1890 Hall County History

"Biographical and Historical Memoirs of Adams, Clay, Hall and Hamilton Counties"
Published 1890 by the Goodspeed Publishing Co., Chicago, Ill.
(Note: Includes Hall County Only)

HALL COUNTY

CHAPTER XXVI

(page 2)

Page 587 (con't)

    There have been many days when it looked dark, but there were few men who never gave up hope, and at the head of these stood the quiet, sturdy, conservative, yet tenacious Henry A. Koenig, who had wonderful faith in sugar from the start.
    From the best figures obtainable the mercntile business of Grand Island shows a magnicicent trade done in 1887, and an increase in volume of business of nearly 40 per cent over that done in 1886. The appended statistics are not accurate, as it is an impossibility to procure strictly reliable information, but from a careful canvass of the business houses of the city the following figures can be relied upon as approximately correct.
    The amount of business done in 1887 was: Jewelry and silverward, $60,000; books and stationery, $32,000; hardware, wholesale and retail, $300,000; dry goods and clothing, $545,000; groceries and provisions, $840,000; liquors and cigars, wholesale and retail, $300,000; furniture and household goods, $230,000; agricultural implements, $248,000; lumber, $314,000; muscellaneous, $400,000; total, $3,269,000. These figures do not include manufacturers' products manufactured and shipped from this point. Were these items added, the grand total would exceed the sum of $5,000,000, a showing that speaks volumes for the trade and commerce of this pushing, thriving city. In 1888 an increase of about fifteen per cent on the above figures was noticeable, with a lighter increase in 1889 over that of the former year.
    The amount of money paid the general government at Grand Island amounted in 1887 to nearly $200,000. The need of a suitable building for transacting the business was so manifest that a bill providing for the erection of a federal building at this point has been introduced.
    The source of revenue and the amounts received in 1887 are as follows: Brewers' stamps, $4,428.40; cigar manufactories, $1,575.20; wholesale beer, $200; wholesale liquor, $200; retail liquor, $602.40; drug stores, $224; manufactured tobacco, $240; United States land office receipts, $173,302.80; post office receipts, $11,260.82, for a total of $91,933.62. In 1888 and 1889 the total revenue was found to warrant the erection of United States offices here.
    The business of he railroads entering Grand Island is annually growing larger and more profitable. Although wholesaling and manufacturing areyet in their infancy, the receipts of freight for 1887 show an increase of 19,686 tons over those

Page 588

of 1886, and he shipments an increase of 10,755 tons, making a total increase in the year's business over 1886 of 30,441 tons. The total receipts and shipments of freight in 1887 amounted to 11,295 car loads. This extensive freightage has been exceeded during the last two years, and the prospects for 1890 are still more flattering.
    The hotels of the city were vry modest in the days of 1866. The Nebraska House was built that year by Michelson. The first depot was a large canvass building, and near by was the small boarding house for railroad men. In the fall of 1866 the old railroad eating-house was erected, and, with some additions, continued in use until 1875, when it was moved away in two sections by Fredde Hedde and P. Touhy and the Union Pacific Hotel erected. This hotel is the first large structure ever erected in Hall County. IN 1869 or 1870 the Tremont was opened. In 1878-79 Hugo Hald was proprietor of the Travelers' Home. The hotels of Grand Island in 1885 were the Pacific, 40 rooms; the Jordan, 35; the Commercial, 30; the Estes, 30 (opened in 1880); the National, 22 ; the Clarendon, 20, the Colorado, 18, the Omaha, 14, the Farmers' 14; the City 12; and Power's, 10. the New England was re-opened in November by Jordan. Since 1885 the Cottage House on Plum Street, and the Wisconsin House on Front Street, have been opened. The old Grand Union Hotel was refitted in February, 1885, and opened by Mr. Baker, under the name of Commercial Hotel. The brick house erected by Mr. Dunphy is known as the Dunphy House. The Palmer House, on Second Street, is now the leading hotel. It was built in 1887 at a cost of about $80,000, and is conducted by Eno & Moulton. This house is an index to the progress of he city. It is modern in arrangement and equipment, and well managed.
    The Grand Island land office was established December 6, 1869. The first receiver appointed in 1869 was followed by Jesse Turner, who was accidentally shot December 18, 1872. Joseph Fox was appointed to secceed, who served until Mr. Anyan was appointed April 23, 1877. He was re-appointed July 7, 1882, and served to July, 1886, when the present receiver, A. H. Baker, qualified.
    Eward W. Arnold was appointed first register in 1869, succeeded by M. B. Hoxie, now of Omaha. Christopher Hostetter was appointed to succeed Mr. Hoxie, and served up to August 15, 1885, when John G. Higgins was commissioned.
    Elbert P. Brewster has been clerk in the register's office since April, 1888, succeeding S. R. Crego, who held the office for only a few months. Miss Higgins and Frederick Conrad held the positions for some time, the latter succeeding Charles Brininger, who was register's clerk for about five years. William Campbell preceded Mr. Brininger and succeeded Jay E. White, the first clerk.
    The clerks in the receiver's office were H. J. Gorman in 1869, succeeded by Frank Sears, David Ackerman, Jr., followed Mr. Sears, whose successor, Eli A. Barnes, was appointed in March, 1886.
    The first office was built in 1869 by E. W. Arnold for the purpose of United Staes land office. The house is on the south west corner of Third, and this land district embraces the following named counties and parts of counties: Colfax, Platte, south part of Boone and Township 20 in the north part, Greeley, Nance, Merritt (sic), Howard, Sherman, Valley, Buffalo, Hall north of Platte River, Custer as far as Range 20, Dawson as far as Range 20 and part of Polk. The area unsold is about 30,000 acres.
    Grand Island is sungularly well endowed in religious societies. there are no less than twelve distinct organizations here, and unorganized representatives of others. The Catholic, Presbyterian, German Luthers, German Evangelical, Methodist Episcopal, Trinity Methodist, First Baptist, Immanuel Baptist, Congragational, Christian and Liberal Association.
    The Catholic Churh, the early history of which is given in the sketch of Wood River, was the first establishe at Grand Island, in 1866 or 1867. the old building was destroyed in the storm of 1870 and never rebuilt. In 1876 the congregation numbered about thirty persons and Father Ryan was pastor.
    On December 23, 1876, a meeting was held to consider the question of building a new Catholic

Page 589

Church. Joseph Jeneman presided, with James Cleary, secretary, and P. Dunphy, treasure. they with Messrs. Kraft, Windolph, McCarty and Doberstein were appointed a building committee. In July the building was completed and dedicated. The new church, one of the largest church buildings in the State, was dedicated July 7, 1889, by Vicar-General R. Shaffel, representing the bishop. Dr. E. S. O'Callaghan preached the serman. the ceremonies of dedication were participated in by Revs. Wolf, the pastor; Davos, of Spaulding; Daxacher, of Omaha; Walshe, of Lexington; Lynch, of Wood River; Mueller, of St. Libory; Stuer, of Cognice, and Horek, of Kearney.
    In April, 1876, the work of building a Catholic Church in Howard County, near the line of Hall County, on the St. Paul road, was begun.
    Rev. Richard Phelan, who on July 4, 1880, took charge of St. Mary's Parish, Grand Island, found fifty-two families belonging to the congregation, while at St. Mary's, near Wood river, were seventy-two families. Rev. W. Wolf, V. F., is pastor. The churches at Doniphan and at Kearney belonged to St. Mary's parish in 1889, and are in the diocese of Omaha. The hospital of St. Francis is mainly supported by the congregation of St. Mary's, who also maintain the denomination schoold, while contributing a full share to the support of the common-school system.
    The Presbyterian Church was founded August 12, 1869, by Rev. Sheldon Jackson, with five members. Robert Mitchell and Samuel Hindman were elected ruling elders. Occasional services were held until Febrary, 1875, when Mr. Griffes gave revival services and added five members to the society, and R. Mitchell, B. G. Rice and S. D. Rannels were elected ruling elders. In August of this yer, Rev. George Hutchinson came as stated supply and remained nine months. Rev. Samuel Wyckoff is the present pastor.
    The Baptist Church was organized in 1870 by Rev. J. N. Webb, State missionary, with five members, increased to forty members in 1876. The first Baptist Church building, dedicated September 16, 1888, stands on Seventh and Sycamore Streets. It is built in the form of a Greek cross, showing four gables, a tower 103 feet in height and a minaret 71 feet. The main audience room, an amphitheater 54x43 feet, may be connected with the Sunday-school rooms. The building is 54x72 feet, and claims a seating capacity of 750. Rev. L. W. Terry is the present pastor.
    Immanuel Baptist Church is a modern organization-an outcrop of the first Baptist society. No sooner was organization completed, than the work of church building was entered upon, and to-day a very neat structure, modern in style, exists. The pastor is Rev. Fred. E. Britten; clerk, E. E. Cole; treasurer, L. M. Bryan; deacons, N. T. Estes and W. A. Whitney; trustees, J. F. Baillie, C. J. Keith and S. C. Shipman; superintendent of Sunday-school, J. F. Baillie; secretary of Sunday-school, Clarance Stevens; president of missionary circle, Mrs. E. Stearns, and president of aid society, Mrs. W. J. Estes.
    St. Stephens' Protestant Episcopal Church was organized in 1871, and a church building completed and dedicated Septembr 3, that year, by Bishop Clarkson. R. C. Jordan was warden; D. T. Jamieson, junior warden; C. W. Thomas, George E. Wilson and Frank Ingram, vestrymen. In the five years ending July, 1876, the membership increased from ten to sixty-five. In 1888 the project of erectin a new church house was considerd and approved. Work was at once entered upon, and the building dedicated in July, 1889. The material is red Colorado sandstone, with gray Kansas stone in foundation. Rev. John Lyon, who was nominated for school superintendent in early years, was one of the first preachers of this society.
    The Methodist Eposcopal Church was organized in February, 1872, by Rev. J. S. Smith. The class worshiped in the Baptist Church until March, 1874, when they obtained permissin to worship in the court-house. On September 27, of this year, Bishop Bowen dedicated the firt house of worhip. James Hall, H. J. Miller, Dorr Heffleman, W. H. West and J. W. Irwin were elected trustees. Reb. J. S. Donaldson was pastor in 1876 when the class comprised thirty-five members. The class has not made the same progress here as have

Page 590

other demoninations; yet it is stong in numbers and very aggressive. Few if any strangers arrive in the city, who do not receive a cordial invitation to attend services on Sunday. Rev. C. W. Savage, the pastor in 1889, was succeeded by Rev. W. H. H. Pillsbury.
    Trinity Methodist Episcopal Church is one of the recent additions to religious societies. Their new church on the corner of sixth and Sycamore Streets speaks plainly of the earnestness of this society. The church was organized August 7, 1887, with 132 members and 19 probationers, with Reb. H. L. Powers, pastor. C. H. Bailey, president of the Epworth League; Lenora Birney, secretary; J. W. B. Brown and A. A. Linn, committeemen, are active workers in this society.
    The United Brethren Society may be said to date back to 1872, when Rev. Joseph Wesley came to Grand Island and organized a class here, one at Alda and one ner the billage of Cairo. Among the first members at Grand Island were Mr. Wesley, wife and son; A. B. Vider and wife, wesley Miller and wife, Eugene Miller, Charles Ridell and wife, and others. The united Brethren Society completed organization in 1876, and their house of worship was dedicated July 2, that year, by Bishop Glossbrenner and Rev. Joseph Wesley, the pastor. the work of building was begun by Reb. Jacob Brmser in 1875. In 1886 the society at Cairo erected a church house. The pastors who attended here in the order of service ar named as follows: Joseph Wesley, Charles Ridd, J. J. Lohr, C. C. Kellogg, J. T. Squires, J. M. Witters, D. W. Smith, ----Jones, ----Dean and Jacob Bremser. The names of many connected with this society in early years are not now remembered.
    The Congregational Church reported eighty members in January, 1890, or an addition of thirty-nine members during the year 1889. T. C. Shaw was chosen clerk; Andrew Cosh, treasurere; J. W. Alden, deacon; Thomas Robinson, trustee; T. C. Shaw, chorister, and Mrs. Shaw, organist. The present officers are B. F. Merrill, A. H. Bock, I. M. Ridlon, F. Randall and J. W. Alden, deacons; Gavin Geddes, Mrs. E. A. Stevern, Thomas Robinson, F. W. Barber, H. E. Clifford and Andrew Cosh, trustees; T. C. Shaw, clerk; Andrew Cosh, treasurer; T. C. Shaw, chorister; Mrs. T. C. Shaw, organist; John Doane, Sunday-school superintendent; E. A. Stevens, assistant superintendent; James Nicholson, secretary; Miss a. Geddes, assistant sevretary; Robert Geddes, Jr., treasurer. Rev. W,. L. Demorest, pastor in 1889, was succeeded by Reb. John Doane. The church building was erected in 1888.
    St. Paul German Lutheran Church may be said to date back to 1884. In May of that year Rev. William Rosentengle, of the Lutheran Church of Nebraska City, was called to Grand Island as first pastor of the St. Paul German Evangelical Luther Church. Mr. Lenker was then preacher in English. On July 6 the house of worship, 30x40 feet, was dedicated.
    The Salem German Lutheran Church on the east side was struck by lightning July 15, 1888. The spire was shattered and some damage done to the main building. Reb. A. Baumhoefner is pastor.
    St. Paul English Evangelical Luthern Church was completed and dedicated March 14, 1886. The building committee of the Lutheran church in August, 1885, comprised George H. Thummel, W. A. Heimberger, C. E. Lykke, George H. Hunter, Benjamin O. Anderson and J. N. Lenker. The corner-stone was placed October 3, 1885. Rev. A. B. Schrader was the last pastor. In January, 1890, the church was without a supply.
    The Fifth Street German Evangelical Church is presided over by Reb. O. Radinski.
    The North Sweden First Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church, of Howard County (eighteen miles northwest of Grand Island), was dedicated in January, 1885.
    The Salvation Army had headquarters in the old Baptist building at the close of 1888.
    Ben Hogan, of Allegany Valley notoriety, preached here in November, 1885. Revs. J. C. H. Reed, Williams, Smith and Thone supported Mr. Hogan, joined in the services and welcomed the repentant sinner. The earlier life of this evangelist was anything but godly, as the records

Page 591

of Tarport, Bradfor, Oil City and other Pennsylvania oil centers point out.
    In the pioneer history of Grand Island City a few of the early school teachers are named and something said of their lives in Nebraska. Shortly after the town was platted a small school-house was erected, which continued in use until late in 1870. The new school building was opened September 19, 1870, and the dedication took the form of a ball or dance, with supper at the Railroad Hotel. The schools of the city in 1876 were presided over by B. F. Bellows, assisted by Miss Meth. The students examined in the high schoold were H. P. Clark, H. C. Howard, C. G. Hurford, S. C. Huston and F. W. Cramer; and the famle student, J. L. Bacon. J. Heffleman, A. E. Hooper, E. E. Howard, A. M. Hurford, M. C. Hurford, H. Shoemaker, H. K. Van Pelt, E. L. Watson and A. Wiseman. The city teachers employed in August, 1877, were Henry Garn, Mellie Butterfield, Belle Ferguson and Mrs. Cammiel Ballou Laine. O. A. Abbott, C. E. Lykke and John Wallichs were elected trustees in April, 1878, and William Anyan, T. J. Hurford and B. C. Howard were appointed to act with the trustees as school building committee. The proposition to build a school-house received 141 votes, and was opposed by five votes. The contracts for the new house were sold in June for $17,000, and the beginnings of the city school sytem, as it now is, were made.
    The enumerations of school membership at Grand Island in 1879 was 525; in 1880, 667; in 1881, 835; in 1882, 938; in 1883, 1,074, and in 1884, 1,313. There were five distinct buildings devoted to school purposes nad one school-house completed that year. In 1885 there were 1,515 children enrolled.
    When the south side school-building was erected in 1878, it was supposed that the requirements of education here would be fully met until 1888. The supposition was erroneous. Befor the close of 1886 and addition to the old building, a new eight-room building on the north side, a two-room building on the west side and the old school-house in the eastern part of the city were all in use. Twenty-five teachers were employed. In 1884 the first high-school class of five graduated, and in 1885 and 1886 there were seven graduates. The total enrollment in 1886 was 1,116, and the estimate of expenditures for school purposes in 1887 was placed at $25,000. In June, 1887, a committee of the Liederkranz Society was appointed to prepare and obtain signatures for a petition to the school board, asking for the teaching of German in the public schools. L. Veith, H. C. Held, Ad. Egge, Frederick Hedde, George Cornelius and Henry Viergg formed this committee.
    The first annual commencement of the high school was held in June, 1883, and the fourth in June, 1886. In 1887 a small class graduated, while the class of June, 1888, comprised Kate A. Hurley, Clara D. Pierce, Mary E. Brennan, Hattie M. Clendenin, Carrie L. Fraser, Nellie M. White, Nellie M. Serviss, Ada C. Laine, Jennie Oppenheimer and John F. Mathews. The present school buildings are the Dodge, Howard, Platt, Wasmer and Evans. The Catholic schoos here claim a large enrollment. The Grand Island Business College, A. M. Hargus, principal, is carried on in the Academy of Music building.
    The social advantages of Grand Island are all that could be desired, and to a great extent the line between rich and poor is very lightly drawn. There are social and literary clubs, and civic and benevolent societies, which are all well supported and attended. The Masons, Odd Fellows, Knights of Pythias, Ancient Order of United Workmen, Knights of Labor, Grand Armey of the Republic, Brotherhood of Railroad Engineers, Modern Woodmen of America, Good Templars, and Bricklayers, all have organizations here.
    Aslar Lodge No. 33, A. F. & A. M., the first lodge of that order, was organized October 5, 1870, with R. C. Jordan, W. M.; O. A. Abbott, S.; G. E. Wilson, S. W.; S. J. Saxe, S. D..; G. H. Thummel, J. W.; Elias Munch, J. D.; P. H. Baylor, tresurer, and W. Loyd, tyler. The charter was granted June 26, 1871, when George Thummel was master; George E. Wilson, S. W., and P. H. Baylor, J. W. At this time the number of members was seventeen, increased to sixty-one by July, 1876. The office of worshipful master has been filled by the

Page 592

following named members: R. C. Jordan, one year; George H. Thummel, tow years; George E. Wilson, one year; O. A. Abbott, one year; William A. Deuel, two years; W. H. Platt, one year; O. A. Abbott, one year; R. C. Jordan, two years; D. Ackerman, Jr., one year; C. L. Howell, one year; B. C. Howard, one year; M. Murphy, one year; Charles F. Rollins, three years; John D. Moore, one year, and Charles Schlotfeldt, two years. O. A. Abbott served as secretary for three years; C. W. Thomas, one year; H. P. Makely, one year; W. H. Platt, one year; C. L. Howell, one year; D. H. Veiths, three years; Nathan Platt, one year; E. A. Barnes, two years; Oscar Wells, one year; J. B. Ferguson, one year, and C. W. Brininger, three years. The membership in January, 1890, was 162. Six deaths had been reported up to January 23, 1890-those of Abel Parkhurst, H. N. Chapman, Edward hirst, George E. Wilson, A. L. Stephenson and David Baillie.
    Deuel Chapter No. 11, R. A. M., was chartered November 14, 1873, with R. C. Jordan, P. G. M. and P. G. H. P., as high priest; W. A. Deuel, K.; George E. Wilson, scribe, and sixteen members. In 1876 there were twenty-seven members. An organization existed before charter, with E. B. Wood, H. P., and B. C. Howard, scribe. At the beginning of 1890 B. Berry was H. P., with Ed Hooper, B. C. Howard, J. D. Moore and Monroe Taylor filling the other offices in chapter order.
    Kilwinning Lodge No. 1, A. & A. S. R., dates back to 1871, when G. H. Thummel was chosen T. P. G. M., and B. B. Kelley, grand secretary. Many of the pioneer Masons of the city belong to Kilwinning Lodge, and among the officers at the beginning of 1890 were C. F. Rollins, Lafayette Myers, M. Murphy and D. H. Vantine.
    Mount Lebanon Cammandery No. 6, K. T., was organized in 1874, with R. C. Jordan, commander; George H. Thummel, Eli A. Barnes, B. C. Howard, G. P. Dean, C. C. Robinson, C. W. Thomas, J. D. Moore, A. C. Lederman and others hitherto named, are still members of this organization.
    Grand Island Lodge, No. 22, I. O. O. F., dated bacek to 1871. Louis Engel was then noble grand and Edward Hooper, secretary. In 1872 R. Frohberg and Edward Hooper cilled the noble grand's chair, with J. Edward Meth, secretary for the first half year, and George G. McKenzie fo the second. In 1873 J. E. Meth presided, and P. Petersen was secretary. At the beginning of 1890 John Alexander was D. D. G. M.; S. J. Bateman, N. G.; C. F. Lebatt, V. G., and John Nicholson secretary.
    An encampment of Odd Fellows was founded here and work carried on regularly for some time. The officers of the Encampment elected in February, 1886, were Henry Renting, C. P.; C. Rief, S. W.; John Murray, J. W.; R. H. McAllister, H. P.; C. L. Haux, scribe; H. D. Boyden, treasurer; W. R. McAllister, N. H. Hurford and C. W. Best, trustees. The Grand Lodge of I. O. O. F. met at Grand Island in October, 1889. Of the 159 lodges in the State, or 7,030 members, 134 lodges were represented.
    The Knights of Pythias organized November 17, 1885, with G. B. Lannius, P. C.; H. B. Wilson, G. C.; V. Taylor, V. C. C.; Dr. E. Stringfellow, prelate; W. N. Peterson, secretary; A. C. Lederman, treasurer; E. W. Justice, M. F.; James Ferguson, M. A.; Elmer Gaylord, J. G., and H. C. Miler, I.G. The name given to the lodge is Nysian Lodge No. 46. At the close of 1889 W. H. Hooper was P. C.; A. C. Lederman, C. C.; J. H. Wilsey, V. C.; A. B. Harriot, prelate; C. T. Watson, K. of R. and S.; W. Dickerson, M. F.; C. T. Watson, M. E., and John Bingman, M. A. this lodge to-day comprises many leading citizens and is reported to be enjoying more than usual prosperity.
    The officers of Concordia Branch 512, C. K. of A., elected December 28, 1888, were James Cleary, president; W. R. Stevens, V. P.; J. J. Klinge, R. S.; T. P. Lanigan, S. at A., and Geroge Eberl, sentinel; Rev. W. Wold was spirtiual director.

Page 593

Grand Island Lodge No. 1, A. O. U. W., was instituted July 12, 1882, by G. M. W. Sackett, of Missouri. The carter members were A. S. Combe, Henry Wood, F. A. McElroy, A. S. Patrick, E. M. Miles, R. D. Muton, E. Weil, D. E. Bauder, George Fleming, George W. Ecker, J. H. Fowler, Dr. H. J. Ring, Dr. A. L. Stevenson and H. J. Hill. At the close of 1889 David Alexander, George C. Roys, W. A. Heimberger and Andrew Cosh were the leading officers of this lodge.
    Grand Island Legion No. 9, Select Knights, A. O. R. W., is made up from the membership of the lodges. The official list at the close of 1889 embraced the following-named officers: G. P. Deam, J. W. Liberinghouse, G. Roys, O. H. Tracy, J. F. Holliwell, J. Waters, H. Wheeler, S. Kent and Robert Geddes.
    Harmony Lodge No. 37 (German), A. O. U. W., elected the following-named officers in December, 1886: Fritz Kruse, H. Juergens, D. Heuck, Henry Elsner, R. Freitag, George Bartenbach, H. Hehuke, F. Lohmanm, H. Besheld, H. Kreuger and J. C. C. Hann. At the beginning of 1890 Henry Garn, H. D. Hennings, Petet Windolph, D. Mathiesen, and August Meyer were the officials.
    Charity Lodge No. 91, A. O. U. W., was presided over by J. W. Freeman, P. M. W.; J. F. Holliwell, M. W.; William B. Coggeshall, recorder, and Andrew Cosh, receiver.
    The A. O. U. W. Building Association was orgainized in June, 1889, with J. D. West, president; John Wallichs, vice-president; D. C. Zink, treasurer; George B. Bell, secretary; A. H. Baker, G. H. Caldwell, D. C. Zink, G. P. Dean, George Bartenbach, H. D. Hennings and the officers named, directors. The resolution to erect a building 44 x 110 adjoining a building of similar size and architecture, to be erected by Wallichs, was carried.
The resolution to erect a building 44x110 adjoining a building of similar size and architecture, to J. D. Moore Lodge No. 134, Brotherhood of Railroad Brakemen, was organized in September, 1885.
    Lyon Post No. 11, G. A. R., Department of Nebraska, was organized August 29, 1877. The following roster in January, 1890, comprised the following names:

	
						
Past Dept. Commander General
John M. Thayer, 1st Neb. Inf.

Past Post Commanders

						
Giles H. Bush 
D.C. Crawford, 14th Pa. Inf.
J. O. West 
Henry Harrison, 10th Ill. Inf.  
John M. Thayer, 1st Neb. Inf.
N. H. Hurford, 62nd Ohio Inf.  
George F. Ryan, 60th N.Y. Inf. 
J. W. Liveringhouse, 30th Ind. Inf.  
J. W. Freeman, 12th Pa. Cav.

Present Officers

						
Chester L. Howell, P.C., 13th N.Y. Inf. 	David Ackerman, S.V.C., 28th Pa. Inf. 
George P. Dean, J.V.C., 10th Mich. Cav. 	W.H.H. Pillsbury, Chap., 17th Me. Inf.  
Edward Searson, Adj't, 148th Pa. Inf. 		George F. Ryan, Q.M., 60th N.Y. Inf.  
David Bowen, Surg., 139th Ill. Inf. 		F.P. Cowee, O.D., 36th Ohio Inf. 
Frank Gardner, O.G., 100th Ill. Inf.  		C.C. Dodson, S.M., 74th Ill. Inf. 
F.G. Lockwood, Q.M.S., 13th Ia. Inf. .

Members

						

Abbott, O.A., 9th Ill. Cav. 			Alter, I.R., 8th Ohio Inf.  
Andrews, J.H., 76th Ind. Inf.  			Atkinson, Thomas, 2nd Ill. Cav.  
Avery, Z., 23rd Mich. Inf. 			Ball, W.J., 87th Ind. Inf.  
Becker, Herman, 3rd Wis. Inf.  			Beemer, J.W., 10th Minn. Inf.  
Bennett, Wm., 3rd Mich. Inf.  			Bentley, C.F., 142nd Ill. Inf.  
Bevier, H.K., 72nd N.Y. Inf.  			Bohne, A.H., 33rd Ill. Inf. 
Burcher, Tho. B., 50th Pa. Inf. 		Burke, Martin, 27th Wis. Inf. 
Burket, H.L.,13th Ill. Inf. 			Caldwell, Geo. H., 140th Ohio Inf 
Chamberlain, C.J., 34th Ill. Inf. 		Clark, James, 10th Mich. Art. 
Connell, J.T., 1st Ill Art.  			Corbin, E. Countryman, E.H., 14th Wis. Inf.  
Currier, W.C., 4th Mich. 			Curtis, E.L., 75th Ill. Inf.  
Custard, D.C., 166th Ohio Inf. 			Davidson, M.A., 108th Ill. Inf. 
Davis, J.W., 89th Ill. Inf.  			Davis, W.D., 13th Ia. Inf.  
Depue, N.M., 13th Ill. Inf. 			Depue, J.D., 105th Ill. Inf.  
Deuel, Wm., 121st Mich. Inf. 			Dennon, G.W., 149th Ohio Inf.  
Dobson, David, 66th Ind. Inf.  			Dings, David, 191st N.Y. Inf. 
Drew, F.L., 1st Me. Inf.  			Evansizer, R.D., 196th Ohio Inf. 
Everett, Geo. E., 44th Mass. Inf.  		Flottman, August, 1st Mo. Art. 
Foutz, W.P., 5th Ia. Cav 			Frey, Geo. W., 93rd Ill. Inf. 
Gahan, M.J., 13th N.Y. Art. 			Gardner, B.F., 15th Ill. Inf. 
Gilchrist, Wm., 2nd Ill. Cav.  			Gillette, H.J., 21st Ind. Cav.  
Grabach, John, 3rd Ohio Cav.  			Greul, Paul, 44th Ill. Inf. 
Halstead, Jonathan, 99th Ill. Inf. 		Halstead, Wm. J., 26 Ill. Inf. 
Hamilton, D.R., 38th Ohio Inf. 			Handy, C.B., 14th Mich. Inf.  
Harrison, W.H. 					Harrison, R.L., 2nd Ohio Art. 
Harris, R.B., 10th Ky. Inf.  			Harris, J.A., 123rd Ind. Inf.  
Heidman, Henry, 176th N.Y. Inf. 		Hensley, J.P., 28th Ill. Inf. 
Henderson, A.J., 9th Mo. Cav. 			Henderson, C.P., 37th N.Y Inf. 
Hindman, Sam'l, 100th Ind. Inf.  		Hogg, Adam, Navy  
Holingshead, W., 1st Cal. Inf. 			Jackson, C.C., 72nd Ind. Inf. 
James, G.A., 1st Ohio Art. 			Job, S.E., 33rd Ill. Inf. 
Kent, H.E., 3rd Pa. Art 			Kent, E.D., 9th Ill. Cav.  
King, Benj., 6th Ia. Cav.  			Leake, C.A., 46th Wis. Inf.  
Lewis, James, 85th N.Y. Inf. 			Linden, J.P., 25th Ohio Inf 
Locke, J.E., 1st Vt. Cav.  			Mann, W.W., 12th Ia. Inf.  
Marquisse, P.O., 47th Ia. Inf.  		Matthews, John A., 71st N.Y., Inf.  
McCutchen, R.P., 42nd Ind. Inf.  		McLaughlin, W.F., 9th Ohio Cav.  
McMaster, W.R., 9th Ia. Cav.  			Mitchell, W.W., USS "Oriole"  
Mitchell, R.S., 13th Ind. Inf.  		Milisen, Chas., 1st Pa. Rifles  
Mobley, S.P., 7th Ia. Cav.  			Moore, J.D., Miss. Squadron  
Morgan, David, 140th Ind. Inf.  		Mullen, W.C., 14th Ill. Cav.  
Murphy, C.H., 13th Ia. Inf.  			Norris, C.B., 19th Me. Inf.  
Otto, Fred, 43rd N.Y. Inf.  			Pearl, S.E., 13th Wis. Inf.  
Pemberton, W.D., 1st W.Va.  			Peterson, M.J., 75th Ill. Inf.  
Pierce, C.C., 100th Ind. Inf.  			Powell, U., 100th Ind. Inf.  
Powers, M.C., 134th Ill. Inf. 			Pridmore, Theo., 97th Ill. Inf.  
Pue, A., 3rd Mich.  				Purdy, J.D. 47th N.Y. Inf.  
Redlon, J.M., 25th Mich. In.  			Renling, Nicholas, 17th Wis. Cav. 
Rice, W.H.H., 11th Mich.  			Ridge, John, Knapps Ind. Pa. Art.  
Richter, August, 24th Ill. Inf.  		Riss, John, 1st Wis. Inf. 
Rosswick, Henry, 5th N.Y. Inf 			Roberts, Charles, 
Ryan, A.W., 18th N.Y. Cav.  			Sacks, B.F., 15th Ill. Inf.  
Seivers, Chas. 					Skelton, Jos., 7th Ind. Cav.  
Smith, Jos., 2nd US Cav. 			Spencer, Geo. J., 137th N.Y. Inf.  
Stott, J.H., 1st PRVC  				Swazey, W.A., 22nd Ia. Inf.  
Taylor, T.A., 8th Pa. Reserves  		Tegmeyer, Henry, 119th N.Y. Inf.  
Thorne, B.F., 30th Ia. Inf. 			Tiedermand, C.A., 153rd N.Y. Inf.  
Tidball, D.A., 3rd Ia. Cav.  			Tompkins, Chas., 5th Ia.  
Tracey, W.H., 7th Ohio Inf. 			Troyer, J.C., 112th Ill. Inf.  
Varney, Ransom  				Veasey, J.H., 33rd Ia. Inf.  
Veenker, Henry, 12th Ind. Inf.  		Watts, J.H., 116th Ill. Inf.  
Watson, George, 5th Ia. Inf.  			Wear, James N., 1st W.Va. 
Welch, F.P. 					West, Frank, 50th Ill. Inf. 
Wheeler, H., 145th Pa. Inf 			Williams, Geo., 10th Me. Inf.  
Winslow, Chas. F., 48th Ia. Inf. 		Wright, Fred, Frigate "Minnesota" 
Young, Jas. F., 12th Ia. Inf.

Charter Members

						
S.P. Mobley, 7th Ia. Inf.  			W.M. Ogle  
S.W. Smith, 73rd N.Y. Inf.  			G.H. Bush  
W.P. Foutz, 5th Ia. Cav. 			S.D. Rannells  
O.J. Riley  					T.C. McCoy  
Garrett Segar, 17th Mich.  			N.H. Hurford, 62nd Ohio Inf.  
W.H. Harrison  					H.M. Burcher 
C.B. Lewis, 85th N.Y. Inf. & 5th NY Cav. 	James Lewis, 85th N.Y. Inf. & 5th NY Cav. 
O.A. Abbott, 9th Ill. Cav.

    A military company was organized at Grand Island in February, 1888, with the following-named officer: Captain, Mr. John D. Moore; first lientenant, M. J. Durkin; second lieutenant, J. W. Liveringhouse; oferly sergeant, E. O. Green; quartermaster sergeant, J. W. Freeman; first duty sergeant, Thomas Oakes; second duty sergeant, George F. Ryan; Third duty sergeant, W. N. Peterson; fourth duty sergeant, W. A. Heimberger; first corporal, John Alexander; second corporal, G. W. Williams; third corporal, James Austin; fourth corporal, W. C. Murray; bugler, Al Beers.     The original roster comprised the following names: John Alexander, Martin H. Bird, W. C. Murray, George L. Flemming, George F. Ryan, James Austin, J. W. Liveringhouse, E. F. Bagley, G. W. Williams, John D. Moore, H. M. Willman, J. W. Freeman, Frank P. Hall, Al Beers, H. B. Holtz, Peter Boekhoff, W. G. Hirshberg, William Johnson, Fred Snowden, J. F. Dawson, Thomas Oaked, John Nicholson, Bert cole, D. S. Hendricks, W. N. Peterson, W. H. Evans, George Roys, W. H. Kline, L. F. Hall, O. R. Perry, W. S. Hayman, S. A. Ewing, E. O. Green, Walter Appledorn, George Seifert, D. C. Zink, G. C. Mann, T. M. Hamilton, E. D. Hendricks, R. H. Heinzle, H. J. Mayer, R. H. McAllister, J. A. Costello.
    The central location of Grand Island renders it a favorite camping ground for veterans of the G. A. R., and in February, 1890, a meeting of delegates from the various poats of the State was held here to fill a place for the reunion of 1890.
    The Son of Temerance organized October 2, 1873, with fifteen members, of whom Horatio Thomas was W. P.; Alice Odell, W. A.; J. J. Cosh, R. S.; B. F. Odell, A. R. S.; Byron Beal, F. S.; James H. Jenkins, C.; Flora Thomas, A. C.; Ella Warner, I. S., and John Shoemaker, O. S. This society met in the Baptist Church until permission was granted to meet in the I. O. O. F. Hall, over Wasmer's store. In 1876 there were fifty members.
    Grand Island Camp No. 408, M. W. A., is a modern secret organization. D. A. Finch is V. C.; A. B. Harriott, W. A.; J. A. Brent, E. B., and D. C. Zink, C.
    The Temple of Honor was organized May 4, 1878, by A. H. Bowen, with James H. Burlison, Robert S. Buchanan, George F. Ryan, William T. Hamilton, I. L. Meseraul, Giiles H. Bush, Harry Buchanan, W. P. Foutz, Amaziah D. Owens, D. M Buchanan and Aaron B. Veeder, officers.
    The Knights of Labor is a strong orgainzation in this city. W. F. McLaughlin was M. W. at the close of 189; L. L. Hall, W. F.; David Bown, W. R.; T. A. Oakes, R. C.; W. C. Bowen, D. S.; G. H. Geddes, V. S.; G. F. Ryan, treasurer; James Balcom, I. E., and Samuel Elliott, O. E.
    Fidelity Lodge No. 935, K. of H., elected the following-named officers in December, 1885: George E. Winn, William Barrett, O. J. Winn, Charles Milisen, John W. West, M. Murphy, J. P. Hernohan, John VanWie, John Murray, J. G. Raine, A. J. Sander, W. H. West, Z. B. Partridge and C. F. Bentley. The officers at the close of 1889 were Z. B. Partridge, dicctator; B. C. Howard, P. D.; James Wear, F. R.; M. Murphy, treasurer, and G. H. Caldwell, secretary.
    In October, 1888, the W. C. T. U. elected the following-named officers: Mrs. L. M. Böhne, president; Mrs. W. J. Davis, V. P.; Mrs. W. Bacon, C. S.; Mrs. E. B. Smith, R. S., and Mrs. N. H. Hurford, tresurer. The vice-presidents or representatives of the various Protestant societies were: Mrs. A. B. Shrader, English Lutheran; Mrs. L. M. Bryan, Immanuel Baptist; Mrs. Jennie Glanville, Presbyterian; Mrs. C. D. Irving, Methodist; Mrs. E. A. Stevens, Congregatonal; Mrs. E. E. Everett, First Baptist; Mrs. Radinsky,

Page 596

German Evangelical. At the close of 1889 Mrs. Böhne was president; Mrs. C. Irvin, vice-president; Mrs. E. Hall, secretary, and Mrs. J. W. Davis, treasurer.
    The Women's Christian Temerance Unon of the Ninth sidtrict, presided over by Mrs. E. B. Smith of Grand Island, since its organization, elected the following named officers October 16, 1889: Mrs. Libbie Reynard, president; Mrs. Viola Richardson, vice-president; Mrs. K. A. Cook, treasurer; Mrs. Hascall, recorder, and Mrs. J. H. Wooly, corresponding secretary.
    Perseverance Lodge No. 14, I. O. G. T., was organized March 5, 1889, with the following-named members: Margaret Tyne, D. M. Sweeden, D. N. Conrad, E. C. McCashland, R. S. Ryne, T. Hart, W. Smth, A. Sage, Mrs. T. R. Throles and Josie E. Throles. At the close of 1889 Frank Bartle presided over this lodge, with E. Loomis, secretary. There were forty-five members reported. The old lodge, No. 60, passed out of existence years ago, and with it almost every memory of the old Temperance Hall vanished.
    The Y. M. C. A. was organized in Dr. Hawk's office February 28, 1885, with C. W. Scarff, president; H. E. Cliffore, vice-president; J. W. Bartholomew, secretary, and J. W. Liveringhouse, treasurer. In 1885 C. F. Scarff, president; E. Dill, secretary, and Fred Irving, treasurer, were elected.
    The Ladies' Relief Society was organized December 7, 1886, in the interest of the destitute of the city. Mrs. Juline Smith was chosen president; Mrs. T. J. Hurford, vice-president; Mrs. C. F. Bentley, secretary, and Mrs. T. O. C. Harrison, treasurer. The committee to repot on cases of destitution comprised Mesdames Estes, J. T. Connell, W. J. Davis, N. Platt, Wall Estes, L. Harvey, E. B. Smith, C. W. Scarff, J. Fonner, O. D. Goodrich, H. L. Burket, S. N. Wolbach, F. Hedde, W. W. Riner, C. A. Wiebe and D. R. Eastiday.
    The Liederkranz or Song society was organized by John Wallichs in November, 1870, and the hall completed in August, 1871, on two lots donated by the Union Pacific Railroad Company. Peter Heintz is president; P. B. Peters, vice-president; George Bartenbach, treasurer, and Frank Koss, secretary. The Eintacht (Concordia) was formed September 26, 1875, with Prof. Carl C. Zeus, director, who had previously established the Zeus Academy here. The Plattdeutch Verein is presided ovr by G. M. Hein, with Claus Theissen, vice-president, and H. Schlechting, secretary. The old Turnverein was organized in October, 1874, and was incorporated January 15, 1878. In 1881, this German association had ceased from active work.
    The St. Cecelia Musicale was organized in June, 1885, with Mrs. Barr, leader, and Mesdames W. E. Robinson, Hilliker, Fisher and Reynard, and Misses Emman and Maggie Howard and Ida Heffleman, members.
    The Grand Island Social Club was organized April 15, 1887, with J. D. Moore, president; W. H. Michael and A. B. Perkins, vice-presidents; W. M. Geddes, recorder; E. W. Justice, correspondent, and W. B. Carey, treasurer.
    The Grand Island Dramatic Company was orgaized May 10, 1889, with E. O. Green, president; Mrs. William Murr, vice-president; Dr. H. C. Miller, secretary; J. H. Gorman, manager, and Ralph Platt, agent and master of properties. Directors Mullin, Cowie and Lanigan were elected. Among the unofficial members were Misses Loan, Franklin and Petty, and Messrs. Ryan and Geddes.
    The Bartenbach Opera House, built in 1882, was reopened October 12, 1889, by Keene, in "Julius Caesar." The Academy of Music was erected a few years later.
    The Union Cornet Band completed organization in June, 1874, with S. S. Naylor, director; S. P. Mobley, Joseph Fox and George E. Wilson, trustees, and N. P. Kelley, secretary. This organization was the result of the old Grand Island band refusing to play on July 4. D. G. Phimister was director in September, 1874. The organization continued in existence for over a year, when it went the way of all cornet bands.
    The Cornet Band organized in June, 1876, with J. W. West, president; J. W. Rogers, treasurer; Jay E. White, secretary, and C. B. Lewis, H. O.

Page 597

Brown, James Lewis, F. M. Claflin, Frank Nuss, and H. S. Elkins, unofficial members, rendered effective service for some years. The Germania Band has taken the place of the pioneer bands, and in 1887 the McCadden Cornet Band was organized.
    In July, 1870, the Platte Valley and the Dirty Stockings base-ball clubs of Grand Island were organized. The first challenge was accepted July 19, and that evening the last-named club won, the score being fifty-nine to twelve. The Central Base-Ball Club in 1876 comprised Wilson, Waters, Voitle, White, Probstle, Buchanan, King, Leake, and Landis. They defeated the Kearney club in June of that year. Since that time base-ballism has been enthusiastically carried on here, victory often perching on the banner of the home club.


Transcribed by Kaylynn

Back to 1890 History Page

Return to Hall County

2001 © Kaylynn Loveland, Hall County AHGP