John Nicholson, farmer, was born in England, August 2, 1819. He came to New York June 2, 1844, and thence to Detroit, Mich., where he remained some six years. Later he spent five years in Ann Arbor, engaged in farming. He came to Akron, Tuscola County, Mich., October 26, 1855, and with his brother, Thomas Nicholson, settled on 160 acres of land which they had bought in 1853, in section 12. The only road then in the region was a winding trail among the trees of the forest, since known as the Watrousville and Sebewaing road...Mr. J. Nicholson's marriage was to Miss Jane M. Wade, of Crawford County, Penn., who now shares with him the rewards of their former toils and encounters. Mr. Thomas Nicholson lost his partner, Mrs. Jane Nicholson, by death, in 1863, but endures his loss with hope that by and by they shall meet where parting shall be no more.
from History of Tuscola and Bay Counties, Michigan, by H. R. Page & Co., Chicago, 1888, page 130.
Submitted by Sherrye Woodworth July 2000.
Back to Akron Home Page