A-C D-F G-H J-L M-O P Q-R S-V W-Z
J through L
Henry Joehnck is an influential pioneer citizen of Hall County, Neb., and for some time has been engaged in market-gardening at Grand Island. He was born in Schleswig-Holstein, Germany, April 28, 1835, and is a son of Christian and Katharina H. Joehnck. He spent his youth in his native county and attended school until he was sixteen years of age, after which he went to Berlin and spent four years learning the trade of a wagon-maker. At the age of twenty years he accompanied his father and mother, two brothers and three sisters to America, and on reaching this country the family came westward to Davenport, Iowa, and two months later the parents, with five of their children, settled on a farm in Clinton County, where the former spent the remainder of their days. The father died August 12, 1885, at the age of ninety-one years, and the mother February 20, 1889, at the advanced age of eighty-nine years. Henry Joehnck did not accompany his relatives to Clinton County, but preferred to fight his own way in the world, and accordingly remained in Davenport two years longer, working at his trade. March 27, 1857, he was married in that city to Miss Margaret Goos, a daughter of Carl F. G. and Maria (Peterson) Goos. Mrs. Joehnck was born in Schleswig, Germany, February 4, 1840, and, with her parents, one brother and two sisters, came to America in the fall of 1851. On reaching this country they also settled in Davenport, and here Mr. Goos followed the occupation of wagon-making. He died June 27, 1867, at the age of fifty-four years. His wife survives him, is a resident of Davenport and is seventy-seven years of age. Two months after their marriage Mr. and Mrs. Joehnck, in company with twenty-three men and five women, one young girl and one child, started from Davenport for the territory of Nebraska, overland, and came to the present site of Grand Island, which town was founded by them and named. It will be seen from this that Mr. Joehnck and his wife are among the very earliest settlers. After working at his trade for two years he turned his attention to farming, gardening and stock-raising, and has successfully followed these pursuits ever since. The following family have been born to this couple: William, Fred, Henry, Carl, Dora, Laura, Christian, Augusta, Metha and Detlef. The eldest of these is thirty and the youngest ten years of age, and five of the children are married. The entire family are members of the German Lutheran Church. March 27, 1882, Mr. and Mrs. Joehnck celebrated their silver wedding, at which time their relatives and friends assembled in large numbers and left them many handsome and valuable presents as a token of their respect, good will and esteem.
Stephen Jones is one of Hall County's prosperous agriculturists, but is a native of Pennsylvania, born in Luzerne County, March 3, 1842, being a son of Daniel and Catherine (Jenkins) Jones, the former being also born in Pennsylvania, his birth occurring in 1807, and there he contunued to make his home until his death in 1876. A Whig in early life, he afterward became a Republican, and during the Civil War was a strong Union man and served for some time as deputy provost marshal. He was a man of very energetic temperament, but his body was unequal to the duties which he imposed upon it, and his health was very feeble during the declining years of his life. His wife was born November 29, 1808, in Pennylvania, and is still a resident of that State, being hale for her years. The Jones family were originally from Wales, and the Jenkins from Germany. Stephan Jones attained manhood in his native State and supplemented his common-school education by attending Wyoming Seminary. When twenty years of age he enlisted in the Federal army, in Schooly's independent battery, but it was subsequently transferred to the Pennsylvania Heavy Artillery, Company M, Second Regiment, and was on duty at Fort Delaware and Washington, D. C., until May, 1864, when his regiment joined Grant at Cold Harbor, and was with him until the fall of Petersburg. Following the last battle in which Mr. Jones participated he was appointed division mail agent in Gen. Hartsuff's headquarters. He received his discharge June 21, 1865, was mustered out at Petersburg and retuned to his native State, and after farming for a short time began teaching school, continuing one term. After acting as foreman of a gang of men on the construction of a railroad for six months, he remained at home for the three folloing months, then went to Texas with a brother and made his home in the West for two years. After farming in his native State the two following years he was married May 10, 1869, to Miss Margaret Furman, who was born in Pennsylvania in 1842, and with her removed to Effingham County, Ill., where he found employment until the following year, then settling on his present farm in Hall County, Neb., which comprises 240 acres. He is a Republican, a member of the A. F. & A. M., and G. A. R. He and wife have two daughters: Lulu (who is a teacher in the graded school of Wood River), Lena M. (who is also a teacher and a graduate of the Wood River Schools.)
JONES, H. M.
H. M. Jones, farmer, Wood River, Neb. Among the successful agriculturists of Hall County, whose merits are such as to entitle him to representation in the present work is Mr. Jones, the subject of this sketch. He was born in Luzerne County, Pa., July 13, 1846, and is the son of Daniel and Catherine (Jenkins) Jones, both natives of Pensylvania. The father was born also in Luzerne County, May 30, 1807, and lived on one farm for forty years. He died there in October, 1876. He was a great traveler and wandered all over Michigan and the Western States. He owned at one time 1,000 acres of land where the city of Chicago is now standing, and sold it for 50 cents an acre. He was married, October 8, 1826, to Miss Jenkins, who was born November 29, 1808, and who is still living in Pennsylvania. They were the parents of twelve children, eleven of whom grew to maturity. The maternal grandfather was a child at the time of the Wyoming massacre, and was saved from death by being dressed in the clothes of a woman. H. M. Jones attained his growth in Pennsylvania, and received a common and high-school education. He worked on his father's farm until grown and February 14, 1871, he left home and emigrated West. He joined his brother, Steve Jones [see sketch], in Illinois, and they took wagons and after a tedious journey arrived at Lone Tree, Neb. This was the in an unsettled condition and the present cities were then but villages. They had enough money to make a start, but the dry weather and grasshoppers made times very hare. Mr. Jones entered 240 acres of land, which he has since improved very much. He was married, May 12, 1873, to Miss Rebecca Hillman, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1851, and to them have been born two children: Claude D. and Grace C. Mrs. Jones came with her parents to Nebraska, in 1872, and received a superior education in her native county. She was a school-teacher, and the first one in District 8. Her father, Michael Hillman, was born June 23, 1818, was a native of Pennsylvania, and of Dutch descent. Her mother, whose maiden name was Caroline Crissman, was born in Pennsylvaia, in 1831, was married to Mr. Hillman in 1847 and is now living. Of our subject's brothers and sisters three are deceased: D. W. (born September 5, 1840, died in June, 1841), Merritt B. (born November 8, 1834, died January 1, 1870, at Fort Clark, Tex.; he was a government employe) and France (born November 23, 1827, grew to womanhood, married M. W. Cooley, and died in 1881, leaving six children). The family of Mr. and Mrs. Jones consists of Susanna B. (now Mrs. H. K. Ebert, resides in Wood River, Neb.), Hester (a widow), Elizabeth, Helen M. (the wife of Mr. Day), Elvira (married) and Louisa, all in Pennsylvania, and T. J. Jones, in Michigan. Mr. Jones is a Republican in politics and belongs to the M. W. A.
JORDAN, S. M.
S. M. Jordan, assistant cashier of the First National Bank of Wood River, Neb., and treasurer of Wood River Township, Hall County, of that State, was born in Gentry County, Mo., in 1860, and remained on a farm there until twenty years of age. He graduated from the Northwest Normal and Business Institute at Stanberry, Mo., in 1885, and afterward taught in the common schools for some time. Later he was made pricipal of the Stanberry public schools, which position he held for two years, and in May, 1888, he moved to Wood River, Neb., where, besides teaching, he has held the above-mentioned positions of trust and honor. He was elected treasurer of Wood River Township in November, 1889, and fills that position as well as collector of the township taxes. He was married in Stanberry, Mo., in June, 1889, to Miss Stella Flowers, a native of Missouri, born in 1863. His parents, Samuel and Ann (Puterbaugh) Jordan, were both natives of Pennsylvania, the father born in 1821, and the mother in 1829. The latter died in 1883, but the father is still living and resides at Stanberry, Mo. The latter was quite well educated, and followed the teacher's profession in his younger days i Pennsylvania, and after his marriage to Miss Puterbaugh he came West, locatin in Ohio, thence to Illinois, afterward to Wisconsin, Iowa, and finall to Missouri, where they located at Stanberry, on a farm in 1858. The father, who was in the Union service during the late war, was judge of the county court of Gentry four years. His grandfather came from England and was married in Philadelphia. He took part in the War of 1812; his wife died in her ninety-sixth year. His father and mother wer both born in Bedford County, Pa. The former held the office of justice of the peace for over twenty years, and was an old line Whig, being a great friend of Henry Clay, and masterd the plitical subjects of the day. He said that he was never drunk but once, and that was the day the news of peace between this country and England was received. He died at the age of seventy years. His family consisted of ten children, eight boys and two girls. One brother and one sister died at the ages of three and five years. David, the eldest, was self-taught, mastered geometry and surveying, took yellow fever while locating a railroad in Mississippi and died and was buried at Natchez. Francis, the second, graduated in Marshall College, in Pennsylvania, was admitted to the bar of Dedford County, practiced law several years and was then sent to the State Senate. He was among the first paymasters Lincoln appointed, and went to Vicksburg to pay the troops, being there when it was taken, then went to Natchez and became sick, when he returned home and resigned. Subsequently he was appointed lieutanant colonel under Gov. Curtain's staff, and State agent for Pennyslvania troops, with headquarters at Washington D. C. Going to Harrisburg he was appointed secretary of State under gov. Curtain and reappointed under Gen. Geery, himself coming within one vote of being nominated Governor of Pennsylvania. He is now practicing law in circuit and supreme courts in Pennsylvania, and is over seventy years of age. samuel was the third son and William the next. His health failed early in life nad he died in Pennsylvania. John M., the fifth, went by wagon from Chicago to Oregan, thence to California when gold was discoverd, but retuned to Oregon. On his return from California he was shipwrecked and lost all but the clothes he wore. He was a good business man and soon accumulated a fortune. Finally he went back to Pennsylvania, where he died, leaving a daughter and son, the latter now a physician in Philadelphia. Thomas, the sixth, died; had a short but eventful career. He mastered all he undertook. Possessing a geat memory, he had a good command of language and wonderful powers of oratory. Overwork in books destroyed his health. He went to Mississippi, then went to Europe with a son of Gen. Quitman, visited England, Germany, France, Ireland, Scotland and Italy. Returning home, the next year he started for the Sandwich Islands. He began teaching there on a good salary, but had to give it up, and started for hme by way of California. He reached Sacramento, and in company with his brother John started for Pennsylvania. On reaching New Orleans Thomas died and was taken to Natchez and buried by his oldest brother. James, the next, died at the age of twenty-three from mental over work. The sister graduated at the Young Ladies' Seminary in Philadelphia, but also lost her health from hard study and died at the age of seventeen. None of the boys were ever drunk, and but one ever used tobacco. the ancestors on the mother's side came fro Germany and Ireland and located in Pennsylvania. To Samuel and Ann (Puterbaugh) Jordan were born nine children, seven sons and two daughters, our subject being fifth in order of birth. They are named as follows: Louis and James (both in the furniture business at Stanberry), William (in St. Joseph, with the Motor Street Car Line), S. M., George F. (cashier of Sherman County State Bank, in Sherman County, Kas.), Minnie (at home), John (book-keeper for the above-mentioned bank in Sherman County, Kas.), Walter (a student at St. Joseph Business College), Mary (who died at the age of two and a half years). None of the boys use whisky or tabacco.
Nicholas Kelly was born in the "Emerald Isle" in the month of June, 1829, being a son of Andy and Mary Kelly, who spent their lives on their native island. In 1856 Nicholas Kelly was united in marriage to Miss Ellin Costiean, their union taking place in the United States, but she was also born in Ireland, and on first coming to the New World settled with her relatives in the province of Canada, but later moved to Philadelphia, Pa. Mr. Kelly received the advantages of the common schools, and possessing the quick wit and keen intellect of his countrymen, he made rapid progress in his studies, and is now a well-informed and intelligent man. He followed various pursuits until the spring of 1861, then joined the home guards, but was never in active service. In 1882 he emigrated to Hall County, Neb., and purchased a farm of 160 acres, but his second crop was destroyed by the devouring elements, and for some time it was all he could do to make a living. By almost superhuman efforts he soon established himself on a sound footing, and has made for himself and family a comfortable home, much better than is owned by the average Nebraska farmer. His farm of 160 acres is all under cultivation, and is well stocked. He has always been gnerous in his contributions to worthy enterpreses, and has always interested himself in the welfare of the community in which he has resided. He and wife are the parents of four children: Audrene (deceased), John, William and Andrew. The family attend the Roman Catholic Church.
KENT, Hiram E.
Hiram E. Kent, farmer, was born in Erie County, Pa., April 5, 1833, and is a son of John Kent, who was born in New Hampshire, but was reared principally in Canada, whither he was taken by his parents at an early day. After reaching manhood he moved to Vermont, and was married there to Miss Zanna Chittenden, a native of the "Green Mountain State." Mr. Kent served for over three years in the War of 1812, and after his marriage moved to York State, thence to Erie County, Pa., and supplemented this with a three-years' course in Girard Academy, after which he engaged in teaching the "young idea" in Pennsylvania and Arkansas. He was married in 1860, in Pennsylvania, to Miss Asenath Jerome, who was born, reared and educated in Ohio, and a daughter of Charles Jerome, and after their marriage they engaged in farming in Erie County, continuing until 1864, and in February of that year Mr. Kent enlisted in the Third Pennsylvania Artillery, and served until he received his discharge, July 25, 1865. He was then engaged in farming in Erie County until 1869, at which time he moved to Kansas, and after a two-years' residence in Atchison County, he came to Hall County, Neb., and is now the owner of 160 acres of good land. His farm is situated about five miles from Grand Island, and is well improved with good buildings, fences, orchards, etc. Mr. Kent has served about twelve years as justice of the peace, and is a man who caommands the respect and esteem of all with whom he comes in contact. He and wife have a daughter, Elma A. (who is still at home.)
Gustave Joehler is a liquor merchant and ice dealer of Grand Island, Neb., and was born at Mohorn, near Wilsdruff, kingdom of Saxony, Germany, December 27, 1842, being a son of Heinrick and Carolina (Henker) Koehler, who reared a family of three children: Bertha (widow of Herman Werner, of Wilsdruff), Louis and Gustave. The father was a brick-maker by trade. Gustave Koehler came to America in 1866, and joined his brother Louis in Indiana, the latter being now a resident of Chicago, in the tin-smithing business, and although he had learned the drug business prior to coming to this country, he found that the hardware business would be more profitable, and accordingly opened an establishment at New Corydon, Ind., and was profitably engaged there for two years. Being subject, however, to chills and fever in that locality, he removed to Omaha, Neb., and worked at the liquor business for two years, and then followed the same occupation n Wichita, Kas., beig also engaged in farming and gardening. Since 1880 he has resided in Grand Island, and although he held the office of supervisor of Hall County one term, he is averse to holding public office. In 1885 he started a fine ice and fish pond at Grand Island, introducing German carp, and in addition to thise enterprises, he is quite extensively engaged in the real-estate business, dealing in farms as well as city property. He is a stockholder in the Grand Island Improvement Company, is a director of the Citizen's Bank, and is a stockholder in the canning factory. In all matters pertaining to the growth and development of his locality he has given an active support, and is highly respected as one of the leading business men of this portion of the State. He is a member of the Liederkranz, and he and his family worship in the Lutheran Church. He was married in Council Bluffs, Iowas, to Miss Kate Whitney, a native of York State, born in Otsego County. Mr. Koehler's only child, Emma, is a student at Garfield University, Wichita, Kas.
KOENIG, Hon. Henry Arnold
Hon. Henry Arnold Koenig, president of the Citizens' National Bank at Grand Island, Neb., was born in Gütersloh, Westphalen, Prussia, May 3, 1836, and is a son of Henry Christof and CAroline (Zumwinkel) Koenig, the former of whom was a distiller by occupation, although his attention was given to other occupations also, he being the proprietor of a hotel. The Koenigs were a merchatile and manufacturing people, and the Zumwinkels were prominently identified with the pork packing interests of Westphalen. Hon. Henry Arnold Koenig grew to manhood in his native land and received a good literrary education in the public schools, supplemented by a commercial training at Osnabrück, graduating from an educatinal institution of htat place, at the age of sixteen years. After spending four years as clerk in Arnsberg he went back to Gütersloh, and for about three years was a book-keeper in a pork-packing establishment belonging to an uncle. He next spent one year in the regular army, but in the fall of 1859 he joined an elder brother, who had been a resident of Omaha, Neb., and was then at home on a visit, and came with him to America, and until the breaking out of the late Civil War was engaged in clerking in Omaha. He then enlisted in Company B, First Nebraska Volunteer Infantry, and was on active duty until the fall of Fort Donelson, when he was honorably discharged on account of disability and returned to Omaha. In 1863 he became associated with Fred A Wiebe in the general mercantile business in Denver, Colo., but not being satisfied with his location he sold out his interest there and returned to Omaha, but almost immediately came to Grand Island nd opened a general mecantile establishment, which he successfully conducted for several years. During the Sioux Indian War of 1864 he fortified his store, and many farmers with their families would take refuge there during the night to protect themselves from the depredations of the Indians. During the construction of the Union Pacific Railroad he was a general contractor in railroad ties, and also furnished supplies and kept a State station and telegraph office for the Western Union Telegraph Company. Mr. Koenig and his partner built the first saw-mill in Grand Island, and in 1867 attached a grist-mill, which did dity here for many years. They dealt in grain, lumber, coal and general merchandise at an early day, but by 1871 it had become so extensive that they opened a State bank under the name of the State Central Bank, which continued until 1884 and then became the Citizens' National Bank, and as such has since cintinued, Mr. Koenig being president of the bank continually since its organization. In 1887 the United Sates Investment Company was organized and a street car railway was built, of which Mr. Koenig has since been president. He has always been a very public spirited citizen, and to his influence is die the establishment of the beet root sugar industry at Grand Island, and he was also one fo the chief promoters of the Grand Island Improvement Company. He has been active in local politics and has seved the county as treasurer several terms, and from 1871 to 1874 was treasurer of the State. He has also been a member of the school board of the city, and was one of the organizers of the Liederkranz. Although he attends the Lutheran Church he is liberal in his views. He was married in Grand Island, Miss Agathe Henriette Von Wasmer, a daughter of William Von Wasmer becoming his wife, and his union with her has resulted in the birth of three sons and one daughter: Richard (who is a book-keeper in the Citizen's National Bank, is married and the father of a son, named William), Mary (who is the accomplished wife of Dr. John Janss, of North Loup, Neb., and is the mother of a daughter, named Frida), Arnold (an intelligent young gentleman, taking the civil engineers' course in the Washington University of St. Louis), and Henry (a clerk in St. Louis).
William Kurka is a Bohemian, born in 1840, which fact is enough to assure one that he is one of the enterprising, frugal and industrious men of the community in which he resides. He remained in his native land until thirty years of age, then came to the United States to seek his fortune, and subsequent events have proved his judgment to be good, for his is now a successful merchant tailor of Grand Island, and has a competency which places him beyond the reach of want. After coming to the New World he worked for a short time in Chicago, then traveled for some time, and in 1880 located in Grand Island, and here has been prominently identified with teh mechant tailoting interes of the place ever since. He is the owner of a fine business block and residence in Grand Island and the thorough manner in which he has conducted his affairs and the success which has attended his efforts, have tended to place him among the leading business men of the place. He wa united in marriage to Miss Anna Manning, a native of London, Canada, their union takingplace there. Mr. Kurka is a Select Knight of the K. Of P., and as a man of business enjoys the esteem and confidence of all who know him. His parents, Matthew and Catherine Kurka, were also native Bohemians.
LAMON, Elbert S.
Elbert S. Lamon was brought up to the life of a farmer by his father, Manuel Lamon, and like the majority of boys has followed in his progenitor's footsteps, and is now one of the leading agriculturists and stockmen of Hall County. He is a native of the "Hoosier State," born in Harrison County, June 10, 1831, whither hisparents moved from thier native State of Tennessee in 1829, both being of German parentage. Here the father was engaged in farming until his death, which occurred about 1868, his wife surviving him about twenty years, her death occurring at the advanced age of ninety-seven years. Mr. Lamon was a man well known and highly esteemed for his many worthy qualities, and was for twelve consecutive years magistrate in his district. He was also a faitful soldier in the War of 1812. Elbert S. Lamon attained his manhood in Harrison County, Ind., making his home with his father, and was married there November 23, 1854, to Priscilla Green, a daughter of John and Leah Green, natives of the "Blue Grass State." Mrs. Lamon was born and reared in Kentucky, and after her marriage she and Mr. Lamon settled on a farm in Crawford County, which they continued to till until the fall of 1874, when they came to Nebraska. From that time until the spring of 1880 Mr. Lamon rented land, but in the last-named year located on the farm he now occupies, which consists of 274 acres of fine land. He has just sold 200 acres, and now has a neat little farm of seventy-four acres all under cultivation and well improved with excellent buildings. He has a fine young bearing orchard of about 800 trees, also some cherry and plum trees. He has always been a Republican in his political view, and has served as a delegate to numerous county conventions. He has been a member of the school board in his district, and socially is a member of the Msonic fraternity, Deuel Chapte No. 11. His family consists of the following children: Manuel (who is married and resides in Sherman County, Neb.), William C. (who is married and resided in Grand Island), John, Walter, Virginia A. (wife of E.C. Walker, a sketch of whom appears in this work), Amy E. (wife of Austin Roberts, of Decatur County, Iowa), Minerva, Ida C. and Cora M.
LANGAN, John F.
John F. Langan, dealer in retail liquor, Wood River, Neb. This gentleman is a native of Pennsylvania, born January 5, 1857, and is the son of James and Mary (Bresnihan) Langan. The father was a native of the Emerald Isle, and came to the United States when a young man, located in Pittston, Luzerne County, Pa., and there worked in the mines for some time. He was married in that State, and there reared six of the seven children born to his union. He still resides in Pittston, but comes out West to visit his son, J. F., quite ofter. The mother was born in Cork, Ireland, but came to America and was married in Pennsylvania to Mr. Langan. She was the mother of seventeen children. J. F. Langan grew to manhood in Pennsylvania, received a common school education, and worked in machine shops, and engaged in running a sewing-machine factory for four and a half years. He came to this State in 1885 and remained here about ten months, when he went back and worked for the same company for about nine months. Again he returned to this State and embarked in the liquor business in Wood River, and has been here about three years. He has been quite successful, and is an enterprising and industrious man. He was married June 12, 1888, to Miss Maggie Conner, a native of Farmsdale, Pa., where she received her education. She is a lady of superior mental ability, and of high personal attainments. They have one child, a daughter, named Mary A. Mr. Langan owns the fixtures for two saloons here and is doing well. He is a member of the Catholic Church.
Seth Lee, farmer and stock-raiser, Cameron, Neb. A glance at the lives of the many representative men whose names appear in this volume will reveal sketches of some honored, influential citizens, who have passed beyond man's allotted age of three-score years and ten, and among those deserving of mention is Mr. Seth Lee. He was born in Bristol County, Mass., July 12, 1818, and his father, Stephen Lee, was also a native of the same county in Massachusetts. The latter grew to manhood, received his education, and was married to Miss Sarah West in Bristol County. She was also a native of that county, and there grew to womanhood. They were the parents of eight children, all of whom reached maturity. Both parents were members of the Christian Church. The paternal great-grandfather, G. F. Stephen Lee, was born in Bristol County, Mass., and was a farmer by occupation. He was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, and his grandson, Stephen D. Lee, has his gun. Seth Lee was eighteen years of age when he moved to Providence, R. I., where he learned the trade of carpenter, and was married August 13, 1840, to Miss Lucy Pearce, a native of that city, who was born March 22, 1822. They were the parents of the following children: Edwin S. (born June 17, 1842), Julia M. (born October 13, 1844), Amanda E. (born February 15, 1848), Willard H. (born March 28, 1856) and Charles F. (born March 18, 1862, and died February 27, 1867). Seth Lee worked at contracting and building for twenty-five years, and in that way accumulated considerable wealth. He came west in 1872, invested in land, and is now the owner of two sections, valued at $30 per acre. He began life with little or no means, but by saving $100 a year was worth $10,000 when he left Rhode Island. He is a member of the Christian Church, and in his political views affiliates with the Republican party. During the late unpleasantness between the North and South he was a stanch Union man, and opposed to slavery. His wife is still living, and if both survive until August 13, 1890, they will be permitted to celebrate the fiftieth anniversary of their wedding. The grandparents on both sides were natives of Bristol County, Mass., and the maternal grandfather was a mechanic by trade, and a member of the Christian Church. He died in Warren, R. I.
LEE, Edwin S.
Edwin S. Lee, farmer and stock-raiser, Wood River Neb. This prosperous farmer and stock-raiser of Hall County, Neb., owes his nativity to Povidence, R. I., where his birth occurred June 17, 1842 [see sketch of Seth Lee, for parents], and remained there until sixteen years of age, atttending the public schools of that city. He then moved with his parents to Massachusetts, and attended school in that State until twenty-one years of age. In 1864 he married Miss amanda C. Wood, who was born in the town of Swansea, Mass., in 1844, and who received a more than ordinary education. They remained in Massachusetts, where Mr. Lee followed agricultural pursuits until 1872, when he emigrated to Nebraska, and settled in Hall County, where he homesteaded a good tract of land. He is now the owner of 320 acres, all of which is tillable, and is one of the flourishing stock-raisers and feeders of the county. His farm shows evidence of thrift and energy. They came to Nebraska at a day when the marks of pioneer life were everywhere present, and brought with them the customs of the urbane populatin of the Eastern States. They are the parents of four living children: Arthur (who was born May 20, 1867), Stephen (born in September, 1869), Lawrence (born December 25, 1873), Seba (born November 29, 1881); Hattie, who died May 28, 1888, was twenty-three years of age. Stephen attended the Methodist Episcopal School at Central City, Neb., and is especially proficient in mathematics. Mr. and Mrs. Lee made a visit to their old home during the autumn of 1889, visiting Bunker Hill Monument and old Faneul Hall, and other important places in and about their old home. They brought with them on their return as family relics two readers bearing the date of 1802 and 1805, respectively, also the arithmetic used in the eighteenth century by ancestors of the family. Mrs. Lee is a lady of education and refinement, and is above the average in culture and attainments. Her parents, Abel B. and Amanda C. (Case) Wood, were both natives of Massachusetts, the former born in 1814 and the latter in 1818. He was a farmer and died in Massachusetts in 1887. He was a member of the Christian Church. The mother died in December, 1888, and was one of eighteen children born to her parents, her mother being fifty-one years of age when Mrs. Wood was born. Mr. Lee has acceptably served as justice of the peace. He is a Republican in politics, and he and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Edward Lennan, farmer and stock-raiser, Underwood. What is usually termed genius has little to do with the success of men in general. Keen perception, sound judgment and a determined will, supported by persevering and continuous effort, are essential elements to success in any calling. Mr. Lennan was born in Maine, in 1848, and was reared and educated in that State. He went to Wisconsin in 1870, remained there but a short time and then went to Woodford County, Ill., where he worked in a store for about a year. In 1874 he came to Hall County, Neb., and was married in Hastings County (sic), Neb., in 1878, to Miss Mary C. Page, a native of New Hamphire, and the daughter of John W. and Sarah A. (Page) Page, natives of the Granite State. Mrs. Page is still a native of that State, but Mr. Page is deceased. After his marriage Mr. Lennan settled on the farm where he now lives, and has made many improvements. He planted an orchard, also has some small fruit, and is very comfortably fixed. His farm, consisting of 160 acres, is situated from eight to ten miles from three or four towns, is all cultivated, and on it he has two houses. He is interested in politics, and votes with the Republican party; is a member of the Farmers' Alliance, and has held office in this organization, and he and Mrs. Lennan are members of the North Hastings Congregational Church. Mr. Lennan, being one of the early settlers south of the Platte River, passed through the grasshopper raids, the drought and the bad storms of Nebraska, but likes the State and is permanently located here. His parents, Thomas and Dorothea (Page) Lennan, were natives of the Pine Tree State, and the father always made his home in that State. He was a wool-carder and died in 1869. The mother died in 1869. They were the parents of four children, of whom Edward Lannan was the youngest.
Joseph Lilley. The subject of this sketch is one of the honored residents of Hall County, Neb., and although he has only resided here for a period of ten years, he has become well known and the respect and esteem shown him is as wide as his acquaintance. His finely improved arm of 151 acres is well improved with good buildings, fences, orchard, etc., and he is accounted by all a successful tiller of the soil. He was born in the "Keystone State" in 1837, being a son of Isaac and Mary (De Walt) Lilley, who were born in 1801 and 1803 respectively, and died in Pennsylvania in 1885. Joseph Lilley received the education and rearing which is usualy accorded the farmer's boy, and upon reaching a proper age was united in the bonds of matrimony to Miss Caroline McCarter, who was born in 1845, also in Pennsylvania. She is a daughter of E. B. and Eunice (Bacon) McCater, who were born in 1796 in Pennsylvania, and in New York in 1801, and died in Pennsylvania in 1871 and 1885, repectively. Mr. Lilley's marriage took place in Pennsylvania in 1864, and their union has resulted in the birth of the following children: Isabella, Daniel De Walt, Edwin K., Pharez B., Eunice M., J. Harley, Sarah E., Bertie C., Emma F. (deceased), Lora V. and Orville H. Isabella, the eldest daughter, is now the wife of Robert L. Converse, their union taking place in 1882, and they have since been residents of Montana. During the late war Mr. Lilley served in the One Hundred and seventy-second Rigiment, Pennsylvania Infantry (drafted), until 1863. He is now a member of the G. A. R., and in his political views is a Republican and is a director of his school district. E. B. McCarter had four sons in the Volunteer army, the youngest of whom, Henry, died of fever contracted in Virginia. James died also of disease. Warren was wounded and held a prisoner, and Elisha is still living. Mr. Lilley had also a brother among the Volunteers.
George Loan, Sr., water commissioner of Grand Island, was born in Edinburgh, Scotland, March 23, 1826, being a son of George and Mary (Glendinning) Loan, the former a physician in the royal navy and an eminent man, who became a sacrifice in the East India service to the fever prevalent there. George Loan attained manhood in his native land, and in his early youth became proficient in the art of wire-making, and afterward worked for about fourteen years as an expert. His trade carried him over Scotland, England and Ireland, and in 1867 he came to America and settled in Grand Island, where he has made his home ever since. For about four years he worked in the Union Pacific car shops at Grand Island and three years in the Union Pacific machine shops at North Platte, Neb., and afterward spent some time in the Black Hills, but returned in 1877, and has since been closely identified with Grand Island's interests. He served four years as chief of police, and is now filling the office of water commissioner, and is a stockholder in the Grand Island Improvement Company and the Grand Island Canning Company. He has reared and educated his family well, and has the pleasure of seeing them occupy honorable citizenship in the differnt localities in which they live. He came to these shores a poor man, willing and capable to earn a respectable livelihood, but has succeeded far beyond his expectations, and to-day enjoys the blessings of plenty and the esteem and respect of all who know him. He still retains a healthy constitution, and the pleasant geniality of his youth. He was married in Downpatrick, Ireland, to Miss Sarah Johnson, a native of Northumberland, England, a daughter of Thomas Johnson, and by her became the father of the following family of children: Alice (wife of Robert Patterson, a substantial citizen of Sedalia, Colo., and an engineer by profession), Mary (wife of Warren Goddard, engineer at Raton, N. M.), Fannie (wife of Robert M. Stout, also an engineer, of Como, Colo.), Matilda W. and Bessie G. (at home, the latter being her father's assistant), George, Jr. (a business man in Grand Island) and Edgar G. (a printer in Denver, Colo.)
Clarence Lowry, farmer and stock-raiser, Doniphan, Neb. Clarnece Lowry was born in Fulton County, Ind., in 1854, and his early life was divided between working on the farm and attending the common schools of the period. At the age of eighteen years he emigrated to Hall County, Neb., with his mother, and at that time there was not a house on the table land south of the Platte River. In 1876 he homesteaded eighty acres where he now resides and commenced improving the same, and to that he has added enough to make 200 acres of good tillable land, situated on Platte River. He was married in Hall County in 1877 to Miss Maggie Dufford, a native of Pennsylvania, who was left an orphan at an early age. She came to this county with her uncle, Charles Dufford [see sketch]. Four children wre born to Mr. and Mrs. Lowry: Della, Nettie, Archie and Robert. Mr. Lowry is a Republican in politices, and takes considerable interest in the political affairs of the county. Socially he is a member of Doniphan Lodge No. 86, A. F. & A. M. Like others of the pioneer settlers, he has experienced the grasshopper raids, but has never been discouraged, and likes the State well enough to make it his permanent home. The improvements on his place are complete and neat in all respects. Stock-raising in conjunction with his farming operations he is making a specialty. He was the youngest of ten children born to the marriage of William and Sarah (Clark) Lowry, natives of the Buckeye State. At an early day the parents moved to Indiana, thence to Nebraska in 1858, settling in Nemaha County, and there the father was engaged in tilling the soil. He died in 1861 and the family came to Hall County in 1872. The mother is still living and resides with the subject of this sketch.
LYNCH, Rev. P.
Reb. P. Lynch, Wood River, Neb. Among the Catholic prelates of the diocese of Omaha, Neb., who have especially distinguished themselves as laborers in the vineyard of Christ, none are more zealous, nor have the labors of any one been crowned with greater success, than those of Rev. Father Lynch, the subject of this sketch, and the present pastor of St. Mary's Church, Wood River, Neb. He is a man of medium stature, light complexion, and the benignity of his countenance bespeaks a heart full of the gentleness of Christian charity; but to the astute observer there lurks behind the depth of his dark blue eye the energy of that grand old Celtic race so famed in history for their eloquence and for the zeal with which they execute all projects that advance the interest of religion. Father Lynch was born in County Cavin, Ireland, and is the son of James and Mary (Smith) Lynch. In his earlier childhood he attended the national school of his native village, and when twelve years of age entered St. Patrick's Seminary, Cavin, Ireland, and completed a six years' classical course. After graduation there he entered the Theological College, Dublin, Ireland, and five years later, after arduous research and study, he graduated from the extensive course there. June 24, 1873, he was ordained priest in the above-named college by the Rt. Rev. Bishop Whalen. After ordination he remained three months in his native parish in Cavin, Ireland, with his parents, who were at this time in the vigor of life, and enjoyed a full realization of the most sanquine dreams of the devout Irish Catholic parents to see their son an ordained priest in the Roman Catholic Church. Father Lynch was ordained for the diocese of Omaha, Neb., U. S. A., and in August of the year in which he was ordained was trnasferred to the city of Omaha. He acted as assistant pastor of the Cathedral at Omaha one year, was then made curate of Columbus, Neb., and served in that capacity for sixteen months. The ability and fidelity with which he had filled his charges up to this time caused him to be appointed pastor of the parish of North Platte and missionary of the same. When he arrived at North Platte he found an ordinary parish with no church facilities. He secured a small room in a country hotle there, and thus devoid of all the comforts of life, with at best but gloomy possibilities and a period of painstaking labor before him, he commenced his career as a pastor. He had a firm trust in God and a manly reliance on his own capabilities. A handsome structure, the first Catholic building ever erected in Lincoln County, Neb., still decorates South Platte as a monument to the scene of Father Lynch's first efforts as a pastor. He also established new missions in that county. He was sent to Plattsmouth, Cass Count, Neb., and there built two new churches, established one mission, bought two Catholic cemeteries, and secured the property on which now stands an excellent convent school. He accomplished his work in Cass County in the short space of five years, and at the termination of that time was removed to Grand Island, Hall County, Neb. He remained in that city for nearly two years, when it was discovered that the incipient parish of Wood River was surely in need of the personal supervision of a man of energy and progress in order to bring it to the standard which it deserved. Accordingly Father Lynch was made the first resident pastor of Wood River. He found here nothing but the crude material, no church and no pastoral residence, no place for the service of mass. He, however, nerved himself for the struggle, and a spacious church, the largest building in the town of Wood River, and beautiful eight-room pastoral residence and other church property, altogether running far up into the thousands in value and none of it incumbered by a cent of debt, are evidences of the result of his labors in Wood River. This is only excelled by the moral regeneration that has taken place in the parish since his location here. Absence of religious authority and of religious cermonies had caused many of the people to fall into habit of public dissipation, giving scandal to themselves and to religion. His mild but determined policy placed a check upon the career of the wayward and a seal upon the lips of the traducer, and his wise and prudent counsel has raised many to a plane of moral thinking and living to which they had hitherto been strangers. Father Lynch's sermons are models of literary simplicity. The most illiterate can not fail to understand them, and the most highly educated can but admire their beauty and strength.
2003 © Kaylynn, for the AHGP