John T. Harris
Goodspeed's History of Southeast Missouri
Biographies of Scott County, 1888
John T. Harris was born in Cape Girardeau City, Mo., in 1850, and is a son of John and Winifred (Baldwin) Harris. John Harris was born in Wales in 1807, and when about fourteen years of age entered a blacksmith and machine shop as an apprentice, and remained seven years. Soon after finishing his trade he sailed for America, and landing at New York City, remained there two or three years. He first married Ann Owens, of Welsh descent, by whom he had three children, one of whom died in childhood. The other two Sarah E. and Anna, grew to maturity, married and reared families, but are now dead. From New York he removed to Ohio and located, but after a short time came to Missouri, and located in Dunklin County, and engaged in farming. He was one of the commissioners appointed to locate the seat of justice of Dunklin County. About six years later his wife died, and he removed to Cape Girardeau City in 1847, and remained until 1849, working at his trade. In 1849 he married Winifred Baldwin, who was born in Scott County, Mo., in 1818. Her parents were John and Rachel Baldwin. The former was born in Virginia in 1771 and the latter in Georgia in 1778. They married in Georgia, and lived there for some time. In 1803 they came to Scott County, Mo., and settled on a farm on the Mississippi River, five miles above commerce, where they reared a large family, and remained there until their deaths. About the time of his second marriage, Mr. Harris, in partnership with Mr. Baldwin, built a ferry-boat, which they ran until it sank four years later. Previously, Jesse Criddelle had purchased Mr. Baldwin's interest, and he and Mr. Harris built a new boat, which they ran until June 1859. The latter then worked at his trade, and engaged in farming on his land, near the present site of the Southeast Missouri Normal School building. In 1866 he removed to a farm four miles north of Cape Girardeau where he resided until his death in 1876. His wife died in 1866. By this union he had eight children: John T., Mary S., William E., Emma A. and Francis C. (twins), Benjamin F., Ella J. and Eugene W. Francis C. and Benjamin F. died in childhood. In 1869 Mr. Harris married Margaret Hempstead. She died in 1877. John T. Harris remained with his parents until 1872 when he went to Dunklin County, and remained two years teaching school. He then attended the Southeast Missouri Normal for eighteen months, after which he came to Scott County, and taught school five consecutive terms, in what is known as the Ranney schoolhouse. In 1877 he located on the place on which he now resides in Kelso Township, Scott County, but in 1882 he removed to a farm near the river, and resided four years, when he returned to his present home. His marriage to Miss Sue Hinman was celebrated in 1877. She was born in Cape Girardeau County on December 3, 1854 and is the daughter of William M. and Emily Hinman, the father born in Indiana in October, 1820 and the mother in Cape Girardeau County, Mo., in October, 1826. They reside four miles forth of Cape Girardeau and are the parents of six children: Jane, Effie, and Ida (twins), Sue, Cora C. and Emma. Ida died when thirty two years of age. Mr. Harris is a prosperous farmer, and is a member of the A.O.U.W. He and wife have had five children: I. Gertrude, U. Ethel (deceased), Amelia Irene, Irl H. and Marvin J.
Submitted by Connie Perkins
This site is a AHGP Project which is a volunteer genealogical organization dedicated to the free access of genealogical information. NOTE: If you run across a site thats charges a fee to view these pages, please let me know
This is a free site. There is not a charge to view these pages.
Return To -H- Biographies
You are the: 590th Visitor to this USGenNet Website Since May 19, 2008.