Dean B. Hill Bollinger Co
- Dean B. Hill, a prominent citizen of
Bollinger County, Mo., is a son of
John S. and Sarah E. Hill, who were married in 1853.
John S. Hill was
reared and educated in West Tennessee, and when a young man
In early life he served as sheriff of
Tenn., and afterward removed to Trenton, Gibson Co., Tenn., and
there some time engaged at bookkeeping and writing in the various
He then engaged in the mercantile business at
but in 1869 removed his family to St. Louis, where he was
several years as traveling salesman, first for R.B. Price & Co.,
hatters; second for Crow & Hill, and next for a drug firm.
Louis he removed to New Orleans and began working at his trade
since which time he has visited the sanctums of some of the best
printing offices in the world.
His wife departed this
life on March 11,
1868, at Trenton, Tenn.
She was the mother of four
children: Dean B.,
Emmerson, Mary (who died at the age of seventeen years) and Emma
now resides with her brother, Dean B.).
The subject of
this sketch was
born in Madison County, Tenn., on June 24, 1855.
attended the common
schools, and Andrew College, Trenton, Tenn., and, after coming to
Missouri, the public schools of Cape Girardeau County.
The family were
separated in St. Louis, and Dean B. and Emmerson came to
Missouri and engaged to work for B.F. Cannon, near Jackson.
with him awhile, they started to Kansas, but their wagon gave
Dean B. stopped in Bollinger County, and remained four years
F. Limbaugh, after which he stayed with Robert Drum, engaged in
clerking, doing the chores and attending school.
1877 he managed
Mrs. Mary E. Limbaugh's farm and put in the crop next year, when
married Mrs. Limbaugh.
She was born in 1843, and is a
daughter of David
and Catherine Smith.
Suffering from heart disease and
Hill went to Southern Montana and remained six months, when he
home in good health.
Mr. and Mrs. Hill have two
children: Mattie L. and
In 1872 Mr. Hill united with the Methodist
South, and since then has served as trustee, and as Sunday-school
superintendent for six years.
He served as school
director one year,
and in 1887 was appointed by Gov. Marmaduke associate judge of
county court. [p. 832]
Goodspeed's History of
Southeast Missouri, [p. 832]