Brown County NEGenWeb
Project © 2000-2008
No unauthorized commercial use may be made of this material
Historical Markers in Brown County
A truly unique spot in Brown County has been recognized by the placing
of an attractive stone marker.
The Lakeland High School, the only sod high school that is known to have
existed, is the site of the stone marker, located on the Elsmere road at the
Long Lake recreation area turn off.
The marker was put up by the Brown County Historical Society and was erected
The school was built due to the Great Depression of the 1930's.. The sod
school was erected in 1934 and received State approval. The scholl was used from
1934 until 1941. The school carried a full curriculum, even offering Latin at the
insistence of one rancher. Grade nine was combined with grade ten. Grade eleven
was combined with grade twelve. "Odd year" and "even Year" subjects werre alternated
in ordr to offer all courses to all students. The modest campus was to become an
oasis of learning during the next eight years.
The Society had had a metal marker erected west of Ainsworth on Hiway 20 also.
The Historical Society has also placed a marker at the home of Nannie J. Osborne
with the dedication of the marker on 07-19-1981. Mrs.Osborne ws an early pioneer
and her homestead included much of Ainsworth. The home was built in 1879 and is
the oldest house in Ainsworth.
Mrs. Osborne donated land for the courthouse site and for two churches. The City
of Ainsworth has an Osborn Street and additions also named Osborne after this pioneer.
Nannie J. Little was born in Lexington, Kentucky the 03-14-1842 and died in Selma,
Alabama on the 12-20-1917. She is buried in Ainsworth in the Park Cemetery. She was
married to George Osborne probably in the state of Illinois. A daughter was born about 1860
in Illinois and was named Nannie M. Osborne. She was married to William H. Hogan
in Ainsworth, 05-15-1889.
The names Of Nannie J. and Nannie M. Osborne appear on the petition requesting
that Ainsworth be incorporated. The papers were dated 12-10-1883.
In 1945 the Woman's Relief Corps erected a monument at the courhouse as a memorial to all
Civil War Veterans. Lewis K. Alder, a Civil War Veteran, and a pioneer of Brown County
and a former attorney-at-law, passed away in 1933. Before his death he bequeathed to the
Woman's Relief Corps of Ainsworth a $1,000.00 bond, designating that at the time of its
maturity, it be used for the erection of a suitable memorial in Brown County
to all Civil War Veterans. The dedicaton of that monument on 05-23-1948 fulfilled
that assignment of Mr. Alder, who volunteered at the age of 17 and served 18 months under
General Sherman, including his march to the sea.
A marker was unveiled at ceremonies on Saturday. 08-19-1995, as the feature of a Statewide
Fly-in. The dedication was for a historical Marker at the Ainsworth Airport, located eight
miles northwest of the County Seat of Brown County. The marker details the former bomber
air base's role in assuring victory in World War II, and was placed along Hiway 20 near
the Ainsworth Airport.
Story written by Marilyn A. Calver, local Brown County historian.