NEGenWeb Project Resource Center
1890 Gazetteer - Banner County

Nebraska State Gazetteer,
Business Directory and Farmers List
for 1890-1891


Business (town) listings

Ashford  Banner  Clyde  Freeport  Harrisburg  Hull  Livingston  Loraine


page 56

   Ashford, a rural postoffice in the northern part of Banner county, on Pumpkin Seed creek. Population, 30.

Anderson & Anderson, genl mdse.
Enderly Bros, genl mdse, hardware.
Dooley Lydia Miss, dressmaker.
Reed F P, flour mill.
Snook J G, justice.
Thurston Fred, blacksmith.   SIZE=1 WIDTH="25%" NOSHADE>

page 65

  Banner, a pleasantly located village in the central part of Banner county.

page 118

   Clyde, a rural postoffice in the western part of Banner county.

Sowman Wm, postmaster, notary.

page 166

   Freeport, a postoffice in the eastern part of Banner county, 50 miles from Sidney, the county seat. Population, 75.


page 213

   Harrisburg is the county seat of Banner county recently established. It has at present a population of 300 and is rapidly growing. The town site is owned by Schooley & Fisher, who established the place. The nearest railroad station is Kimball on the U. P. Ry., 25 miles distant and connected by daily stages. There are four other stage routes from Harrisburg, two to Gering, one via Banner and via Ashford, distance 25 miles, one to Freeport 18 miles, and one to Clyde nine miles. The Banner stage route to Gering also goes to Hull and Tompson, total distance 68 miles. The town is rapidly being settled by an energetic class of merchants, and bids fair to become a substantial city in the near future. There are two newspaper published here, the Early Day and the Journal, which have a good circulation.

Anderson A H, harnessmaker, livery.
Banner County Bank, C J Carlisle prop.
Black John C, atty.
Clason Peter, contractor, builder.
Cowen E M, editor and pub The Early Day, atty.
Dummer Henry, jewelry.
Dunlavy A H, county atty, notary.
Early Day (The), E M Cowen editor and pub.
Eckerson E & I Misses, millinery.
Enderly Bros, drugs, genl mdse.
Fisher Julius, meat market.
Fisher S A, justice.
Fletcher H S, phys.
Graves H L, agl implts.
Johnson W H, pool, billiards, justice.
Journal (The), A S Snyder editor and pub.
McCandless W J, atty.
Moffit C M, hardware.
Myres Wm, grain, live stock.
Ogden House, H R Stevens, prop.
Randall C H, postmaster.
Renfrew Lw, real estate.
Savage John, shoemaker.
Schooley & Fisher, props town site, real estate, loans, ins, taxes paid for non-residents.
Schooley & Wilcox, livery.
Snook A H, jewelry.
Snyder A S, editor, The Journal.
Snyder M, blacksmith.
Stevens H R, prop, Ogden House.
Wildman Mrs, bakery, confectionery.
Wolf Charles, restaurant.
Woolridge & doughtery, genl mdse, flour and feed.

page 234

   Hull, a postoffice in the northwestern part of Banner county.

Cleveland, Z V, justice.
Hull A B, genl mdse, postmaster.
Spead B, blacksmith. 

page 278

   Livingston, a postoffice in the northeastern part of Banner county.

page 280

   Loraine, a newly established post office in the southern part of Banner county. Population, 25.

Downer W R, blacksmith.
Keith J A, justice.
McKee W S, postmaster.

Visit the Banner County, Nebraska website.
Please use your "BACK" button to return to previously visited page.

   Other resources   Directory

© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project, HB Young, W&N Wever, T&C Miller