A-C D-F G-H J-L M-O P Q-R S-V W-Z
W through Z
WALDRON, Isaac H.
Isaac H. Waldron is a prominent pump dealer of Grand Island and is well known throughout Hall County as a man of sterling business principles, sound judgment and intelligence. He is one of four surviving members of a family of eight children, and was born in Albany County, N. Y., December 23, 1837, his parents, Aaron and Susan Waldron, being born near Auburn and Albany, N. Y., respectively. Both parents are now deceased. Isaac H. Waldron spent his youth on a farm in his native county, receiving the advantages of the common schools in the meantime, but at the age of seventeen years he went to Schenectady, N. Y., where he was employed for two years as a hackdriver. At the end of this time he emigrated westward, and until 1872 made his home in Sycamore, De Kalb County, Ill., his first work at this place being for Reuben Elwood, who was an extensive raiser of broom corn. After remaining with him for two months he was chiefly engaged at farm work unitl 1862, and on August 7 of that year he was mustered into service in Company C, One Hundred and Fifth Illinois Infantry, United States Army, and was detailed as an orderly immediately after entering, and held this position until his time had expired, which was at the end of two years and ten months. He was a participant in the battles of Peach Tree Creek, Resaca, Dalton and Buzzard's Roost, and was with Sherman on his famous march to the sea. June 7, 1865, he was mustered out of service at Chicago and returned to De Kalb County, Ill., and resumed farming. In 1872 he came to the fertile prairies of Nebraska and settled upon a homestead which he had taken in Hall County, and here he continued to follow agricultural pursuits until 1885. In December of that year he removed to Grand Isalnd and has since given his attention to the sale of pumps and wind mills, and has built up a paying business. He was married July 3, 1862, to Miss Ruth A. Depue, a daughter of James and Julia A. (Marsh) Depue. Mrs. Waldron was born in Pennsylvania, and she and Mr. Waldron are the parents of six children: Edith A., John C., Lettie M., Lewis J., Julia M. and Frederick, of whom John C. and Frederick are deceased. Mr. Waldorn is a member of the A. O. U. W., and in politics is a stanch Republican.
WALKER, Edward C.
Nowhere in Hall County, Neb., is there to be found a man of more energy, determined will or force of character, than Mr. Walker possesses, and no agriculturist is more deserving of success in the conduct and management of his farm than he. His birth occurred in Clark County, OH, July 1, 1844, a son of Joseph J. and Delilah (Umbel) Walker, who were born, reared and married in Ohio, being among the early settlers of Ohio, where the father made his home until his death. His widow survives him, and resides in Hall County with a daughter. Edward C. Walker attended to the duties of the farm until 1861, but upon the call for troops to suppress the Rebellion which had arisen, he left the plow and enlisted in Company I, Forty-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and re-enlisted on January 5, 1864, his regiment becoming known as the Eighth Volunteer Cavalry. He was discharged in July, 1865, as a corporal, and during his term of service had participated in the battles of Louisburg and Charleston, W. Va.; Dutton's Hill, Ky.; the siege of Knoxville, and took part in numerous skirmishes. He was shot in the right fore-arm at Beverly, W. Va., was disabled for several months and was on detached duty. After the closing of the war he retuned to his home in Ohio, but soon removed to Butler County, Iowa, and there made his home for about six years, after which he went to Nebraska, and in 1871 settled in Hall County, on the farm on which he is now living. He owns 160 acres, on which is a comfortable house, and was one of the first men in the county to locate north of Grand Island. He has always been a Republican in politics, supporting the men and measures of that party, and in 1872 was elected to the position of magistrate, and after serving one term was elected to the position of supervisor. He is now serving his third term as justice of the peace, and his third term as collector and treasurer. He was married at Grand Island September 22, 1878, to Miss Mary J. Lamon, a daughter of E. S. Lamon, she being a native of Indiana. They have four children: Charles E., James L., Ernest L. and Pearl (an infant six months old). Mr. and Mrs. Walker are Baptists in faith, but are not members of any church.
WARNER, George L.*
George L. Warner, one of Hall County's most successful agriculturists, was born in the "Nutmeg State" December 5, 1821, and is a son of Martin and Nancy (Hart) Warner, the father being also a native of Connecticut, born in 1770. At the age of fifty-four years he left his birth-place and went to York State, where he farmed. He also owned a sailing vessel which plied the ocean and entered the then small city of New York, but afterward moved to Ohio and was a resident of Wood County until his death, which occured when he was eighty-two years of age. He was a man of great physical strength, was six feet and one half inches in height, and never had a spell of sickness until he was fifty years old. He was a Presbyterian in faith. His father, Martin Warner, was born in Connecticut and was a soldier in the Revolutionary War, Solomon Warner, an uncle of the subject of this sketch, being also in that war. The maternal grandparents came originally from England, the grandfather serving in the Revolutionary War. On his father's side of the family Mr. Warner traces his ancestry back to tree brothers who took passage in the good old ship, the "Mayflower," landing at Plymouth Rock. The male members of the Hart family were principally sailors. Nancy (Hart) Warner was born in Connecticut, and she and Mr. Warner reared a family of ten children, six of whom are now alive. The mother died in 1866 over eighty years of age. George L. Warner resided in York State until he reaxhed his twelfth year, then went with his parents to Wood County, Ohio, and there the greater part of his education was received. Upon the opening of the war he joined the Federal army, becoming a member of the One Hundred and Forty-fourth Ohio, but after the battle of Frederick City he retuned home and took care of his parents until their deaths. He was first married in Ohio to Miss Charlotte Yates, but she left him a widower in 1874 with a family fo four children: Ellen (wife of James W. White), William, John and Franklin. After residing in Ohio until 1866 Mr. Warner removed with his family to Burr Oak, Mich., but sold out there in 1871 and came to Nebraska. He took up a soldier's homestead of 160 acres, and soon after erected his present residence, but his labors at first were not attended with good results, for the grasshoppers ate his crops, and at one time from fourteen acres of corn he only secured a basket full of nubbins. He persevered, however, in his determination to make a home for his family in Nebraska, and in time became the owner of 400 acres of land, but has since sold a considerable portion of this. He is very philosophic in his views, is an exceptionally intelligent man, and is a deep thinker. He is a Republican, is a member of the G. A. R., J. Hooker Post, and in his religious views is a Presbyterian. In October, 1875, he was married to Mrs. Jane A. Hill, who had a family of three daughters by her first husband.
[*Transcribers note: In the index listing from the Nebraska Genealogical Society, Mr. Warner is listed as
George L. WAPNER.
WEDGWOOD, Edgar A.
Edgar A. Wedgwood. Socially, politically and as a painstaking and zealous official, we find none whose record, in point of excellence, excels that of Mr. Wedgwood, who for a number of years was the efficient sheriff of Hall County. Although a stanch Democrat in his political views (his party having a minority of several hundreds below that of the Republican party in Hall County) he has, by a very creditable career, won the respect and liking of those opposed to him in his preferences, and owing to their support, as well as to that of his constituents, he was elected to the office of county sheriff November 1, 1885, and as a mark of respect for his painstaking services he was honored with a re-election in 1887, which fact speaks louder than mere words can do as to his ability, integrity and popularity, and his retirement from office in the spring of 1889 was witnessed with many regrets. He has drawn around him a host of friends, who pay him a hearty respect in his official retirement. He was born in the "Old Bay State," at Lowell, May 2, 1856, and is a son of Andrew J. and Theresa A. (Gould) Wedgwood, who were born in the State of Maine, the former in Newport and the latter in Dixfield, both belonging to old and prominent families of the "Pine Tree State." The Wedgwoods are of English extraction. Andrew J. was a machinist by occupation, and for many years was in honorable employment with the Merrimac Manufacturing Company, of Lowell, Mass. In 1879 he came to Nebraska, with his family, and settled on a farm near Wood River, where he passed from life April 7, 1889, leaving his widow and the subject of this sketch as his survivors. The latter had received good advantages in the schools of his native city, being a graduate of the high school of that place when eighteen years of age, and on coming west with his parents took up the building business, with which he was identified until 1885, when, as above stated, he was elected to the sheriff's office. He has always interested himself in the advancement of all good works, and contributes liberally to their success. He has served Wood River as its treasurer, and Grand Island as a member of its council, and socially is a member of the Masonic fraternity, the A. O. U. W. and the K. of P. He contributes liberally and irrespective of denomination to the different churches, looking on all as grand temples of morality. Himself and wife enjoy the esteem of all who know them.
WEETER, G. W., M. D.
G. W. Weeter, M. D., physician and surgeon of Grand Island, Neb., is associated with Dr. Sumner Davis in his practice, they forming a firm worthy of all confidence. He owes his nativity to Clarion County, Pa., where he was born on October 20, 1847, and was one of a family of twelve children born to George and Sarah (Lobaugh) Weeter, whose ages are, respectively, seventy-five and sixty-nine years. The father has three brothers living, one eighty-one, another eighty-three and another eighty-five. Dr. Weeter acquired his literary education in Callensburg Academy and the Clarion Collegiate Institute, and in the latter was assistant principal for nearly two years. He put himself through these institutions, securing the means with which to defray his expenses by teaching school during the winter seasons. In 1871 he began the study of medicine under Dr. R. C. Callahan, remaining until the fall of 1873, at which time he entered the Western Reserve University, at Cleveland, Ohio, and after taking lectures one year, began practicing with Dr. I. W. Mease, of Shippenville, Clarion County, Pa., with whom he remained associated a year and a half. In the autumn of 1875 he again entered the Western Reserve University, graduating as an M. D. in the spring of the following year, and in August, 1876, he located in Crawford County, where he practiced for twelve years, two years having been appointed as physician of the county infirmary of that county. He spent a portion of the winter of 1886 at his old alma mater with a view to furthering his knowledge of medicine, and in May, 1888, Dr. Weeter came to Grand Island, where he practiced his profession alone until July, 1889, when he formed a partnership with Dr. Davis and is doing well. He gives some special attention to deseases of the throat and nose, and in the treatment of the cases which have come under his control he has been very successful. On May 22, 1889, he was appointed secretary to the pension board of Grand Island. The Doctor is a Republican and has held various offices of trust in the different localities in which he has resided. He married Emma J. Mease, of Shippenville, Pa., on March 28, 1876, to whom two children have been born: Arthur R. (aged thirteen year) and Lelah Manora (aged nine years and six months). They are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.
WELDON, J. M.
J. M. Weldon was born in the State of New York, in 1862, and like all native New Yorkers, is intelligent, enterprising and industrious. He is a son of J. M. and Jane (Irving) Weldon, who were born in York State in 1824 and England in 1834, respectively, the former being a blacksmith and machinist by occupation. Their union took place August 10, 1851, and afte making their home in New York until 1872, they came to Hall County, Neb., and took up a homestead claim, but subsequently moved to Wood River, where the father resided until his death in 1887. During the Rebellion he served in the Union army, in the Fourth New York Heavy Artillery, under Gen. Hancock, ad for many years was a member of the Republican party, and socially belonged to the A. F. & A. M. The paternal grandfather was born in the "Empire State," was a farmer by occupation and lived and died in the Mohawk Valley. His wife was also born in that State. J. M. Weldon, the immediate subject of this biography, was eleven years of age when he came to Nebraska, and he received excellent educational advantages in the district schools near his home and in the high school at Gibbon. In November, 1882, he was married to Miss Ella M. Dunlap, who was born in Sullivan County, Mo., December 25, 1862, and by her he is the father of three children: Blanche, Carrie and E. K. He inherited some money from his father, purchased some land when twenty years of age, and now has120 accres in his home farm and 200 acres in other tracts. Mr. Weldon is one of the wealthiest and most enterprising young farmers of the county, and owing to the many estimable qualities which he possesses, he is respected and esteemed by all. He is an officer of Chamberlin Encampment of the I. O. O. F. at Wood River, being a charter member of the same, and holds a life insurance of $2,000 in the A. O. U. W. His wife is a daughter of Tennessee and Mary L. (Myers) Dunlap, the former being a native of Illinois, although his people came from Tennessee. He is now residing in Eureka Springs, Ark. His mother is still alive and resides in Springfield, Ill., aged eighty-four years.
Riley Wescoatt, general merchant of Wood River, Neb., has a well-stocked establishment, and being strictly honest in his dealing with his customers and selling his goods at reasonable price, he has built up a paying trade. He was born in the "Hoosier State" in 1828, and is a son of Joseph S. and Sarah (Metzgar) Wescoatt, who were born in Cayuga County, N. Y., and Dutchess County, Pa., in 1790 and 1785 respectively. The father was a farmer by occupation, and at an early day removed with his family to Ohio, thence to Indiana in 1828, locating in Vermillion County near Eugene. From this State he removed to Iowa in 1837 and made his home in Van Buren County until his death, in 1860. He was judge of the Van Buren County Court at this time, and had been a member of the Territorial Legislature at one time. He served in the Black Hawk War, and in his political views was an old line Whig, being a man exceptionally well educated for those times and well posted on all current topics. His wife lived until 1888, making her one hundred and three years of age, and was hearty and spry, with not a gray hair in her head, but met with accident which resulted fatally. Riley Wescoatt is one of seven children, the youngest of whom is now over fifty-eight years of age, and grew to manhood and was educated in the State of Iowa. He followed merchandising in Alva, Ill., from 1853 until the opening of the war, and in May, 1861, enlisted in Company A, First Iowa Cavalry, United States Army, but after serving two years and nine months was discharged for disability. He was in the engagements at Rolla, Mo., Pea Ridge, Cross Roads, Newtonia, Prairie Grove, Little Rock, and was on the Camden expedition. He was at home when the war closed and from that time farmed until 1874 when he removed to Nebraska and purchased land. In 1883 he sold his estate and removed to Wood River where he began merchandising, continuing successfully up to the present time. He is an influentioal citizen, popular with all, and is ever ready to extend the right hand of fellowship. He is a member of the G. A. R., the I. O. O. F., and is trustee of the Building & Loan Asscoiation of Wood River. He was married in Iowa to Miss May J. Richardson, who was born in Illinois in 1855, and by her he has four children: Nelson, Frank, Harry and Emma.
WEST, William H.
William H. West is a successful agriculturist and is a raiser and dealer in Polled-Angus cattle and Poland-China hogs. Although born in Newcastle County, Del., January 23, 1832, he was reared to manhood in Kent County of that State, making his home with his parents. After farming for himself in his native State for eight years, he began merchandising at Wilmington, continuing there until 1874, when he moved to Nebraska, and located at Grand Island, where he also opened a mercantile establishment, and was successfully engaged up to 1888, when he closed out and removed to the farm where he now resides. His first purchase of land was in 1878, and he is now the owner of 480 acres of land, all in one tract and very valuable. He has a good one and one-half story residence, substantial and commodious barns, and besides his home property he owns a section of timber land in Arkansas. He is devoting much of his attention to raising Polled-Angus cattle, and now has a herd of twenty-six head of thoroughbred registered cattle, with a fine young animal, "Kenneth," four years old and weighing 2,000 pounds, at the head. This animal was sired by Baronet, an imported animal. He also has twenty-nine head of graded stock, and is prepared to furnish both registered and graded animals for sale. His drove of swine is of the Poland-China breed and is one of the finest in the State. He has made a business of buying and shipping cattle since coming on his farm, and there is now no man in the county more extensively engaged in their propagation than he. His farm is well fitted for this purpose, the conveniences, etc., being unsurpassed. He has always been a Democrat in his political views, and has held a number of positions of honor and trust since coming to the county. He was married in Delaware, in 1853, to Miss Rachel Sylvester, who was born in that State and died in 1870, leaving a son, Leonard J., of Grand Island. His second marriage also took place in Delaward, October 4, 1872, his wife being Miss Sallie A. Luff, reared and educated in that State and a daughter of John and Martha Luff. Mr. West and his wife are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church, and he is a member of the Masonic fraternity, in which order he has attained to the Commandery. His parents, James and Rachel Ann (Davis) West, were born in Dalaware, and in the spring of 1837 moved from Newcastle County to Kent County, where they died in March, 1850, and in May, 1849, respectively. The father was a machinist by trade, and was a worthy man and a highly honored citizen.
Frank S. West. Among the young men determined to make a home for themselves and families on the fertile prairies of Nebraska was Mr. West, who left his native State of Iowa, and came to Hall County in the fall of 1883, and purchased a quarter section of fine land in Section 16, and has since been identified with the growth and prosperity of the county. He is a young man of much push, energy and enterprise, and the manner in which he has acquired his present estate denotes him to be a thorough master of his calling. He was born in the "Hawkeye State" in 1860, and is a son of Isaac and Watty (Weldon) West, and in his early youth received the advantages of the common schools of his native State, acquiring a fair knowledge of the "world of books." When quite a young man he went to California and was engaged in agricultural pursuits and sheep-raising in that State for five years, but, as above stated, came to Nebraska in 1883, and here has since made his home. In the summer of 1885 Miss Mary Ewing, a member of one of the most influential families of this portion of the State, became his wife, and their union has resulted in the birth of one child, Ray W. Mr. West has always supported the Republican party, and has taken quite an interest in local politics. He is universally respected, and socially is a member of the A. O. U. W., Wood River Lodge.
Frederick Whitehead, farmer and stock-raiser, Wood River, Neb. Mr. Whitehead is a native of the Empire State, where his birth occurred in 1844, and is the son of William and Sarah (Watson) Whitehead, both natives of England. The father was born in 1810 and was a cotton-spinner by trade, working at his trade in his native country until he came to America in 1834. He was married in England in 1830, and after reaching this continent continued his former trade for about ten years in New York. He then went to Middleville, town of Newport, and followed the same business there for six years, after which he moved to Wisconsin and engaged in agricultural pursuits, continuing the same until 1884, when he emigrated to Nebraska. He is now eighty years of age, reads and writes without glasses, takes care of a carload of cattle and carries corn to them on his shoulders. He belonged to the regular military in England, was with them a year, when his people bought his discharge. When the Civil War broke out he was a Union man in principle and gave instruction to the bugler of the Third Wisconsin Cavalry. His two sons, Fred and William, were in service. The mother of our subject died in July, 1857. She was the mother of nine children, seven of whom are still living. After her death, or in 1863, the father married again, to Miss Mary Rhines, who bore him two daughters, both now living. The grandfather, William Whitehead, was born in England in 1765, and died there in 1837. He was a hatter by trade. His wife, whose maiden name was Mary Ashworth, was a native of Denton County, England, born in 1772. They were the parents of fourteen children, twelve daughters and two sons, and six of whom grew to maturity, but our subject's father is the only one now living. The last one that died was eighty-one years of age. The great-grandfather, Robert Ashworth, was born in the town of Denton, England, and was a hatter also. Frederick Whitehead passed his youthful days in Wisconsin and there received a fair education. He was early instructed in the duties of farm life by his father, and at the breaking out of the late war entered the Federal service in Company C., Thirty-second Wisconsin Infantry. He was discharged in June, 1865, and participated in the following battles: Tallahatchie, Holly Springs, Parker's Cross Roads, Colliersville, Monroe, Lafayette, Marion Station, Paducah, Decatur, Courtland, the siege of Atlanta, Jonesboro, Savannah, Salkehatchie, Orangeburg, Columbia, Cheraw, Fayetteville, Bentonville, Raleigh, and many other skirmishes. He participated in twenty-two general engagements. He then returned home, and in April, 1867, he was married to Miss R. Carter, a native of Wisconsin, born in 1851, and the fruits of this union have been two children: Alvin and Merty. Mr. Whitehead continued to farm in Wisconsin until 1872, when he came to Nebraska and homesteaded Section 18, Town 10, Range 11. He sold this in 1878 and the following year bought his present property, paying $10 an acre for it, and raised enough the first year to pay for it all. He in now the owner of 155 acres and feeds cattle every winter. He has about ninety head of cattle on his farm, hogs in proportion, and also raises some horses. He is a member of the Shauppsville Farmers' Alliance and is chaplain for the lodge. He belongs to Brady (sic) Post No. 134, G. A. R., and is also a member of the A. O. U. W. In his political views he affiliates with the Republica party. The father of Mrs. Whitehead, William Carter, was born in Massachusetts, and the mother in Wales. The father was a joiner and ship carpenter by trade, and died on January 28, 1882, at the age of eighty-one years. The mother died in 1866 at the age of forty-one years. Her maiden name was Laura Williams. Grandfather Williams was a native of Wales, who came to America at an early day.
E. Whitehead, farmer and stock-raiser, Cairo, Hall County, Neb. The estate which Mr. Whtehead now cultivates embraces 200 acres, land well adapted to the purposes of general farming, and in his operations he displays those sterling principles characteristic of men of New York State, especially industry and wise, judicious management. He was born in Herkimer County in 1851, and was one of nine children born to his parents [see sketch of Fred Whitehead]. The children were named as follows: James, Mariah, Mary, Samuel, William, Frederick, Eleanor, Margaret and Ervin. Seven of these children grew to maturity. In 1857 the family emigrated from New York to Wisconsin, and there remained until 1873, when they broke up. Ervin Whitehead emigrated to Hall County, Neb., and took up the southwest quarter of Section 2, Township 11, Range 12 west, where he still resides. When he came to Nebraska he was without money but was blessed with good health and plenty of energy, a fact which is clearly demonstrated by his success. He is a man of more than ordinary business ability, and one who is universally respected. He served three terms from Cameron Township, as county supervisor, and has for eight years filled the office of school treasurer in the district where he lives. He is at present the president of Cairo Farmers' Alliance Business Association, and is a member of the A. O. U. W. Of his fine farm every acre is tillable, and all is under fence. He has a good young orchard, in fact one of the best in this part of the county. To his marriage have been born three children: Lloyd, Edith and Ervin.
Henry Wiese, farmer and stock-raiser, Grand Island, Neb. This prominent and most successful citizen was originally from Holstein, Germany, where his birth occured in 1836, and is the second in a family of children born to the union of A. and Catherine (Wiese) Wiese, natives also of Hostein, Germany. The parents sailed from Hamburg, Germany, in the fall of 1858, on the vessel "Austria" which was burned in mid ocean, and both parents perished. Henry Wiese was educated in Holstein, Germany, and immigrated to the United States in 1856. He came direct to Davenport, Scott County, Iowas, and engaged in agricultural pursuits for some time. In 1859 he was married in Scott County to Miss Anna Wiese, a native also of Germany and the daughter of Paul and Betha (Spaeth) Wiese, who were born in the same country. Her parents emigrated to the United States, located in Nebraska, and both died in Hall County of that State. After farming in Scott County, Iowa, until 1871, Mr. Wiese emigrated to Nebraska, and bought a partly improved farm of 174 acres in Hall County. This he has since added to and improved, until he now has 274 acres of as good land as is to be found in the county. He has good substantial buildings and is prosperous and contented. Although not active in politices, he votes with the Democratic party. He and Mrs. Wiese are members of the German Lutheran Church. To this marriage have been born six children: Lena (now Mrs. Kruger, of Hall County), Katie (now Mrs. Buttner, of Hall County), William (married, and resides in this county), Henry, Gustav, and Otto (who is married and resides at home). Mr. Wiese has seen a great many changes in the country since coming here, and has aided in all laudable entreprises for the good of his adopted State. He has made all his property by his own exertions.
Hans Wiese has been a resident of Nebraska for the past nineteen years, and it is safe to say that there is not a man of sounder principle, or who possesses more sterling principles than he. He was born in Holstein, Germany, in 1843, being a son of Paul and Bertha (Spaeth) Wiese, the former of whom was a tiller of the soil in his native land. In 1865 he came to America, landing at New York City, and immediately went to a son who lived in Scott County, Iowa, and from that time until his death made his home with his children and died in Nebraska, at the home of his son, Hans, in 1876, having been an earnest member of the Lutheran Church for many years. His wife was born in Holstein, Germany, in 1806, and bore her husband six children, all of whom grew to maturity, and five are now living and are residents of Hall County. They all came to Nebraska at the same time, and are now the owners of good farms and are prosperous citizens. The mother was also a member of the Lutheran Church, and died in Nebraska in June, 1883. Hans Wiese, the immediate subject of this biography, came to the United States in 1864, and landed in New York City April 14 or 15, the voyage having taken eleven days. He soon came westward, and for some time worked on a farm near Davenport, Iowa, receiving $27 for his first month's wages. After a short time he began renting land, and two years later he was united in marriage to Miss Cahterine Hirt, a native of Pennsylvania, born in 1850. When three or four years old, she was taken by her parents to Davenport, Iowa, and was there reared and educated in the common schools. In 1871 Mr. Wiese came with his family to Nebraska, and for one year they resided near Grand Island on rented land, then homesteaded their present property, and here have made their home ever since. He has gradually increased his acreage until he is now the owner of 500 acres of land, well stocked and improved, and ever since locating here he has been regarded as a man of enterprising and progressive spirit, and a careful and energetic tiller of the soil. He and wife are the parents of the following children: Emma, John William, Charles Martin, Matilda M. and August Paul. Mr. Wiese is a Democrat. Mrs. Wiese's father was born in Prussia, and at an early day emigrated to America and settled in Pennsylvania. He was married in Germany, and his wife died when Mrs. Wiese was a child. He was a laborer in an iron furnace in Pennsylvania, but is now a farmer in Iowa.
WILHELM, A. H.
A. H. Wilhelm, a real-estate dealer and notary public of Grand Island, Neb., was born in New York City, February 20, 1849, being a son of Hyronimus N. and Sophia (Spangenberg) Wilhelm, who were from Goettingen, Hanover, Germany, and after their marriage emigrated to the United States, and in the year 1840 settled in New York Ccity. The father was a graduate in medicine from a leading German college, and upon settling in the above-named place he practiced the profession for many years, enjoying a large and lucrative patronage, but during his declining years retired from active duty, and in 1867 passed from life at the age of sixty eight years. His wife survives him and still resides in New York. A. H. Wilhelm is the second son and fifth of seven children, and grew to manhood in his native city, being reared to a commercial life, which he followed for many years, as a knight of the gripsack. In April, 1872, he came to Grand Island, Neb., and engaged in merchandising, and from 1876 to 1882 sold agricultural implements also. In 1884 he moved to Columbus, Miss., remaining there about one year, whence he returned to Grand Island. From that time until the fall of 1889 he was book-keeper and confidential clerk for John L. Means, and at the end of that time embarked in his present occupation, and is now doing a thriving business. He was married in 1873 to Annie Sophia, eldest daughter of Hon. Edward Hooper, whose sketch appears in this work, and by her has had a family of four children: Edward, Alvin and Mabel (living) and Alice (deceased). The family worship in the Episcopal Church, and Mr. Wilhelm is a member of the A. O. U. W.
WILSON, Seth W.
Seth W. Wilson is now successfully following the occupation to which he was reared, that of farming and fine stock-raising, a calling that has for ages received undivided efforts from many worthy individuals, and one that has always furnished sustenance to the ready worker. His farm, which comprises 320 acres, is one of the finest for successful agricultural purposes in the county, and is well improved, with a good residence, barn and accompanying sheds for his stock, granaries, etc. He was born in Pennsylvania in 1850, and from that Sate removed to the State of Nebraska, in 1871, havingm only a short time before coming here, been married to Miss Harriet Hartsock, a native of the "Keystone State," born in 1852. To them a family of three children have been born: Myrtle, Ora and Leon. Mr. Wilson has supported the men and measures of the Republican party ever since he attained his majority, and has held a number of local offices in his township. Mr. Wilson is a son of Ira Wilson and Mary (Hart) Wilson, who were born in New Jersey and Pennsylvania in 1811 and 1818, respectively, and removed to Nebraska in 1873, taking up their abode on a farm adjoining their son's. Mrs. Wilson is a daughter of Daniel and Mary (Bryan) Hartsock, who were born in New York and Pennsylvania, in 1809 and 1815, and died in their respective States in 1885 and 1880.
Adam Windolph is the proprietor of a well-equipped and well-conducted livery and sale stable at Grand Island, Neb., and like all his countrymen, possesses those characteristics which are necessary to the successful conduct of any business. He was born in the town of Uder, kingdom of Prussia, Germany, April 28, 1833, and is the fourth child and second son born to the marriage fo Andrew Windolph and Margaret Biel. The father was a successful groceryman, although the majority of the male members of his family were husband-man, the Biels being also followers of that calling. Adam Windolph grew to manhood in Germany, and in his youth became familiar with the datails fo the grocery business, which calling received his attention until 1864, when he came to America and settled at Kankakee, Ill., but only remained a few months, and after a still shorter stay in Iowa he found himself in Nebraska in the year 1865. He farmed for several years, and after dealing in live stock for some time he built a large feed barn, to which he has since given his attention. His establishment is excellently conducted and nets him a paying annual income, and besides this he is the owner of the Windolph Block, and some fine residence property in Grand Island. His wife was formerly Miss Marguerite Stender, who was born in Kirchgandern, Germany in the year 1840, she being the daughter of John Stender. Mr. and Mrs. Windolph became the parents of two sons and six daughters: John (who is associated with his father in the live-stock business), Adam (who is also a stockman), Elizabeth (wife of Peter Heintz, who is engaged in the agricultural implement business in Grand Island, and by whom she is the mother of two children: Maggie and Paul), Katrina, Mary, Annie, Lena and Minnie. Mr. Windolph and his family are regular communicants of the St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church, and he is a trustee of the same. He is a member of the Catholic Knights of America, and is a man whom all respect and esteem.
WINN, George Elliot
George Elliot Winn, contractor and builder and proprietor of the Grand Island planing-mill, was born in the "Green Mountain State," at Windsor, in 1850, being a son of James and Adaline (Bruce) Winn, both being members of old Scotch families and natives of Vermont. Upon reaching manhood George E. Winn determined to follow the advice of Horace Greeley to young men and "go west," and the year 1877 found him in the State of Nebraska, located at what in now Benton, but the following year he came to Grand Island, and became an employe in the car shops at this place, remaining thus employed for five years. At the end of this time he engaged in contracting and building, and many of the handsomest buildings in the city were erected by him, among which may be mentioned the residences of A. H. Baker, W. H. Platt, John Voetle and W. B. Dingman. He is conducting business on an extensive scale, and gives employment to about eighteen hands throughout the year. While a resident of his native State he was united in the bonds of matrimony to Miss Emma S. Thorton, and by her has two sons and two daughters: Lena, Paul, Harry, and Alice. Mr. Winn has been identified with the business interests of Hall County ever since locating here, and as a carpenter and builder he is, as all will acknowledge, an adept of a high order, and all things of a public nature which point to a material benefit of the county receive his hearty support.
WINN, H. S.
H. S. Winn, farmer and stock-raiser, Wood River, Neb. It is well known all over the county that he whose name heads this sketch is among the most influential and public-spirited citizens of Wood River Township. He was born in Muskingum County, Ohio, in 1840, and is the son of James and Eliza (Shaw) Winn, natives of Virginia. The father was born on September 30, 1808, and is now residing in the Buckeye State. H. S. Winn received a common-school education, and on August 28, 1861, he enlisted in the Second Ohio Infantry, and was taken prisoner on September 20, 1863. Previous to that he was in a number of the principal engagements, and after his capture was taken to Richmond, Va., Danville, and thence to Andersonville, where he remained until September, 1864, when he was taken to Milan, Ga., and there paroled on November 18 of that year. Thirteen of our subject's comrades went to Andersonville together and only four came out alive. For his service Mr. Winn received $552.50, which he invested in land in Illinois, and he is very proud of the fact that he got his first start on the money he drew while he was in prison. On April 4, 1866, he was married to Miss Fannie S. Bratton, and to them have been born seven children: Octavia A., Etta E., Oakley A. I., Viola M., Ida B., Annie E. and Lillian G. Mr. Winn remained in Illinois until 1873, when he moved to Nebraska, and is now one of the most successful and practical farmers of Hall County, in spite of mishaps and droughts. He has half a section of land, and ships and feeds a great many cattle each year. He is a member of the Farmers' Union and has his life insured for $3,000. He is a Republican in politics, is a member of the G. A. R., and is also a member of the A. O. U. W. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal Church.
WOLF, Rev. Dean Wunibald
Very Rev. Dean Wunibald Wolf, the able and eloquent pastor of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church at Grand Island, Neb., and dean of the Grand Island District, was born in Westphalia, Germany, Febvruary 22, 1854. He received his education in the college of Paderborn, which institution he attended for nine years, and in 1876 he emigrated to the United States, and landed in New York City on November 1 of that year. He at once proceeded to Milwaukee, Wis., where, upon his arrival, he entered St. Francis Theological Seminary, in which institution he completed a full course, being ordained on June 27, 1880, for the diocese of Nebraska. He at once entered upon his ministerial labors, and after spending one year in Greeley County, Neb., and five years as pastor of the Roman Catholic Churches at Crete and Friend, Saline County, Neb., he on October 9, 1886, entered upon his duties as pastor of St. Mary's Roman Catholic Church at Grand Island, and here has discharged his duties with distinguished abiltiy ever since. March 1, 1887, he was appointed by Bishop O'Connor, of Omaha, dean of the Grand Island District, and is now serving in that capacity. He is an able pastor, is a pleasant spoken, agreeable gentleman, and is very popular with all classes.
Jesse Woodward holds an enviable position among the prominent and successful men of Hall County,, Neb., and the property which he now owns has been obtained through his own earnest endeavor. He is a native of England, born in Gloucestershire, on July 22, 1832, and is a son of Jacob and Harriet Woodward, also of English birth. Jesse Woodward emigrated to the States in 1852, landing in New York City in June of that year, and first took up his abode in Washington County, N. Y., but two years later went to Worcester, Mass., which place he made his home for several years. He was married there March 24, 1868, to Miss Hannah A. Wentworth, a native of Connecticut, and a daughter of Benjamin Wentworth, and there resided until he came west and settled in Hall County, Neb., on an island in the Platte River, where he remained for about eighteen months engaged in cutting and hauling wood. At the end of this time he moved to the town of Grand Island, and after residing here one year took up a homestead claim, and now has eighty acres in a good state of cultivation, on which are erected a good residence, barn and other out-buildings. His farm is situated about two miles from town, and here he has made his home since 1870. He and wife have a family of five children: Harriet L. (wife of Byron N. Ring), Ellen F., Stephen T. (married), Laura Ann and Emma I.
ZINK, David C.
David C. Zink is a straightforward and properous real estate agent of Hall County, Neb. He was born in Davidson County, N. C., November 10, 1862, and is a son of Solomon and Elizabeth (Clodfelter) Zink, the former of whom was killed in the War of the Rebellion in 1863 near Richmond, Va., when about thirty-five years of age. The mother died in Liverpool, Perry County, Pa., in 1869, having removed from North Carolina to that State in 1863. David C. Zink is the youngest of three brother, the other two members of the family being Samuel J., who was born in 1858 and now resides in Davidson County, N. C., and William D., who was born in 1854 and resided in Liverpool, Pa. David C. began to make his own way in the workd at the ectremely early age of seven years, and after working for his board for one year in Liverpool, and also attending school, he began working on a farm for Levi Hunter, six miles from that town, where he remained until he was sixteen years of age, then went to Harrisburg, and for two years was in the employ of Hon. Don Cameron. In 1881 he came to Grand Island, Neb., and in the spring of that year began working on a farm whcih was then one mile out of the town, but in now a part of the city. He continued to remain here for seven months, then entered the employ of J. B. Murray & Co., and was an efficient clerk in their grocery for about four years. In 1884 he embarked in this business on his own responsibility, and succesfully conducted affairs for two years under the firm name of Zink, Hunter & Co. At the end of this time he became a traveling salesmaan for Kennard & Miller, of St. Joseph, Mo., and on January 1, 1888, engaged in the real estate business under the firm name of Zink & Hathaway, which connection continued until August1, 1889, since which time Mr. Zink has been alone in business. He is also a general loan agent, and annually handles about $200,000. Mr. Zink is a capable and energetic man of business, and is active in every measure advanced for the general good of the city and county, and deserves much credit for the admirable way in which he has surmounted the many difficulties which have strewn his pathway from early boyhood. His marriage to Miss Nettie E., a daughter of Levi Hunter, was consumated in 1883. His wife was born in Pennsylvania, and they were reared together, for in his youth, as above stated, he resided with Mr. Hunter for a number of years. Her mother was Sarah E. Hunter, who died in 1877. Mr. Zink is a stanch Republican, and his first presidential vote was cast for James G. Blaine. He is a member of the M. W. A., the Equitable Aid Union, and he and wife are members of the English Lutheran Church.
2003 © Kaylynn, for the AHGP