was formed in 1845
the county seat is
Kennett in Dunklin County
- Kennett the county seat, 41 miles
south of Dexter, had about 250 inhabitants, with one church, one
grocery store and 4 dry goods stores. The court house was
burned in 1871.
(**Gazetteer of Missouri, p. 200.)
Kennett was laid out in 1846, near a village of the
Delaware Indians, under the Chief
Chilliticoux, by which
name it was known until 1849, when the Legislature changed
it to Butler. About 1850-51, the name
changed to Kennett...The first court house was a log
building, erected on the public square in 1847. It was
destroyed during the Civil War, and about 1870 a large
frame building was begun. It was scarcely completed
when it was burned with all its contents.
The first store was opened in a house on the north side of
the public square, by Elbert C. Spiller, who
remained for several years, but finally returned to
Illinois from which state he came.
(**Hist. of Southeast
Missouri, pp. 473, 474.)
It covers several sections in Twp. 18 & 19, R 9 E, at the
junction of Highways 84, 25, VV, west of Z.
Towns and wide places in the road in
Dunklin County Mo
You are the [an error occurred while processing this directive] visitor to this site since
November 06, 2005