A-C D-F G-H J-L M-O P Q-R S-V W-Z
S through V
SAGE, M. H. [Transcriber's note: Mr. Sage's first name was "Morris," according to Civil War records.]
M. H. Sage, farmer and stock-raiser, Underwood, Neb. A stranger in passing over this portion of Hall County can not but admire the many beautiful places to be seen on every hand-places which indicate by their appearance the abode of men, leaders in matters pertaining to husbandry. M. H. Sage belongs to this class. The owner of 160 acres of land, he is actively and successfully engaged in farming, conduction all his operations according to the most advanced ideas. This place is an excellent stock farm, and upon it are to be found good graded animals. Mr. Sage came originally from Genesee County, N. Y., born in 1838, and is the younger in a family or two children born to the union of Hezekiah and Charlotte (Hinsdale) Sage, natives of Connecticut. At an early day, the father went to New York, was married there and there remained until his death, which occurred about 1841. He was a mechanic by trade. His wife died in June, 1887. The paternal grandfather, Moses Sage, was a native of Cinnecticut and a sailor. He was in the war of 1812, was taken prisoner and confined in Dartmouth prison, England, and was shot through the knee while in prison by Capt. Shortland ordering the guards to fire on the prisoners. Later he returned to Connecticut, where his death occurred. The great-grandfather Hinsdale was in the Revolutionary War, and had three sons in the War of 1812. The Hinsdale family were among the early settlers of this country, coming here some time in the colonial period. M. H. Sage was reared in McLean County, Ill. (whither his mother had moved when he was about seven years of age), and was educated in the schools of Bloomington. He was one of the first students in the Wesleyan University under President Andrews and Prof. Goodfellow, the college being in the basement of the Methodist Episcopal Church. Mr. Sage attended two years and then went on the lakes as a sailor. After this he was on salt water, belonging to Admiral Dupont's fleet. In August, 1861, he enlisted for three years, or during the war, in Company C, Thirty-third Illinois Infantry, and was assigned to the Western department in Missouri, under Gen. Fremont. He was in the battle of Fredericktown and was discharged at Black River, Ark., in 1862 on account of pneumonia. As soon as able, Mr. Sage went to Chicago, and July 9, 1862, joined the United States navy for one year on the flagship, "Wabash," commanded by Admirals Dupont and Dahlgreen. He went to Hilton Head and along the coast, and was then discharged from the navy, by reason of expiration of his term of service. In October, 1863, he returned to McLean County, Ill., and in January of the following year enlisted in Company I, Third Illinois Cavalry, for three years, and was assigned to the Western department. He went to Memphis, and was in the battle of Tupelo and Okolona. He then returned to Memphis and was there ordered on a five-days' scout, serving in that capacity in Kentucky for five months. He joined the regular army prior to the battle of Nashville, serving through that campaign under Thomas, then went into quarters, and in 1865 went to St. Louis, thence to St. Paul, Minn., and in July, 1865, was ordered across the country westward, after the Sioux Indians. October 10, 1865, he was honorably discharged from service from Fort Snelling, and returned to McLean County, Ill., where he continued farming in that and Livingston Counties. He was married in Genesee County, N. Y., in July, 1867, to Miss Elmira E. Hinsdale, a native of Genesee County, N. Y., and to them was born one child, Charley H. Mr. Sage is a member of A. J. Smith Post No. 65, Doniphan, Neb., and his son is a member of the Sons of Veterans. Mr. Sage is a member of the South Platte Alliance, and is one of the representative men of the county. He has taken quite an interest in politics, but votes now independent of party. A number of times he has been a delegate to conventions. Mrs. Sage is a member of the relief corps. Mr. Sage is the oldest settler in Upland Township, and there were but seven voters in the township at the time he first settled here.
SALTER, JAMES H.
James H. Salter, farmer and stockman, Shelton, Neb. Of the many citizens of foreign birth now resideing in Hall County, none are more deserving of mention than Mr. Salter, who owes his nativity to Marseilles, France, where he was born in 1846. His father, John W. Salter, was a native of England, and was married there to Miss Mary A. Nush, a native of England. He was a contractor and a brickmaker by trade, and went to Southern France, where he followed his trade until the religious war broke out, when he returned to England. After this he came to America, settled in St. Joseph, Mich., and there followed farming until his death, in 1888, when about seventy-three years of age. The mother is still living, and her home is in Three River, Mich., but a present she is in Fort Wayne, Ind. To this marriage were born fifteen children, eight of whom lived to maturity, and our subject is the third in order of birth. The latter grew to manhood in Three Rivers, Mich., and attended the common schools. He was married to Miss Mary M. Preston, a native of New York State, born in 1850, but who was reared in Michigan, where she received her education. Her father was a native of New York, and was a resident of Flowerfield Township. He bought government land close to Three Rivers, and owns a farm there. He is still alive, and is about seventy years of age. He came west in 1868, and now resides in Brown County, Neb. John W. Salter [father of the subject] enlisted as a soldier in the Union army, Comapny E, Eleventh Michigan Infantry, and served three years in the Western army, participationg in the battles of Stone River, Chickamauga, Buzzard's Roost and others. His son, James H. Salter, entered Company G, Thirteenth Michigan, and was under Gens. Buel, Rosecrans and Sherman. He served two years of his first enlistment, then re-enlisted for three years, and served as corporal until the close of the war, taking part in the battles of Perrysville, Pittsburg Landing, Mission Ridge, Chackamauga, Savannah, and was taken prisoner before the battle of Bentonville, N. C. He was a prisoner at Salisbury one month and twenty-seven days, and saw Jefferson Davis on the run through the town. Mr. Salter managed to escape, was caught again, but was only retained a very few days. He returned to Michigan after the war, and farmed in that State until 1878, when he came to Nebraska, and bought railroad land. He is now the owner of 160 acres of land here, and has a half-section in cultivation in Washington County. He went to Colorado two years ago, and took a homestead. He is a member of the G. A. R., and is a Republican in politics. His wife is a Seventy-day Adventist. In the year 1887 he enlisted in Company F, Regiment of Nebraska National Guards, as second sergeant, and served one year and four months. Upon removing to Colorado he received his discharge. He had two brothers in the late war. Silas Salter enlisted in 1862, at the age of fourteen years, and died soon after the war was over. George Salter enlisted in 1864, and died at Louisville, Ky.
SCHISLER, Samuel M.
Like many of the representative citizens and farmers of Hall County, Neb., Mr. Schisler is a Pennsylvanian, his birth occurring in York County, March 2, 1844. His parents, John and Martha (Myers) Schisler, were also born in York County, Pa., and the former was a farmer by occupation, and died in his native county in 1861, his wife having passed from life in 1846. Samuel M. Schisler enlisted from his native county in the Federal army in the fall of 1864, becoming a member of the Two Hundred and Second Pennsylvania Infantry, and served until July, 1865, having participated in a number of skirmishes, and rising from the ranks to the position of corporal. After his return to York County, he worked at the shoemaker's trade for about two years, then moved to Hartford City, Ind., where he was employed for three and a half years, but since 1871 has been a resident of Nebraska. He took up a soldier's claim in Hall County, but after residing on it for several years he sold out and pre-empted the claim where he now lives, being at the present time the owner of 320 acres of land, on which are fair buildings and other improvements. Mr. Schisler is a Republican in politics, and has held a number of local positions of honor and trust, such as supervisor, justice of the peace, etc. He became a member of the Masonic order while a resident of Indiana, in 1867, and is now a Master Mason, and has held all the chairs in the I. O. O. F. He was married in Illinois in June, 1869, to Miss Mary E. Wingert, who was born and reared in Pennsylvania, a daughter of Peter Wingert, now of Hall County, Neb. This union has resulted in the birth of six children: Lillian, Ruth, Edith, Edward, Rosa and Pearl.
SCHOOLEY, Mrs. L. J.
Mrs. L. J. Schooley, Shelton, Hall County, Neb. This intelligent and highly esteemed lady, who owes her nativity to Indiana, where her birth occurred in 1844, removed with her parents, S. D. and Nancy (Lowry) Jones, to Illinois, when quite young. The father was a native of the Blue Grass State, born in 1817. He accompanied his parents to Indiana when a boy, there grew to manhood, and followed farming in that State. He was married in 1838 to Miss Lowry, subsequently moving to De Witt County, Ill., where he was justice of the peace and school director, etc. He removed to Nebraska in 1878, and from there to Southern Kansas in the fall of the same year, where he now resides. He is a devout member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. He was a Union man in principle during the late war. He is not, nor has he ever been a strong man physically. His wife was born in 1819 in the Blue Grass State, and is also a member of the Methodist Episcopal Church. They were the parents of fourteen children, thirteen of whom grew to maturity. Mrs. L. J. Schooley was the fourth child in order of birth. She arrived at womanhood in De Witt County, Ill., where she received her education in the common schools. In 1874 she was married to A. D. Schooley, a native of De Witt County, born in 1841, and who died June 10, 1881. He emigrated west in 1872, entered land, and in the fall of 1874 returned to Illinois, where he was married to Miss L. J. Jones. Then he brought his wife west. They were eaten out by grasshoppers in the fall of 1876 and returned to Illinois, where they remained until 1877, when they returned to Nebraska. Mrs. Schooley is the owner of 160 acres of excellent land, lives but three miles from Shelton, and rents her farm herself. Her sister, Miss Ada Jones, resides with her. Mr. Schooley was a soldier in the Union army, Company I, One Hundred and Seventh Regiment, Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered in at Camp Butler September 4, 1862
Fred Schroeder, farmer and stock-dealer, Alda, Neb. The name that heads this sketch is that of one of the well-known residents of Alda Township, who, like many other settlers in the county, came originally from Prussia, where his birth occurred in 1840. His parents, Fred and Mary (Schmidt) Schroeder, were also natives of Prussia, and the father was a teacher by profession. The parents remained in Germany all their lives, the father dying in 1843, and the mother in 1872. Fred Schroeder, Jr., was reared and educated in his native country, and was there married in 1862 to Miss Sophia Lepp, a native of Prussia, who bore him eight children, five now living: William (married, and resided near his father), Charley, Henry, Lizzie and Otto. After his marriage Mr. Schroeder worked at farm labor until 1867, when he left his mother country and set sail for America. He first settled in Syracuse, N. Y., where he worked at the stone-mason trade, and afterward clerked in a whole-sale store. He came to Hall County, Neb., in 1871, entered 160 acres of land, and there remained until 1874, when he returned to Syracuse, N. Y. He there followed farming for six years, but in 1881 returned to Hall County, Neb., settled on the homestead which he has owned ever since 1871, and is now the owner of 488 acres of good land, all well improved. He has a good farm-house, good barns, outbuildings, etc., and has planted a good orchard. He also raises a good grade of Durham stock, and feeds from seventy-five to one hundred head yearly. He is not active in politics, but votes with the Republican party. Mr. Schroeder is a self-made man, having accumulated all he has by his individual efforts. He is always active in assisting all enterprises for the good of the county, and as a citizen and neighbor is held in high esteem.
SCHROEDER, Hans H.
Hall County has long had the reputation of being one of the best farming counties in the State, and her farmers are men of intelligence, industry and enterprise. The gentleman whose name heads this sketch has done his full share in advancing every interest of the county, and although a native of Holstein, Germany, he is now a faithful subject of "Uncle Sam." He was born in 1840, and is a son of Hans and Catherine (Jess) Schroeder, also natives of Holstein, Germany, the father a farmer by occupation, who died in his native land in 1864. His widow survives him, and makes her home with the subject of this sketch, with whom he came to America. Hans H. Schroeder has been familiar with farm life from his earliest youth, and his early education was obtained in the schools of Germany. He served in the German army in 1864, and the War of 1870-71, after which he began farming for himself, opening up a good farm of sixty acres in Holstein. He was married there, in 1867, to Miss Anna Gulk, a daughter of George and Maggie (Frahm) Gulk, who were well-to-do farmers of that land, both being now deceased. Mr. Schroeder left the old country in 1881, and came to the United States, fiest settling in Pottawattamie County, Iowa, but in October, 1881, came to Hall County, Neb., renting land for one year. In 1883 he purchased 160 acres of land, partly improved, and soon after making his purchase began setting out an orchard and otherwise improving his property. He erected a good one and one-half story house with an ell in 1887, and has also good barns, granaries, etc., and on an average feed sixty head of cattle annually. He votes with teh Democratic party, and has served as treasurer two years. He is a present township clerk. He and wife are members of the Luteran Church, and are the parents of three children: Catherine (Mr. Robey), George and Hans.
SCHULLER, John D.
John D. Schuller is a farmer and gardener of Washington Township, Hall County, Neb., and was born in that part of France which now belongs to Germany, September 5, 1830, being a son of John D. and Catherine (Fuchs) Schuller, both of whom died in France. They had but two children, of whom the subject of this sketch was the elder. The other is a daughter and resides in the old country. John D. Schuller was reared to manhood in his native country, and during the winter months attended school until he was tewlve years of age, his leisure hours being spent in laboring on the farm. In 1854 he determined to seek his fortune in the New World, and for some time worked on a farm and canal work in the State of New York, but was afterward engaged in laboring in the vicinity of Indianapolis, Ind., for about one year. The six months following he was engaged in chopping wood in Tennessee and Mississippi, after which he went to Bureau County, Ill., and worked on a farm and in a brick yard for six minths longer. He next went to Kankakee, Ill., and after farming on shares for one season he spent about twelve months at market gardening, but in 1859 left Kankakee County and made a trip throughout the West and Southwest, from New Mexico to Pike's Peak, and in this latter place was engaged in digging gold from April until August, 1860. Returning East through Nebraska he spent two months at hay-making near Fort Kearney, after which he spent several nonths on a ranch, coming in 1862 to Hall County and locating on 160 acres of land just south of the present city of Grand Island, which place is now a beautiful and well improved farm. The post-office of Grand Island was at one time held in Mr. Schuller's house, this being from July, 1862, until January, 1867, during which time he was postmaster, the name of the office being Grand Island City. He was post-master until February, 1868, but it had in the meantime been moved to the station of Grand Island. He was the third postmaster, the first being Richard Barnard, and the second, Albert Barnard. Mr. Schuller finally resigned in favor of C. W. Thomas, who was then appointed to the position. He was married August 15, 1873, to Miss Sophia Frederica Rohlf, who was born in Holstein, Germany, March 7, 1849, she being a daughter of Joachim Christian and Anna Christena (Bolk) Rohlf, with whom she came to America in 1873. On reaching this country the family came directly to Hall County, Neb., and here the father is still living, but the mother is deceased. Of a family of six children born to them Mrs. Schuller was the second, and only three are now living. Mr. and Mrs. Schuller have reared a family of four children: Ernst (born June 13, 1874), Carolina (born March 5, 1878), John (born June 23, 1883), and Dora (born May 12, 1885). Ernst is the only child deceased. Mr. Schuller is now the owner of 240 acres of fine land, and is considered one of the prosperous and intelligent farmers of Hall County, and he and wife are among its best citizens.
John Schwyn, cashier of the bank of Doniphan, Neb. This bank was established in 1886, and the board of directors are as follows: S. N. Wolbach, C. F. Bentley, W. J. Burger and John Schwyn. In 1887 their building was destroyed by fire, and in 1888 they built up a good brick building. They have exchange with Grand Island, St. Joseph and New York. John Schwyn located in Doniphan in 1886, and has been a resident of that city since. He was born in Switzerland in 1855, and was the son of John and Anna (Keller) Schwyn, natives also of Switzerland, where they are now residing, engaged in farming. John Schwyn, Jr., was educated in his native country, and in 1875 emigrated to America, settling in New York State, where he remained until 1879. He then returned to Switzerland, but soon again made the trip across the ocean to American soil, and located in Hall County, Neb., where for some time he was engaged as a farm hand. After that he was in a country store for a while, later engaged in teaching, and then accepted a position as book-keeper for Walbach in Grand Island, with five branch houses, and Mr. Schwyn having all to look after. He remained with this house until he engaged in the banking business at Doniphan. Mr. Schwyn was married on Grand Isle, Lake Champlain, Vt., to Miss Hattie Hoag, a native of Vermont, and daughter of Henry and Catherine (Vantine) Hoag, natives of Vermont and New York, respectively. The father followed farming, but is now deceased. The mother is living and makes her home with Mr. Schwyn. To Mr. and Mrs. Schwyn were born two children: Bessie and Anna. Socially Mr. Schwyn is a member of Doniphan Lodge No. 86, A. F. & A. M., and is senior warden in the same. He is a member of the Lodge of Perfection No. 1, A. A. S. R., and is a member of the Doniphan Lodge No. 76, A. O. U. W. He is also a member of the M. W. A., Doniphan Lodge No. 1033. Mr. Schwyn is one of the progressive men of the county.
SHULTZ, Samuel S.
Samuel S. Shultz, farmer and stockman, Doniphan, Neb. John R. and Eliza (Armstrong) Schultz, the parents of our subject, were natives, respectively, of North Carolina and New York. The father went to Wisconsin in 1827, was married there, and in 1865 moved to Polk County, Iowa, where he remained until 1872, when he emigrated to Hall County, Neb. There his death occurred the same year. The mother died in 1874. Samuel S. Shultz passed his boyhood days in assisting on the farm and in attending the common schools of Wisconsin. He came with his parents to Nebraska in 1872, a single man, and pre-empted land that year, taking a timber claim of 160 acres. He was married in Hall County in 1879 to Miss Mattie E. Thorne, a native of Indiana, and the daughter of Albert R. and Annie M. (Roat) Thorne, natives of Virginia and Pennsylvania, respectively. Mr. Thorne was a farmer and came to Hall County in 1871, locating in Doniphan Township, but later moved to Howard County, Mo., where he resides at the present time. His wife died in Dawes county, Neb., in August, 1889. After his marriage Mr. Shultz settled on his farm in 1872 in Hall County, and now has a fine place. He is at present engaged in the butcher business at Doniphan, and makes his home in that city. He is quite active in politics nad votes with the Republican party. He is supervisor of the township and was county commissioner in 1882. He is now serving his thrid term as supervisor. He has also been assessor. To his marriage have been born two children: Earl and Mabel. Mr. Shultz has witnessed the complete growth of the country south of the Platte River, and is one of the pioneers. He has survived three grasshopper raids and the terrible Easter storm of 1873, and notwithstanding all this, likes the country and expects to make Nebraska his permanent home.
SMITH, Thomas E.
Thomas E. Smith is a well-known and successful dairyman of Hall County, Neb., his home being in Center Township, west of Grand Island. He was born in Connecticut, October 9, 1830, and is a son of Samuel and Lucy (Wheeler) Smith, who were also natives of the "Nutmeg State." The mother died when the subject of this sketch was about nine years old, having borne a family of nine children, of whom Thomas E. was the seventh, five of whom are now living. After her death, Mr. Smith wedded Jemimah Johnson, but both are now deceased. Thomas E. Smith was reared to manhood in his native State, and after his mother's death made his home with an elder brother, during the greater part of his youth being employed in different ways. When about eighteen years of age he came to the fertile prairies of Nebraska, and for one year was employed in a brick yard. At the end of this time he went to Iowa and was engaged in teaming near Glenwood for a few months, after which he went to Pike County, Mo., where he was in the livery business for several years. While there on January 24, 1865, he was united in marriage to Clara E. McQueen, a daughter of John A. L. and Samaria (Nevel) McQueen, the former a native of Louisville, Ky., born March 14, 1788, and the latter born in Albemarle County, Va., February 27, 1806. Mrs. Smith was the eleventh of their thirteen children, five now living, and was also born in Albemarle County, Va., February 24, 1840, and when a small child was taken to Memphis, Tenn., where she grew to womanhood and where her father and mother both died, the former February 14, 1861, and the latter February 18, 1861. Mrs. Smith had been married in early life in Memphis, Tenn., to Wesley L. Padgett, by whom she had two sons, Calvin and George, both of whom died in childhood. Mr. Padgett died on October 18, 1861, the date of his marriage to Mrs. Smith having been September 16, 1856. After marriage they resided in Pike County, Mo., and this continued to be her home until 1869 when she and her husband, Mr. Smith, located on a farm in Merrick County. Since 1879 they have resided in Hall County, Neb., and after a residence of one year in Grand Island they located on their present property and have since given their attention to farming and the dairy business, the latter enterprise being conducted in quite an extensive manner for the past six years. His dairy, which is known as the Platte Valley Dairy, is among the principal ones in the vicinity of Grand Island, and his farm, which contains 160 acres, is splendidly improved. Mr. and Mrs. Smith are the parents of three children: Samuel Edward, Lucia L. and Geraldine. Mr. and Mrs. Smith and their two daughters are members of the Episcopal Church, and in his political views he is a Democrat. The paternal grandparents of Mrs. Smith were Thomas H. and Elizabeth McQueen, who were born, reared and married in the highlands of Scotland, and in an early day emigated to the United States and settled in Kentucky. The maternal grandparents, Samuel and Samaria (Sutherland) Nevel, were born, reared and married in England, and on coming to America settled in Albemarle County, Va.
Henry Spohn, farmer and stock-raiser, Wood River, Neb. Mr. Spohn is a native of the Buckeye State, and so also was his father, Daniel Spohn, whose birth occurred in Perry County, and who now resides in Sandusky, of that State. The latter was married in Sandusky to Miss Catherine Bauchman, a native of Germany, and seven children were the result of this union. The mother is still living. The father was in the 100-days' service during the late war. Henry Spohn, the third child in order of birth in the above-mentioned family, received a fair education in the common district schools, and as he grew up upon the farm he became throughly conversant with that calling. He came west in 1878 and settled first on Wood River, where he worked for his brother for some time. He purchased his present farm in 1880, and now owns 160 acres of as good land as is to be found in the county. He was married in 1885 to Miss Bridget T. Haverty, a native of County Galway, Ireland. She came to America at the age of about fourteen years. To this happy union were born an interesting family of two children; Ella Theresa and Kate Belinda. He and wife are members of the Catholic Church, and he is a Republican in politics. The parents of Mrs. Spohn were John and Ellen (Killkenney) Haverty, natives of the Emerald Isle.
Robert Stephenson, farmer and stock-raiser, Underwood, Neb. Mr. Stephenson was originally from Yorkshire, England, where his birth occurred in 1851, and is the youngest of nine children born to Thomas and Charlotta (Mather) Stephenson, natives of the same place as their son. The father was a boot and shoe maker and now resides in England. The mother died in 1853. Robert Stephenson was educated in the schools of England, and at the age of eighten years took passage on a vessel sailing for the United States. He first settled in Canada, tilled the soil there for some time, and then came to New York, thence to Michigan, and in 1874 to Hall County, Neb., where he now owns eighty acres of excellent land. He was married in Hall County, Neb., in 1878, to Miss Ida Zeluf, a native of Michigan, and the daughter of George A. and Anna (Shay) Zeluf, natives of the Empire State. Mr. and Mrs. Zeluf removed to Nebraska in 1873 and there they now reside. To the union of Mr. and Mrs. Stephenson were born four living children: George Henry, Robert E., Walter William and Francis Joseph. Hannah Charlotte died in 1879, at the age of eight years. Mr. Stephenson is not very active in politics but votes for the best men and measures. Socially he is a member of the Farmers' Alliance, and is a man who has won a host of warm friends by his honest, upright conduct and by his pleasant agreeable manner. He has made all his property by his own exertions, and takes a deep interest in all that relates to the good of the county.
STRATMANN, Henry Herman
Henry Herman Stratmann is a well-known and influential citizen of Grand Island, Neb., and is a prominent wagon-maker and agrucultural implement dealer of that city. He was born July 9, 1850, in Hanover, Germany, and is a son of Henry and Dorothea (Sieling) Stratmann, the latter of whom died in Germany when the subject of this sketch was forteen years of age. Henry Herman Stratmann attended the school untl he was in his fifteenth year, after which he began learning the wagon-maker's trade of his father, and at the age of sixteen years he went to the town of Hoja, where he worked at his trade for a year and a half with Ludwig Knaplauch. From Hoja he went to the village of Bucken, where he worked at his trade until 1869, at which time he emigrated to America, embarking at Bremen and landing at New York City. After spending nearly a year at Dwight, Livingston County, Ill., and a little more than a year at Monee, Will County, he, in 1871, came to Grand Island, Neb., which place has since continued to be his home and of which he has proved to be a valuable citizen. During his entire residence here he has conducted a wagon factory, and has enjoyed a first-class patronage. His establishment is a handsome two-story brick block, erected in 1888, and is situated on the corner of Second and Spruce Streets. For the past five years he has also dealt quite extensively in agrucultural implements, and he is now the heaviest dealer of that kind in Grand Island. He was married November 20, 1877, to Miss Charlotte Spethman, who was born in Iowa, a daughter of John and Melvina Spethman, with whom she came to Grand Island in 1873. The union of Mr. and Mrs. Stratmann has resulted in the birth of five children: Herman L., John and Mary (twins, who died when about one month old), the next was an infant daughter that died unnamed, and Effie. Mr. and Mrs. Stratmann are members of the German Lutheran church, and he belongs to the A. O. U. W., the Liederkranz, and in politics is a Democrat.
Claus Stoltenberg is a farmer and stockman of Alda Township, Hall County, Neb., and like the great majority of German Americans he is industrious, thrifty and conseqently successful. He was born in Holstein, Germany, September 2, 1832, and is a son of Henry and Katrina (Spett) Stoltenberg, who were also born in Holstein, both being now deceased. Claus Stoltenberg grew to manhood in his native land, and after serving one year in the regular army of his country he, in 1856, emigrated to the United States, and in the spring of that year landed in New York City. He went almost immediately to Wisconsin, and for about eighteen months worked in Winnebago County, after which he came to Nebraska, and spent one and one-half years in Omaha, and after following various employments he came to Hall County, in April, 1859, being one of its very earliest settlers. Wild game of all kinds was very abundant, but buffalo, elk and deer were the most plentiful, and many pleasant hours were spent by Mr. Stoltenberg in hunting. In time a German settlement formed around him. He entered 160 acres of land, but by many hours of honest toil he has become the owner of 255 acres of fine bottom land situated about five miles from Grand Island, on which are an excellent residence and other buildings, and a good bearing orchard. He was married here December 6, 1862, to Miss Esther Paustean, a native of Holstein, Germany, a daughter of Hans Paustean, who died in his native land, as did his wife. Mrs. Stoltenberg came to the United States after reaching womanhood, and she and her husband are now the parents of six children: Alwine (wife of Claus Tagge, of Grand Island), Edward, Ferdinand, Cicilie (wife of Bernhard Wise, of Rock County, Neb.), Wilhelmine (a young lady at home) and Carl. Mr. Stoltenberg is one of the leading farmers of Hall County, and is an intelligent and throughly posted man on all public matters.
STRINGER, Capt. Elza T.
Capt. Elza T. Stringer, grocer, of Grand Island, Neb. It will be seen by a perusal of this sketch that Mr. Stinger is one of the highly esteemed citizens of the county and that he possesses a more than ordinary degree of intellect and enterprise. He was born in Ashland, Ashland County, Ohio, May 11, 1839, and was the second of six children, four now living, born to the marriage of Thomas Stringer and Harriet Potts, both of whom are now deceased. The early education of Elza T. Stringer was received in the public schools of Ashland, it being completed by an attendance of one term in a college at Hayesville, Ohio. In the meantime, at the very early age of nine years, he had bade his parents good-bye, and without a dollar in his pocket he had started out to seek his own fortune, and since that time has relied solely upon his own exertions as a means of livelihood. He first went to Hayesville, Ohio, where he clerked two years in a general mercantile store in Mansfield. He next returned to Ashland, his native place, and was in a dry goods establishment of that city for over seven years, during which time the Rebellion broke out. He immediately enlisted as a private soldier, in Company G, Fifteenth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, which was the second regiment to be formed for the three-years' service in Ohio, and was immediately sent to the front, crossing the Ohio River at Cincinnati. At Camp Nevin, Ky., he was appointed quartermaster sergeant of his regiment, and after the battle of Wood River, the first in which his regiment was engaged, he was promoted to the first commissioned vacancy that occurred in the regiment, which was that of second lieutenant in Company A, the right flanking company of the battalion. This honor came to him unsolicited, and the first knowledge he had of his promotion was when he received his commission and was summoned to headquarters to take the oath of office. He filled this position with ability, participating in a number of engagements, until after the capture of Nashville and the battle of Murfreesboro, when he was promoted to the rank of first lieutenant, and was temporarily detailed as acting regimental quartermaster, in which capacity he acted until after the capture of Huntsville, Ala., when, in an engagement, the captain of Company A was wounded, losing a leg. Mr. Stringer, although a minor, succeeded in command, and on the second day's fight at Pittsburgh Landing he commanded the company, and during the siege and taking of Corinth, Miss., and Crab Orchard, and soon after the last-named battle he was promoted to the rank of captain and assistant quartermaster of volunteers by President Lincoln, and was assigned to duty on Gen. Willich's staff, as quartermaster of the First Brigade, Second Division of the Fourteenth Army Corps, which was composed of five regiments of infantry, a squadron of cavalry and a battery of artillery. He continued in this capacity until after the battles of Chattanooga, Hall's Gap and Resaca, when, on account of ill health, he resigned and returned home. Finding the life of a civilian very monotonous after the excitement of war, he soon returned South, and at Nashville, Tenn., he was made roll and disbursing clerk for Capt. J. D. Stubbs, depot quartermaster, and in charge of river transportation. After filling this position for about nine months he purchased a steamboat, and engaged in transporting soldiers and army supplies for the government, having his boat under charter party at $175 per day and the expenses of the crew furnished. Being subject to the direction of the government, he was sent with his boat and twelve other steamers, loaded with supplies under convoy of three gunboats, to Carthage, Tenn., thence to Burksville, Ky., thence to Point Isabel, at the head of navigation on the Cumberland River, 450 miles above Nashville. At the time of their departure there was a high stage of water in the Cumberland, but owing to the fact that the water had receded five of the transports were unable to cross Faubush Shoals, and returned for protection to the garrison at Carthage, Tenn. Capt. Stringer's vessel, which was the "Nettie Hartupee," and the other seven proceeded toward destination, and reported to Col. Crook at Burksville. He ordered the vessels on to Point Isabel, but with the exception of the "Nettie Hartupee," they were unable to cross Goose Creek Shoals, and his boat proceeded without convoy or other protection, and discharged its supplies at Point Isabel, at which point Gen. Burnside's troops were arriving, preparatory to besieging and capturing Knoxville, Tenn., and as the rebels had burned all the bridges over the Cumberland and its tributaries, Capt. Stinger's boat had to transport all of Gen. Burnside's army, including infantry, cavalry and artillery, and about 1,500 cattle, across that river. Capt. Stringer then returned with his boat to transport the cargoes of the other vessels across the shoals, the whole time consuming four months and twenty-one days. It was the hourly experience of his vessel to be fired into by the guerrilla's musketry and mountain howitzers. Shortly after that expedition the Captain sold his vessel and returned to Ohio, and February 4, 1864, was married to Miss Ellen R. Jacobs, and for one year following was in the grocery business in Ashland, after which he removed to Decatur, Ill., where he was engaged in the banking business for several years, being assistant cashier and a heavy stockholder of the First National Bank. In the fall of 1872 he returned to Ashland, Ohio, and purchased a two-thirds' interest in the gas works of that city, which he operated until the fall of 1875, conducting a grocery store also. In 1875 he removed to Toledo, having entered the employ of the Arbuckle Bros., the mammoth coffee merchants, of New York City, as a traveling salesman, and January 1, 1876, removed to Fort Wayne, Ind., remaining, however, in the employ of the above-named gentlemen until May, 1887, during the last year of which time he had the entire management of that firm in the State of Indiana. In the spring of 1887 he entered the employ of the Union Coffee Company, of New York City, and had charge of the supply depots at St. Paul, Minneapolis and Omaha, selling goods exclusively to the jobbers of cities tributary to those points. He continued this work until January, 1889, when he resigned his position and came to Grand Island, Neb., as the manager of the Grand Island Grocery Company, and this position he now holds This house was established in April, 1889, on a strictly cash basis, with reference to both sales and purchases, and some idea of the mammoth business done by this establishment may be had from the following: It has purchased during the past ten months twenty car-loads of flour (10,000 sacks), fourteen car-loads of salt (1,400 barrels), four car-loads of canned goods (2,800 dozens), and all other goods in like quantities. Capt. Stringer and his wife have five children two daughters and three sons. Two other children died in infancy. The Captain is a member of the Masonic order, and in his political views is a Democrat.
STURM, John T.
John T. Sturm, farmer and stock-raiser, Doniphan, Neb. Mr. Sturm's farm of 160 acres is one of the finest for successful agricultural purposes to be found in this part of the township, and the manner in which it is conducted is in full keeping with the personal characteristics of its owner, a man of great energy, determination, and of much perseverance. He was born in Shelby County, Ohio, in 1828, and his father, Ephraim Sturm, was a native also of the Buckeye State. The grandfather, Mathias Strum, was a native of Pennsylvania and at a very early day settled in Ohio. He was soldier in the War of 1812. Ephraim Sturm was married, in his native State, to Miss Anna Carver, a native also of Ohio, and they resided there until 1849 when they emigrated to Peoria County, Ill. There the father purchased land and tilled the soil for a number of years. The mother died in Illinois in 1852, but the father is still living and makes his home in Peoria County, Ill. Of the four children born to their marriage, John T. Sturm was the eldest. He assisted on his father's farm, received his education in the schools of Ohio, and at the age of twenty-one years went to Illinois, where he tilled the soil for himself in Peoria County until 1852. He was married in that county, January 20, 1852, to Miss Lucinda Vantassell, a native of Peoria County, Ill., and the daughter of Alonson and Harriet (Richmond) Vantassell, natives of Indiana. Mr. Vantassell settled in Peoria County, Ill., squatted on land, and when the land was opened up for market at Danville he purchased his claim. There they both passed their last days, the mother dying in 1854 and the father in 1872. After his marriage Mr. Strum settled on a farm in Peoria County, and June 2, 1862, he enlisted in Company G, Sixty-seventh Illinois Infantry for three months. He was mustered into service at Chicago, June 4, and was assigned to detached and garrison duty, guarding prisons as far south as Vicksburg. He was honorably discharged at Camp Douglas, November 7, 1862, and returned to Peoria County, where he engaged in agricultural pursuits. In 1871 he came to Hall County, Neb., and engaged in improving and developing his farm. Aside from his farming interests he raises considerable stock, and is one of the substantial men of the county. He is deeply interested in politics and his vote is cast with the Republican party. He is among the foremost in educational matters, and has been a member of the school board; is active in the organization of school districts, and in the organization of townships from precincts. He was assessor in South Platte Township in 1885, has also been enumerator, and has held other local offices. During his service in the army he received a sunstroke, has felt the effects of it from that time to the present, and for the past ten or twelve years has been incapable of manual labor. Socially he is a member of the G. A. R., A. J. Smith Post No. 65, Doniphan, Neb., and has held offices of trust in the organization. To his marriage have been born fourteen children, eleven now living: William Oscar (married, and resides in Kansas City, Mo.), Perry (died in 1855), Alice E. (now Mrs. Lewis, resides in South Platte Township), Odus F. (died in Illinois), Alonzo O. (married and resides in Doniphan, Neb.), Minnie M. (now Mrs. Dennon, resides in Fairbury, Neb.), Bertha A. (now Mrs. Johnson, resides in Marshall County, Iowa), Stephen (resides in Hall County, Neb.), Hattie, Ella, Archie F., Ida, John R. and one died in infancy. Mr. Sturm has seen a great many changes since coming to this State, and is one of the five left of the original settlers of South Platte Township. He was there during the grasshopper raids of 1874, 1875, and 1876, and endured the many hardships common to frontier life. He has seen the complete growth of the country, and has aided in all enterprises for the good of the same. His house was made a stopping-place by emigrants moving westward and, with his large family, Mr. Sturm often found it hard to keep the wolf from the door. He and wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Doniphan, and are much respected by all acquainted with them. Mr. Sturm has and is now acting as correspondent for both religious and literary papers, for which he writes a great many articles, mostly signed "Independent," or "X." Some incidents connected with frontier life in Nebraska's early days might prove interesting to some. But, suffice it to say, the Indians were quite numerous here, and as their custom was to make two trips a year to their hunting ground, they passed by the door of Mr. Sturm's residence. He says he has seen a caravan four miles long. They had to be watched as they were very treacherous, often taking property that did not belong to them, and seeming to relish what white people loathe.
SUTHERLAND, J. Lue, M. D.
J. Lue Sutherland, M. D. The medical profession of Hall County, Neb., is ably represented by the above-named gentleman, who was born in Shelbyville, Ind., on September 23, 1854, being the fourth of a family of ten children born to the union of John Wesley and Elizabeth (McIlraith) Sutherland, the former of whom was born in Indiana, in 1825, and the latter in Pennsylvania in 1828, and are now residents of Marion County, Iowa, where they settled in 1855. Dr. Sutherland was reared on a farm in Central Iowa, until seventeen years of age, then entered the Central Iowa University, where he remained four years, and in the meantime began the study of medicine. He spent one year in the office of Dr. J. A. Roberts, two years with W. E. Wright, and during these years of study he taught an occasinal term of school to defray his expenses. After attending lectures for one term he located in Buena Vista County, where he practiced his profession for about one year, then entered Rush Medical College of Chicago, and from this institution was graduated February 2, 1882, removing the same year to Nebraska. He located first in Wayne, Wayne County, but about a year later settled in Wisner, and on September 23, 1887, came to Grand Island, where he has since held fort and has built up a splendid practice. He is a close student and in the practice of medicine keeps fully apace with the times. Having acquired the German language from books, the Doctor now is able to read, speak and write that language much to his own satisfaction and the satisfaction of a large portion of his patrons, who are German. He is a stanch Republican, and is a member of the A. O. U. W. and K. of P. He is examining surgeon for the several social organizations of Grand Island, also several old line insurance companies, and is surgeon-in-chief of this district for the Pacific Mutual Life and Accident Insurance Company of California. The Doctor is a Scotch-Irish descent, and is a descendant of the Duke of Sutherland, of Sutherland County, Scotland. June 26, 1882, he was married to Mrs. Emily Kleeberger, of Buena Vista County, Iowa.
TAYLOR, B. Z.
B. Z. Taylor has been located in the State of Nebraska for the past eighteen years, and has proved to be a valuable citizen to Hall County, especially as far as farming is concerned. His farm, an exceptonally fine one, comprises 160 acres, every acre of which is tillable, under fence, and well improved by good buildings. He comes of old Virginia stock, and was born in the "Old Dominion" in 1847, being a son of B. F. and Catherine (McDonald) Taylor, who were born, reared and married in that State. In 1852 they emigrated to Illinois, and after a short residence in Edgar county move to Moultrie County, where they remained until 1881, then coming to Hall County. B. A. Taylor was reared and received a good common-school education in Moultrie County, and was one of two children who grew to manhood there. He enlisted in Company I, One Hundred and Thirty-fifth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, United States Army, and served until the time of his enlistment had expired, and September 28, 1864, received an honorable discharge. He followed farming in Illinois until 1872, then came to Nebraska and took up a claim where he still resides, but his first efforts in farming were a failure, as the grasshoppers destroyed his crops as fast as they came up. Somewhat discouraged he concluded to abandon his farm for a time, and removed to Iowa and teamed during the winter of 1874. In the spring of that year he came back to his farm, and his effors have since continued to prosper. During his early settlement game was very abundant, and many enjoyable hours were spent by Mr. Taylor in hunting buffalo and deer. In 1883 he was united in marriage to Miss C. Bowden, who was born in Illinois in 1866, and by her he is the father of five children: Gertrude, Benny, Lettie, Leslie and Roy. Mrs. Taylor is a daughter of George and Mary (King) Bowden, the former of whom was born in England and came to the United Sates at the age of fourteen, locating in Grundy County, Ill. George Bowden left Illinois in 1877 for Texas, and came from there to Hall County, Neb., in 1879, where he lived until 1884, then moving to Custer County, Neb., his present residence. His people reside in Illinois, and his wife's people in Hall County, Neb.
TAYLOR, Francis N.
Francis N. Taylor, farmer, Wood River, Neb. Prominent among the many enterprising and successful agriculturists of Hall County stands the name of Mr. Taylor, who was born in Moultrie County, Ill., in 1857, and who received his education in the district schools of that county. He was the youngest and only son in a family of four children born to his parents, and was left motherless at the age of four years. The father afterward married again. He was a milwright by trade, and followed that occupation during his latter years, although during the first part of his life he was engaged in agricultural pursuits. He was a Whig in politics, and was a member of the Metohodist Episcopal Church. Of the four children born to his marriage, Francis N. is the only one now living. The latter attaiined his growth in Illinois, secured a fair education in that Stae, and was there married to Miss Mary Pugh, a native of Illinois, born in 1859. Five children are the result of this union: Mabel, Della, Francis E., Lulu and Clifford. Mr. Taylor followed farming in Illinois until 1880, then sold out and emigrated to Nebraska, where he purchased 130 acres of land in Hall CJounty. He is now the owner of 180 acres, and has a fine river running through his land, which affords abundant water for his stock. He keeps a good breed of stock, and in the management of everything connected with his farm he displays excellent judgment and thoroughness, qualities which can not fail of success. In his political preferences he is a Republican, though no political aspirant, and throughout the county he has many firends, by whom he is well and favorably known.
THOMPSON, Andrew J.
Perhaps it is not to be so much wondered at that Mr. Thompson is posessessed of such progressive ideas and tendencies regarding the management and conduct of his farm when the fact becomes known that he is originally from a community of intelligent and progressive agriculturists-Columbiana County, Ohio where he was born on April 15, 1845. He was the youngest of ten children, six now living, born to James and Nancy (Magee) Thompson, natives, respectively, of Baltimore, Md., and Allegheny, Pa., the former dying May 16, 1881, and the latter July 14, 1878. The paternal grandfather was Gen. Thomas Thompson, of Revolutionary War fame, and his wife was Rebecca Thompson. The maternal grandparents were John and Rebecca Ann Magee. Andrew J. Thompson spent his boyhood days on a farm in his native county, and at the age of fourteen years he accompanied his parents to Portage county, Ohio, and remained with them, assisting to till the home farm until he was eighteen years old, at which time he entered the Union army, becoming a member of Company I, One Hundred and Fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, with which he served until the close of the war, participating, during this time, in nineteen battles under Gen. Sherman, among which may be mentioned Knoxville, Franklin, Nashville, Lookout Mountain, siege and battle of Atlanta, Fort Fisher and Fort Alexander. He was also with Sherman on his march to the sea, and July 1, 1865, he was honorabley discharged at Salisbury, N. C., whereupon he returned to Portage County, Ohio, where he tilled the soil for three years. In 1868 he came westward to Muscatine, Iowa, and after farming there for one year removed to Vermillion County, Ind., and a few months later returned to his former home in Iowa. He continued to follow agricultural pursuits there until 1887, and the following year come to Hall County, Neb. August 23, 1870, he was married, in Muscatine County, to Miss Lora O. Deming, a native of Portage County, Ohio, born March 24, 1843, being a daughter of Donald and Roxana (Fitch) Deming, the former born in Hartford, Conn., April 11, 1795, and the latter in Coventry, Tolland County, Conn., August 14, 1805. They were married April 11, 1822, and became the parents of eight children, of whom Mrs. Thompson was the youngest, six being now alive. The mother of these children died in Portage county, Ohio, March 1, 1868, and the father in Muscatine County, Iowa, August 17, 1870. The paternal grandparents of Mrs. Thompson were Theron and Electa (Ensign) Deming, the maternal grandparents being John and Mrilla (Gregory) Fitch. Mr. and Mrs. Tompson have resided on the farm they now occupy ever since coming to the State, which comprises 160 acres of well cultivated land, and have proved themselves to be valuable residents of the county. They have three children: Sherman A., Allie L. and Lora M. Mr. Thompson is a Democrat, and invariably supports the men and measures of his party. Prior to her marriage Mrs. Thompson was engaged in teaching school, and in eight years taught twelve terms in Portage county, Ohio.
THOMPSON< Elmer E.
Elmer E. Thompson is the superintendent of public instruction for Hall County, Neb., to which position he was elected on the Republican ticket in 1889, and is now ably and successfully discharging the duties of this office. He was born in West Union, Fayette County, Iowa, June 3, 1860, and is a son of Alexander and Lavina (Foster) Thompson, both of whom were born in the "Buckeye State," and removed to Iowa in 1859, where the father followed the occupaton of cabinet-making and carpentering for many years. In 1873 he removed to Nebraska, and made a home for himself and family on a farm near Cairo. He and wife reared a family of three sons and two daughters, their names being as follows: Charles S. (cashier of a bank at Prove City, Utah), Will F. (a teacher at Wood River, Neb.), Alma E. (the accomplished wife of Hon. James Ewing, is now deceased) and Anna J. (who is one the county's most successful educators). The paternal grandparents were Zachariah and Priscilla Thompson, the former a native of Scotland, who came to the United Sates when a young man, and was here married. Elmer E. Thompson spent his youth in following the plow on his father's farm and in attending the district schools near his home, and, being intelligent and studious, he has soon a sufficient knowledge of the "world of Books" to enable him to engage in teaching, and by this means he was permitted to accummulate sufficient means with which to defray his expenses at college. He entered the seminary at College Springs, Iowa, and later the State Normal School at Peru, where he completed his education. He then applied himself to teaching, and has since devoted himself to this calling in Hall and adjacent countie, where he has become well and favorably known as an educator of abiltiy. He has always ben an active Republican in politics, and socially is a member of the I. O. O. F. and the A. O. U. W.
William Thorpe is a member of the firm of W. & F. Thorpe, and is a native of Ohio, born in 1845, a son of Thomas and Eliza (Herron) Thorpe, who were born near Dublin, in County Wicklow, Ireland, being from the same neighborhood as Parnell, the agitator. They came to America with a family of small children and settled in Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio, where they reared six of their ten children to maturity, five of whom are still living and three residents of Ohio. The father was a carpenter and builder by occupation, and about 1856 removed with his family to Canada and settled in the town of Guelph, Wellington County, where two of his children were born. After about fourteen years he returned to the States, and from that time until his death in 1887 resided at his old home in Ohio, he being about ninety years of age upon his demise. His widow, who was born in 1820, survives him and lives at Auburn, Ohio. Thomas Thorpe was reared by an uncle, a land agent, and he and his sister, Elizabeth, were remarkably well educated, being very fond of reading. The paternal grandfather, Fred Thorpe, was an officer in the English navy. William Thorpe, the immediate subject of this sketch, was educated in Ohio, Canada and Michigan, and in his youth served an apprenticeship at the miller's trade, learning the details of the work in the last-named State. After following this occupation on his own responsibility at Buchanan for some five years, he went to Ohio and settled near his old home, which was prior to his parents return, and worked as journeyman there for three years. He then bought a mill of his own at Auburn, but eleven years later, in 1881, came to Nebraska, and built the present Atlantic Mills at Wood River. He was joined by his brother in March, 1882, and their mill is now capable of turning out 100 barrels of flour per day, which is of an excellent quality and gives the best of satisfaction wherever used. Their mill is fitted up with the roller process and is in other respects very complete. He still owns his mill property at Auburn, Ohio, but as it has always made a living for the family he leaves it in possession of a younger brother. He also owns a steam circular saw-mill and two dwellings there, which are now very valuable property. Fred Thorpe, one of the proprietors of the above-named mills, and also the proprietor of the Commercial Hotel of Wood River, was born in Warren, Trumbull County, Ohio, in 1848, and went with his parents to Canada, where his educataion was received. During the Civil War in this country he returned to the United States, and settled at Woonsocket, R. I., where he worked for some time for a cattle dealer, and later became connected with an oil firm in Boston. At the end of one year he went to Chicago, Ill., and was first in the employ of S. W. McBride & Co., and later with another firm, being superintendent of oil works all this time, but in March, 1882, he came to Nebraska, and became associated with his brother in the flour mills of Wood River. He opened the Commercial Hotel of this place in 1885, which is one of the best establishments of the kind in the town, and besides this property is the owner or seveal town lots, 160 acres of land, and a one-half interest in the mill, which alone is worth over $27,000. Although a Republican in politics, he is not a partisan, and socially is a member of the K. of P. and the I. O. O. F. In 1872 he was married in Chicago, to Mrs. Shelton, a widow with one daughter, Annie M., who is now the wife of E. A. Wedgwood, of Grand Island. Mrs. Thorpe was born in Quebec, Canada, and is of Irish descent. These gentlemen by their many excellent qualities have succeeded in establishing a large and remunerative trade, which the excellent quality of their product fully justifies, and they are safe, reliable and upright men of business.
UNDERWOOD, Benjamin Grant
Benjamin Grant Underwood, farmer and stockman, Underwood, Neb. Prominent among the successful farmers and stock-raisers of Hall County stands the name of Benjamin G. Underwood, who owes his nativity to Oakland County, Mich., where he was born in 1830, and is the son of Asa B. and Sabrina (Loomis) Underwood, natives of Canada. The father emigrated to Oakland County, Mich., in 1827, and although a carpenter and ship-builder by trade, he settled on a farm and tilled the soil until his death, which occurred in January, 1844. He took quite an active part in politics in the campaign of 1840, and was a Whig. The mother survived him until 1885, and had been a resident of the farm, where she reared her family of ten children, for over fifty-eight years. Benjamin G. Underwood began the duties of farm life at an early age, and received his education in the primitive log school house of pioneer days. He commenced farming for himself in Michigan, and was married in McComb County of that State, in 1857, to Miss Cleantha Lerich, a native of McComb County, Mich., and the daughter of Peter and Sarah (Fishbough) Lerich, natives of New Jersey. Mr. Lerich was married in New Jersey, and in 1835 moved to what is now McComb County, Mich., where he purchased a partly improved farm and made that county his home. He and wife still reside in that county. Mr. Underwood followed farming in Michigan until 1884, when he came to Nebraska and purchased a partly improved farm of 160 acres, on which he has since erected a good house, outbuildings, etc. He takes an interest in the votes of the Republican party, and is now serving his second term as justice of the peace, being elected in 1887. Mrs. Underwood was appointed postmistress in 1885, and the post-office was called Underwood. It is a good, strong office, and has tri-weekly mail from Underwood to Hansen. Forty-two families get their mail at this office. Mr. Underwood is a member of the South Platte Alliance No. 373, and takes an active interest in the same. To his marriage were born seven children: Frank (married, and resides in South Platte Township), Hale (is the owner of a farm in Martin Township), William (resides at home), Charles, Mary, Clifford and Fred. The younger ones are attending school. Mr. Underwood has seen a great many changes in the country since settling here, and has always taken a prominent part in everything for the good of the county. He expects to make this State his permanent home.
Henry Vieregg, the proprietor of the Grand Isalnd Bottling Works, is a native German, and possesses all the sterling characteristics of his race. He was born in the village of Gaidersdorf, Holstein, Germany, December 22, 1840, his parents, Hans and Elsie (Kruse) Vieregg, being worthy residents of that place. He was one of their five children, and at the early age of sixteen years came to the United States to seek his fortune, and after spending two years in Davenport, Iowa, he came to Grand Isalnd, Neb., and upon attaining his majority he entered some land and was engaged in farming for some time in Merrick County, but in 1876 he returned to Grand Island, and after givinig his time and attention to the ice business for quite a period, he engaged in the bottling business and also sells mineral waters and temperance beverages. He was married in Grand Island to Miss Caroline Spethmann, a native of Holstein, Germany, and a daughter of John and Malvina Spethmann, and by her has had a family of eleven children born to him: Malvina (wife of Franz Rosser, assistant post-master, by whom she has had a son named August), Louisa, Willie, Othelia, Albert, Emil, Henrietta, Oscar and Elsie. August and Carl died in early youth. Mr. Vieregg and family attend the Lutheran Church, and he is a prominent Democrat and has been a member of the City council and alderman of his ward for two tems of two years each. He was a candidate for the Legislature against a very popular Republican, but owing to the great Republican majority in the county was defeated. He is well known and highly respected, and besides the farm which he owns and his present business, he is the owner of a bottling establishment at St. Paul. He belongs to two German societies.
2003 © Kaylynn, for the AHGP