When Montgomery County was formed in 1779 from Anson County, It was named in honor of Richard Montgomery who, in 1775, lost his life at the battle of Quebec in the attempt to conquer Canada. Located in the south section of the State of North Carolina, it is bounded by Moore Co, Richmond Co, Stanly Co, Davidson Co and Randolph County.
When the county was first established it was specified that the first court should be held at the home of Henry Munger, and all subsequent courts should be held where the justices of peace decided until a courthouse was built.
In 1783 the Assembly authorized the building of the courthouse on land previously purchased for that purpose. There was some dissatisfaction among the people as to the location that had been selected but this didn't sway the commissioners from the location they had selected. In an effort to appease the ones dissatisfied the act provided for adequate ferries across the Yadkin and Uwharrie Rivers on the court, public, and election days.
The General Assembly was petitioned to authorize removal of the courthouse in 1785. In 1791 an act was passed directing that the center of the county be located by actual survey, and Stokes was to be established at that place. petitioned to authorize the removal of the courthouse. When the commissioners failed to act new commissioners were named in 1792. At that time the courts were to be held at the home of Mark Kenneth unless the justices decide on some more convenient place.
The courthouse battle continued on for several more years with the commissioners in 1815 being named to again locate the center of the county, purchase land, and erect a courthouse. They were authorized to sell the old courthouse and lot in the town of Henderson and apply the proceeds to the erection of the new buildings. In 1816 Laurenceville was named under the authority of a law enacted in 1815 establishing a town at the courthouse. The courthouse was ordered to be moved in 1843 from Laurenceville to the geographical center. Commissioners were named to locate the center, to acquire land, to lay out a town and erect the public buildings. In 1844 Troy was established as the county seat and remains so today.
Towns of Montgomery County
|Parsons Grove Church||351626N
Montgomery County Homepage