By Scott K. Williams
This old building from colonial times was known as "the old Chouteau mansion". While its exact placement is in question, it is believed to have been situated in Bonfils, near the Wabash RR tracks. It was probably the country home of the Chouteau family which owned land in the vicinity. The village of Bonfils no longer exists and has been incorporated within the City of Bridgeton.
Note: If you know of a place name that should be added to this page, have a photograph/ photo postcard of one of these places, and you would like to share, please contact me at email@example.com
"Kenwood Springs", St. Louis County, Mo. This postcard is circa 1910. In 1910 Federal Census, Ernest M. Leonard is recorded as living on Natural Bridge Road (no street number given). By the 1920 census he is living at 3710 Salome Ave. (which is a side street directly off Natural Bridge Road), in present day City of Pine Lawn. In a May 3, 1908 (part 3, page9) advertisement in the St. Louis Republic newspaper, the Kenwood Springs Realty Company (owned by Herman C. G. Luyties) describes Kenwood Springs as "The Garden Spot of St. Louis County", located on Natural Bridge Road, and that over 100 families are living there. "Only desirable people, those of families, are wanted at Kenwood. Those who will own their own house and live in it. No speculators can get hold of Kenwood property." "Kenwood Springs is accessible to the city. All improvements are made--Sewerage, sidewalks, graded streets, county water supply, electric light, telephone service, gas, curbs, fine flowers, trees, natural drainage, restricted property..." Various models of homes were available including the very popular "bungalow". The add states one can secure a house for "$50 down and the balance on easy monthly installments." 1908 directions to Kenwood Springs: "Take any car to Wellston or Suburban Garden. Change to car marked 'Ferguson.'. Three minutes ride from Suburban Garden. Just outside the city limits." Thanks to Dennis Northcott, researcher at the Missouri Historical Society for finding this advertisement.
More about the resident: Ernest M. Leonard (b. circa 1871 Maine) and his wife, Jessie N. (b. circa 1871 Mass.) lived with son, Stuart M. (b. 1906 Missouri). In the 1910 Federal census (Central Township-St. Louis County) Leonard is listed as a shoemaker and by 1920 he is listed as a superintendent of a shoe factory. By 1930, the Leonard family had moved off to the Mobile area of Alabama and were operating a truck farm.
P.O.- Post Office
A 1883 Colorized Map of St. Louis may help place many of these locations. Unfortunately this map does not include the area west of Quinette (Kirkwood/Meramec Station) area.
See note regarding Townships
Note: Some towns that proceeded the time the City split off from the County, and are now located within the City of St. Louis, may be inadvertently listed under St. Louis County.
Alderly Station, in 1883, located in northern Central township on the Wabash-St. Louis-Pacific RR line, at edge of Normandy Park, north of Normandy Station.
Anglum, P.O. 1894-1929
Ashland Station, in 1883, in St. Ferdinand township, located at the cross-roads of the Wabash-St. Louis-Pacific RR (between Ferguson Station and Graham Station) and narrow gauge RR (leading to Florissant). (Not to be confused with Ashland P.O. in the City of St. Louis.)
Atherton, located near the Missouri river, later named Monarch. Incorporated into the City of Chesterfield.
Ascalon, P.O. 1896-1904
Barrett's Station, P.O. 1856-1874, 1890-1892
Bartold, P.O. 1890-1901
Bartold Valley, P.O. 1877-1890
Beckville, P.O. 1873-1883
Bellefontaine P.O. located west of Creve Coeur. It was previously known as Bellemonte but changed to Bellefontaine in 1869, PO operated to 1907.. Later it was incorporated into the City of Chesterfield. (Not to be confused with Bellefontaine Neighbors or Fort Bellefontaine located in the NE St. Louis County)
Bellemonte, P.O. established 1851. Changed name to Bellefontaine in 1869. Incorporated into the City of Chesterfield.
Belle Grove, P.O. 1847-1849
Bismark Heights, became part of City of Lemay, in the old Carondelet township.
Bissell, located in the old St. Ferdinand township, a non-incorporated community that grew up surrounding the Gen. Daniel Bissell homestead. In 1895 had a post office.
Bobring Heights, or simply Bobring, P.O. 1881-1901, became part of City of Lemay, in the old Carondelet township
Bonhomme P.O. (operated until 1895) Located in the old Meramec township. Incorporated into the City of Chesterfield.
Bonfils P.O. 1894-1914. Located in the old St. Ferdinand township, on the Wabash RR. Bonfils Drive in Bridgeton still bears the name.
Bonfils Station,. PO 1867-1894. Located short distance east of Bonfils P.O. on Wabash RR.
Brotherton (a river settlement located in the Old St. Ferdinand township) Was at the terminus of St. Charles Rock Road, where ferries operated to carry passengers over to St. Charles. Later the Wabash Railway had its transfer boats here, that is, before the Wabash RR bridge was built. (Wabash-St. Louis-Pacific RR line) Brotherton washed away in a flood of 1883. It was named for Marshall Brotherton, a land owner of the area.
Brotherton, PO There was a post office of Brotherton from 1866 to 1881. It is not certain which Brotherton location this refers.
Brotherton, in 1883 was an area in extreme south central St. Ferdinand township. Located south of Ferguson, north of Normandy, west of Jennings.
Castello, PO 1889-1902
Castlewood, PO 1920-1933. Castlewood State Park occupies this area today.
Cave Cliff Station, in 1883 this was a station along the St. Louis-Iron Mountain RR., located south of Jefferson Barracks.
Centaur Station, PO 1891-1959. incorporated into the city of Chesterfield
Central P.O. in the old Central township 1851-1908
Church, PO 1897-1905
Clemens, PO 1881-1885
College Station (College View Hill Station), located on the Wabash-St. Louis-Pacific RR between Jennings Station and Ferguson Station. (1883 source)
Colemans (or Coleman) P.O. 1870-1880 in the old Central township, just west of the boundary with City of St. Louis.
Cote Brilliant, PO 1872-1873
Crescent, PO 1884-1964 (Probably in the "Cresent Hills" area of southwest St. Louis County.)
Cross Keys, PO 1885-1902. located in the old St. Ferdinand township at the intersection of Robbin's Mill and Hall's. Ferry Roads. First settled in 1850 by a settler by the name of Obermeyer. Today a shopping center at New Hall's Ferry and HWY 67 (Lindbergh) bears this name.
Darby's Hill, in 1883 located in Central township, south of Normandy.
Dewey Heights, became part of City of Lemay, in the old Carondelet township.
Dwyer, PO 1884-1904
Elleard, PO 1866-1873
Eatherton, later named Atherton and then Monarch. Incorporated in the City of Chesterfield.
Fairview P.O. 1867-1873. Fairview Station, in 1883 in southeast Central township, located along the Missouri-Pacific RR. Between Laclede Station and Webster Groves.
Fee Fee, PO 1842-1859
Fern Ridge, PO 1878-1894
Fernridge, PO 1894-1904 (name change, to one word)
Fox Creek, PO 1833-1904
Gardenville, PO 1873-1892
Glades, PO 1884-1886
Gencoe, PO 1855-1981 present ?
Glendale Station, in 1883 on Missouri Pacific RR, southwest of Fairview Station. Northwest Carondelet Township. In Kirkwood-Webster Groves area.
Glen Park, in 1883 in southeast Central township, south west of Fairview and east of Webster Groves.
Graham Station, Wabash-St. Louis-Pacific RR station located in Hazelwood.
Grover, PO 1888-1904, 1934-1981? (incorporated as Wildwood)
Gumbo, PO 1882-1907. incorporated into the City of Chesterfield.
Hamilton, PO 1823-1824
Hathaway, PO 1875-1876
Hillside, PO 1891-1901
Hog Hollow, PO 1871-1872. Original name for the town of Lake, incorporated into City of Chesterfield.
Hollow, PO 1884-1904
Jamestown, PO 1820-1826. a village located in the old St. Ferdinand township, near Black Jack. (Today a shopping mall at Lindbergh and old Jamestown road bears this name.)
Jefferson Barracks, PO 1828-1855, 1858-1875, 1877-1901. Military Cantonement, partially still active. Occupied by Jefferson Barracks County Park, Army National facility, Veterans Hospital, and National Cemetery.
Kelpe, PO 1886-1896
Kinloch, PO 1892-1924. Located at old aviation ground known as Kinloch Field. Eventually became a black community. With Lambert Field Airport expansion, this town has nearly vanished. Some remains of street network are still visible, but nearly all buildings gone.
Kenwood Springs Restricted housing development located on Natural Bridge Road, in the Pine Lawn vicinity. (See photo above)
Koch, PO 1910-1925, 1927-1978
Lackland, PO 1909-1910
Lake, P.O. 1872-1905 located in the old Bonhomme township, near Creve Coeur lake. Incorporated into the City of Chesterfield.
Larimore, located in the old St. Ferdinand township on Larimore Road that spurs off Bellefontaine Rd. and runs to Columbia Bottom Road. It is the community north of O'Neill. It has a RR station, a school called "Prigge School", and St. Aloysius Catholic Church.
Locust Grove, in 1883 located in Central Township, south of Normandy and north of Mt. Olive.
Loehr, PO 1897-1902
Longwood, became part of City of Lemay, in the old Carondelet township.
Lowell, PO 1870-1873
Luxemburg a city that changed names to become Lemay. In the old Carondelet township
Marais des Liards, this old french community was the seed for modern day Bridgton.
Mattese, PO 1853-1869, 1882-1887, 1889-1902, 1904-1907.
Mattis, PO 1876
Meacham Park, a primarily black community that was incorporated in 1991 in the City of Kirkwood.
Melrose, PO 1858-1904
Meramec Highlands, 1892-1907
Meramec Station/Post Office, in 1883 located on the Missouri-Pacific RR, southwest of Kirkwood in Bonhomme township. Located at Quinette. Post Office active in 1892.
Midland, PO 1900-1903
Mill Spring, PO 1865-1873
Mincke, PO 1909-1910
Mokerville (or Mokeville) P.O., 1872-1879 in the old Central Township.
Moline Heights, located on Halls Ferry Road in the old St. Ferdinand township, on ground once owned by Thomas Gardner. It had a store and blacksmith shop, operated by Jas. H. Brown.
Monarch, PO 1895-1907. incorporated into City of Chesterfield
Mt. Olive, PO 1877-1885. in 1883, town in Central township, Olivette area.
Musick's Ferry, at the terminus of Hall's Ferry Road and the Missouri River in old St. Ferdinand township. Reuben Musick operated a ferry here.
Nadowissia, PO 1835-1840
Nasby, PO 1878-1886
New Alsace P.O. 1875-1891 Located in the old Bonhomme Township
Nuroad, PO 1924-1938
Nursery, PO 1892-1904, 1907-1926
Oakland Station, in 1883 on the Missouri Pacific RR, in northwest Carondelet township, southwest of Glendale Station. (Kirkwood-Webster Groves area)
Old Orchard, PO 1886-1901 a community that became part of City of Webster Groves
O'Neill, PO 1888-1891, 1900-1901. located in the old St. Ferdinand township. Named for Congressman John J. O'Neill. Located on the Columbia Bottom Road. Had a post office and German Lutheran Church (St. Petri), built in 1864. Community abandoned due to seasonal flooding.
Orrville, PO 1868-1895. incorporated into the City of Chesterfield
Owen's Station, PO 1834-1843. Present day Bridgeton. Named after Robert Owens, an American settler who received a land grant from the Spanish government. As the location received more and more English speaking settlers, the name "Owen's Station" gradually replaced the French placename, "Marais des Liards".
Pattonville P.O. 1876-1958. In northwest St. Louis County (SW part of old St. Ferdinand township.)
Patterson Settlement. Settled by descendants of John Patterson and associated families. Patterson was one of the handful of American colonist that received permission by the Spanish government to settle in this territory. The settlement was "bounded by the Missouri River on the north, Coldwater Creek on the south, Hall's Ferry road on the west, and the Bellefontaine road on the east.
Pond, PO 1866-1887, 1889-1904
Possum Hollow, community located in the old St. Ferdinand township, "2 1/2 miles West of the Burlington Bridge, on the Missouri River."
Price P.O. 1874-1902 in the old Central Township.
Prospect Hill (was first station on the Burlington RR coming north from the City of St. Louis to St. Louis County. A large Portland cement plant was in operation there.
Quarantine, PO 1893-1910
Quinette, a town west of Kirkwood, along Missouri-Pacific RR. Founded in 1859 by Oliver Quinette (1817-1882), a railroad stockholder. Today Quinette Road in Valley Park and Quinette cemetery bear the name.
Pulltight, a village located in the old St. Ferdinand township, neighboring Black Jack
Ranken, PO 1884-1893
Rich Valley, location depicted on 1883 maps. West of Spanish Lake and east of Black Jack.
Rinkelville, PO 1875-1886
Roger's Village, the site of a Shawnee-Delaware Indian village at Village-a-Robert (Bridgton). Roger's Village was named after their white chief, Capt. Lewis Rogers, who after being taken prisoner as a child became thoroughly "Indian" in behavior. This village was founded about 1794 and was in existence as late as 1804. In 1804, the village relocated to a site at a large spring of the Meramec River. Later they moved downstream to settle about five miles from Union in Franklin County near the fork with the Bourbeuse River.
Rose Hill Station, on Missouri Pacific RR, Bonhomme township, Kirkwood vicinity.
Rosa, PO 1901-1905
Ruegg, PO 1905-1938
St. Andrews, originally known as "San André del Misuri", was founded by a Spanish land grant in May 1798 by Scottish immigrant, James MacKay. It was located on the flood plain of the Missouri River in an area known as the "Bonhomme Bottoms", now incorporated into present day City of Chesterfield. In 1844, the town and its cemetery washed away in a flood.
St. Ferdinand, former name to City of Florissant. Some historic references from colonial times give the settlement's name as, "St. Ferdinand of Florissant".
St. John's Station, PO 1923-1925
Sands, name current in 1911 for the old town of Brotherton
Selma, a community of this name became part of the city of Lemay in the old Carondelet township. Another community by this name became part of the City of Webster Groves in 1896.
Sherman, PO 1864-1980.
Sherwood, PO 1899-1904
Shores Switch, PO 1892-1896
Shoveltown, community located at the intersection of Old Halls Ferry and Lindbergh Blvd. Got its name from disturbance in which residents took up shovels in a fight.
The Sinks- not a community really, just an area in the old St. Ferdinand township with numerous sink-holes. They extend from "Old Hall's Ferry to the Missouri river, west of the Robin's Mill road."
Smizers Mills, PO 1857-1858.
South Kinloch Park, PO 1924-1959
Spurville, unknown location or when post office operated there.
Stratmann, PO 1879-1907
Stringtown located in the old St. Ferdinand township near the old St. Stanislaus Seminary, two miles west of Florissant. This "large settlement" was also known as "Priest's Farm".
Studt, PO 1896-1902
Sutter, PO 1886-1903
Times Beach, on the banks of the Meramac river on I-44 near Eureka.
Tower Hill, in 1883 located in Central Township
Tuxedo Park, (or Tuxedo) PO 1893-1901, became part of Webster Groves (1896)
Rich Valley P.O. (1883 map has this P.O. located in Spanish Lake, in the Old St. Ferdinand township)
Valley P.O.1873-1877 in the old Central Township.
Vigus, PO 1899-1955
Villa Place, in 1883 located in Central township.
Village A Robert, another name for Marais des Liards (Bridgton)
Walton Place, in 1883 located in northern Central township, west of Normandy Park. Along narrow gauge RR that led to Florissant.
Waltonham, PO 1828-1843, 1845-1861
Webster or Webster Park. merged with surrounding communities in 1896 to become Webster Groves.
Webster Station, PO 1860-1862. Webster Groves area.
Windom, PO 1891-1907
Winkler's Point, PO 1873
Woodland, in 1883 in Kirkwood-Webster Groves area (northwest Carondelet township boundary, north of the Missouri-Pacific RR.
Originally for planning purposes St. Louis County was divided up into townships. The actual boundaries can be seen on a black/white 1883 St. Louis Township Map published in the "History of St. Louis City and County", by J. Thomas Scharf. These townships were:
While these identities may have the same names as actual towns or cities, they are not analogous. For instance St. Ferdinand township encompassed an area from present day Bridgeton, Ferguson, Florissant, Blackjack, Spanish Lake and all of "North County" to the boundary to the City of St. Louis.
Today the County is still divided up into townships, but many more have been added and it is vastly different arrangement from the 1883 version. Since many of my sources come from old accounts, I will use the old township map and not the modern version.
Note: Some towns that proceeded the time the City split off from the County may have inadvertently be listed under St. Louis County.
(P.O.- Post Office)
Ashland P.O. There is a Ashland Ave. and Ashland School (3921 North Newstead Ave.) in St. Louis. The school is located in the Penrose Park area, which is included in the Fairgrounds Park neighborhood.
Baden P.O. Was a city originally known as "Germantown". Frederick Kraft, the first Postmaster, was instrumental in getting the name changed to his native city of Germany. This was one of the last areas incorporated by the City of St. Louis in 1876. Now the name lives on as a neighborhood)
Benton Barracks, a Union Army post with large hospital, 150 acres located in the north part of the city at Grand Ave. and Natural Bridge Road. Fairgrounds Park occupies part of the area.
Binkelville (a mis-spelling on map published by J. Thomas Scharf, "History of St. Louis City and County. Should be Rinkelville.)
Bissell's Point a sharp bend in the river known to riverboat pilots. Was the estate of Capt. Lewis Bissell.
Bremen, Town of. First settled by primarily German immigrants in the 1840's. had its own Post Office from 1850-1856. Incorporated into the City of St. Louis in 1856 and is now part of the Hyde Park neighborhood.)
Camp Jackson, located at a location known as "Lindell's Grove". This is the name designated for the April, 1861 muster of the Missouri State Militia. Each year it met here with a different name. But its 1861 name has been immortalized by an event that occurred here during the Civil War. It was situated at the following location: bordered on the North by Olive Street, on the South by Laclede Avenue, on the West by Grand Avenue. On the East, it was bordered by Garrison and Ewing Avenues. Today the area is occupied by buildings near Frost Campus of St. Louis University.
Carondelet, a french settlement (founded in 1767) that grew to become a city. Merged with City of St. Louis in 1870.
Cheltenham P.O. 1858-1886. a rural community in the 1850's. Became well known for its clay brick production. Had its own train station, located at Hampton and Manchester roads, until the 1980's. Incorporated into St. Louis in 1876. Formerly known as "Sulphur Springs" previously. Now in an area frequently referred to as "Dogtown". Known officially as the Oakland neighborhood.
Chouteau's Pond, formed by the damning of Rock Creek (Le Petite Riviere) near Ninth and Popular Streets. Originally called Taillon's Pond, but renamed after Auguste Chouteau enlarged it. Three mills operated at this location, so Rock Creek became known as Mill Creek. Chouteau's Pond was drained for health reasons. Draining began in the early 1850's but it is not known when the pond completely disappeared. Reportably the spring water still flows but in Mill Creek sewer that drains into the Mississippi.
Delor's Village, an early name for Carondelet.
Dogtown, unofficial nickname of neighborhood that is roughly between Manchester Road, McCausland, Oakland and Hampton Avenues.
Elleardsville P.O. a town that surrounded a nursery with greenhouses owned by Charles M. Elleard, a florist. Centered at the intersection of St. Charles Rock Road (now Martin Luther King Dr. in the city limits) and Goode Avenue. After annexation in 1876, area was just known as "the Ville". It is now in the Grand Prairie neighborhood of St. Louis.
Gravois Coal Mines, PO 1871-1873
Kerry Patch, slums in the northwest part of the city that were settled by Irish immigrants. The exact boundaries of this now vanished ghetto are not known. However, one author described the vicinity of Morgan and Twenty-second Streets as being in the "heart" of the Kerry Patch.
Louisbourg, an early name for Carondelet
Mill Spring P.O. Named after Mill Creek. Probably located in the vicinity of Central West End neighborhood.
Mound City, an early nickname for St. Louis, which once had numerous Indian mounds.
Rinkelville, P.O. 1875-1886, a settlement centered at the intersection of St. Charles Rock Road (now Martin Luther King Dr. within the city limits) and Goodfellow Ave. that grew up surrounding a tavern owned by a George Rinkel. Now in the Arlington neighborhood of St. Louis.
St. Louis Arsenal, PO 1875-1877. This military facility has been active since the 1820's. During the 1870's it functioned as a Cavalry recruiting post.
Sulphur Springs, original name for a resort hotel built in 1830's by William Sublette, a noted trapper. Located at corner of Sulphur Ave and Manchester road. Name changed to Cheltenham in 1850's.
Vide Poche, early nickname for Carondelet, meaning "empty pocket"
History's Time Portal to Old St. Louis
You are the 73833rd Visitor to this Site. This page was last updated Wednesday, 27-Jul-2005 11:38:39 CDT by Scott K. Williams, Florissant, Mo.