NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library
Brownell Hall


and died only a few weeks after their marriage, February 28th. After her burial in Nebraska City, Mr. Hagar continued his labors at the Hall faithfully until the end of the year, and presented the first class for confirmation, consisting of Miss Ophelia Taylor, Miss Elizabeth May Davis and Miss Elizabeth Stiliman Arnold.

In September, 1864, the Bishop secured the services of Rev. Samuel Hermann of Hartford, Conn., who remained until February, 1869.

In 1867 Mr. Hermann started a branch school for day pupils, first in the old State House, but as soon as the building was ready, moved it to Dodge Street between 14th and 15th, then "250 Dodge Street." The reports and records of this branch were all kept separately and it was discontinued when the new building was opened.

In all this time Miss Gillmore stands preeminent as a teacher, and in that first year, when the Rector resigned, and the matron died, the school would undoubtedly have been obliged to close its doors but for her.

Mr. Hermann had high ideals for woman's education, and made Latin and either French or German requirements for graduation. So firmly was this rule enforced that Mrs. Hattie Dakin MacMurphy, who was in the first Senior Class, was not allowed her diploma, because she was half a year short in Latin. He installed a course of study which is even now a college prepara-




tory course. All this before there were any colleges for women, save Vassar only, which was just starting and had not yet graduated its first class. Mr. Hermann was much interested in Chemistry and Natural Philosophy, and brought to Brownell Hall and Omaha the first demonstration of the power of Electricity. A favorite amusement at the Friday evening "Socials" was showing "the spark" and arranging guests in a ring and giving all a "shock." Miss Catherine Wolfe of New York gave an excellent working Library of 1000 volumes. Music, both vocal and piano, were taught from the first.

From Mr. Hermann's advent in September, 1864, there follow four years of faithful work, and the first class was graduated July 10, 1868. There were two in this class, Mrs. Helen Ingalls Drake and Mrs. Helen Hoyt Burr, two as noble women as ever graced Nebraska's soil. We bow our heads in respect and veneration to their ability and many Christian virtues.

At the close of this year Miss Gillmore resigned, but she had carried her entering class clear through to graduation, and this "First Commencement in Nebraska" must have been a proud day in her life.

The following is the Omaha Herald's account of the First Commencement in Nebraska, July 10, 1868, which completes the "Pioneer Period."



"A large concourse of our citizens, parents and friends of pupils attended the closing exercises of the session of this popular educational institute on last Friday. The proceedings opened with a prayer, after which the opening chorus was rendered with a very harmonious and pleasing effect by the young ladies of the seminary. Next was a duet polka by the Misses Nellie Clarkson [now Mrs. Fred Davis] and Morton.

"Music, Mazurka, by Miss Libbie Poppleton [now Mrs. Shannon].

"Song, 'Something Sweet to Tell You,' by little Jennie Morrison.

"Music, 'Andes,' Miss Helen Ingalls [later Mrs. Drake].

"Reading of the Chimes by Miss Penfield, editress.

"Music, 'Fra Diavola,' quartet, Misses Ingalls, Jordan, Poppleton and White.

"Reading reports and awarding of prizes.

"The first prize, consisting of $30, was awarded to Miss Helen M. Ingalls, who attained the highest rank in scholarship. Her rival contestant for the prize was Miss Helen Hoyt, whose scholarship being but a fraction inferior to that of Miss Ingalls, the latter, with an elevated Christian dignity and appreciation of the merits of her schoolmate, requested the rector to divide the prize with her schoolmate and graduate, which was done in a few happy and appropriate remarks by the rector.

"Miss Ingalls then read the "Valedictory of the Class of 1868."



(A model composition which lack of space alone prevents reproducing here.)

"Second prize--The Clarkson gold medal, established in 1867--was awarded to Miss Anna Barkalow, who attained the highest rank in attendance and deportment. After the award of premiums, Miss Minnie Jordan (now Mrs. Nathan Shelton), favored the audience with the beautiful ballad, 'The Lost Smile.'

"Song and duet, 'In the Star Light,' by the young Misses Poppleton and Sears.

"Music, quartet, by Misses Jordan, Ingalls and Clarkson.

"Bishop Clarkson then addressed the pupils in a few brief but appropriate remarks, which were listened to with great interest by every one present. The closing chorus was then rendered, and a closing prayer, after which those in attendance dispersed highly pleased with the day's proceedings, and congratulating Professor Hermann on the rapid progress made by the pupils under his charge."



To our schoolmate, Mrs. Harriet Dakin MacMurphy, who was a member of the first Senior Class, we are deeply indebted for the following account of "The Chimes." We insert it in full because her account as a contributor, and the series of articles from the very pupils themselves, give us a view of the school life at the Hall which can be obtained in no other way. These articles were copied from "The Chimes" which are in the custody of the Principal of Brownell Hall.--F. M. P.


"One pleasant feature of those years, and among the first to which old pupils refer was the publication of "The Chimes," the school paper, which appeared every two weeks.

Rev. George C. Betts assisted in the preparation of the title page of "The Chimes" and produced some really artistic work. One of the first numbers has a sketch of a belfry, grim and old, surmounted by a cross, the swallows circling and skimming about it. The words "Chimes from the" in fancy letters above the picture of the belfry completes the title. The title pages, except in this and one other instance, have simply the name "The Chimes." The other instance has rose sprays gracefully grouped about Chimes from the Belle-fry (spelled B-e-l-l-e F-r-y.) This title page, if I mistake not, was the work of Miss Hattie Wiley, whose name appears as one of the editresses. Two of the young ladies (sometimes only one), taking this office for each number. Miss Gillmore being Editor-in-Chief.

The first, or editorial page of the first volume was always headed "Chimes from the Bellefry." Subsequent volumes abbreviated to "The Chimes." Some of the signatures affixed to the ambitious effusions of these Belle-fry, (chosen at random) are "Little Bell, Betsey Jane McCracken, Norah O'Flannigan, Bridget Maloney

Prior page
Next page
© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietch, Ted & Carole Miller