This is a NEGenWeb Project web page
and is presented as part of the
MARDOS Memorial Library Collection.
Bohemian Slavonian Benevolent Society:
In 1922 the name was changed to Czecho-Slovak Protective Society, C. S. P.S. in Czech: Cesko-Slovensky Podporujici Spolek. The oldest existing fraternal Czech organization in the United States, established in March 1854 in St. Louis, Mo. The first society of this Order to be founded in Nebraska was Lodge Palacky No. 19, July 22, 1877 (named for the famous Czech historian). The founders were: John Rosicky, F. J. Sadilek, Vaclav Jablecnik, Frank Vodicka, John Glickhauf, John Hora, V. L. Vodicka, Anton Pokorny, J. Cajkovsky and Anton J. Hanys. This Order flourished for many years in Nebraska as well as all over the United States, but in February 1897, when the Western Bohemian Fraternal Ass'n was established in Omaha, the majority of the western lodges affiliated with it. At the present time there are in our state the following lodges of the Bohemian Slavonian Benevolent Society with 400 members:
Wahoo Pionyr No. 25, WAHOO; Svojan No. 29, WILBER; Jaroslav No. 38, WEST POINT; Tabor No. 40, HUMBOLDT; Zapadni Jednota No. 42, SCHUYLER; Dennice No. 81, SEDLOV (P.O. GERANIUM); Jednota Pokroku No. 97, LINCOLN; Borivoj No. 138, DODGE; Omaha No. 144, OMAHA; Hvezda Svobody No. 145, SOUTH OMAHA; Vladislav I. No. 149, PRAGUE.
In two instances, Hvezda Svobody in South Omaha and Vladislav I. in Prague, the lodges remained with the old order and entered the new also.
Western Bohemian Fraternal Association:
In Czech: Zapadni Cesko Bratrska Jednota. This order was founded in Omaha, at a convention called for that purpose and held February 9 to 11, 1897. Fifteen Nebraska lodges belonging to the Bohemian Slavonian Benevolent Society participated, seven from Minnesota, one from North Dakota, six from Iowa and two from Wisconsin, while five sent letters agreeing with the object of the convention.
The Bohemian Slavonian Benevolent Society had prospered until the beginning of the nineties, when the growth stopped and in some lodges the numbers of members began to diminish. This because the large English-language orders were springing up, with payments based on age and other necessary improvements. All Bohemian Slavonian Benevolent Society members paid the same dues, regardless of age, and the Order did not admit women to full membership. They came in as associate members, as wives of their husbands, and their insurance was limited to $250.00, with no sick benefits. At this convention the Western Bohemian Fraternal Association was founded upon a basis similar, in a general way, to the large English-language fraternal orders. The old Order (C. S. P.S.) operates principally in the east, although in its next convention (following that of the W. B. F. A. in 1897), it instituted the same improvements, while prior to that the eastern delegates in conventions denied these improvements at the request of the western delegates. The Western Bohemian Fraternal Ass'n is at present the largest Czech fraternal union in Nebraska, largely because it admits women on equal terms with men and is entirely impartial in the matter of religion. The Bohemian Slavonian Benevolent Society, on the other hand, at first and for a long time was distinctly anticlerical and has not entirely renounced that position. The Western Bohemian Fraternal Association was the first Czech order to admit women on equal terms with men, and of late it is establishing lodges for the young generation, where the business is conducted in English. In the list following several lodges with English names can be noted. Thus the way is paved for the future, when English will predominate. At present there are in Nebraska the following lodges with 7,095 members, of whom about one third are women:
Boyd County: Lipany No. 56, Lynch; Karlin No. 40, Spencer.
Buffalo County: Zizkuv Palcat No. 25, Ravenna.
Butler County: Havlicek Borovsky No. 66, Abie; Cecho-Moravan No. 68, Brainard; Brno No. 43, Bruno; Dobroslav No. 12, David City; Dwight No. 158, Dwight; Ratolest Mladocechu No. 31, Linwood.
Cass County: Tyrs No. 18, Plattsmouth.
Colfax County: Zapadni Svornost No. 28, Clarkson; Svoboda No. 60, Howell; Blanik No. 93, Schuyler.
Dodge County: Neruda No. 57, Beemer; J. A. Komensky, No. 59, Dodge; Golden Rod No. 265, Dodge; Fremont No. 156, Fremont.
Custer County: Cerchov No. 25, Comstock; Sargent No. 139, Sargent; Joseph Jungman No. 161, Sargent.
Douglas County--All in Omaha: Palacky No. 1; Hvezda Svobody No. 45; Jiri Podebradsky No. 72; Eliska Premyslovna No. 77; Slovan No. 78; Eliska Krasnohorska No. 113; Dobromila No. 116; Mlady Rozkvet No. 195: Pathfinder No. 263; Zest No. 296; Pokrok Omahy No. 322; Pavla Cechova No. 312.
Fillmore County: Zbirov No. 138, Exeter; Fillmore No. 268, Exeter; Rabi No. 26, Milligan; Svatopluk Cech No. 76, Milligan; Cechie No. 122, Milligan.
Gage County: Kralove Hradec No. 17, Odell; Sumavan No. 130, Virginia; Budejovice No. 61, Wymore.
Holt County: Atkinson No. 178, Atkinson.
Howard County: Elba No. 213, Elba; Cech No. 152, Farwell, Kutna Hora No. 167, St. Paul.
Knox County: Vysehrad No. 53, Niobrara; Sladkovsky No. 8, Pishelville; Bila Hora No. 5, Verdigre; America No. 276, Verdigre.
Pawnee County: Osveta No. 94, Burchard; Jan Kollar No. 101, Du Bois; Premysl Otakar II No. 84, Table Rock.
Perkins, County: Trebic No. 274, Elsie.
Pierce County: Veda No. 197, Osmond; Cesky Prapor No. 199, Pierce.
Platte County: Jan Hus No. 50, Lindsay.
Saline County: Nebraska No. 3, Crete; Karolina Svetla No. 96, Crete; Tabor No. 74, Dorchester; Kolumbus No. 133, Friend; Vlastenec No. 120, Swanton; Krivoklat No. 79, Tobias; Ladimir Klacel No. 92, Western; Vlastenky Zapadu No. 117, Western; Praha No. 54, Wilber; Libuse No. 70, Wilber; Mir No. 132, Wilber.
Saunders County: Plzen No. 9, Morse Bluff; Moravska Orlice No. 21, Morse Bluff; Vladislav I No. 29, Prague; Prazske Vlastenky No. 137, Prague; Lidumil No. 87, Weston.
Seward County: Bee No. 214, Bee.
Valley County: Slavin No. 112, Geranium; Dennice No. 14, Ord.
Webster County: Caslav No. 212, Red Cloud.
Czech-Slavonian Workman Benevolent Association:
In Czech: Cesko Slovanska Delnicka Podporujici Jednota. The first lodge of this union was Cechie No. 11, South Omaha, established July 23, 1898. The following lodges existed in our state, with 402 members:
Cechie No. 11, South Omaha; Pokrok No. 21, Omaha; Pavla Cechova No. 22, South Omaha; Horymir No. 30, Plattsmouth; Clarkson No. 32, Clarkson; Hvezda Zapadu No. 33, Prague.
The above association was merged with the West. Boh. Frat. Association in 1929.
Union of Bohemian Women:
In Czech: Jednota Ceskych Dam. This order is affiliated, as to a liberal (in religion) programme with the Bohemian Slavonian Benevolent Society, although not in any sense an auxiliary. The first lodge of this order in Nebraska was established in Wilber, lodge Hvezda Zapadu, on September 28, 1885, and was initiated January 5, 1886. At present there are the following lodges in Nebraska with 1,455 members:
Hvezda Zapadu No. 28, Wilber; Vlastislava No. 29, Omaha; Vytrvalost No. 34, Schuyler; Olivova Ratolest No. 35, South Omaha; Dcery Vlasti No. 48, Linwood; Eliska Premyslovna No. 58, Clarkson; Boleslava No. 60, Omaha; Kvetoslava No. 64, Crete; Hvezda Nove Doby No. 86, Omaha; Lilie Zapadu No. 89, Bruno; Vesna No. 90, Milligan; Ruze Vitezstvi No. 92, Ravenna; Taboritky No. 96, Humboldt; Pavla Cechova No. 113 Wilber.
The Sisterhood Benevolent Union:
In Czech: Sesterska Podporujici Jednota. There are three lodges of this order in the state, numbering 329 members and they are:
Mirnost No. 19, South Omaha (the first, est. November 21, 1896); Luna No. 22, Wilber; Vlastenky Zapadu No. 34, South Omaha.
Bohemian Roman Catholic Central Union in The United States:
In Czech: Ceska Katolicka Prvni Ustredni Jednota. This is the oldest order of its kind in the country, having been established in St. Louis, Mo., in 1877. Like the oldest non-Catholic Czech fraternal order, it met with secession of the western lodges, largely for the same reasons.
In the early days of its existence it numbered several lodges in our state, but at the present time but a handful of members represent it. Three in Omaha, belonging to the lodge St. Jan Nepomucky; five in Plasi, to lodge Cyril a Methodej; seven in Wilber, to lodge sv. Vaclava and five in St. Paul, to lodge sv. Pavel.
The first lodge of this Order in Nebraska was that of Ssv. Cyril a Methodej No. 32, in Wahoo, founded September 15, 1879.
Western Bohemian Catholic Union:
In Czech: Zapadni Cesko Katolicka Jednota. The reason for the secession of the lodges belonging to the Bohemian Catholic Central Union, whereby the Western Bohemian Catholic Union was founded, are practically the same for the secession of the lodges belonging to the Bohemian Slavonian Benevolent Society, which founded the Western Bohemian Fraternal Assn. These western lodges noted that the death-rate in the east, notably in the large cities, was growing higher than in the rural communities of the west. In short, they were beginning to pay out more than they received. The lodges in St. Paul, Minnesota, elected a committee, which sent out circulars regarding the matter, and the concensus of opinion was that the Union be asked to levy smaller assessments on the western lodges, in proper ratio to the deaths in their ranks. A convention was called for September 27, 1898, in Omaha, and the following states sent delegates: Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, South and North Dakota. A committee consisting of Rev. J. Rynda, Rev. J. C. Votypka, L. J. Kudrna and J. J. Kovarik drafted a petition, stating among other things that the heavy assessments detract young members from joining and will compel the older ones to resign. This petition asked that only fourteen assessments be levied annually on these western states, and agreed, in case assessments in the east reached twenty-five or more annually, to pay two extra assessments, just to help carry the burden. It was agreed, in case this petition be refused, to found a new order. Inasmuch as this very thing happened, the Western Bohemian Catholic Union was established September 29, 1898. Among other improvements was that of arranging assessments according to age of applicant. The first officers were: Rev. J. C. Votypka, Chaplain; L. J. Kudrna, President; F. P. Rumreich, Vice-President; J. J. Kovarik, Secretary; Joseph Machovec, Treasurer; Dr. Vaclav J. Hovorka, Physician; Joseph Zaloudek, Charles Youngwirth and Vojtech Simek, Trustees. The territory was Iowa, Minnesota, Nebraska, North Dakota and South Dakota. Two divisions were provided for, the second for the old members who would have been unable to keep up their assessments under the former rates. This Union was incorporated under the laws of the State of Iowa and began its existence on January 1, 1899, with 63 lodges in Division I and 10 in Division II. Nebraska came forward with the following:
Division I: Ssv. Cyrila a Methodeje No. 1, Omaha; Sv. Jana Krtitele No. 3, South Omaha; Sv. Vaclava No. 9, Tabor; Nejsvetejsi Trojice No. 11, Brainard; Sv. Vaclava No. 15, Omaha; Ssv. Petra a Pavla No. 16,. Prague; Sv. Vaclava No. 19, Verdigre; Sv. Petra No. 22, St. Paul; Ssv. Petra a Pavla No. 23, Abie; Sv. Jana Nepomuckeho No. 24, Weston; Sv. Vaclava No. 25, Ravenna; Sv. Jana Nepomuckeho No. 29, Omaha; Sv. Vaclava No. 31, Milligan; Sv. Josefa No. 32, Omaha; Sv. Vincence No. 33, Crete; Sv. Jana Krtitele No. 34, Morse Bluff; Sv. Jana Nepomuckeho No. 37, Plattsmouth; Sv. Vaclava No. 38, Dodge; Ssv. Cyrila a Methodeje No. 41, Plasi; Ssv. Cyrila a Methodeje No. 44, Wahoo; Sv. Josefa Kal No. 45, David City (Appleton); Sv. Vaclava No. 47, South Omaha; Sv. Vaclava No. 58, Plattsmouth; Sv. Vaclava No. 60, Netolice (Geranium); Ssv. Petra a Pavla No. 61, Lawn.
Later the following joined: Sv. Josefa No. 65, Howell; Sv. Vaclava No. 71, Bruno; Ssv. Petra a Pavla No. 72, Lawrence; Sv. Tadease No. 74, Dwight.
Division II: Sv. Jana Nepomuckeho No. 4, Weston; Ssv. Cyrila a Methodeje No. 7, Wahoo; Sv. Josefa No. 9, Plasi.
During the convention held in Cedar Rapids, Iowa, in 1903, the lodges in Division II were given permission to enter those in Division I and eventually all did so. Later it was found that the assessments must be raised to provide a reserve fund for the future and this was done in the convention held in New Prague, Minn., in September, 1922. The Union thus became solvent and safe. In 1929 it was merged with the Catholic Workman.
In Czech: Katolicky Delnik. The first lodge of this order was established in Heun, that of Ssv. Petra a Pavla No. 6, June 1, 1894. At the present time there are in Nebraska the following lodges with 1,654 members, whose insurance amounts to $1,726,615.00:
Ssv. Petra a Pavla No. 6 (Heun) Clarkson; Sv. Vaclava No. 7, St. Paul; Sv. Prokopa No. 8, Scribner; Sv. Bartolomeje No. 11, Plattsmouth; Sv. Vaclava No. 13, Prague; Sv. Jana Nepomuckeho No. 14, Howell; Sv. Josefa No. 15, Ravenna; Sv. Ivana No. 16, Brainard; Sv. Prokopa No. 17, Weston; Sv. Prokopa No. 18, Omaha; Ssv. Cyrila a Methodeje No. 20, Abie; Sv. Marka No. 26, Weston; Narozeni Pane No. 32, Dwight; Sv. Jana Nepomuckeho No. 34, Verdigre; Sv. Ladislava No. 36, Valparaiso; Ssv. Petra a Pavla No. 37, South Omaha; Sv. Josefa No. 40, Clarkson; Sv. Josefa No. 41, Crete; Sv. Josefa No. 43, Monowi; Sv. Josefa No. 44, Geneva; Sv. Antonina Paduanskeho No. 53, Bruno; Nejsvetejsi Srdce Jezise No. 55, Morse Bluff; Sv. Vaclava No. 58. Wahoo; Ssv. Cyrila a Methodeje No. 62, David City; Sv. Lukase No. 69, Loma; Sv. Josefa No. 74, Stratton; Sv. Vaclava No. 76, Linwood; Sv. Josefa No. 80, Clarkson; Sv. Josefa No. 81, South Omaha; Sv. Josefa No. 88, St. Paul; Sv. Josefa No. 122, Schuyler; Sv. Vojtecha No. 127, Omaha.
Catholic Sokol Union:
In Czech: Katolicka Jednota Sokol. The first club of this Union was that of sv. Vaclav in Omaha, organized July is, 1893. There are in Nebraska the following, with 427 members:
Omaha, South Side, No. 1; Verdigre, No. 12; Howell, No. 17; Weston, No. 26; Dodge, No. 85; Omaha, No. 43; Abie No. 49; Prague, No. 50; Clarkson, No. 54.
Women's Bohemian Roman Catholic Central Union:
In Czech: Ceska Rimsko-Katolicka Ustredni Jednota Zen. There are the following lodges of this Order in Nebraska, with 1,118 members:
No. 29, Crete (being the first, established April 22, 1891); No. 36, South Omaha; No. 39, Omaha; No. 44, Wilber; No. 46, Omaha; No. 50, South Omaha; No. 55, Tobias; No. 67, Clarkson; No. 68, Brainard; No. 69, Weston; No. 73, Plattsmouth; No. 77, Bruno; No. 78, Weston; No. 79, Abie; No. 50, Morse Bluff; No. 82, Howell; No. 94, Verdigre; No. 95, St. Paul; No. 108, Schuyler; No. 112, Touhy; No. 113, Morse Bluff; No. 114, Dodge; No. 127, Ulysses; No. 128, Clarkson; No. 129, Omaha; No. 141, Omaha; No. 146, Bee.
Women's Sokol Clubs: No. 1, South Omaha; No. 12, Verdigre; No. 17, Howell; No. 26, Weston; No. 35, Dodge; No. 43, Omaha. Numbering 720 members.
Daughters of Columbus:
In Czech: Dcery Kolumbovy. The first society of this Order was that of sv. Alzbeta, founded in South Omaha, January 1, 1906, bearing No. 1. Then followed those listed below, numbering in all 665 members:
Sv. Anna No. 2, Howell; Jmenovani Panny Marie No. 3, Crete; Panna Marie Lurdska No. 4, Milligan; Sv. Katerina No. 5, Omaha (St. Wenceslaus church); Sv. Ludmila No. 6, South Omaha; Sv. Alzbeta No. 9, Omaha (St. Wenceslaus church); Sv. Alzbeta No. 10, Omaha (St. Adalbert's church).
|Back||Table of Contents||Next|