RT. REV. GEORGE WORTHINGTON, S. T. D., LL. D.
DR. DOHERTY'S INCUMBENCY.
In April, 1875, the latter part of Mrs. Hall's fourth year, Rev. Robert H. Doherty was engaged as Chaplain and teacher of Sciences. Thus began a connection which lasted twenty-two years.
In 1876 Mrs. Hall resigned, and Dr. Doherty was made Rector of the school. Mrs. S. H. Windsor, who had been matron under Mrs. Hall, continued her services under Dr. Doherty, first as matron, then as "Head of the House," and later still as "Lady Principal." Side by side they worked for the interests of the Hall until 1897, when, after a period of hard times, Dr. Doherty resigned and the school, was closed one year.
As House Mother, Mrs. Windsor labored unceasingly, conscientiously and prayerfully for the welfare of the school family, and the general good health and material success was in large measure due to her care and good management.
Dr. Doherty married Mrs. Windsor's daughter, Miss Emma Windsor, and she, too, not only taught a few classes, but contributed much to the happiness and social life of the school. Dr. Doherty was much beloved, and his memory will ever be revered by all who studied under him. The following pictures represent him as be
REV. ROBT. HERMON DOHERTY, D. D., S. T. D.
lived "in the midst of a happy circle of young students."
To his family he was a most affectionate and devoted husband and father; to his pupils he was a beloved teacher and friend; to his teachers a considerate and appreciative head, and to his brother clergy and other friends a faithful co-worker and genial companion. He is remembered gratefully and lovingly not only by his pupils, but by many small parishes and missions out in the Diocese where he very frequently officiated.
Although Dr. Doherty had built on an addition, in the early '80s the building at 16th and Jones became entirely inadequate to the demands, and a new building and new location were proposed. One piece of ground was actually given by Mr. Woolworth and accepted by the Board, but the action was reconsidered and the offer declined. Another piece offered by Mr. Patrick was declined, and much time was spent in considering other locations. The present site on South Tenth Street was at first declined, then in 1884 Bishop Olarkson died and the matter was necessarily postponed until the new Bishop was consecrated. Soon after the arrival of Bishop Worthington, Mr. Kountze was asked to renew his offer, which he did, and the offer was now accepted.
Bishop Worthington, like his predecessor, considered his church school an indispensable factor in the growth and development of his
MRS. S. H. WINDSOR
DR. DOHERTY AND GROUP OF TEACHERS AND STUDENTS
© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietch, Ted & Carole Miller