About Wayne County
Wayne County was created in 1779, when it was formed from the western half of Dobbs County. Twelve years later, in 1791, the remainder of Dobbs County was divided into Lenoir and Glasgow (Greene after 1799), and Dobbs County thus ceased to exist. The early records of Dobbs County were destroyed when the Lenoir County Court House was burned in 1878. Wayne County was named for Revolutionary War General Anthony Wayne (called "Mad Anthony"), hero of the Battle of Fallen Timbers. It is in the eastern part of North Carolina and is surrounded by Johnston, Wilson, Greene, Lenoir, Duplin, and Sampson counties.
Back in 1909, the late J. M. Hollowell wrote a series of articles of a historical nature, which were published in The Goldsboro Weekly Record. Following Mr. Hollowell's death June 18, 1912, these articles appeared in The Goldsboro Herald.
Believing that these articles published in handy booklet form would be of interest to many people, the publisher of The Herald gave them away with each year's subscription to The Goldsboro Herald in June 1939.
Articles on Wayne County's History:
American Revolution Bicentennial articles published by News-Argus in 1975
"Our Heritage" articles published by Mt. Olive Tribune
This nonprofit genealogical-historical research site is a member of the USGenWeb Project, AHGP, ALHN, and hosted on the Safe-Site Server of USGenNet, an IRS-approved nonprofit public benefit corporation. No claim is made to the copyrights of individual submitters, and this site complies fully with USGenNet's Nonprofit Conditions of Use.
Please email comments
and suggestions to: Terria Baynor-Web Hostess
Site Originated & Maintained by: Diana Holland Faust 1996-September 2001
© 2001 Terria Baynor