NEGenWeb Project Logo

USGenWeb Project Logo

James E. Boyd

The Boyd County, Nebraska research page is proud to be part of the USGenWeb and NEGenWeb projects.

The USGenWeb project consists of a group of volunteers, working together to provide Internet websites for genealogical research in every county and every state of the United States.  This project is non-commercial and fully committed to free access for everyone.

This site provides a location where new volunteers can find answers to many of the questions they have about the USGenWeb Project. Where help is needed, guidelines for county and state websites, etc. It also provides information that coordinators can review on subjects that may come up after they establish their state, county or town website. Please help out by adopting a county today!

Copyright 2001 Pamela R. Roy
Any information found here within this page may be used freely by fellow genealogists. Any commercial use or posting of pages without consent of the author/host of these pages is prohibited.

Page Creation: July 3, 2001


You may submit your Boyd County Obituaries for posting to this page. We can only post obituaries that are older than 1933, or where you have written permission from the newspaper to reprint/post them. You may submit an 'extract' for an obituary for current obituaries. Thank you for following these guidelines. Submit your obituaries to Connie Snyder

extract from The Oregonian, Portland, OR, November 24, 2006.

Albeke, Shirley Ann

Died: November 21, 2006, Oregon City, Oregon
Memorial service in Oregon City Evangelical church.
Born: Shirley Weeder, November 1, 1935, Bristow, Neb.
Married William "Ed" Weeder in 1943. He died in 1995.
Moved to Oregon City, Oregon in 1969
Helped run the family business, Albeke Farms.
Survivors: her sons, Douglas and Greg; daughter, Rhonda Dynneson; and five grandchildren.
Funeral home: Cochran & Waud.

Source: The Butte Gazette

Thursday, January 31, 1918

Submitted by: Joe Thurstenson

Emil was a nephew of my Grandfather, Peter Thurstenson. He came from Sweden in 1908 and lived under Peter's care upon his arrival in the USA. Emil's name is engraved on the veteran's marker in front of the Butte courthouse. We are also in possession of a number of documents of honor from various government levels including France in Emil's honor.
Also in the possession of Joe E. Thurstenson are two copies of Newspaper articles as follows: (The Butte Gazette - Thursday, January 31, 1918)

"Our Soldier at Rest"

The funeral of Boyd County's first soldier to give his life for his country took place Sunday at the Swedish church at Anoka, where Rev. Caldwell in a touching address spoke the last words of respect and farewell over the remains of Emil Anderson.

The weather was very cold, and the snow deep, but a large congregation gathered to pay the last respects. The Men's Chorus from Butte furnished the music, singing very effectively "Abide With Me", "The Boys of the Old Brigade" and "We Shall Meet But We Shall Miss Him".

Two soldiers, Arthur Ficinek and Harry Dierking acted as a guard of honor and gave a military touch to the service. The casket was buried with flowers, a particularly beautiful set piece being the "Gates Ajar" from Company F, 109th Eng. Reg. of which Emil was a member. Interment was in the Swedish Lutheran cemetery of Anoka.

Obituary (from the same article)

Emil Anderson was born in Sweden June 26th, 1887. He left that country when quite young, to seek his fortune in America, coming first to Oakland, Nebraska, and afterward to Boyd county where he made his home with his uncle, Peter Thurstenson and working for neighboring farmers. When the draft call came last June, Emil was the third man called from Boyd county. Hardly had he heard the news until he went to Norfolk, and enlisted in the "Dandy Sixth" Nebraska, remaining a member of that regiment until it was broken up. The date of his enlistmnt was July 31st, 1917. He was a faithful soldier, winning universal respect, from officers and comrades in arms. He died January 20th, of pneumonia, aged 30 years and 7 months.

Only two relatives are in the United States, Mr. Peter Thurstenson, an uncle, at Anoka and Mrs. J. Rundquist, of Oakland, an Aunt. His agaed mother lives in Sweden. Mr. and Mrs. Thurstenson were the only relatives present at the funeral.

Sleep on, our soldier dead,
   To you was duty all;
May we as willing, ready be,
   When we receive the call.

Sleep on, our soldier dead,
   You'd but your life to give,
In giving, you have life received.
   And shall forever live.

Card of Thanks.

We wish to extend our sincere thanks to the Red Cross societies of Butte and Anoka, and also to the friends and neighbors who so kindly assisted in the burial of our beloved nephew, Emil Anderson.

          Peter Thurstenson and Family

Source: Butte Gazette

COLEMAN, Mrs. Michael
Submitted by: Sandy Dempsey

Mrs. Michael Coleman(Alice) passed away Sunday, December 20th, at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lott Hull, in Butte, after a lingering illness of several weeks, during which time she grew gradually weaker and weaker until the end came.

Mrs. Coleman has made her home in and near Butte for a number of years and has many friends her who will greatly miss her.

Mrs. Coleman had been a resident of Boyd county since she came here from Holt county in 1891 and to a homestead, five miles southeast of Butte. She was a charter member and one of the organizers of the local W.R.C. organization and has been ever faithful to the order and has survived all but a few of the older members.

Funeral services were conducted from the Methodist church Tuesday afternoon at 2 o'clock, with Rev. Edward Magill officiating and Rev. W. Dean Benham of Spencer assisting.

Interment was in the Butte cemetery.

Alice Smith was born in Troy, New York, October 18, 1842, and passed away at the home of her daughter, Mrs. Lott Hull in Butte, Dec. 20, 1925, at the age of 83 yrs, 3 months and 2 days.

She moved with her parents to Racine, Wisconsin in 1848 and was married to Michael Coleman at that place in 1862. Her husband passed away in 1888.

To this union were born four sons and two daughters, Will of Spencer, Tom of Gregory, Mrs. Lott Hull, Albert and Mrs. Joe Pfeiffer of Butte and Ernie of Spencer. All were at her bedside at the time of her death.

Together with these, she leaved to mourn her passing, twenty-seven grandchildren and five great grandchildren and a host of friends.

Source: Butte Gazette

Submitted by: Sandy Dempsey

Friday, December 7th, 1900, Mrs. Ann Mariah Critchfield, wife of Calvin Critchfield died. She was born in Belmont Co. Ohio, Aug. 26, 1837. In 1855 she moved with her parents to Indiana where she was married to Calvin on June 6th, 1858. In 1886 they moved to Holt Co. Nebr. and in 1889 came to the Indian Reservation which is now Boyd Co.

She was the mother of twelve children. Seven children, three daughters and four sons and the husband followed her remains to their last resting place, in the Butte cemetery.

Grandma Critchfield, as she was familiarly known, was a woman held in high esteem by all who knew her, and the sympathy of the entire community goes out to the bereaved family.

Source: The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas


Raymond "Ray" Vance Cunningham, 75, from Bella Vista. Born April 26, 1926, in Naper, Boyd Co. Neb., to Carl L. Cunningham and Stella Vance Cunningham. Died Thursday, May 3, 2001, at St. Mary's Hospital in Rogers.

Source: Butte Gazette
January 28, 1937

Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

Early Homesteader Dies of Heart Attack
Byard Edwards, 84, Taken Tuesday Afternoon While Cleaning Steps

Byard Edwards, one of the early homesteaders of Boyd county, passed away shortly after noon Tuesday from a heart attack.

Mr. Edwards had gone out to clear the ice off the steps to the house, and a few minutes later, Mrs. Edwards heard him give a cry and looked out to see him lying there. Being there alone and unable to get assistance, she rolled him onto a rug and was then able to pull the rug into the house.

Help was then summoned and the remains taken to Butte. On account of the road conditions, it was necessary to make much of the trip by team and wagon.

Mr. Edwards homesteaded on the place, southeast of Butte, about fifty years ago, and has lived there continuously since that time. Coming to town nearly every week, always making the trip by team, he enjoyed his time in town visiting with friends, and was always cheerful and happy, spreading a feeling of cheer wherever he went.

Although unable to get to town to take any especially active interest in church work, he was a devout Christian and had expressed himself as being ready to go whenever his summons came, but also stated he was enjoying himself very much in this world.

He is survived by his wife, two sons, Cecil of Scribner and Byard Jr. of Iowa, and two daughters Nellie of Miles City, Mont., and Lucy of Akron, Ohio.

Funeral services were held today (Thursday) from the Butte Community Church, Rev. Max R. Kronquest officiating, and interment was made in the Butte cemetery.


Services Held Thursday For Byard Edwards
Butte Gazette
February 2, 1937

Byard Edwards was born in the state of Delaware on September 12, 1854, and passed away at his farm home near Butte, January 26th, 1937, at the age of 82 years, 4 months and 13 days.

He spent his early boyhood near Philadelphia, Pa, and about 1869, moved with his parents to Bloomington, Illinois. From there he came on westward to South Dakota and then to Nebraska in 1889.

Boyd county was not organized at that time and Mr. Edwards traded for a squatter's right from the Indian Chief Swift Bear, which land he later homesteaded and there he remained until called to his eternal home.

He was married to Lydia Blodgett on May 15, 1892, and to this union were born five children: Byard D. of Grinnell, Iowa, Mrs. Nellie Rife of Miles City, Mont., Lydia Ruth, who passed away at the age of two years, Mrs. J. W. Long of New Platz, New York, and Cecil E. of Scribner, Nebr.

He became a member of the Congregational church of Butte in 1922.

He was a man of sterling qualities and will be greatly missed by his many friends. He was a pioneer, of the industrious and frugal type, who laid a sure and firm foundation for future progress and his part in the establishment of Boyd county will ever be remembered.

Those to mourn his loss are a widow, two sons, two daughters, ten grand-children, a sister, Mrs. Clara Gordon and a brother, James, both of Waterville, Kansas, besides other relatives and a host of friends.

"Sometime we shall lay down the tools with which we labor through the weary day; sometime the Master Building, passing by, will look upon our work and say 'It is enough - thy work is done' - and we shall rest."

Funeral services were conducted last Thursday afternoon from the Butte Community church, with Rev. Max R. Kronquest officiating. Interment was made in the Butte cemetery.

Source: Butte Gazette
?January 2, 1947

EDWARDS, Clara Ella
Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

Butte Resident Dies At Age of 81 Years

Funeral services were conducted for Mrs. John D. Edwards of Butte Community church with Rev. Ward Smith in charge.

Pallbearers were Chas. Lewis, John Fuhrer, Earl Reiser, Walt Counts, Dan Reiser and Harold Fuhrer. Burial was made in the Butte Cemetery.

Clara Ella McGinnes was born to William and Amanda McGinnes at Pekin, Illinois, March 1, 1865. She departed from this life at 5:30 a.m. December 24, 1946. The Lord graciously allowed her more than the allotted three score and ten years. She was 81 years, 9 months and 23 days of age when her summons came.

For the first few years of her life she lived with her parents in Illinois, in early youth she came to Greenleaf, Kansas, where her family settled on a homestead. On March 1st, 1883 she was united in marriage to John V. Edwards. They made their home in Kansas until 1893 when they moved to Boyd County, Nebraska. Here they made their permanent home. Five children were born into this home. Two of them Betty Hiserote and Ida Hiserote preceded their mother in death. The father was taken in 1924.

Recent failing health made it necessary for her to accept the ministrations of others. She was a patient sufferer, thankful for all that was done for her. Death came at the home of her son Frank of Ainsworth, Nebr.

She leaves behind three sons: Wm. Thomas Edwards of So. Sioux City, Nebr., G. F. Edwards of Ainsworth, Nebr., and M. J. Edwards of O'Neill, Nebr., one sister Mrs. Mary Edwards of Butte, and several grandchildren, great-grandchildren and other relatives as well as many friends to mourn her passing.

Source: Butte Gazette
September 18, 1924

Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

On Sunday evening, September 14, (1924) as the sun was gilding with gold the western sky the sands of life were run for one of Boyd County's early settlers. John V. Edwards, son of T. H. (J. H.) and Priscilla D. Edwards was born August 18, 1858, at Anvil, Pa. At the age of 18 his parents moved to Illinois and seven years later to Kansas.

He was married March 1883 to Miss Clara E. McGinnis. The call of Nebraska was heard and in 1893 with his wife and four children the homestead on the river was taken, and the task of making the unbroken prairie into fertile fields was begun, and a home that was to shelter them for the remainder of his active life, was established.

A man of rugged health and ready to meet with difficulties that might arise in the new home, he with his faithful companion who kept step with him thru all the years toiled, and together they enjoyed something of the fruits of honest labor; and when the time came that he could no longer serve, for sickness was upon him, her patient and tender ministery gave him comfort to the end.

Surrounded by his children he quietly slipped over the bourne from whence no traveler returns. Besides his wife and four children (one preceded him five years ago) also nineteen (likely grandchildren) he leaves to mourn his death three brothers and one sister.

Funeral services were held in Butte, Wednesday afternoon. Gathered there with the family were those who had been associated with him down through the years as friend and neighbors. Rev. DeBenham of Spencer, assisted by the choir of the Congregational Church of which Mr. Edwards was amember had charge of the service.

Source: Butte Gazette
February 20, 1930

Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

Joseph Edwards

Surely, "the headstones thicken along the way" bearing the name of the men and women who will ever be associated with the development of Boyd county. The grim reaper has cut deep into their ranks of late. The passing of Joseph Edwards is now added to the great and silent majority, and his name a memory to those who have been associated with him. Born in Chester county, Penn., Jan. 22, 1856, a stretch of country noted for its beauty and fertility; a place of historic value known to every American schoolboy. Amid these scenes along the Brandywine he spent his childhood and youth. The family moved to Illinois when he was in his late teens, locating near Bloomington. Later they turned westward to Kansas. He was married in Washington county, Kas., to Mary MacGannes (McGinnes), Jan. 22, 1883. They came north to Boyd county in 1890. With Mr. and Mrs. Joe Edwards and their small children were his father and mother, and brother Byard. The new settlers in due time filed on land west of Spencer and later two brothers came also and took up land near to those who were already located there.

Mr. Edwards and his wife experienced all the joys and sorrows, the lean years and others that brot abundant harvest of the pioneer and later days. Strong of body was he. Kindly of heart, and ever ready to give a lift to those along the way in need of a helping hand. Such have ever been the outstanding characteristics of pioneers and governed their conduct with their fellows.

To M. and Mrs. Edwards were born six children. One daughter predeceased her father, the other Mrs. Bowers, lives in Springview, Nebr. There are four sons, James and Charles who lives in South Dakota and William and Ira who live near the old homestead. There are 16 grandchildren. Besides his companion and the family mentioned, one brother and sister in Kansas, Byrd (Byard), on the river, and a host of friends will miss him. An affliction of many years standing sapped his strength and became serious a few weeks ago. Suffering intensely, but bravely, and conscious almost to the last, he passed away Saturday, February 16th, aged 74 years and few days. Funeral services were conducted by the Rev. W. DeBenham at the Cong's church in Butte, Monday, Feb. 17th, and burial at the Butte cemetery. There was a large number of people attended the rites and the flowers were beautiful. Sympathy is extended the surviving relatives.

Source: Butte Gazette
April 9, 1897

EDWARDS, Joseph H., Sr.
Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

Joseph H. Edwards, Sr., died at his home five miles southeast of Butte, on Monday April 5th, 1897. The immediate cause was a stroke, of paralysis, received March 10th last.

Mr. Edwards was born in Penn., July 11, 1820. He was married to Pricilla D. Bartley, Oct. 26th, 1848. His wife survives to mourn the loss. To this union were born two daughters and four sons. The daughters are married and live in Kansas; the sons and their families live near the homestead of their parents.

Mr. Edwards was one of the earliest settlers of Boyd county, having emigrated from Kansas in 1892 (1890). Although at that time having passed his three-score and ten years yet he possessed the vitality necessary for pioneer life. He bought his log house from the Indians and took up his abode in their midst.

He was respected by the Indians, at that time, as he has since been by the white settlers.

Mr. Edwards was converted at meetings held in the school house near his home one year ago last March. He since became a member of the Congregational church at butte, and has served as Deacon in the church.

The funeral was held at the Cong. church April 6th 1897 at 2 P.M. A large concourse of friends and neighbors went in procession to the cemetery to witness the burial.

The family loses an affectionate husband and father; the church a devoted member; the county a respected citizen.

Our temporal loss is his eternal gain.

W. A. Hensel, Pastor

Source: Butte Gazette
issue date unknown

Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

Rites Wednesday For Fomer Butte Lady

Funeral Services were held Wednesday afternoon at the Butte Community Church for Mrs. Byard Edwards with Rev. Hovda in charge. Burial was made in the Butte Cemetery.

Mrs. Edwards was one of the early day settlers of the community and made her home on a farm near Butte and until 1937 when her husband passed away and she left to make her home with a daughter in Miles City, Montana.

Lydia Edwards, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. Daniel Blodget was born Nov. 14, 1875 at Minonk, Ill, and passed away at the home of her daughter Nellie in Miles City, Mont., on Nov. 12, 1950. She was united in marriage to Byard Edwards, May 15, 1892 at Butte, Nebr., where they resided on a farm until Mr. Edwards death in 1937.

To this union were born five children one passing away in infancy. Those surviving are two sons and two daughters, Byard D. Edwards of Grinnel, Iowa, Cecil E. Edwards of Scribner, Nebr., Nellie Mae Kife (Rife) of Miles City, Mont., Lucy A. Long of Freeport, Long Island, New York. Also left to mourn her passing are one sister of Chillicothe, Ill., thirteen grandchildren and two great grandchildren besides a host of friends.

Since the death of her husband in 1937 she has made her home with her daughter in Miles City, Mont.

Mr. and Mrs. Edwards were among the pioneer settlers of Boyd County and were widely known as they were familiar people in Butte, Nebr. They were kind and benevolent people, always willing to aid and assist anyone in trouble. Mrs. Edwards will not only be greatly missed by the surviving but also by a host of friends and former neighbors.

Out of town people at Edwards funeral were: Mrs. Nellie Refe of Miles City, Mon., Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Edwards and sons, manus, Dennis and Donald of Scribner, Nebr., Mr. Byard Edwards of Griennell, Iowa, Mr. and Mrs. Ira Edwards of Omaha, Nebr., Mr. and Mrs. James Edwards of Dallas, S. Dak., Chas. A. Edwards of Winner, S. Dak., Mr. and Mrs. F. W. Horst, Joan and Shirley of White Lake, S. Dak., Mrs. Addie Cunningham of Colome, S. Dakl, Mrs. and Mrs. Woolheiser of Colome, S. Dak., Mr. and Mrs. C. Drickey of Bristow, Nebr.

Source: Butte Gazette
? date of publication (Thursday was Christmas)

Submitted by: Luann Ouellette


Mary McGinnes was born in Pekin, Ill., January 25, 1862 and passed away December 24, 1952, at the age of 90 years, 10 months, and 29 days.

She immigrated to Kansas with her parents as a child where she grew to womanhood.

She was married to Joseph Edwards on January 22, 1883 at Washington, Kansas, where they lived until the spring of 1890.

Her husband preceded her in death in 1930, also one child, Cora died in infancy.

She leaves to mourn her passing, four sons, James R. of Dallas, S. Dak., Charles A. of Winner, S. Dak., William J. of Butte, Nebr., Ira B. of Omaha; a daughter, Mary Esther Bower of Palouse, Wash,; also 18 grandchildren, 24 great grandchildren and three great, great grandchildren.

Source: Butte Gazette
?1 January 1931 issue

Last Rites Held For Mrs. Mary Edwards

Funeral services were held at the Butte Community church on Saturday, December 27 for Mrs. Mary Edwards of Butte. Rev. L. M. Hovda, officiating.

Marlene Walth, Mary Ann Raymer, and Beverly Dix accompanied by Mrs. C. J. Tomek furnished the music.

Pallbearers were John Stucker of Gregory, S. Dak., Wayne Edwards of Johntown, Allen Edwards of Dallas, S. Dak., Howard Edwards of Omaha, Alton Edwards of Ideal, S. Dak., Max Davis of Omaha.

Burial was made in the Butte cemetery.

Source: Butte Gazette
26 December 1902

EDWARDS, Priscilla
Submitted by: Luann Ouellette


Mrs. Edwards, mother of the Edwards boys on the Niobrara, died the first of the week and was buried in the Butte cemetery Tuesday. Although the day was one of extreme cold quite a number attended the funeral.

Source: Butte Gazette
July 26, 1934

FUHRER, Christian
Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

Heart Attack Fatal to Chris Fuhrer
Quietly Succumbs While Sleeping at His Home Saturday Morning

Funeral services were held Monday at the Butte Congregational church for Christian Fuhrer, who passed away on Saturday of last week (July 21st).

While on his way home from town, he had apparently been overcome by heat and had left his team, and started to walk, carrying some bundles he had with him. The bundles had dropped along the way, one by one, and finally he had fallen, overcome probably by the exertion.

Medical attention was given as soon as he was found. Death was caused by heat and heart failure according to the examination.

He was born in Worms, South Russia, in 1862. He was united in marriage to Elizabeth Scherer in 1880. To this union 11 children were born, one preceding the parents in death.

He moved to America in 1885. His wife passed away in 1908.

He was married a second time, to Katherine Weissert (Weisser), nee Hoffer, and to this union five children were born. Mrs. Fuehrer passed away, June 9, 1925.

He was 72 years, 10 months and 27 days of age. For many years he had lived on a farm near the Niobrara river, southeast of Butte, and was a familiar figure throughout the community.

He was always cheerful with a ready greeting for everyone, and he had no enemies among his large acquaintanceship.

He is survived by twelve children, William, John, Henry, Richard, Harold, Edward, Arthur, Reuben, Clara, Sarah, Effie Edwards and Emma, one sister in North Dakota, and a number of other relatives and friends.

Rev. Albert W. Swanson was in charge of the funeral services.

Source: The Argus Observer
Ontario OR

FUHRER, Edward
Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

Edward Fuhrer

Edward Fuhrer, 97, Ontario, passed away Thursday, March 10, 2005. Graveside services will be held at 11 a.m., Wednesday, March 16, 2005, at Evergreen Cemetery. A visitation will be held from 9 a.m. to 10 a.m., Wednesday, March 16, 2005, at Haren-Wood Funeral Chapel. Services under the direction of the Haren-Wood Funeral Chapel, Ontario.

Source: Translated from Dakota Freie Presse, Yankton SD
April 2, 1908 issue

FUHRER, Elizabeth Scheerer
Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

"Out of Nebraska"
Butte, Boyd County, March 23, 1908

On March 20, Elizabeth (born Scheerer), the wife of Mr. Christian Fuhrer, died at the age of 46. The burial took place on the 22nd presided over by Pastor Rorach of Fairfax and with a very large number in attendance. As the (funeral) procession neared the town, the bells rang from the Congregational Church, where the service was actually held, as the German church was too small for all the mourners.

The deceased was born in 1862 in the Worms Colony in southern Russia, and (was) wedded in 1884 to her now grieving husband, with whom she immigrated in 1885 to America.

The marriage produced 11 children, of whom two preceded their mother in death. Seven sons and two daughters from age 4 weeks to 20 years old now mourn the death of their mother.

Source: Butte Gazette
Butte, Boyd County, Nebraska
Thursday, May 29, 1930

Submitted by: Luann Ouellette


   John Fuhrer passed away last Sunday morning, May 25, and was laid to rest Monday afternoon. Rev. Mr. Becker, pastor of the German Congregational churches of Butte and Fairfax, conducted the services, which were held from the Congregational church here. Interment was made in the Butte cemetery.

   Mr. Fuhrer came to this community from Sutton, about fifteen years ago, and since that time has resided on his farm northwest of Butte.

   Until recently when he has been confined to his home because of ill health, he was a familiar figure on the streets, always friendly and always looking on the bright side of life.

   He will be missed from the community and we will join with the relatives in mourning the loss.

   In this hour of deepest sorrow his loved ones are comforted and cheered by the knowledge that Mr. Fuhrer was a staunch believer of the faith of the Author and Finisher of all things.



   John Fuhrer was born on August 13, 1853, in Worms, County of Odessa, Russia, and passed away at his home near Butte early Sunday morning, May 25, 1930, at the age of 76 years, 9 months and 12 days.

   In 1874 he came to America, his adopted land, to which he has been a faithful citizen. He settled at Sutton, Nebraska.

   In 1879 he was united in marriage to Miss Christina Serr, and to this union two daughters, Sophie and Pauline, were born.

   On November 20, 1891, his wife was called from this earthly life to the great hereafter.

   He was married again on March 6, 1892, and to this union were born three sons, Herbert, Richard and Edgar, and one daughter, Dorothy Edna, who passed away in infancy.

   In 1915, he moved his family to Boyd county, settled on a farm west of Butte, where he labored and tilled the soil, and was a good neighbor and a friend to all.

   In his youth he sought the Lord and was converted. He kept his faith throughout his life and of him can truly be said "I have fought a good fight. I have finished my course. I have kept the faith, henceforth there is laid up for me a crown of righteousness the Judge shall give me at that day."

   In his lifetime he showed keen interest n church work, both at Sutton and Butte. For a number of years, he was secretary and chair man and held the confidence of all his co-workers.

   His wife preceeded him in death a few months, passing away on January 11, 1930. Since that time he has carried his grief silently and has expressed a desire to be with his Savior.

   He leaves to mourn his death two brothers, one of Butte and one in Russia, three sisters, one at Sealand, N.D., one in Beiseker, Alberta, Canada, and one in Russia, two daughters, Mrs. Jake Ullmer of Fullerton, N.D. and Mrs. Chris Serr of Jamison, three sons, Herbert, Richard and Edgar, all of Butte, and nineteen grandchildren.


Card of Thanks
   By this method we wish to thank all who came to our aid and comfort during the sickness and death of our beloved father.

     Herbert Fuhrer
     Mr. and Mrs. Richard Fuhrer
     Mr. and Mrs. Ed Fuhrer
     Mr. and Mrs. Jake Ullmer
     Mr. and Mrs. Chris Serr

Source: Butte Gazette
June 11, 1925

FUHRER, Katherine Hoffer
Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

Mrs. C. Fuhrer Dies in Omaha

Katherine Hoffer was born in Russia, January 15, 1871. She came to this country at the age of six years with her parents and located at Menno, South Dakota, afterwards moving to Butte, where she was united in marriage to Chris Wasser (Weisser). Four children were born to this union, namely: Ben of Avon, S. D.; Martin of White Lake, S. D.; Mrs. John Wynia of Springfield, S. D. (Fred's name and address was omitted). Later Mr. Wasser died.

She was married to Crist Fuhrer on November 1, 1909. To them were born five children: Arthur, Reuben, Clara, Sarah, and Emil, who died in infancy.

Mrs. Fuhrer had been in poor health for several years, and on June 1st was taken to the St. Joseph Hospital at Omaha for an operation. She was unable to overcome it and passed away on Sunday, June 7th. Her husband was at the bedside when the end came. She was conscious to the end.

She leaves to mourn, her husband, eight children, nine step-children, two sisters and two brothers. The sisters are: Christina Fink, Wessington Springs, S. D.; Elizabeth Wettmeyer, Tyndall, S. D. The brothers are: John Hoffer, Fairfax, S. D.; Fred Hoffer, Lodea, Calif. All were her to attend the funeral except the latter.

Funeral services were held this afternoon at 2 o'clock from the Congregational church at Butte, of which she was a member. The Rev. John Sattler of Tyndall, S. D. and Rev. R. L. Cosand, pastor of the above named church conducted the services.

Those from a distance who attend the funeral were: Mrs. Chas. Edwards of Colome, S. D.; Leo and Will Fuhrer of Winner, S. D. and the deceased's sister-in-law, Ruth Carter of Hammill.

Butte, Boyd County, Nebraska
January 16, 1930
Obituary from NSHS archives

FUHRER, Katherine Perlenfein
Submitted by: Luann Ouellette


Katherine Perlenfein was born in Rohrbach, Odessa, South Russia, on February 10, 1861. She came to the United States on October 6, 1884, making her home in Sutton, Nebraska.

On March 6, 1892, she was united in marriage with John Fuhrer, and to this union four children were born, Edna Dorothy, who died in infancy, Herbert, Richard, and Edgar. The family moved to Butte in 1915, and she had made her home near here since then.

She was sick but a short time with an attack of pneumonia, when the final summons came on last Saturday at the age of 69 years, 11 months, and one day. She was a kind and loving wife and mother and had been a consistent worker in the German Congregational church ever since her conversion at the age of nineteen.

Funeral services were held Monday at the Congregational church here, conducted by Rev. Mose of Gregory, assisted by Rev. Richardson. Interment was made in the Butte cemetery.

She leaves to mourn their loss, her husband and three sons, two stepdaughters, Mrs. Sophia Ulmer of Fullerton N.D. and Mrs. Paulina Serr of Naper, eighteen grandchildren, one brother, Jake of Wishek N.D., three sisters, Mrs. Roth of Sutton, Mrs. Zimbleman of Hazel, N.D., and Barbara in Russia, and a host of friends.

Card of Thanks

We wish to thank the many friends and neighbors for their kindnesses shown us during the sickness and death of our loved one.

John Fuhrer
Herbert Fuhrer
Mr. and Mrs. Richard Fuhrer and Family
Mr. and Mrs. Edgar Fuhrer
Mr. and Mrs. J. H. Ulmer
Mr. and Mrs. Chris Serr

Source: The Advertiser

GILSON, Jessie Belle
Submitted by: Cindy Turner

Died, at Naper, Nebr. at 12:30 p.m. Saturday, February 11th 1911, Jessie Belle Gilson, aged thirty-two years, one month and two days.

Jessie Belle Melendy was born January 9, 1879 at Fremont, Ind. In 1884 she removed with her parents to Nebraska and in 1892 the family homesteaded a quarter of land one mile north and four miles west of Naper. She was married to Fred D. Gilson at Butte, Neb. on November 14-1900. Two little daughters, her husband, and two brothers are left to mourn her loss.

Mrs. Gilson had been a patient sufferer from chronic rheumatism and an invalid for a number of years. About three weeks ago she suffered an attack of pneumonia, which, with complications, resulted in her death.

Funeral services were held in the Naper Congregational church on Sunday afternoon, February 12th, Rev. Wm. Davies officiating and interment made in the Naper cemetery.

The Advertiser extends the heartfelt sympathy of the entire community to the bereaved family.

Card of Thanks
To the many friends and kind neighbors who so willingly assisted during the last illness and death of our beloved daughter and loving wife we wish to express our heartfelt appreciation.

Mrs. C.A. Melendy
Fred D. Gilson       

extract from The Oregonian, Portland, OR, Sunday, June 3, 2007.


Friday, June 01, 2007
The Oregonian

died May 29 at age 93 born Nov. 10, 1913, in Lynch, Neb
World War II, Army in the Philippines
moved to Gaston in 1948, and in 1954 to McMinnville
millworker for U.S. Plywood
assembly worker for Rex Mobile Home for more than 21 years
survivors: nephew, James
memorial service Tuesday, June 5, 2007, in the new building of Rock of Ages Mennonite Home in McMinnville

Extract from The Los Angeles Times, page B11; Tues. 6 Feb 2007
The LA Times has a website, but the obituaries are only archived for 30 days. Contact the newspaper for copies.

HORST, Paul Benjamin, - 94

born Nov. 13, 1912 in Butte, NE.
died Jan. 30 2008 in Whittier, CA.
family moved to South Dakota and he was raised with ten other children on a farm.
four years as a master Sergeant (7th AAF)
then moved to California
married Ruth Groscop (1913-1998)
continued with the retail merchandising and clothing industry until retiring in 1981
survied by son David, sisters Lydia Hahn (Stanley) and Esther Chapin (Howard), and many nieces and nephews.
services at the Sky Rose Chapel at Rose Hills, 3888 Workman Mill Rd., Whittier, CA

Source: The

KOZA, Agnes

Agnes A. Koza, 92, of Norfolk died Monday, Jan. 12, 1998, at Heritage of Bel Air Nursing Home in Norfolk.

Services will be at 10:30 a.m. Thursday at Sacred Heart Catholic Church in Norfolk. The Rev. Joseph Taphorn will officiate. Burial will be in Hillcrest Memorial Park Cemetery.

Johnson-Stonacek Funeral Chapel in Norfolk is in charge of arrangements.

Mrs. Koza was born on March 2, 1905, at Monowi to Joseph and Anna Riha.

She married Wilmer Elstermeier in 1935 at Grand Island. He died on Aug. 6, 1951.

She married Ben Koza in 1964 at Yankton, S.D. He died on Dec. 31, 1995. She sold Avon products in the Norfolk area for 25 years. She also co-owned and operated Koza's Market in Norfolk.

She was a member of Sacred Heart/St. Mary's Catholic Church in Norfolk.

Survivors include one brother, Frank Riha of Omaha.

In addition to her husband, she also was preceded in death by a son, Wilmer Elstermeier; four sisters and two brothers.

Source: The Lynch Journal newspaper (no date given)


Mrs. Anna Kukal died Sunday morning at their home in the south part of town after a lingering illness from old age, being 78 years old.

Most of her children, who are well scattered over the country were present with her at the last and attended the funeral which was held Monday afternoon from the home and interment made in the Z.C.B.J. cemetery in east Lynch.

Mrs. Kukal was born in Konarovice, Austria (Bohemia) and was married to Frank Kukal shortly before they left that country for America some thirty years ago. They at once located in Nebraska and have made this state their home since. Eleven children were born to them, seven of whom are living and six were present at the funeral: Charles of Omaha, Nebr., John of Bolivar, Mo., Mrs. Mary Ewing of Niobrara, Nebr., Joe, of Kadoka, S. D., Miss Christina of Minnesota and Frank of Lynch. Another daughter, Mrs. Anna Baily's present address is not known. Mrs. Kukal has lived near and in Lynch for some years and has many friends here among the old settlers. As she seldom left her home and did not make new acquaintences with new people. The family have the sympathy of all in their sorrow.

We wish to offer our sincere thanks to the kind freinds and neighbors who so kindly assisted us during the recent sickness and death of our beloved wife and mother. Frank Kukal and family.


LESLIE, Lucia Augusta Pearsall
Submitted by: Lorraine Besmer

Lucia Augusta Pearsall was born near Belvidere, Illinois on June 18, 1845 and died at Naper, Nebraska on November 28, 1903.

The above notice announces the passing away of one of the best and noblest women it has ever been the writers pleasure to know.

She had enjoyed good health until 1900, when she became troubled with spinalese tumor. She consulted various good physicians without securing relief and then tried electric treatment at Lynch. It failed, and she underwent an operation at Lynch, by Dr. Salter of Norfold, Neraska, to whom she had reccommended at one of the foremost specialists in this line of surgery in the west. The relief experienced from this operation was of but a few month's duration and she again underwent an operation at Norfolk, Nebraska, by Dr. Salter after which she went to Denver, Colorado for treatment, securing the service of one of the best surgeons in the west, receiving as before -- temporary relief but no permanent cure. She then tried absorption treatment by Dr. Macumber at Norfolk, but this, as did others, proved unsuccessful, and as a final resort the x-ray treatment, which has worked so many and marvelous cures of diseases of this class, was tried at Naper, Nebraska under the supervision of Dr. Zimmerman. But nothing that human intelligence and skillful surgeons could do, availed naught, and as a last resort, with death in any event, but sure unless relief came soon, a third operation was performed Thanksgiving Day by Dr. Salter at Naper. She lived two days, but heart failure, occasioned by the necessary administration of cholform, together with weakening infuences of the turmor and her inability to eat, drink, or sleep ensured and from their combined effects she could not rally.

She suffered the most excruciating pain, pain not possible to depict in words. Long, weary and merciless years of anguish, misery and dread, relief in each case only temporary, was always accompanied by the agony and apprehension of the return of this terrible suffering. Pain that untimately permitted not even the blessed respite of sleep nor the necessary eating of food, except as exhaustion required it to sustain the fluttering life.

Her courage was marvelous. With an almost certain doom upon her, when every hope seemed hopeless and earthly aid futile, when even the seal of death had fastened to her and dimmed her eyes with its shadow, her courage faltered not. Faith and hope sustained her, love upheld and strengthened her, love for those sons whom God had given her and with whom it was her greatest pleasure to be, to whom in life she had given unsparingly a mother's love, devotion and tender care. True, as oft times is with even the bravest heart, she would break down and weep, not from any physical pain or fear but because of the anguish of parting from those she loved was greater than she could bear. But always, with a courage that knew no surrender, with hope and faith, upon one elbow, and with a look never to be forgotten by those that saw her, she asked those at her bedside if she was dying. Although fearing she was, to have any excitement in her weakened condition they answered "no". She answered, "Well I am," and again in a moment.."Well. it's allright, I am ready to die.", she laid back, but shortly raised up again, saying, "Oh, my mother you are here; this is just fine." These were her last words. Her voice indicated peace, joy, and contentment beyond human comprehension. Her breath grew gradually less --- then ceased, the film of death covered her eyes, she was gone.

Another sainted mother passed. Kind, loving, tender, compassionate and pure, you comparatively still, who had lived her life in God's appointed way, filled her mission upon earth and passed to her great reward. It was the writer's blessed prividege to know much of this mother, to be in her home and to feel the wrmth and breadth of her sympathy, and to know the bearty of her character and daily life. She was always kind, cheeful and neighborly. As a girl she was bery beautiful of feather and form. and in her last years retained still that beauty. Her face portrayed her nobility of character and purity of thought, her loftiness of mind and gentleness of disposition. She was a friend of all. Cherishing no bitterness, allowing not hatred nor strife to cloud or mar her life, her disposition remained kind, compassionate and loving in all things. We cherish her memory and the thoughts of her goodness to us all in in fond recollection and rememberance, we bid her adiue, and live in the hope that she, her loved ones, and all may meet where parting comes no more, where pain and sorrow come not, where the love of God beautifies and blesses, and where we live in peach and happiness forevermore.

Mrs. Leslie was the youngest daughter of Horace and Lavinia Pearsall. Her oldest brother died of disease contracted in the Mexican War and her twin brother, Lucius was killed at the siege of Vicksburg in the Civil War. Her father was a minister of the Methodist church and she embraced the same faith early in life and remained at her death a consistent and worthy member of that organization.

Her parents moved to Iowa in 1853 and settled near Independence, Buchanan County. Her primary education was received at a home school and finished at the Ladies Seminary of Epworth, near Dubuque, Iowa.

She was united in marrige to Samuel Leslie at Independence, Iowa, January 6, 1864. To this union nine children were born, six boys and three girls, of which the three latter were the youngest. Two of the girls, Clara Golden and Mary Lavinia died in infancy in Iowa, and Jennie aged 15 and who was born in Nebraska died Mary 28, 1899, near Spencer, Nebraska. The sons all survive her. She moved with her huband and family to Turtle Creek, Holt County, in 1880 where she passed the years until 1892, when she moved to Boyd County on a farm three miles southwest of Spencer, Nebraska. Her husband died in 1894 at their home near here.

She moved with her sons to the Rosebud Indian Reservation in 1902 and remained there until continued illness required her nearness to a doctor's aid and she moved to Naper, Nebraska in 1903 where she passed away on November 38th last. (1903). She was buried beside her husband, daughter and grandchild in Spencer Cemetery, November 30, 1903. Services were held at Naper at 8:00 a.m. on the above date at which all surviving children of her family, the six sons were present. The beautiful service was conducted at 3:00 p.m. by Rev. Issacs of Spencer, at the Congregation Church. At the same time occurred the services and burial of her granddaughter, Lucia Lenore Leslie, whose obituary will be published next week. They were laid to rest in the family plot in the Spencer Cemetery. Kind folks and friends both at Naper and Spencer lent noble assistance and sympathy during the illness, death and burial of these loved ones and this will always be warmly cherished by the bereaved relatives.

A friend

Additional notes: Lucia Lenore Leslie was the daughter of Lucius Leslie and Arvlla Harriman Leslie. She died of cancer of the eye. She also was treated by Dr. Zimmerman of Naper, Nebraska. She died the same day as her grandmother, Lucia Augusta Leslie.

The sons were Sheridan Pearsall Leslie, Karl L. Leslie, John J. Leslie, George Leslie, Lucius L. Leslie and Willis Ernest Leslie.

When she moved to the Rosebud Indian Reservation, this later was Gregory County. SD

Source: Butte Gazette

Submitted by: Sandy Dempsey

Oct. 8, 1908

Word comes to us stating that Calvin Richfield died at his home near Casvill, Mo. and was buried at that place. He was the father of Mrs. Wm.(Amanda) Coleman and Mike Critchfield.

Source: Butte Gazette
December 21, 1914

SCHERER, Elizabeth Horst
Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

South of Butte

The funeral of Mrs. Ludwig Scherer who died Thursday night (December 14, 1914) was held Saturday afternoon and was well attended.

Source: Butte Gazette
March 23, 1933

Submitted by: Luann Ouellette

40-Year Resident Claimed by Death
Ludwig Scherer, Butte, Dies in Hospital After Lingering Illness

Ludwig Scherer, a resident of Butte and this community for the past forty years, passed away Saturday, after having been in failing health for some time.

His condition became considerably worse a short time before his death, and he was taken to a Spencer hospital for treatment, and it was there that he passed away.

He was born on September 26, 1852 at Worms in South Russia and passed away on March 18, 1933, at the age of eighty years, five months and twenty-two days.

In 1873 he was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Horst, and to this union were born twelve children, ten girls and two boys.

They moved to America in 1884, and located at Sutton, Nebraska. After spending nine years there, they moved to Boyd county in 1893, locating on a homestead southeast of Butte.

His beloved companion passed away here on December 4, 1914. In August 1916, he was married to Jessie Granich (Gusta Greneich).

A number of years ago they moved to Butte, and here he resided until his death.

He was a devout Christian, who loved the Lord, the word of God, and the Lord's people. He experienced the saving grace of Christ early in life and was faithful to his belief unto death. He was a member of the German Congregational church of Butte.

In spite of his failing health the past few years, Mr. Scherer was always cheerful, ever ready with his jokes and greetings. He enjoyed meeting his friends, although his condition has been such that he was unable to get away from the home much of recent years.

He leaves to mourn his passing, a devoted wife, five children, forty-three grand- children and five great grandchildren, besides a host of other relatives and friends.

Funeral services were held Wednesday afternoon from the opera house, and interment was in the Butte cemetery. Rev. R. E. Howell of the Butte Congregational church assisted with the service.

We join with the many friends in extending sympathy to the bereaved relatives.

Source: Butte Gazette

December 1918

Submitted by: Sharlene

Lynn Stockwell Killed

Butte people are getting used to the shock of hearing of boys killed in battle in France, but the news Thursday evening of the death of Lynn Stockwell,only son of Dr. and Mrs. J.S. Stockwell, on the battlefield, cast a gloom over the whole community.

There had been no notice given, and the name in the paper was the first intimation anyone had that he had been killed. The parents were prostrated by the terrible news, and neighbors put in the entire night Thursday of last week, comforting and caring for them.

Lynn Stockwell was born in Butte. He grew to manhood here, receiving his education in the Butte schools. He was a clean, hardworking, upright young man, a credit to his parents and the community.

Called to service April 26th, he was at Camp Funston only a short time when his division, the famous 89th, went to France. He was in the thick of the fighting, and needless to say did his duty as a soldier faithfully and well. The date of his death in not yet known.

He leaves surviving parents and two sisters, Mrs. Ver Michaels and Miss Mabel, at home. The heartfelt sympathy of the whole community is with the stricken family.

April 20th, 1920
Doings at the County Seat

Lynn Stockwell

The remains of Lynn Stockwell arrived last Saturday noon and was met at the depot by the American Legion of Butte and escorted to the G.A.R. hall where it lie in state until Monday afternoon at three p.m. when it was given a military burial.

Rev. De Benham of Creighton an intimate friend of the family preached a very impressive funeral. Rev. F. Farner read the 46 psalms. The music was furnished by a male quartette. The pall bearers were members of the Legion and also all school mates of Lynn's. They were Royal Wilson, Lyman Wills, William Krickac, Roger Olmstead, Lloyd Graves and Henry Sanders. The firing squad were also members of the Robert Wills post. There were many soldiers and sailors from towns in Boyd county and from Gregory county and Holt county present to show homage to their comrade who had answered the last bugle call, while in action near Stenay, France on Nov. 10, 1918.

Lynn was the only son of Dr. and Mrs. J.S. Stockwell and was born in Butte, December 5th, 1898. He left Butte April 26th 1918 for Camp Funston, Kansas, where he joined Co. H 355 Infantry, 89th Division and left for England on June 4th, 1918, and was on the firing line August 1st, 1918 where he stayed until the final summons of his Great General came. The band came up from Lynch and played several patriotic airs, which was greatly appreciated by the family and friends of the dearly departed boy. The funeral was held in the Opera House that had been appropriately decorated. The flowers were many and beautiful. The throng of people from far and near spoke more eloquently than words could tell of the respect given this bereaved family. As the last sad rites were being performed the heavens opened as if the sorrowing friends and the rain drops fell on the casket of the noble lad who had given his all for his fellow man. The following beautiful tribute was given by Mrs. T.J. O'Connor, who is an intimate friend of the family:

Friends we are honored today with the privilege of giving homage to one of our beloved soldier boys.

Since Lynn Stockwell gave his life a supreme sacrifice for his people, his country and the world many recognitions have come to the bereaved home.

France, through it's President sent an engraved memorial, portraying the ascendance of right over wrong and linking the French and American flags with the laurel wreath of victory over which is inscribed: "For those Who Devoutedly Died For Their Country, It Is Right That The People Come And Pray At Their Tombs."

Woodrow Wilson, in behalf of our own United States sent an acknowledgement which reads that, "Lynn Stockwell Served With Honor In the World War and Died in the Service of his Country." John Pershing, Commander of the American Army sent his condolence to the family and assures them that their son's record will be preserved in the archives of the American Expeditionary Forces.

Later the State of Nebraska above its seal and the signature of Gov. McKelvie says, regarding the Supreme Sacrifice of our boys that, "Service is the Truest Patriotism and Lynn Stockwell's Name is on the State's Roll of Honor as Worthy of the Great Cause for which he Gave the Last Full Measure of Devotion and Expressing the Desire that his Patriotism serve as an Everlasting Challenge to the Youth of our Land to Emulate his acts of Service." And, now, we, of our community pay our tribute of praise to the boy we have known from boyhood.

I am asked to speak of Lynn's early life. It was one of health, freedom and happiness. I knew him first as a lad of twelve when he and my son were inseparable chums. The boys were so full of play that no day seemed long enough to exhaust the ways and means to express it. Up in the morning playing ball, often begrudging the confining hours of school and when released trying to make up for the hardship of lost playtime. The boys had a sympathetic and congenial companion in Doctor Stockwell who often joined in their sports and many evening directed their indoor amusements making home the most attractive of all places.

Any father can well say, "The hours I spend with thee, my son, I count them treasures, one by one."

Mrs. Stockwell did her share, as mothers know how to and many good things to eat were handed out to those ever-hungry lads.

Little things you say, no, my dear friends, they are rich suggestions to the boy which train him for kindly, thoughtful service. They are precious atoms of priceless radium that shine through the child's life with a dynamic force that lights the darkest way. To these good people I can never pay my debt of gratitude.

There's another obituary that tells of his love of his horses, he was a good hunter and helped at his church. I didn't ever see him on any of Boyd County's draft rolls so I assume he must have enlisted. although the first article says he was called to service. He was my great uncle.

Back to the Boyd County NEGenWeb Project main page.