This is a NEGenWeb Project web page
and is presented as part of the
MARDOS Memorial Library Collection.
FILLMORE COUNTY:--A cemetery called Bohemian Brethren (Ceskych Bratri) was established May 4, 1878, a mile and a half northwest of Milligan. In 1881, October 22, The Glengary Cemetery Society acquired the site. There were then a number of graves there, but the original settlers had moved away, and the title was passed to Lodge Rabi, (Western Bohemian Fraternal Association) and Tel. Jed. Sokol in Milligan, June 21, 1897, and is now owned by them jointly.
GAGE COUNTY:--A Bohemian National cemetery near Odell.
HAYES COUNTY:--A Catholic cemetery, established in 1889, adjoining the church built there in 1890, in Sec. 19, Township 6, Range 32, southeast quarter. In 1891 a Bohemian National cemetery was established in southwest quarter of Sec. 20.
HOLT COUNTY:--In 1884 a non-Catholic cemetery was established and Frank Zahradnicek (twenty-two-years old) and two small children were buried there. Later a Catholic church and cemetery were established in Atkinson and the children's bodies removed there, so Frank was left sole occupant.
HOWARD COUNTY:--The death of Anton Francl's child in the fall of 1876 revealed the immediate necessity of a cemetery for the pioneers of the Czech colony Slovania established in Howard County the previous year. A meeting was called, a temporary cemetery association organized and a cemetery located on a plot of two acres of ground in the n. w. quarter Sec. 10, Township 14, Range 11, donated for the purpose by Martin Slobodny, one of the pioneers. This was called the St. Wenceslaus Bohemian Catholic cemetery of Warsaw. The name Warsaw was attached because a postoffice of that name was located on the southeast quarter of the same section and the section was a part of the Warsaw Precinct. The majority of the pioneers of this Bohemian settlement are buried in this cemetery. It has been very much improved and beautified this year (1926) largely through the efforts of C. V. Svoboda, so that now it is one of the best-kept rural cemeteries in that section of the country.
The Bohemian Naional cemetery was located March 6, 1882, on a two-acre plot of ground in the n. w. quarter of Sec. 28, Township 15, Range 11, acquired for non-Catholic Bohemians from John Pokorny by Louis Moravec, Charles Kotik and others.
KNOX COUNTY:--A Catholic cemetery west of Verdigre, established in 1873, on land donated by John Beran, being west quarter of south west quarter of Sec. 5, Verdigre Township. A child of J. Mastalir was the first to be buried, in 1874. Platted and recorded in 1877.
Bohemian National cemetery, established by Lodge Bila Hora No. 5, Western Bohemian Fraternal Association, situated in northwest quarter Sec. 28, Sparta Township, established in 1881.
A cemetery in southeast quarter of north-east quarter Sec. 28, Western Township.
A cemetery in northeast quarter Sec. 26, near Pishelville, Western Township, established by Lodge Sladkovsky No. 8, Western Bohemian Fraternal Association, in 1886. Frank Vesely donated the land.
A cemetery in northwest quarter of southwest quarter Sec. 33, Bohemian Township, near Jelen. Established March 20, 1893.
PAWNEE COUNTY:--A Bohemian-Slavonian cemetery two miles east of Table Rock, established in 1877 and directed by a cemetery association, whose charter members were: Vojtech Hubka, Vaclav Fric, Frank Kovanda, Frank Raitera, Vojtech Kovanda, John Dufek, Joseph Verner, Joseph Kalous, Vaclav Kovanda, Daniel Hlavaty.
PIERCE COUNTY:--In 1885, when the Catholic parish was founded, Matej Havel gave an acre of ground a mile west of Pierce. He conducted funeral services there and in the homes, in emergencies, when a priest was not available. Later this became a mixed German-Bohemian parish.
RICHARDSON COUNTY:--A cemetery five miles southwest of Humboldt, established in 1880.
SALINE COUNTY:--Although this county is most heavily settled by our people, there are only two purely Czech cemeteries there. The first (originally) Czech cemetery in our state is the so-called Jindra cemetery near Crete. It did not remain wholly Czech. The first wholly Czech cemetery in our state is here also, the Big Blue or National cemetery, four miles north of Wilber. Data about both of these are recorded in the beginning of this chapter.
The Bohemian-Slavonian cemetery in Wilber is noted for its fine appearance. Frank Rejcha, the present secretary, has furnished the following information: On February 16, 1874, a meeting was called in Wilber, for the purpose of founding a cemetery. Sixty-one members enrolled and each agreed to pay $4.75, in payments, as a fee. Joseph Kobes agreed to sell forty acres of school land that he had taken in Sec. 16. The first payment per member was 70 cents each, to get together the amount which Kobes had had to pay as first payment on the land. The association borrowed money to purchase the land and this debt was paid off in time. Joseph Kobes was elected president, Joseph Prokes secretary; Frank Stepanek treasurer, Frank Tichy and Jacob Kobes trustees and Andreas Rezabek caretaker. Ten acres in the southwest corner were set aside for cemetery purposes, the rest "broken". All members who broke ground with a team for one day received a lot free, otherwise the cost was $5.00. Frank Seidl, a blacksmith, wanted a lot, but had no team or money. He offered to sharpen plowshares gratis for those who did the breaking and thereby received a lot. We make note of this just to show how difficult it was for pioneers to get a little money, so scarce in those days. The first body to be interred there was that of Joseph Karas, a ten-year-old boy, March 10, 1874, and in that year also were buried the bodies of Anna Schleis, George Parker and Helen Pivonka. In 1875 the cemetery was surveyed into lots. In 1876 Joseph Kobes rented the cultivated portion for $1.50 per acre. In 1886 the first fence (of wood) was put up. In 1887 the first Decoration Day was observed, although it was commemorated July 6, the anniversary of the burning of John Hus. This was repeated the following year, by which time Congress had set aside May 30 for this memorial and it was observed on that day thereafter. In 1888 dissension occurred. Some members wanted part of the cemetery to be set aside for the Catholics, but F. J. Sadilek and others succeeded in averting a disruption. In 1890 a building costing $102.50 was erected and a well 102 feet deep made. That year fire destroyed this building and a subscription was made to erect another. In 1891 a vandal knocked over and damaged a number of monuments and although the Association offered $50.00 reward for his apprehension, he was never found. In 1892 a windmill was purchased and in that year the first trees were planted. In 1911 a cement walk costing $2,415.00 and leading from the city limits to the cemetery was laid, a distance of one and a fourth miles. Joseph Rychtarik donated $50.00 and a strip of land for the purpose. Others subscribed to the amount of $1,600.00, the rest was paid by the Association. In 1919 an ornamental fence was erected at a cost of $2,821.05, the whole matter being under the supervision of secretary Rejcha. The Association established a fund for perpetual care. F. J. Sadilek, a Wilber pioneer, who as a non-sectarian speaker has officiated at more funerals of Czechs throughout our state than any other, naturally has thus served more of his townspeople, buried in this cemetery. Martin Janecek has taken care of the beautiful trees, and Frank Rejcha, who became secretary in 1916, undertook the Herculean task of making a complete record, dates of deaths, etc., of all buried here. This had never been done before. One side of the entrance gate bears the following inscription: "What you are, we were." On the other side: "What we are, you will be."
SAUNDERS COUNTY: Cedar Hill--A Catholic cemetery, two miles south and two miles west of Morse Bluffs, being the northwest quarter of southwest quarter of Sec. 36, Township 17, Range 5. Established when the church was built. J. F. Coltan, father of Mrs. Noteware, donated the land.
Morse Bluffs--Bohemian-Slavonian cemetery three miles west and half a mile south of Morse Bluffs, in northwest quarter, Sec. 23, Township 17, Range 5. Established about 1875.
Prague--Bohemian National cemetery. In 1888, one year after Prague was founded, Lodge Vladislav I No. 147 of the Bohemian Slavonian Benevolent Society (now Western Bohemian Fraternal Association) established a cemetery. Vaclav Kaspar offered to sell one acre of land for $25.00, in the northwest corner of his forty adjoining the town on the east. This was accepted and the cemetery fenced. The first to be buried there were Karel Svoboda and Miss Mary Belik. In 1900 four additional acres were bought of Vaclav Kaspar, at $50.00 per acre and the wooden fence replaced by one of wire and iron (enclosing two acres). The amount $312.76 was collected from individual subscriptions and proceeds of entertainments. Vaclav Kaspar donated the entrance, costing $50.00. Anton Kaspar, who with John Kaspar surveyed and staked out the first lots (16x16), made the first plan and plat. In 1903 the county surveyor surveyed the second acre into lots 12x16. In 1901 the first Decoration Day exercises were held, with Rev. John Pipal as speaker. In 1903 the second, with John Rosicky of Omaha as speaker and since that time they have been held annually, always with a visiting Czech speaker. In 1922 the sixth acre was bought for $400.00 and a cement walk, four feet wide, laid across the whole cemetery, at a cost of $925.00. The cemetery is situated on an elevation, so water is hard to get. Therefore a deep cistern was dug next to the chapel, which is 26x26, and sufficient water runs off the roof to provide enough for the summer's needs. This cost $500.00 and was defrayed by contributions from non-Catholic lodges. Evergreen trees, flowers and fine monuments, together with good care, make the cemetery a pretty spot.
Catholics bury in the Plasi Catholic cemetery, established 1887. Prior to that they buried in Jambor's field.
Three miles west of Prague is the Protestant cemetery, situated on a 40-acre farm owned by the Presbyterian church.
WAHOO:--Two miles from Wahoo is a Protestant cemetery on a 40-acre farm, owned by the Presbyterian church.
SEWARD COUNTY: BEE--Catholic cemetery belonging to the church.
SHERIDAN COUNTY:--A Bohemian National cemetery north of Rushville.
SHERMAN COUNTY:--A Bohemian National cemetery three miles north and three-fourths of a mile west of Ravenna, established in 1882, on John Horak's farm, by: Frank Fiala, Joseph Brezina, Paul Miller, Vaclav Novy, John and Frank Helebrant, Vaclav and Vincent Kuticka.
STANTON COUNTY:--Catholics use the cemetery in Colfax County, one mile distant from Howell.
VALLEY COUNTY:--A Catholic cemetery in Geranium (Netolice) Township, ten miles from Ord, established January 3, 1881, by: John W. Beran, Joseph Ptacnik, John Princ, Joseph Novotny, John Parkos, John Jarovsky, Vaclav Holoun, Jacob Kosmata, Kazimierz Rakovsky (a Pole), Michal Bauer (a Pole), Vaclav Studlar, Vojtech Hosek, Vaclav Mottl, John Valis, Joseph Novotny, Matej Fajman, Karel Cesak, Joseph Sestak, John Hefferman, Joseph Valasek, Vojtech Parkos and Frank Sajnost.
Bohemian National cemetery in Geranium Township, thirteen miles west of Ord, established in 1897 on land bought from Joseph Kosmata. The first officers were: Ignac Klima president, Joseph Kosmata secretary, and Karel Cernik treasurer.
A Protestant cemetery in Eureka Township, established April 11, 1889, about sixteen miles from Ord, by: Paul Zurek, John Sevcik, John Cech Sr., John Cech Jr., Francis Penaz, John Nedbalek, Joseph Rejda, Joseph Bartu, Karel Cernik, John Ceplecha.
Bohemian National cemetery on ten acres, a mile southwest of Ord. Established December 7, 1889, by members of Lodge Dennice No. 14, Bohemian Slavonian Benevolent Society (Now Western Bohemian Fraternal Association), which gave $150.00 to buy the site. On September 23, 1915, the Association decided to acquire a better location, therefore six acres of level land were bought one mile north of Ord, for $1,200.00, and all those interred were removed. John Beran was president from the beginning until his death in 1917, and Frank Misko secretary from the beginning until 1925. The following were members: John Beran, John Zabloudil, John Koupal, John Sevcik, John Vobornik, Fr. Misko, F. J. Dvorak, Frank Barta, Joseph Cerny, Joseph Slavicek, Anton Stars, V. H. Sestak, Vaclav Hvezda (Wizda).
Postoffice or Railroad Stations Bearing Czech Names
Bruno, Butler County. Named for capital of Moravia (Brno), inasmuch as many came from Moravia. The railroad company later changed the name to Bruno, as more pronounceable.
Butka, Rock County. Established by Frank J. Budka, who later moved to Boyd County; then to Montana, where he died.
Cloudy, Cuming County. Named for Frank Klojda, a prominent pioneer. Americans called him Cloudy.
Jelen, Knox County. Named for Anton Jelen, a pioneer.
Kowanda, Garden County. Established by a German of that name, which is of Czech origin.
Nimburg, Butler County. Named for Nymburk, a town in Bohemia. Established in 1887 on farms of V. Marusak and John Pavel.
Pishelville, Knox County. Named for Anton Pishel, a pioneer.
Plasi, Saunders County. Named for Plasy, a town in Bohemia.
Prague, Saunders County. Named for the capital city of Bohemia. (In Czech, Praha, in English, Prague.)
Praha, Colfax County. Established by John F. Sobota, a pioneer. Named for the capital city of Bohemia.
Sedlov, Valley County. Established by John Beran. Named for a city in Bohemia.
Shebesta, Rock County. Named for a Czech homesteader, Charles Shebesta. (Sebesta.)
Shestak, Saline County. Named for Vaclav Shestak (Sestak) a pioneer.
Trocnov, Buffalo County. Named for birthplace of the famous Hussite warrior John Zizka, when Lodge Zizkuv Palcat 125 C. S. P. S. was established. In a year or two changed to Nantasket.
Netolice, (Valley County), Loucky (Clay County), Tabor (Colfax County) and Tasov (Hayes County) are rural churches, not stations.
|Back||Table of Contents||Next|