Bertie Precinct was formed in 1722 from Chowan County. It was named in honor of James and Henry Bertie who had purchased land from the original eight Lord Proprietors.
It is in the northeastern section of the State and is bounded by Albemarle Sound, Chowan River, and Washington, Martin, Halifax, Northampton and Hertford Counties.
Researching Land in Bertie, keep these dates in mind as to where the same land was at various dates in history:
- 1664-1668 Albemarle County
- 1668-1722 Chowan County
- 1722 - Bertie Precinct formed from part of Chowan Precinct
- 1729 - Parts of Bertie Precinct, Chowan Precinct, Currituck Precinct, and Pasquotank Precinct of Albemarle County were combined to form Tyrrell Precinct.
- 1739 - Albemarle County abolished, all of its constituent precincts became counties.
- 1741 - Edgecombe taken out of southwestern Bertie
- 1741 - Northampton taken out of northwestern Bertie
- 1759 - Hertford taken from northern Bertie. (This line changed again in 1877 and once again in 1907.)
Its land area is 698.88 square miles and its population in 1990 was 20,388.
Windsor, the present county seat, was established in 1766 and was made county seat in 1774.