Articles of interest from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch – December 19 – 28, 1881

Transcribers notes: Any comment of mine will be noted in { } parenthesis, missing letters by ---. Typed as close as possible to the actual paper. Karen King -


December 19, 1881 page 6

Mrs. Jas. McCarron, of 417 South Jefferson, went down to Moll’s grocery store on Franklin avenue, near Sixth, this morning and ordered her supplies for Christmas week. She carried her pocket-book, an ordinary black leather one with a steel chain attached to it, in her outside cloak pocket. The pocket-book contained $15 and some small change in money and a lot of decalcomania pictures. After she left the store she discovered the pocket-book and contents were missing. If you find it, please return it to the lady.


IS YOUR NAME NEAL? Do you live with Mr. Corby and "Jim," who peddles rocks? Is your next door neighbor named Henry, who sells candy? If the above inquiries strike in, please call at the Mounted District Station and claim your boy, Johnny Neal.



RIVER 17 feet and falling. Business fair for the time of the year.

CAPT. HENRY LEYHE’S gay Spread Eagle dashes off for Cairo at 3 p.m.

THE price paid for the Bright Light was $18,500. A cheap boat but a good one.

THE DORA goes to St. Charles at 4 p.m. tomorrow. Lamont master, Murphy clerk.

THE Belle Memphis will leave for Vicksburg tomorrow. Isaac H. McKee, master.

THE St. Louis and M.V.T. Co. will send out the Henry Loury and barges to-morrow.

METHUDY & MEYER are receiving heavy consignments of lumber by the Anchor Line boats.

THE famous Buckeye State, Capt. James Kircker, R.H. Kerr clerk, leaves for Pittsburgh to-morrow.

THE good steamer Minneapolis, of the Davidson Line, departs for Keokuk at 4 p.m. to-day. Dave Asbury master.

THE Robin, burned above Cairo last Saturday, was owned by Peter Conrad, and was valued at $6,000. No Insurance.

THE Jack Frost arrived from the Cumberland with 2,000 tons of pig metal in barges, and the Florence come in from the Tower with a tow.

PROF. MORSE will take the wharfboat recently purchased by the Vicksburg Anchor Line from the Pennsylvania Packet Company on the docks to-day for repairs.

THE CITY of Alton begins loading for New Orleans to-day to leave Wednesday. She has elegant passenger accommodations, and gives excursion rates. See card elsewhere.

AT a meeting of the stockholders of the Mound City Transportation Company, held a few days since, the following officers ere chosen to serve during the ensuing year: Henry V. Lucas, president; C.L. Kretschmar, secretary and treasurer; John Greenough, superintendent.

AN article appeared in the POST-DISPATCH of Saturday under the caption "City of Vicksburg." It should have been "City of New Orleans." We have been so accustomed to connect Capt. Bob Riley and his beautiful Anchor Line palace with everything that is foney in the shape of Mississippi steamboating that we inadvertently did an injustice to Capt. A.J. Carter and Superintendent Jas. O’Neal of the New Orleans Company. However, as Mr. Scudder owns both of the boats there is no particular harm done.

CAPT. WM. H. BLAKE is dead. This announcement will cause no surprise among his friends, who have anticipated the event for some days, but the feeling of sorrow will be some the less keenly felt. The veteran boatman had been suffering for nearly a year from paralysis, and toward the last the pain became so intense that relief in any form, though administered as the last and eternal sleep, must prove a blessing. For more than a quarter of a century Capt. Blake has been a conspicuous figure on the Mississippi, having commanded and owned a number of steamers. He was one of the most truthful and upright men and enjoyed a popularity among his business associates and the traveling public generally that is rarely attained and it will be a long time before his it forgotten. He had boated on nearly every river in the West and South, and for the past fifteen years was connected with the Vicksburg Anchor Line as owner and commander. His last boat was the John B. Maude, which is still running. Capt. Blake began his career as a driver on a Pennsylvania canal, and gradually worked his way up from that humble start to the possession of a company. He leaves a wife and one son to mourn his loss. The funeral will take place at 3 p.m. to-morrow.

{no burial place.}



December 20, 1881 page 4

It has been suggested that Capt. EADS should secure the control of the KEELY motor. It is claimed that this powerful machine could consume a jug of cold water and then climb a mountain with a big loaded ship on its back.


December 21, 1881 page 4



Gerald Fitzgibbons stabbed by a Discharged Employee.


Thomas Raycraft the Slasher – The Origin of the Trouble


Shortly after 10 o’clock this morning another cutting affray occurred in the Third Police District which may possibly result in the death of Mr. Gerald Fitzgibbons, agent for the St. Louis Transfer Company. The facts in the case are about these: A short time ago Thomas Raycraft, formerly employed by the Transfer Company, sued the company before Justice Smyth for $58 and some odd cents which he alleged was due him as back pay, and the company claimed an offset against him of $18 due them on a caddy of tea which he had lost while in their employ.

This morning at 10 o’clock the case was called up before Justice Smyth, Tenth and O’Fallon streets, for a hearing. Fitzgibbons was on hand in behalf of the company with a legal adviser, but Raycraft failed to put in an appearance in reasonable time and the Justice non suited the case. A few minutes later Raycraft appeared in court. Mr. Fitzgibbons stepped up to Raycraft and offered to bring the matter to a conclusion by paying him $40 cash and to pay the cost of the court, although the company could not be held liable for them.

The proposition was indignantly refused by Raycraft. Fitzgibbons and his lawyer started out on the sidewalk, closely followed by Raycraft, who carried a jack-knife with a four inch blade. Fitzgibbons noticed


in his hand, and started on a run and made his way into the basket factory of Michael Mahan, on the south side of Eleventh streets. After entering the basket factory Fitzgibbons stumbled and fell to the floor, and by that time Raycraft and overtaken him and began slashing the fallen man with the knife. He stabbed him once in the right hip and once in the left breast, besides several minor cuts. James Moran noticed the trouble and started on his way to the Seventh Street Station to notify the police, but before an officer had arrived on the scene Henry Henning, a constable in Justice Smyth’s office, rushed in on Raycraft, and in all probability prevented a murder. Raycraft was taken by Constable Henning to the Seventh Street Police Station, where he was assigned to cell No. 2. After Fitzgibbons was cut he bled freely and was removed to Thomas Halpin’s drug store, northwest corner Tenth and O’Fallon streets, where he remained until


when he was taken to Dr. Clopton’s office on Morgan street, just west of Eighth. Dr. Clopton told a reporter that Mr. Fitzgibbons had been seriously cut in several places. The stab in the left breast was the most dangerous. The physician was afraid to probe the wound too deeply and is not sure that the knife did not enter the cavity of the chest. He thinks it probable that it may have done so. In this case, hemorrhage may set in at any moment, and the man is in an extremely critical condition. Fitzgibbons has another severe wound in his left buttock and was slashed in seven or eight other places. His clothes were cut to ribbons. After the wounds had been dressed Dr. Clopton’s office looked like a butcher’s stall. Mr. R.P. Tansey, of the Transfer Company took Mr. Fitzgibbons from the Doctor’s office to his residence, No. 3806 Finney avenue where he was again attended by physicians. The full extent of his injuries cannot be as certain before night.




A Brilliant Gathering at Mercantile Library Hall.


A very notable audience gathered at the Mercantile Library Hall this morning to hear the rehearsal for the concert of the St. Louis Musical Union, which takes place to-morrow evening at the same place. The music is chiefly orchestral, and in this respect it must be admitted that Mr. Waldauer has accomplished wonders. The taste for orchestral music has grown wonderfully in this country, and it is remarkable that up to the present time all efforts in this direction have in St. Louis proven failures, until Mr. Waldauer stepped into the breach and organized his present strong force. It fills a requirement felt and will put St. Louis on an equal standing with Chicago, Cincinnati, Boston and other cities, where the claim of superiority in this single respect has hitherto been more just than otherwise. The audience this morning was in the proportion of about fifty ladies to one gentleman, and it was accordingly a hearing peculiarly critical and exacting.

The full orchestra of fifty four performers gave the "Ossain" overture by Niels Gade in fine style, the more mechanical and rougher portions of the score being the best. Saint Saen’s symphonic poem, "Phaeton," was then treated in portions, and was excellently done, with the exception of one portion, where the brass had a slight misunderstanding with the stringed instruments. The aria and cavatina from the "Star of the North," by Miss A. Cuno, were very carefully treated by Mr. Waldauer, and some of the portions were repeated in order to secure a better unity between the flute accompanists, Mesars. Buechel and Loewe. It must be said that a fresher, sweeter and more beautiful voice than Miss Cuno’s has seldom been heard in St. Louis, and although her organ is not a strong one in volume, is brilliant in the other qualities which will be splendidly recognized. Miss Nellie Strong was perfectly at home with Reinecke’s concerto for the piano, and after a few trials accorded perfectly with the orchestra. The quartette by the Amphion quartette, Mears, Doan McCreery, Colville and Cunningham was done without orchestral accompaniments and was rich in harmonic effect. The more familiar numbers of Nicolas’ "Merry Wives of Windsor" overture, the "Artist’s Life" waltz by Strauss, and the musical mutilasion of composers, a very funny and original conception by Scherz, were splendidly rendered. A florid symphony after the Saint Saens style, "The Awakening of the Lion," by Kontski, closed the rehearsal at 1 o’clock, this being a number in the programme which will be peculiarly interesting.


His Arm Torn Off.


W.H. Harrison, aged thirty-five, and a machinist, from Chicago, while engaged this afternoon in rigging an elevator gearing in the furniture factory at the corner of St. Louis avenue and Twentieth street, had his right arm caught on the shafting and torn from the socket. His clothes were torn from his body and he was whirled around in a manner that left probably serious internal injuries.


A St. Louis Triumph.

Special to the Post-Dispatch

ATLANTA, GA., December 21. – The display of the Eugene Jaccard Jewelry Company attracts general admiration at the Exposition. Such a dazzling array of precious ware has rarely been witnessed in the South. To-day the commissioners presented to the E. Jaccard Jewelry Company the highest award in each class and they recommend a special gold medal of the value of $200 to the company for diamonds and silverware.




THE first annual ball of St. John’s Council, No. 2, K.F.M., will occur at St. John’s Hall, Sixteenth and Walnut streets, on Wednesday evening, December 28.

THE residence of Prosecuting Attorney Hogan, No. 2433 Dayton street, was attacked by burglars last night. They cut the window slats, but were frightened off.

A CHARGE of seduction against John J. Behrend was dismissed in the Courts of Criminal Correction to-day, the defendant having been indicted by the grand jury.

THE Grand Hanukah ball of the United Hebrew Congregation will take place at Liederkranz Hall on Thursday evening, December 22, 1881. The ball is for the benefit of the new Hebrew Temple.

A DRAMATIC entertainment to be given at the College of the Christian Brothers by the James Literary and Dramatic Union is announced for this evening. The entertainment will be an enjoyable one.

HYDE PARK council, No. 4, L. of H., will receive their friends at a hop at New Miners’ Hall, Thirteenth and Monroe streets, on Friday evening this week. This will be the event of the season in North St. Louis fashionable circles.

S.A. HOLMES and J.H. Kelley, the alleged crooks caught in Dunkin county for attempting to pass a $5 bill which had been fraudulently raised to at fifty on the face, had a preliminary hearing this afternoon before U.S. Commissioner Selby.


{This part of the paper is hard to read due to what looks like a tore off part not aligned right.}


The courts under the Dome to-day are rapidly disposing of jury cases prior to adjournment for the holidays. Judge Horner adjourned his court this morning until Tuesday, January 8, and he leaves for Ripon, Wisconsin to-night. Judge Thaver and a jury are still engaged with the trial of the damage suit Vaze vs. Peisch et al., injuries resulting from a rotten scaffolding rope. To-morrow morning Judge Boyle will hear the arguments upon the return or answer of the Police Board refusing to furnish a copy or give information of the manes on the Chief’s bond. The Commissioners claim that the no

----otion can arise upon the bond in the way suggested by Sam’l Bonney, the petitioner w------w as held on the charge of playing detective. The bond for $20,000 is furnished in the Board for courts of the moneys coming into the Chief’s ----------. The following jury cases were disposed of this morning:

Covenant Mutual Life Insurance Co., vs. William Ralpschlaeger, verdict and payment to plaintiff for $203.74; Arthur E. --- vs. Bernard Baer and Jacob Well, verdict for defendant on first count, and for plaintiff on the second count for $410.

Marriage licenses were granted this morning as follows: Hugh McFarland and Maris Breen; Karl Musener and Bab-- Walter; Albert E. Bonolz {or Bonoit} and Flora B. D-----; Geo. W. Watkins and Jennie Carroll; H---y Dorsey and Mary A. Murphy; Frank -----ch and Maggie Reinermann.

Letters of administration were granted to-day to Henry Schocker, administrator of Matthias Ullrich, estate valued at $----; to Albert C. Davis, administrator of Thor-- Hayward, estate valued at $1,500; and Hugh Redmond, administrator of Eliza Re---ond, estate valued at $7,000.

The following cases were d------d {discarded?} to-day; Thias vs. German – American Ba--; Fletcher vs. Valley National Bank; Oh---- vs. St. Louis Railroad Company; Lee {vs.?} Missouri Pacific Railroad Company.


Father Ryan’s Condition

Father Ryan has been shot in ----- {several?} places – in his shoulder, arm and ---- and one of the buttons on his coat -------- driven into his abdomen. He is -------- battered about the head, b------. His friends report him as in a very dangerous condition. Col. Nermile, who is Father Ryan’s attorney states that neither of --- ---erend gentlemen have made any statement. When their account comes before the ---- the true facts in the case will be prese---. {presented?}



December 22, 1881 page 6




Ceremonies at the Webster Kindergarten This Afternoon.

At this festive season of the year rosy and attractive school-teachers take reporters in charge and suggest adjectives to them with which to point up reports of the respective kindergartens and their Christmas exercises. A susceptible representative of the POST-DISPATCH fell in amongst a bevy of this kind this morning, and made more rash promises than he could even begin to fulfill.

The teachers of Webster School Kindergarten were in a glow of pleasurable excitement this morning, making preparations for their Christmas games and exercises, which take place this afternoon and to-morrow morning. The kindergarten is the largest in the city, the pupils numbering 350 and all under charge of Miss Nora Dorn. This lady is most capably assisted by Miss S.H. Carroll, Miss Nellie McCabe, Miss Lizzie Anderson, Miss Ollie Thomas, Miss Sevilla Brady and Miss N. Ford. The kindergarten is divided into two sections, the afternoon portion having its exercises this afternoon, under the charge of Miss S.H. Carroll, and the following programme is being rendered: Songs: "Thumbs and Fingers," hymn: "We Welcome You," "This is the Mother," "What’s This?" "Two Hands," "Go to Sleep," "Merry, Merry Christmas," "The Target," "The Smaller the Baker," "Rip-Rap," "Johnnie’s Trade," "Stars," "Jack Frost," "The Moon," "Jolly Old Fellow," "Swing, Cradle, Swing," Fritz’s "Cuckoo" song, during which the children will dance around the Christmas tree, the music of Miss Dorn being accompanied by triangle and tambourine.

The tree is a magnificent one, fully ten feet in height, and profusely decorated with toys, streamers and every variety of ornaments and bon-bons. As the children marched in each was presented with bon-bons and a gaily colored cap, which they wore during the festivities, the youngsters presenting a very lively and animated appearance. The festivities took place in the large rooms on the ground floor of the western building, and they were profusely decorated with wreaths and garlands of evergreen. The columns were also wound about with streamers of evergreens and a number of elaborate designs in flowers and evergreens adorned the walls. On the walls are the inscriptions: "Merry Christmas," "Let us Live for the Children," "Welcome," and other inscriptions and sentiments in the evergreen. Between apartments were suspended a large bell in evergreen with drapings of the same, a handsome symbol of kindergarten life. The entire surroundings and drapings were in exquisite taste and the Christmas tree is simply one of the handsomest ever seen in the city, and is dressed with good taste and variety in adornment. The children rendered the music in splendid style such indeed as would warrant the claim for Webster’s high standing in that feature. The balance of the kindergarten numbering 190 will have its exercises to-morrow morning at 10 o’clock, and this will be under the charge of Miss Nellie McCabe. The part of Santa Claus was assumed by Miss Allie Thomas, who suitably costumed and filled her part with excellent effect. The entire affair reflects great credit upon Miss Dorn and her capable assistants.





A Garfield Fund Collector – Postponed Depositions – Small Pox.

There was no new cases of small-pox to-day.

City collections to-day; Licences $769.23; taxes $39.26.

At the Dispensary 750 persons were vaccinated yesterday.

Sixteen burial permits were issued to-day by the Health Officer.

Geo. Raymond, aged 9 years, whose mother keeps a house of bad repute, was sent to the House of Refuge by the Mayor to-day.

The Ewing-Johnson depositions, which were to have been resumed at 2 o’clock to-day in City Counselor Bell’s office, have been postponed owing to Gov. Johnson being engaged in trying a case.

Mr. Nichols, banker, now of New York, but formerly of Cleveland, is now in the city in the interest of the Garfield National Fund. The Cleveland Committee wants Missouri to raise $3,000. All the States have been requested to raise a certain amounts. Cleveland has been given $50,000; Wisconsin $10,000; St. Louis has so far contributed $88.50. The Merchant’s Exchange lists foots up $6. Mr. Nichols will visit prominent citizens and ask them to form a committee to raise about $2,000. Gov. Crittenden suggested that this committee be formed.



MRS. MILIESON, living at 1224 Pine street, brought a twenty-two-week-old baby to the Four Courts this morning and said it had been left in her charge yesterday morning by a Miss Wilson, who promised to return and take it as soon as she could go to the City Hospital for some clothing she had left there. Miss Wilson did not return. Her darling was sent to St. Ann’s Foundling Asylum.


SECRETARY MORRISON RENSHAW received a letter from Detroit, Mich., stating that the writer desired information as to timber land in Southern Missouri. He also wants a partner to take an interest in the establishment of a belvehoop manufactory.


THE trial of the suit Eyermann against the Second National Bank, to recover moneys paid on a check to ex-School and County Treasurer Re----------, was commenced this morning in Judge Thayer’s court and was then held over till Saturday.



December 23, 1881 page 4

The Whale and the Balloon.

His royal highness the Prince of Whales, {the balloon} in his comfortable new quarters at Fourth and Spruce streets, received a large number of visitors this morning, and this afternoon the number is steadily increasing. Ample accommodation is afforded for all spectators, and the exclamations of wonder and astonishment heard on every side demonstrate the really exceptional nature of the attraction, and those who have not seen it should not lose this opportunity to see a curiosity which will probably never come this way again. The trifling charge for children should be noted, and it is certain that a more interesting and beneficial treat is not offered for the holiday season.

Capt. Englehardts aeronaut, Senor Jose Gomez, will not probably make any ascent to-day. Yesterday he had a splendid and successful trip and it was witnessed by about six thousand persons. The balloon arose majestically to a height of about 5,000 feet and caught a slight easterly current which moved it gracefully across the river, the myriads of "flies" or small advertising cards falling like snow in the meantime and finding their way in all parts of the city. The balloon landed a little east of St. Louis. Senor Gomez says that he had a narrow escape from a strong northerly current, which would have carried him a big distance if he had struck it. He will make a ascent to-morrow if the weather will permit.





About 2 o’clock this morning Officer Eckert, who patrols the beat along Main, near Randolph street, Carondelet, was attracted to Main and Taylor streets by three calls from a police whistle, blown by ex-officer O’Connor. The cause of the disturbance was that Mr. O’Connor had discovered a man under his bed with three new plush caps in his possession. Officer Eckert took him to the station, where he gave his name as John O’Reilly. He was arraigned in the police court this morning and sent to the Work House on a $100 fine.

Officer Earl is disconsolate this morning over an arrest that he failed to make last night, and Bill Jones, a notorious negro crook is accordingly jubilant. Jones visited George Ziegel’s saloon on Main and Randolph streets about eleven o’clock last night. When Ziegel wanted to close up a few minutes later, the negro made his exit though the back door and carried with him Ziegel’s coat, which contained a revolver and $20 in silver, Ziegel notified the police, and in company with Officer Earl visited a notorious negro dive in hope of finding their man. When Earl and Ziegel entered, Jones, who was present, immediately bid the company good-night. Ziegel nudged the officer and whispered that was their man. Earl gave a curse and fired three times at the fugitive to the imminent danger of the City Marshal and a few other police who happened in the neighborhood. Jones made good his escape and has not been heard from since. The escape was altogether due to Ziegel’s tardiness in recognizing the negro and giving him a good start.



City Hall News.

Eleven burial permits were issued to-day.

At the Dispensary 48 persons were vaccinated yesterday.

City collections to-day: Taxes, $37,331.15; licenses, $1,019.02; Recorder Irwin, $93.45.

John Fruh, a stone-cutter, aged seventy-six years, was sent to the Poor-house to-day.

There has been no deaths at Quarantine in the past few days. On of the sufferers is reported critical.

Mayor T.C. Bridwell, of Evansville, Ind., accompanied by R.D. Richards, visited Mayor Ewing to-day.

Willie Weddington, colored, aged 8 years, was committed to the House of Refuge, having been taken from his mother who is in a house of ill fame.

Four cases of small-pox and five persons were sent to Quarantine to-day. The cases are Emma, Michael and Robert Kemp, aged respectively 5, 2 and 1 year. Their mother accompanied them. The family have been in the city nine months and were living at 1522 North Seventh street. Wm. T. Claxton, aged 18 years, and a railroad laborer, from Champaign, Ill., was the fourth case.



December 24, 1881 page 1



Miss Susie Norvell will receive with Miss Tansey, 90 Garrison avenue.

Mrs. G.H. Goddard left Friday morning for the South to open the holidays with her father.

Miss Marie Stone, the handsome prima dona of the Boston Ideal Company, is the wife of Mr. W.H. Macdonald, the baritone.

Miss Lydia Blossom yesterday entertained, at her residence on Union avenue, her friends, Mr. and Mrs. Duncan, who were recently married at Hannibal, Mo.

Frank R. Bigney will be united in marriage.....................

{end of copy}


An Elks Social.

In the Elks Social Club room to-night beginning at 9 o’clock, a social reception will be given at which Prof. Epstein, the pianist; Mesers. Tom Karl and Barnabee, with other members of the Ideal Opera Company; Thomas W. Keene, the tragedian; Harold Forsberg of the Maye Company, and the Jubilee Singers, who made such a bit at the Garrett banquet last Saturday night, will be present to contribute to the intellectual features of the entertainment. The social promises to be successful at its predecessors. Music and mirth will mingle in agreeable proportions though the festivities.




The Throngs That Fill the Stores and Streets.


Santa Claus on Dress Parade – A Harbinger of a Happy Festival.


The streets are crowded to-day, the shops are thronged, and everywhere, indoors and outdoors, bustle and excitement prevail to an extent that makes the town look as if it were the scene of a wild holiday of some sort, in which women and children predominate. The day opened out brightly, and before noon the sun was shining pleasantly upon the jostling crowds. There was every indication of fair weather for the feast to-morrow. Of course, there is a saying to the effect that a green Christmas makes a fat graveyard, and many persons would like the old-fashioned holiday to come along with its cold winds and its mantle of snow over the scene. But there are thousands, indeed the great majority of the practical and unpoetical people of this time, who are in favor of the fairest skies and softest winds as accessories of their Christmas celebration. They are likely to have these, and hence the spirit of holiday runs and there is joy and brightness everywhere. So thoroughly imbued with the enthusiasm and kindly feeling of the occasion are all classes of persons that nobody is so mean as to keep his our her purse-strings drawn tight. The means man’s money and the spendthrifts flown in the same generous current into the tills of the retail shopkeepers. You all must


during this happy season, and all must turn to the shops to provide themselves with the articles needed.

Early this morning, Franklin avenue was thronged, and inquiring eyes were looking through the show windows with their lavish arrangement of toys and fancy goods. From the hardest and heaviest of hardware down to the flimsiest and frailest article made from tissue paper, every object had a fond admirer. From five cents up to $500; from a china mug up to a three-story base-burning parlor stove; from the pop-corn prize package up to a pair of 10-karat solitaire earrings – every article was in favor, and no shop was so small or so mean that it could not claim a rush of business and a throng of customers. At noon the person who tried to move along Fourth, Fifth or Sixth street or Franklin avenue found it difficult to pedestrianize, and the streets themselves were almost choked with vehicles. Everybody carried a dozen bundles, large and small, which made locomotion all the more difficult, and Christmas gifts a burden that was very hard to bear.

The shop-keepers have resorted to every device to attract attention and custom, and the pavements in front of several prominent...............

{rest of article un-readable}





Open Every Evening Until 9 P.M.

This is the only first-class "Turkish Bath" in St. Louis.

Open Sunday for gentlemen from 7 a.m. to 12 m.




December 24, 1881 page 4



He Wants $1,000 From His Clerical Assailant.


No Action Taken in the Matter by the Ecclesiastical Authorities – The Damage Suit.


A reporter of the POST-DISPATCH called at the house of the private friend where Father Ryan, the target of last Friday’s shooting scrape at the Mansion House, is lying, to learn his condition. The Father is denied to visitors, but the domestics of the house who came to the door in answer to the reporter’s summons stated that he was much worse than he had been for several days. No fears of the ultimate restoration to health or entertained, however.

Vicar-General Muhlstepen, who with Bishop Ryan and Father Ziegler, continues the Ecclesiastical Court of this Archdiocese, stated to a POST-DISPATCH reporter that no action had yet been determined upon by them in relation to the matters alleged against Father’s Ryan and O’Hanlon. Father Muhlstepen was unable to say whether or not either of the priests had been suspended. It is not likely, however, that they have, since the Archbishop would hardly, of his own motion, without a previous report to him by the court, proceed so harshly against two of his subordinate clergymen.

Father Ryan, of course, will be unable to preach or sing mass to-morrow. As to Father O’Hanlon, the programme at St. Michael’s Church for Christmas Day includes him as celebrant of the 10:30 o’clock solemn high mass. Of course if he is suspended or interdicted from exercising priestly functions some other priest will be assigned to sing this mass in his stead.

Late last night Sylvester H. Fitzwater, the proprietor of the Mansion House, by his attorney, filed a suit against Father Ryan, claiming $1,000 damages for injuries received in Friday’s melee. Father Ryan is much worse hurt than Fitzwater, and has announced his intention to prosecute Fitzwater as soon as he can leave his room.

The following is a copy of Fitzwater’s petition:

Sylvester H. Fitzwater vs. James Ryan, In the Circuit Court City of St. Louis, February term, A.D., 1881.

Plaintiff Sylvester H. Fitzwater, complains of defendant James Ryan, and for cause of action against said defendant says that on the night of December 16, 1881, said defendant, with force and arms, unlawfully and with great violence assaulted the said plaintiff in the City of St. Louis, and State of Missouri, and then and there with a certain stick of wood gave and struck the said plaintiff a very violent blow and stroke in and upon his, plaintiffs, face, forehead and nose, by means of which the said plaintiff was greatly hurt, bruised and wounded, and became and was sick, sore and disordered, and so remained for the space of more than one week, and was hindered and prevented from performing and transacting his necessary affairs and business, and also thereby said plaintiff was forced and obliged to and did necessarily pay, lay out and expend a large sum of money, to-wit: the sum of $200, in and about endeavoring to be cured of the bruises, wounds, sickness, soreness and disorders afore-aid.

Plaintiff says he is damaged by reason of....................

{end of copy}



December 26, 1881 page 4

{editorial section}

On Friday next Mr. Erb, the wife-slayer, will be executed in this city, if there is no preventing Providence nor interfering Governor.


Considering the smallness of our police force and the largeness of our hoodlum population, we are getting though the holidays quite peacefully.


The question of "wine or no wine" on New Year’s Day should be determined by the ability of people to entertain and the character of the young men who call upon them.




December 27, 1881 page 8



I am offering the best value for the least money of any house in the city in line of Diamonds, Watches, Chains and Jewelry of all descriptions.

Diamond and Solitaire Bar-Rings at $20, $32, $56 and $80; Diamond Solitaire Rings at $15, $22, $35, $65 and upwards; Diamond Cluster Rings at $25, $30, $42 and upwards; Diamond Bar Pins at $15, $27, $-5 and upwards; Genis’ Key or Stem Movements in Gold Cases from $25 upwards; Ladies’ Gold Watches in key-winding $10, $13, $16 and upwards, and a full line of Jewelry Opera Glasses and other goods at equally low figures. Call and examine my stock.


Jeweler and Broker,

(Red Front) 208 North Fourth Street.


{these were under the heading "Local News" but are still ads}



From to-day and until New Year’s D. Crawford & Co. will offer the balance of their stock of toys and fancy goods generally at greatly reduces prices.




For Holiday and Wedding Presents at Boston prices, no extra charge for freight, at


500 N. Fourth street.


She has the complexion of a peach; Pozzoni’s Face Powder did it.


PRIVATE matters skillfully treated and medicine sent to any address. Dr. Dinsbeer, 415 N. Seventh st.


Drink Habit and Drunkenness.

Now is the time to use Dr. Lelie E. Keely’s Double Chloride of Gold Remedy, and cure yourself of the drink habit before New Year’s Day, and turn over a new leaf. Treatise free, 114 North Seventh street. P.D. Cordell, agent.


Dr. E.C. Chase,

922 Olive street. Set of teeth $8.


Dr. Whittler 617 St. Charles St., St. Louis.

A regular graduate, oldest office in U.S. for cure of private matters, veneral diseases, etc.



Wine for the Holidays.

If you need good, pure wines call on A. Thoman, 6 South Fifthstreet.


{end of ads}



The Military Parade

The Irish-American military companies and the benevolent organizations will make a strong showing this evening in honor of T.P. O’Connor, Parnell’s trusted deputy, who will explain the "No Rent Manifesto" to our people at the Merchants’ Exchange to-night at 8 o’clock.




December 28, 1881 page 5


{cut off headline}

The only case of small-pox reported at the Dispensary to-day was Annie Wiesler, aged 7 years, who was found at 1748 Broadway. She will be sent to Quarantine. The reports from the Small-pox Hospital, last night, showed Birdie Lee and John Henry to be very critical; McCune, Claxton, Kemp and Andrews were critical, but there were hopes of recovery. Lillybeck was improving. August and Joseph Seifert had developed cases of variola. All others were doing well.

City Clerk Shannon of East St. Louis reported a case of small-pox in that burg to-day. The Mayor of East St. Louis has written a communication to Mayor Ewing on the subject of having the small-pox cases developing there taken care of at Quarantine. The communication has been referred to Health Commissioner Francis, and it is probable some arrangements will be entered into. As it is now two Illinois patients are in the small-pox hospital at Quarantine. They came across the bridge either on foot or in the bus, walked into the Dispensary and were sent down. Unless the two cities come to some understanding it is probable that the small-pox patients of the east side will walk over here and give themselves up.

The city physicians and the Health Commissioner insist that there is not any great danger of an extensive small-pox epidemic. The only bad feature of the disease as it now exists is the manner in which it is spread in very few cases to different sections of the city. Vaccination is going on, and all persons who apply at the Dispensary for virus and give assurance that it will not be wasted are furnished with a sufficient quantity to answer their purposes.


An instance of the manner in which an attempt is frequently made by other cities to impose upon the charity of St. Louis is furnished this morning by Dr. Luedeking, clerk of the Board of Health, who handed the Mayor two letters – one from a distinguished physician of Eldon, Mo., who spells operation with two p’s, and who recommended Robert L. Miller to a distinguished surgeon of this city for admission into the hospital. Miller had gotten mixed up in a threshing machine in 1860, and Dr. Sterling represented that he had fracture of the skull and a depression near the "posterior fontinell," and would be a good case for "clinical lecture on surgery." The St. Louis surgeon to whom Miller was referred ascer..................

{end of copy}