Q through R
John Quinn, stock-shipper, Wood River, Neb. Of those persons of Irish ancestry mentioned in this volume none are more deserving of especial remark than John Quinn, a man whom Wood River will ever have cause to remember for the part he has taken in its building up and improvement. He was born in County Wicklow, Ireland, in 1838, attended the national schools of that country, and was reared to the arduous duties of the farm. When about twenty-two years of age he commenced dealing in stock, purchased in all parts of Ireland, and shipped to England and the principal markets of Ireland. He continued at this business in his native country until 1872, when he took passage for America. He located first at West Point, on the Hudson River, in the State of New York, and first worked for the Hon. Samuel Sloan and Secretary Fish. One year later he went to Newark, N. J., was employed in a mill at that place and there remained for a year and a half, when he went to Janesville, Wis., and was there engaged in lumbering and farming. He traveled quite extensively over the prairies of the North for twelve years, and then went back to Ireland, where he remained three months. Again returning to his adopted county, he went first to Janesville, Wis., but later emigrated to Nebraska and settled in Wood River, where he has been actively engaged in farming and stock-shipping ever since. He is the owner of 160 acres of land and ships over a hundred car-loads of stock per year. He has never married, and is a member of the Roman Catholic Church. His parents, Miles and Elizabeth (Coolin) Quinn, are both natives of Ireland, the former born in 1762 and died in 1868, and the latter born in 1766 and died in 1887, at the age of ninety-one years. Of the nine children born to their marriage, five sons and four daughters, seven are now living, but John Quinn is the only one in America. The Quinn family were originally from the North of Ireland, but were driven out in the time of the Rebellion and settled in County Wicklow. Four of his father's cousins were priests in the Catholic Church, and one of the most noted Catholic schools in Dublin, Ireland, was under their charge at last accounts. One of them was vicar general at Kingston, Ireland, and two of them were consecrated bishops and sent to Australia on missions. John Quinn is a powerfully built man, and in point of wit and humor is a typical Irishman. He is noted for fairness in dealing and is honest and upright.
RATHBUN, CYRUS P.
Cyrus P. Rathbun's career has been of much benefit and influence to the people, not only of Hall County, but throughout the State, and a sketch of his life will be of more than passing interest. He is an old settler of Center Township, Hall County, Neb., and was born in Canada West January 19, 1844, and is the fourth in a family of seven children born to the marriage of Daniel Rathbun and Ruth Ryder, both natives of York State, the former's birth occurring February 24, 1812. They were married in Canada about 1838, and in 1888 celebrated their golden wedding, and both are still living, their home being in Van Buren County, Mich. The paternal grandparents were William and Irene (Niles) Rathbun, the latter a native of Connecticut, and the maternal grandparents were Roland and Rebecca (Spencer) Ryder, both natives of the "Empire State." Cyrus P. Rathbun resided on a farm in Canada West until seventeen years of age, or until 1861, when he accompanied his parents to Van Buren County, Mich., that county continuing to be his home until 1868. He then bade adieu to his frinds, and after visiting for one week in Canada, he went to New York City and took the steamer "Henry Chauncey," with the intention of going to Oregon. He crossed the Isthmus of Panama, and went from there to San Francisco on the steamer "Golden City," and from San Francisco to Portland he took passage on the steamer "Oregonian." After spending six months in this State, engaged chiefly in saw-milling, he started from Salem, Ore., to assist in driving a drove of horses to Woodland, Cal., and in the last-named place fell in with some old acquaintances, and there remained some eighteen months, engaged in farming. He then went to Sacremento and bought a ticket over the Union Pacific Road for Omaha, Neb., and from there he went to Fremont County, Iowa, and until January, 1872, was engaged chiefly in the harness business in Fremont City. Since that time he has resided in Hall County, Neb., his farm being situated about three miles west of Grand Island. He proved up on his claim in 1877, after which he went to the Black Hills, and there spent some monghs engaged in mining. He is a Prohibitionist politically, and socially is a member of the A. O. U. W. He and wife, whom he married April 12, 1880, and whose maiden name was Emma A. Clark, are member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mrs. Rathbun was born in York State October 13, 1848, and by Mr. Rathbun has become the mother of two children: Ruth Myrtle (who died in the seventh year of her age) and John Wilbur.
Darius Richardson, farmer and poultry-raiser, Alda, Neb. It is a fact unnecessary of denial that a person is better fitted to follow the occupation with which he became familiar in early life than to engage in an undertaking learned in later years. This truth is borne out by the career of Mr. Richardson, who, from a boy, has known all the minute details of agricultural life. To this acquired knowledge may be added a natural faculty for that calling, for his father, Artemus Richardson, was also a farmer, although he also mined for a number of years in California. The latter was married to Miss Dorcas Hubbard, a native of Maine, where he also was born, and this union has resulted in the birth of six children. The parents both died in their native State, the mother in 1854 and the father in 1886. Darius Richardson was born in Oxford County, Me., in October, 1840, was next to the youngest in the above-mentioned family, and was educated in his native county. On June 21, 1861, he enlisted in Company H, Fifth Maine Infantry, for three years, and was assigned to the Army of the Potomac. He participated in the battle of Bull Run, then the Peninsula campaign, Gaines' Mill, Seven-Day battle, second battle of Bull Run, Antietam, Funkstown Heights, Fredericksburg and Chancellorsville. In 1863 he veteranized in the same company and regiment for the service, and was in the battle of Gettysburg. He received a gun-shot wound through his leg at the battle of the Wilderness, and was confined in the hospital at York, Pa., thirteen months, and was in bed three months of that time. He also had the typhoid fever, and has had a fever sore ever since the war. He was honorably discharged at York on June 17, 1865, and retuned to Maine. In 1866 he went to Ohio, and in 1868 settled in Summit County, of that State. In 1871 he moved to Howard County, Neb., settled on a farm, and engaged in the fruit industry, which he continued two years. He was married in Summit County, Ohio, in 1874, to Miss Emma A. Palmer, a native of that county and State. In 1873 Mr. Richardson located in Grand Island, clerked for about eighteen months, and then engaged in delivering goods, first in the city of Grand Island, where he remained until June, 1881, when he bought an improved farm of forty acres, and this he has since conducted with the success that attended his father's efforts in that chosen channel. He takes an active interest in politics, and votes with the Republican party. He has been justice of the peace for two years, and takes a decided interest in the temperance movement. Mrs. Richardson is a member of the Presbyterian Church. To this union have been born three living children: Clarence, Maud and Carl.
Lewis Richard, farmer and stock-raiser, Wood River, Neb. This very successfull agriculturist and stockman was born in the Empire State in 1831, and is the son of George Rickard, who was also born in the State of New York. The father was a farmer by occupation, and in his political views was an old-line Whig. He died in 1880, at the age of eighty-five years. He was married to Miss Margaret Grove, a native also of New York State, and to this union were born eleven children, six sons and five daughters, all of whom lived to be grown, and only one of the sons now deceased. Lewis Rickard received a common-school education, and when grown went to Wisconsin, where he followed farming for many years. He was there married in 1853 to Miss Maria A. Fellows, a native of Michigan, born in 1835, and the fruits of this union were nine children: Edward A., Martha A., Ada R. (born in 1863, and died in 1867), Melissa (wife of N. T. Knox), Tennant L., Kate, Abraham Lincoln, Leonard, Oliver G. and Mabel G. Mr. Richard resided in Wisconsin and Illinois about ten years, and then moved to Iowa in 1859. He located in Black Hawk County, and remained there and in Buchanan County for twelve years, engaged in farming all the time. He filled the office of township trustee there for several years. He left Buchanan County in 1871, emigrated to Nebraska, and took a homestead, which he settled on one year later. He is now the owner of 200 acres of land, and is one of the substantial men of the county. He is president of the Farmers' Alliance, and in his political views affiliates with the Republican party. He was treasurer of Harrison Township for one term. Mrs. Richard's parents, Milton and Olive Ann (Nichols) Fellows, were natives of Pennsylvania and New York, born in 1815 and 1814, respectively. The father was a soldier in the Black Hawk War, and died in 1885. The mother died in 1852. The Nichols were of Welsh and Dutch descent.
Charles Ridell has spent his life in pursuing the calling which is now receiving his attention, and his earnest endeavor coupled with strict integrity and honesty of purpose have resulted in placing him among the truly respected and honored agriculturists of Hall County. He was born in Columbus, Franklin County, Ohio, September 14, 1843, ad is a son of Hans and Magdaline (Elmer) Ridell, both of whom were of German birth, and were reared and married in the old country. They emigrated to the United States in 1836 and moved the following year to Columbus, Ohio, where Mr. Ridell followed his trade, that of carpenter, until his death in August, 1844, his wife's demise occurring in 1874. Charles Ridell lived in Columbus until six years of age, after which the family moved in the country, where he followed farming till manhood. He supplemented a common-school education with about one year's attendance in the academies and colleges of Delaware. On February 26, 1864, he enlisted in the Ninety-fifth Ohio Volunteers and served until the close of the war, receiving his discharge at Jackson, Miss., August 8, 1865, during his service having participated in the battle of Guntown, Miss. He was captured in this battle and was taken to that foul den, Andersonville, but five and one-half months after was paroled, sent home, remained three months and then rejoined his regiment. After the war was over he returned to Columbus, and after attending a college in Delaware, Ohio, for one term he taught school the following two winters, and then attended school until he came West in 1868. He first settled at Jacksonville, Ill., where he was watchman of the Deaf and Dumb Institute for one year, but he then came west to Nebraska and arrived at Grand Island in the fall of 1869, and has since been a resident of the county. There were not over three or four stores at Grand Island at that time, and the population consisted of about 300 souls. In the fall of 1870 Mr. Ridell entered eighty acres of land, has since added eighty acres more, and now has it all in a good state of cultivation, furnished with good buildings, fences, etc. He came here with but $100, and is now the owner of a fine home and owes no man a dollar. He is considered one of the substantial men of the county, and beside his farm above mentioned, is the owner of some vacant lots in Fullerton, Nance County, Neb., and also two residences there. March 22, 1870, his marriage to Miss Isabel Fivey took place in Jacksonville, Ill. She was born in 1844 in County Down, Ireland, and there reared and educated, a daughter of George and Betty Fivey. After coming to America she resided one year in Pennsylvania and three years in Jacksonville, Ill. She is an earnest member of the Presbyterian Church.
John Riss is a well-known grocer and pioneer citizen of Grand Island, Neb., and was born in Augsburg, Bavaria, March 27, 1842, a son of Anton and Mary Ann Riss, with whom he came to America when he was a little over five years of age. The family arrived in Milwaukee, Wis., September 18, 1847, and here the father's death occurred in 1853, the mother dying in 1858. During his youth John Riss learned the carpenter's trade, and in the State of Wisconsin continued to follow this occupation until the sounds of war caused him to enter upon the career of a soldier. With a patriotism which did not stop at the dark outlook of the future, he, on April 17, 1861, enlisted in Company H, First Wisconsin Infantry, and served four months. January 6, 1862, he joined Company H, Second Wisconsin Cavalry, with which he served three years and one month, and besides numerous skirmishes in which he participated, he was in a number of battles, among which may be mentioned Vicksburg. He was mustered out of service at Memphis, Tenn., February 8, 1865, and then returned to Milwaukee, but about two weeks later went to Council Bluffs, Iowa, where he spent two years learning the harness-maker's trade with an uncle. In 1867 he came to Grand Island, arriving May 6, and from that time until 1871 to 1883 he was engaged in the retail liquor business, and from the later date until the present time he has conducted a grocery, his efforts in this direction meeting with well deserved success. He is one of the oldest settlers of Grand Isalnd, and is well respected and highly esteemed by the inhabitants of the county, as well as by his fellow-townsmen. November 21, 1871, he was married to Miss Lena M. Schumer, who died June 24, 1883. On February 26, 1884, he took for his second wife Miss Lena M. Geisinger, and by her is the father of three children: John A., Roscoe C. P. and Joseph H. Mr. and Mrs. Riss are members of the Catholic Church. He is a Republican in politics, a member of the G. A. R., the Catholic Knights of America, the Liederkranz, the Platt-deutsche and the Old Settlers' Societies. He also belongs to the fire department, which he has served five years, receiving his diploma.
Henry Roach, one of Hall County's (Neb.) worthy and well-to-do farmers, is a son of Henry and Mary (Donahoe) Roach, both of whom were born in the "Emerald Isle," the latter's birth occurring in County Galway. The father was a victim of that barbarous system of land tenure which in this age is known only in Ireland, and he was four times evicted. He died in the land of his nativity, in 1849, having been one of six children: Mary, Kate, Celia, Margaret, Henry and John. Henry Roach, the immediate subject of this sketch, was one of seven children whose names are here given: Thomas, Michael, Henry, Cahterine, Celia, Ellen and Margaret, all of whom are living with the exception of John. The grandparnts were Thomas and Margaret (Ginnes) Roach and Michael and Ellen (Dolan) Donahoe, and the great-grandparents were Henry and Catherine (Fenarty) Roach and Barlett and Ellen (Henline) Donahoe. Henry Roach was born in County Galway, Ireland, in 1830, and on December 20, 1850, landed at New Orleans, La., and soon after came up the river to St. Louis, and from there went to Springfiled, Ill., to join some relatives. Here he remained until the opening of the Rebellion, and on March 14, 1861, he became a member of the Union army, under Capt. Hopkins, and went to Cairo, Ill., and was placed with his company to guard Fort Prentice. Six months later he moved to Paducah, Ky., from there to Fort Donelson, and here was mustered out of service in 1864. He then returned to Springfield, Ill., but in 1866 removed to Hall County, Neb., which State has since been his home. He was engaged in railroading on the Union Pacific Railroad until 1870, then took up a government claim on the northeast quarter of Section 4, Township 9, Range 12 west, and has since purchased forty acres more, which makes him an excellent farm. He has fine shade trees surrounding his farm, a good young orchard, and a fine grove of box-elder trees near his residence. He devotes ten acres to timothy and clover each year, and for the past six years has done well in this line. His horses, cattle and swine are of a good grade, and he is a thorough and thrifty farmer, and gives particular attention to all details. In 1874 he was married to Ellen Carnes, who died November 25, 1889, and he then married Mrs. Katherine Kilkenny, also a native of Ireland. Mr. Roach and his wife are members of the Roman Catholic Church, and he belongs to the Democratic party.
Joseph Roach, farmer, Alda, Neb. Mr. Roach owes his nativity to Clipston, North Hamptonshire, England, where he was born in 1835, and is now following a calling that has for ages received undivided efforts from many worthy individuals, and one that furnishes sustenance to the ready worker. He is the son of John and Elizabeth (Eames) Roach, both natives of England. The father followed farming in his native country untill 1855 and then emigrated to the United States, settling in Elyria, Ohio, where he resided until his death, which occurred when he was about eighty years of age. They were the parents of seven children, Joseph being third in order of birth, and all but one now alive. William was killed in West Virginia while fighting in the Union Army. He enlisted in Company K, Twenty-third Ohio Volunteer Infantry, May, 1861, and served his country faithfully and well. The mother died in Ohio at the age of forty-five years. Joseph Roach came to America when about eighteen years of age, and located in the Buckeye State. He came by himself, and his parents and brothers and sisters followed a couple of years later. After residing in Ohio for about fourteen years, engaged the principal part of the time in farming, he moved to Bloomington, Ill., in the spring of 1867, and remained there until the spring of 1876, when he came West and purchased government land in Hall County, Neb. He is now the owner of 160 acres and Wood River runs through both eighties. The location of the old government post-office is on his land. He was married in Ohio March 27, 1856, to Miss Eliza Bonner, a native of Remsen, Oneida County, N. Y., born in 1829. She grew to womanhood there and then went to Pennsylvania, thence nine months later to a brother in Ohio, where she met and was married to Mr. Roach. Their family circle numbers two living children: William C. and Marion C. Eliza D. Roach died October 24, 1867. Olive Elizabeth died in her twentieth year, on January 27, 1881, and was the wife of Matthew Curran. (Mr. Curran died June 18, 1881). Joseph E. is also deceased. Mr. Roach is a powerful man physically, measures six feet three inches in height, and at his best weight 240 pounds. His wife weights 237 pounds and is hearty and hale. She is a member of the Christian Church, and both have the respect and esteem of all acquainted with them. Mr. Roach is a Republican in politics, but is not a partisan in home matters.
ROBB, T. B.
T. B. Robb, farmer and stock-raiser, Doniphan, Neb. T. B. Robb, the son of Sylvester Robb, was born in Washington County, Pa., in 1841. His father was a native of Pennsylvania also, was a farmer by occupation, and was married to our subject's mother, whose maiden name was Isabella Moore. Eight children were the result of this union. In 1843 the father moved from Pennsylvania to Logan County, Ohio, where he continued his chosen calling. His death occurred in 1880. The mother is still living. T. B. Robb was reared to the life of a farmer, and received his education principally in the Buckeye State. He was married in Union County, Ohio, in 1868, to Miss Melvina Arrowhood, who was born in Ohio, and who was the daughter of Jacob Arrowhood, also a native of that State. The father moved to Illinois in 1860, but returned to Ohio, where he died in 1873. Mr. Robb settled in Iowa in 1868, and followed farming until 1872, when he moved to Hall County, Neb., and entered eighty acres of land. Mr. Robb lost his wife in 1874, and has three children as the result of this union: Eva May, James B. and Harry M. For his second wife Mr. Robb chose Mrs. Esther (Proctor), widow of William Bivin, a native of Iowa. Five children have been the fruits of this union: Cora Alice, Thomas, Theodore, Ora Otis and Inis Pearl. Mr. Robb has three step-children: Nora (now Mrs. Jackson, of Grand Island), Emma (now Mrs. Gideon, resides in Doniphan Township) and William. Mr. Robb has improved his homestead, added to it, and now is the owner of 160 acres of excellent land in a good state of cultivation. He has embarked in the fruit industry, and raises considerable small fruit. He is a Democrat in his political preferences, is a member of Doniphan Lodge No. 86, A. F. & A. M., has been treasurer of the lodge, and is also a member of Doniphan Lodge, A. O. U. W. He has experienced droughts, grasshopper raids, April storms, etc., in Nebraska, but thinks the State can not be beaten, and intends making it his permanent home. He is truly one of the respected men of the township, and by his quiet, unpretentious course has made many friends, and at the same time been very succesful.
ROBINSON, CALEB M., M. D.
Caleb M. Robinson, M. D., is one fo the best known physicians of Hall County, Neb., and keeps thoroughly apace with the times. He was born in Highland County, Ohio, March 29, 1826, and is a son of Joshua and Anna (Bentley) Robinson, both of whom were born in Gratiot County, Va., at the foot of the Blue Ridge Mountains. The family were Quakers, and Mrs. Robinson was a preacher of that denomination for many years. They moved to Ohio in December, 1825, being among the early settlers of Highland County, where the father passed from life in December, 1865, his wife having died in 1829. The Doctor is the youngest of four brothers and six sisters that grew to mature years, and he and three sisters are the only surviving members of the family, one sister being a preacher in the Quaker Church at Martinsville, Ohio. The Doctor received the advantages of a collegiate education in his native State, at Yellow Springs College, graduating in 1845, but some three years earlier had begun the study of medicine. He worked his own way through college, being engaged in teaching to defray his expenses, his first term being at the age of sixteen years, when he had about seventy-two puplis. He took his first medical lectures in an Allopathic College at Columbus in the fall of 1844, and in the spring of the following year he went to Cleveland, Ohio, and took a course in a medical institution of that city, graduating in the fall of that year. He next studied in a medical college of Cincinnati, and in the spring of 1846 went to Philadelphia, where he took two full courses in the Eclectic Medical College, graduating in the fall of 1846. After completing his course he went to East Liberty, Ohio, built a machine ship, and followed that business there and in Clinton County for several years. He was married in Wilmington, Ohio, in July, 1847, and prior to the late Civil War he had practiced his profession a short time. In April, 1861, he enlisted at the first call for troops in the three months' service, in the Twelfth Ohio Infantry, and was commissioned surgeon of his regiment, and at the expiration of his term of service he re-enlisted. He was then assigned to the National Guards, then to the Fifteenth Ohio Infantry, and served with that regiment until the close of the war. He was wounded October 28, 1864, while crossing the Chattahoochee River, but remained with the army until mustered out of service. He then returned to Wilmington, Ohio, and as he was much disabled from his wound, did nothing for a number of years. In 1868 he moved from Ohio to Missouri, and for three years practiced his profession in Macon City, and after one year's residence in Brunswick and two years' residence in Warrnsburg, he moved to Nebraska, arriving here in the month of October, 1873. After opening a farm and practicing his profession up to 1887 he moved to where he now resides, adjoining the village of Cairo, where he has since been in the active practice of his profession. He is a member of the State Medical Society, and attended the first medical society ever held in Grand Island. His first wife died in Ohio, her name being Martha J., a daughter of Joel Woodruff, an Ohioan, now deceased. The Doctor and his wife had two children: Mary Ann (the wife of William Rudduch, of South Bend, Ind.) and Samuel W. (of Akron, Ohio). The Doctor married his present wife at Macon City, Mo., January 26, 1870, her name being Elizabeth Ashbaugh, a daughter of Dr. J. L. and Cynthia E. Ashbaugh, of Carrollton, Mo. Mrs. Robinson was born in Kentucky, but was reared in Iowa and Missouri. One daughter and two sons have blessed this union: Estella May (now nineteen years of age, a successful teacher of the county), Charles (aged eighteen) and William Clarence (aged fifteen). The Doctor and his wife are members of the Christian Church, and he belongs to the Masonic and I. O. O. F. fraternities.
Thomas Robinson, machinist by trade, and commissioner of Hall County, Neb., is prominently identified with and has long been a factor in the progress and welfare of Grand Island. He was born in Lochwinnoch, Renfrewshire, Scotland, March 31, 1840, and is a son of William and Jane (Allan) Robinson, the former of whom was a shoemaker by trade. Jane Allan was a daughter of William Allan, a weaver, who reared quite a family of children, of whom Daniel was a cotton-spinner and teacher by ocupation. He was a warm personal friend of David Livingston, the great African explorer, during his collegiate studies at Glasgow University, and in later years carried on an uninterrupted correspondence with that gentleman, who wrote him many interesting anecdotes concerning his explorations, and made his home with him on his return visit to his old highland home. Thomas Robinson, the immediate subject of this sketch, grew to mature years in Scotland, and in the city of Glasgow learned the machinist's trade, his first work as a journeyman being done on the celebrated southern privateer, "Alabama." After working for the Lairds, at Birkenhead, for seven years, he, in 1872, emigrated to Canada, and for some time was an employe on the Grand Trunk Railway, of Canada, at Montreal. In 1875 he came to the United States, and from that time until 1881 worked for the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Railroad, at Stuart, Iowa, but in the last named year severed his connection with that corporation and removed to Omaha, Neb., and in 1882 came to Grand Island, where he has since remained, and where he has become well and favorably known. He was first married to Miss Helen Leslie, a native of Edinburgh, Scotland, and a daughter of Thomas Leslie, a merchant tailor, and by him she bore a family of four children: Thomas, James, Helen and Elizabeth. His present wife was Miss Mary E. Doyle, and they worship at the Congregational Church. Mr. Robinson is vice-president of the Burns Club, and has shown his approval of secret societies by becoming a member of the A. O. U. W. and the K. of L. He is now serving his second term as county commissioner and has shown himself to be a man of capability, sound judgment, broad intelligince and progressive ideas.
Oscar Roeser is engaged in the gocery business in Grand Island, Neb., and although he has only been established in the grocery business since 1882, he has built up a trade and founded a reputation equal to any of the oldest houses in the city. He was born in Saginaw, Mich., January 4, 1852, and is a son of William and Theresa (Wasold) Roeser, who were born and reared in Germany, but who were married in Saginaw, Mich., where they still reside. In a family of ten children born to them, eight were sons and two were daughters, and the eldest was the subject of this sketch, he being one of the eight children who are living. He attained manhood in his native city and there received a good education in the public schools. When not pursuing his studies he worked in his father's general mercantile establishment, the latter having started this business in 1851, and still continues it, but after acquiring a sufficient education he gave up this work and engaged in wielding the ferule, continuing for two terms near Saginaw. In 1877 he left his native county and came directly to Grand Island, Neb., where he has ever since made his home, and in this city he is now a leading business man. During the first five years of his residence here he was employed by Fred Hedde as manager of a lumber yard, but in 1882 he took the money he had earned and saved and invested it in groceries, and this business has continued to receive his attention up to the present time. He has been unusually successful, and holds the confidence of the citizens of Grand Island for integrity and sound judgment. His efforts on behalf of supplying dealers with the best quality of goods at little money are fully appreciated, and have gained for him an inviable name in the mercantile circles throughout the county. On December 6, 1884, his marriage occurred to Miss Minna M. Stolley, a daughter of William Stolley, a pioneer settler of the county. Mrs. Roeser was born on the old Stolley homestead, one mile south of Grand Island, and her union with Mr. Roeser has resulted in the birth of a son, Emil F. In his political views Mr. Roeser is a devoted member of the Republican party.
One of the neatest and best-kept farms in Hall County, Neb., is that owned by Mr. Rogers. It comprises 280 acres, situated about four miles from Grand Island. Mr. Rogers was born in Casco, Me., in the month of August, 1827, and there grew to manhood, receiving a good common-school education. In 1855 he came west and settled in Aurora, Ill., where he engaged in contracting and building, and there met and married Miss Jennie Pierce, daughter of Robert and Elizabeth Pierce, of Denbigh, North Wales. Mrs. Rogers was born, reared and educated in Wales, and in 1857 emigrated to the United States with her uncle, John Pierce, Esq., of Big Rock, Ill., and after her marriage she and Mr. Rogers resided in Aurora for about fifteen years. The latter, in addition to contracting and building, worked in the railroad shops of the Chicago, Burlington & Quincy Company. In 1871 the family settled in Hall County, Neb., and have since made their home on his present farm, all of which is in a good state of cultivation. He has a large two story house, good barns and other outbuildings, a fine, large grove, and raises a condiserable quantity of small fruit. Mr. Rogers is a Republican in politics, and has held a number of local positions of trust and honor in the county, and has served as a delegate to the county and State conventions. They have three sons: Adin M. (who is married and resides on the farm), Lew Wallace (who is in the express business in San Francisco, married, and has one child, two years old, Earl Emerson) and Ernest P. (who is on the Union Pacific Railroad). They also have an adopted daughter, Mamie M. Genong (who has lived with them since she was six years of age, with the exception of four years away at school). The family attend the Episcopalian Chruch of Grand Island, but Mr. Rogers is a Universalist in faith. Mr. and Mrs. Rogers have traveled condiderable during their married life. While living in Aurora (1868) they spent the summer in Maine, visiting Mr. Rogers' parents and brothers and sisters, and in 1873 Mrs. Rogers spent several months in Europe, visiting her parents and sisters, and in 1880 both spent eight months in Europe, traveling in England, Scotland and France, visiting Liverpool, Manchester and London in England, Glasgow and Edinburgh in Scotland, and Kieppe, Rouen, Paris and Versailles in France, also Denbigh, North Wales, Mrs. Roger's birth place, and in 1888 Mrs. Rogers passed eight months in California, spending most of her time in San Francisco, Oakland and Alameda, and in 1889 Mr. Rogers spent six months in California. Both are so delighted with the lovely climate of the Pacific coast they intend to spend their winters there in the future.
ROSE, H. A.
H. A. Rose is a pioneer settler of Alda Township, Hall County, Neb., having entered land here as early as November, 1863, amounting to 160 acres. He came here in the month of April from his native State of Ohio, his birth having occurred in Geauga County in 1835, he being the eldest of ten children, eight sons and two daughters, born to Augustus and Elizabeth (Robb) Rose. He was born in Burton, Geauga County, Ohio, November 17, 1809, and his wife in Pennsylvania. Augustus Rose became familiar with farming in his youth, and also learned the wagon-maker's trade in Connecticut. Then he returned to Ohio, and that continued to be his home until his death, which occurred in Austinburgh, Ashtabula County, in 1875. He was an active Republican in his political views, and was a member of the Sons of Temperance. His wife survived him four years. H. A. Rose was educated in the common schools of Geauga County, and learned the details of farm work from his father. He was married in Ohio in 1871, his wife being a Miss Minnie W. Wiggins, a native of Ohio, and a daughter of Sanford Wiggins, of Ashtabula County, who, in 1849, crossed the plains to California in search of gold and passed over the land where Mr. Rose now farms. The latter's farm in finely improved with buildings of different kinds. He spent many of his early years in Nebraska in freighting between Fort Kearney, Omaha and Council Bluffs, as there were no railroads at that time and were none until three years after his arrival. He is a Republican in politics, and from 1866 to 1868 seerved as county sheriff, his territory extending over a very large area. He joined the I. O. O. F. lodge in Ohio. Mr. Rose has seen the complete growth of Hall County, and can well remember the time when immense herds of buffaloes roamed the prairies, and has often seen bands of Indians a hundred strong. He has always taken an active interest in the advancement of the county and has done his share to aid in its development. Although he has been moderator of his district school board his wife, until her recent death March 18, 1890, filled that position. She was a faithful member of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and her union with Mr. Rose resulted in the birth of one child, Augustus Henry, who is now attending school in Grand Island.
ROSS, HENRY S.
ROSS, JOSEPH T.
Henry S. and Joseph T. Ross are the representatives of an old and highly respected family, and the grandsons of Alexander and Sarah (Tipton) Ross, who became the parents of the following children: William (born May 12, 1799), Alexander (July 4, 1801), Nancy (October 6, 1803), John (February 20, 1806), Mary (November 6, 1808), James (January 17, 1811), David (June 4, 1813) and Sarah (May 3, 1817). The only one of this family now known to be living is Nancy, wife of John Heron, now residing in Quincy, Ill. To the parents of the subjects of this sketch, whose names were James and Catherine (Spohn) Ross, the following family was born: Henry S. (born January 27, 1833), Alexander (June 14, 1835), Mary A. (in 1837), Barbara (in 1839), Hannah (in 1841) and Joseph T. (June 15, 1843). Henry S. Ross, the eldest member of this family, was married in 1853 to Miss Annie Miller, a daughter of Joseph and Barbara Miller, of Ohio, and a family of five children were born to their union: David A. (who was born February 19, 1854), Willaim H. (January 27, 1857), Schuyler C. (May 26, 1862), Solomon A. (March 15, 1869) and Rose E. (November 1, 1872). The mother of these children died on March 12, 1882, and September 6, of the same year, Mr. Ross espoused Miss Mary P. Stanley, a daughter of A. L. and Phoebe (Cook) Stanley, of Iowa. She was born in 1849, and is the mother of one child, James A. (who was born September 10, 1883). Upon the breaking out of the Rebellion Mr. Ross joined the Union army, enlisting in the Eighty-seventh Regiment, Indiana Volunteer Infantry, under Col. H. G. Shryock, and was mustered into service August 31, 1862, at Indianapolis and arrived at Louisville, Ky., on September 1. On October 1 they started in pursuit of Bragg and on October 6 they had a skirmish with Bragg's rear guard at Springfield. On the memorable October 8, 1862, when the wavering columns of Gen. McCook were so hotly pressed at Perryville, Ky., by the superior numbers of the rebels, the Third Brigade, commanded by Gen. Steadman, and of which the Eighty-seventh was a part, rallied to his support and ended the unequal conflict. His command discontinued its pursuit of Bragg at Crab Orchard, October 16, 1862, and on the 20th arrived in Lebanon, Ky., and on November 3 arrived in Bowling Green, reaching Mitchellville, Tenn., on the 8th. After moving to many different points in this State, they had a sharp skirmish with Van Dorn's Rebel Cavalry, on March 5, 1863, and were afterward in the battles of Murfreesboro, Chickamouga, Missionary Ridge, Buzzard's Roost, were with Sherman at Goldsboro, N. C., from there went to Richmond, thence to Washington, D. C., where he received his discharge and returned home. In the spring of 1866 Mr. Ross came to Hall County, Neb., and took up a claim, but in the fall of 1868 he moved to Cherokee County, Kas., where he resided until the fall of 1889, when he returned to Nebraska. Joseph T. Ross imigrated to Hall County, Neb., in the spring of 1867, took up a claim and here has made his home up to the present time. In 1873 he ws united in marriage to Miss Catherine Burmood, a daughter of Philip and Catherine Burmood, and she is an ernest member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Ross is a Republican and has taken an active interest in local politics, and has served six years as constable and three years as justice of the peace. He is the owner of a fine farm, every acre of which is tillable, and he has it well improved with good buildings and well stocked. In the year 1861 Joseph T. Ross joined the Federal army, becoming a member of the Forty-sixth Indiana Regiment, under Col. G. N. Fitch, and served three years and eleven months in Company K. This company was recruited in Fulton County, was organized at Logansport, Ind., October 17, 1861, and was mustered into service in November, 1861, under Lieut. Phelps. Soon after he found himself in Kentucky, and still later in Missouri, Tennessee, Arkansas, Mississippi and Louisiana, and during his term of service he participated in the following engagements: New Madrid, Mo., in 1862; Ruddle's Point, in 1862; St. Charles, Ark., the same year, and in 1863 the battles of Fort Pemberton, Miss., Port Gibson, Chamion's Hill, siege of Vicksburg, Jackson, and in May, 1864, at Algiers, La., and was mustered out of service September 18, 1865.
Henry Rosswick, farmer and stockman, of Hall County, Neb. Of German birth and antecedents, Mr. Rosswick possesses to a remarkable degree the qualities which seem to be characteristic of those of German descent-frugality, industry, perseverance and strict attention to business. His parents were people of like habits. He received a good education in the common schools of his native country, and after completing his studies learned the tailor's trade. When a young man he came to the United States, arriving in New York City in May, 1854, being then seventeen years of age, and worked at his trade for about one year, after which he located in Philadelphia, remaining there some two years. The two following years he spent in Freehold, N. J., and August 29, 1861, he enlisted in the Fifth New Jersey Infantry for three years, and served until he received his discharge at the expiration of his term. He was promoted from a private to a corporal, and was in a number of hotly contested engagements, the most important of which were: Williamsburg, Fair Oaks, the second battle of Bull Run, and a number of others. He lost his right arm at Bull Run, being permanently disabled, and after receivieng his discharge went to Pittsburgh, Pa., where he made his home for about three yers, then retuned to Newark N. J. From there he went (three years later) to Milwaukee, Wis., thence to Nebraska in 1872, locating in Hall County, where he took up a homestead claim and began improving his farm, which consists of 120 acres of good tillable land, on which is a good frame residence, barns, etc. He is a Republican in politics and has held a number of local offices. He was married in Hall County, April 1, 1879, to Mrs. Tabitha Farmer, a native of Ohio, reared and educated in Washington County. She is a daughter of Seneca Cowee, of that county, and was first married in her native State, moving west with her husband in 1873, settling on a homestead of 160 acres in Hall County, Neb., which place Mrs. Rosswick now owns. Her first marriage resulted in the birth of five children: Alice (wife of Frank Perden, of Grand Island), C. C (who married and resides in Illinois), H. W., Retta M. (a successful teacher of Hall County) and Florence. A son has been born to her last marriage, George Henry, a lad of ten years. Mr. Rosswick is a member of the G. A. R. organization and also the Farmers' Alliance.
ROUSE, GEORGE LOTHROP
George Lothrop Rouse is accounted, and justly so, one of the successful farmers of Hall County, Neb., and is one of the early settlers of Center Township. He was born in Ottawa County, Ohio, June 17, 1846, but his father, who also bore the name of George Lothrop, was born near Rochester, N. Y., September 18, 1809, and was a son of Lothrop and Sabra Rouse. The father of the subject of this sketch was marrieed to Miss Mary Knapp, born in the "Nutmeg State" September 18, 1817, their union taking place in Ottawa County, Ohio, about 1837, and resulting in the birth of eight children, of whom George Lothrop was the fifth. Their names are: Mary Sabra (born January 8, 1839), Laura (August 3, 1841), Clara Lucretia (January 10, 1843, deceased), Betsey Wilson (September 24, 1844, and died November 20, 1864), George Lothrop, Ida Iantha Irene (April 24, 1848), Joseph (born July 30, 1850, and died February 26, 1854) and Deborah Ann (born December 20, 1851). The father, who was a carpenter by trade and followed farming and stock-raising throughout the latter part of his life, died in Ottawa County, Ohio, May 26, 1851. Some two or three years later his widow married Robert Killey, with whom she now resides in Ottawa County, and by whom she has three children: Frances, Blanche and William H. The subject of this sketch spent his boyhood and youth on the old home farm on which he was born, and during the winter months attended the district schools and during the summer assisted in tilling the soil. When sixteen years of age he entered Baldwin University at Berea, Ohio, but after attending this institution two terms he entered Oberlin College, of Oberlin, Ohio, which institution he attended two terms. When twenty-one years of age he entered upon the avocation of a teacher, and altogether taught five consecutive terms, the second term being in his old home district in Ottawa County, and the first, third, fourth and fifth in Whiteside County, Ill. His last two terms were taught during the winter of 1872-73 and 1873-74. Meanwhile, in the fall of 1872, he came to Hall County, Neb., and bought 320 acres of land in what was then Alda Precinct. Nobember 13, 1873, he was married in Whiteside County, Ill., to Miss Susanna Augusta Rexroad, she having been born in that county May 8, 1875, being a daughter of Henry and Mehulda (Hoffman) Rexroad. The father was a Virginian born June 7, 1815, a son of Henry Rexroad, who was also born in that State, being the son of another Henry Rexroad. The mother of Mrs. Rouse was born in the "Old Dominion" in 1825, and was a daughter of Michael and Susanna (Sommers) Hoffman, who also belonged to the F. F. V.'s. [Transcriber's note: F. F. V. stands for "First Families of Virginia."] Mr. and Mrs. Rexroad were married in Whiteside County, Ill., about 1845, [Note: the marriage took place Mar. 15, 1846] and reared a family of three children, of whom Mrs. Rouse was the youngest, only two being now alive, the other member being Adam Francis. Eliza Ann died at the age of five years. The mother of these children died in May, 1853, and in 1857 [August 12, 1857 in Henderson Co., IL] the father wedded Mary M. Thompson, with whom he now resided in Morrison, Whiteside County, Ill. Mrs. Rouse spent all her early life in her native county and received a very good early education. During her early womanhood she taught school for three years in Whitside County, her first term being taught at the age of eighteen years. In the spring of 1874, or just after closing his last term of school, Mr. Rouse, in company with his wife, came to Hall County, Neb., and began housekeeping, seven and a half miles west of the county court-house at Grand Island. Ever since that time Mr. Rouse has given his attention to agriculture, and is now considered one of the leading farmers and stockmen of the county. He has made a number of additions to his original purchase of land, and is now the owner of a magnificent farm of 640 acres. He and wife are members of the Presbyterian Church, she having joined at the age of sixteen years, and Mr. Rouse is a member of the Masonic Lodge, in which he has reached the degree of Knight Templar. He is also a member of the A. O. U. W., and organized the third Farmers' Alliance in the State, and was sent as a delegated to the first State Alliance. He has always been a stanch Republican in politics, and in November, 1885, was elected a member of the county board of supervisors and has served in that capacity ever sice, having been re-elected in 1886-87-88 and again in 1889. During the past three years he has served as chairman of the board. He is at present chairman of the Republican County Central Committee, having been elected in the fall of 1889, and takes a lively interest in political affairs, and is one of his party's most active workers in the county. He is an intelligent and influential man, and as a citizen holds a prominent place. He and wife are hightly respected and have many warm friends. Their family is as follows: George Lothrop (born March 24, 1875), Mabel Margaret Augusta (born April 15, 1877), Henry Francis (born May 19, 1879), William Wayne (born March 30, 1881), Blake Howard (born May 10, 1883), Mary Laura (born January 31, 1885), Ida Agnes (born February 12, 1887) and an infant son (born August 24, 1889, and died unnamed.)
ROYS, GEORGE CHESTER
George Chester Roys is one of the successful business men of Grand Island, Neb., and by trade is a mason, contractor and builder. He was born in Worcester, Mass., November 27, 1856, and is a son of John Benedict and Lucy D. (Aldrich) Roys, the former of whom was born in Waterbury, Vt., and was a builder by occupation. His father, Benedict Roys, was a blacksmith by ocupation. The Roys are of Scotch descent, and settled in Vermont prior to the Revolutionary War, coming from Canada. The maternal grandfather, Simon Aldrich, was a farmer, whose ancestors first settled in Rhode Island. George Chester Roys received his education and grew up to manhood in Boston, Mass., and in that city he learned the mason's trade. Thinking to better his financial condition, and under the impression that the West offered better inducements to a man of enterprise and indistry, he came to Nebraska in 1879, and located at Sutton, where he was engaged in farming until the spring of 1882, when he came to Grand Island, and has since identified himself with the building interests of this place. He was married in Toledo, Ohio, in 1883, to Miss Elizabeth Slater, a native of Boston, Mass., and a daughter of James Slater, and their marriage has resulted in the birth of a son and daughter: Alice and Chester Stanley. The mother of these children passed from life September 25, 1889, and is buried in the cemetery at Grand Island. Mr. Roy [sic] is a Select Knight in the A. O. U. W. He is a stockholder in the Grand Island Improvement Company.
RYAN, GEORGE F.
George F. Ryan, one of Grand Island's most worthy and esteemed citizens, is a leading undertaker and furniture dealer of that place. Nowhere within the limits of Hall County is there to be found a man possessed of more energy, determination or force of character, and being honest to a fault in all his business transactions he has won the confidence and esteem of all who know him. He was born in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., March 15, 1841, and was the eldest, and he and a brother are now the only ones living of a family of three children born to the marriage of Benjamin F. Ryan and Minerva Goodale, who were born in the house in which the subject of this sketch was born May 20, 1817, and in Jefferson County, N. Y., December 16, 1816, respectively. Their union took place in the early part of 1840. The paternal grandfather emigrated from the State of Vermont and settled in St. Lawrence County, N. Y., where he followed the occupation of a farmer and reared a family of twelve children, Benjamin F. being the next to the youngest in the family. The maternal grandfather, Aaron Goodale, was also a tiller of the soil. George F. Ryan spent his early days at farm work in his native county, and also attended the district school until he reached the age of sixteen years, at which time he entered the Gouverneur Wesleyan Seminary, which institution he attended three terms, and at the age of nineteen years he became a school teacher in his home district. October 5, 1861, he entered the Union service, becoming a member of Company C, Sixtieth New York Regiment, with which he served until the close of the war, having re-enlisted December 25, 1863, and during his service he participated in the battles of Chancellorsville, Antietam and Gettysburgh. He was wounded May 26, 1864, in the engagement at New Hope Church, Ga., by a ball in the left leg, and was in the hospital at Jeffersonville, Ind., until January, 1865, at which time he had recoverd sufficiently to again enter service, and joined his regiment at Raleigh, N. C., April 24, 1865. As to his rank it should be said that he enlisted as a private, but, upon the organization of his company he was elected a corporal, and was promoted to sergeant in November, 1862, becoming in the fall of 1863 orderly sergeant. He was commissioned first lieutenant December 19, 1864, to rank from September 17, 1864, but did not receive his commission until after he had rejoined his regiment the following April. From the time he was mustered in as first lieutenant until he was discharged he commanded his company, its captain during this time being absent. The war being closed the Government had no further use for his services, and his final discharge was issued July 17, 1865, after which he returned to his home in New York. His military service, which covered a period of nearly four years, was characterized by loyalty, courage and devotion to the cause he espoused, and in whatever capacity he served he acted in a manner becoming a brave and faithful soldier. From August, 1865, until the following November he remained at home on the farm, but he then entered Eastman's National Business College, at Poughkeepsie, N. Y., in whcih institution he completed a full course, graduating March 12, 1866. After spending the summer of that year at home on the farm, in September he accepted a position as book-keeper with the firm of Beach & Dodge, proprietors of a tannery at Harrisville, N. Y., and remained in their service two years. For a few years following the most of his time was spent in laboring on the home farm, but he was also engaged a portion of this time as book-keeper. May 24, 1872, he started for the State of Nebraska and reached Grand Island June 6. Shortly after he took up a homestead claim in Merrick County, about eight miles northeast of Grand Island, and here resided, giving his attention to agricultural pursuits until 1877, moving in April of that year to Grand Island, where he has since continued to make his home, and of which he is a prosperous and influential business man and a worthy and honored citizen. From April, 1877, until May 1, 1881, he aced as book-keeper for E. R. Wiseman, a lumber and grain dealer, but for one year following was employed in the same capacity in the dry goods establishment of H. H. Glover. May 1, 1882, he engaged in the grocery business, in partnership with W. E. Lorenzen and H. Thomas, the name of the firm being Thomas & Co. He retired from this business in January, 1887, and December 16, of the same year, engaged in the furniture and undertaking business, in partnership with A. H. Böhne, the firm name being Böhne & Ryan. They have been doing a successful business ever since and are now one of the leading firms of the kind in this part of the State. Both Mr. Ryan and his partner are among the very best citizens of Grand Island and possess the full confidence of the public. They are men of unimpeachable honesty, and being of pleasant and sociable dispositions, they have many warm friends. Mr. Ryan is a prominent member of the G. A. R. and takes a very active part in all the workings of that order. He is also a member of the K. of L., and in politics is a Democrat. In the fall of 1887 he was the candidate of his party for the office of county clerk, but failed to overcome the large opposing majority. He is a man of good habits and his life is wholly above reproach.
This is a USGenNet Certified Safe-Site. USGenNet is an IRS-approved nonprofit public benefit corporation, solely supported by voluntary contributions. All copyrights are the property of individual submitters, and this site is in full compliance with with USGenNet's Conditions of Use.
2003 © Kaylynn, for the AHGP