A-C D-F G-H J-L M-O P Q-R S-V W-Z
A through C
David Ackerman is the efficient clerk of Hall County, Neb., and to that place was elected by his numerous Republican friends in the fall of 1885. His peculiar fitness for this position was soon seen and recognized, and he has served by re-election ever since, his present term expiring January 1, 1892. He was born in Northampton County, Pa., December 8, 1847, and is the son of David and Catherine (Flick) Ackerman, who were also natives of that State, the father's birth occurring in 1818. The mother died in that State in 1863 when about fifty years of age, having borne a family of nine children, of whom David is the fifth, and eight now living. Three brothers served in the Fifty-first Pennsylvania Infantry, and one brother, John A., was killed in front of Petersburg, Va., August 1, 1864. David Ackerman received a common education in the schools near his home, and in youth learned the intricacies of farm work and blacksmithing, after which he engaged in the hotel business. In February, 1865, he enlisted in Company I, Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Infantry, and served until the close of the war, after which he returned to his old home in Pennsylvania and began learning the drug business. After attending a college in Philadelphia for three years he graduated in March, 1874, and the following August came to Omaha and from there entered the employ of C. F. Goodman, remaining with him until the 16th of August, when the following one and one-half years were spent in Grand Island in conducting a drug store for Mr. Goodman. The two subsequent years he managed a store of his own, then went to Fort Laramie, W.T., where he was engaged in buying cattle for two years. At the end of this period he came back to Grand Island, and after selling drugs on his own responsibility for one year he, in the fall of 181, became associated in the real-estate business with J. E. White, entering in 1882 the United States Land Office as receiver's clerk, which position he held until January 1, 1886, but as above stated has been ably performing his duties as county clerk since that time. He was married in April, 1877, to Miss Lillie M. Clark, a native of South Bend, Ind., born March 11, 1858, a daughter of E. V. and Catherine (Ault) Clark, the former born at West Liberty, Ohio, and the latter at Rochester, Ind. Mr. and Mrs. Ackerman are the parents of four children: Mabel, David V., Julia M. and Nell M.
ALFORD, Charles L.
Charles L. Alford is very properly classed among the substantial, representative's agriculturists and stockmen of Hall County, Neb. Now, just in the prime of life, he has become possessed of a desirable competence, the result entirely of his own management and will, and on his farm of 320 acres he has a comfortable residence, good barns of all kinds, an excellent bearing orchard and a grove of forest trees. He was born in Berkshire County, Mass., August 19, 1835, and is a son of Nathaniel and Maria (Waters) Alford, natives, respectively, of Connecticut and Massachusetts. Their union took place in the latter State, and here the former followed the occupation of farming. They moved to Iowa in 1856, where the father was engaged in tilling the soil in Fayette County until his death, in October, 1886. His wife died in Massachusetts in 1852. Charles L. Alford remained in his Native State until he was fifteen. He removed to Iowa with his father, remaining with him for two years, then married and began tilling the soil for himself in that locality, continuing, until he came west in the fall of 1873. He first took up a homestead claim, but located where he now resides in the spring of 1875, his land being al in one body and one of the finest farms in the county. He is devoting some attention to improving his stock and now has a herd of twenty-one Poled Angus cattle besides a good herd of graded cattle. He has always been a Republican politically, and has held a number of offices of honor and trust in his township and county. He was married in Fayette County, Iowa, October 12, 1859, to Miss Sarah Thorogood, a daughter of Thomas Thorogood. She was born in New York State, but was reared and educated principally in Iowa. She and Mr. Alford have two children: Edward (who is married, he and his wife being teachers of the county, he a graduate of the State Normal), and Charles A. (who is at home). Mrs. Alford is a member of the Baptist Church, and he is a member of the Farmers' Alliance and is auditor of Cairo Lodge.
John Allan. The sons of Scotland are well represented in Hall County, Neb., and although with characteristic modesty they do not assume to brilliancy in the forum, yet they hold conspicuous places in many pursuits which make Hall County a substantial star in the galaxy of Nebraska's many interesting counties. The subject of this sketch was born in the Parish of Arbuthnot, Kincardineshire, Scotland, May 30, 1850, and is a son of John and Margaret (Watson) Allan, worthy people of that locality, whose pursuit was that of the agriculturist, which seems to have been the principal occupation in which both the Allan and the Watson families were engaged, although branches on both sides have furnished professional men. Both families were noted for their rugged constitutions and longevity, characteristics, which have marked them through several generations. John Allan, the immediate subject of this memoir, received excellent training in the public schools of his native land, and at the age of eighteen years came to America to seek his fortune, his first five years here being spent in different States throughout the East, South and West. In 1873, he came to Nebraska and located at Wood River, where he followed teaching school for about eight years, and during this time became favorably known to the public as a painstaking and conscientious man at whatever business he had in charge. In 1881 he left the school room to accept a clerical position in the office of the county clerk, his duties also comprising an apprenticeship of five months in this office he was appointed a deputy, which position he filled reputably until the fall of 1883, when he received the nomination of district court clerk, and was elected to this place by a handsome majority. He discharged his duties to the satisfaction of all, and in 1887 his party (the Republican) honored him with a second nomination and election. He has not been inactive as a citizen outside of his official duties, as he has always extended the right hand of fellowship to all worthy interests, which have come up before this young and enterprising city. Upon the organization of the Grand Island Improvement Company he became a stockholder and has contributed of his means to the support of it as well as kindred interests. He formed a very happy union at Grand Island, June 18, 1885, with Miss Fannie L. Garrett, a lady of many attainments and a daughter of James and Margaret A. (Gaskin) Garrett, who were born in the Isle of Man and Lincolnshire, England, respectively. Mrs. Allan has borne her husband three interesting little children: Margaret K., Leo G. and Ralph H. Mr. Allen is a member of the I. O. O. F., Liderkranz, A. O. U. W. and St. Andrews societies. He and Mrs. Allan hold memberships in the Rebecca Lodge of the Odd Fellows, and they worship in the Episcopal Church, although Mr. Allan was reared a Presbyterian. In this matter he holds very liberal views, and in his contributions donates to all religious as well as all moral institutions, and is respected as an honest and reliable official and citizen.
Zelotes Avery, a member of the firm of Avery & Son, contractors and builders of Grand Island, Neb., was born in what was then Genesee County, N.Y. (now Wyoming County), February 23, 1824, being a son of Horace and Susan (Jolsen) Avery, the former native of Connecticut, a farmer by occupation, and a son of Moses Avery, a soldier in the Revolutionary War from the "Nutmeg State." The latter was born in Connecticut, and married there, and was a son of an Englishman. The history of the Avery family in America is traced back to three brothers who came to the New World in that good old ship - The Mayflower. Susan (Joslen) Avery was a daughter of Nehemiah Joslen, who was a native of York State, a farmer by occupation, and a man of sterling worth and integrity. Horace Avery moved with his family to Canada, and was a resident of Oxford County until 1836, when he moved to Clinton County, Mich., and settled in St. Johns, in which places Zelotes Avery grew to manhood and was educated. In the year 1862 he enlisted in Company A, Twenty-third Michigan Volunteer Infantry, which company he helped to organize, but after a short service he was honorably discharged on account of disability on February 1, 1863, and for ten years thereafter he was an invalid and unable to do but very little work. In 1876 he and his father came to Nebraska and located upon a large tract of land in Hall County, and here the father died in 1878 of cancer of the stomach. Zelotes was married in Michigan to Miss Phoebe Ferdon, a native of Rochester, N. Y., and a daughter of John Ferdon, but he was called upon to mourn her untimely death in 1869, she leaving him with three sons and a daughter to care for: Horace W. (who was killed in 1880 in a railroad disaster on the Fort Worth & Santa Fe Railroad), John H. (is a sailor), Alton M. (is associated with his father in business), and Alta M. (who is the wife of Frank Voorhees, of St. Johns, Mich.). In 1876, Mr. Avery married Mrs. Henrietta Haynes, of St. Johns, Mich., she having been previously married to a Mr. Sampson. Mr. Avery has served as supervisor of the county for four years, two years from Martin Township and two years from Grand Island. He also served in this capacity in Clinton County, Mich., and was also sheriff of that county, and is now a member of the Lyon Post of the G. A. R. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. His son, Alton M., who is associated with him in business, was born in St. Johns, Mich., in 1855, and in his early youth learned the mason's trade of his father, which occupation has since received his attention. He and his father constitute and enterprising and successful firm, and their work is always of the best. Alton M. Avery was married to Miss Frankie Sampson, a daughter of his father's second wife, and to their union a family of two sons and a daughter have been born.
BAKER, Hon. Alexander Hall
Hon. Alexander Hall Baker, agent in the United States land office at Grand Island, Neb., and receiver of public lands, is a native of York State, his birth occurring at Springwater, Livingston County, January 29, 1823, his parents being Samuel and Saloma (Eldred) baker, also natives of that State, and sturdy, honest and thrifty tillers of the soil. Both belong to prominent old New England families, the paternal grandfather being George Baker, and the maternal grandfather Capt. James Eldred, who was the commander of a United States merchantman. Hon. Alexander H. baker was reared to manhood in Genesee County (now Wyoming County), and his earliest recollections are of assisting his father on the home farm and attending the common schools near his home. The husband and father died when just in the meridian of his manhood, and left his wife in somewhat straitened circumstances and with quite a large family to support, and Alexander was obliged to do his share in making a living. Upon attaining man's estate he engaged in farming for himself and became very successful, but the people of the East were too slow and plodding to suit one of his ambitious and enterprising disposition, and he longed for more room and better opportunities to try his strength, and these desires were soon gratified for the fertile prairies of Nebraska were about this time opened to the settler, and the young farmer and ex postmaster of Westerfield, N.Y., directed his footsteps thither in the spring of 1857. He pre-empted a homestead in Douglas County, which is now within the city limits of Omaha, and for many years was very successfully engaged in tilling the soil there. He was active in promoting the farming interests of that locality, and soon became well and favorably known, and during 1874-76 represented Douglas County in the General Assembly of Nebraska, which was a very fitting compliment to his citizenship, as the district was strongly Republican. During the years 1864-66 he was interested in freight transportation between Omaha and Salt Lake City, and this business was the means of his becoming thoroughly familiar with the country throughout the West. In 1881 he went to Rock Creek, W.T., and kept the Union Pacific Hotel for two years, then returning to Grand Island, where he expects to make his permanent home. Upon the incoming of the Democratic administration in 1884, Mr. Baker received a general endorsement, both Democratic and Republican, for his present incumbency, and has filled the position very satisfactorily up to the present time. He is a liberal supporter of all good measures for the advancement and growth of his locality, and his is one of the directors of the Grand Island Improvement Company, and one of the original stockholders. He is also a director of the Citizens' National Bank, the United States Investment Company, was one of the chief promoters of the Grand Island Street Car Company, and has served as its president since its organization. He is also a liberal contributor to churches, schools, etc., and is a man whose residence in any locality is to be desired. He buried a wife and two children, the only issue of the marriage in his native State, and formed a second union with Miss Mary J. Berlin, a lady of many attainments, a daughter of Jonathan Berlin of Pittsburgh, Pa., and by her is the father of a son, Alex Nelson, who is an intelligent young ma, and is now taking a regular collegiate course at Stamford, Conn.
Daniel Baker, one of the pioneers of Hall County, located here in 1860 in what is now Wood River Township. He was born in Switzerland in 1829 and was the son of Jacob and Barbara (Walker) Baker, natives also of that country, where they spent their entire lives. The father was a ropemaker by trade. Daniel Baker remained in his native country until eighteen years of age, and there received his education. He then took passage for the United States, and after arriving here was in the livery business for a number of years. He then traveled for some time, and later was engaged in freighting through Nebraska, thus becoming thoroughly acquainted with this country. In 1863 Mr. Baker took up a claim which was partly improved, and in 1874 he homesteaded eighty acres, which he began improving. He was married in Hall County, in 1864 to Mrs. Ellen Fry, the widow of Charles Fry (who was killed in service during the late war), and the daughter of Joseph and Ellen Smith, natives of New York. Mr. and Mrs. Smith came to Hall County in 1861, and in February 1862, he and two sons were killed by the Indians. The mother lived here for a number of years, and now resides in Beloit, Wis. Mr. Baker has always taken a deep interest in political affairs and is independent in his views, although he generally votes with the Democratic party. He has been a member of the school board for years, and is a man who has the respect and esteem of his neighbors. Mrs. Baker is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. To their marriage have been born three children: Anna (now Mrs. Judy, of Hall County), Matilda (attending school at Doniphan) and John. Mrs. Baker had three children by her first marriage, two living: Esther (married, and in Hall County) and Maria (now Mrs. Lord, also of Hall County). Mr. Baker has seen the complete growth of the county, having been a resident of Hall County since 1860, a period of thirty years, and has always taken a decided interest in all that relates to the good of the county.
C. A. Baldwin, the present surveyor of Hall County, Neb., is a native of York State, born in 1835, being a son of Anson and Elizabeth (Cadwell) Baldwin, who were also natives of that State, the former's birth occurring in 1809, and that latter's in 1814. They died in 1840 and 1835, respectively, Mr. Baldwin having been a captain in the New York State Militia. But little is known of his family, except that his father was Curtis Baldwin, who was married on April 15, 1779, to Polly Chitenden, whose ancestry can be traced back to William Chitenden, originally from the parish of Marden, County of Kent, England, where he was born in 1594. He was one of a company of twenty-five from the Counties of Kent, Surry and Sussex, who forsook their native land and immigrated to the wilderness of North America, for the sake of religious liberty. He was one of the signers of the covenant on ship board to live on one plantation, and on May 20, 1639, they sailed for American shores and arrived at new Haven on the 10th of the following July, and settled at Guilford, Conn. William Chitenden became prominent among the leaders of the colony, and was one of a committee of six, who were appointed to purchase the site on which the town of Guilford now stands, from the Indians. He was also a member of a board that had charge of the civil government and spiritual affairs of the colony for some time, and was the principal military man of the settlement, bearing the title of lieutenant. He had fought with the English army in the Netherlands, also the Thirty-Years' War, and had reached the rank of major. He was magistrate of the colony and deputy to the general court until his death. His old homestead has been in possession of some members of the family ever since, and at last accounts was owned by Hon. S.B. Chitendon, of New York. William Chitenden was married in England to Joanna Sheaffe, of Wanbrook, County of Kent, and by her became the father of eleven children. His son, Sergt. John Chitendon, was married to Hannah Fletcher, and died in April 1716, at the age of seventy-three years, having become the father of six children, of whom Joseph was the third child. The latter wedded Mary Kimberly, of New Haven, and he also became the father of six children, and resided in Guilford until his death, September 11, 1827, when fifty-five years of age. His fourth child, Daniel W., married Abigail Downs, and five children were the result of their union. He was born in 1700, and died May 18, 1781, at Guilford, having become the father of five children. Jairus was his fifth child, and was married to Rebecca Hall, removing with her to New Durham, N.Y., in 1788, where he died March 9, 1828, at the age of eighty-two years. He was the father of nine children, of whom Polly, the eldest, became the wife of Curtis Baldwin, the grandfather of C. A. Baldwin, the immediate subject of this sketch. The latter was reared to manhood in the State of New York, and received a thorough education in one of the best academies of that State, giving special attention to his mathematical studies, for which he had a natural aptitude and in which he became proficient. After reaching a proper age to engage in business, he became a hatter and built up a very large trade throughout the South, which bid fair to bring him in a fortune; but the breaking out of the Civil War ruined his prospects. At the early age of eighteen years he was elected by the town of Durham to represent it in the county convention, and served as a delegate in some capacity up to the date of his removal from that State. Finding himself out of business, Mr. Baldwin went to Iowa in the spring of 1861, but the inducements to engage in business in that State were very discouraging, so he went to work by the day for a contractor and builder, and by the next spring had become so proficient that he was made foreman, and at the end of another years was contracting and building for himself. He continued to reside in Iowa during the War, and at the close went to Illinois, and for seventeen years worked as contractor and builder, also in the plow and machine shops at Bushnell. In 1884 he removed to Nebraska, and began contracting and building grain elevators, of which he has about twenty three in the State, and as many more in Iowa and Illinois, exclusive of the work done in Kansas. Mr. Baldwin is a man of decidedly superior intelligence and takes an active interest in questions connected with his county and State; and owing to his especial fitness for his present position he was nominated by the Republican county convention for the office of surveyor, and was elected without opposition. He is looked upon by all as a man who will receive many honors in the future, and to say that he will deserve them would be to express the opinion of the public at large very mildly indeed. Socially he is a member of the A.O.U.W. and the I.O.O.F. He was married in New York State to Miss Frances Ham, a native of that State, and by her became the father of three children: Elba, Ord and Lillie. The mother of these children was born in 1837, and died in Independence, Ia., in 1865. Two years later Mr. Baldwin wedded Mrs. Lucy McNeal, and by her he also has three children: Frank, Fred and Myrtle.
BARNES, Eli Allen
Eli Allen Barnes, receiver's clerk in the United States Land Office at Grand Island, Neb., is a member of the State Board of Agriculture, and is one of the managers of that institution. He was born in Cayuta, Chemung County, N.Y., September 14, 1836, and is a son of Maj. Jesse and Rachel (Swartwood) Barnes, the former of whom was a farmer by occupation and a son of Abram Barnes, who was a native of Sullivan County, N.Y., and a soldier in the War of 1812, his father being a revolutionary Soldier from Connecticut. Rachel Swartwood was a daughter of Gen. Peter Swartwood, an 1812 soldier. On both sides of the genealogical tree the ancestors were pioneers of the "Nutmeg State" from the Old World. Eli Allen Barnes obtained a good knowledge of the "world of books" in the common schools near his home and in Ithaca Academy, of Ithaca, N.Y., and after completing his course was engaged in wielding the ferule for some time, although his early occupation had been that of farming. October 1, 1856, found him in the State of Illinois, located on a farm in DeKalb County, and there he remained until the breaking out of the Civil War, and in 1862 joined Company G, Ninth Iowa Cavalry, and did active and honorable service for Uncle Sam until the latter part of 1864, when he was honorably discharged and returned to DeKalb County, Ill. He was married there February 22, 1865, to Miss Nancy E. Crego, a native of Chenango County, N.Y., and a daughter of Daniel and Ann (Kelley) Crego, who were also born in the "Empire State". In February, 1871, Mr. Barnes located upon a soldier's homestead in Hall County, Neb., and after making his home for twelve years moved to Grand Island, and has since been engaged in clerical work in different retail houses, and has been postal and railway mail agent. He has always been interested in the agricultural affairs of the county, and was active in the early establishment of the Hall County Agricultural Society, and has contributed liberally to its maintenance. He served in the capacity of president four years, secretary four years, and has been a member of its executive board ever since its organization, with the exception of about three years. He was elected a member of the State board of Agriculture in 1876, and has been re-elected each continuous term since. He has been superintendent of agricultural halls for eight years, was elected one of the board of managers in 1889, and is re-elected for 1890. He is one of the original members of the Grand Island Improvement Company. He is a Royal Arch Mason, having become a member of that order in 1860, is a Sir Knight of Mount Lebanon Commandery, and is the present generalissimo; also a member of Lodge of Perfection No. 1. A. & A. S. R., and a member of Ashlar Lodge No. 33, A.F. & A.M. He has served two years as councilman from the Second Ward, and the last year was president of the council.
BARR, Prof. Robert J.
Prof. Robert J. Barr, who for the past eight years has been superintendent of the city schools of Grand Island, Neb., was born in Grand Rapids, Mich., October 31, 1849, being the eldest of four children, three now living, born to the marriage of Jackson B. Barr and Lamantha Brink, both natives of New York. About 1852 they removed with their family to the vicinity of Greenville, Mich., and here the father followed the occupation of farming throughout the summer months, and that of lumbering during the winter season. Prof. Robert J. Barr remained on the farm near Greenville until he was eighteen years of age; but at the age of twelve years he had entered the high school of Greenville, and being studious, industrious and intelligent, he made rapid progress in his studies and received a thorough intellectual training. Not being entirely satisfied with his knowledge of books, he, after teaching school near Greenville, in the spring of 1869, entered the State Normal School of Michigan, at Ypsilanti, in the spring of the latter year, and this institution he attended four years, completing the full classical course, and graduating in June, 1873. During the fall of 1873 he was engaged for two months as a teacher in a district school in Washtenaw County, Mich. In January, 1874, he took charge of the graded schools of Algonac, St. Clair County, Mich., and held this position until the spring of 1875. In the fall of the latter year he became principal of the high school in Big Rapids, Mich., a position he held until March, 1876; then returned to Algonac and again took charge of the schools there, continuing until June, 1878. In September of the latter year he was married at Ypsilanti, Mich., to Miss Eva A. Bellows, a daughter of C. F. R. bellows, professor of mathematics in the Michigan State Normal. In the fall of 1878 Prof. Barr took charge of the schools of Oscoda, Mich., where he remained for two years, and for the following years he had the management of the schools of Au Sable, Mich. In the fall of 1882, he entered upon his duties as superintendent of the public schools of Grand Island, Neb., and has filled this position with characteristic ability and to the entire satisfaction of all concerned. He and wife have an only son, whose name is Albert S. They are members of the Presbyterian Church, and Prof. Barr is a member of the Masonic Lodge, in which order he has advanced to the Chapter degrees and the Fourteenth degree in the Scottish rite. He is also a Knight of Pythias and a member of the A. O. U. W. He has become well known as a successful educator, and as a citizen his standing is of the best.
George Bartenbach, alderman from the Second Ward, dealer in paints, oils etc., and a proprietor of the Grand Island Opera House, is a native German, his birth occurring in Tuttlingen, Wurtemburg, January 22, 1844, he being a son of Henry and Rosina (Stengelin) Bartenbach, the former a tanner and currier by occupation. George was the eldest of their five children, and after receiving a good schooling in his native land, he learned his father's business, and in 1866 came to America, landing in Castle Garden in May of that year, and sought employment at his trade, but found little encouragement to pursue that calling. He then turned his attention to other pursuits, and after working at various employments for some time, he entered the employ of Steinway's Sons, of New York City, and remained with them seven years, saving considerable money during this time. In 1878 he came to Grand Island, Neb., and after working for nearly two years in the Union Pacific Railroad yards, he opened a small shop of his own, and began selling paints and oils, and gradually increased his business until he now has an establishment which brings him in a comfortable income. Like all his countrymen, he is industrious and frugal, yet enterprising, and these characteristics, together with strict honesty, close application and perseverance, have placed him among the wealthy men of this section. His career is an excellent example for the rising generation, and shows what can be accomplished when there is a thorough determination to succeed, for on coming to this country he possessed but little means, was without a profession or trade which was of any use to him, and was unacquainted with the English language. He is a member of the A.O.U.W., the Liederkranz, of which he is treasurer, and he is a stockholder in the Grand Island Improvement Company, the Grand Island Canning Company, and also the creamery of that place. He built the Opera House Block, one of the finest buildings in the city, and he is also the owner of a handsome residence. He was married in New York City to Miss Charlotta Seivers, a native of Holstein, Germany, born March 1, 1844, and by her he has a son and daughter: Henry (who is associated with him in business) and Ella Ch. A son, Adolph, died. Mr. and Mrs. Bartenbach are members of the Lutheran Church.
John Boeck is a successful druggist at Cairo, Neb., and is a proper representative of the energetic young business men of Hall County, which has done and is doing so much for the advancement of the material interests of this section. He was born in Holstein, Germany, September 15, 1861, and received an excellent education in the common and high schools of his native land. At the age of fifteen years he entered college, taking a most thorough course, and from this institution was graduated in 1881, his course of study including pharmacy and a practical knowledge of drugs. Soon after leaving college he emigrated to the United States, and until the fall of 1883 he was engaged in clerking in a drug store in Grundy County, Iowa, which position he held for about two years. He then removed to Hall County, Neb., and first located at Grand Island, where he remained for about four years, and in the month of October, 1888, came to Cairo, and after clerking some time over one year he purchased his present establishment, and has since been actively engaged in business for himself. Being active, intelligent and enterprising, he has built up a paying trade, and his stock of drugs and medicines, paints, oils, school books, stationery and notions is quite complete. He is married, Miss Mary Wede, a native of Germany, being his wife. She was reared and educated in her native land. They have a family of three children: Etta, Meta and Albert. Mr. and Mrs. Boeck are members of the Lutheran Church, and he is a member of the A.O.U.W. He is a man of excellent business qualification and habits, and has made many warm friends since locating in Cairo, fully deserving the patronage he has won.
BÖHNE, Alfred Herman
Alfred Herman Böhne, a leading undertaker and furniture dealer of Grand Island, Neb., is a highly respected and esteemed citizen in both business and social circles. His father, Henri Herman Böhne, who was a native of Osterkaplin, Hanover, Germany, emigrated to this country in 1834, being then twenty-eight years of age, and located in Beardstown, Cass County, Ill., where he was united in marriage in 1840 with Miss Selina Beard, of Burton, Ohio. Of this marriage there were three children, the eldest of whom was born August 27, 1842, and is the subject of this sketch. The father died April 8, 1847, at the homestead in Beardstown, thus leaving the young wife and mother alone to maintain the children and, unaided by a father's precept and example, to rear them to manhood and womanhood. How well her work is doe the integrity of her sons and daughter will testify. In 1859 the widow became the wife of Rev. David Crawford, an Englishman by birth, and who died in 1881. The mother survived him until October 7, 1886, passing from this life at the home of her son in Grand Island, aged seventy-six years two months and twenty-six days. The early life of A.H. Böhne was spent in the vicinity of Beardstown, where he was employed in farm work. August 19, 1861, he enlisted in Company K, Thirty-third Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was sworn into the Union army before his nineteenth birthday. He served with this regiment until May 1, 1863, when he was wounded in a battle near Port Gibson, Miss., after which he was placed in hospital at Memphis, Tenn. Having partially recovered he was removed to St. Louis and transferred to Company A, Second Regiment Veteran Reserve Corps. In December, 1863, he was sent to Jackson, Mich., when for several months he was on provost guard duty. Mr. Böhne received an honorable discharge from the service at Detroit, Mich., September 2, 1864. In 1865 he entered Eastman's National Business College at Poughkeepsie, N.Y., but being a victim of inflammatory rheumatism was compelled to leave the institution before he had completed the course. Returning to Illinois, he located in Champaign County and engaged in farming. October 7, 1869, Mr. A. H. Böhne and Miss Lyde M. Craig, of Urbana, Ill, were united in marriage. In the spring of 1873 Mr. Böhne sold his farm in Champaign County, and accepted a position in the office of the Illinois Central Railroad at Rantoul. He remained there for three years. In the spring of 1876 Mr. Bohne removed his family to Morgan County, Ill., where he turned his attention to the manufacturer of drain tile for two years. The increasing demand of a young and growing family warned the father that he must take a long look ahead and provide for the proverbial "rainy day." Having tried farming, railroad work and manufacturing industry successively he became convinced, like many others, that to win in the battle for bread that should have its share of butter, or in other words to become a prosperous business man, he must "go West and grow up with the country." Grand Island, Neb., was the point selected. The move was made accordingly, the family arriving in grand Island March 11, 1878, where they have resided. The capital invested during the first five years consisted alone of that kind of stock that always insures safe returns, namely, industry, energy and economy, combined with the strictest integrity and a determination to gain a foothold. His first work was as salesman in an agricultural implement establishment; following this he was employed at the office of the Union Pacific Railroad for nearly two years. Subsequently he was in the employ of H. L. Burkett, at that time the leading undertaker and furniture dealer in Grand Island. In 1882 Mr. Böhne commenced in business for himself, and has since been prosperous in both branches as undertaker and furniture dealer. In 1887 Mr. George F. Ryan became associated with Mr. Bohne, the firm still existing as Böhne & Ryan. It is ranked among the leading firms of Grand Island; gentlemanly and accommodating in their business relations, honest and upright in all their transactions, their ultimate success is both deserving and assured. Nine children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Böhne, six of whom are now living. The family occupy high social relations, and are esteemed for their intrinsic worth. They are members of the Presbyterian Church and congregation. Mr. Böhne is a member of Lyon Post No. 11, G. A. R., also of the A.O.U.W., being at the present time receiver of Charity Lodge No. 91. Mrs. Böhne is president of the Grand Island Woman's Christian Temperance Union, to which position she has recently been elected. She is also a member of the Nebraska State Board of Associate Charities and Reforms, and as such is a trustee of one of the State charitable and reformatory institutions. As a member of the Women's Relief Corps Mrs. Böhne was twice elected to fill the responsible position of department president of the Nebraska Women's Relief Corps. Mrs. Böhne's father, William Craig, was born in Shelby County, Ky., October 12, 1810, and in 1830 removed with his parents to Illinois, and was married in 1834 to Miss Martha Ann Dicky. He made that state his home until 1855, at which time he located on a one-fourth section of land near Omaha, Neb., which was then a mere straggling village, expecting to remove his family there from Jacksonville, Ill, at a very early date. He subsequently returned to Illinois, giving up his Nebraska enterprise on account of the ill health of his wife, but in 1859 he again returned to this State and engaged in mechanical business in Grand Island. In 1886 he visited Astoria and Coquilla City, Ore., and while there was stricken with a disease which necessitated the amputation of his limb. Since then he has been bed ridden, and in this condition was brought back to Grand Island, the home of his son in law, where he desires to end his days. He is a remarkable instance of physical courage and Christian fortitude, and although eighty years of age, bed ridden, partially paralyzed, and almost speechless, he retains to a remarkable degree his vigor of mind and unusually cheerful appearance.
BRAGE, G. Frederick
G. Frederick Brage is a well-known architect of Grand Island, Neb., and like others of this calling in the town has won an enviable reputation, and is a skilled workman. He was born in Prussia, germany, July 25, 1852, and is a son of David and Christena Brage, with whom he came to America in 1868. They first located near Watertown, Jefferson County, Wis., and here resided during the summer of 1868, but in September moved to Juda, Green County, Wis., and from there to Butler County, Iowa, in 1877. Two years later they settled in Franklin County of that State and in 1882 came to Nebraska, and both parents are residing in Merrick County of that State, their home being six miles north of Central City. In May, 1876, G. Frederick Brage left the home of his parents in Green County, Wis., and went to Milwaukee, but a few weeks later removed to Racine, and was there engaged in working at the carpenter's trade from June, 1875, until December, 1876, then spent the following winter and summer in Green County. In the fall of 1877 he accompanied his parents to Iowa, and this State continued to be his home until 1885. In 1878-79 he followed his calling in Hampton and vicinity, and during the remainder of his residence in Iowa he followed his trade in different places, and one summer was spent in millwrighting. After coming to Nebraska in the spring of 1885 he made his home in Hastings for a few months, but in November of that year moved to Grand Island, which place has since continued to be his home. He possesses much natural aptitude for his calling, and ever since his residence in this town he has been associated in business with C. C. Rittenhouse, of Hastings. Socially he is a member of the Masonic order and the A. O.U.W.
BRININGER, Charles W.
Charles W. Brininger is the present city clerk of Grand Island. He is a practicing United States land attorney and is also engaged in the real-estate business, being a member of the well known firm of Ross & Brininger. He was born in Middlebury, Elkhart County, Ind., December 14, 1864, and is a son of John and Julia Ann (Smith) Brininger, who was born, reared and married in Snyder County, Pa., and after the consummation of the latter event they moved to Indiana, in 1861. The father was a stone mason by trade, and was a man who possessed many worthy traits of character. The mother died January 1, 1890, in full communion with the Lutheran Church, and is now lying in the family cemetery at Vistula, Ind. Four sons and six daughters of their family are living, of whom Charles W., is the youngest. He was reared in Indiana up to the age of fourteen years, then came to Nebraska and made his home with his brother, Alfred F., a merchant of Central City, and while with him learned all the details of mercantile life. He also followed the occupation of teaching for some time, and in August, 1883, came to Grand Island, as register clerk in the United States land office, and this position filled with ability until July, 1887, when he formed a partnership with Mr. Ross, and has been associated with him ever since. He was married in Grand Island to Miss Mary E., a daughter of John Johnson, a blacksmith of Greeley Center, Neb. Mrs. Brininger was born in Paterson, N. J., and has borne her husband a son, named Lucius Roy, and a daughter named Carrie Fay. They attend the Episcopal Church, and Mr. Brininger belongs to the Masonic fraternity, the A.O.U.W., and is a stockholder in the Grand Island Improvement Company, and a director in the Grand Island Building and Loan Association, and is now filling his second term as city clerk.
BRUCE, Russel S.
Russel S. Bruce, farmer and stock raiser, Underwood, Neb. To the person who closely applies himself to any occupation which he has chosen as his calling in life, there can only be one result - that of success and a high position of esteem from those among whom he has made his home. And the case of Mr. Bruce is no exception to the rule, for from boyhood he has been engaged in agricultural pursuits, and his strict attention to this calling accounts for his success. He was born in Hillsboro, Highland County, Ohio, in1832, and was the eldest in a family of eleven children, the result of the union of James A. and Experience (Shaw) Bruce, natives of Virginia and Ohio, respectively. The father left his native State when a boy, emigrated to Ohio, and was married in Brown County of that State, September 14, 1814, to Miss Shaw. He was a cooper by trade, and in 1850 moved to Illinois, settled in Bureau County, and there his death occurred. The mother is still living, and resides in Putnam, Putnam County, Ill. Their children were named as follows: R.S. (subject), John (married and resides in Putnam County, Ill.), William (died April 24, 1836), Ann (died in 1866), Mary M. (now Mrs. Smith, of Princeton, Ill.), Joseph (resides in Putnam County, Ill.), carey I (married and resides in Poweshiek County, Iowa), Irene (now Mrs. Bobeck, of Bureau County, Ill,), Experience E. (now mrs. Biddulph), Emeline (now Mrs. Burnside, of Putnam County, Ill.) and James F. (married and residing in Putnam County, Ill.). Russell S. Bruce was early taught the duties of farm life, received his education in the schools of Ohio, and under the tutorage of L.D. Whiting, of Tiskilwa, Ill, and at the age of eighteen years went to Illinois, where he commenced farming for himself. He was married in Bureau County, of that State, in 1855, to Miss Mary A. Owen, a native of Marshall County, Ill, and the daughter of Roderick and Nancy (Adams) Owen, natives of Connecticut and New York, respectively. Mr. Owen emigrated to Ohio when a young man, was married in 1822 and settled in that state, where he learned the trade of a machinist and also worked at blacksmithing in Ohio and Pennsylvania. He and family came to Illinois at an early day, and in 1832 he erected a flour mill on Crow Creek, the first in that section, people coming sixty miles to the mill. Later he engaged in the plow manufacturing business, on a small scale, in Lacon, Ill. (1836), and after that began the manufacture of plows at Indiantown, later called Tiskilwa, where he built up a big business, and there his death occurred in 1860. His death was mourned by all. Mrs. Owen died September 28, 1849, at the age of forty-three years. Their union was blessed by the birth of the following children: William R. (enlisted in the Seventy-seventh Illinois Infantry, Company D., and served five years; was in the siege of Vicksburg, and was with the Western army; at the close of the war he returned to Illinois, and now resides at Tiskilwa), Pardon H. (married and resides at Port Byron, Ill., and is a teacher by profession), Sarah A. (now Mrs. Sheldon, resides in Louisville, Polk County, Ore.), John Q. (manufacturer now resides in Denver), Mary A., Permelia A. (was killed in Illinois in 1885), Ferguson (resides in Salem, ore.), Harriet (died at the age of thirteen), and Helen (now Mrs. Starrett, of Denver, Colo.). After his marriage Mr. Bruce settled in Illinois and there remained until 1856, when he removed to Benton County, Iowa, and engaged in farming in that and Poweshiek Counties. In 1874 he moved to Nebraska and settled where he now lives, on eighty acres of land. This he has improved very materially, and has an excellent place. He is active in politics, is independent in his views, and his vote is cast for the best man and for the best measures. He was justice of the peace for about eight years. Socially he is a member of the South Platte Alliance, was one of the first members in the southern part of the county, and this is the oldest alliance in the same. Mr. and Mrs. Bruce are members of the North Hastings Congregational Church, and are active workers therein. Their marriage has been rendered happy by the birth of four living children: Edgar F. (married to Miss Mary Dings, and they have four children: Roy, Donna Belle, Edna Grace and Ada May; they reside in Grand Island), William M. (married to Miss Lola M. Oliphant, and they have three children: Earl, Loyd, and Winnie; they reside in Banner County, Neb.), Winnie (now Mrs. L.T. Coulter, is the mother of one child, Vinnie, and resides on Elm Island, Hall County), and Edith May (now Mrs. Harvey Johnston). Mr. Bruce has seen the complete growth of the country south of the Platte, and there was very little settlement in this part of the country when he came here. Mrs. Bruce's grandparents, Amasa and Elizabeth (Dana) Owen, were natives of Connecticut, and emigrated to Scioto County, Ohio, at an early day. The material grandparents, Joseph and Abigail Adams, were natives of New York, and at an early day emigrated to the Buckeye State. Both died in Ohio.
Henry Chamberlin is the present efficient cashier of the First National Bank of Wood River, Neb., but was born in Dubuque County, Iowa, in 1855. When fifteen years of age he removed to Gentry County, Mo., and after obtaining a fair knowledge of the common branches in the district schools, he entered a business college of St. Joseph, in which institution he thoroughly fitted himself for business life. In 183 he came to the State of Nebraska, and opened a bank at Battle Creek, Madison County, which he successfully conducted for two years, then removed to Arapahoe, and was one of the organizers of he First National Bank of that place. In the meantime he opened a bank at Hornerville, but sold out soon after and opened another bank at Benkelman, and after selling this, established one at Akron, Colo. Upon selling his interest in this bank he and a brother came to Wood River and organized the Hall County Bank., but at the end of one year converted it into the First National Bank, and he was elected its president and his brother its cashier. After a short time the latter sold out, and he and his brother opened the Merrick County Bank at Clark, of which institution he is now president. Henry Chamberlin is the present cashier of the First National Bank, and is very painstaking and accurate. He was married in January, 1883, to Miss Lola M. Tomblin, and by her became the father of three interesting children: Marvin, Ada L. and Beulah. Mr. Chamberlin is a son of S. and Deborah (Price) Chamberlin, both being born in York State. They now reside at Stanbery, Mo.
CHAPMAN, H. P.
H. P. Chapman, stock-raiser and bank director of the First National Bank of Wood River, neb., owes his nativity to Ohio, where his birth occurred in 1848, he receiving a rather limited education in the common schools of Meigs County, Ohio. He was married in that county to Miss Hopy Thompson, a native of Ohio, born in 1850, and the result of this union has been four children: James F., Roma, Erma and Pearl (who died at the age of two years). After his marriage Mr. Chapman followed farming and stock-raising, but later sold out and moved to Hall County, Neb., where he formed the acquaintance of James Ewing who owned a lumber-yard, put in money with him and enlarged the yard, after which he bought and shipped stock. He was in the lumber business for less than a year, when he sold out to R. H. Dodd and purchased a herd of sheep, and was the first feeder of sheep in that vicinity. He has raised sheep in Ohio, and owned the second best shearing buck in Ohio, the yield being thirty-one and a fourth pounds. Mr. Chapman did fairly well at the lumber business, and in sheep he cleared over $1,250 on the first flock of 600 head he fattened. He still continues to feed and fatten stock. He purchased his present farm of 250 acres in the fall of 1885, and he also farms a section of land besides this. He is feeding about eighty five head of cattle now, and generally feeds from fifty to 100 head each year. He raises from 100 to 150 head of hogs each year, and also raises horses and mules. He has been a stockholder and director in the First national Bank for nearly two years, and is a man well and favorably known throughout the county. Wood River runs through his land and supplies his stock with an abundance of water. Mr. Chapman is a member of the A.O.U.W., and also the I.O.O.F. and Camp of the last named order. He is the son of Truman and Sallie (Strong) Chapman. The father was born in Massachusetts in 1816, emigrated to Northern Ohio when eight years of age, from there to the southern part of the State when twenty-one years of age, and in 1880 to Nebraska, where he is living at the present time. He is the father of four children, all alive. The paternal grandfather, John Chapman, was born in Massachusetts, but at an early period emigrated to Southern Ohio, where he was among the pioneer settlers.
CHASE, L. B.
L.B. Chase, sheep feeder and property owner, Wood River, Neb. Among the successful agriculturists of Hall County, whose merits are such as entitle them to representation in the present work, is Mr. Chase, the subject of this sketch. He was originally from New Hampshire, where his birth occurred in 1845, and there he grew to manhood, and received his education. He left his native State and emigrated to Nebraska in the fall of 1871, took a homestead, but did not keep it. He worked for James Jackson for the first year, then went to California and was engaged in the sheep-raising business for some time, realizing considerable profit from it, but lost all his money the year President Hayes was elected. He then quit the sheep business and began operating a saw-mill, which he continued for a year, after which he sold out and went to the northern part of the State. There he worked on a wheat ranch for a year and a half and then returned to his native State, where he remained for six months. From there he went to Wyoming Territory and purchased an overland mail route, which he conducted one year, clearing over $1,000 at this. He then sold out and entered the mercantile business as clerk in a store at Fort Steele, W.T., where he remained one year, and then, in 182, he came to Wood River, Neb., where he has since made his home. He was married in Grand Island to Miss Lena Lenson, a native of Sweden, born in 1861, and the fruits of this union were three children: Lee, Lon and Leslie. He purchased property in Wood River about 1884, and as he understands the sheep business he is engaged in feeding for various parties for three consecutive years. He has charge of and feeds 2,000 sheep this year for G. Ferris, of Wyoming. He goes out about the middle of April every year and for three and a half to four months shears sheep, getting from $5 to $12 per day. He gets $60 per month for feeding sheep and is thorough and reliable in all his business relations. He is a member of the I.O.O.F. and the M.W.A., and in his political views affiliates with the Republican party. He is the son of James A. and Sarah (Cotton) Chase, natives of Vermont and New Hampshire, respectively. The father lived to be seventy years of age, and died in New Hampshire, and the mother is still living, is sixty-seven years of age, and resides in that State. The grandfather, Edward Chase, was probably born in Canada, but died in Vermont. The maternal grandfather was in the War of 1812. Our subject's great-grandfather on the mother's side was the first child born in Grafton County, N.H., and the mother of his great-grandmother was half Indian.
CLIFFORD, Hon. Henry Emerson
Hon. Henry Emerson Clifford, probate judge of Hall County, Neb., was born in South Paris, Oxford County, Me., September 19, 1853, and is a son of Jonathan Kendall and Harriet Newell (Hall) Clifford, the former a son of David Clifford, of South Paris, Me., and the latter a daughter of Maj. Cyprian Hall, of South Paris. Both parents belonged to old families of Maine and both presumably date their ancestry in America to the early pioneers of Massachusetts. Judge Clifford devoted his early manhood to teaching school, but his early predilections were for the study of law, but, like many another of the honored members of that profession in this country, his finances were limited and it was some time before he could find means to attain his end. He first devoted some attention to cheese-making and farming, after which he went to Worcester, Mass., and conducted a bakery establishment. Al this time during odd months he devoted to the perusal of Blackstone and found but little satisfaction in other pursuits. In the spring of 1882 he came West and located at Grand Island, entering the law office of the Hon. O. A. Abbott, and in January of the following year was admitted to the bar. He at once entered upon a career of distinction and success, and business came to him unsolicited, for his strong good sense, his knowledge of human nature, his calm conservatism and his genuine legal ability were soon perceived and he gained the universal confidence of the people. He was elected to his present incumbency in 1889, but also served the city as clerk, justice of the peace and assessor. He is one of the original stockholders of the Grand Island Improvement Company, and supports all enterprises for the good of his community. He and wife are members of the Congregational Church, their union having taken place in Shirley, Mass., she being a Miss Hattie E. Whitney, a daughter of Rev. Charles H. Whitney, a Congregational minister. Mrs. Clifford has borne her husband a son, Leon E.
COLE, Hon. Eirving M.
Hon. Irving M. Cole. Born in Jefferson County, N.Y., March 22, 1842, Mr. Cole is a little past his forty eighth year, and a man well and favorably known throughout Hall County, especially in the vicinity of Cairo, where he is successfully engaged in the mercantile business. Irving M.'s father, Philip Cole, was born in York State and was married there to Miss Angeline Austin, they being also natives of Jefferson County, but in 1844 they removed to Illinois, and in 1849 settled in La Salle County, of which they were among the pioneers, and are there still residing. They reared four sons and one daughter to mature years, and all are living at the present time and are the heads of families. One brother lived in Adams County, Neb., and one brother and sister in Hall County. Irving M. Cole attained manhood in La Salle County, and there received a good common school education. On August 1, 1861, he enlisted in the First Illinois Artillery and was honorably discharged in October, 1864, having participated in the battle of Stone River, Chickamauga, siege of Chattanooga, Missionary Ridge and siege of Atlanta. He also participated in the capture of Island No. 10, was taken prisoner at Stone River, and was kept in captivity for about forty days at Libby Prison, after which he was exchanged; after his discharge he returned to La Salle County, and there continued the occupation of farming for several years. In 1876 he came to Hall County, Neb., and in January of that year he took a homestead claim near the present town of Doniphan, and here continued to till the soil until about 1885, when he sold out, moved to the town and embarked in the hotel business. In 1886 he came to Cairo, and now represents the North Platte Lumber Company, being manager of the business at this point. He carries a large stock of building material and is doing an excellent and paying business. He has always supported the Republican party, and in the fall of 1882 he was elected to the State Legislature by the people of Hall County, and filled the position with distinction in the Eighteenth General Assembly of the State. He is recorder in the A.O.U.W., and is a member of the Masonic fraternity. He was married in La Salle County, Ill., December 22, 1864, to Maria, a daughter of Henry Lutchford; she was born in England but was reared and educated in the above-named county. They have four children: Sherman (who is married), Ida (wife of L.W. Lyon), Minnie and Wilbert. Mrs. Cole is a member of the Baptist Church.
COLE, Prof. Edward Everett
Prof. Edward Everett Cole is the efficient principal of the Grand Island High School, and is one of the prominent and most successful educators of the State of Nebraska. He was born in Henderson, Ky., August 5, 1859, and is a son of Rev. Jacob and Margaret (Worsham) Cole, the former of whom came from his native land of Germany to America with his parents when he was nine years of age. Upon reaching this country the family resided for a few years in new York City, after which they removed to Henderson, Ky., and here Rev. Jacob Cole was reared. He entered the Baptist ministry in early life, and for about forty years labored in that field, and during the late Rebellion he served as chaplain of Gen. Logan's regiment. He and his wife are still living, and their union was blessed in the birth of seven children, of whom five survive. Prof. Edward Everett Cole was the fifth of his father's family, and when but two years of age was removed by his parents to Du Quoin, Ill, where he resided until he was seventeen years of age, his early education being obtained in the public schools of that place. In 1876 the family removed to Champaign County, Ill., and in the fall of 1878 he entered the Illinois State University at Champaign, and in this institution completed a full classical course, graduating in June, 1882. He also during this time completed a military course in this same institution, and after leaving college decided to become a teacher in a country school, the first year in St. Clair County, and the second in Champaign County. During the winter of 1884-85 he was principal of the graded school of Parksville, Ill., but in the fall of the latter year he determined to come westward, and during the winter which followed he taught a district school four miles north of Grand Island, Neb. In the fall of 1886 he entered upon the duties of his present position, and has filled it with characteristic ability ever since. He is a very thorough educator, and as principal of the high school of Grand Island has given the best satisfaction. He is an exemplary young man in every respect, and is an earnest worker in the Y.M.C.A. of Grand Island, and belongs to the Central Nebraska Teachers' Association. He was married July 12, 1887, to Miss Sophie J. Norris, a daughter of James F. and Cordelia A. (Deckard) Norris, the former a native of Cupleper, Va., and the latter of Otterville, Mo. The mother of Mrs. Cole has been married twice, her first husband being Silas Jenkins, by whom she had four children, two now living. Her union with Mr. Norris resulted in the birth of five children, four daughters and a son, the latter being deceased. The parents of these children located in Grand Island in 1869, and are now among the oldest residents of the city. Prof. Cole and his wife are members of the Emanuel Baptist Church, and he is also a member of the M.W.A. Mrs. Cole is the eldest child born to her parents, and for six years prior to her marriage was engaged in teaching music, for which art she has much talent.
COLWELL, B. L.
B. L. Colwell, farmer, Wood River, Neb. The subject of this sketch was born in Darke County, Ohio, in the year 1815, and is the son of John and Electa (Hand) Colwell, natives of New York and Pennsylvania, respectively. The father was born in 1782 and was a farmer by occupation. He left his native State in boyhood, emigrated to Pennsylvania, where he married Miss Hand, and later moved to Darke County, Ohio. He was killed by a falling tree while passing through the woods in Champaign County of that State. In his political views he was a Whig. To his marriage were born nine children, eight of whom grew to maturity, married, and had families. As before stated, Mr. Colwell was killed by a falling tree, he had one brother killed by the breaking of a blood-vessel, and another killed by the kick of a horse. B. L. Colwell attained his majority in Ohio and was married there in 1837 to Miss Matilda Plummer, a native of Ohio, born in 1819. Mr. Colwell had very limited educational advantages in the primitive log schoolhouse, with the puncheon floor, split logs for seats, and fire-place. After his marriage he resided in Ohio until 1850, and then emigrated to DeWitt County, Ill., where he remained for some time. When first settling there he had a team, $200 in money and a family of five children. By energy, economy and close attention to business he made considerable money while in Illinois, and there remained, engaged part of the time in the manufacture of brick, until 1882 he came west to have more room. He purchased 480 acres of land, his children are now residing near him, and he prepared to spend his declining years in peace and comfort. Of the ten children born to his marriage, nine are still living, married and have families. They are named as follows: Fidelia (wife of Milton Giddings), Milton (married Ida Simpson), Hannah J. (wife of Mr. Brittin, who is postmaster at Wood River), Malissa (wife of Nicholas Burchard), Orin T. (married Flora Mitchel), Sarah (wife of C. Brockelhurst), Peter E. (married Jennie Glendening), Savilla (married T. C. Taylor) and William (married Anna Potts). Next to the youngest was Mary, who died in infancy. Mr. and Mrs. Colwell are happy and contented, are surrounded by their children and grandchildren (twenty-three of the latter) and are universally respected by all acquainted with them. They celebrated their fiftieth anniversary in 1887 and received many valuable presents from relatives and friends as tokens of the respect and esteem in which they are held. Both are members of the Presbyterian Church, to which they have belonged for many years, he being one of the board of elders the most of the time. Mr. Colwell is a Republican in his political views, casting the first presidential vote for Harrison, the grandfather of the present President Harrison. Our subjects maternal grandmother was one hundred and five years of age at the time of her death, and his great-grandfather, John Colwell, was a native of Ireland.
A.Conn, farmer and stock-raiser, Cameron, Neb. Let a man be industriously ambitious and honorable in his ambitions and he will rise, whether having the prestige of family or the obscurity of fortune. We are led to these reflections by perusal of the life of Mr. Conn. This gentleman is another of the many citizens of Hall County we owe their nativity to the Buckeye State, his birth occurring in Ashland County in 1849. His parents David and Elizabeth (Bennett) Conn, were natives of Maryland. The father was born on October 21, 1821, and when about six or seven years of age when to Ohio with his parents. There he grew up and was married to Miss Bennett. After living in Ashland County for some time he moved to Illinois and became a pioneer of DeWitt County. He resided there for about thirty years, and in 1880 came west to make his home with his son. He is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South, and in politics is a Democrat. His wife, who died when about thirty-six years of age, was of German descent. The paternal grandfather was born in Virginia, was married in that State, and was a revolutionary soldier. He died in Ohio. A. Conn grew to manhood in Illinois, received a common-school education, and at the age of twenty-three years was married to Miss Jane Plummer in De Witt County, Ill, in 182. Their family consists of the following children: Ada, Cyrus, Edward, Ray and Ethel. Mr. Conn farmed in Illinois until 1875, then moved to Nebraska and homesteaded his present farm. He owns 280 acres of land, is engaged in raising stock, and is one of the progressive and substantial farmers of the county. He is a member of the Farmers' Alliance, and in his political is strictly Democratic.
COSTELLO, James A.
James A. Costello is the present incumbent of the sheriff's office of Hall County, Neb., and since his election to this position, in 1889, has proved an efficient officer. He was born in Pittston, Luzerne County, Pa., October 15, 1860, and is a son of Thomas and Hannah (Geary) Costello, who were born in the Emerald Isle, and came to the United States unmarried and alone. The father was a stonemason by trade, but followed coal mining in Pennsylvania until 1877, when he came to Nebraska, and has since been engaged in farming near Wood River. He and wife became the parents of five sons and three daughters, of whom the subject of this sketch is the fifth child. After the latter had attained manhood he engaged in farming and railroading, but abandoned the former occupation to accept the position of deputy sheriff under E. A. Wedgwood, which position he held during the most of that gentleman's incumbency, from 1887 to 1889. In the latter year he was elected to his present position on the Democratic ticket, although the county is strongly Republican. He has also served as treasurer of his district school board, and was elected assessor of Jackson Township, but did not serve. He is a member of the A.O.U. W., and is a stockholder in the Grand Island Improvement Company. Mr. Costello's brothers and sisters are: Michael J. (residing at Wood River), Katie, Annie (wife of John E. Phillips, a locomotive engineer of North Platte), Thomas F. (a railroad conductor on the Union Pacific Road), William W. (a fireman on that road), Mollie A. and John. James A Costello is a member of the Roman Catholic Church.
John Creason, farmer and stock-raiser, Doniphan, Neb. Among the agriculturists of this county, so many of whom are mentioned in these pages, is Mr. Creason, the owner and proprietor of a landed estate of eighty acres. His home is on Section 10, and to his chosen calling he gives close attention, and with the result which only such conduct can produce. Born in Des Moines County, Iowa, in 1848, he was the fourth in a family of nine children born to the marriage of John and Abigail (Hillman) Creason, natives of Ohio. The parents were married in that State in February, 1841, and the same year they came to Iowa, settling in Des Moines County, near Burlington. There he opened up and improved two farms, one in Des Moines County and the other in Lee, and remained there until 1865, when he emigrated to Nebraska, and settled in Nemaha County. There he continued to reside until 1872, when he came to Hall County and settled in Doniphan Township. He homesteaded eighty acres of land, built a good house and barn, but sold it in 1883, and moved to Doniphan, where his death occurred February 15, 1887, at the age of seventy-four years. The mother is living and resides in Doniphan, Neb. Of their children William H. (enlisted in Company D, Fourteenth Iowa Infantry, was under Gen. Grant, and was killed at the battle of Pittsburgh Landing), Sarah (now Mrs. Burge, resides in Brown County, Neb.), Martha (now Mrs. W.J. Burger, resides in Doniphan), John and James (twins), Maria (now Mrs. Joseph Denman) and Rhoda (now Mrs. Collins, of Nemaha County, Neb.) John Creason was reared with a farm experience, and received his education in the schools of Iowa. He was married in Cass County, Neb., in 1870, to Miss Rutha Ballard, a native of Cedar County, Mo., and the daughter of John and Elizabeth (Goodwin) Ballard, natives, respectively, of Kentucky and Missouri. Mr. and Mrs. Ballard were married in Missouri and at an early day moved to Mills County, Iowa, where the mother received her final summons. Mr. Creason followed farming for himself on the homestead in Hall County, and this he has improved very materially since. He is a republican in politics and served as supervisor in 1889. He has been a member of the school board, has been school treasurer, and is a man who has the confidence and respect of all. He is a member of South Platte Alliance, and is also a member of the A.O.U.W., Doniphan Lodge No. 76. Mr. and Mrs. Creason are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church. To their marriage have been born eight children: Della (now Mrs. Stanger, resides in Littleton, Cal.), Charley, Harvey, Kittie, Maud, Fannie, Josie and Iva. Mr. Creason has seen the country when buffalo and antelopes were numerous, and is one of the pioneer settlers.
2003 © Kaylynn, for the AHGP