Technicians make last minute checks of wiring on the Mercury Space Capsule--"Project Orbit" on 31 Feb 1963 in a huge vacuum chamber "white room" located at Building 103, McDonnell Douglas Corporation, Lambert Field, St. Louis, Mo. Top center technicians---beneath the light fixture is James H. Williams, (father of Scott K. Williams) and Jack York (technician on top right) were both "Capsule Occupant" technicians due to their size--approximately same as the Mercury Astronauts. This was the last Mercury mission, known as Mercury MA-9, capsule nicknamed, "Faith 7" and flown by Astronaut L. Gordon Cooper, Jr. Mercury MA-9 paved the way for future missions "by successfully completing a 22-orbit flight which logged a total of nearly 600,000 miles." Flight Date: 15 May 1963, Landing Date: 16 May 1963. Flight Time: 1.43 days. Photo from the collection of James H. Williams, Ferguson, Mo. [Enlarged Photo] See also "From Chicken Farm to Aerospace Engineer".
Monument commemorating the landing of Pierre Laclede in the year 1764, located
at the riverfront
below the Gateway Arch. [Larger Image] Photo courtesy of Jerry Tichacek.
Missouri Air National Guard F-15's at Lambert Field, Thanks to Bevin Shively, with American Airlines who photographed these on 19 March 2003.
"Thornhill", the estate and gravesite of Governor Frederick Bates (1777-1825), located on Olive Blvd., Faust County Park, Chesterfield, Mo. While serving as Secretary of Louisiana Territory, Bates fulfilled many of the functions of Territorial Governor during the 1807-1808 absence of Gov. Meriwether Lewis. In 1824 Bates was elected to become the second Governor of the State of Missouri.
A couple of St. Louis County's oldest residents. Left: Oak tree at Spanish Lake County Park, approximately 300 years old. Right: Oak tree along McDonnell Blvd. in Hazelwood dating back 200 or more years. These trees were alive when American Indian tribes lived in the area. Trees of comparable age can also be found in south St. Louis County at Bee Tree County Park.
The old home of James Waters Darst and wife, Julia Perkins, built 1899. Located at 13 N. Elizabeth, Ferguson, Mo. (northern St. Louis County). Their son, James E. Darst, who grew up here, was an editor of the St. Louis Globe-Democrat and served in the 89th Division during World War I. After the war in 1919, James E. wrote a series of articles on how he and his comrades lived, suffered, laughed and fought in France. (follow link to read Darst's amazing stories).
The oldest portion of the Charles Rannell house [located at 22 Bredall in the City of Maplewood (south-east corner of Bredell and Folk)] was built in the 1850's with the help of slaves. Today the property is in legal limbo and may be in danger of being razed. Dense foliage around the home hides much of the building from passing motorists. Photos taken by Gloria Dettleff of Florissant, Mo.
Home of J.R. Eike, photographer, at 3436 Montana St , St. Louis as it appeared 1914-1917. [Enlarged] Right: Same building today. Photo by Thomas Kempland of Concord Village. See also Kempland Collection of J. R. Eike Photos.
Eike's Bicycle Shop located at 3137 Meramec, St. Louis. As photographed by J.R. Eike, circa 1914-1917. [Enlarged] Right: Same building as it appears today. Photo by Thomas Kempland of Concord Village. [Enlarged] See also Kempland Collection of J. R. Eike Photos.
The old "Rock Building" at the old St. Stanislaus Seminary was built in 1840 on the same location as the former log constructed St. Regis Seminary, the first Catholic Indian School in the U.S., established circa 1823. Now occupied by the Museum of Western Jesuit Missions, the museum is fighting to survive due to pressure from St. Louis University seeking to confiscate the collection, and forcing the abandonment of the Rock building. (This would include disinterring the remains of pioneer missionaries such as Fr. Pierre Jean De Smet and Fr. Van Quickborne.) Thankfully, the museum board of directors is challenging these plans.
The St. Louis Mounted Police Station in Forest Park. Built in 1919, this building once served as a hanger for the City's first commercial airport. Its adjoining 100 acre landing field (known as "Aviation Field") served private aeroplanes as well as aircraft of the U.S. Aerial Mail Service. Forest Park has been the site for Aeronautical activity since 1907, and that tradition continues today with the yearly balloon races. For more on St. Louis' famous aircraft history, see James J. Horgan's book, "City of Flight: The History of Aviation in St. Louis"; Patrice Press, St. Louis, Mo;1990. For historical images of early aeronautical balloons in St. Louis, see the following images: [Balloon at Highland's Amusement Park] and other unidentified St. Louis locations: [Image 1] [Image 2] [Image 3] . From glass plate photography by J. R. Eike dating from 1914-1917. Eike's work is presented on this website as part of the Thomas Kempland Collection.
Looking North from Arsenal and Broadway in south St. Louis. Building at right, old shipping office of Anheuser Busch. Same approximate scene, circa 1914-1917: [Left] [Right] (Kempland Collection)
Old Coldwater School, built 1859, 15875 New Halls Ferry Road, Florissant Mo.