Cherry County NEGenWeb Project ©  2000-2003
  library




The Valentine Public Library is located at
324 N. Main Street
Valentine, NE.69201.
The telephone number is: (402)-376-3160.
Email address is: vallibrary@inebraska.com.


The Valentine Public Library became a reality on April 1921, through the efforts of P.E.O. Sisterhood, Chapter CA. The organizational committee met with the County Commissioners and were granted permisson to use a small room in the Court House. This small group of ladies quickly prepared the space for 600 books donated by local enthisiasts.

Within ten years the library contained 3000 volumes. The library had grown rapidly and the expense of maintaining it became a burden for the P.E.O. organization. In September 1935, the P.E.O. voted to give th library to the city. It was then moved to the upper floor of the newly built City Hall. The space served the people of Valentine until 1968 when the present library was completed.

The current building was dedicated on 08-11-1968. Today it houses over 30,000 volumes and is a vital service to this community. The Valentine Public Library continues in the spirit of its founders, the P.E.O. Sisterhood and it combines the continuity of tax based funding with the generosity of public spirited philanthropy.