was formed in 1845
the county seat is
Clarkton in Dunklin County
- Clarkton is located 16 miles
north of Kennett and 28 miles from Dexter City, on the C. A.
& T. R. R. It had one church, 1 school, 2 hotels, 1 wagon
and cabinet shop, 1 drug, 1 grocery, 1 mill and cotton gin, and
about 350 inhabitants.
(**Campbell's Gazetteer of
Missouri, 1874, p. 200.)
Clarkton was founded about 1860, and
named in honor of Henry E. Clark, a contractor on the pole or
plank road between Clarkton and Weaversville. The first settler
on thet site of the town was Dr. Skaggs, who sold out to a man
named Parker. Parker sold his interest to John Tinkerman, who
with a partner named Muse opened the first store.
In 1888 Clarkton had a population of about 300. It had a good
school building, three churches, six stores and a grist-mill.
(**Hist. of Southeast Missouri, pp. 474,
It is located at Sections 15 & 22, Twp. 21 N, R. 10 E, at
the junction of Highways J, 25 & 62.
Towns and wide places in the road in
Dunklin County Mo
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor to this site since
November 06, 2005