USGenWeb Project                                                                                  NEGenWeb Project 
USGenWeb Project                         ©copyright 2002-2008 TN                        NEGenWeb Project
Sioux County NE

divider


Andrews, Sioux County, Nebraska History & Cemetery Records
Location of cemetery: Sec 26, Twp 31, Range 55; 1 stone marker visible, date is 1916, most recent burial 1935
Andrews, Nebraska

A train depot was built on the Fremont, Elkhorn & Missouri railroad at Andrews, NE in 1885.  The railroad was later named the Chicago Northwestern.  There was a water tower, coal chute and two sidings.  Andrews was first called Hunter, a trading post on the Cheyenne-Fort Robinson stage road.  A post office was established March 19, 1903 and on March 8, 1906 the name was changed to Andrews.  The named reportedly honored the man who homesteaded where the town was located.  There was a café, room house for railroad workers, stockyards,  grocery store, blacksmith shop, a bowery and a local band. School Dist. #30 school house was on a hill above town.  In 1933 9th & 19th grade were added to the curriculum.  The schoolhouse was used as a community hall and church services were also held there.
Ed Swartz was an early settler, George Watson lived there 33 years, two generations of Morrisons operated the post office & grocery, Fay Watson was the first and only barber and sold groceries, bought eggs and cream and had a pool table.  The Hilton brothers were employed on the railroad section the longest period of time. 
 There was and still is  a picnic ground. Names of some of the base ball players were:  Buckley, Gersic, Watson, Abel, Hilton, Toliver, Edgell.  Other entertainment included, swimming, ice skating, sleighing and Saturday night dances.
Today in 2002 Andrews is a ghost town, most building long gone, railroad tracks removed, school closed in 1959, post office closed in 1951.  In 1986 the old dance hall remained, as did the Swartz frame house.
Andrews Cemetery, Andrews, Sioux County, Nebraska
(copied from Sioux County Centennial Book, 1986  -  No Dates are given)

1.  Bell, Walter – infant son       
2.  Bell, Dean  - infant son       
3.  Bell, Infant               
4.  Gersic, Tom           
5.  Gersic, Mrs. – mother of Tom   
6.  Rollie, Infant   
7.  Watson, Argil (Argel George) obit: died age 8 on 21 Dec 1917, son of George Watson. 
Funeral was held at Andrews school and burial took place "up the hill from the school" and was the first burial.           
8.  Wilson, John               
9.  Wilson, Mrs. John

_____________________





If you have questions about this information - contact me

rope

If you want to add something to this page,
contact the webmaster

Hosted by USGenNet
This site is hosted by USGenNet, a nonprofit web-hosting service solely supported by
tax-deductible donations. If this website has provided you with useful information,
please consider making a donation to USGenNet to help keep sites like this online.



  Kathie Harrison Graphics!