A-C D-F G-H J-L M-O P Q-R S-V W-Z
G through H
Robert Gillespie, assessor, Wood River, Hall County, Neb. This prominent and much esteemed citizen was originally from Virginia, where he was born in 1841, and is the son of James Gillespie, who was also a native of the Old Dominion, his birth occurring in 1812. The latter was a prominent tiller of the soil and died in Schuyler County, Ill., in 1862. He married Miss Matilda Printie, a native of Virginia, born about 1814, and to them were born eleven interesting children, nine of whom grew to maturity. Robert Gillespie grew to manhood in Schuyler County, Ill., was favored with such educational advantages as the district schools afforded, and was early initiated into the duties of farm life. He was married in Illinois, on September 20, 1870, to Miss Angeline Melvin, a native of Indiana, born in 1844, and the result of this union was three living children: Horton (born July 31, 1871), Charles P. (born August 27, 1873), Ella (born December 15, 1877, died July 21, 1888), Milley (born December 15, 1875, died August 22, 1888, both of diphtheria) and George R. (born September 15, 1883). Previous to his marriage, Mr. Gillespie had enlisted in the Union Army, Company F, One Hundred and Nineteenth Illinois Infantry, and served three years. He was in the Western Army and was in the battles of Nashville and Mobile, and was in Banks' defeat on the Red River Expedition, and in the final campaign in Missouri. He farmed in Schuyler County, Ill., and owned property in Huntsville, but he sold out and came west, locating in Jackson Township, Hall County, in 1873, on a soldier's homestead. He sold out in 1883, with the intention of going to the Pacific slope, but certain circumstances caused him to remain. He now owns 240 acres of land and has it well stocked. He was elected township assessor of Jackson Township for five years, and has had one appointment during the time and has had four elections in a Democratic township. He is a member of the A.F. & A.M. Blue Lodge, and the Farmers' Alliance. Mrs. Gillespie is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
GOODRICH, Calvin A.
Calvin A. Goodrich. It was in the spring of 1876 that Mr. Goodrich first became a resident of Hall County, Neb., having come here from Clinton County, Mo., whither he had moved from his native State of New York, in 1870. He was born in Jefferson County, N.Y., May 5, 1846, but was taken to Oswego County, by his parents, in 1859, and was there reared to a farm life and educated in the common schools. He was the youngest of four sons and five daughters, all save one now living and the heads of families, and July 7, 1861, at the early age of fifteen years, he joined the New York Cavalry, and after nine months' service was honorably discharged. On the first coming to Hall County, Neb., he homesteaded 160 acres of land and now has this in a good state of cultivation, well improved, with a fine young bearing orchard and fair buildings. He has followed carpentering to some extent throughout life, and for some time has been engaged in putting in pumps. He was elected and served seven consecutive years as county supervisor, and was re-elected to his eight term in the fall of 1889. He was married in Oswego County, N.Y., November 3, 1866, to Miss Lorinda McDaniel, a daughter of Madison McDaniel. She was born, reared and educated in Oswego County, and her union with Mr. Goodrich has resulted in the birth of five children: Charles J. (a successful school-teacher of Hall County), Fred W., Clara M., Harry E., and one other. Mr. and Mrs. Goodrich are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he belongs to the G.A.R. organization, and is a member of the Farmers' Alliance. His parents, William and Cyrena (Stillwell) Goodrich, were born in York State, and in addition to farming the father was engaged in contracting and building in Jefferson and Oswego Counties, until his death which occurred in 1859, his wife dying in the fall of 1886. He was a soldier in the War of 1812.
Charles Guenther is a skillful contractor and builder, residing at Grand Island, Neb., and possesses many of the sterling qualities which are characteristic of his nation. He was born at New Brandenburg, in the Dutchy of Mecklenburg-Strelitz, December 5, 1853, and is a son of Carl Johan Andreas and Fredericka (Liermann) Guenther, and spent their lives in their native land, the father being a farmer. Charles Guenther was the third of four children, three sons and one daughter, and until he attained his fifteenth year was a resident of Germany. He then concluded to seek a home in the New World, and bidding adieu to home and friends he came to the United States, and first located at Syracuse, N.Y., where he learned the trade of carpentering and building. At the end of two years he came to Grand Island, Neb., and subsequently spent seven years as a journeyman throughout the South, West and East, picking up a great deal of useful information. In 1878 he returned to Grand Island and has since been prominently identified with the building interests of this place, some of the structures which he has erected being the finest in the city. He was married in 1881 to Miss Margaretha Siek, who blessed their union with a son and daughter: Herman and Lily, but left them motherless in 1885, being buried in the Grand Island Cemetery. In 1886 Mr. Guenther wedded Miss Margaretha Eggers, of Holstein, Germany, and their union has resulted in the birth of a son, Carl. Mr. Guenther is a member of the A.O.U.W., the Liederkranz, and for some time has been treasurer of the fire department.
GUY, J. M.
J.M. Guy, farmer and stockman, Wood River, Neb. Mr. Guy occupies an advanced position among the representative farmers and stock men of Harrison Township. He is an Eastern man by birth and bringing up, but has been a resident of this Western country for many years. Born in Madison County, Ohio, in 1837, he is the son of Willis and Jane (Hankins) Guy. The father was born in the Old Dominion in 1800, and settled in, Madison County, Ohio, at an early date. He was a farmer and followed this occupation the principal part of his life. The mother was also a native of Virginia, born in 1803. To their marriage were born eight children, four of whom grew to maturity. The maternal grandfather was Asa Hankins, and the maternal grandmother was Nancy Lee, from the same part of Virginia as Gen. R. E. Lee, and related to him. J.M. Guy has two brothers living: Samuel, residing in Wood River, Neb., and Asa H., who is in Danville, Ill., and he has one half brother living, Joseph Guy, who is farming in Cameron Township, Hall County, Neb. Another brother, John, was killed in California in 1853. J. M. Guy remained in his native State until sixteen years of age, after which he went to Illinois and located in De Witt County, Ill. He worked by the month on a farm and entered the Union Army August 9, 1862, Company D, One Hundred and Seventh Illinois Infantry, and served three years. He was hurt at Munfordsville, Ky., and did no more active service. He returned to De Witt County after the war, engaged in tilling the soil, and in 1871 was married to Miss Mary S. Frazier, a native of Maryland, born in 1850. To this union were born six children: Sarah J., Susan M., Anna L., Martha E., Nellie F. and John Willis. Mr. Guy continued to farm in Illinois until 1873, when he came west and settled on his present farm, taking a soldier's homestead, and now has 480 acres of as good land as is to be found in the county. He raises and feeds stock, and is a prominent agriculturist of the township. He has received a pension of $4 per month since 1875, and this has since been increased to $10 per month. He is a member of the Farmers' Alliance, chaplain of Plainview, and in politics is a Republican. Mrs. Guy is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Perry Hack, farmer and stock-raiser, Alda, Neb. Hall County is acknowledged by all to be one of the best agricultural portions of the State, and as such its citizens are men of advanced ideas and considerable prominence. A worthy man among this class is found in the person of Mr. Hack, who settled on a farm in Nebraska in 1867, and homesteaded 160 acres in Section 30, Alda Township. He was born in Fountain County, Ind., in 1841, and is the son of George and Rhoda (Herald) Hack, natives of Kentucky. The father left his native State at an early day, settled in Indiana, Chicago being their nearest market, and there tilled the soil until his death, which occurred in 1862. The mother survived him a number of years. Perry Hack was reared to the arduous duties of the farm, received his education in the schools of Indiana, and in 1861 went to Shelby County, Iowa, where he engaged in farm labor. The following year he enlisted at Council Bluffs, Iowa, for three years in Company A, Twenty-ninth Iowa Infantry, and was mustered into service at that place. He was in the trans-Mississippi department, and participated in the battle of Helena, Little Rock, Saline Cross Roads and Jenkins' Ferry. He was wounded at Jenkins' Ferry and left on the battlefield. Mr. Hack remained at the Ferry for some time, and was then taken to Camden, Ark., Shreveport, La., and thence to Taylor, Tex. He was paroled and honorably discharged June 7, 1865, at Davenport, Iowa. He came direct to Omah, Neb., and there engaged as a teamster for William Palmer, or in team transportaton, freighting from Omaha to Julesburg for one year. In 1867 he took his claim, engaged in agricultural pursuits, and, although at this early period wild animals were numerous and Indians scoured the plains in numbers, Mr. Hack was unmolested. He was one of the very first settlers in the township and assisted in the organization of the county, of whose rapid development he has been a witness. He is not active in politics, but votes with the Democratic party, and is a man whose energy and perseverance would carry him through any and all difficulties.
Josiah Hall is one of the oldest, best-known and most highly respected residents of Hall County, Neb., and is a man whose life has been an active one, not without the substantial rewards of success. He was born in Steuben County, . Y., May 4, 1836, and is a son of John and Betsey (Rarick) Hall, who were also born in the "Empire State," moving from there to Pennsylvania, thence to Michigan (about 1855), locating in Tuscola County, of the latter State. Mr. Hall resided on a farm in that county until his deth, in 1863. His wife died in Pennsylvania about 1843. Josiah Hall is the elder of two childrn, the other member of the family being a sister, now he wife of John Morgan, resideing in Tuscola County, Mich. Mr. Hall was reared principally in Pennsylvania, and upon attaining manhood moved to Michigan, and from there enlisted in June, 1861, in Company A, Eighth Michigan Volunteer Infantry, for three years, and served until he was discharged for disability, in September, 1862. He was promote to the rank of corporal and participated in a number of important engagements and some sharp skirmishes. After receiving his discahrge he returned to Michigan and was there engaged in farming until his removal to Nebraska, in April, 1879. He is now the owner of 160 acres of fertile land, on which is a good grove and fair buildings. He has always been a Republican in politics and in the fall of 1889 was elected township supervisor, serving as one of the county supervisors. He has been married twice: First, in Tuscaola County, to Miss Elizabeth Case, who died some three years later, his second marriage taking place in Washtenaw County, Mich., August 12, 1869, to Amanda Morgan, a daughter of Charles and Lydia Morgan. Mrs. Hall was born in Ypsilanti, and was reared and educated there. She and her husband are the parents of two children: Chester J. (who died January 6, 1889, at the age of fourteen years) and Stephen J. (a lad of twelve years). Mr. Hall is a member of the G. A. R., the Masonic fraternity, and is one of the cuonty's honored and respected citizens.
HANKEY, A. B.
A. B. Hankey, manager of the White River Land & Cattle company, Meeker, Colo. This company purchased 386 acres of land from Mr. W. Powell, of Alda Township, Hall County, well watered by the north channel of the Platte River, on which they located a cattle-feeding ranch in September, 1887. The company has a ranch in Rio Blanco, Colo., consisting of 800 acres under fence. They feed from 600 to 1,000 cattle yearly on the ranch in Hall County, and buy from 60,000 to 70,000 bushels of corn, and from 300 to 400 tons of hay yearly, thus making a good market for the farmers. Mr. Hankey was born in Herefordshire, England, in 1856, was the youngest in a family of three children born to the marriage of J. B. and Isabella (Peel) Hankey, natives of England. The father died many years ago. The mother is still living in England. A. B. Hankey was educated in England and in 1883 came to British America, prospected for some time, and finally engaged in the stock business, which he has since continued. He sold cattle for export from England to America, and is one of the business men of the county. The company for which he works is composed of England shareholders, of whom two are in Colorado.
HARRISON, John W.
John W. Harrison, Harrison Township, post-office Alda, Neb. It is well known over the county that he whose name heads this sketch is among the most influential and public-spirited citizens of Harrison Township. He was born in Ohio April 4, 1839, and is the son of John and Grace (Lonsdale) Harrison, the former being a native of Yorkshire, England, and the latter a native of Scotland. The father was born at Thursk near Leeds, April 4, 1806, grew to manhood there, and was there married to Miss Lonsdale. One month after his marriage he emigrated to America, drifted to Cincinnati, and thence to New Burlington, Ohio, where the subject of this sketch was born, engaging in the merchandising business, laying the foundation for a fortune, but lost it all in the pork business in the crash of 1840 to 1843. He is still alive and resides in Richmond, Ind. Of the seven children born to his marriage four are still living, one in Illinois, two in Ohio, and our subject. The mother died in 1843. She was a member of the Methodist Church. The father of late years has been an active minister of the Methodist Episcopal conference of Indiana, until superannuated a few years ago. He was an active politician during the stirring time preceding the late war--anti-slavery from a deep conviction of justice and right, and Republican when that party was formed, and is still a prominent man of his county. He had two sons in the United States army, John W. and his brother. The latter enlisted in the Forty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. He was forage master of his regiment, was taken prisoner at Nashville, Tenn., was in Andersonville prison eleven months. He says he owes it to the Masons that he got through. He is now a physical wreck from exposure in the prison. John W. Harrison was a member of the One Hundred and Fifty-fourth Ohio National Guards. In 1864 he was in the one hundred days' service, and participated in the battle of New Creek, W. Va. He was a Douglas Democrat in the exciting campaign that ushered in the late war, believed in squatter sovereignty, but during and since the war has been a Republican. He attended Linden Hill Academy, New Carlisle, Ohio, in 1859 and 1860, commenced the study of the law, but owing to close application became a physical wreck. He began teaching in the public schools of Greene County, Ohio, and continued in that profession until he was thirty-nine years of age, excepting a few terms. He was a very successful teacher, having taught five years in one school in Harrison Township, Hall County. He was elected justice of the peace in Bath Township, Greene County, Ohio, for two consecutive terms, and at the election for the last term that he served out of the 303 votes cast he received 300, with the township strongly Democrat. He located here in 1872, and with his uncle (Peter Harrison) and his uncle's three sons, William, Richard and Charles Harrison, took land, 160 acres each, but becoming dissatisfied returned to Ohio in the spring of 1873, but returned to this State in the spring of 1883. The Harrisons at once took an active part in the settlement and formation of township and county, the township being named in honor of them. Peter served as county commissioner and represented the county in the Legislature one term, and his son, T. O. C. Harrison, filled the position of county judge, member of Legislature, and is now district judge of this district. William and Richard are known all over the county for their sterling worth. William served two terms as commissioner of supervisor. Charles having returned to Ohio, is living there now. John since his return has filled the office of county supervisor (or county commissioner) for two terms, and is now filling his third. He is now farming and raising stock. He was married in 1862, to Miss M. E. Louck, a native of Fairfield, Greene County, Ohio, born in 1843, and to them have been born two children: Eugene and Josephine (now the wife of C. A. Wheeler). Eugene married C. A.'s sister, Miss Rena Wheeler, members of a highly respected family originally from Ohio. Mrs. Harrison's parents, John Louck and Elizabeth (Burk), were born in Pennsylvania in 1811 and 1805, respectively; both are living. The grandfather of Mr. Harrison was born near Leeds, England, and had seven sons and one daughter; of the boys there were four ministers and one lawyer, the Hon. R. A. Harrison, of Columbus, Ohio, who refused the supreme judgeship, when tendered him by the (then) Gov. Ben Foraker of Ohio. The great-grandfather was born in England, was a sea captain, owned and navigated his own ship, was lost at sea. The Harrison family trace their lineage back to the same ancestors as President Harrison, Gen. Harrison, Cromwell's right hand bower, Cromwell the English liberator.
HARRISON, Hon. T. O. C.
Hon. T. O. C. Harrison, judge of the Ninth judicial district, is a man whose public services have been characterized by a noticeable devotion to the welfare of Hall County and the commonwealth, and he is also noted for his ability and fidelity in all positions of public trust, which have made a lasting impression upon those with who he has come in contact. He was born in Clinton County, Ohio, May 22, 1849, being one of eight children born to the marriage of Hon. Peter Harrison and Sylvania Lovekin, who were born, respectively, in England and Frederick City, Md. The father eimigrated to the United States at the early age of eighteen years, and in 1872 settled in Hall County, Neb., where he became exceptionally well and favoralby known. His many sterling qualities were soon recognized by the people, and he was at one time elected to represent Hall county in the State Legislature, and for several years was a member of the board of county commissioners, and was president of the Hall County Agricultural Society, in each and all of which positions he discharged his duties in a very efficient manner. His death occurred in Hall County, but his wife passed from life in Ohio. Judge T. O. C. Harrison first attended the public schools of Chester County, Ohio, and continued his study of Blackstone until March, 1873, when he came to Grand Island, Neb., and in the following June was admitted to the Hall County bar. The winter of 1875-76 he spent in California and Oregon, and upon his return to Grand Island was elected to the position of deputy county treasurer for one year, and in 1877 was appointed judge of Hall County, which position he held by re-election for two succeding terms, being judge of Grand Island for the same length of time. For a number of years subsequent to his retirement from office he was engaged in the active practice of his profession, and displayed much ability and sagacity in the management of his cases, so much in fact that his worth and excellence soon became well known, and in 1882 he was elected on the Republican ticket, to represent Hall and Hamilton Counties in the Nebraska Senate. In 1887 he was appointed district judge, and was elected at the succeeding election, the district being composed of the counties of Hall, Howard, Greeley, Valley, Garfield, Loup, Blaine, Thomas, Boone and Wheeler. His associate is Judge F. B. Tiffany, of Albion. Judge Harrison was united in marriage in 1879 to Miss M. Camille Laine, who was born in Madison County, N. Y. He belongs to Lodge No. 33, of the A. F. & A. M.; Mount Lebanon Commandery No. 11, K. T., and also the K. of P. and the A. O. U. W. Judge Harrison is thoroughly posted on the technicalities of law, is popular in his district, and is in every respect a representative citizen, and one who would give prestige to any community in which he resided.
HARRISON, James N., M. D.
James N. Harrison, M. D., is one of the foremost of the professional men of the county, and is acknowledged by all to be a physician of more than ordinary merit. He was born in Pittsburgh, Pa., in 1859, and since quite a young boy has made his own way in the world, and through his own unaided efforts has acquired a good literary and professional education, receiving his knowledge of books in general in the Pittsburgh Academy, and his medical education in the Jefferson Medical College of Philadelphia, Pa. For one year after graduating he practiced his profession in a hospital in that city, and then determined to take the advice which Horace Greeley gave to young men and "go west and grow up with the country." He at once entered upon a career of distiction and success at Wood River, Neb., and the large and paying practice which he now commands is fully deserved, for he is thoroughly versed in medical lore, puts his knowledge in practice and is cheerful and encouraging in the sick room, inspiring his patients and those about him with confudence in his skill and judgment. In truth, he possesses all the requisites which go to make an eminent physician.
William Harrod, farmer and stock-raiser, Doniphan, Neb. Born in the city of London, England, in 1842, Mr. Harrod was one of a family of twenty-two children, the result of the union of James Harrod and Sarah (Barnes ) Harrod, natives also of London, England, born in 1801 and 1819, respectively. The parents emigrated to America in 1857, settled in Rockford, Ill., and there followed agricultural pursuits and the dairy business. He is still living and makes his home with our subject. The mother died in Illinois in 1869. William Harrod was reared to farm life, secured a fair education in the schools of London, and was fifteen years of age when he emigrated to America. He first worked on his father's farm, and in 1862 enlisted in Company D, Seventy-fourth Illinois Infantry at Rockford, for three years, or during the war. He was mustered into service at the above-named place and was assigned to the Army of the Cumberland. He participated in the battle of Perryville, Ky., Stone River, and was taken with lung trouble, on account of which he was honorably discharded, at Murfreesboro, in 1863. He then engaged in farming and was married in Rockford, Ill., in 1867, to Miss Eldora Hilton, a native of Rhode Island, and the daughter of Robert Hilton and Harriet (Barningham) Hilton, natives of England. Mr. and Mrs. Hilton came to Amercia in 1839, settled in Rhode Island, moved from there to Illinois at an early day, and there the mother died in 1866. The father still resides in Illinois. Shortly after his marriage Mr. Harrod moved to Missouri, thence to Jasper county, Iowa, and in 1874 to Hall County, Neb., where he now has 200 acres in a good state of cultivation. He first lived in a large dug-out for a number of years and then erected a good house and barn. He has a fine orchard, and everything comfortable about his place. He is a Republicanm and socially is a member of the A. J. Smith Post No. 65, Doniphan. He and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and Mr. Harrod is superintendent of the Sunday-scchool, in which he takes a very great interest. He is a member of the Farmers' Alliance and a worthy man in every particular. To his marriage have been born eleven children, nine now living: Hattie, Susan (now Mrs. Coon, of Doniphan Township), Dora, William, James, Charley, Joseph, Edwin and Bertha. Mr. Harrod came to Nebraska, in 1874, during the grasshopper raid, had limited means, and consequently experienced many hardships. He, however, was not the man to be so easly discouraged, and is to-day one of the substantial men of the county.
Roger Hayes is a son of Dennis and Margaret (Sullivan) Hayes, who was born in County Clare, Ireland, in 1843, and when four years of age was taken to Canada by his parents, in which country the father died soon after their arrival. The mother afterward married Michael McNamara, and in 1864 they moved to the United States, and until 1870 were residents of Pennsylvania, then removed to Hall County, Neb., and located on a farm which now joins Wood River, and there they are still residing. Roger Hayes began doing for himself at an early age, working as a ship carpenter in Ontario, Canada, but in 1866 came to Wood River, Neb., and in the fall of 1868 came took up a claim of which he is still the owner. His property is valuable, for it is well watered by Wood River, which runs through it, every acre is tillable and it is enclosed by a good fence and is well stocked and improved with first rate buildings. In the month of May, 1869, Miss Ellen Neville became his wife, her birth occurring in Ireland in 1842. Owing to the early death of her parents, Michael and Mary (Canvanah) Neville, she was obliged to earn her own living when she was but a child, and at the age of thirteen years came to the United States to join her brothers and sisters, who had preceded her to this land, she being one of a family of seven: John, Mary, Patrick, Michael, Ellen, Margaret and Thomas. All are residents of the United States with the exception of John, who lives on the old homestead in Ireland. Mr. and Mrs. Hayes have become the parents of the following children: Mary B. (born February 29, 1870), Margaret (born November 14, 1871), Dennis (born March 3, 1873), Alice E. (born January 9, 1875), Stella A. (born December 14, 1876), Francis R. (born October 27, 1878), Delia E. (born May 24, 1883), Katie (born June 17, 1886), all of whom are living and in good health. Mr. Hayes has given his children good common-school educations and his daughter Mary has taught two terms of school. The family are Roman Catholics and in his political views Mr. Hayes is a stanch Democrat.
HEDEN, John J.
John J. Heden, farmer and stock-raiser, Shelton, Neb. The estate upon which Mr. Heden now resides, and to which he is giving such close attention in its cultivation, embraces 160 acres, a well improved farm, substantial and convenient buildings being a leading feature of these improvements. He is numbered among the thrifty foreign-born residents of the county, having been born in Mecklenburg, Germany, in 1834. His parents, Peter and Maria Heden, were natives of the same place as their son, and the father served as a soldier. John J. Heden emigrated to the United States alone, landed in New York, and later went to Michigan, where he remained some time. From there he went to Illinois, where he was engaged in various pursuits, and subsequently moved ot Pike County, Mo. He then returned to Illinois and was married to Miss Black, a native of Pike County, Ill., and the daughter of W. G. and Mary Black, natives of Pennsylvania and New York, respectively, and early settlers of Illinois. After his marriage Mr. Heden settled in Champaign County of that State, but two years later they retuned to Pike County, and there remained until 1873, when he located in Hall County, Neb., taking a soldier's homestead. In 1861 he enlisted in the Fifth Illinois Cavalry, Company G, and served in the Union army for over four years. He was in the following battles: Cotton Plant and Helena, Vicksburg, Memphis, and later went to Texas under Gen. Custer. This was about the close of the campaign, and he was mustered out in the Lone Star State. Mr. Heden does a general farming and stock-raising business, and is prominently connected with the agricultural affairs of the community. To his marriage were born six children: William J., Nellie F., Ethel D., Reuben P., Edward S. and Mary M. Mr. Heden is a member of and an officer in the Farmer's Alliance.
HEFFELFINGER, Jerome O.
Jerome O. Heffelfinger, proprietor of the Grand Island Soap Works, was born near Wooster, Wayne County, Ohio, October 17, 1859, and is a son of Michael M. and Elizabeth E. (Shamp) Heffelfinger, the former of whom was also born there. They are both still living and their present home is in Hastings, Neb. Jerome O. Heffelfinger was but three years old when he was taken by his parents to Henry County, Ill., and there he was reared to manhood on a farm, a portion of his early life being spent as a shepherd boy. At the age of seventeen years he began working in a live-stock yard in Geneseo, Ill, at $25 per month, and by honest and faithful service soon worked himself up to $50 per month, and these wages he received for four years. He then became an employee of Hiram H. Davis, for whom he worked in a soap factory near Geneseo for three years, and in 1885 he engaged in the manufacture of soap on his own responsibility at West Liberty, Iowa, but a year later he came to Grand Island, Neb., and founded the Grand Island Soap Works, of which he has been proprietor ever since. He has conducted his establishment very successfully, and he is now in a prosperous condition financially. He has proven himself to be a valuable citizen, and in all his business transactions he is the soul of honesty and at all times endeavors to do as he would be done by. In the month of September, 1882, he was married to Miss Malinda Ann Davis, a daughter of Hiram H. Davis, a former employer of Mr. Heffelfinger's. Mrs. Heffelfinger was born in Cambridge, Henry County, Ill., and he is a member of the A. O. U. W., and in his political views is a Republican.
Herman Hehnke is a member of the firm of Hehnke & Lohmann, contractors and builders of Grand Island, Neb., and was born in the village of Marne Ditmarschen, Holstein, German, July 25, 1840, being a son of Johan and Katrina (Eckhoff) Hehnke. He learned the carpenter's trade in his native town, and in the town of Hamburg completed his knowledge of the business. Being impressed with the idea that the New World offered better opportunities for a young man to make his way in the world, he, in 1881, came to the United States, settled at Grand Island almost immediately, and after working at his trade alone until 1885 he was joined by Mr. Lohmann, and they engaged in contracting and building, and have succeeded admirably in this undertaking, as they fully deserve to do. He has become well fixed financially, and is the owner of some exellent property in the town. He is honest and industrious, like all his countrymen, and although he has only resided in the county a short time, he is already considered one of her substantial citizens. He was married in Hamburg, Germany, to Miss Mary Shroeder, a daughter of Henry Shroeder, Esq., and by her had had a family of nine sons and one daughter, the following of whom are living: Herman, Otto, Hugo, Gustave, Carl, John and William, two sons and a daughter dying in infancy. The family worship in the Lutheran Church.
HELD, Hermann C.
Hermann C. Held is a prosperous jeweler of Grand Island, Neb., and by his superior management and rare business ability and efficiency has done not a little to advance the reputation the town now has as a commercial center. He was born in Haren on the Ems, in Hanover, Germany, January 20, 1842, and is a son of Hermann and Angela (Cantzen) Held, both of whom died in Germany, the former August 15, 1872, and the latter January 23, 1890. Hermann C. Held is the third of seven children born to them, six of whom are now living, and until fifteen years of age he was an attendant of the schools of his native land. He next served a four years' apprenticeship at the jeweler's trade, then worked two years as a jouneyman, after which he entered the service of the German army and served for about twenty months in the war between that county and Denmark, and in 1866 was in the war between Prussia and Austria. On June 27, 1866, he participated in the battle of Langensalza, and for meritorious service was presented two medals, which he still has in his possession. In 1867 he served six weeks in the Prussian army, and when not in military service he worked at his trade, and for a year and a half before coming to America he conducted a jewelry establishment for himself. In 1868 he came to America, embarking at Bremen October 10, and landing at New Orleans in the early part of November. He remained in this city for about one month, and in December went to Council Bluffs, Iowa, and in April, 1869, found himself in Omaha, Neb. Here he remained until the summer of 1872, working at his trade, but in September of that year he came to Grand Island and at once engaged in the jewlery business for himself, and has built up a splendid trade. He not only has the oldest jewelry establishment in the city, but it may be truthfully said of him that, with the exception of the lawyers and bankers, he has been in the mercantile business here longer than any present resident of the city. He is a first class jeweler, a reliable and upright man of business, and possesses the full confidence of the public. He is a member of the A. O. U. W., being one of the stockholders of the new building erected by that order, and he is also a member of the Liederkranz society. From 1883 to 1886 he was a member of the city school board. In 1876 he was married to Miss Minnie Wiese, a native of Holstein, Germany, born January 2, 1854, being a daughter of Peter Weise, who with his wife still resides in Germany. Mrs. Held came to America in 1873, and her union with Mr. Held has resulted in the birth of the following family: Adolph H. (born June 5, 1877), Minnie (born May 31, 1879) and Lizzie A. (born April 23, 1883.)
Noel Henderson is a son of John B. and Malinda J. (Williams) Henderson, and was born in Todd County, Ky., on November 5, 1836. His father was born in North Carolina bout 1805, and at an early day emigrated to Kentucky, where he was married , his wife being a native of that State, and there he reared a family of six children, although nine were born to him: John, James, Orin, Noel, Nancy J. and Larken W. Mrs. Henderson died about 1842, and Mr. Henderson afterward married Miss Rebecca Walker, their union taking place in 1844. The following family was born to them: Kate A., Mary E., Benjamin, Fountain and Susan. The father of these children died March 10, 1861. Noel Henderson began making his own living at the age of eighteen years, and in 1854 left Kentucky and removed to De Witt County, Ill, where he made his home until the breaking out of the Rebellion, and on August 24, 1861, he enlisted in the Union Army, in Company K, Forty-first Regiment, and served until September 13, 1864, when he was honorably discharged, at Springfield, Ill. In May, 1871, he came to Hall County, Neb., and located on the farm on which he is now living, which is one of the best in Hall County, well improved and fenced. He is one of the few farmers of the county who has demostrated the fact that Hall County will produce as good timothy hay and clover as can be grown anywhere, for in 1888 he obtained two and one-half tons to the acre from a meadow of forty acres. He has good buildings on his property and a great number of forest trees on and around his farm. He has given particular attention to stock-raising, and as a consequence has the very best grades of horses, cattle and hogs, in fact, whatever he undertakes to do is done well, and he is acknowledged by all to be one of the leading agriculturists of the county. Miss Matilda J. Schodley became his wife December 9, 1877, she being at that time a resident of Hall County, but a native of De Witt County, Ill., born January 5, 1846, a daughter of Samuel and Eliza (Kimler) Schodley, of Virginia, both of whom are deceased. Mr. and Mrs. Henderson have had three children born to them, but John N. is the only one now living, aged five years. Alfred D. and Mary M. are deceased. Mr. Henderson is a member of the A. F. & A. M. and the Farmers' Alliance. His wife is a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
HOCKENBERGER, Edward C.
Edward C. Hockenberger. Prominent among the many younger men of Hall County, Neb., who have taken front rank in public enterprises, stands the name of Mr. Hockenberger. He was born in Elmira, N. Y., July 18, 1862, and comes of German stock, inheriting many of the sterling principles of that race. His father, William Hockenberger, was born in Baden, and was a blacksmith and machinist by occupation, but after a few years' settlement in America he engaged in the brewing business, which he conducted on a rather extensive scale at Corning and Elmira, N. Y., and still later at Blossburg, Pa. He subsequently came to Nebraska, opened up a farm in Boone County, and here passed from life in 1887. He was an exemplary citizen, and gave to his children good educational advantages, coupled with thorough, practical lessons of industry, which have worthily marked their after lives. His wife was a Miss Charlotte Rohrig, who died in 1864. Edward C. Hockenberger has been a resident of Nebraska since 1878, and first resided at Columbus, where he was shortly after tendered a clerical position in the Union Pacific land office, and after about one year became clerk in the post-office of that place. Since 1880 he has resided in Grand Island, and for five years was assistant postmaster here, leaving this position to become cashier in the Wood River bank at Wood River, where he was engaged two years. At the end of this time he resigned his position to enter upon the duties of treasurer of Hall County, to which he was elected in the fall of 1887. As custodian of the county funds his management was so satisfactory that he was re-elected in 1889, a fitting compliment to his abiltity and sterling integrity. In all matters pertaining to the advancement of the interests of Grand Island and locality, he has given a cordial co-operation, and for some time he served as chief engineer of the fire dipartment of the town, and is a member of the school board. He is a stockholder in the Grand Island Improvement Company, and was one of the organizers of the building of the A. O. U. W. temple, of which society he is a member, and is a worthy Sir Knight in Lebanon Commandery of the A. F. & A. M. He also belongs to the M. W. of A. He has always been a pronounced Republican in his political views, and he and wife worship in the Presbyterian Church. He was married in 1887 at Wood River to Miss Alice Murphy, a very intelligent lady, and by her has a daughter named Franc (sic) Charlotte. Mrs. Hockenberger is a daughter of Joseph H. and Emma (Wright) Murphy, natives of Ohio.
Peter Holling is another example of what energy, industry and perseverance, when intelligently applied, have accomplished for those of foreign birth who have seen fit to locate within the limits of Hall County. Ever since locating here he has been connected with the farming and stock-raising interests of the communtiy, and he is also a director of the First National Bank of Wood River. He was born in the kingdom of Denmark August 10, 1844, being a son of Frederick and Katharine (Kock) Holling, both of whom were born in Denmark, but died in Germany, the former at the age of seventy-one and the latter when forty-eight years old. Five of their ten children grew to maturity. Peter Holling, after reaching an age wherein he could think and judge for himself, determined to emigrate to America, and, upon reaching New York, his worldly possessions consisted of about $15. He managed to work his way westward, and in time reached Clinton County, Iowa, where a sister was living, and here he was employed as a farm hand for about two years, after which he came to Nebraska, and in 1870 took a pre-emption claim close to Grand Island. Like all his countrymen he was thrifty and economical, and had soon saved enough with which to purchase a yoke of oxen, and immediately began farming, but in 1873 sold his land for $1,000 and purchased his present farm, consisting of 160 acres, but has since increased it to 700 acres. He has a forest of about 9,000 trees, besides some fruit trees, and has increased his stock from two cows to a herd of 125, and has some fine horses and swine. He is very thrifty and painstaking and is consequently very successful; in fact, no man in the county is better posted on agricultural matters than he. He is independent in his political view and is a member of the A. O. U. W. He was married in 1875 to Miss Annie Sievers, born in Germany in 1850, and by her has six children: John (who died at the age of five years), Emil, Gustave, Rose, Hattie and Johannes.
HOOPER, Hon. Edward
Hon. Edward Hooper, the present efficient Representative of Hall County, Neb., in the State Legislature, is a native of Wales, his birth occurring at Newport, Monmouthshire, South Wales, April 10, 1836, he being a son of Henry and Eleanor Sophia (Griffiths) Hooper, who were of English and Welsh extraction, respectively. The father was a founder by occupation and after learning his trade in England he worked at it in Wales, and was married there. Edward Hooper learned his father's trade, grew to manhood in his native land, and was married in Monmouthshire in 1855 to Miss Sarah, the daughter of John and Esther (Collins) Parcell, by whom he has two sons and three daughters: William Henry (who is associated with his father in business, and is an intelligent and enterprising young gentleman), Annie Sophia (now the worthy wife of A. H. Wilhelm, Esq., of Grand Island), Alice E. (wife of Judge Jospeh H. Mullin, whose sketch appears in this work), Charles A. (who is making a study of mechanics and engineering in St. Louis), and Lillian (who remains with her parents). In 1861 Mr. Hooper came with his family to American shores and for one year followed blacksmithing in Omaha, Neb., and tried his hand at farming, but in 1865 also abandoned the plow and sickle for the foundry and machinist business, and came to Grand Island, opening a blacksmith and machine shop. In 1878 he added the foundry business and his establishment is now being conducted on quite an extensive scale. He has always been alive to the growing needs of Grand Island, and has stood foremost among her citizens in support of all matters pertaining to the welfare of the city and county. Officially he has served as State representative one term; county treasurer, two terms; county commissioner, several terms; mayor of Grand Island, two terms; councilman, several terms, and served as treasurer of the last-named body between eight and ten years. He is one of the original stockholders of the Grand Island Improvement Company, and socially is a member of the Masonic fraternity, in which order he has advanced to the Chapter, and also belongs to the I. O. O. F., being a member of the Encampment.
HOWARD, Blake Clinton
Blake Clinton Howard is a master mechanic in the Union Pacific car shops at Grand Island, Neb. He was born near Java in Genesee County, N. Y., June 30, 1832, being the fourth of nine children born to Dwight Dimmick and Susan N. (Cleveland) Howard, descendants of old Connecticut and Massachusetts families, respectively. The Howards date their settlement in this country to a very early period--1634--and branches of the family took active parts in the Revolutinary War and the War of 1812. They were of English ancestry, Presbyterians in religious belief, and numbered among them many artisans. The mother belonged to the old American Cleveland family, whose history is very well known in America and numbered among her relatives our worthy ex-Presient Grover Cleveland and Moses Cleveland, the founder of Cleveland, Oho. Blake Clinton Howard and his sister, Mrs. R. M. Dane, of Mobile, Ala., are the only ones of their parents' family who are now living. He began business in New York at the early age of fifteen years in the Central Railway shops, but in 1852 he went to Illinois and located in Chicago, and became connected with the Illinois Central Railway as fireman, but at the end of one year he entered the shops, remaining two years. In 1854 he began running an engine on the road, and the following year became engineer of a passenger train between Wapella and Centralia. During the late Rebellion he was a decided Union man in his views, and was engineer of a train which ran through the hot beds of secession, and during this time had some thrilling experiences and some narrow escapes from death, being many times fired at by the Rebels, and in other ways annoyed and troubled. He made Centralia, Ill., his headquarters until January, 1868, when on account of ill health he left the road and removed west, accepting employment with the Union Pacific Railway as traveling engineer to the front, and this position held until July, 1871, when he was appointed division foreman and has since had charge of the shops at Grand Island. He was married in Clinton, De Witt County, Ill., April 3, 1857, to Miss Sarah Sawyer, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of T. E. Sawyer, Esq., of Clinton. Mr. Howard and his wife have reared a family of two sons and three daughters: George E. (who is in the hardware business at Wood River, and engineer by professin), Loretta A. (wife of William H. Hooper, of Grand Island), Clarence H. (assistant master-mechanic on the Missouri Pacific Railroad at St. Louis, Mo.), Emma (wife of George B. Bell, cashier of the Grand Island Banking Company) and Margaret A. Willie H., their third child, died in Centralia, Ill., and is there buried in the city cemetery. All these children are well educated and are a credit to the communities in which they reside. Mr. Howard is a Mason, and has served as master, high priest and eminent commander in this order, has taken all the degrees in the I. O. O. F., and belongs to the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, and has served as a delegate from his district in the first, second, eighth, eighteenth and twenty-fifth national conventions. He also belongs to the K. of H., and his wife is a member of the Rebecca and Eastern Star Lodges. They are both members of the First Presbyterian Church, and he is a stockholder in the Grand Island Improvement Company, the Grand Island Building & Loan Association, serving as president of the latter, and was a member of the school board eleven years, and was president of that body nearly half that time.
HOWE, Frank E.
Frank E. Howe, farmer and stock-raiser, Wood River, Neb. To the person who closely applies himself to any occupatin which he has chosen as his calling through life there can be but one result-that of success and a high position of esteem from those among whom he has made his home. And the case of Mr. Howe is no exception to the rule, for it has only been by industry and strict attention to business that he has attained to the situation which he now enjoys. He was born in New Hampshire in 1848, and his parents, H. and S. (Muzzy) Howe, were natives of the same State, the father born November 10, 1810, and the mother July 11, 1826. The former died May 31, 1863, and the latter followed him to the grave in 1864. They were the parents of six children, four sons and two daughters, five still living. The paternal grandfather was also a native of the Granite State. Frank E. Howe attained his growth in New Hampshire, and received a good common-school education. He remained in his native State until 1871, when he emigrated west, and settled in Nebraska. He came to this State with limited means, but with the determination that characterzes him, he went to work to grow up and build up with the country. That he has been successful is hardly necessary to add when one looks over his fine farm with its good buildings, etc., and the fine breed of stock that is to be found on his 280 acres. Mr. Howe was married in Hall County to Miss Anna Hileman, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1855, and their family circle has been increased by four children: Lloyd, Frank, Leo and Lola. Mrs. Howe is of German descent, and the daughter of Michael B. and Caroline L. (Crissman) Hileman. Mr. Hileman was born in Pennsylvania in 1818, and died in 1877. He went to Illinois in early life, and was there engaged in merchandising and keeping a hotel. He afterward came to Nebraska, where he passed the last days of his life. His wife is still alive.
HUNT, Mrs. S. A.
Mrs. S. A. Hunt, a much-respected and esteemed resident of Hall County, was born in the Keystone State in 1830, and is the daughter of Hawley and Cressa (Smead) Hammond. The father was born in 1807 (sic), and was in one of the battles on Lake Erie in the War of 1812. He was residing in Lee County, Iowa, at the time of his death, which occurred in 1860. He was a very successful farmer. His wife was born in Vermont in 1789, and died in 1865. They were the parents of twelve children, ten of whom grew to maturity, and seven still surviving. The paternal grandfather was a native of Vermont. Mrs. Hunt was next to the youngest child of the family, and was reared to womanhood in Lee County, Iowa. There she was united in marriage to J. N. Hunt, who was born in Ohio in 1833, and died in 1866. Their marriage was celebrated in 1862. Mr. Hunt followed merchandising while living in the city, but subsequently removed to a farm on account of his health. Two of the children born to them are now alive: Hannah (a popular school-teacher) and Josephine. Mrs. Hunt is the owner of 300 acres of land. She has displayed rare intelligence and abiltity in the conduct of her place, and is well posted on general subjects, discussing the current topics of the day with clearness and understanding.
As a man of business Mr. Huper's name and standing have become well-known throughout Hall County, and since July 1, 1887, he has been associated with Mr. Frank Lange in the hardware and stove business in the city of Grand Island. He was born in Bergenhusen, near Friedrichstadt, Schlewig, Germany, September 8, 1853, and is a son of Conrad Huper and Wiebke (Gosch), who are worthy citizens of Germany. Conrad Huper was reared in his native land, and there continued to make his home until July 15, 1873, when he emigrated to the United States, and almost immediately took up his abode in Grand Island, where he worked at the hardware business until 1887. Then he became associated with Mr. Frank Lange in their present business, which, owing to their strict attention to the details of the work, excellent ability and foresight, has built them up one of the largest and most prosperous trades in the county. Mr. Huper's career since coming to this country had been strictly honorable, and with each vital interest of this section he has been closely identifited, thereby winning the respect of all who know him. He is a stockholder in the Grand Island Improvement Company, and socially a member of the A. O. U. W., and the Platt-Deutsche Verein. He was married in Grand Island, December 31, 1882, to Miss Margaretha Denker, who was born February 16, 1860, near Marne, Hostein, Germany, being a daughter of John and Cathrina (Joehde) Denker. To their union a son and daughter have been born: Dora and Ferdinand. Dora was born October 20, 1883, and Ferdinand, October 26, 1885. They worship in the Lutheran Church.
HUSTON, Samuel C.
Samuel C. Huston is a member of the firm of Dill & Huston, real-estate and loan agents of Grand Island, Neb. These gentlemen are thoroughly reliable and methodical in their business transactions, and this has firmly established them in popular favor, as well as the fact that "honorable representation and fair treatment to all" is one of their principal mottoes. Mr. Huston was born in Painesville, Ohio, October 11, 1861, and is a son of Cyrus and Rhoda (Taylor) Huston, who were born in Pennsylvania and Ohio, respectively, the former's birth occcurring in 1825, and his death in Ohio in 1863, he having been a tiller of the soil throughout life. His widow, with her two children, came to Grand Island, Neb., in 1871, and here she is now living at the age of sixty years. Samuel C. Huston was an attendant of the schools of this town when a youth, but determined to acquire a better knowledge of the "works of books" than Grand Island afforded, and for this purpose entered the Nebraska City College, where he spent two years. The following year was devoted to surveying in Wyoming, after which he returned to his old home and the following six years were spent in clerking in the store of J. W. West. In 1887 he opened a confectionery store, in connection with Mr. Dill, and after successfully conducting this business for two years they embarked in their present enterprise, and although they have only continued a short time, they are already well and favorably known, and are kept constantly busy. Mr. Huston is a young man of push and enterprise, and is doing a great deal to advance the material interests of the city and county. He has always been a Democrat in his political views and his first presidential vote was cast for Grover Cleveland in 1884. He is a member of the Episcopal Church, and is one of the old settlers of Grand Island. His marriage, in November, 1887, was to Miss Anna A. West, a daughter of J. W. West. She was born in Delaware in 1867, and is the mother of one child, Samuel E. (born July 14, 1888).
2003 © Kaylynn, for the AHGP