Schweich, Germany






Camp Funston to France

Liffol le Grande to Front

Lucey Sector

San Mihiel Offensive

Meuse-Argonne Offensive

The Occupation of Germany











The following lines recite in a general way the part taken by "B" Company, 356th Infantry, in the World War; together with some of the facts and incidents attached to the periods of training and the period between the signing of the armistice on November 11th, 1918, and the departure of the organization for the port of embarkation on May, 6th, 1919.

Owing to the very limited time allotted to the writing, and again to the endless chain of detail that might be started upon, effort has been made to cling to the strict history of the organization and to touch few, if any, personal experiences.


Sergeant M. WALDO HATLER [Medal of Honor]





The history of Company "B" 356th Infantry, 89th Division, divides itself into six different phases; and these will each be covered in the following order.

1. The Organization and Training at Camp Funston, Kansas

2. Training at Liffol le Grande, France.

3. The Holding of the Lines in the Lucey Scetor.

4. The San Mihiel Offensive.

5. The Meuse-Argonne Offensive.

6. The Occupation of Germany.





The Company was organized at Camp Funston, Kansas, on the 3rd day of September 1917, under the command of Captain Mark Hanna. The first officers of the Company were graduates of the first Officer’s Training Camp, held at fort Riley, Kansas. Missouri and Kansas furnished most of the first men of the Company through later many men came from States farther west. A vigorous course of training was gone through during the nine months the Company was in this Camp. From time to time additional men were received and men sent to other organizations. Many of these latter were specially trained and went immediately for oversea duty. The Company has good cause to be proud of the records of many of these detachments. Much humor was attached to this early stage in the training of Company "B" ’s men. But with their blue denim suits and wooden rifles they had the makings of good soldiers. The duties and obligations of a soldier were taught those first contingents of men and they in turn taught comrades coming later. Many hardships were endured during these first months of the making of the great National Army. Cold and wind, Sand and mud, prevented the men from, always being comfortable; but this only toughened them for the later hardships of the battlefield. The Company had a clean record and were second to none in military courtesy, training and cleanliness. It was Company "B" that was called on to throw out guards and Patrols on the tragic night of the bank robbery and murder – never to be forgotten in the annals of Camp Funston. During the last days and nights, very one was busy in getting outfitted for overseas. It was a common and comical sight to see an officer rousing a man off his cot in the wee hours of the morning to make sure that he had two identification tags or the required number of shoelaces.

On the 23rd day of May, the Company boarded a train for Camp Mills, Long Island, New York; but no one knew the route of the destination, and many were the wagers made as to the probable port of embarkation. Many tips of information were sold the boys and acting on this they sent telegrams to sweethearts and relatives only to find that the train took an entirely different route. The trip on the whole was uneventful save when the train was detained by a wreck ahead at Homer, Illinois. The hospitality of the people of that little town will never be forgotten by our men, and many of the lads made the acquaintance of some delightful correspondents. In fact, it is rumored that one half of Company "B" ‘s mail comes from Homer, Ill. It was during this trip that one platoon was exposed to measles and later, when the Company sailed, these men were left at Camp Mills, under the command of Lt. Miller, all of whom later joined the organization in France. The Company spent one week at Camp Mills and many passes were granted for New York City. Some additional equipment was drawn and the Company took boat on June the 3rd, 1918, at the Cunard pier, New York City.

It was one o’clock on the afternoon of June 4th that the good ship "Corona", "gently eased away" and slipped out past the Goddess of liberty with thousands of Doughboys on board. It was a moment never to be forgotten by those on board knowing that they were passing into a sea filled with dangers, and then into the chaos of war and that many of them would never see their native land again. Notwithstanding that the submarine menace along the Atlantic seaboard, as well as the usually infested seas was very grave at that time, the journey was very quiet and uneventful. The necessity of hurried transit made crowding necessary and the men had to endure many privations. The food was not of the best and the wormy bread and half spoiled rabbit meat has furnished a fruitful topic of conversation ever since. It was not many days out that "Snake Baublits" [Corp. Charles R. Baublits of Parnell, Mo.] proved that his stomach was not weak by putting his lunch the furthest overboard. During the passage many hidden qualities and talents developed in some of the men, while many of the lads learned to "read ‘em and weep". Some of the men replenished their purses by buying fruit etc., at wholesale prices at the canteen and retailing to the other men. Owing to the fact that we were lined up every day for boat drill and chased about to allow the crew to scrub deck, it became a common thing to hear, "Get off this deck. You can’t stay here". –

The Coronia was one of the fleet of nine English vessels and a few hundred miles off the Irish coast, the fleet was met by a flotilla of submarine chasers. From their northern course, the ships came down through the Irish Sea between Ireland and Scotland and it was some of the rugged headlands of those countries that gave the men their first sight of land. Anchors were dropped at Liverpool, England on the 15th day of June 1918, and the troops were unloaded on the 16th. The trip had taken eleven days and an average speed of about eleven knots per hour had been attained. The troops were marched through Liverpool to a supposedly rest camp, named Knotty Ash, which in the opinion of most of the men did not belie its name. It was a camp notorious for its lack of food. A few cases of illness developed and these men were left to rejoin us later, and in two days the troops moved by train to Southampton, England. They had disembarked at Liverpool in a rainstorm and they were again drenched at Southampton. After the men had finally crawled into some open sided tents on empty stomachs the news was spread that a hot supper awaited them at the upper end of the camp. A rush was immediately made for same, which proved to be over a quarter of a mile distant and was nothing more of less than a half cup of very bitter tea. For once "B" Company was on the verge of mutiny.

On the night of June the 19th the Company sailed on board H.M.S. Viper for Le Havre, France, and landed on the morning of the 20th. The troops marched to another rest camp on a high hill behind the city for Le Havre where they stayed until the evening of the 22nd of June. It was there that the boys made their acquaintance with "Vin Rouge" and "Vin Blanc", and many were the dollar bills they passed out for a twenty-five cent bottle of wine. This trade was forbidden by the authorities; but splendid business relations were established through the high barbed wire fences by means of a piece of cord tied to the neck of a bottle. On the evening of the 22nd the troops boarded the French trains some riding "8 chevaux –40 hommes". Such a ride! The men floundered and snored and cursed and groaned, trying to sleep. Some of the men rode in cars having seats and they invariably crawled beneath the seats and made their beds.



The Company arrived at Liffiol le Grande after a day and night ride. A vigorous course of training was immediately undertaken. It was at this point that Lt. Miller and his casuals again joined the organization. Several officers and men were sent to special schools and the Company rapidly became an organization, trained in the intricacies of modern warfare. During this period Company "B" was called on for a practice raid on a network of trenches near Liffol. This they did in such a style that they won the hearty commendation and confidence of Divisional officers. The men soon became accustomed to French ways and customs; but they never until this day have learned to appreciate the monetary value of the franc. While in this camp the service hats and canvass leggings were discarded for the overseas cap and wrapped leggings. For many days each man conducted private experiments to determine the proper slant for his cap and the correct way to encase his lower extremities in the new leggings. The gas mask and steel helmet soon arrived and they caused even more dismay and consternation in the ranks. At that time a march with a full pack and wearing a gas mask was a doughboys idea of a concrete example of the agonies of Hell. It was there also that our lads were equipped with the French Chauchat Automatic Rifle. These guns kill as well and fatigue as otherwise.

Many of the men cultivated warlike dispositions in Liffol by engaging in fistic bouts; and it is rumored that one "kleine" cook broke a fellow soldiers nose in three places. The scouts and snipers for the Battalion were organized at Liffol and the nucleus there formed remained throughout the war. At last orders came to move just before the men had completed their task of enforcing prohibition by drinking the town dry. On August the 4th the Company loaded into American trucks, in route to the front, being part of the first Division to move by American Truck Transportation. Company "B" was now commanded by Captain J. C. Hansen, Captain Hanna having been made operations officer of the 356th Infantry. The Company traveled in comparative comfort and passing through Toul disembussed at Boucq, France, on the night of August the 4th. We were several miles behind the front lines and on a quiet sector at that; but the sound of the guns could be heard and an occasional flash from a rocket or gun seen. To a veteran it must have been comical to have seen the men slipping out to chow by twos and threes the next day. Not being shot up that first day, the Company moved on the night of the 5th to the support position at Raulecourt, in the Lucey Sector and relieved a company of the 82nd Division.




We are now up against the real thing and the guns could be heard day and night. Sometimes our slumber would be broken by the distant call of a gas claxon, and not a day passed but what we witnessed the aerial bombardment of aero planes both friendly and hostile by anti-aircraft guns. There was a gun at Raulecourt called "Betsy" that won the admiration of every man in "B" Company. When old "Betsy" belched, it was apt to be destruction for some Boche flyer, thigh we witnessed the performance of hundreds of other guns in later days, which scored few, if any hits. On August the 15th the Company moved forward about one and one-half kilometers to Bouconville where the relief of the Battalion holding the front line trenches was made. The men quickly adopted themselves to the new order of things and ere long a mess of "cooties" was of more concern that a gas alarm. With the advent of the 89th Division, some of the quietness of this sector was replaces by activity. Vigorous and constant patrolling was done and several of the men of the Company came in contact with enemy snipers. The Company was in the trenches just to the west of Xivray and at 4:00 A.M. on August 19th, a young barrage was thrown on Xivray and the trenches just behind by the Germans. The Company had all the sensations of "standing to " to repel a raid or attack; but it never materialized. Three of "B" Company’s men were on an observation post in Xivray at the time. "B" Company’s position was directly in front of the great Mont Sec which spelled havoc for the French in the early days of the war. Many French graves were to be found about Bouconville. There was a dense strip of woods between our lines and the above mentioned hill and in later days we learned how well the enemy had been prepared to defend this position as well as the high grounds. In front of his trenches he had a double set of barbed wire entanglements with trip wire in between. He had a heavy fence within the woods, which could be electrified. All points of advantage were commanded by machine gun nest. Within the woods he had dugouts of brick and cement twenty and thirty feet deep. These were lighted by electricity. Outside the wood, on meadow land, he had constructed dugouts carefully camouflaged. The dirt taken from the holes was placed in Piles with crater like holes in the center, which gave the exact impression of a shell hole in an aerial photo. Mont Sec itself was tunneled and cross tunneled. These tunnels provided kitchens, sleeping quarters, ammunition dumps. Observation posts and machine gun nests. It was a position practically impossible to take in a direct frontal attack. From that position the company dropped back to Cornieville for a few days in reserve and then moved back to the support position again, While at Cornieville the enemy aviators slipped over and bagged several of the large observation balloons. They would come like a thunderbolt out of a clear sky, drop the balloon in flames and then whiz back amid the chatter of our machine guns. From Roulecourt we moved to Ansauville on the night of September 8th. The course of the company was along the line of the preparation for a great artillery barrage and the confusion and congestion of traffic made the progress of the company very difficult. The work of Captain Schwinn (who was then Lieutenant) on that night is to be commended. A day and night was then spent in Hazel woods and on the night of September 11th the company massed in the trenches a few hundred yards west of Flirey ready to "Go over the Top".




At 1:00 o’clock on the morning of the 12th the Artillery behind us, which stood hub to hub, threw over the greatest barrage mankind has ever witnessed. The Americans stood knee deep in water drenched to the skin by the rain and listened to the terrific explosion of the tons of shells which passed over their heads. The sky was blazing for miles, rockets went up by the hundreds from the enemy lines and amid all this din and havoc many a man was finding himself that night. Timid boys turned into courageous men during those few hours. "H" hour was 5:00 A.M. and promptly on time the army stepped off, for a time the going was difficult for the ground had literally been plowed by the huge shells. Ere long the dug outs and trenches were giving up a steady stream of prisoners. They were awe stricken by the mighty barrage followed by the brown waves of American soldiers. The command of the company was taken by 1st Lieut. E. L. Webb on the afternoon of the first day, Captain Hanson having been wounded. A forced march was made on the night of the 12th and by the close of the 13th we had passed our last objective and reached the line of exploitation. The company was then drawn back from this advanced position for about a kilometer, established liaison with other units and continued to hold until September 21st. During this period a great amount of shelling of the enemy was suffered and one gas attack endured. Several causalities were inflicted on us at this point. First Lieut. W. H. Schwinn took command of the company while in this position, Lieut. Webb being detailed as Adjutant of the 356th Infantry. From these positions in Dampitoux and Xammes woods much patrolling and observation work was done. The food problem was very grave at times during this period and work of Company "B" cooks in getting food to the front and cooking under difficulties is to be commended. The morale of the company was excellent at all times, and the training received there stood the company in well in all later operations. Every man becomes a sleuth in his movements and very adept at digging in. They learned to stand cold and hunger and danger in the best of spirits. On the night of September 21st the Company was ordered back about seven miles to a reserve positions south of Essey, France. "B" Company was forced to make this hike on a very dark night without guides and the positions had not been reached but a few hours until the Battalion was ordered back to raid Dom Martin woods. The company was called out on the reverse slope of a hill and told of the raid by Lieut. Schwinn. The men were to travel in pairs from the jumping off point and each man had a white band around his arm. The return march of seven miles was make and at the given hour the barrage of 75’s and machine guns lifted and nearly a thousand men dashed across no man’s land on the double. The raid was completed in a few minutes; but not without casualties. The prisoners taken imparted valuable information to headquarters. It was a wet weary foot sore bunch of men who straggled back to their holes miles away; but they had pulled the trick as they had been taught back at Liffil-le-Grande weeks before. After the return from the raid the company received replacements from the 39th division. These men were mostly from the Southern States and for the most part made excellent soldiers. The company was sent back to the Xammes woods for a few days and then moves a few kilometers over to a position near Thiaucourt. Nothing of monument happened at that position and on Oct. 8th a hike to the rear began. At Sanzey, France. The company embossed for parts unknown. Many were the rumors as to our destination the most popular conjecture was that we were returning to Liffil-le-Grande for a well earned rest, but no such luck – "we had just begun to fight". We were moved rapidly to the Argonne Sector by our Chinese drivers. These chauffeurs were a comical bunch. They were about five feet tall on the average. They chattered like a bunch of monkeys’. Each man had a fur overcoat which attracted the longing eyes of our men; but we did not wish to mix the breeds of cooties. These chinks all had coal black teeth. They carried a kitchen with them and some of our lads with reversible stomachs ate some of their rice and slum.




We unloaded near Recicourt, France a hungry tired bunch of men. Ere long the dismal news reached us that our cooks and kitchen were lost. Mess Sergeant Vogt, who had traveled with us, then stepped in and saved the day. Many meals he cooked on an open fire in pots and cans found by the roadside. Day and night he and his volunteer cooks toiled to feed Company "B". October 14th the outfit started up through the Argonne over one of the fiercest battlefields of the war. We stopped for a few days near Epionville at a place the boys called "mud valley" where we remained until October 19th. At this point we were within easy range of the Boche Artillery and great precautions was taken not to show fires at night. Not withstanding our nearness to the enemy. Some "over the top" maneuvers were rehearsed. Every man slept in a hole regardless of mud and water. It was here we learned to sleep next door neighbors to big guns and not lose any sleep. Three large French guns were in our valley and every night they sent over their greetings. Our kitchen finally caught up with us only to be nearly lost again in the deep mud … and in a few days we went "over the top".

Ever and anon a Dutch aeroplane would drop propaganda in our lines. It always met with ridicule and scorn. Such stuff as they sent over was enough to make a man’s blood boil if taken seriously. Following is an exact replica of one such sheet dropped among the boys of company "B".




"Do your part to put an end to the war! Put an end to your part of it. Stop fighting! That’s the simplest way. You can so it, you soldiers, just stop fighting and the war will end of its own accord. You are not fighting for anything anyway. What does it matter to you who owns Metz or Strassburg, you never saw those towns nor knew the people in them, so what do you care about them? But there is a little town back home in little old United States you would like to see and if you keep on fighting here in the hope of getting a look at those old German fortresses you may never see home again.

The only way to stop the war is to stop fighting. That’s easy. Just quite it and slip across ‘No Man’s Lands’ and join the bunch that’s taking it easy there waiting to be exchanged and taken home. There is no disgrace in that. That bunch of American prisoners will be welcomed just as warmly as you who stick it out in these infernal trenches. Get wise and get over the top.

There is nothing in the glory of keeping up the war. But think of the increasing taxes you will have to pay the longer the war last the larger those taxes at home will be. Get wise and get over.

All the fine words about glory and tommy rot. You haven’t got any business fighting in France. You would better be fighting the money trust at home instead of fighting your fellow soldiers in gray over here where it doesn’t rally matter tow sticks to you how the war goes.

Your country needs you; your family needs you and you need your life for something better than being gases, shot at, deafened by cannon shots and rendered unfit physically by the miserable life you must live here.

The tales they tell you of the cruelties of German prison camps are fairy tales. Of course you may not like being a prisoner of war. But anything is better than this infernal place with no hope of escape except by being wounded after which you will only be sent back for another hole in your body.

Wake up and stop the war! You can if you want to. Your government does not mean to stop the war for years to come and the years are going to be long and dreary. You better come over while the going is good."

On October the 19th we moved up near Romagne, France on to the front line relieving units of the 32nd Division. They had left a Corporal to show Company "B" its position and he was utterly unable to tell us who was on the right or left and he told us that other American units were further in front. Acting on this information the company P.C. was established near a little shack and a fine spring a few hundred yards in front of the company. To our dismay we learned before morning that the P.C. was in "no man’s land". The company under went a heavy shelling and some gas that night suffering casualties. It was at this position that Bugler Meek and runner Brittain had the uncanny experience of being blown up in a building by a gas shell and not seriously injured. The spirits of the officers and men were at a low ebb the next morning. The woods were filled with the dead of the 32nd Division, the shelling was almost continuous. Everything was wet and sloppy and the men were suffering for food and drinking water. The cooks made desperate efforts to get food to us at this place; but by the time it reached us it was all soured and we could hardly eat it. The company moved forward and made a forced march into the Bois de Bantheville. The woods were thick and it was a difficult task to push ahead routing the enemy machine gunners killing and capturing many. "B" company had its share of the fighting and took its objective and dug in. The night following the advances Lieut. Schwinn, Sgt. Halter and Private Buehrer in going from one platoon to another ran into a German Patrol. In the mix up that followed, two Boche were "Ka-Put" and a third returned as a guest of "B" Company. When relieved in this forest the company made a long hard march back to a hillside near Gesnes, France. The company had the pleasure of making its prisoners carry some heavy Dutch machine guns over this march. Our men were never called upon for a harder march. They have made longer ones it is true but never one where it called for so much grit to stay in ranks. In some places the mud was knee deep and the men clung to their heavy packs and Chauchot rifles though they had suffered for want of food for days. The real offensive began on November 1st, 1918, and on November 3rd Company "B" was part of the assaulting wave, which attacked to the left of Barricourt in a northeasterly direction. On the night of the 2nd the company went over close behind the front line men. It was a terrible night, everyone was wet to the skin and mud was encountered everywhere. The company halted for eight minutes and everything not absolutely needed was thrown by the wayside. The road was lined with the dead and the intermittent artillery and machine gun fire was anything by pleasant. When it came our turn to lead in the assault the enemy had been driven back beyond a ridge of the hills and had formed his line to command a large horseshoe valley surrounded on three sides by dense woods and overlooked on the left by a high hill. We plunged into this valley without hesitation though we had no supporting artillery and very little machine gun assistance. We had no more than passed over the crest of the last hill when our men began falling. A deadly fire was poured into that valley from the surrounding woods and especially from a little town to the left and from the hill on the left. Lieut. Schwinn and headquarters platoon charged this town on the double and routed a number of the enemy from the hill above no doubt saving the lives of many men who were still in the valley. Our losses in those few minutes were very heavy; but every man who died or fell had his face to the front. That night the company "dug-in" in a deep woods. In every hole one man was required to keep awake all the time. We were shelled by the enemy; but though many shells hit among us we suffered no casualties. The cries of the wounded in our rear could be heard all night long and was very distressing. An enemy aero plane hovered over our positions for hours with a huge search light; but kind fate was with us that might. On the morning of the 4th of November we pushed further on and without serious mishap arrived on the Meuse River on the night of November 5th. If was there in a little dugout by candle light that Lieut. Schwinn signed acceptance of his commission as Captain and he later took command of the battalion for several days, "B" company being in the command of Lieut. Miller in his absence. On the night after reaching the Meuse River Lieut. Miller and his platoon successfully accomplished one of the most difficult tasks of liaison ever attempted in "B" company. On November 4th and 5th the company was repeatedly attacked by aero planes using both bombs and machine guns. Lieut. Hanks, who was later transferred to the 2nd Division, while out on a patrol was chased several hundred yards by an aero plane. On the night of November 8th three patrols from the battalion were sent to reconnoiter the banks of the Meuse River. Thirty-six men went on this mission all of who, were volunteers. Eight of them being from "B" Company, six men attempted to swim the river, two of whom were drowned, and two succeeded in crossing and re-crossing. The men who volunteered for this dangerous mission from "B" company were Sergeant Halter, Sgt. Carson, Sgt. Maire, Corporal Robinson, Corp. Fisher, Corp. Wilson, Mechanic Armstrong and Private 1st Class Heitkamp. On the night of November 10th under cover of a barrage the engineers threw a boat into the river and the further advance was started. The first battalion was in the assault, company "B" being in the second wave. A great deal of artillery fire was encountered but our company suffered only two casualties that night though a number of men were killed in the near vicinity. Time and again the battalion was held up for a few moments by rifle fire: but the general advance was continued all night long. Fifty-five prisoners were captured by the battalion that night all of whom were turned over to Company "B" to guard. At eleven o’clock next day the enemy began blowing bugles and our prisoners could hardly restrain their joy. We half believed they were right when they said the Armistice had been declared; but not until we had started to move again in the afternoon did our men know for certain that their work was ended. Immediately everyone began building fires which before that time had been a forbidden luxury.

Later we learned that the 1st battalion was deeply wedged into the enemy’s position at the time of the Armistice and, in fact. Was nearly surrounded by the enemy. Had our advance not been checked by the "powers to be" no doubt much bitter fighting would have been our lot in the days to come. Thus ended "B" company’s part in the world’s greatest tragic play. In her few months in the war she tasted and drank all the dregs in a soldier’s cup; but she never failed in her duty and never failed to advance and take her objectives. Her citizen soldiers had earned their place by the side of the most seasoned veterans.




Captain Schwinn being ill the company was marched back across the Meuse, by Lieut. Miller to Halles, France, where it remained until November 24th. The 89th Division was then ordered into the army of occupation and the long march into Germany began. The 356th Infantry marched to Stenay, France, on the first day, leaving early on the morning of the 25th, arriving at Meix, Belgium, the same day. This was considered the hardest days work of the whole march, as a distance of 35 kilos was covered. Strict march discipline had not yet been established. The reception at Meix was most cordial by the inhabitants and the four days spent there were days of complete rest and recuperation. Thanksgiving was spent at this place the men having "iron rations" for their feast. On November 30th the troops marched from Meix to Musson, a distance of about 20 kilos. On December 1st short march of 7 kilos was made from Musson to Habergy. December 2nd a long march was made from the last stopping place in Belguim to Holzem in the Dutchy of Luxemburg, a distance of 24 kilos, and on the following day a hike of 25 kilos brought the company to Altsingen. 20 kilos on December 4th was covered, the company stopping at Steinhelm for the night on the banks of the river Sauer, the dividing line between Luxumbourg and Germany. A days rest was enjoyed at Steinhelm and on December 6th the company first set foot on German soil and that day marched to Speicher. A distance of 25 kilos. The next day, December 7th was another march day and a distances of 18 kilos was covered in the march to Grosslitgen. December 8th was spent in rest and Bleckhausen was reached on Dec. 9th, a distance of 15 kilos. 13 more kilos brought the troops to Daun on December 13th; a different mode of travel was then adopted and on December 14th the company dropped back by truck to Waxweller, a distance of 48 kilos. On this trip the company kitchen was very nearly destroyed and a great amount of food was lost. A period of 5 days was spent in Waxweller and on December 20th the company marched 22 kilos to Bitburg, where the company again embussed and on December 21st arrived at the little village of Schwiech on the Mosel River. The valley of the Mosel is noted for its world famous wine and its mild climate. The men were given good billets at this place and stayed until May 6th, 1919. Enough drill was always given the men during these months to prevent staleness and the efficiencies of the organization was always kept at the top notch of frequent rigid inspections. Practice hikes with full packs were also inaugurated and no doubt some one has thought out a good reason for that. Once the organization became settled the mail service became better and it was not long until letters were making the long trip overseas in from fifteen to twenty days. This rule did not apply to Xmas boxes as some of them are still in transit. Many officers were given employment back in the SERVICE OF SUPPY conduction schools during this period and many of company "B" ’s men were taught the art of taking machine gun nest out of books and carefully prepared by ribbon counter experts. Pass privileges were enjoyed to points of interest in Germany, Great Britain, France, Italy and Belgium. As a diversion many of the men worked on some of the German roads. In later days it became too costly to work the men near the river on account of so many picks and shovels being accidentally lost in the steam. Some fine theatrical talent developed in the different organizations and many good performances were witnesses. A great deal of time was also devoted to athletics and in the line B Company always was well represented. In football she had her backing of marks and francs; but for some strange reason there were no takers. The company shot a splendid score on the rifle range with many expert riflemen developing. While stationed at Schweich the men ate out of real dishes purchased with the company fund (which was not lost during the war) and mess kits were only used for inspection. During the company’s stay at Schweich the three following named officers were attached to it: 1st Lieut. Edward F. Gallagher, 2nd Lieut. J.A. Montee and 2nd Lieut. J. W. Anderson. The 89th Division was inspected on April 23rd by General Pershing and pronounced ready to return to the good old U.S.A. on or about May 6th 1919. "B" company had finished the race; she had run a good course.






No Casualties Aug. 5th to Sept 12th, 1918.



Sept. 12th 1918.


Killed in Action:

Frank Hatlage, [kin: Mrs. Louisa Hatlage, 1321 2nd, St. Louis, Mo]


Wounded in Action:

Capt. J. C. Hansen.

Corp. Chas P. Langen (deceased). [kin: none listed]

Pvt. Allen T. Keene. [Slightly Wounded]

[Pvt. Christian H. Christensen, Severely Wounded]


Wounded Accidentally:

Pvt. Bernard Cowell. [Cornwell, Wounded Degree Undetermined 09-16-1918]




Sept. 21st 1918.

Wounded in Action:

2nd Lt. Joseph P. Bach.

Corp. Francis M. David, [Severely Wounded, Gassed 09-21-1918]

Corp. Raleigh M. Caldwell. [Gassed]

Bugler Ralph McClain, [Gassed]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Theora Snethen, [Gassed]

Pvt. Walter Terowicz.

Pvt. Ansatacie Trujille, [Gassed]

Pvt. Chas. A. McCarty, [Degree Undetermined]

Pvt. Walter O. Hill. [Severely Wounded]


Sept. 23rd 1918.

Killed in Action:

Pvt. Harry Dickinson, [kin: Jasper W. Dickinson, Adams, Nebraska]

Wounded in Action:

Sgt. Herbert L. Wilkinson. [Severely Wounded]

Corp. Rhinehold E. Dietzschold.

Pvt. Raymond J. Lash.

[Pvt. Raymond V. Lash, Severely Wounded 09-23-1918]

[Pvt. 1cl., Marion W. Wing, Severely Wounded 09-23-1918]

[Pvt. Young, Severely Wounded 09-23-1918]


Sept. 25th 1918.

Wounded Accidentally:

Pvt. Albert Johnson.

[Pvt. Albert Johnson, Slightly Wounded 09-25-1918]



Oct. 20th 1918.


Killed in Action:

Mech. Paul C. Phelps, [kin: May Vance, Peru, Indiana]

Wounded in Action:

Pvt. 1s Cl. Fay M. Corrough. [Severely Wounded]

Pvt. Lucien W. Harris (deceased) [kin: Mrs. Florence Harris, Venable, Mo]

Pvt. Harlan Walls. [Severely Wounded]

Pvt. Paul E. Turner. [Severely Wounded]

Wounded Accidentally:

Pvt. Charles W. Coffman, [Severely Wounded]

Pvt. Olen B. Brattain.

Died of Disease: Corp. Carl R. Oglesby.

[Pvt. 1cl. James E. Meek, Bugler, Gassed 10-20-1918]

[Corp. Earl M. Brittain, runner, Gassed 10-20-1918]



Oct. 21st 1918.

Killed in Action: Pvt. Anastacie S. Garcia, [kin: Jesse Garcia, Albuquerque, NM]

Pvt. George P. Holtman, [kin: Peter Holtman, 1703 Washington, St. Louis]

Pvt. Burrell S. Nunn, [kin: William R. Numm, Buffalo, Missouri.]

Pvt. William G. [P.] Parker,[kin: John Parker, Boyce, LA.]

Wounded in Action: Pvt. Willie Roe.

Pvt. George B. Tate, [Severely Wounded]

Pvt. Griffie Pitts.

Missing in Action: Pvt. Dempse W. Bass.


Oct. 22nd 1918.

Killed in Action: Corp. Jesse W. David, [kin: Caleb C. David Gen. Del, Darlington, Mo]

Pvt. 1cl John J. McGarry, [kin: Catherine McGarry, Bedison, Missouri]


Wounded in Action:

Corp. Leander A. Richardson [Severely Wounded]

Pvt. William Luking. [Slightly Wounded]

[Pvt. James A. Anderson, Slightly Wounded 10-28-1918]

[Pvt. Palmer Louk, Severely Wounded 10-25-1918]

Nov. 1st 1918.

Sgt. Waldo M. Hatler, 2199881, [Medal of Honor, Pouilly, France, Nov. 1st 1918. [kin: Troy C. Hatler (father), General Delivery, Neosho, Missouri.


Nov. 3rd 1918.

Killed in Action: Sgt. Edward E. Hackman, [kin: Elizabeth Hackman 2717 St. Vincent, St. Louis, Mo.]

Corp. John V. Coonrod, [kin: John R. Coonrod, Arcadia, Kansas]

Corp. Peter F. Galligan, [kin: Mrs. Maggie Galligan, Aspen, Colorado]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Clyde C. Miller, [kin: Mrs. John Miller, Ellsworth, KS]

Pvt. George D. Beaver, [kin: William J. Beaver, Gen. Del. Granby, Mo]

Pvt. Ira C. Brown.

Pvt. George G. Cox.

Pvt. Carl F. Fedderman, [kin: Rose Dwelle, Kelleys Island, Ohio]

Pvt. Wesley K. Hedrick, [kin: Lee Hedrick, Marceline, MO]

Pvt. Thomas Kane.

Pvt. Ewell C. Murray, [kin: George Murray, Box 59, Amite, LA]

Pvt. James A. Nowiekaitys, [kin:Carl Nowiekaitys, 2931 Milwaukee, Chicago]

Pvt. Aubie U. Pate, [kin: J. S. Pate, Mooringsport, LA.]


Wounded in Action: 1st Lieut. Joseph E. Lamy

Sgt. Fred Tucker, [Degree Undetermined]

Sgt. Ira C. Weekley.

Corp. William R. Floyd.

Corp. Ezra McMullin.

Corp. Maurice [Morris] E. Sealey, [Degree Undetermined]

Corp. Charles J. Sebek.

Corp. Andrew J. Scott, [Severely Wounded]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Joseph Archer.

Pvt. 1st Cl. William R. Pittsenbarger.

Pvt. 1st Cl. James L. Smith.

Pvt. Louis V. Bouchon, [Severely Wounded]

Pvt. Clarence S. Cresswell, [Severely Wounded

Pvt. Wesley K. Davis.

Pvt. Robert H. Emery.

Pvt. Gordon Gisclard.

Pvt. Ed. Graham.

Pvt. Leland Hackman, [Degree Undetermined]

Pvt. Charles Hardy (deceased) [kin: Mrs. Mary Hardy, Washburn, Mo]

Pvt. John K. Karr.

Pvt. Henry W. Kastrup, [Severely Wounded]

Pvt. William J. Kerlin.

Pvt. Alva Kirby, [Degree Undetermined]

Pvt. George A. Kuhn, Slightly Wounded]

Pvt. Raymond A. Kuhn, [Degree Undetermined]

Pvt. Frank T. McGowan, (deceased) [kin: Tom McGowan, 1444 N. 22nd, St. Louis, Missouri]

Pvt. Ruel C. Meader, (deceased) [kin: none listed]

Pvt. Louis B. Nelle, [Nalle, Degree Undetermined]

Pvt. James R. Park (deceased) [kin: none listed.]

Pvt. Carl E. Sidler, [Severely Wounded]

Pvt. Jacob Sisners.

Pvt. Clarence H. Smith.

Pvt. Ivan Smith.

Pvt. Fred C. Stephens.

Pvt. Edgar J. Toups, [Degree Undetermined]

Pvt. Lee R. Williams.

[Pvt. William P. A. Groves, Severely Wounded 11-04-1918]

[Corp. Henry A. Goodier, Degree Undetermined 11-07-1918]

[Pvt. Stanley, Allen G., Severely Wounded 11-08-1918]

Missing in Action: Pvt. Peter Sanjyk


Nov. 10th 1918.

Killed in Action: Pvt. William G. Buxton, [kin: Emma L. Buxton, R.F.D.1, Alba, Missouri]

Wounded in Action: Pvt. Bert Dyer.

[Pvt. William Durham, KIA, kin: Mrs. Tilda Alford, Warren, Ky]





We are returning to America leaving you, our comrades and loved ones, sleeping in this foreign land; but we take with us your fond memory. You were our comrades in arms in those dark days of war, bearing our burdens with us, and now that our course is run and we are entering into our reward our hearts are filled with sorrow that you cannot be with us. We shall carry back to your dearer ones at home the message of your faith, your courage and your love. On these bloody fields of France you have achieved the greatest Victory of all mankind, and now to us who live is passed the solemn duty to ever protect and cherish the rewards of that Victory your blood had won. You have followed in the footsteps of He of Nazareth and have give your lives that others might live. Sleep in Peace, oh ye Faithful, you have not died in vain.








General Orders



The Distinguished Service Cross has been awarded, in the name of the President, by the commander-in-Chief of the American

Expeditionary Force to:


Sergeant M. Waldo Hatler, 2199881, Company "B", 356th Infantry

For extraordinary heroism in Action near Poully, France, 8, November 1918. While a member of a patrol sent to reconnoiter the banks of The Meuse River, when all means of crossing the river had been destroyed, Sergeant Hatler and another soldier [Corp. John Mcafee] volunteered to swim across. The other bank was held in force by the enemy. His companion was seized with a cramp, caused by the cold water, and drowned, but Sergeant Hatler continued on and after securing the information desired, swam back again and made his report.


Home Address: Troy C. Hatler, (father), General Delivery,

Neosho, Missouri.










The Army Commander direct that you convey to the Commanding General, officers and men of the 89TH DIVISION his appreciation of their persistent and successful efforts in clearing the Bois de Bantheville of the enemy.


The foregoing letter was sent to the Commanding General of the 89th, with the following from the Chief of Staff of the 5th Corps:

In transmitting the enclosed letter to you, your officers and men, the Corps Commander desires me to add his commendation to that of the Army Commander and to congratulate you on the morale and spirit of your division as shown by its recent work.


November 2nd, 1918.




In addition to my telephone message, I desire to convey to you and to the officer and soldiers of the 89th Division my profound appreciation and great admiration for the splendid manner in which the division accomplished the mission allotted to it in the advance of the 5th Corps on November 1st.

With a dash, courage and speed worthy of the best traditions of the service, the 89th Division quickly overran the enemy’s strong organization. Following its barrage, and planted itself on all objectives, in accordance with the schedule previously arranged. It has captured many prisoners, guns and spoils of war, showing that the enemy was afforded no opportunity to escape.

The division has more that justified the high confidence of the Commander-in-Chief when he selected it to form the advance in the great operations that have begun.

It is a high honor to command such troops, and I beg that you will convey to your officers and soldiers the assurances of my abiding wishes for their continued success in the campaigns that lie before it.


(Signed) C. P. SUMMERALL

Commanding 5th Corps.




American E. F.


France, Nov. 20, 1918


No. 26

    1. The following citations are announced:


The 89th Division, American E. F., (May. Gen. William M. Wright, Commanding), preceding the attack of November 1st, cleaned up the difficult and strongly held BOIS de BANTHECILLE and attacked on November 1st. It broke through the enemy’s lines, advanced strongly day and night, defeating the enemy and his reserves in its front, and drove him across the Meuse. Under heavy fire and against stubborn resistance, it constructed bridges and established itself on the heights. The cessation of hostilities found this Division holding strong position across the Meuse and ready for a continuation of the advance.


Major General, Commanding.






18. December 1918.


No. 108


The Division has completed its first six months on foreign service. A majority of the officers and men are now entitled to their first service chevron. To them the Division Commander expresses his appreciation of loyal and efficient service, which has been of a high order of excellence.

The Division came into the most momentous six months of the War. And its record has been an enviable one. In the training area, it convinced higher authority of its ability to enter the line as a Division – the first National Army Division to do so. It was the first American Division to move by bus with American Transportation, and the entire movement was organized by the Division.

In the LUCEY Sector, the Division won commendation from the French Corps and Army Commanders, for its successful minor operations, almost constantly gaining identifications from the enemy, without losing a single one to the foe. During the difficult period of preparation for the ST. MIHEL Offensive, the Division successfully held the line while the attack massed behind it and while the enemy made desperate attempts to drive raids thru for information.

In the Offensive of September 12th, the Division went over abreast of the veteran divisions of the American Army, took the BOIS de MORT MARE and all of its other objectives, It then organized the new sector and took over the line held by one and one-half of her division as well.

After the Division relieved the 32nd American Division near Romagne, it cleaned up the BOIS de BANTHEVILLE and won commendations of the Corps and Army.

On the Drive of November 1st, the Division attacked in the front line, tool the wooded heights of BARRCOURT, pushed on it the final Army objective, the MEUSE, and had forced a crossing by 11 hours, 11 November, 1918.

The Division is now in Germany with a reputation of clean living, clean fighting, obeying orders and taking its objectives. The Division Commander is proud to sign this order to the 89th Division.



Major General





France, Dec. 19, 1918.



No. 232


It is with a sense of gratitude for its splendid accomplishment, which will live through all history, that I record in General Orders a tribute to the victory of the First Army in the Meuse-Argonne battle.

Tested and strengthened by the reduction of the St. Mihiel salient, for more than six weeks you battered against the pivot of the enemy line on the western front. It was a position of imposing natural strength, stretching on both side of the Meuse River from the bitterly contested hills of Verdun to the almost impenetrable forest of the Argonne; a position, more ever, fortified by four years of labor designed to render it impregnable; a position held with the fullest resources of the enemy. That position you broke utterly, and thereby hastened the collapse of the enemy’s military power.

Soldiers of all of the division engaged under the First, Third and Fifth American Corps and the Second Colonial and Seventeenth French Corps – the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 26th, 28th, 29th, 52nd, 33rd, 35th, 37th, 42nd, 77th, 78th, 79th, 80th, 81st, 82nd, 89th, 90th and 91st Americans Division – you will be long remembered for the stubborn persistence of your progress, your storming of obstinately defended machine gun nest, your penetration, yard by yard, of woods and ravines, your heroic resistance in the face of counter-attacks supported by powerful artillery fire. For more than a month from the initial attack of September 26th, you fought your way slowly through the Argonne through the woods of an over the hills west of the Meuse; you slowly enlarged your hold on the Rotesde-Meuse to the east, and then, on the 1st of November, your attack forced the enemy into flight. Pressing his retreat, you cleared the entire left bank of the Meuse south of Sedan, and then stormed the heights on the right bank and drove him into the plain beyond.

The achievement of the First Army, which is scarcely to be equaled in American history, must remain a source of proud satisfaction to the troops who participated in the last campaign of the war. Te American people will remember it as the realization of the hitherto potential strength of the American contribution toward the cause to which they had sworn allegiance. There can be no greater reward for a soldier of for a soldier’s memory.



General Commander in Chief,

American Expeditionary Forces




France, Dec. 26, 1918.


No. 238


It is with soldierly pride that I record in General Orders a tribute to the taking of the St. Mihiel Salient by the First Army.

On September 12, 1918, you delivered the first concerted offensive operation of the American Expeditionary Forces upon difficult terrain against this redoubtable position, immovably held four years. Which crumpled before your ably executed advance. Within twenty-four hours of the commencement of the stack, the salient had censed to exist and you were threatening Metz.

Your divisions, which had never been tried in the exacting conditions of major offensive operations, worthily emulated those of more arduous experience and earned their right to participate in the more difficult task to come.

Not only did you straighten a dangerous salient, capture 1600 prisoners, and 443 guns, and liberate 240 square miles of French territory, but you demonstrated the fitness for battle of a unified American Army.

We appreciate the loyal training and effort of the First Army. In the name of our country, I offer our hearty and unmeasured thanks to these splendid American of the 1st, 4th, and 5th, corps and of the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 26th, 42nd, 89th, and 90th and 91st Divisions, which were in reserve.

John J. Pershing

General, Commander in Chief.




April 27, 1919.

Major general Frank L. Winn,

Commanding 89th Division,

American E. F.

My dear General Winn;

It was very pleasing to me to note the fine appearance of your Division at the inspection and review held on April 23rd at the Aviation Field near Treves. The high morale of all ranks was very evident, and was what I had expected to find in a division with such a splendid fighting record as the 89th.

After its arrival in France in early June, for two months it trained near Reynel. It then jo9ined the 1st American Army in the Toul sector, where on September 12th it took part in the St. Mihiel offensive, capturing the strong position of Bois de Mort Mare and by the 13th advancing 18 kilometers. It then consolidated its positions and after relieving the 42nd and 78th Divisions was itself relieved on October 7th. On October 19th it entered the Meuse-Argonne offensive as [art of the 5th Corps, taking the Bois de Bantheville the next day. On November 1st it surged forward with the 1st Army, and from that time until November 11th it was advancing constantly. Breaking through the enemy’s line, it pushed on day and nigh to a depth of 30 kilometers, defeating the enemy and the reserves on its front and driving him across the Meuse. Under heavy fire bridges were constructed and by the signing of the Armistice it was established on the heights east of the river. In the short space of this letter it is impossible to mention the names of the places which will live in the history of the Division on account of the gallant deeds done, Barricourt Woods, Ramonville, Tailly, Nouart, Barricourt, Bois des Dames, Beauclair, Pouilly, the brilliant crossing of the River Meuse, and Autreville are but a few of them.

Please extend my congratulation to the officers and men of your Division on their appearance at inspection as will as their splendid record of serviced in France. They may well return home proud of themselves safe in the assurance of the admiration and respect of their comrades in the American Expeditionary Forces.

Sincerely yours,

(signed) John J. Pershing.





GENERAL ORDERS( 6, May 1919.

No ………………. 44)

  1. The movement home begins today. The Division Commander cannot let the occasion pass without expressing to officers and men his congratulations and gratitude. The Division is to be congratulated upon the accomplishment of its final mission of duty in occupied Germany, in a manner that has won the commendation of military superiors, increased the regard of our associate divisions and gained the respect of the inhabitants. It is with a hear full of gratitude that record is made of the whole souled intelligent and successful response the Division has made to every demand. The best tradition of the American Army for fair dealing in a foreign land, have been maintained.
  2. In training, in civil affairs, in the care of animals and transportation, in entertainments, in schools and in all routine duty, the Division has not only done its part well, bur in many ways its record has been distinguished; in conduct and clean living it has been exemplary; in athletics it has won the football championship of the A.E.F. and excelled in other sports. The spirit and discipline of the Division have been remarkable and for this the intelligence, sound common sense and superior character of the personnel as a whole are in large measure responsible.
  3. The game has been played to the full, and in Germany to the last. This was strikingly exemplified in the splendid appearance of the men, the excellent condition of equipment and transportation, and the efficient teamwork of the entire force on the occasion of the Review by the Commander-in-Chief at Treves Aviation Field, April 23rd 1919. The record during the trying times of the Armistice is one comparable I every respect to that fighting record which, for the time the Division was in the line, is unexcelled in the A.E.F. It is confidently expected that it will the determination of officers and men alike to see that the standards of the Division are preserved so long as a single member remains in the service.
  4. This opportunity is taken to express appreciations of the services of the Staff Officers of the Division. Zealous, loyal and able, they have done their part toward maintaining the fighting efficiencies that stamps the character of the Division.
  5. The commander-in-Chief has sent a letter which all will read with pride and satisfaction and which is published as the final message most highly valued by the officers and men who have made the division worthy of the praise and assured of the friendship of General Pershing.

Frank L. Winn

Major General, U.S.A.,








Captain W. H. Schwinn, Wellington, Kansas.

1st Lt. Edward P. Gallagher.

2nd Lt. Bryan R. Miller, Halstead, Kansas.

2nd Lt. James W. Anderson, McConnellsville, S.C.

2nd Lt. Jessie H. Montee, McGregor, Minn.



1st Sgt. David, Francis M., Darlington, Mo.

Sgt. Burke, John R., Gillman City, Mo.

Sgt. Carmichael, Delma E., Pickering, Mo. R.F.D. No.1.

Sgt. Carson, Robert H., Breene, Colo.

Sgt. Harrison, Gordon D., Arlington Hotel, Wellington, Kans.

Sgt. Hatler, M. Waldo, Neosho, Mo.

Sgt. Hessel, Joseph H., 1004 Cass Ave., St. Louis, Mo.

Sgt. Maire, Elmer E., Bonnots Mill, Mo.

Sgt. Olds, Lawrence Q., Savannah, Mo.

Sgt. Schulte, Roy J., Maryville, Mo., R.F.D. No. 5.

Sgt. Tucker, Fred, Cainsville, Mo.

Sgt. Vogt, Arlis B., Stanberry, Mo.

Sgt. Zerby, Harry L., Supply, Okla – c/o Bk of Supply

Sgt. Zirfas, John J., Clyde, Mo.

Corp. Baublits, Charles R., Parnell, Mo.

Corp. Brittain, Earl M. Guilford, Mo.

Corp. Campbell, Jesse L., Gilman City, Mo.

Corp. Dodson, Heber, Selma, La.

Corp. Fisher, Omer P., Marysville, Mo.

Corp. Foster, George L., Linneus, Mo. Linn County.

Corp. Green, Arthur W., Rosworth, Mo.

Corp. Keisker, Walter J., 3937 North 22nd St., St. Louis, Mo.

Corp. Kingston, John Jr., 4310 Michigan, Kansas City, Mo.

Corp. Leathers, James R., Huntsville, Mo.

Corp. Ludwig, Charles H., 1930 Warren St., St. Louis, Mo.

Corp. Perkins, Arthur, Leesville, La.

Corp. Prochaska, Ludwig C., Prague, Nebr.

Corp. Robinson, Alvin L., Barnard, Mo.

Corp. Rogers, Elmer G. Bethany, Mo.

Corp. Sawyer, Charles H., Cecil Ark., R. 1 Box 92.

Corp. Tessendorf, Edward E., 3138 Lyndale St., Chicago, Ill.

Corp. Tiemann, Henry G., 1306 Sidney St., St Louis, Mo.

Corp. Wasburn, Ernest B., Harris, Mo.

Corp. Wilson, Hugh L., Rutledge, Mo.

Corp. Yarnell, Jay A., Ault, Colo.

Mech. Armstrong, Frank, Higgins, Texas.

Mech. Peck, Renric V., Westbora, Mo.

Cook. Cornell, Charles W., Burlington Junction, Mo.

Cook. Fullerton, Norman A., Tarkio, Mo. R.F.D. No. 3.

Cook. Jenkins, Grover C., Ave F. 4312 Chattanooga, Tenn.

Cook. Jeanes, John S., 11th & Locust St., St. Louis, Mo.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Bane, Jim, West Tulsa, Okla., Gen. Del.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Bass, Green R., Starks, La.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Buehrer, Walter C., Seward, Nebr.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Cole, Earl W., Greenleaf, Kansas.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Cooper, Jess F., Cullman, Ala.

Pvt. 1st Cl. De Backer, Frank J., St. Mary’s, Kansas.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Durnell, John F., Farmington, New Mex.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Gibert, Walter, Kilgore, Ky.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Ginsberg, Abe, Los Angeles, Cal.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Gray, Oscar L., Downing, Mo. R. No. 1.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Hines, Edwin H., 405 Johnson, St., Moberly, No.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Hogan, Dude, Bethany, Mo. Gen. Del.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Hundelt, Henry, 3912 No. 22nd St., St. Louis, Mo.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Jones, Alexander F., Stanberry, Mo.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Kester, Clarence, Urbana, Mo., R. 2.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Lischer, Harry, St. Louis, Mo.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Patterson, Wilson, Wingsburg, Ky. R. 4.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Rhodes, Franklin S., McFall, Mo., Gen. Del.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Rubinkoski, Joseph S., 4 Lake St., Toledo, Ohio.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Sisneros, George, 537 Vanning St., Los Angeles, Cal.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Snethen, Theora, Davis City, Iowa.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Sokoilk, Fred James, 1106 Avon St., La Crosse, Wis.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Tanner, Jesse, Burlington junction, Mo.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Van Matre, Perry P., Bruceville, Ind.

Bugler, Meek, James E., Burlington Junction, Mo.

Bugler, Welch, John L., Boring, Mo.

Pvt. Allen, Leslie, Stanberry, Mo.

Pvt. Arnold, Joseph L., Browning, Mo.

Pvt. Barreras, Adolfe J., Magdalena, New Mex.

Pvt. Beatty, Leslie K., Kelley Island, Ohio.

Pvt. Braughton, William D., 501 Ward Ave., Hot Springs, Ark.

Pvt. Brush, Cleo. W., Liberty, Mo.

Pvt. Carlisle, Wm. L., Quetman, Miss.

Pvt. Carlson, Harry C., 428 Alamo St, Victor, Colo.

Pvt. Cusick, Ernest R, R.4. box 44, Buffalo, Mo.

Pvt. Dalton, Fred, Memphis, Mo.

Pvt. Darnell, Ray, Louisville, Kansas.

Pvt. David, Henry, Tram, Ky.

Pvt. De Roma, Michael, 2249 Morris Ave., New York, N.Y.

Pvt. Deeds, Roy E., 914 E. Pacific St., Springfield, Mo.

Pvt. Di Leo, Gaetane,

Pvt. Dottoli, Rocco, 116 Pennsdale St., Philadelphia, Pa.

Pvt. Dyche, Harry, Linneus, Mo.

Pvt. Dyer, Bert, R. No. 1 Box 200, Webb City, Mo.

Pvt. Dunn, Jessie, Willhurst, Ky.

Pvt. Duvernay, Alvin E., 838 4th St., New Orleans, La.

Pvt. Earl, Lee Davis, Ganado, Texas.

Pvt. Engel, Rochus H., 1628 N. Kimball, Ave., Chicago, Ill.

Pvt. Fields, Zueler C., Mira, La.

Pvt. Fleeman, Henry H., Fairplay, Mo.

Pvt. Findley, Lloyd G., Red Owl, South Dakota.

Pvt. Fleming, Walter E.,

Pvt. Fouts, Ashton, Campti, La.

Pvt. Fulk, James W.

Pvt. Gann, Galey, Conway, Mo.

Pvt. Gilliam, Hames, Smokey Valley, Ky.

Pvt. Goins, Guy, Coxs Creek, Ky.

Pvt. Grace, Jesse, Albany, Mo.

Pvt. Goodman, August, 8331 Jeannette St., New Orleans, La.

Pvt. Gutridge, Donald E., Clinton, Mo.

Pvt. Hanneman, Anton W. H., Red Elm, South Dakota.

Pvt. Hardin, Roy, 518 South Fourth St., Moberly, Mo.

Pvt. Harris, Muncie,

Pvt. Heikamp, Wm. J., Cuba City, Wis.

Pvt. Houston, John, R. No. 2 Box 4, London, Ky.

Pvt. Howard, Ralph W., Red Oak, Mo.

Pvt. Howell, Arthur P., 621 Lewis St., St. Charles, Mo.

Pvt. Hudson, Rote L., Cato, Mo. [Jemkins R 1]

Pvt. Humes, Roy, 114 1st St., Tiffin, Ohio.

Pvt. Jackson, Vernon R., Trammel, Ky.

Pvt. Jaeger, Oley H., Cottleville, Mo.

Pvt. Johnston, Warren R., Urbana, Mo.

Pvt. Johnson, Gustave M., 5736 Dakin St., Chicago, Ill.

Pvt. Kennedy, Lloyd P., 1302 Cedar & West 13th St., Trenton, Mo.

Pvt. Kessler, Phillip P., Augusta, Mo.

Pvt. Kirkman, Hershel, Summerville, Mo.

Pvt. Kottman, Dewin A., 1139 S. Benton Ave., St. Charles, Mo.

Pvt. Koester, Edward H., 515 N. 4th St Charles, Mo.

Pvt. Lamb, William T., Cordwell, Mo.

Pvt. Lazard, Napoleon E., Glen More, La.

Pvt. LeDeaux, Valery L., Carlyss, La.

Pvt. Leger, Fernest, Fenton, La.

Pvt. Lewis, John A., Steamboat Springs, Colo.

Pvt. Lochner, Fedreick M., 1050 Espanola St. Cincinnati, Ohio.

Pvt. Ludenkamper, Albert, 1538 Benton St., St. Louis, Mo.

Pvt. Longdon, Thomas J., Higbee, Mo.

Pvt. McCarty, Charles A., Stanberry, Mo.

Pvt. McConnel, Fred, Carlisle, Ark.

Pvt. McCulley, Clee C., Rushville, Mo.

Pvt. McNabb, George W., Marshfield, Mo.

Pvt. Muller, W. L., Macksville, Kans.

Pvt. Merrifield, Robert W., Milton Junction, Wis.

Pvt. Mook, Dan J., Tilden, Nebr.

Pvt. O’Keefe, Daniel E. 3439 Michigan, Kansas City, Mo.

Pvt. Oram, Sherman D., Gilman City, Mo.

Pvt. Ockander, Ira M., Bancroft, Nebr.

Pvt. Owsley, Thomas E., 4179 Broadway, Hannibal, Mo.

Pvt. Ramsey, Charles E., R. No. 1, Galloway, Mo.

Pvt. Rochmiel, Louis J., 314 Thompson St., Toledo, Ohio.

Pvt. Roller, Leonard, Gravel Switch, Ky.

Pvt. Rucker, Stanley, Eagleville, Mo.

Pvt. Salsgaver, Chas. E., R.F.D. No. 1, Springfield, MO.

Pvt. Sanders, Ernest P. J., R. No. 6, St. Joseph, Mo.

Pvt. Schaaf, Adolph, 913 Buckeye St., Toledo, Ohio.

Pvt. Schwenkhoff, Barney A., 745 R. Main St., Reedsburg, Wis.

Pvt. Scott, William M., Greenwood, La.

Pvt. Shields, Clifton F., Lampert, Mich.

Pvt. Skretny, Anthony, 2318 Lister Ave., Chicago, Ill.

Pvt. Snider, Jullen, Sulphur, La.

Pvt. Smith, Doran, Excelsior Springs, Mo.

Pvt. Struzick, John, Packers Station, Kansas City, Kans.

Pvt. Teowicz, Walter, 5145 Lincoln Ave., Chicago, Ill.

Pvt. Torgersen, Thorval, J., 75 Ballou Ave., Dorchester, Mass.

Pvt. Trujille, Anastacie, Gallup, New Mex.

Pvt. Vincent, Riley, Greenville, Ky.

Pvt. Wamser, Albert S., 3301 S. 18th St., St. Louis, Mo.

Pvt. Warden, Jacob E., Diamond, Mo.

Pvt. Wolfe, Willie E., Eldorado Springs, Mo.

Pvt. Zevas, Steve, 1420 Mississippi Ave., St. Louis, Mo.


[pencil note found in booklet: F. W. Keys, King City, Mo. rank not mentioned]




When our country was plunged into war it was said by our enemies and half feared by our friends that notwithstanding our huge resources and population we would never reach the fight in time. The destiny of the world hung in the balance weighed by the days it would take to train, equip and transport a formidable army overseas. Today it is common knowledge how well that task was done. You, proud Eighty Ninth, were the first cog in that great machine, The National Army. You were the first put to that crucial test which truly proved your mettle. We are glad that we belong to such a Division.


Transcribed 2002 by Jefferson C. Saunders, Seattle, WA.

With minor changes and corrections to names, dates and spelling.

[Bracketed notes] from: History of 89th Division, by George H. English Jr., Great War Society of the 89th Division, 1920.




Major Mark Hanna, commander, 1st Battalion.


Sgt Waldo M. Hatler: Rank and organization: Sergeant, U.S. Army, Company B, 356th Infantry, 89th Division. Place and date: Near Pouilly, France, 8 November 1918. Entered service at: Neosho, Mo. Born: 6 January 1894, Bolivar, Mo. G.O. No.: 74, W.D., 1919. Citation: When volunteers were called for to secure information as to the enemy's position on the opposite bank of the Meuse River, Sgt. Hatler was the first to offer his services for this dangerous mission. Swimming across the river, he succeeded in reaching the German lines, after another soldier, who had started with him, had been seized with cramps and drowned in midstream. Alone he carefully and courageously reconnoitered the enemy's positions, which were held in force, and again successfully swam the river, bringing back information of great value.


Major William J. Bland, 1st Battalion. Former Captain of ‘A’ Company, killed instantly by a piece of shrapnel. Next of Kin: Mrs. William J. Bland, 3659 Harrison Blvd, Kansas City, MO.


Chaplain James Alfred Dickinson. Certificate for distinguished and exceptional gallantry, August 28th 1918.


Captain William Schwinn. Citation and commendation for gallantry, October 22, 1918.


1st Lt. Victor B. Wallin,


History of the 89th Division

Missouri in World War I