Company "D" 356th Infantry was organized at Camp Funston, Kansas, September 5th, 1917. The majority of its members came from Missouri. There were a few who came from the Sates of Kansas, Colorado, Nebraska and South Dakota. The first company commander was Capt. Lloyd P. Page [wounded], who organized the unit. The respective platoon commanders were 1st Lt. Warren Weager, 2nd Lt. Collet, 2nd Lt. Victor B. Wallin [KIA], and 2nd Lt. Amos Hanson. The 1st Sergeant was R.A. McCandless who had been assigned to the company from the regular army.


Company "D’ received eight months of intensive training at Camp Funston. A great transformation took place during this period. The routine of civil life had given way to that of the military. The men became hardened, adopted themselves to their new environment, and learned the rudiments of military life. Athletics were a prominent feature in the company’s activities. Under the direction of Capt. Lloyd P. Page [wounded] and 1st Lt. Edward F. Gallagher a drill team was organized. This team gave several exhibitions in the towns of Kirksville, Milan and La Plata, Missouri. The following men were members …

Sgt. Roy Broyles

Sgt. Royal Payton,

Sgt Robert Wilson

Corp. John McCullough

Pvt. William F. Drummond [later Corporal]

Pvt. Henry E. Benedict

Pvt. James Butler

Pvt. Paley Cole

Pvt. Frank Gabardi

Pvt. Glen C. James

Pvt. Truman Lichty

Pvt. James L. Melton

Pvt. Ralph Montgomery

Pvt. Guy O. Sallade

Pvt. Pearl G. Smith [KIA]

Pvt. Arthur Sterling Pvt. Grover Stukey

Pvt. Ernest P. Yardley


In March, 45 men were transferred to the 3rd Division and in April, 35 went to the 35th Division. This made quite a gap in the company organization. However, in May, replacements arrived and by the 23rd the company was at full strength, fully equipped and "raring to go".


On this date the company left Camp Funston, traveling through Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Michigan, Canada and New York, arriving at Camp Mills on May 27th. A few days were passed here. The "Caronia" was boarded on the 3rd of June and the company sailed the evening of the 4th, arriving at Liverpool 12 days later. Leaving Liverpool, Southampton was the next stop, at which point the company crossed the English Channel the [HMS] "Viper", arriving at Le Havre [France] the morning of the 20th. Trains were boarded here and the company arrived at Liffil-le-Grand, Vosges June 23rd.


This town is located in the Reynel training area, which lies between Chaumont (American General Headquarters) and Neufchateau. With the exception of the artillery the whole division was concentrated in this area. The artillery was located at Camp de Souge, France. A vigorous course of instruction was undertaken in accordance with A.E.F. orders. The fine appearance, soldierly bearing, and excellent work of the men were factors, which aided the division in soon obtaining an enviable reputation in the American Expeditionary Forces.


The 89th division was the first American division to move up to the line by American truck transportion.  It left the Reynel training area the first part of August, moved up behind and relieved the 82nd American division in the Lucey Sector, northwest of Toul.


Company "D" left Liffol-le-Grand on the morning of the 5th of August and stopped that night at Boucq, a town about 10 kilometers from the front line. The following night it moved forward to the reserve position at Gerard Sas where it remained until the 9th, on which date it took up a support position at Washington Barracks. On the night of the 16th the company moved into the front line occupying a sector one half a kilometer wide, in front of Rembucourt.


On the 18th the company sent out its first patrol. Lt Edward F. Gallagher was in command. This detachment started out at 9 P.M. and returned at daybreak. The patrol was fired upon and several men had their clothes pretty well torn up by wire entanglements. However, no casualties resulted. From then on patrolling was more frequent, more aggressive, and naturally more fruitful. The company was relieved on the 24th and returned to Cornieville by way of a narrow gauge railroad. In this town the construction of wire entanglements was the habitual occupation of the members of the company. On the 31st the company moved back into support once again, being located at Newton Cross Roads.


September 5th twenty men under command of Lt. Francis E.A. Hayes, went to Flirey for the purpose of making reconnaissance, west of this town. The men were billeted in the vicinity of Gas Hollow and Dead Man’s Curve. Patrols were sent out nightly and much useful information was obtained, which aided both the company and the battalion during the early stages of the St. Mihiel offensive. This detachment returned on the 9th, the company having moved to Hanonville the day previous.


On the 10th the company was fitted out with "Over the Top" equipment. This consisted of Bengal flares, panels, Very pistols, extra grenades, sand bags, and extra ammunition. The same evening the company moved forward to Hazel Wood where it remained until the 11th. At 11 P.M. the 11th of September the company started forward to a place from which it would be ready to take up its attack formation the next morning. The artillery barrage started at 1 A.M. and continued throughout the night. It rained continually. The men were located in a communication trench in which the mud was knee deep. It was impossible to obtain rest. There was no place to sit down, consequently it was necessary to stand all night. The zero hour was 5 A.M. and everyone was glad when it came. It would now be possible to shake the mud, to move about, and incidentally, to "get a crack at Fritz".


During the first part of August the division served under the 32nd French Army Corp. and the 8th French Army. Later, the division passed under the 4th American Army corps. (Major General Dickman), and the 1st American Army (Lt. General Liggett) for the St. Mihiel offensive.


The 89th Division held the wide sector of 16 kilometers front until the night before the 12th. The mission of the division was not only to prevent the enemy from penetrating the line and gaining information of the offensive preparation but also, on the 12th, to go over the top as a front line division and take the key to the enemy’s position, the Bois de Mort Mare.


Major General William M. Wright assumed command of the division on September 6th 1918.


On the morning of September 12th the 89th Division commenced its first offensive, in company with the 1st, 2nd and 42nd Division.. The three most veteran divisions of the American Expeditionary Forces. The 89th division captured all of its objectives and established a record as a reliable fighting division.


At 5.oo A.M. September 12th the advance started. Company "D" was detailed as "mopper up" for the 3rd Battalion, which was the assault battalion. Trenches, dugouts, and other forms of shelter were explored. The exploration was not in vain for the company managed to capture over 200 prisoners. Pvt. Kibbie V. Wilcutt was the first man in the company to be killed. He was struck by a H. E. shell, one half kilometer east of Essey. The company continues the advance throughout the day. At 6 P.M. a halt was declared and the company dug itself in on the reverse slope of a hill 2˝ kilometers southeast of Pannes. The men had just fallen asleep when an order came to advance and this was done until 5:30 A.M. This brought the company to the edge of Beney Woods. A few hours later the advance was started once again and continued until the northern edge of the woods was reached. It was in this neighborhood that Pvt. Pearl G. Smith was killed. [penciled note by Corp. W. F. Drummond indicates Pvt. Pearl Smith was his "Pal" and died by his side in the trench.]






Pvt. Kibbie Willcutt Pvt. Pearl G. Smith



Corp. Wayne W. Williams

Pvt. Alfred Anderson Pvt. James E Rengstorff

Pvt. Archer L. Bartlett Pvt. Junior E. Snowbarger

Pvt. Lee E. Birdsong Pvt. Possy H. Thompson

Pvt. Haney L. Devine Pvt. Lewis V. Thrower

Pvt. William R. Jenner Pvt. Cordon C. Urich

Pvt. Rudolph A. Krueger Pvt. Sydney E. Willie

Pvt. Elizah F. Massy Pvt. Clell O. Wolf

Pvt. Engenio Maestes Pvt. Nicholas Wolf



The company was relieved September 21st by a company from the 353rd Infantry. It then marched back to a position 2 kilometers southwest of Essey.


The 89th Division dug in, in front of the Hindenburg line near Thiaucourt, took over the 42nd Division area on the left and half that sector of the 78th Division on the right. Division headquarters were at Euvezin and the sector was called the Flirey-Limay sector but later the Pannes-Flirey-Limay sector in order that the location of Division Headquarters be not given to the enemy unnecessarily.


The division maintained an offensive attitude, conducting several minor operation including a raid on Dom, Martin Woods and a raid in the vicinity of Charey as a demonstration on the morning of September 26, the day on which the Argonne offensive began.


Company "D" together with the other companies of the first battalion participated in the raid on Dom Martin Woods. Very little time was given in which to prepare for this action. Leaving the front on the 22nd we returned the 23rd and went over at 4 A.M. the 24th. The only prisoners, which were captured during the engagement, were taken by "D" Company.





Pvt. Clyde A. Martin Pvt. Richard Tucker

Pvt. Rolla Tunks



Pvt. John Bayer Pvt. Oscar C. Summer

Pvt. Harrison Gann Pvt. Charles Svec

Pvt. George Karouzon Pvt. Marian Wing

Pvt. Alfred H. Mueller Pvt. Antone I. Young

Pvt. Otto F. Nelson


The company took up its old position in Benay Woods September 29th. On October 3rd it proceeded to a position 2 kilometers east of Thiaucourt, where it was held in reserve.


The 89th Division was relieved by the 37th Division, which had some over from participation in the Argonne offensive. The relief was slow. The division was then assembled in Commeroy and moved rapidly by bus to the Recicourt area, in rear of the first Army October 9 – 12. In the middle of October, the division was moved up in rear of the 32nd Division in the Epiononville sector and took over the line on the 19th of October. The division proceeded to clean up the Bois de Bantheville and advanced the first line nearly two kilometers. In this position the division found itself in Company again with the 1st, 2nd, and 42nd Divisions, in preparation for the drive that was expected to win the war. This was under the 5th American Army Corp. (Major General Summerall) of the First American Army (Lt. General Liggett).


On October 7th Company "D" hiked from the front to the town of Sensey, a distance of 25 kilometers, arriving there about 2:30 A.M. The next day the company hiked several kilometers and embussed for the Verdun front late in the afternoon, arriving at Dombasle on the morning of the 9th. On the 13th the company left this position and, after two day’s march, went into bivouac between Eclis Fountaine and Epiononville. Lt. Gallagher who had been in command of the company was sent to the hospital and on the 18th Lt. Matthew Winters took command.


On the 19th of October Company "D" relieved a company from the 32nd Division, which was holding a front line position. On the 30th of October at 3 P.M. the company moved west about 2 kilometers to the Bois de Chauvignon. At 9 P.M. the same evening the first battalion in conjunction with a battalion of the 355th Infantry proceeded to clean out the Bois de Bantheville. Without artillery preparation but with that confidence and determination, which have always been with us, the woods were cleaned out during the next three days. Hand to hand fighting was not uncommon, however, having become inured to the condition of modern warfare, and having benefited from past experiences, no resistance was capable of withstanding the forward movement of the troops. The company was relieved on the 23rd and moved back to position in the vicinity of Gesnes.



Pvt. Arnold R. Koenecke


Corp. William L. Keith Pvt. Arthur Kelling

The general situation on the first of November was that the enemy was endeavoring to withdraw from France and Belgium, was using desperate efforts to stop the pressure coming up from the south and applied by the American Army. It was absolutely necessary for him to hold this line in order to guard his railroads and permit his withdrawal in the north. If the Americans were permitted to get to the Meuse in the vicinity of Stenay, it was clear they could cut the important southern railroad lines.

Every effort was made to guarantee the success of this operation. It was realized that if the heights of Barricourt were taken, the enemy could be driven beyond the Muese. Terrific artillery support was provided, the operation carefully explained to all subordinates. It is believed that every man in the division understood the importance of the operation and what his part was to be.

The 89th Division went over the top the morning of November 1st and took all of its objectives on scheduled time. By afternoon the heights of Barricourt were in our possession. It is said that Marshall Foch stated, when he received the news, "the war is over". The fighting continued night and day, first by one Infantry Brigade and them by the other, until the enemy was driven beyond the Meuse.

Twice the Corps Commander provided for the relief of the 89th Division, but the Division Commander asked permission to stay in and complete the work. The final operation affected the crossing of the Meuse at two places, Steney and Pouilly, just before the Armistice came into effect on November 11th.

On the first of November the 177th Brigade took up the assault and were relieved the 3rd of November by the 178th Brigade. "D" Company was in the assaulting battalion. In the afternoon rather stiff resistance was encountered, which was finally broken down, the company reaching Champy Bas, the day’s objective. On the following day the 2nd battalion took the assault, with the 1st in support. On the 5th the 1st battalion resumed the attack and Company "D" assisted in the advance through the Forest de Jaulny. By dusk we had reached the northern edge of the forest and were overlooking the valley of the Meuse.

On the 7th we moved west about 6 kilometers. That same evening Corp John McAfee together with Sgt. Hatler [Medal of Honor] from "B" Company volunteered to swim the Meuse in order to get some information that was vitally important at the time. Corp. McAfee had gotten half way across when he was taken by cramps and drowned, a soldier than whom there was none braver.

The company remained in this position until 8 P.M. November 10th. Under command of Lt. Wallin it started to cross the Meuse with the remaining companies of the first battalion. The river was crossed in boats which had been placed in position by the engineers. Lt. Wallin had not advanced 200 yards on the other side when a shell struck him and he was killed, The company continued its advance and did not halt until 5 o’clock that morning. As usual the men dug themselves in and took the usual precautions. News of the Armistice arrived at 11 o’clock and "D" company knew that it had fought its last fight.


Lt. Victor B. Wallin

Corp. Rudolph H. Larson Pvt. Benjamin F. Czeschin

Corp. John W. McAfee Pvt. Don A. Fasano

Corp. Laurence G. Wells Pvt. Oliver C. Kieffer*

Corp. Roscoe D. Young Pvt. Henry G. Springfield


Corp. Earl V. Hart Pvt. Emil P. Usner

Corp. Boris Stern Pvt. Jesse Brown

Pvt. Elizah Pritchard Pvt. Jose Gonzales

Pvt. Robert C. Powell Pvt. Denis Tafoya

Pvt. Ole Larson Pvt. Petro Gacia

Pvt. Delmar E. Donovan Pvt. Casper L. Nelson

Pvt. Charles F. Watters Pvt. Raymond C. Nelson

Pvt. John Doll Pvt. Rena J. Robinson

Pvt. Sam B. Nettles Pvt. Roye Bose

Pvt. Joseph Rybicki Pvt. Alfred Wideman



Killed Wounded

1 Officer 1 Officer

14 Men 46 Men

[these numbers do not match up with other records]

On the 13th of November the company was relieved and hiked back to Halles, France. On the 24th the company marched to Stenay, France and left the next say on foot for Meix, Belgium, a distance of more than 20 miles. On the 2nd day of December the march was continued, overming stops being made at Musson and Habergy in Belguim, Holsem, Stemheim and Altsinger in Lucumborg. The Saner River was crossed at Rosport on the 6th, thus leaving Luxembourg and entering Germany. Stops were made at Speicher, Grosslitgen, and Bleckhansen, remaining here several days and leaving for Daun on the 13th. From Daun the Company went to Waxweiler on the 14th staying there until the 30th, when it left for Bitburg. On the 21st the company left for Schweich, arriving on the same day.

The company remained in Schweich until May 11th [1919] when it started on the first stage of its homeward journey, entraining at West Trier.


Sector North-west of Toul - Aug. 10th – Sept. 12th, 1918.

St. Mihlel Ofensive - Sept. 12th to 15th, 1918.

Bois de Beney - Sept. 14th, to Oct. 8th 1918.

Raid in Dom Martin Woods - Sept. 23rd, 1918.

Meuse-Argonne Offesnive (in reserve) - Oct. 9th to 19th, 1918.

Clearing of Bois de Bantheville - Oct. 21st - 22nd 1918.

Argonne-Meuse Offensive - Oct 22nd to Nov. 11th 1918.





1st Lieut. Victor B. Wallin [Mrs. Agnes M. Wallen, c/o August Johnson, Washburn, SD]

Corp. Rudolph A. Larsen [Lars Larson, Highmore, SD]

Corp. John W. McAfee [James H. McAfee, Gallentin, Mo]

Corp. Le[aw]rence G. Wells [Inez Conrad, 3509 St. Louis Ave, St. Louis, Mo]

Corp. Boscoe D. Young [Roy O. Young, R.F.D. 1, Forest Green, Mo]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Ben A. [Co E] Czeschin [Mrs. Emma Czeschin, Gen. Del. Darlington, Mo]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Don A. Fasano [Frank Fasano, Gen. Del. Cryartal City, Kas.]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Pearl G. Smith [William F. Smith, Queen City, Mo]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Alfred C. Wideman [Andrew Wideman, Crystal City, Mo]

Pvt. George O. Kieffer* [nor Oliver C. Kieffer, listed w/dead, 89th Div history]

Pvt. Arnold R. Koenecke [Herman Koenecke, North Freedom, Wis.]

Pvt. Clyde R. Martin [Dora Martin, 1507 Irvine St., Springfield, Mo]

Pvt. Henry G. Springfield [not listed with dead 89th Div history]

Pvt. Rollie [Rolla] N. Tunks [Mark Tunks, R.F.D. 2, Maysville, Mo]

Pvt. Richard Tucker [Mrs. Sadie Tucker, 1410 Dillon St. St. Louis, Mo]

Pvt. Kibbie V. Willcutt [Mrs. Catherine Willcut, Poplar Bluff, Mo]

[Corp. Carl H. Steeby, KIA, History o the 89th Div.]

[Pvt. Leonard W. Billotts KIA, History of the 89th Div.]

[Pvt. Arthur Hennessy, KIA, 89th Div., Mrs. Catherine Cronin, 2826 Calumet Ave., Chicago, Ill]



Capt. Lloyd P. Page [gassed, 09/21/1918]

Corp. Nancy L. Devine [slightly wounded, 09/13/1918]

Corp. Earl V. Hart

Corp. William L. Keith [slightly wounded, 10/24/1918]

Corp. Elijah F. Massey [slightly wounded, 09/13/1918]

Corp Otto F. Nelson [slightly wounded, 09/23/1918]

Corp. Wayne W. Williams [slightly wounded, 09/13/1918, (Sgt. Co D, 355th)]

[Corp. William W. Kinney, wound undetermined, 10/05/1918]

[Corp. William F. Ziercher, slightly wounded, 10/28/1918]


Pvt. 1st Cl. Alfred Anderson [slightly wounded, 09/17/1918]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Lee Birdsong [slightly wounded, 09/18/1918]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Delmer E. Donovan

Pvt. 1st Cl. Jose Gonzales

Pvt. 1st Cl. William R. [B] Jenner [slightly wounded, 09/13/1918]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Arthur C. Kelling

Pvt. 1st Cl. Boris Stern

Pvt. 1st Cl. Oscar C. Sumner [severely wounded, 09/24/1918]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Louis Thrower [severely wounded, 09/18/1918]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Charles F. Wal[t]ters [slightly wounded, 11/05/1918]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Marion M. Wing [severely wounded, 09/23/1918]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Clell O. Wolfe [slightly wounded, 09/18/1918 (Sgt.)]

Pvt. 1st Cl. Nicholas H. Wolfe [severely wounded, 09/14/1918]

[Pvt. 1st Cl. Tom D. Eshelman, severely wounded, 10/22/1918]

Pvt. Arthur [Archer] L. Bartlett [slightly / severely wounded, 09/12-13/1918. Also, listed is a Pvt. Lehman A. Bartlett, Co. I, gassed, 10/07/1918]

Pvt. John Bayer [severely wounded, 09/23/1918]

Pvt. Roy E. Bose [severely wounded, 10/28/1918]

Pvt. Jesse Brown

Pvt. John J. Doll [severely wounded, 11/03/1918]

Pvt. Harrison Gann [severely wounded, 09/23/1918]

Pvt. Pedro Garcis [severely wounded, 11/11/1918]

Pvt. George Karouzos [severely wounded, 09/23/1918]

Pvt. Rudolph E.[A.] Kr[e]uger [severely wounded, 09/13/1918]

Pvt. Ole E. Larson [Mech., slightly wounded, 11/07/1918]

Pvt. Euginea Masteas [Eugenio Meastes, severely wounded, 09/13/1918]]

Pvt. Alfred H. E. Mueller [severely wounded, 09/23/1918]

Pvt. Casper L. Nelson

Pvt. Raymond E. Nelson [severely wounded, 11/11/1918]

Pvt. Sam B. Nettles [slightly wounded, 11/07/1918]

Pvt. Robert C. Powell [severely wounded, 11/05/1918]

Pvt. Elijah Pritchard [severely wounded, 11/01/1918]

Pvt. James E. Ri[e]ngestorff [slightly wounded, 09/18/1918]

Pvt. Renna J. Robinson

Pvt. Joseph B. Rybicki [severely wounded, 11/03/1918]

Pvt. Junior E. Snowbarger [severely wounded, 09/18/1918]

Pvt. Charles Svec [severely wounded, 09/23/1918]

Pvt. Dennis Tafrya

Pvt. Possa [Pozey] H. Thompson [severely wounded, 09/13/1918]

Pvt. Emil P. Usner

Pvt. Gordon C. Urich [wound undetermined, 09/18/1918]

Pvt. Sidney E. Willis [slightly wounded, 09/18/1918]

Pvt. Anthony L. Young

[Pvt. Nick Baveles, slightly wounded, 09/13/1918]

[Bugler, Pvt. Ernest C. Lewis, slightly wounded, 09/13/1918]

[Pvt. Jeff Keltner, severely wounded, 11/05/1918]

[Pvt. John Kemblowski, slightly wounded, 09/13/1918]

[Pvt. Tom T. Krellis, slightly wounded, 10/22/1918]

[Pvt. Juan E. Madrid, slightly wounded, 10/25/1918]

[Pvt. Terry W. McGhee, severely wounded, 09/18/1918]

[Pvt. Harold G. Nyberg, severely wounded, 11/04/1918]

[Pvt. Griffie Pitts, severely wounded, 10/22/1918]

[Pvt. Adolph B. Rodrigo, severely wounded, 09/13/1918]

[Pvt. Henry J. Rupp, severely wounded, 09/23/1918]




Capt. Williams P. Montgomery, 1116 Tyler St., Topeka, Kans.

1st Lt. Harold W. Kenaston, 130 Lafayette Ave., Passaio ???.

1st Lt. Cecil H. Page, 56 Wildwood Ave., Buffalo, NY.

2nd Lt. Francis A. E. Hayes, 432 5th St., South Boston, Mass.

2nd Lt. Percival C. Hope, Bay Side Long Island, NY.

2nd Lt. William Mylon, Altis, Okla.

2nd Lt. Roy M. Young, 2910 N. 63rd St. Omaha, Nebr.

1st Sgt Harry E. Streiff, Gen, Del., Modena, Mo.

Mess Sgt. Willian Stark, Gen. Del., Mystic, Iowa.

Supply Sgt. Robert M. Wilson, Milan, Missouri.

Sgt. John P. Behrand, 409 W. Graham St., Madison, Wisc.

Sgt. Henry E. Benedict, Culloden, West Virginia.

Sgt. James Butler, Queen City, Missouri.

Sgt. Charles F. Branam, Princeton, Mo.

Sgt. John W. Hague, R.F. D. No.4, Harris, Missouri.

Sgt. Wayne E. Hart, Gen. Del., Milan, Missouri.

Sgt. Ralph Montgomery, Gen. Del., Milan, Mo.

Sgt. George C. Reed, Breckenridge, Missouri.

Sgt. Stewart S. Sullivan, 1423 Hebert St., St. Louis, Mo.

Sgt. Seth G. Turner, 225 Main St., Trenton, Mo.

Sgt. Clell C. Wolf, R.F. D. No. 1.

Sgt. Earnest P. Yardley, Gen. Del., Milan, Mo.

Corp. Clancy, William C., R.F. D. No. 5, Lexington, Ky.

Corp. Daniels, Myrtie G., Gen. Del. Harris, Mo.

Corp. Drummond, William F., R.F.D. No.1, Stahl, Mo.

Corp. Erickson, Carl, R.F.D. No. 3, Centerville, S.Dak.

Corp. Fischer, Arthur C., R. I. Box 6, Seward, Kans.

Corp. Fletcher, Harris, Pence Route, Scott City, Kans.

Corp. Frank, William J., R.F.D. No. 1, Wolsey, S.Dak.

Corp. Gerher, Charles A., R. F. D. No. 5, Platte, S. Dak.

Corp. Groves, Elbie E., Gen. Del., Mineola, Kans.

Corp. Hamilton, Oscar E. C., R.F.D. No. 5, Harka, Kans.

Corp. Harlan, Wayne E., Gen. Del. Edison, Nebr.

Corp. Hart, Earl V., R.F.D. No. 2, Princeton, Mo.

Corp. Johnson, Carl L., R.F. D. No. 2, Lake Preston, S. Dak.

Corp. Keith, William L., Browning, Mo.

Corp. Massy, Elijah F, Caddea, Colo. [Died April 5th 1976, CO.]

Corp. Melton, James L., Browning, Mo.

Corp. Morris, Ralph W., R.F.D. No. 1, Cora, Mo.

Corp. Patterson, David F., R.F.D. No. 1, Red Top, Mo.

Corp. Paulsen, Luther, 2622 Willington Ave., Chicago, Ill.

Corp. Perkins, Everett V., 714 Weece St., Columbia, Mo.

Corp. Rodden, John R., Albuquerque, N. Mexico.

Corp. Rogers, George A., Elerado, Ark.

Corp. Sallade, Guy O., Gen. Del., Stahl. Mo.

Corp. Salmon, Francis H. L., 254 E. 184th St., New York City, N.Y.

Corp. Sterling, Robert A., Gen. Del., Green City, Mo.

Corp. Street, Charles H., 321 W Minneapolis Ave., Vincennes, ??.

Corp. Thompson, David J., 2906 Edgewood Ave., Chicago, Ill.

Corp. Thompson, Charles R., 316 Russel Ave., Festus, Mo.

Corp. Thompson, Willie L., 312 Farrier St., Moberly, Mo.

Corp. Tiemeyer, Aloysius, St. Liberty, Ill.

Corp. Tolton, George C., Desota, Mo.

Corp. Turner, Myron C., 1900 Ramsey Ave., Springfield, Mo.

Corp. Turner, Perry L., Princeton, Mo

Corp. Walsh, Thomas P., 4427 N. 21st St., St. Louis, Mo.

Corp. Weeks, Oliver C., 2912 Belleview Ave., Kansas City, Mo.

Corp. Wiedemeire, George H., 1145 A. Wright St., St. Louis.

Corp. Wills, Lloyd, Shellknob, Mo. [discharged o6-11-1919]

Corp. Wyrick, Lucian L., Pattersburg, Mo.

Cook. Lunsden, Clarence F., Gen. Del., Cora, Mo.

Cook. Paskell, Edward C., 3213 Olive St. St. Louis, Mo.

Cook. Spink, John P., 2425 Coleman St., St. Louis, Mo.

Cook. Wright, Jesse F., Unionville, Mo.

Mec. Childers, Daniel W., Gans, Okla.

Mec. Kellert, Albert M., 1217˝ S. Agnew St., St. Louis, Mo.

Mec. Mathews, Earl, Box 204, Perry, Mo.

Mec. Williams, Miles C., R.F.D. No. 1, Humphreys, Mo.

Mec. Toy, Don S., 23rd St. & 9th Ave., Tucson, Ariz.

Bugler. Acosta, Emilio, 248 W. 22nd St., New York City, N.Y.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Burton, Elmer O., Edwards, Mo.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Crosby, Roy L., Anderson, Mo.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Davee, Douglas, Red Field, Kans.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Dungan, Arnice J., Mindermines, Mo.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Ebert, John, 512 Elm, St., Watertown, Mo.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Edmonds, Aaron B., Gen. Del., Loveland, Colo.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Fogaini, Santo, Gerard, Kans.

Pvt. 1st Cl. Franzen, Simon F., R.F.D. No. 2, Lanford, S.Dak.

Pvt. 1st Cl.Higgins, Roy A., R.F.D. No. 6, Baraboo, Wis.

Pvt. Harlin, Ezekiel, Box 214, Stewart, Okla.

Pvt. Hoefelman, Charles F., 229 BulconAve., Luxemburg, Mo.

Pvt. Hollifield, Robert W., Emmalene, Ky.

Pvt. Johnson, Albert, Gen. Del., Deerfield, Wis.

Pvt. Kaplain, Haiman, 707 14th St., Corsicana, Texas.

Pvt. Kindred, Henry D., Lancaster, Ky.

Pvt. King, Harlan , Bluford, Ill.

Pvt. Kleftogianis, George, 522 S. 13th St., Omaha, Nebr.

Pvt. Lauland, Albert E., 444 Pacific Ave., Algeries, La.

Pvt. Lomax, Benjamin E., R.F.D. No. 8, Mt. Vernon, Ill.

Pvt. Lucas, Roy R., R.F.D. No. 5, Claremore, Okla.

Pvt. Luebbert, Edwards, 1940 Hebert St., St. Louis, Mo.

Pvt. Masteas, Cornelio, Gen.Del., Tierra Amarilla, N. Mexico.

Pvt. Martini, Michelo, 2627 P Ave., Galveston, Texas.

Pvt. Mattingly, Joseph B., Baywick, Ky.

Pvt. Middleton, George A., Bryantsville, Ky.

Pvt. Molero, Anthony, 5418 Daupnine St., New Orleans, La.

Pvt. Morris, Charlie, Lancaster, Ky.

Pvt. McDaniels, Drew T., Smokey Valley, Ky.

Pvt. Neely, William L., Somerset, Ky.

Pvt. Nelson, Casper L., Gen. Del., Deerfield, Wis.

Pvt. Ortiz, Adolf, Box 61, Santa Fe, N. Mexico

Pvt. Padilli, Eszekiel, Springfield, Mo.

Pvt. Pawlowaki, Joseph W., 3907 School St., Chicago, Ill.

Pvt. Petke, Emil, 2731 St. George St., Chicago, Ill.

Pvt. Pollet, George A., R.F.D. No. 2 Sta. B, New Orleans, La.

Pvt. Pradzinski, Leo P., Springfield, Mo.

Pvt. Quackenbush, Jacob F., R.F.D. No. 9, Emporin, Kans.

Pvt. Riede, George E., Gen. Del., LaGrange, Mo.

Pvt. Romzo, Henry, 3506 School St., Chicago, Ill.

Pvt. Rudy, Harry L., 1142 S. Capitol Ave., Indianapolis, Ind.

Pvt. Rybicki, Joseph B., 2856 Rigeway, Chicago, Ill.

Pvt. Sandoval, Isabel, Sapille, N. Mexico.

Pvt. Sandoval, Rogelio, Truchas, N. Mexico.

Pvt. Savee, Norman, Gen. Del., Morrisville, Wis.

Pvt. Sienicki, Boleslaw, 2109 S. Ashland Ave., Chicago, Ill.

Pvt. Sisneros, Ronaldo, Ortiz, Colo.

Pvt. Sullivan, John H., 504 S. Masision St., Webb City, Mo.

Pvt. Sytton, Robert T., Centerville, Mo.

Pvt. Swann, William C., 1523 N. 18th St., St. Louis, Mo.

Pvt. Trujillo, Victor, Wagonmound, N.Mexico.

Pvt. Valde, Ole, 1909 15th Ave., Minneapolis, Minn.

Pvt. Vontura, Joe, Box 4, 300 N. 4th St., Clarksburg, W. Va.

Pvt. Vossmeyer, Hary, 2823 N. 12th St., St. Louis, Mo.

Pvt. Weber, Martin F., R.F.D. No. 6, Webster Groves, Mo.

Pvt. Werner, Rudolph H., 424 Jackson St., LaCross, Wis.

Pvt. Wiess, Philip, St. Francis, Mo.

Pvt. Wigsmoen, Joseph C., Organ, Wis.

Pvt. Wilkerson, William, Gen. Del., Advance, Mo.

Pvt. Wilkofski, Max, 1916 Wash St., St. Louis, Mo.








October 26th, 1918.






The Army Commander direct that you convey to the Commanding General, officers and men of the 89TH DIVISION his appreciation of their persistent and successful efforts in clearing the Bois de Bantheville of the enemy.


The foregoing letter was sent to the Commanding General of the 89th, with the following from the Chief of Staff of the 5th Corps:

In transmitting the enclosed letter to you, your officers and men, the Corps Commander desires me to add his commendation to that of the Army Commander and to congratulate you on the morale and spirit of your division as shown by its recent work.


November 2nd, 1918.




In addition to my telephone message, I desire to convey to you and to the officer and soldiers of the 89th Division my profound appreciation and great admiration for the splendid manner in which the division accomplished the mission allotted to it in the advance of the 5th Corps on November 1st.

With a dash, courage and speed worthy of the best traditions of the service, the 89th Division quickly overran the enemy’s strong organization. Following its barrage, and planted itself on all objectives, in accordance with the schedule previously arranged. It has captured many prisoners, guns and spoils of war, showing that the enemy was afforded no opportunity to escape.

The division has more that justified the high confidence of the Commander-in-Chief when he selected it to form the advance in the great operations that have begun.

It is a high honor to command such troops, and I beg that you will convey to your officers and soldiers the assurances of my abiding wishes for their continued success in the campaigns that lie before it.


(Signed) C. P. SUMMERALL

Commanding 5th Corps.




American E. F.


France, Nov. 20, 1918


No. 26

    1. The following citations are announced:


The 89th Division, American E. F., (May. Gen. William M. Wright, Commanding), preceding the attack of November 1st, cleaned up the difficult and strongly held BOIS de BANTHECILLE and attacked on November 1st. It broke through the enemy’s lines, advanced strongly day and night, defeating the enemy and his reserves in its front, and drove him across the Meuse. Under heavy fire and against stubborn resistance, it constructed bridges and established itself on the heights. The cessation of hostilities found this Division holding strong position across the Meuse and ready for a continuation of the advance.


Major General, Commanding.








18. December 1918.


No. 108


The Division has completed its first six months on foreign service. A majority of the officers and men are now entitled to their first service chevron. To them the Division Commander expresses his appreciation of loyal and efficient service, which has been of a high order of excellence.

The Division came into the most momentous six months of the War. And its record has been an enviable one. In the training area, it convinced higher authority of its ability to enter the line as a Division – the first National Army Division to do so. It was the first American Division to move by bus with American Transportation, and the entire movement was organized by the Division.

In the LUCEY Sector, the Division won commendation from the French Corps and Army Commanders, for its successful minor operations, almost constantly gaining identifications from the enemy, without losing a single one to the foe. During the difficult period of preparation for the ST. MIHEL Offensive, the Division successfully held the line while the attack massed behind it and while the enemy made desperate attempts to drive raids thru for information.

In the Offensive of September 12th, the Division went over abreast of the veteran divisions of the American Army, took the BOIS de MORT MARE and all of its other objectives, It then organized the new sector and took over the line held by one and one-half of her division as well.

After the Division relieved the 32nd American Division near Romagne, it cleaned up the BOIS de BANTHEVILLE and won commendations of the Corps and Army.

On the Drive of November 1st, the Division attacked in the front line, tool the wooded heights of BARRCOURT, pushed on it the final Army objective, the MEUSE, and had forced a crossing by 11 hours, 11 November, 1918.

The Division is now in Germany with a reputation of clean living, clean fighting, obeying orders and taking its objectives. The Division Commander is proud to sign this order to the 89th Division.



Major General






France, Dec. 19, 1918.



No. 232


It is with a sense of gratitude for its splendid accomplishment, which will live through all history, that I record in General Orders a tribute to the victory of the First Army in the Meuse-Argonne battle.

Tested and strengthened by the reduction of the St. Mihiel salient, for more than six weeks you battered against the pivot of the enemy line on the western front. It was a position of imposing natural strength, stretching on both side of the Meuse River from the bitterly contested hills of Verdun to the almost impenetrable forest of the Argonne; a position, more ever, fortified by four years of labor designed to render it impregnable; a position held with the fullest resources of the enemy. That position you broke utterly, and thereby hastened the collapse of the enemy’s military power.

Soldiers of all of the division engaged under the First, Third and Fifth American Corps and the Second Colonial and Seventeenth French Corps – the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 26th, 28th, 29th, 52nd, 33rd, 35th, 37th, 42nd, 77th, 78th, 79th, 80th, 81st, 82nd, 89th, 90th and 91st Americans Division – you will be long remembered for the stubborn persistence of your progress, your storming of obstinately defended machine gun nest, your penetration, yard by yard, of woods and ravines, your heroic resistance in the face of counter-attacks supported by powerful artillery fire. For more than a month from the initial attack of September 26th, you fought your way slowly through the Argonne through the woods of an over the hills west of the Meuse; you slowly enlarged your hold on the Rotesde-Meuse to the east, and then, on the 1st of November, your attack forced the enemy into flight. Pressing his retreat, you cleared the entire left bank of the Meuse south of Sedan, and then stormed the heights on the right bank and drove him into the plain beyond.

The achievement of the First Army, which is scarcely to be equaled in American history, must remain a source of proud satisfaction to the troops who participated in the last campaign of the war. Te American people will remember it as the realization of the hitherto potential strength of the American contribution toward the cause to which they had sworn allegiance. There can be no greater reward for a soldier of for a soldier’s memory.



General Commander in Chief,

American Expeditionary Forces




France, Dec. 26, 1918.


No. 238


It is with soldierly pride that I record in General Orders a tribute to the taking of the St. Mihiel Salient by the First Army.

On September 12, 1918, you delivered the first concerted offensive operation of the American Expeditionary Forces upon difficult terrain against this redoubtable position, immovably held four years. Which crumpled before your ably executed advance. Within twenty-four hours of the commencement of the stack, the salient had censed to exist and you were threatening Metz.

Your divisions, which had never been tried in the exacting conditions of major offensive operations, worthily emulated those of more arduous experience and earned their right to participate in the more difficult task to come.

Not only did you straighten a dangerous salient, capture 1600 prisoners, and 443 guns, and liberate 240 square miles of French territory, but you demonstrated the fitness for battle of a unified American Army.

We appreciate the loyal training and effort of the First Army. In the name of our country, I offer our hearty and unmeasured thanks to these splendid American of the 1st, 4th, and 5th, corps and of the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 5th, 26th, 42nd, 89th, and 90th and 91st Divisions, which were in reserve.

John J. Pershing

General, Commander in Chief.





April 27, 1919.

Major general Frank L. Winn,

Commanding 89th Division,

American E. F.

My dear General Winn;

It was very pleasing to me to note the fine appearance of your Division at the inspection and review held on April 23rd at the Aviation Field near Treves. The high morale of all ranks was very evident, and was what I had expected to find in a division with such a splendid fighting record as the 89th.

After its arrival in France in early June, for two months it trained near Reynel. It then jo9ined the 1st American Army in the Toul sector, where on September 12th it took part in the St. Mihiel offensive, capturing the strong position of Bois de Mort Mare and by the 13th advancing 18 kilometers. It then consolidated its positions and after relieving the 42nd and 78th Divisions was itself relieved on October 7th. On October 19th it entered the Meuse-Argonne offensive as [art of the 5th Corps, taking the Bois de Bantherville the next day. On November 1st it surged forward with the 1st Army, and from that time until November 11th it was advancing constantly. Breaking through the enemy’s line, it pushed on day and nigh to a depth of 30 kilometers, defeating the enemy and the reserves on its front and driving him across the Meuse. Under heavy fire bridges were constructed and by the signing of the Armistice it was established on the heights east of the river. In the short space of this letter it is impossible to mention the names of the places which will live in the history of the Division on account of the gallant deeds done, Barricourt Woods, Ramonville, Tailly, Nouart, Barricourt, Bois des Dames, Beauclair, Pouilly, the brilliant crossing of the River Meuse, and Autreville are but a few of them.

Please extend my congratulation to the officers and men of your Division on their appearance at inspection as will as their splendid record of serviced in France. They may well return home proud of themselves safe in the assurance of the admiration and respect of their comrades in the American Expeditionary Forces.

Sincerely yours,

(signed) John J. Pershing.






GENERAL ORDERS( 6, May 1919.

No ………………. 44)

  1. The movement home begins today. The Division Commander cannot let the occasion pass without expressing to officers and men his congratulations and gratitude. The Division is to be congratulated upon the accomplishment of its final mission of duty in occupied Germany, in a manner that has won the commendation of military superiors, increased the regard of our associate divisions and gained the respect of the inhabitants. It is with a hear full of gratitude that record is made of the whole souled intelligent and successful response the Division has made to every demand. The best tradition of the American Army for fair dealing in a foreign land, have been maintained.
  2. In training, in civil affairs, in the care of animals and transportation, in entertainments, in schools and in all routine duty, the Division has not only done its part well, bur in many ways its record has been distinguished; in conduct and clean living it has been exemplary; in athletics it has won the football championship of the A.E.F. and excelled in other sports. The spirit and discipline of the Division have been remarkable and for this the intelligence, sound common sense and superior character of the personnel as a whole are in large measure responsible.
  3. The game has been played to the full, and in Germany to the last. This was strikingly exemplified in the splendid appearance of the men, the excellent condition of equipment and transportation, and the efficient teamwork of the entire force on the occasion of the Review by the Commander-in-Chief at Treves Aviation Field, April 23rd 1919. The record during the trying times of the Armistice is one comparable I every respect to that fighting record which, for the time the Division was in the line, is unexcelled in the A.E.F. It is confidently expected that it will the determination of officers and men alike to see that the standards of the Division are preserved so long as a single member remains in the service.
  4. This opportunity is taken to express appreciations of the services of the Staff Officers of the Division. Zealous, loyal and able, they have done their part toward maintaining the fighting efficiencies that stamps the character of the Division.
  5. The commander-in-Chief has sent a letter which all will read with pride and satisfaction and which is published as the final message most highly valued by the officers and men who have made the division worthy of the praise and assured of the friendship of General Pershing.

Frank L. Winn

Major General, U.S.A.,


Transcribed 2002 by Jefferson C. Saunders, from an original copy owned by

Corporal William F. Drummond, Company D, 356th Infantry. Stahl, Mo.

Includes minor changes in format, punctuation, names, dates and spelling.

I’m sure some errors and incorrect information still remain.

[Bracketed notes] from: History of 89th Division, by George H. English Jr., Great War Society of the 89th Division, 1920, or other sources.

Bonus from History of Company B, 356th.

Following is an exact replica of one such sheet dropped among the boys of company "B".




"Do your part to put an end to the war! Put an end to your part of it. Stop fighting! That’s the simplest way. You can so it, you soldiers, just stop fighting and the war will end of its own accord. You are not fighting for anything anyway. What does it matter to you who owns Metz or Strassburg, you never saw those towns nor knew the people in them, so what do you care about them? But there is a little town back home in little old United States you would like to see and if you keep on fighting here in the hope of getting a look at those old German fortresses you may never see home again.

The only way to stop the war is to stop fighting. That’s easy. Just quite it and slip across ‘No Man’s Lands’ and join the bunch that’s taking it easy there waiting to be exchanged and taken home. There is no disgrace in that. That bunch of American prisoners will be welcomed just as warmly as you who stick it out in these infernal trenches. Get wise and get over the top.

There is nothing in the glory of keeping up the war. But think of the increasing taxes you will have to pay the longer the war last the larger those taxes at home will be. Get wise and get over.

All the fine words about glory and tommy rot. You haven’t got any business fighting in France. You would better be fighting the money trust at home instead of fighting your fellow soldiers in gray over here where it doesn’t rally matter tow sticks to you how the war goes.

Your country needs you; your family needs you and you need your life for something better than being gases, shot at, deafened by cannon shots and rendered unfit physically by the miserable life you must live here.

The tales they tell you of the cruelties of German prison camps are fairy tales. Of course you may not like being a prisoner of war. But anything is better than this infernal place with no hope of escape except by being wounded after which you will only be sent back for another hole in your body.

Wake up and stop the war! You can if you want to. Your government does not mean to stop the war for years to come and the years are going to be long and dreary. You better come over while the going is good."

History of the 89th Division

Missouri in World War I