Schools of Cedar County, NE
Jump ahead to District #:
1 | R-1 | 2 | 3
| 4 | 5 | 6
| 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
| 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19
21 | 22 | 23 | 24
| 25 | 26 | 27
| 28 | 29 | 30
| 31 | 32 | 33 | 34
| 35 | 37 | 38 | 39
41 | 42 | 43
| 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48
| 49 | 50 | 51
| 52 | 53 | 54
| 55 | 56 | 57 | 58
| 59 | 60
61 | 62 | 63
| 64 | 66 | 67
| 68 | 69 | 70 | 71 | 72
| 73 | 74 | 75
| 76 | 77 | 78
| 79 | 80
81 | 82
| 83 | 84 | 85 | 86 | 87
| 88 | 89 | 90 | 91
| 92 | 93 | 94 | 95 | 96
| 97 | 98 | 99
101 | 102
| 103 | 104 | 105 | 106
| 107 | 108 | 109 | 110 | 111
| 112 | 113 | 114 | 115
Jump ahead to:
Belden | Bow Valley | Coleridge
| Constance | Fordyce | Hartington
Laurel | Magnet | Menominee | Paragon | Randolph | St. Helena
| St. James | Wynot
NAME UNKNOWN |
DISTRICT 6, Name Unknown, (Later known as St. Boniface Catholic School)
Organized April 30, 1873. The original District 6 was located about a mile northeast of Menominee.
The first school year was 1875-76. Gerard Smith was the first director; H. Van Hall was the first teacher. There were 22 families in the district and
71 school-aged children. Evelyn Koenig was the teacher in 1921-22. In 1923, under the direction of the Parish
priest, funds were raised to replace the District 6 building. The people used chalkrock to build the second building like the church had been built.
The cornerstone was laid in 1923 and by the fall of 1924, the school was in operation. Benedictine Sisters from Yankton taught grades 1-8, replacing lay
teachers from District 6. The Sisters were paid from state funds because the school was considered a public school. Religion was taught before and
after school. Later the Sisters used the upstairs of the school building as living quarters. In 1927, 10th grade was added allowing students two years
of high school. By 1930, a lawsuit raged because the Sisters were teaching in a public school which was a violation of the Religious garb law; state-
funding was revoked. The district lost the lawsuit. Because of the lawsuit, high school grades were dropped, but state-funding was reinstated. For some
reason, in 1932 enrollment jumped to 132 students and desks had to be borrowed from surrounding schools. By the early 1950s, the State Superintendent
ruled that Menominee was a parochial school and would not be receiving state funding. During 1952, school was closed because of a polio epidemic. Three
students became so ill they were hospitalized and one died. At the end of that year, District 6 merged with Joy Hill District 4, Little Beaver Creek
District 11, Hamilton District 56, and River View District 112. It became St. Boniface Catholic School. Peter Zavadil was the final director; St. Laurina, Sr.
Anita, and Sr. Innocent were the last teachers. Source: A Journey of Faith Continues - A 125
History c. 2006. From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994: Menominee St. Boniface Catholic School
supported 9th and 10th grade classes during the 1920s into the early 1930s.
DISTRICT 40, Name Unknown
Organized December 7, 1885; No classes from 1949-59. School closed.
DISTRICT 86, Name Unknown
Organized April 4, 1903; Merged with District 54 on July 1, 1966
DISTRICT 88, Name Unknown
District 88 Notes
Organized November 21, 1903; Merged with District 104 on July 5, 1952.
No classes from 1942-1951.
AMES CREEK, District 60
Organized October 1, 1889. Merged with Brookey Bottom District 7 effective
September 7, 1955
Souvenir Card Cover, 1916, Can you identify this student?
Souvenir Card Cover, May 5, 1920, Can you identify this student?
Souvenir Card Student List, May 28, 1920
ATEN, District 3
GREEN ISLAND, District 3
Organized 1875. The first director was Charles Seccombe, 1875-76. The
first teachers were Viola Hayes and JJ Tulloss. The last director was Marvin Nohr, 1979-80. The last teachers were Amanda Guthmiller and Wilma Hornstra.
BAKER CREEK, District 42 -- See NORRIS.
BEAVER CREEK, District 102
BEAVER CREEK, District 102 School Site, taken in 2009. Located on the Knox/Cedar county line road, NE
corner of the intersection. Organized March 16, 1911. In early 1910, petitions
for a school were circulated and the majority of votes would come from East Beaver Creek, Frankfort and Blyville. Frank Tramp and Frank Janssen
traveled until after midnight to get enough signers to win out against the opposition. In 1911, Woodmens Lodge Hall (Old Aten Dance Hall) was
moved from Aten five miles north and one mile east of Crofton. The building was located in Cedar County next to the Knox County line. The building
became Dist 102 and known as Beaver Creek. In the fall, school was first opened with an enrollment of 42 students. In 1922, the school was enlarged
with an addition of an entrance and cloakroom and made into two rooms so that the ninth and tenth grades might be started. During the 1920s, these
two grades were taught, but discontinued in 1932. Source: A Journey of Faith Continues - A 125 History c. 2006. Merged with Knox County's Crofton
District 96-R effective July 1, 1965. From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994:
Beaver Creek District #102 were teaching high school classes through the 10th grade in the mid 1920s. Matilda Janssen and Martha Walz were high school
BELDEN PUBLIC, District 64
Organized November 24, 1890. Merged with Randolph District 45 in 1966.
From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public
and Private 1854 1994: Belden School #64 was housing classes up through 10th grade by 1891. The first superintendent was Frank Burns. In 1916 an 11th
grade was added and by
the 1920s a four year program was running. By 1922 the first senior class graduated. In 1924 a new brick building was built. Belden high school was
closed at the end of 1966 school year and eventually the grade school was closed too. For 75 years the Belden School provided schooling to its students.
Students wore Purple and gold ahtletic uniforms and the Indian Braves did well in competition. The final senior class had eight students in 1966, but
after that the students were transported to Randolph. The Brick building was sold that resided on the south eastern edge of town. Some say when the
wind is right passerbys the school can still hear refrains of the old school song.
BELDEN SCHOOL PICTURE, 1898, Can you help us identify these students?
BREEZY HILL, District 106
Organized March 25, 1913. Dissolved and merged with
Pleasant Valley District 77 and Harmony District 98 effective May 29, 1959.
BROOKSIDE, District 108
Organized December 28, 1914. Dissolved and merged with
Fordyce District 35 effective July 1961.
BROOKEY BOTTOM, District 7
Organized April 30, 1873. Records are sketchy for this school.
There was no school from 1906-1913. Dissolved August 28, 1973. District 7 merged with Dixon County District 24, and Cedar County's Hartington/Holy Trinity
District 8S and Wynot District 101.
CENTER, District 84
Organized April 2, 1901. Dissolved and merged with Pleasant Valley
District 77 and Knox County's Wausa District 76-R effective July 1, 1964.
COLERIDGE PUBLIC SCHOOL, District 41
Organized March 2, 1886. Later known as 41-R.
From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994: Coleridge School District 41 was started in 1884 at a
railroad depot and by 1889 a two story structure was erected that included classes through the 10th
grade. By 1911 a four year high school was established and three seniors graduated that year. The Coleridge Bulldogs used blue and white for their school
colors. In 1950s a fire destroyed the building and classes met all over town. A new school was dedicated in 1961. In 2010 high classes finished the school
year an d in the coming fall will be transported to Laurel High school. Middle school students from both the Laurel and Coleridge schools will attend at
the Coleridge site. Currently Elementary school students attend school at Laurel. An alternative school has been established at the Coleridge site.
COLERIDGE 7th & 8th GRADE CLASS PHOTO, 1932
Far left back row is Margaret Beckman. Submitted by
Jackie Hensley, Margaret's granddaughter.
COLERIDGE 1st & 2nd GRADE CLASS PHOTO, 1944-1945
Left To Right Top Row: LaDell Phillips, Gene Benjamin,
Marilyn Abrahamson, Lowell Hunter, Dewain Cisney, Miss Mildred Dillon, George Wilson, Gene Kelly, Beverly Jordan, Dewey Wheeler
Middle Row: Leroy Clarkson, Richard Back, Robert Kleber, Nancy Rischmueller, Carol McMann, Ronald Gartner, Darlene Brockman, Sylvan Olsen, Gayle Heitman
Bottom Row: Dixie Ann McMann, Nancy Milander, Carol Ann Henny, Lynn McClafflin, Donna Rose, Jerry Beig, Robert Higgins, Bill Rischmueller, Jerry Gleener.
Submitted by Jackie Hensley, Dewain Cisney's daughter.
COLERIDGE CLASS PHOTO, 1945-1946
I think this is 3rd & 4th Grade. Submitted by
COLERIDGE SCHOOL HISTORY
CONSTANCE PUBLIC SCHOOL, District 26
Organized December 29, 1875. Dissolved and merged
with John Tramp District 87 in 1959. In 1967-68, school was called St. Joseph's School. In 1968-69, contracted with Knox County's Crofton District 96-K.
Parochial school listed as West Catholic Elementary in 1969-70, which dissolved and merged with Knox County's District 96 effective June 1, 1970.
From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994: Constance District #6 located in northwestern Cedar
County had instruction through the 10th grade students during the 1930s.
CONSTANCE PUBLIC SCHOOL, District 26
Second school building.
EAST CATHOLIC, District 57 -- See SUNNY SIDE and SACRED HEART, WYNOT.
EDISON, District 92
Organized March 29, 1905. Merged with Wausa District 76-R and Randolph District 45
effective October 11, 1968.
FAIRMONT, District 31
Organized January 15, 1881. Merged with Morning Glory District 114 effective June 7, 1963.
FAIRVIEW, District 44
Organized March 7, 1887.
Merged with Laurel District 54 effective August 29, 1973. 1971-1973
contracted with Laurel District 54.
FORDYCE SCHOOL HISTORYPage 1
FORDYCE SCHOOL PICTURE, 1903-04
Back of Picture
FORDYCE STUDENTS, 1914
Back of Picture
FORDYCE UPPER GRADES PICTURE, 1914
Back of Picture
FORDYCE HIGH SCHOOL, District 35
Organized September 19, 1883. Ten-grades. No classes 1898-1900.
Dissolved and merged with Northwest Star District 19 in 1965.
FORDYCE PUBLIC SCHOOL
Organized September 19, 1883.
1913, first school year all teachers listed were nuns. 1957-58 listed as St. John's School.
ST. JOHN'S PAROCHIAL SCHOOL
WEST CATHOLIC ELEMENTARY, District 11 Sideview
-- See also LITTLE BEAVER CREEK.
This photo taken of Fordyce West
Catholic in 2009. In 1968, schools in Fordyce, Menominee and Constance were combined due to financial
considerations. Grades 1-5 were sent to Fordyce, and grades 6-8 were held in Menominee. This formed West Catholic. In the early 1990's, economic
hardships and declining enrollments led to the closing of the Menominee branch of West Catholic in 1995. Fordyce grades 1-6 remain open today. Taken from
a journey of faith continues a 125 history c. 2006. From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994:
Fordyce School District #35 Public High School staffed by Sisters of St. Francis from 1911-1919.
Then a public faculty operated a two year high school for several decades.
GOLDEN GLEAM, District 75
Organized February 21, 1894. Merged with Laurel District 54
and Wayne County's District 68 effective July 1, 1970.
GOLDENROD, District 110
Organized March 27, 1916.
Merged with Knox County Districts 76-R and 86-R, and Cedar County's Norris/Baker Creek District 42-R effective July 1, 1965. This schoolhouse now
sits at the Cedar County Fairgrounds.
GREEN ISLAND, District 3 -- See ATEN.
GRISEL, District 34
Organized September 17, 1883. Last year of classes was 1950-51.
School was closed 1951-57.
HAMILTON, District 56
Organized September 29, 1888. It was made from wood and located
about one mile west and three miles south of Menominee. School began in the fall of 1888. It served six families and had seventeen children. It was
dissolved in 1955, and merged with Little Beaver Creek District 11, Fordyce District 35, and John Tramp District 87 effective May 28, 1955. The
school building was sold and converted to a house. The public school ran from 1888 - 1952. From 1952-55, there were nuns listed as teachers. It was
known as St. Boniface Parochial School. Taken from a journey of faith continues a 125 history c. 2006.
HAPPY VALLEY, District 29 -- See BRIAR CREST.
HARMONY, District 98
Organized March 30, 1909. Merged with Hartington District 8 and Coleridge District 41-R
effective July 1, 1970.
HARTINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOL, District 8
Organized December 19, 1874. The first
director was Jason Buskirk in 1875-1876. The first teacher was Cecelia Butler. This photo is of the very first Hartington school, built in 1875 on the
current public library site. It burned to the ground Christmas 1895. From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private
Hartington High School District # 8 had a high school school by 1885 and the first graduates were in 1889. By 1911-12 school year, there were 35 students
in the high school. The school colors are Purple and white and their mascot is the wildcats. Two Nebraska governors graduated from Hartington school
system, Dwight Burney and Charles Thoene.
HARTINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOL, District 8, date unknown Cedar County Museum Collection
HARTINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOL, 1896 Cedar County Museum Collection
HARTINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOL, cir. 1905-1910
Submitted by Mike Dooley
HARTINGTON PUBLIC SCHOOL, 1908, Grade 6
Back of Photo - Roster Cedar County Museum Collection
HARTINGTON HIGH SCHOOL, 1898-1911 Graduates
Back of Photo--Roster Cedar County Museum Collection
ORIGINAL HOLY TRINITY SCHOOL
Submitted by Carol Tramp
HOLY TRINITY HIGH SCHOOL, District 8 1943 staff includes Rev. Lordeman, Rev. Kaup, Sr. Boseh, Sr.
Forester, Sr. Grovijohn, Sr. Meyer, Sr. Raves, and Sr. Kranz. In 1956, listed as staff were: Rev. Lordeman, Rev. Farrald, Sr. Delphine, Sr. Luke, Sr.
Thomasine, Sr. Terrance, Sr. Rosine, Sr. Eustella, Sr. Joseph, Sr. Alberta, Sr. Felicia, Sr. Austin, Sr. Francene, Sr. Alms, Anna Schmidt, and B.E. Wanser.
HOLY TRINITY SCHOOL, District 8 Organized 1970 Cedar County Museum Collection
HOLY TRINITY SCHOOL
I inherited this cup from my mother, Emmarita "Rita"
McFadden Williamson, who attended school in Hartington, then taught at one
of the country schools nearby. Her sisters were Mary and Leone McFadden and her
parents were John P. McFadden and Augusta Ryan. Submitted by Richard R. Williamson
CEDAR CATHOLIC, District 8 Organized 1963; In 1963-1964, staff was listed as: Rev. Auer, Sr.
Marcella, Sr. Pierce, Sr. Euprosine, Charles Cook, Dean Specht, Sr. Bernard, Sr. Thomasine, Sr. Eustella, Sr. Aquinas, Kurt Kloneche, Sr. Verena, Rev.
Thomas Kosuth, Rev. Thomas DeBacker, and Rev. John Flynn. It became Cedar Catholic High School in 1970.
From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994: Cedar Catholic High School in Hartington 1963 present.
There were in 12th grade graduates in 1905. The high school started with only up to 10th grade instruction By 1963 there were ten parishes from throughout
Cedar County sending students to the school. The Cedar Catholic Trojans used Red and White for their school colors. They have done well in both academics
and athletics. By 1993 there were 178 students in grades 9 12.
HAWTHORNE, District 51
1887-1925 no teacher listed. 1925-26 seems to be first school year. Merged with
Randolph District 45 effective August 1, 1967.
JOHN TRAMP, District 87
Organized November 13, 1903. In 1967-68, called St. Joseph's School.
In 1968-69, contracted with District 96-K, Crofton Parochial School.
1969-70, listed under West Catholic Elem.
Merged with Knox County's Crofton District 96 effective June 1, 1970.
JONES, District 1
School Statistics Page 1
School Statistics Page 2
Organized April 30, 1873. School closed January 2, 1953. Located near Jones Mill.
First director was Peter Keegan, 1875-1876. First teacher was J.J. Tulloss. There are no records for 1879-80 nor for 1889-91. Earl Diest was director 1943-44.
The last teacher was Leola Jones. There were no classes 1944-53. A. Edward Jones was the final director. Photo provided by the Charles & Arlyce Newton
family from the collection of Louisa Jones Newton.
All-School Picture, 1895-1896 Back of photo School roster
Jones School Back of photo reads, "To my classmate Mr. Harry Ferber from Bessie Carroll, Wynot"
Jones School Taken by Orine Evans; Donated to the museum by Dale Evans Metters
First Pupils Now Widely Scattered Cedar County News, February 5, 1931
School bell that hung outside Jones School Photo provided by Charles & Arlyce Newton family from the
collection of Louisa Jones Newton.
Letters from White House Down Pay Tribute to Mrs. Anna Felber Cedar County News, February 19, 1931.
First school teacher in Cedar County.
JOY HILL, District 4
Organized April 30, 1873.
Merged with Sunny Side District 57 effective July 1, 1965. The first director was John Lammers, 1875-76. The first teachers were L. Howard and
D. Schwegel. The last director was Gerald Suing, 1961-62. The last teacher was Jeanette Heimes, contracting 1962-65.
LAUREL PUBLIC SCHOOL, District 54
Organized March 28, 1889.
From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994:
In 1900 the first class of seniors (tenth grade) graduated six students.
By 1908 the high school was expanded to a four year program. The Laurel Bears used orange and black as their school colors. As the movement
toward consolidattion continued western Dixon County schools of Dixon and Concord moved with Laurel in 1962. Concord High had already closed in 1958.
Laurel Concord High School District #54 1962 present see Laurel High School.
LIBERTY, District 107
Organized October 18, 1913.
From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private
1854 1994: Operated from 1931 1951, the district had been constructed during the great depression so that school
would be available close to home. In 1935 the first 12th graders graduated. The school published a newspaper the Liberty Torch in the 1938-39
school year, being popular enough it was sold to other schools and in area towns. The school operated through WWII, but with consolidation
pressing and population moving from rural to urban the school closed in 1951. Senior class that year consisted of three people. The building
was moved to Laurel for a club house on the golf course.
LITTLE BEAVER CREEK, District 11 See also Fordyce, District 35, and Constance,
Organized April 30, 1873. Located three miles
west and one mile north of Menominee. School began in the fall of 1875, serving 11 families and 34 children. School was not held in District 11 from
1953-1957. It merged with several other districts and was relocated to the south end of Menominee and called District 11. Therefore, the history of
District 11 continued ater its orginal site was closed. District 112 River View building was moved from its original location two miles north of
Menominee to the south end and became the school building for District 11. The original District 11 school building was torn down in the early 1960's
by the Duane Goeden family, using some of the lumber to build their own home which was completed in 1966. District 11 School of Menominee opened in
the fall of 1957. The 3rd graders from St. Boniface Catholic School were required to attend District 11 public school located in Menominee. Taxpayers
wanted to keep the district open for tax purposes. Three years later, starting in 1960, third and sixth graders from St. Boniface attended District 11.
In 1988, Menominee District 11 was dissolved. During the years 1948-50, there was no school. School resumed 1950-51. No school 1951-52. School resumed
1952-53. No school 1953-57. Building moved. School resumed 1957-1970. 1970-75 records don't seem to be available. 1975-88, school was in session. Taken
from a journey of faith continues a 125 history c. 2006.
LOGAN VALLEY, District 16
Organized April 29, 1873. The first director was Lewis
Dennis in 1875-1876. The first teachers were Elmira Howard and Mary Marr. District 16 was dissolved and attached to Coleridge
District 41-R and Laurel district 54 effective August 29, 1974. The last director was James Campbell and the last teacher was Shirley Woodward
LOOKOUT, District 96
Organized March 10, 1909. Dissolved and merged with Know County's Wausa District 76-R and Bloomfield
District 86-R effective July 1, 1968.
MAGNET, District 58
Magnet School, Grades 5-6, cir. 1925-26
Organized March 25, 1889. Minor accredited high school. Dissolved and merged
with Knox County's Wausa District 76-R and Cedar County's Randolph District 45 effective June 14, 1978.
From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and
Private 1854 1994: 1902 1956 located in a remote corner of Cedar County, the town of Magnet was platted. The first school house was
built in 1889 but moved from rural location into town by early 1900s. Later the small schoolhouse was replaced by a two sotry building. In 1903 it
established a high school through the 10th grade. By the end of WWI the school had a four year high school. In 1924-1925 the state report stated that
there were 35 students in the high school, and that the school was thriving. Prior to WWII in 1938 there were twenty seven students in the high school.
Considered a class G school the students participated in athletes at state level. In 1956 because of declining population the high school closed. By 1974
the school closed and the building itself was converted a one story resident.
I found this in an old photo book
that belonged to my mom Leona (Arp) Long. It was titled 5th & 6th grade Magnet. She was born in a house a mile south of Magnet and attended
school there. Mom is in the front row, third from the left. Submitted by Jon L. Long Sr.
Magnet High School, 1929-30
I found this in an old photo book
that belonged to my mom Leona (Arp) Long. She was born in a house
a mile south of Magnet and attended
school there. She is in the far right back. Since she was born in 1915, it should make the photo about 1925-26.
Submitted by Jon L. Long Sr.
MAYFLOWER, District 46
Date of organization unknown. First school year was 1888-89. Contracted 1971-73 to
Laurel District 54.
Dissolved and merged with Coleridge District 41-R and Laurel District 54 effective August 29, 1973.
MCCULLOUGH, District 63 -- See NIGHTINGALE.
MEADOW GROVE, District 52
Organized March 17, 1888. Dissolved and merged with Laurel District 54
effective September 21, 1967.
MENOMINEE, District 11 -- See LITTLE BEAVER CREEK. See also ST. BONIFACE PAROCHIAL SCHOOL.
MIDWAY, District 105 -- See KERLOO.
MODERN, District 109
Organized March 27, 1916. Dissolved and merged with Golden Gleam District 75
effective July 1, 1965.
MORNING GLORY, District 114
Organized January 12, 1923. Dissolved and merged with
Coleridge District 41-R and Laurel District 54 effective July 27, 1978.
NORRIS, District 30
Organized March 16, 1880. Dissolved and merged with Coleridge District
41 in 1959.
NORTHWEST STAR, District 19
Organized March 20, 1874. Dissolved and merged with
Hartington District 8 effective July 1, 1968.
Listed as St. John's School 1965-66. Listed as West Catholic Elementary 1968-69.
OBERT, District 21
Organized April 16, 1874. Later called Obert R-1, Maskell School, or
Kelbert School. Closed in the mid-1960s. From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994:
Obert High School District 21 operated from 1912 1954. In 1909 construction was authorized for a two story school and by 1912 the school operated
with grades up to the 10th grade. By 1930 the last two grades were added. Green and white were the school colors. First class of seniors graduated
were in 1932. By 1953 a reorganization plan was in place to consolidated Maskell District in Dixon co., and some of the smaller ele. Rural schools.
The two districts combined and became the first R-1 School in Nebraska. High school students attended in Obert and elementary students went to
Maskell. The new school district was called Kelbert with new school colors of blue and gold. For 15 years the small school provided outstanding
excellence in academics and athletics. In 1969 the last class of seniors received their diplomas. Obert Maskell High School (Kelbert) 1954 1969.
O'GARA, District 43
Organized December 29, 1886. Dissolved and merged with Laurel
District 54 in 1965.
PARAGON SCHOOL, District 24
Organized February 24, 1875. Dissolved and merged with Hartington
District 8 effective July 1, 1968.
PARAGON, Front View
Submitted by Connie Loftus
PARAGON HISTORICAL MARKER
GROUP A Paragon school mothers. Bertha Bottolfsen on far left.
GROUP B Far left is Laura Bottolfsen. Helen Olsen Swan is next to her. Additional names written on photo.
GROUP C Mary Bottolfsen on far left. Teacher in the middle?
GROUP D Carl Olsen in back with bow tie; Helen Olsen Swan in front of Carl to right; Ina Olsen front right
in a hat; Laura Bottolfsen Olsen back row far right; Herman Arthur Bottolfsen in front with hat on backwards.
GROUP E Back row from left: Laura Bottolfsen Olsen, Helen Olsen Swan, Carl Olsen, far right no i.d.
Front row from left: Ina Olsen, middle no i.d., Monica Heimes far right. cir. 1926-1928. Please let us know if you can
identify anyone. Submitted by Connie Loftus
Directors & Teachers, 1875-1901 Includes Map of District
Directors & Teachers, 1901-1963
Directors & Teachers, 1964-1968
PEARL CREEK, District 48
Organized September 28, 1887. Merged with Coleridge District 41-R.
Last school year was 1958-59. From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994: In 1918, the school
west of Coleridge provided 9th and 10th grades until WW II when, for a short time, 11th grade was also taught.
PRAIRIE HILL, District 68
Organized January 17, 1891. Dissolved and merged with
Coleridge District 41-R and Randolph District 45 effective July 1, 1970.
Organized December 7, 1885-57. Dissolved and merged with Hartington District 8, Paragon District 24, and Wynot District 101 effective
July 1, 1969. School Board: Director Emery Benson, Sec. Minor Koch, Amos Gran, Harry Rasmussen, Walter Johnson, and Vernon Stope 1957-58. First teachers:
J.H. Ewert, Supt; Mrs. Jackie Hansen, Prin., Mrs. Ruby Rahn, Mrs. Thelma Hattig, Louise Newton, Mrs. Ransom Rasmussen,
Mrs. Elizabeth Fitzgerald and James Koehler (4.5 months). Last director: Mary Johnson 1968-69. Last teachers: Wm E Conry, Supt., Stephen Nord,
Gerald Baker, Harry Curren Jr. Richard Foxberger, Alvera Klanderud, Lucille Anderson, Margaret Robinson and Joan Olsen.
Randolph High School 1887 District # 45 In 1893 the first tenth grade student received
a diploma. It expanded into a four year high school program by 1900 there was one senior 12th grade graduate. In the 1911-1912 school year a new brick
school was built and 84 students were in the high school. Twenty four of those students went on to take normal teacher training. By 1992-93 there were
124 students in grades 9 12. In 1929 the red and white cardinals took the class c championship in football. In 1964 the school was remodeled again.
From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private -1854 1994
RANDOLPH PUBLIC SCHOOL, District 45, View A
Organized March 30, 1887.
RANDOLPH PUBLIC SCHOOL, District 45, View B
ST. FRANCIS de CHANTAL SCHOOL
RIVER VIEW, District 112
Organized April 2, 1917. Located approximately two miles
Menominee. A one room school began in the fall of 1917. That year it served 12 families, and had 29 children in attendance. In 1954, it was the last
year the school operated, dissolving May 25, 1955. This school merged with Little Beaver Creek District 11. The building was moved to Menominee and placed
on a basement that was dug for it. This served as District 11 for the next 33 years. The year it was moved, the parish approved installing lights, a
telephone and a new furnace. This building stood on the south end of Menominee. 1945-48 no school; 1948-1950 School was observed; 1950-1953 no school;
1953-1954 school was observed; 1954-1955 no school. Taken from a journey of faith continues a 125 history c. 2006. Information found at the Cedar County
Courthouse in Hartington.
ROBINS, District 94
Organized March 29, 1908. Dissolved and merged with Coleridge
District 41-R and Randolph District 45 effective July 1, 1970.
ROCK HILL, District 99
Organized March 30, 1909. Dissolved and merged with
Hartington District 8 effective July 1, 1968.
ROSE HILL, District 67
Organized March 16, 1891. Dissolved and merged with
Hartington District 8,
Pleasant Dale District 18, and Northwest Star District 19 effective June 5, 1959. From Pages of history,
Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994: A small high school existed for a time after World War I.
ROSE VALE, District 79
Organized March 1, 1895. Dissolved and merged with
Knox County's District 96-IK effective September 1, 1966.
ROY, District 76
Organized March 10, 1894. Dissolved and merged with Laurel District 54
effective July 22, 1970.
ST. BONIFACE PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, District 56 -- See HAMILTON.
In 1952, District 6 was merged with Joy Hill District 4, Little Beaver
Creek District ll, Hamilton District 56, and River View District 112. This school was held in a chalkrock building at Menominee. At this point,
the school transitioned from a public school to a parochial school. In 1954-55, school year enrollment was 113 students. St. Boniface was closed
in 1995. A hall was added to the north of the building and some of the classrooms and kitchen were remodeled so that the parish could still use
the building. Taken from a journey of faith continues a 125 history c. 2006.
ST. FRANCES DE CHANTAL PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, District 45 -- See RANDOLPH.
St. Frances de Chantel High School at Randolph 1899 1970 (district #?) Referred to as St. Frances Academy built close to the Catholic Church was built
in 1899 to provide a secondary education for those of the Catholic Faith. By WWI the school expanded to a 12 year program and students received their
diplomas. Emphasis was on female students by it expanded to coeducational. The blue and gold Blue Jays also participated in many athletics. With changing
circumstances the private school closed and 1970 graduated its last class of 30 students.
From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994
ST. HELENA PUBLIC SCHOOL, District 2
Organized April 30, 1873. Dissolved by the county superintendent in 1961.
A three-month school was taught by Dr. Bunting in 1859 in a log house, considered the first school in the county. In 1869, one of the first four
frame houses built in the town was converted into a schoolhouse. In 1888, a parochial school need was clear. The former County Treasury Building was
moved to the church block
and two additions were built. St. Mary's had an enrollment of 30 students, the first teacher was Miss Mary Peitz. In 1900, enrollment doubled.
The need for a new school and more teachers was imperative. The new school was three stories, with a wood frame measuring 30 feet by 85 feet.
It contained two classrooms and living quarters for Sisters and boarders. The school was completed by the fall of 1900 and School Sisters from
Milwaukee St. Francis began teaching. It wasn't until 1914 that the first boarders shared living space with three Sisters. In 1948, there were
In 1959, school facilities were not acceptable by the state education department. They disapproved of three stories and called for large
changes for greater fire protection. The new school was built by a company that agreed to move the old building if they could have the salvagable
lumber. By 1961, the school, parish center and convent were completed. In 1968, St. Mary's was one of three parishes that were consolidated into one
system called East Catholic Elementary. The other parishes included St. James and St. Peter & Paul. Grades 1-5 were sent to Bow Valley and grades 6-8
were sent to St. Helena.
At first, Cedar County did not have public schools. In 1858, a teacher was hired for a private school at St. Helena. Few records exist for
this school and others during that time period. In 1867, public schools were started in St. Helena and St. James. In 1875, Districts 1, 2, and 3
were formed. District #2 was St. Helena. One must remember that school years or terms did not conform to today's standards. Competent teachers were
scarce. The first public school in St. Helena was one of the four red houses, or "Society" houses. This became overgrown and a school house was built.
Later, another school was built and stands unused. It is slowly being torn down. Today, St. Helena arranges with other public schools to provide
education to their young. Source: St. Helena Sesquicentenial History Book
St. Helena became a Class 2 - 10-grade high school. The first director was Peter Jenal 1875-76. The first teacher was Frank Campbell. Records
for the school are sketchy. St. Helena Public High School, Dist. #57, for 9th 10th graders began about 1914. The high school ran until prior to World
War II. From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994.
ST. MARY'S PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, District 2
ST. MARY'S PAROCHIAL SCHOOL & HALL, District 2
ST. MARY'S PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, District 2 Photo thanks to Loren Bender.
ST. JAMES PUBLIC SCHOOL, District 10
Organized April 30, 1874.
Public school merged with Sacred Heart District 101. Photo thanks to Dick Schumacher of the Green Diamond, St. James.
From Pages of history, Nebraska High Schools: Present and Past Public and Private 1854 1994: Between 1907n 1910,
briefly provided grades through 10th grade, after that the high school students attended Wynot High School.
In 1909 the St. James School District gave way to Wynot to build a school. But St. James and Wynot shared buildings for a time.
During those years the district offered education through the 10th grade. Later a new multistory brick school was built in 1912.
In 1924 a new addition was added on including an auditorium. By 1920 a four year high school program was in operation.
The first class had five students. The Blue Devils nickname was adapted from the Wynot Wildcats in 1946 and blue and white were the school colors.
Building additions were made in 1961, 1965 and 1974. The School has done well in athletics. In 1986 the four day school week was initiated.
ST. JAMES SCHOOL CARD, 1904, with student roster.
ST. JAMES ALL-SCHOOL PICTURE, 1894
NAMES FROM BACK OF PHOTO
ST. JAMES PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, District 10
ST. JAMES PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, District 10 Photo taken in 2009; Building now serves as town marketplace
ST. JOHN'S PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, District 35 -- See FORDYCE.
ST. JOHN'S SCHOOL, District 19 -- See NORTHWEST STAR.
ST. JOSEPH'S SCHOOL, District 26 -- See CONSTANCE.
ST. JOSEPH'S SCHOOL, District 87 -- See JOHN TRAMP.
ST. MARY'S, District 57 -- See SUNNY SIDE.
ST. MARY'S PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, District 2 -- See ST. HELENA.
ST. PETER, District 12
Organized April 30, 1875. District 12 was located about 12 miles east
of Hartington. The first director listed was Dennis OFlaherty 1875-1876. The first teachers were Caroline Fitzgerald and L.B. Plaice. District 12 was
dissolved and merged with Hartington District 8 and Laurel District 54 effective July 1, 1970. The last director was Archie McGregor 19671970. The last
teacher listed was Esther Bottolfson 1966-1967.
St. Peter's School Pupils, Photo 1, cir. 1917-1926
I attended St. Peter through 8th grade.
Mildred Anderson is in the 2nd row (just behind and to the left of the 3rd person (boy) in the 1st row. I believe Tom Anderson is the last boy on the left
in the back row. Mildred's brother Art may be the 2nd to the last person in the back row.
Photo belongs to Linda Stone Longe, daughter of Mildred Anderson
Stone. Submitted by Connie R. Loftus
St. Peter's School Pupils, Photo 2, cir. 1917-1926
Mildred Anderson is 2nd person in the back row. Her brother Tom Anderson may be the 1st person in the back row. Photo belongs to Linda Stone
Longe, daughter of Mildred Anderson Stone. Submitted by Connie R. Loftus
St. Peter's School Pupils, Photo 3, cir. 1917-1926
Back row, 2nd from left, is Mildred Anderson. Last person on far right back row is Tom Anderson. Photo belongs to Linda Stone Longe, daughter of
Mildred Anderson Stone. Submitted by Connie R. Loftus
St. Peter's School Pupils, 1951-52
From L: Glen Stone, Barbara Kleinsmith, Dennis Bottolfsen, Alan Heikes, Arlis Bottolfsen, Gary Stone, Connie Bottolfsen, Marlin Kleinsmith,
Roger Heikes, Larry Kleinsmith, Gene Bottolfsen, Rosalie Stone. Submitted by Connie R. Loftus
ST. PETER & PAUL PAROCHIAL SCHOOL, District 72 -- See BUNKER HILL.
SELLETIN, District 111
Organized April 3, 1916. Dissolved and merged with
Randolph District 45 effective July 1, 1967.
SMITHLAND, District 104
Organized February 15, 1913. Dissolved and merged with
Paragon District 24 effective May 1959.
SOUTH, District 70 -- See NORTH.
SPRING VALLEY, District 32
Organized December 21, 1881.
The first "spring valley" school was built near a small spring called Cold Springs across the road from the pioneer Henry Morton home. It was a
small one room building made of logs. For firewood to keep it warm in the winter, the men of the community had to go to the Missouri river bottom
to cut and haul wood with a team and wagon or on sleds. Too many prairie fires kept the plains swept of trees of any size. The first school was too
close to Waucapona, so it was decided to rebuild two miles southwest of the original building. The school was named Spring Valley.
Spring Valley School Picture, cir. 1901-1904
Spring Valley School Picnic, cir. 1906-1912, Teacher Nellie Bixby
Spring Valley School Picture, 1920
Near Morten Homestead, Hartington. Pictured: Leonard Lively, Nellie Lively, (unidentified), Harry Morten, Bird Morten, Joe Morten,
Jessie Lentz, Adly Anderson, ___ Anderson, Clarence Anderson, (unidentified), Maud Tatro, Ivie Swan, Clare Swan, Albert Swan, and Mattie Wiggins,
and Teacher Wisdom. From Ernie Gottschalk collection, Vale SD.
SUNNY HILL, District 97
Organized March 30, 1909. Dissolved and merged with Coleridge
District 41-R and Wausa District 76-R effective July 1, 1970.
SUNNY SIDE, District 57
Organized October 20, 1888. Known as St. Mary's 1966-69. Known as
East Catholic Elementary School 1969-80.
SUNNY SLOPE, District 83
Organization date unknown. First year of school listed as
1901-02. Dissolved and merged with Laurel District 54 in 1965..
TIP TOP, District 78
Organized March 31, 1894. Dissolved and merged with Hartington
District 8 effective July 1, 1968.
TIP TOP ALL-SCHOOL PICTURE, 1900 Back of photo reads, "No. of Hartington. Minnie Fogelson at corner
of building. Mandy Segdon on left." Cedar County Museum Collection.
WASHINGTON, District 37
Organized March 3, 1885. Dissolved and merged with Randolph District 45
effective July 1, 1967.
WHITTIER, District 38
WHITTIER NW, District 38
WHITTIER S, District 38
WHITTIER SE, District 38
Organized August 11, 1885. Whittier consisted of four schools. The district dissolved and merged with Randolph Public School,
District 45, effective July 1, 1970. From the 1965-1966 school year, they contracted with Randolph Public School, District 45
To submit an additional school listing or school photo, e-mail Carol Tramp,
Coordinator for Cedar County
You are our 13676th visitor since adding this counter on 6/10/09.
Thanks for stopping by!
This page was last updated 02/16/11