Volume One, no 4, page 164 Spring 1979
A-Donated by Nebraska State Historical Society
Compiled by John H. Newlin, Harrison Ne
EARLY HISTORY OF SIOUX COUNTY
In territorial days, before 1867, Western Ne was divided into 2
sub-divisions with no distinctive border between the two. The west
section was known as Beauvais Terras or Bad Lands, and the east
portion as The Great Sand Hills. The county was then much larger
than at present. About the only evidence of civilization was the
proposed wagon road from Fort Pierre to Laramie, in the northwest
corner and roughly paralleling the present Hat Creek.
When Ne became a state 1 Mar 1867, Sioux Co cane into
existence. Its eastern boundary was the west line of Holt Co and
the south boundary the 42 degree of latitude, its present
boundary. It was attached to Cheyenne Co for taxation,
administrative and judicial purposes for nearly a score of years. By
1883 the eastern part had been divided into 4 counties: Rock,
Brown, Keys Paha & Cherry counties, so that Sioux Co comprised
the territory now known as Sioux, Brown, Box Butte and Sheridan
Co's. The legislature of 1885 divided it Into Sioux, Dawes, Box
Butte & Sheridan Co's leaving Sioux Co with its present
The first people to visit Sioux Co were the MALLET brothers, then
the trappers came. SAGE came as early as 1845 and made a visit
her in connection with the American Fur Company. The next, the
establishment of Fort Robinson and the Red Cloud Agency. Edgar
Beecher BRONSON tarried on Soldier Creek for a time. EMMONS &
BREWSTER established the first ranch in Sioux Co. the Warbonnet
Ranch, on Warbonnet Creek, north of Harrison. Charles F. COFFEE
started the 010 ranch on Hat Creek in 1879. Dr. GRAHAM
established the Agate Spring ranch on Runningwater about that
The first real settlers arrived about 1880; L. E. BELDON was the
first man to file on a homestead, filing on what is now the Lake
Ranch, near the Fort Robinson Military Reservation. Dan KLEIN,
Henry KREMAN, Theodore TRIMBUR, John FOXWELL, John TUCKER
came about 1881 and settled along White River in the vicinity of
Glen. Joe MORRIS, W. H. ZIMMERMAN and a few others between
1884 and 1887 and settled in the Hat Creek valley north of
Harrison. Miss Sadie MORRIS was the first white child born in the
county. Mrs. Katherine GRAHAM was the first white woman to
make her home permanently in the Co. The first death, and burial
in the Harrison cemetery, was an elderly stranger who died alone
in a tent here. The next was Mrs. W. E. FIDDLER, who died while
passing through Harrison and was buried here. The first wedding
was Carl LUX & Rena FILLERS. The first religious services held in
the Co was held at the home of Mrs. GRAHAM at the Agate Springs
In Jun 1886, The Fremont Elkhorn & Missouri Valley Railroad
reached the present site of Harrison, building from Chadron to
Casper. The townsite was first named Summit on account of its
altitude, but was later changed to Bowen, and in the fall of 1887
was again changed to Harrison. The court house was built in 1888
by WHITNEY & MURPHY, the brick being burned in Sowbelly
canyon. The first paper printed in the Co was printed at Bodarc and
was called the "Bodarc Record," published by Charles F.
SLINGERLAND. The first school was taught by Miss Mary
DELAHUNTY, in the neighborhood of the Fort Robinson Military
Reservation. There were 42 pupils enrolled, 5 white children and
the rest half-breeds and quarter-bloods. Ed SATERLEE was the first
postmaster in Harrison. (Continued)
Volume One, no 4, page 165 Spring 1979
B-Donated by Nebraska State Historical Society
Compiled by John H. Newlin, Harrison Ne
(continued-Early History of Sioux County)
The firstpost office in the co was Warbonnet,at the Warbonnet Ranch
with B. E. BREWSTER postmaster. The first doctor was George J.
SHAFER, the first ordained minister to hold services was Rev. J. Z.
SCHAMAHORN. B. F. THOMAS was the first co superintendent and
the first cc surveyor. J. G. MORRIS, J. F. PFOST & D. H. GRISWOLD
were the first cc commissioners, appointed by the governor. The
first elective officers were: C. E. VERITY, Charles C. JAMISON,
Edmund C. LOCKWOOD, Edward D. SATTERLEE, Benjamin F.
THOMAS, J. F. PFOST, W. M. PENNINGTON, Charles H. ANDREWS,
A. J. MCGINLEY, J. G. MORRIS, & Daniel KLEIN. The cc seat was
located at Harrison.
Chief YELLOW HAND was killed by Buffalo Bill CODY in the fall of
1876 on Warbonnet Creek. The last battle between the soldiers
and Indians in Ne took place near what is now Story postoffice,
early in the year of 1879.
The court house was voted to build on 18 Feb 1930 with E. L.
GOLDSMITH & Co as architects of Scottsbluff & James FULLEN
general contractor of Gering builders.
County officers 21 Jul 1930 were Charles Sidney WILLIAMS,
Joseph STANEK, A. C. DAVIS, Mary E. BRODERICK, Mrs. Elizabeth
EMERY, J. H. WILHERMSDORFER, E. B. LYON, Anna LYON, Albert L.
SCHNURR, W. E. MUMBY, I. D. HICKEY, L. M. CHILDS. L. M. LEWIS.
Address to the public & laying of corner stone by Hon. E. L. MEYER
judge of the 16th Judicial District, of which Sioux Co is a part.