received and in 1898 five more admitted, half of them being from other counties. Between 1899 and March 12, 1916, a few more candidates were admitted and professed. Father Paschal devoted much energy and time to the Third Order of St. Francis and received 16 members. Since then receptions and professions have been held rather regularly. The assistants, Rev. Fathers Athanase Steck, Erwin Huntscha and Edmund Patterson, labored zealously for the Third Order.
The Third Order of St. Francis under the spiritual direction of the Rev. Edmund Patterson now has 80 members. The present (1931) officers are: Brother Francis Laekers, Prefect; Sister Marie Phillips, Mistress of Novices; Sister Mary Krings, Secretary; Sr. Mary Bakey, Treasurer.
THE FRANCISCAN MISSIONARY UNION.
The Franciscan Missionary Union was organized by Rev. Fr. Athanase Steck, O. F. M., in November, 1923. It numbers about 70 members.
The members meet every third week of the month sand make quilts, etc., for Franciscan missions.
February 15, 1931, the members gave a dramatic entertainment for the reduction of the church indebtedness. It netted $130.00.
The monthly meetings are attended by sixty to eighty members. Some ladies are the hosts at a luncheon and the guests contribute ten cents or more for the purpose of the society.
ST. ANNE CHRISTIAN MOTHER'S AND ALTAR SOCIETY.
St. Anne's Altar Society, the oldest society of the parish, was organized in 1877, to furnish means to decorate the altar and church. Mrs. Mark Vogel, it is said, was instrumental in effecting the organization of this society. Twelve ladies composed the original membership. Among them were Mrs. Amalia Lachnit, Mrs. John Abts, old Mrs. Heitkemper, Mrs. Anton Heitkemper, Mrs. Henry Delsman and Mrs. Schmitz. Other early members were: Mrs. Liebig (Platte Center), Mrs. Margaret Dischner, Mrs. Geis, Mrs. Susan Thomas, Mrs. George Henggeller, Mrs. Larry Byrnes, Mrs. J. Browner, Mrs. Jennie Walker, Mrs. John Heitkemper, Mrs. George Heitkemper, Mrs. Herman Heitkemper, the first Mrs. Peter Dischner, Mrs. Wm. Schilz. Mrs. Robert Wagner was president for several years after 1884.
The society must have been very inactive, when Fr. Theobald became pastor. For he expressed his surprise to that while other societies were active; there was no Married Ladies' Society. When the married ladies heard of this, they met at Mrs. Pat Hart's home and laid plans for a large organization to surprise the pastor. Mrs. Herrod, Mrs. Henry Abts, and Mrs. Jennie Walker canvassed the homes and invited the ladies for the reception on Sunday, Father Theobald explained the aims and duties of the society and in April, 1904, St. Anne's Society numbered 65 to 67 members. Mrs. J. Herrod was elected president, Mrs. J. Gietzen, vice-president, and Mrs. Jennie Walker, secretary. Mrs. J. Herrod received a gold medal that had touched the relics of St. Anne at Beaupre, Canada. This was to be handed down from president to president. Alas, one of them lost the medal.
The society was quite active in church work and supplied the altars with linens, the altar boys with cassocks, etc., and frequently either donated or loaned money to the pastors. The officers in 1931 are: Mrs. John Ebel, president; Mrs. Joseph Zweier, vice-president; Mrs. M. A. Gumm, secretary; Mrs. Mary Hembd, treasurer.
THE YOUNG LADIES' SODALITY
The Young Ladies' Sodality must have been established in December, 1887. At first there were only twelve. Hence Father Pacific called them his "twelve apostles".
Members from December 8, 1887-December 8, 1888: Jennie Shanahan, Philomena Dischner, Sarah Fitzpatrick, Minnie McMahon, Anna Dischner, Ella Wells, Ella Quinn, Lizzie Abts, Maggie Schmitz, Katie Spanner, Katie McMahon, Mary Fitzpatrick, Lydia McMahon, Lizzie Sheehan, Agnes Fitzpatrick, Eva Schilz, Alice Quinn, Lizzie Gerber, Agnes High, Mary McGuire, Anna Geis, Mary Marky, Lizzie Hagus, Mamie Chestnut, Maggie Walker, Mary Orr, Bridget Higgins, Mary Murphy, Nelly O'Brien, Maggie O'Brien, Katie Browner, Ella Byrnes, Amalia Schramm, Mary Jonas, Katie Brenneis, Johanna Liebig, Mary Griffin, Lizzie Haney, Melia Scholz, Rose Haney, Agnes Keeting, Katie Higgins, Mary Lamb, Katie Hynes, Mary Kratke, Lizzie Dee, Anna S. Damphy, Kate Ryan, Mary Cooney, Nellie Browner, Emma Schlentz, Lena Ruick, Anna Griffin.
The sodality also procured a library to circulate among the members. The members labored zealously by socials, entertainments, etc., to aid the pastor financially. Among other things they paid $75 or more towards the Blessed Virgin altar; a similar sum for a sanctuary lamp, about the year 1893. On February 1, 1894, they paid $150 for an ostenaorium (monstrance). In 1901-1902 they furnished a room at St. Mary's Hospital and in 1904 they paid for the statues of St. Joseph and St. Anthony, for the basement. A scamnum or bench for priests and servers is also a gift of the Young Ladies' Sodality ($35.50).
The 1931 officers are: Miss Frances Bakey, president; Miss Doris Chambers, vice-president: Miss Chambers, secretary and treasurer. The roster shows about 40 members.
ST. JOSEPH'S YOUNG MEN'S SODALITY AT COLUMBUS
St. Joseph's Young Men's Sodality at Columbus was probably established about October, 1890. At least the oldest records we have found seem to point that way. The dues were paid beginning with November, 1890. Charter members were: Byrnes, J. C.; Borowiak, J. P.; Cox, J. T.; Heafy, T.; Borowiak, Leon; Dischner, E. J.; Longtin, T. J.; Schmitz, Christ; Van Well, Joseph; Macken, Pat I.; Haney, J. A.; Ryan, Joe J.; Gietzen, Leo; Longtin, Emery; Schiltz, Frank; Browner, W. F.; Curry, J. M.; Griffin, Mark; Dineen, W. F.; Abts, Arnold; Frischolz, Aloys; Griffin, John; Griffin, James; Dischner, Frank; Ruth, Frank; Dischner, T. N.; Abts, John; Browner, J.; Vogel, Anton; Belford, J. B.; Brady, Ad.; Banash, S.
A meeting was called to order, J. C. Byrnes, presiding. New members were admitted. The next question before the meeting was the choosing of a patron Saint. On motion of Mr. Cox, St. Joseph was unanimously chosen. By motion of Mr. J. T. Cox the motion was added that they go to communion the third Sunday of the month. By motion of Mr. Byrnes that the fees shall be 10 cents per month. It was moved and seconded that the meetings be held on the last Sunday of each month.
New members in 1891 were:
Higgins, Wm.; Wagner, Louis; Browner, I. C.; Thanus, M.; Magner, Aug.; Gerber, Fred; Heitkemper, A.; Gutzmer, Leo; Kramer, Math.
Mr. Browner was elected president; Mr. J. Curry, vice-president; Anton Vogel, treasurer, and J. P. Byrnes, secretary.
The Society also held one or the other debate, but seems after a few years, to have ceased to exist.
The Guardian Angel Society is mentioned already in 1878.
The Apostleship of Prayer was also introduced into the parish.
THE HOLY NAME SOCIETY
The Holy Name Society organized in the year 1923 has two divisions: the Senior and Junior division. The latter shows little life. The number of members is -----. Every second month there is a general Communion usually followed by breakfast in the basement hall.
The Society for the Propagation of the Faith was organized in 1931.
ST. BONAVENTURE'S CHOIR.
St. Bonaventure's Choir was for many years under the direction of the late lamented Sr. M. Agnes, O. S. F., who died during the Spanish flu in December, 1918. Since then the following Sisters have acted as organists: Ver. Sr. M. and Sr. M. Scholastica, who has been in charge since 1918.
Some of the singers are veteran singers; Mrs. Mary Phillips having been a faithful member for some twenty years.
FRATERNAL AND OTHER SOCIETIES
THE ANCIENT ORDER OF HIBERNIANS.
A branch of the Ancient Order of Hibernians was organized in the early seventies. Details we were unable to learn. The main feature of the social activity was the annual celebration of St. Patrick's day. They helped organize and took a prominent part in the grand Columbus Day (October 12, 1892) Celebration, in which they had a float. Mr. S. J. Ryan acted as marshal of that grand parade.
The Ancient Order of Hibernians was reorganized in June, 1892. The first initiation was held June 28, 1892. Twenty-six men from Platte Center were among these. They later transferred to the Second Division. Another initiation occurred in June, 1893. The names of forty-five Columbus men appear on the society roster. The officers of that year were: John C. Byrnes, co-president; Joseph F. Belford, division president; Wm. O'Brien, vice-president; James S. Haney, recording secretary and Adam Smith, sergeant-at-arms.
On St. Patrick's day speeches were delivered, the themes being as a rule: St. Patrick, Ireland and Knighthood. The A. O. H. also gave an annual ball on Thanksgiving day. The St. Patrick's day celebration was kept up till about twelve years ago and to some extent till about a year ago.
THE CATHOLIC KNIGHTS OF AMERICA.
The Catholic Knights of America were organized at Columbus in 1882. Messrs. Lambert Geis, Alois Geis, Wm. Schilz, Tony Heitkemper were among others received into the organization at that time and Joseph Henggeller in 1883. Mr. Anthony Heitkemper was elected president, followed later in this office by Theodore Moersen and Martin Speicher. Mr. J. W. Herrod came to Columbus from North Platte in 1889. When the K. C. organized twenty-six years ago, the membership of the C. K. of A. dwindled considerably, so that about twenty years ago the latter society brought their paraphernalia of initiation to Sr. M. Agnella, O. S. F. The banner had been given to some one in Omaha.
The C. K. of A. do no longer hold regular meetings.
The present 1931 officers are: Mr. Martin Speicher, president; Charles Carrig, vice-president; Mr. J. W. Herrod, financial secretary and treasurer, and John C. Byrnes, recording secretary.
The Knights of Columbus have a Council No. -- which has ------ members. It was organized in the year 1905 and in 1930 commemorated its twenty-fifth anniversary, on which occasion the Rt. Rev. J. F. Rummel, Bishop of Omaha, was the principal speaker.
Mr. J. Dougherty is at present Grand Knight.
THE CATHOLIC DAUGHTERS
COURT OF THE LITTLE FLOWER
The Catholic Daughters of America were organized January 31, 1926. Mrs. Catherine Ratterman, Mrs. Mary Elias and Mrs. Kathleen Dougherty were instrumental in organizing the local Court of the Little Flower No. 988. The first initiation took place January 31, 1926. Miss Ceal Foster, State Grand Regent, was in the chair and the York, Nebraska, degree team put on the work under the leadership of State Deputy Mrs. J. J. Kelly. The following officers were elected at this initiation: Mrs. C. Ratterman, grand regent; Mrs. Kathleen Dougherty, vice grand regent; Mrs. Lettie Burke, financial secretary; Miss K. Shea, historian; Mrs. C. Morrow, sentinel; Mrs. A. Snyder, prophetess; Mrs. G. Walters, monitor; Miss M. Curry, treasurer; Mrs. Lucy McPherson, organist. Trustees for the three years, Mrs. C. M. Herrod, Miss Nell Hayes; trustees for two years, Mrs. M. Elias and Mrs. K. Dougherty; trustees for one year, Mrs. M. Gerrard and Miss Viola Wass.
The ladies sew for St. James' Orphanage and annually give a ball for charity and this about Columbus' day.
The 1931 officers are: Mrs. Elizabeth Groteke, grand regent; Miss Helen Dineen, vice grand regent; Mrs. Margaret Miller, financial secretary; Mrs. Frances Tooley, historian; Miss Alice Shea, sentinel; Miss Mary Byrnes, prophetess; Mrs. Catherine Carter, lecturer; Mrs. E. Brannigan, monitor; Mrs. Carroll Sullivan, treasurer; Miss Marilla Wade, organist. The trustees are: Mrs. M. Sawyer, Miss Emma Sheridan, Mrs. Eileen C. McTaggert, Miss Margaret Hayes, Mrs. Frances Dressel and Mrs., Agnes O'Brien.
Ven. Bro. Casimir Sus, O. F. M.
Ven. Bros. Ildephonse Lethert, O.
F. M., and
THE BOY SCOUTS
St. Bonaventure's also has a troop of Boy Scouts organized probably in fall, 1920. The Knights of Columbus in council action voted some money for the troop and appointed Dr. F. W. Leonard to take charge as scoutmaster at Columbus.
Mr. Peter Laekers was scoutmaster for about three or four years when, however, he was made one of the District officers, a successor had to be appointed and Mr. Godfrey Schilz has had charge, assisted by Mr. Francis Dischner as assistant part of the time. The number of boys ranges from 20 to 25.
The number of Communions distributed during the year 1930 was 20,000 plus probably 4,000 more in the chapel.
ST. BONAVENTURE'S CHURCH
Solicitudine Tua pastorali in hanc Americae partem, quae spiritualiter subjecta est regimini et administrationi Episcopali Reverentiae tuae,
vocati, administramur nunc jam omnes districtus, qui vigenti leucos in circuitu oppidi Columbus in Nebraska a Germanis inhabitantur, sicuti Revendissima Paternitas Tua ante octo circiter menses per verba commendabat.
Sed cum in ipsa vicinitate istius gyri vigi ti leucorum nonnullae Germanicae congregationes inveniuntur, quorum inhabitantes nostrum desiderant servitium, Episcopalem Tuam Reverentiani imploramus, ut nobis has quoque congregationes administrandas committere digneris. Hae congregationes sunt sequentes:
1. Prope Madison oppidum, in comitatu Madison, maxime ex parte quinqe leucos ad occidentem versus.
2. Colonia sancti Bernardini, circa quindecim leucos occidentem versus ab oppido Madison, partim sita in comitatu Madison.
3. Congregationes Anglo-germanicae in oppido David City, in comitatu Butler.
4. Congregatio hollandica circiter 6 leucos meridiem versus a David City sita.
A tua clementia et benignitate, quam saepenumero nobis jamjam paterne ostendisti, accepturos nos esse confidimus, quod petimus nos Filii Tui humillimi in Christo.
Columbi, Nebr., die 15, Octobris, 1877.
(Below this petition, we find, in the handwriting of the Rt. Rev. Bishop:)
Curam animarum in supradictis locis patribus Ordinis Sancti Francisci Columbi degentihus, hisce praesentibus libenter assignamus.
Episcopus Omahensis, Admo Rev. P. Fr. Mauritio Klostermann, Praelato Provinciae Franciscanae, Americae
Septentrionalis nuncupatae sub titulo
Sanctissimi Cordis Jesu.
Charitas Christi quae, ex debito etiam Pastoralis Officii, Nos urget ad commissi Nobis gregis spiritualem profectum uberioribus mediis promovendum; urget simul ad antiquum grati animi nostri studium erga religiosos viros seraphiei Ordinis Sancti Francisce alumnos patefaciendum. Hac de causa, cum Ecclesia ad S. Bonaventuram. loci Columbus, Diocoesis Nostrae, eique contigua domus ad Nos pertinenent, et in publicis Tabulis Nostro nomine inscripta sint, Nos utramque Tibi et Confratribus Tuis hujus Provinciae Franciscanae Sanctissimi Cordis Jesu Americae Septentrionalis vestrisque successoribus Rmo P. Ministro Gli totius Ordinis Minorum subjects, libere ac libenter in Domino ad perpetuum usum juxta mentem Stae Regulae et Constitutionum SS.PP. Nicolai III. et Clementis V., vigore praesentium litterarum dimittimus ac concedimus; Ecclesiam videlicet ut administretur a Sacerdotibus praedicti Ordinis legitime ad id muneris a Te tuisque successoribus deputatis et a Nobis approbatis, cum omnibus privilegiis Ordinis Seraphici, et omnibus juribus quae competunt caeteris Pastoribus in hac Nostra Dioecesi animarum curam habentibus: Domum vero contiguuam, ut a Religiosis a Familia inibi constituta aut constituenda inhabitetur.
Volumus autem ut, si quando ob mundi vicissitudines contigerit Fratribus debere Ecclesiam et domum praedictas deserere, jus reservatuni sit Nobis, Nostrisque in hac Sede Episcopali Successoribus de ejusdem Ecclesia et Domo alter dsponendi, prout secundum Deum magis expedire visum fuerit.
In quorum omnium fidem has litteras Nostra manu subscripsimus ac sigillo Nostro Episcopali munivimus.
Datum Omaha, ex residentia Nostra Episcopali, die lma Augusti A. D. 1887
Jacobus O'Connor Ep. Omahensis
Concordantiam cum Originali teststur fr. Ferdinandus Bergmeyer
(Seal of S. Heart Province)
DESCRIPTION OF ST. JOHN'S CHURCH, COLUMBUS, NEBRASKA
(Adapted from Marie Kyle's, according to Description of Old Settlers).
The only picture of St. John's is found on two bird's-eye views of Columbus. One is by August Koch in 1874 and the other is the former enlarged by Mr. F. Gottschalk, Surveyor of Platte County, in 1880. The former hangs in the Platte County courthouse in the county treasurer's office. The picture does not quite agree with the descriptions of pioneers. The following is the description as given by pioneers who knew the church (Mrs. S. Brindley, Mrs. Melchior (Stenger) Brugger, Mrs. McTaggart, etc.). Miss Martha Turner, of the Nebraska State Historical Society, according to a drawing by Miss Marie Kyle, has sketched the original second Catholic church usually styled "Father Ryan's Church", but no one seemed to remember the exact shape of the belfry.
The property on which the first St. John's church, a log house, was erected by Mr. John Browner and others on the Eighth Street and between 17th and 18th Avenue, on the northeast corner of Block 133. The roof according to one pioneer lady, was at first covered with grass or straw, later on with siding or a kind of board. The door was in one side, the other side and the gables had one window each. Mr. L. Brynes and family later on lived in it. Mr. John Staub, Sr., now resides on the site.
The property on which the new St. John's church was erected, was acquired on August 15th, 1862, and in 1863. The one deed donated lots 5, 6, 7 and 8 in Block 133 at Columbus, Nebraska, to the Rt. Rev. James O'Connor, D. D., Vicar Apostolic of Nebraska. This donation was by Mr. John P. Becker for the consideration of $1.00 and Mr. Vincent Kummer deeded lots 1 and 2 in Block 133, the consideration too, being $1.00. Additional property was acquired on April 10, 1863, when John Davis, for the consideration of $25 deeded over lots 3 and 4 of Block 133 to the Rt. Rev. Ordinary James M. O'Gorman of the Apostolic Vicariate of Nebraska. Thus the entire block was secured for church purposes.
When and by whom the second St. John's Church, built of cottonwood lumber, was erected, what its dimensions were, the old pioneers seem not to know. The names of the workmen, according to Messrs. Mark Burke and Wilson, were old Mr. Wilson and J. C. Wolfel, who helped to build the first (or second) Catholic Church in Columbus. There probably is an error here, as the second or frame church (Fr. Ryan's church) is thought by most people to have been the first Catholic church in Columbus, whereas the first St. John's on the northeast corner of Eighth Street, was a log church, while the second church, on Ninth street served by Fr. Ryan, was originally a frame church, which was enlarged and brick-veneered by him.
There appeared an article in the Columbus Telegram in the beginning of November, 1907, announcing the death in Omaha the second Wednesday before of a Rev. Welch who as old pioners (sic) remembered, had built the first Catholic Church in Columbus. This seems to be a mistake as the priest that died then was the Rev. Wm. Kelly, "the Patriarch Priest of Nebraska," who had been pastor at Columbus 1863-1864, and whom old reports point to as the builder of the second St. John's Church.
THE SECOND CATHOLIC CHURCH (FATHER RYAN'S CHURCH)
The second Catholic Church in Columbus occupied the southwest of Block 133 on 9th Street between Grover (13th Avenue) and Fulton Street. The third lot (east of the church) was occupied by the small parsonage of Fr. Ryan, as is shown on the etching of the second church on page 226. The church at first had only two or three windows on either side. The door and belfry were on the south and the space beyond the windows on the north was proportionately larger, to leave space for the sanctuary and the altar. There were only a few pews. When Mr. Wm. Schilz asked Fr. Ryan to put in more pews, he was told: "You put them in."
The steeple held a bell embossed with a figure of Mary Immaculate which bell, we are told, still calls the pupils of St. Bonaventure's school to their classes. It is claimed that the pews and the altar of this second St. John's Church were installed in St. Bonaventure's winter chapel. However, the account books of St. Bonaventure's church show that a new altar was purchased for the winter chapel; so it is doubtful where the altar of old St. John's is reposing. Later on the pews from St. John's were put in St. Joseph's Chapel, we are told.
The stove was in the rear of St. John's church and the pipe went through the whole building, ending in the chimney back of the altar. In 1881, Rev. Ryan enlarged the whole church and covered it with a veneer of brick.
When St. John's church was discontinued in the winter of 1891-1892, and the congregation joined St. Bonaventure's, the former parishioners circulated a petition to sell the church property and turn the money over to Rev. Pacificus Kohnen, O. F. M., for the purpose of defraying the expenses incurred by erecting an addition of about 42 feet to the original brick church at St. Bonaventure's.
Mr. Fred Steger purchased the old St. John's property for the consideration of $1,600 and used the material from the church, in part, at least, to erect a large barn, which can still be seen at the east end of Pawnee Park, near the bathing pool. An examination of the old barn reveals that some of the windows of the old church are still in the building, as is also the original cottonwood lumber, save a few inches from the top of the frame work; a few windows, too, have been closed up with pine lumber.
CENTRAL CITY, NEBRASKA
The history of the Catholic Church in Central City, Nebraska, coincides largely with the history of Merrick county. Lone Tree the original name of Central City, is a famous landmark between the Atlantic and Pacific oceans, as in fact it stands near the geographical center of the United States. The settlement of Merrick county began about ten years previous to the construction of the Union Pacific railroad, and the first station here was called "Lone Tree Station." The first Catholics settled around Central City about the time the railroad was built thus far. The first section foremen were four Catholics, John Donovan, R. H. Kombrink, Thomas Kelly and John Higgins. Kombrink was the last to hold that position. J. Donovan and Luke Lamb were about the first Catholics to arrive and were soon followed by Michael Tobin, who met death at the hands of
the Indians. About the same time, Michael Duffin, John Farrell and a few others settled in "Lone Tree."
The first Mass was celebrated at the Kombrink section house in 1870. Those attending the first Mass were: Michael Tobin, John Byrnes, Mrs. M. L. Wright, Mrs. Vaughan and daughter, Mrs. Whittaker, Thomas Kelly, R. H. Kombrink, and their families. Michael Duffin and Stephen Heaton. Father Ryan was the celebrant of the Mass and came from Columbus for the occasion. Henry Heaton came later from Canada in 1871 and next came Addison Stone--True Voice.
THE SITE OF THE LOG CHURCH
In June, 1878, Bishop J. O'Connor granted Rev. Ambrose a Warranty Deed for the consideration of $1.00 for lot No. 1 in Block 168 (the site of the first log church in 1860), now the property of John Staub, Sr. Attested July 19, 1878, in presence of Isaac Edwards of Douglas county, Nebraska. A duplicate except that it uses the name of P. Ambrose instead of "The Franciscan Brotherhood of Nebraska" is signed August 27, 1880, and attested by James O'Connor and a Justice of the Peace. F. M. Stenger).
REV. J. M. RYAN'S RESIDENCE
The parsonage of Rev. J. M. Ryan was a small distance to the east of the church. It was of wood and rested on a few blocks and with about three steps leading up to it. It was probably one and a half stories in height. People often wondered how Fr. Ryan could keep warm in such a building, it being without a solid foundation. There were two rooms downstairs and two upstairs, with a lean-to kitchen. (Mr. Stenger).
CHURCH AND SCHOOL PROPERTY
Frederick and Margaret Gottschalk for the consideration of $1.00 turned over to the Franciscan Brotherhood, Block 11 (really two blocks, 9 20/100 chains) Block 10 (School, 4 30/100) and Block 9 (vacant block west of school) 80 feet north of corner of south block 41 east (42) 43 and 44 resp. west, Chambers Addition, on August 19, 1880, by E. N. North, Franz and Magdalene Hengeller to Franciscan Brotherhood of Nebraska, October 28, 1882. Peter Schmitz and wife Maria Anna Schmitz and Mary Bremer Admin. of estate of Charles Bremer October 27, 1882.
Book M. of Deeds p. 466: Lots No. 7 and 8 in Block 145, Columbus, probably site of temporary frame church or old public school sold 1874 to the Catholic Germans and Poles, John Stauffer, County Clerk 15.
Ordinance passed March 17, 1919, consideration $1.00 conveys to St. Bonaventure's east end of 14th Street located between out lots 29 and 30 for use as a cemetery at the regular council meeting held April 2, 1920, resolved on, introduced by the mayor and 3% of the city council of Columbus agreeing to convey.
C. J. Carrig, Mayor.
Carl and Freda Doescher May 31, 1916, gave a warranty deed for out lot 29, except 80 feet on the north conveyed to the city of Columbus as a street. Consideration $4,000; $2,000 cash and $2,000 on or before March 1, 1917, to St. Bonaventure Church, represented by J. C. Byrnes and J. W. Herrod. Recorded in Book L. Mec. Rec. p 567. Recorded June 14, 1916, Jerry Carrig, register of deeds.
Bishop H. Scannell's warranty deed to Fred Stenger all block 133 in Columbus on record plat Signed February 1, 1897. consid. $1,600.
Addition to the town of Columbus, Platte County, Nebraska, Notary Seal attested by Gus M. Becher, Notary Public.
Already on July, 1885, Robert H. Henry, Mayor of Columbus, had deeded over to St. Bonaventure's church Lots 7 and 8 of Block 145, Columbus, on southeast corner or 8th Street and it seems Grover Street. Cavid Dowdy, City Clerk.
This deed was recorded August 25, 1885, in the Book of Deeds H. at page 607. Attested John Stauffer, Clerk, Platte County, Nebr.
The trustees of St. Bonaventure's parish are: Dr. F. H. Morrow and Fred Gerber.
The congregation has been handicapped in comparison with other Franciscan parishes by having to contend from the start with two, and later, three nationalities and a more floating population than the rural parishes, though St. Bonaventure also counts a hundred farmers among its parishioners. Then there are a number of retired people. The church was built at the northeast of Columbus and the city developed in a western direction owing to several circumstances. For thirty-two years the pastors had little to say about the school, it being run as an academy and some pastors took less interest than they otherwise would have done. The change effected by Fr. Charles has proved beneficial in some respects, but is also a heavy financial drain on the parish exchequer. While for many years the parish paid for only one teacher $33 or two $66.66 per year, it must now pay for the whole teaching staff. It is the school and not the church that drains the income of the parish.