NEGenWeb Project Logo

USGenWeb Project Logo

James E. Boyd

The Boyd County, Nebraska research page is proud to be part of the USGenWeb and NEGenWeb projects.

The USGenWeb project consists of a group of volunteers, working together to provide Internet websites for genealogical research in every county and every state of the United States.  This project is non-commercial and fully committed to free access for everyone.

This site provides a location where new volunteers can find answers to many of the questions they have about the USGenWeb Project. Where help is needed, guidelines for county and state websites, etc. It also provides information that coordinators can review on subjects that may come up after they establish their state, county or town website. Please help out by adopting a county today!

Copyright 2001 Pamela R. Roy
Any information found here within this page may be used freely by fellow genealogists. Any commercial use or posting of pages without consent of the author/host of these pages is prohibited.

Page Creation: July 3, 2001

 



Anoka, Nebraska was organized as a town in 1903. The land in which the city sits on was bought from Jack Wyman and Anton Ziska by the railroad. The railroad company took the land they needed for their track and railroad station. All remaining land was sold at auction. The town was given the name of "Anoka," a Dakota Indian word meaning "on both sides." Anoka, Nebraska is located on the Ponca Creek.

The first building in town was The White House Saloon, which was built by T. E. Keeffe. He had to go to Jackson, Nebraska to purchase the lumber for it and hauled the lumber to Anoka himself by team and wagon. He and his family lived in this building until they had enough money to build a house.

Other early businesses in town included two grain elevators, one built by Nye Schnieder and the other by Nelson Updike. The hotel was owned and operated by Mr. Bill Stockwell and the Livery Stable owned and operated by the Richardson Brothers. McMeen and Mannen owned the General Store. The Eiseley Hardware Store was the first hardware business in Anoka . "The Anoka Herald" was the weekly newspaper and H.W. Parchen was its publisher. The Lumber Yard was owned by William Krotter and managed by Bert Green. Scofield's was the first Drug Store, Clinton Reed operated the Barber Shop, and the first bank was the Anoka National Bank, with William D. Forbes as President, James Forbes, Vice President, and W. W. Roberts as Cashier. Altogether, by 1905 Anoka had thirty-one operating businesses.

Among the first Postmasters in Anoka were Dr. Parchen, Fred Danker, Joe Sindler, Joel Bergstrom and Mabel Keeler. Rural mail carriers included Charlie Sinclair, who was Anoka's first, and also Art Hornback and Ray Stockwell.

Among the early pioneer settlers of Anoka were:

Charley Allison
Andrew Anderson
Jonah Bergstrom
Andrew Brood
Nels Brood
Fred Danker
John Donahue
August Erickson
Carl Erickson
August Fick
Henry Gustafson
Carl Holmquist
Al Lawson
Henry Mertz
John Nordquist
Nels Olson
Alex Peterson
Jake Thomsen
Pete Thomson
Joe Walker
Lester Walker


Material gathered by Jane Graff


Back to the cities index.

Back to the Boyd County, Nebraska Research page.