The Boyd County, Nebraska research page is proud to be part of the USGenWeb and NEGenWeb projects.
The USGenWeb project consists of a group of volunteers, working together to provide Internet websites for genealogical research in every county and every state of the United States. This project is non-commercial and fully committed to free access for everyone.
This site provides a location where new volunteers can find answers to many of the questions they have about the USGenWeb Project. Where help is needed, guidelines for county and state websites, etc. It also provides information that coordinators can review on subjects that may come up after they establish their state, county or town website. Please help out by adopting a county today!
Copyright © 2001 Pamela R. Roy
Any information found here within this page may be used freely by fellow genealogists. Any commercial use or posting of pages without consent of the author/host of these pages is prohibited.
Page Creation: July 3, 2001
Some Lutheran Churches in Anoka, Baker, Bristow, Butte, Doty, Spencer
Submitted and copyrighted © by Wade Anderson
Lutheran churches in Rosedale-Bristow and Baker, and variously Anoka and Dallas (Gregory Co. SD) were dual or tri-parishes.
Messiah Evangelical Lutheran Church (organized 13 Oct 1894, disbanded 1965) built late 1894 a 16×28' (4,9×8,5m) sod church on a high ridge off the road across the valley S of the cemetery on property, all part of the Nils & Anna Brood homestead, a northern part of which became in 1910 the Old Settler's Cemetery (Ware Twp., Sec 36 R13 T35). The sod church was nearly destroyed by fire - a blacksmith shop owner residing in the southwest corner of section 36 (NW corner of the intersection 1 mile S) was burning thistles one Sunday; Anna Brood was playing the organ which was by a window so she saw the fire and the congregation left their meeting to help put the fire out. A little mound where the sod walls settled back into the prairie might mark the location. In 1899 a 24×28' church was built by Messiah on purchased 2 acres (42ø59'26"N 098ø44'30"W) in Baker (its first frame church). The church was moved to School Dist. 52 in the NE corner of sec. 34, Ware Twp.; it was as a 2nd building and both still standing ca. 2003.
Messiah was often a joint pastorate with Rosedale Evangelical Lutheran Church (organized 14 Nov 1894, moved 1920 into Bristow itself, renamed Trinity Evangelical Lutheran in 1956). Messiah had its own pastor (1911-14), times (1920-27) with Evangelical Lutheran Bethlehem Congregation, Dallas SD (organized 03 Oct 1910, built 1913, dissolved 01 March 1952), and times (1927-) with Rosedale and Trinity Lutheran Church, Anoka (organized 17 December 1923 as a mission church of Messiah, 28 of its members joining to form Trinity; disbanded 1953 and reunited with Messiah).
Trinity Lutheran Church, Anoka
17 Dec 1923 (28 founding members):
Anderson, Ida (Kinman). (husband Frank W.; other children Maynard, Arden, Doris)
Anderson, Raymond. (son of Ida, above)
Anderson, Darold. (son of Ida, above)
Bergstrom, Inga, Mrs.
Erickson, Selma. (daughter of August)
Gustafson, Gust & Hulda.
Gustafson, Harvey & Cora. (children Elvera, Marvin, Carl, Henry)
Johnson, Albert & Amanda.
Johnson, Inez, Miss. (sister Viola Monson, below)
Johnson, Maybelle, Miss.
Kinman, Oscar & Ida. (sister Ida A., above; children Arline, Virgil)
Monson, John E. & Esther V. (Bengston) children Lowine, Luther, Donald
Monson, L. D. & Viola (Johnson).
Monson, Olof & Anna.
Monson, Olof T. & Mangna (Gustafson).
Thurstenson, Peter & Ida. (children John Josef, Anna Marie)
Tishendorf, Elmer J. & Clara (Bengston). (sister Esther Monson, above).
Rosedale Evangelical Lutheran Church, Bristow (renamed Trinity)
14 Nov 1894 (27 founding members, + 51 children):
Anderson, Albert & Jacobina Ena (Jacobson), 2 children.
Anderson, John Magnus & Eva Charlotta, & 7 children.
Bengston, Arvid & Lovisa (Janson), 7 children.
donated land, Deacon
Bengston, Charles & Bengta, 3 children.
Boman, Carl August & Christina Sofia (Tilly), 4 children.
donated land, Trustee
Jacobson, Severt & Anna.
Johnson, Salomon & Ida, 9 children. (his sister Eva C. Anderson, above)
Nord, Anders (Andrew) Persson & Mathilda (Stenberg), 4 children.
Nygren, Andrew & Matilda, 3 children.
Odlund, Charles Charley & Christina, 6 children.
Samuelson, John & Lena, 2 children.
Westerberg, Gustaf Viktor.
donated land. (brother Nels, below)
Westerberg, Nels Pete (Nils Petter) & Anna Matilda (Hager), children Edwin, Vida, Eva, Seth.
donated land, Trustee
Messiah Evangelical Lutheran Church, Baker
13 Oct 1894 (21 founding members):
Bergner, E. P. & Mrs. Trustee
Bergstrom, Jonas & Mrs. Deacon
Brood, Nils Peter. donated land
Brood, Peter. (son Nils, above)
Erickson, Carl (Charles). Deacon
Erlandson, Swan & Mrs.
Gustafson, Henry & Mrs. Secretary, Deacon
Hanson, Lars & Mrs.
Höglund, Peter O. & Mrs. Trustee
Nordquist, John Alfred
Olson, C. E.
Schill, Charles & Mrs.
Tranberg, Olof & Mrs. Trustee
Norwegian Lutheran congregations
Source: Norlie, O. M., Norske lutherske menigheter i Amerika, 1843-1916 / samlet av Pastor Olaf Morgan Norlie; med bistand av pastorerne T.O. Tolo, D. Kvaase, K. A. Kasberg [og andre]. Minneapolis, Minn.: Augsburg, 1918. 2 vols., p. 1077. Trans. Wade Anderson.
Doty Preaching Place.
Boyd Co., Neb. Norske Synod, 1885-86? Begun 1885. Ceased 1886? Pastor: P. T. Hilmen, 1884-85. 130 miles from pastor's home parsonage.
Egen Evangelical Lutheran Congregation.
Doty, Boyd Co., Neb. United Norwegian Lutheran Church 1891-1903? Organized 1891. Dissolved 1903? 41 members in 1891, 20 in 1897, 3 in 1903. Pastors: E. T. Quam, 1891-94; Edias Nielsen, 1897-03. Official in 1892: Secretary, Hege Aarhus; in 1901, Secretary, John Aaarhus.
Butte City, Boyd Co., Neb. Not affiliated with United Norwegian Lutheran Church, 1892-94? Organized August 1892. Dissolved 1894? 31 members in 1892. Pastor: E. T. Quam, 1892-94. Official in 1892: Secretary, E. Westerlund.
Spencer, Boyd Co., Neb. Not affiliated with United Norwegian Lutheran Church, 1892-94? Organized August 1892. Dissolved 1894? 43 members in 1892. Pastor: E. T. Quam, 1892-94. Official in 1892: Secretary, Jno. Andersen.
Back to the Boyd County, Nebraska Church page.
Back to the Boyd County, Nebraska Research page.