William F. Kinder Bollinger Co
William F. Kinder, treasurer of Bollinger County, Mo., was born
Girardeau County, in 1830, and is a son of Jonathan and Sophia
Jonathan Kinder was of German
descent, born in North
Carolina in 1800, and when but ten years of age came with his
Henry Kinder, to Missouri, and located near Bessville, Bollinger
At that time this territory belonged to Upper
was an unbroken wilderness, teeming with wild animals and
Henry Kinder spent the remainder of his life here.
Kinder's marriage he located near his father's farm, but in a
bought a farm of 400 acres nine miles east of Marble Hill, and
there until his death, in 1868.
His wife was also of
German descent and
was born in North Carolina, in 1803.
She is still
living and is the
mother of nine children, eight of whom are living: Alfred,
of John Cofer), Mary, William F., Jefferson, Elizabeth, Evaline
Louis Thomas) and Ellison.
William F. grew to manhood
on his father's
farm, receiving his education in the common schools.
1858 he married
Miss Mary E., daughter of Daniel Clippard, of Cape Girardeau
Mrs. Kinder was botn in that county in 1825.
children have been
born to them: Edward, Arabella (wife of J.G. Finney, editor of
Hill Press), Linus, Mason, Lyman, May and Thurman.
After his marriage
Mr. Kinder located near his birthplace and engaged in
Gavel Hill, but in 1859 he removed to Marble Hill.
the war broke
out he gave up merchandising and engaged in farming until peace
restored, when he resumed selling goods at his home, and in 1869
returned to Marble Hill, where he continued until 1880, meeting
He now has an interest in the store of
Sample & Kinder,
In 1856 Mr. Kinder was elected assessor
Girardeau County, and held the office two years.
1874 he was elected
treasurer of Bollinger County, and was re-elected in 1876, 1878,
and 1886, the last time having no opponent.
It need not
be said that he
has made an able and efficient officer.
Mr. Kinder has
been a life-long
Democrat, casting his fist vote for Franklin Pierce in 1852. he
wife are member of the Presbyterian Church. [p. 834-835]
Goodspeed's History of
Southeast Missouri, [p. 834-835]