about two hundred and forty acres of land. He is a young man of sterling qualities, ambitious and is becoming one of the prosperous and successful men in his locality. Carl, the other son, also has a fine home and farm, and with his wife, (who was Marie Westergard, they being married September 1, 1908,) occupies a prominent place in the social life of their community, both being agreeable and pleasant young people.
The Fredericksen family have always been known as among the leading settlers here and well deserve their present prosperity.
Samuel McClellan, who resides in section twenty-six, township eighteen, range thirteen, Valley county, Nebraska, is an old settler of eastern Nebraska, having come here some thirty years ago, and is well known throughout his community, where he is highly esteemed and venerated. Mr. McClellan has done much toward the making of Nebraska history, and has always stood for the best interests for his home state and county.
Samuel McClellan was born in St. Joe county, Michigan, April 5, 1838, and was sixth in the family of Thomas and Mary (Wilson) McClellan, who had seven sons and four daughters. The McClellan family left Michigan, going to Noble county, Indiana, in 1840, then going to what is now Greenlake county, Wisconsin, in June of 1847. Mr. McClellan was a farm boy, and received the usual schooling, and went out in life for himself in 1861.
Mr. McClellan was married to Miss Mary A. Dewey at Berlin, Wisconsin, February 14, 1861. Mrs. McClellan a daughter of Daniel L. and Orange (Wadsworth) Dewey, is a native of New York, in which state, and in Massachusetts, her early years were spent. The family came to Wisconsin in March, 1856. The Deweys are descendants of Thomas Dewey, one of the first settlers of the New England states; Commodore Dewey is a descendant of the same family.
Mr. and Mrs. McClellan have had five children, four of whom are now living, namely: Merrill E., who resides on the home farm; Henry T., also resides on the home farm; Fannie M., and Clifton W., is married and living in Valley county, two miles north of the home place; Avvo O., the eldest child of Mr.and Mrs. McClelland, who is now deceased, was united in marriage to Mr. Frank M. Larkin.
Mr. and Mrs. McClellan now have three grandchildren, namely: Fred S. Larkin, who married Belva Barr and has one son, Fred S., junior; Fannie V. Larkin, now the wife of O. M. Campbell they having one daughter, Mildred Marie; and Homer F. Larkin, all residents of Nebraska.
Mr. and Mrs. McClellan started out in life for themselves in Greenlake county, Wisconsin, where Mr. McClellan engaged in farming, and stock raising and here they lived on a two hundred and forty-acre farm of their own until February of 1880, coming at that time to Clay county, Nebraska where Mr. and Mrs. McClellan purchased a quarter section and leased two hundred and forty acres of school land. Here they lived until August of 1885, when they came to Valley county, Nebraska, purchasing four hundred and eighty acres of land in the south half of section twenty-seven and the southwest quarter of section twenty-six, township eighteen, range thirteen, and this has remained the home farm until this date. There are eight hundred and forty acres of land now owned by the McClellan family.
Mr. McClellan is engaged in farming, and since 1865, he and his sons have given considerable attention to Shorthorn cattle and Poland China swine. A fine five-acre orchard is one of the best features of the home place, and irrigation is successfully practiced here through a superior water system.
Mr. McClellan and his sons are closely identified with the political and business life of central Nebraska; Merrill E. McClellan being the nominee of the republican party for the state legislature in the fail of 1910, and he was elected by a large majority.
Mr. McClellan and his sons are closely identimore [sic] prominent families along educational and social lines; they have a commodious and substantial home just outside the limits of North Loup village to the west, built in 1886; it is supplied with running water, and lighted by gas. While living in Clay county they occupied for a time a sod house, and suffered, as did other pioneers, from a pest of sand fleas; these were dispersed by the use of salt and until rid of them, the children suffered intensely, being unable to sleep or rest.
Mr. McClellan was about eighty rods from the house on his way home from town when the blizzard of January 12, 1888, struck him, and it was necessary to hold his hands over his face in order to breathe. In 1894, the dry year, little was raised; on one hundred and forty acres planted to corn, there was but about two-thirds of a bushel of nubbins gathered, but a fifteen-acre field of wheat produced fifteen bushels to the acre.
LEANDER M. BEST.
The gentleman above mentioned is counted among the oldest settlers of Madison county, Nebraska, and since locating here in the early seventies, has taken a foremost part in the development of his region and incidentally has built up a good home and farm in section twenty-one, township twenty-four, range two, where he resides, and is surrounded by a host of good friends and many acquaintances, highly esteemed by all who know him.
Mr. Best is a native of Madison county, Indiana, where his birth occurred October 1, 1848. He is a son of John and Mary (Ricker) Best, who were natives of Ohio. Mr. Best, with his parents, came to Clayton county, Iowa, in 1850, where they remained seventeen years. In 1867 they came to Mad-
ison county, Nebraska, coming overland from Iowa by ox team. After arriving at their destination, the father took up a homestead claim in section twenty-four, township twenty-four, range two.
In 1869 Mr. Best, our subject, took up the homestead where he now lives, on which he first built a frame house; Wisner, forty miles away, was then the nearest market place, the journey there and back consuming two days.
Deer and antelope were plentiful in those first days on the western frontier, and frequently could be seen in herds grazing on the open prairies, and there were many dangers and hardships to be encountered. During the first few years of settlement, the grasshopper pests were the greatest source of anxiety to the farmer, and for four years after our subject came here they destroyed every spear of green to be found anywhere around, leaving nothing but the short stubble of what had been thriving and promising crops; prairie fires also played their part as a menace to progress in early history, and many times our subject and his family were compelled to fight the rolling walls of flames to save their lives, homes, and grain.
The last year of fatalities to crops in this portion of the country was 1894 and in that year our subject lost his entire harvest by the hot winds that were a result of the terrible drought that destroyed all vegetation for that season. But those experiences have passed to history and prosperity and plenty reign in the land.
Mr. Best was united in marriage March 18, 1876, to Miss Belle Wolf, a native of Iowa, and daughter of Louis and Rebecca (Walker) Wolf.
Mr. and Mrs. Best are the parents of five children, namely: Clyde, Roy, Mabel, Harry and Reno.
Mr. Best now owns three hundred and twenty acres of fine improved land on which he has a beautiful home, an orchard and a large tract of forest trees. He is a member of the Church of Christ, Scientist, and an independent voter.
AUGUST F. HUWALDT.
August F. Huwaldt, a prominent farmer and stockman residing on section thirty-six, township twenty-eight, range one Pierce county, is known throughout that section of Nebraska as a progressive and successful agriculturist, and is highly esteemed by all with whom he has had to do.
Mr. Huwaldt is a native of the village of Passade, Holstein province, Germany, then a dependency of Denmark, August 2, 1853. He is a son of John Huwaldt, who was born in 1813, and came to the United States in the fall of 1870; he died at the age of seventy six years. The mother, Lena (Gropper) Huwaldt who was born in 1821, lived to the advanced age of eighty-five years. Our subject grew up in his native land, and in the spring of 1870, left home for the new world, setting sail from Hamburg, Germany.
After landing in New York, he came west to Davenport and lived there and in Scott county, Iowa, until 1877. In that year he bought eighty acres in Stanton county, Nebraska, where he remained two years, and then located in Pierce county, where he took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in the northeast quarter of section two, township twenty-seven, range one.
Here he succeeded in developing a good farm, known as the Hereford Stock Farm, engaging in mixed farming and stock raising. He increased his holdings from time to time, until he accumulated nine hundred and sixty acres of land in the vicinity of the old home farm. This he sold to August Huwaldt, junior, who is emulating his father's successful career. There is a grove of fifteen acres on this place, which furnished lumber for the new dwelling and barns, besides other buildings on the farms. Half of his land is under cultivation, and splendid crops of corn, oats and wheat are raised.
On the old place there is a fine lake, well stocked with fish, and all the farms are equipped with a plentiful supply of good water for stock and family. Good buildings are to be found on all the tenant farms and all are under most excellent cultivation. His new residence, ''Locust Villa," on section thirty-six, just north of the old home place, is one of the most elegant and best equipped in northeastern Nebraska. Erected in 1908, on a hill commanding a broad view in nearly every direction, it is as elegantly furnished as most city homes, heated by steam, lighted by acetylene gas.
The bath room is supplied with hot and cold water, and running water is installed in all the outbuildings and barns. A large carriage house and garage, house their vehicles and motor car, which they enjoy to the fullest extent. Groves, principally of locust, have been planted around the place, and an orchard of about an acre in extent will soon supply them an abundance of fruit. A fine engraving of "Locust Villa,'' the old home farm, and all the tenant places will be found on another page of this work.
Since locating here, Mr. Huwaldt has been successful every year, suffering small losses where others at times have lost all. While in Stanton county however, the grasshoppers took his crops two seasons, those being the years every one suffered hard times.
Mr. Huwaldt was first married to Miss Christina Peterson, a native of Davenport, and daughter of Hans J. Peterson. Six children were born to them: John, who is married to Miss Anna Drew, they having one child; Minnie; Hattie, wife of John Volk; Augustus, junior, married Sophia Volk; George Edward, graduate of University of Nebraska. class of 1913, and Charles.
Mr. Huwaldt was married a second time, January 16, 1896, to Miss Minnie Gopper, a native of Holstein, daughter of John and Henrietta Gopper, and to this union four children have been born: Walter, Lena, Fern and Arthur. All the children that are of age are farming, and doing well.
Mr. Huwaldt is a member of the Masonic lodge
of Randolph, and the Ancient Order of United Workmen and Modern Woodmen of America, as well.
"Locust Villa," Residence of August F. Huwaldt.
LEWIS J. PFREHM.
The Pfrehms are one of the early families of Custer county and have taken an active part in the development of the region, being prominent in many circles. Lewis J. Pfrehm, of this well-known family, was born in Petersburg, Illinois, March 11, 1858, third in order of birth of the twelve children of John A. and Mary Catherine (Swiegart) Pfrehm. He was reared on a farm in his native state, receiving a common school education, and later engaged in farming. In 1883 he joined his parents, who had located in Custer county in 1879, and himself took a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres of land on section six, township twenty, range nineteen, where he lived a number of years.
On February 12, 1885, Mr. Pfrehm was united in marriage with Miss Anna J. Wilke, a native of Indiana, who came to Lancaster county with her sister in 1872. She is a daughter of August and Louisa (Goedeker) Wilke, the former born in Germany and the latter of German descent. Mr. Wilke came to America as a young man and died in Saline county, Nebraska, his wife dying in Crete. Mrs. Pfrehm has a brother, Henry, living in Custer county, two sisters in Crete and two in California. Five children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Pfrehm: Roley H., at home; Viola M., died at the age of eight years; Ralph, died at the age of seven years; Velma, at home; Ramah, died at the age of seven years. Mr. Pfrehm helped to organize school district number one hundred and ninety-eight, and served several years as director of same.
In 1905 Mr. Pfrehm retired from farm life and moved to Sargent, where he erected a fine modern residence. He now conducts a feed, flour and seed store, being a successful and enterprising merchant. The family is well known in social circles and is representative of the best interests of the county and state. Mr. Pfrehm is highly regarded as a citizen and stands well in business circles.
F. A. MARKS.
Prominent among Cedar county's old settlers and shrewd business men we mention F. A. Marks, who since the fall of 1871 has made this region his home.
Mr. Marks was born in the city of Berlin, Germany, on October 13, 1859. He is a son of Charles and Catherine Marks, who were farmers in the old country up to 1867, when the entire family disposed of their property there and embarked on an emigrant ship for America, landing in New York City in the fall of that year.
The Marks family settled in Iowa, where the father farmed for a number of years, and in 1871 our subject came into Cedar county, Nebraska, where he filed on a homestead, and after erecting a small frame house built of cotton-wood lumber started to improve his claim. He put up a few necessary sheds, and with a very small start in the way of money or goods, went to work with a will working on his own land part of the time, and whenever possible, doing other work to be found in the vicinity in order to eke out a living and save something.
During the first six or seven years, Mr. Mark was obliged to travel a distance of sixty miles to Yankton and Vermillion, South Dakota, to obtain the necessary articles of food, clothing, etc., making the trip by wagon team, and meeting with considerable hardship in the way of rough weather and dangers from Indians, which made it a ardous [sic] journey for the lonely traveler at any time.
The first few years that Mr. Marks spent on his homestead were hard ones for him, as nearly everything he planted was destroyed by the swarms of grasshoppers which came in clouds through the region, taking all the green things which grew.
Another menace to life and property were the prairie fires which swept the plains frequently, and often the settlers were obliged to fight the flames for days together in order to save their homes from destruction.
Mr. Marks now occupies a finely-developed farm in section four, township thirty, range three, east, and engages in mixed farming and stock raising.
He has a handsome dwelling, also other good farm buildings, and is known as one of the prosperous and successful men of his locality.
In 1888 Mr. Marks married Miss Anna Fogel, who is a daughter of Fred Fogel, and to them have been born the following children: Charles, Harry, Mary, and Arthur.
To the early settlers of eastern Nebraska, and especially Merrick county, the name of Abram Colborn is well known. He was for many years prior, to his death a leading farmer and prosperous citizen, and his sons and their families still reside in this locality and are well and favorably known, throughout the community.
Mr. Colborn was a native of New York state, born December 18, 1825, and became a resident of Canada in his early years. He was married to Miss Mary Comfort in Canada, December 27, 1849. Miss Comfort was a native of Canada. Eleven children were born to this union, seven sons and four daughters, three being born in Canada, the eldest dying in infancy. In 1854, Mr. and Mrs. Colborn and two sons, moved from Canada to Sauk county, Wisconsin.
Mr. Colborn, as early as 1873, came to Howard county, Nebraska, taking up a homestead and timber claim, which he relinquished and returned to
Wisconsin. In 1883 he again came to Nebraska and purchased eighty acres of land on section eighteen, township fourteen, range eight, and this remained his home farm until 1892, at which time he moved to Palmer, Merrick county, for town residence of self, wife, and daughter, Nettie. Mr. Colborn lost his wife, who died April 11, 1899, and his own death occurred March 9, 1903.
Mr. Colborn was a forceful man and a good citizen, and his three sons still reside in Merrick county, and for a number of years the Colborn family has been one of the prominent families of central Nebraska. At one time Mr. Colborn and five sons resided in Merrick county.
Mr. Colborn is still revered in the memory of all who knew him. Abram Colborn and wife were the parents of the following children: Alonzo, died in Canada; George of Upland, Calif.; John M., of Palmer; Hiram E., of Palmer; Marcus W., of Yuma, Idaho; Benjamin F., of Palmer; Abraham L., of Otis, Idaho; Mary Catherine, died in infancy in Sauk county, Wisconsin; Katie, wife of Ernest Atwell, of Independence, Missouri; Mabel, wife of William Ross, of Chetek, Wisconsin; and Mrs. Nettie McCartney, of Rice Lake, Wisconsin.
CHARLES A. NIPPELL.
Romance is not a thing of the past, along-forgotten attribute of the middle age or the pages of fiction, but is still to be found in real life and the quiet corners of the earth, and Niobrara is not without its share. In a review of the life of this gentleman, we will show that nobility of a high order renounced its birthright and left a rich patrimony to, become a plain American citizen as a result of an affair of the heart.
Charles A. Nippell, the well-known surveyor of Niobrara, is a descendant of the ancient nobility of the European continent. Through his mother's family he bears the title of Count von Selbach, and from his father that of Baron van Neppellen, but when he left his native land and elected to become an American citizen, he foreswore his title and had the court change his name to its present spelling, preferring to forget that he has ever been anything but a plain private citizen.
He was born in Vevey, Switzerland, on October 13, 1858, of an old Holland family. His father, Pierre Daniel van Neppellen left his native country and settled in Switzerland where he remained during his lifetime.
Charles was educated in the universities of Stuttgart, Zurich and Paris, fitting himself for civil engineering, at the same time acquiring a master's knowledge of music. During his career, he has held the position of organist in many of the leading churches of the continent, including that of Notre Dame, Paris, the leading church of the world, holding the position of assistant organist for three years. He also devoted considerable attention to the languages, mastering seven tongues, and represented several foreign firms, exhibiting engineering and architectural works at the Centennial Exposition held in Philadelphia in 1876. He spent his time when a youth as became a young gentleman of position, but at the time of the Centennial Exposition first came to the United States. A short while before the close of the exposition, he returned to his native country and remained until 1879, when he again came to America, spending two months in California looking for a location, and returning home by way of the far north. In 1882, Mr. Nippell again came to the United States. He spent the following year in various parts of this country, principally in the northwest, landing again in Nebraska in 1883.
He sojourned in Creighton and Bazile Mills for about a year, then settled permanently in Niobrara. Here he turned his knowledge of engineering to advantage, pursuing the work at Knox, Boyd, Tripp, and Gregory counties, in Nebraska and Dakota. He has been in the employ of the federal government since 1890, and has the honor of having laid out Boyd county in the original survey.
Experts who have observed his work, both in the field and on the draughting board, declare that he is wasting his talents in the wilderness and should be in the national capitol in charge of a bureau in the departments of land and surveys. However, he likes the life of the west, and is contented to remain. He has traveled much and set foot on every continent except South America, which he may yet do if the "wander lust" strikes him at the right time.
Mr. Nippell was married in Niobrara, August 30, 1887, to Mary Hindman, and they have a family of seven children, namely: Charles A., a graduate in pharmacy from the Creighton university, in 1911; Daniel A., a surveyor in the government employ, being first assistant to N. B. Sweitzer, United States Examiner of surveys, Pierre B., Sophia J., Maxine and George Dewey, the last mentioned being so named on account of his birth occurring on the day General Dewey took Manila; and Rita C. All the children have received splendid educations to fit them for the battle of life, and are a most interesting group of young people. Their home is one of the pleasantest places imaginable, its members dispensing the delightful hospitality usual to those of their race, and it is a treat to the weary traveler to enjoy a visit there.
Mr. Nippell has crossed the Atlantic seven times to visit his aged parents, and thoroughly enjoyed his stay and the intercourse with them.
Politically Mr. Nippell is a strong republican, and has been active in advancing the interests of his party at all times. He served his country as surveyor from 1886 to 1908. He was brought up in the Lutheran faith, to which he still clings. He is a member of the Masonic fraternity, serving several terms as Master, and has many times been a delegate to the Grand lodge.
HON. JOHN A. WEEMS.
John A. Weems, one of the best known pioneers of Nance county, has a pleasant home in Fullerton, and is held in high esteem by all. He is a business man of more than ordinary ability, successfully carrying on various enterprises. He has extensive land interests throughout the region which he personally conducts, farming and stock raising on a large scale.
Mr. Weems was born near Greenville, Green county, Tennessee, on December 29, 1858. He was the youngest of two sons born to Thomas and Betsy Weems, both of whom were natives of that state, and both dying there, when our subject was but one year old. Mr. Weems remained on the home farm during his younger years, receiving his education in the common schools, and at an early age asserted his manhood in an effort for self-support.
He was married in Green county, Tennessee, on March 7, 1879, to Mattie Ball, who was a native of that county. They lived in Green county up to 1883, then with their son, Horace, came to Nance county, Nebraska, where Mr. Weems purchased some land on the Loup river, and engaged in farming and stock raising. He built up a fine farm, and now owns large tracts of good valley and table land on which he feeds many head of stock annually, giving his personal attention to all matters. Mr. and Mrs. Weems have three children, two of whom are living: Horace W., and a daughter, Edna. The entire family are well known and highly esteemed throughout the community in which they reside. With his family, Mr. Weems settled in Fullerton in 1899 purchasing one of the finest residence in the city which is one of the beauty spots of the place.
In the fall of 1906 Mr. Weems was elected a member of the Nebraska legislature, and was reelected the following term still serving in the lower house.
He has held numerous township and county offices, being a member of the board of supervisors in Nance county in 1900. He is a Woodman, Odd Fellow, and belongs to the Masonic order.
Among the most energetic and prosperous stockmen of northeastern Nebraska may be mentioned George Kirkland, of Atkinson. He was born in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, May 8,1861, a son of Charles and Margaret (Fox) Kirkland, the father a native of England but reared in Ireland, whence he emigrated to America. For thirty years he was manager of the Caledonia woolen and cotton mills, of Philadelphia. Margaret Fox was a native of County Armagh, Ireland. In 1871 the family moved to Linn county, Iowa, lived two years in the western part of that county and then located near Urbana, Benton county, in the same state.
There George Kirkland grew to manhood on his father's farm, and harvested one crop of his own before coming to Nebraska in 1882. He filed on a homestead in the northern part of Holt county, at the head of Spring Branch and six miles south of Nebraska river. To this he added, by purchase from time to time, and finally became possessed of eleven hundred acres of land. Later he purchased his father-in-law's place of one hundred and sixty acres in one body, and an outlying tract of eighty acres. He also added five hundred and sixty acres by purchase. He lived on the homestead place eight years, then moved to the place his father-in-law had improved, and resided on that place until March, 1905, when he moved to Atkinson, where he had purchased a small place from Mr. Hall, who was a stockman. This place was well suited to the purpose of Mr. Kirkland, who has since continued dealing in stock. He raises stock on his various ranches and buys and ships many carloads each year. He deals in hogs and cattle, chiefly, and his shipping point is Atkinson. He has arranged his place to suit his needs, having divided it into yards of various sizes, equipped with scales and other conveniences for operating his large business.
Mr. Kirkland was married at O'Neill, May 8, 1886, to Miss Kate Stockwell, a native of Indiana, and a daughter of Benjamin and Jane (Rowland) Stockwell, of Butte, Nebraska, of whom extensive mention is made elsewhere in this work. The Stockwell family came to Nebraska in 1870, and eight years later moved to Lincoln county, Kansas, where they resided six years. On his return to Nebraska Mr. Stockwell resided for a time in Holt county, and later retired to Butte, Boyd county, which place has since been his home. Mr. Kirkland and wife became the parents of two sons, Wilbur S. who is raising stock on the Turkey Creek ranch and Harold V., a pupil in the Atkinson high school.
Mr. Kirkland is a republican in politics and has given his firm support to the candidates on the state and national tickets, although he sometimes votes for local candidates who do not have the endorsement of the party.
He and his wife had a unique experience in connection with the blizzard of January 12, 1888.
After he had been out in the storm getting his stock into sheds, he returned to the house, and soon afterward the soot in the chimney caught fire, and the pipe, becoming red hot, set fire to the roof.
There was but little water in the house and getting more meant great delay on account of the fury of the storm so he brought a bucket of milk, and used this a cupful at a time, until the fire was extinguished probably the first time in the history of the west that lacteal fluid was used as a fire extinguisher. The next day's experiences were anything but pleasant with the mercury forty degrees below zero. Mr. Kirkland and his neighbors were trying to save a herd of cattle that had drifted into a marsh near his house, many of which died
on the sleigh on the way back to the sheds. Some had strength left to recover, but many died before they could be dragged out from the mud and slushy snow.
In the earlier days, prairie fires were often a source of menace to homes and crops. On one occasion he had but once chance to drive through a fire which was burning fourteen miles northeast of Atkinson, and that was to find a place where the grass was short. His way to safety lay in passing through and after selecting what he considered the best place to make the attempt, he rushed his horses through, although in this rush, to the other side the poor creatures were much singed. Upon reaching his own home, however, he found it in no danger. He lived in a "dug-out" during the first year of his residence in the state, but growing tired of living alone, sent for his sister who threatened to return east unless he built a frame house, which he did rather than again look after his own house. When times were hardest the earliest settlers went to distant parts of the state to find work, and in the fall of 1885 Mr. Kirkland went as far as Dakota threshing. He worked on a railroad in the spring of 1887 and in the fall of 1888 husked corn in Wayne county. Although the wages earned in this work were not very large, the early settlers were glad to earn enough to help keep flour in the barrel. In the early times there were deer and antelope, and occasionally a big grey wolf forgot his shyness and came into view.
Some of the severe hail storms that have several times swept the state passed by way of Mr. Kirkland's home, and in his neighborhood hail-stones as large as a man's fist have fallen, at times even breaking through a roof. Two in one year, in the months of August and September, broke not only the glass in the windows, but the screens and sashes as well, and left marks on the sides of the house. Great welts were to be noticed on the horses and cattle where the hail had struck them, and during the year when this happened Mr. Kirkland lost all the corn on his home farm and would have been obliged to buy corn for his own use that year if he had not had some planted on another farm. During the first winter he chopped his fuel along the Niobrara river and hauled it seven miles to his home. Like many other pioneers he often used parched rye instead of coffee, and for a whole year ate only rye bread, wheat flour being too scarce and expensive. Mr. Kirkland became so expert in making good rye bread that the wheat bread was not missed, and during the entire year but one hundred pounds of the white flour was used in baking, and that when company was entertained. During the hard times the milk and butter from their cows formed a good share of their living, although butter then brought but eight or ten cents per pound at the small store in their neighborhood.
The Indian scare of 1881 gave the family some uneasiness, although it did not cause them to leave their homes, and for a long time a coyote's cry would cause Mrs. Kirkland to listen intently to make sure it was not a yell of the Indians.
In spite of the hard time he was then having to get along, Mr. Kirkland purchased ten heifers in the spring of 1887, the beginning of his large herd of cattle, and from that time on success attended his way, not withstanding the drought of the early nineties and various other setbacks. He is a man of great force of character and bound to make his way in any walk of life he selected to follow. He is a keen judge of cattle and other stock, and in his shipping has deals that amount to many thousands of dollars each year. He is one of the substantial citizens of his part of the state and one who bore with great fortitude the hardships and privations of pioneer days in order that his children might be able to meet easier conditions and enjoy the comforts and luxuries of civilization and progress in a greater degree than he was able to do. Not only did the men have to bear heavy burdens, but the women often had more severe trials and taxes on their endurance, and in his wife Mr. Kirkland has a helpmeet who has been a constant inspiration to cheer him on his way, and to hope with him for better things to come.
ANDREW J. McELVEY.
Among thee representative pioneer farmers and business men of Boone county who have aided materially in its development and advancement, a prominent places is accorded the above mentioned gentleman who resides in St. Edwards, where he is engaged in the harness business and is making a success of that work.
Andrew J. McElvey was born in Brockville, Canada, December 16, 1845. He was the eldest of four children in the family of David and Eliza McKelvey who settled in Berlin, Wisconsin, in the latter part of 1848. After living there for ten years, they removed to Ripon and remained up to 1863.
Andrew received his education in Wisconsin, and in 1863 enlisted in the First Wisconsin Cavalry Company M, serving until the close of the war, and being mustered out at Edgefield Tennessee, in August, 1865. He was with McCook's company of cavalry at the battle of Atlanta, and was with Sherman in his march to the sea. He was also engaged in many other battles and skirmishes, including the battle of Selma and took part in every principal action of his regiment.
At the close of the war, Mr. McKelvey returned to Ripon, and in the fall of 1869, started to work at his trade, that of harnessmaker and saddler, and has remained in this business up to the present time.
He came to Nebraska in the winter of 1871, the following year homesteading on section ten, township eighteen, range five, in Boone county, and this tract of land is still in his possession. He followed farming for a number of years, also work-
ing his trade in Columbus, and in 1892 opened a harness store at St. Edward, carrying the business on successfully since then. He has made St. Edward his residence for the past eighteen years, and has been a member of the town board, holding different local offices, and also being connected with the school board for a number of years. He is an active member of several lodges, among them the Knights of Pythias, etc.
In September, 1869, Mr. McKelvey was married to Anconetta Dana at Eureka, Wisconsin, she being a native of New York state. They have four living children: Edward, Nettie, Jay D., and Harley, all married and residing in Boone county. The entire family is well known and among the popular citizens of their respective communities
A history of the settlement and development of northeastern Nebraska would be incomplete without mention of the life and agricultural success of Ed. Miller, prominent among the earlier settlers of Wayne county.
Mr. Miller is a native of western Prussia, Germany, born in 1851, and a son of Christ and Minnie Miller, who spent their entire lives in Germany. He was educated in his native country and is a young man served three years in the army, participating in the Franco-Prussian and Austrian wars. Afterward the desire grew upon him to own a home of his own, and he decided to come to the United States, where there was a good opportunity for a young man with small capital to make a start in life. He sailed from Hamburg to New York in 1876, and came direct to Wayne county, Nebraska, where he took up a homestead of eighty acres and a forty acre tree claim. He at once set out to improve and cultivate his land, and now has a very comfortable and well situated home, surrounded by every possible improvement.
Upon his arrival in Nebraska, Mr. Miller found himself with very few neighbors, his market was distant, and there were still a few deer and antelope to be found in the neighborhood of his claim. He had the usual difficulties to encounter with grasshoppers and prairie fires that other early settlers had, and found it necessary to work very hard to get his first start and begin to reap a profit from his place. However, he persevered in his undertaking, and has been well rewarded for his pains. He is now surrounded with agricultural and commercial prosperity, and has many friends throughout the county. He was united in marriage with Miss Bertha Benstrouf, in 1883, and they are parents of eight children: Margaret, Hugh, Minnie, Allen, Emma, Knox, Otto and Adolph.
The economy and thrift that are dominant traits of the German race are well exemplified in the career of Martin Krueger, formerly of Staunton, Staunton county, Nebraska.
He was born in the little village of Vrechow, Brandenburg, Germany, on May 21, 1835, and was the son of Christian and Louisa (Engel) Krueger. When he had attained manhood years, he became overseer of a large estate, but for the last five years before emigrating, had rented land and farmed for himself.
Mr. Krueger's voyage to America was not entirely without excitement. He left Bremen on April 13, 1870, but before the vessel reached Havre, it ran on the rocks and was so badly damaged that it was forced to put into Havre and dock for repairs.
On coming to Nebraska, Mr. Krueger filed on a homestead sixteen miles northeast of Staunton. Here he put up a log house. At this time deer and antelope were quite common in that section of the county, and at one time he was so fortunate as to shoot an elk, which supplied fresh meat to his household.
Like other early settlers, Mr. Krueger endured many hardships. Several years, grasshoppers took his crops, leaving devastation in their wake. In time his prospects brightened, and as his circumstances permitted, he improved the place by planting groves and orchards, and erecting barns and outbuildings. By thrift and industry, he added to his possessions another quarter section.
Mr. Krueger and family lived on the farm until 1892, when he bought a small house in Staunton, and moved to that town. He moved this house away in 1897, and built a comfortable, roomy, two story frame house with granitoid walks surrounding it, and an abundance of fruit and trees on the place. He enjoyed a comfortable income from the rent of his lands.
Mr. Krueger was first married to Wilhelmina Shienke in Nebraska, no children being born of this union.
Later he was married to Emma Fechner, a native of the village of Bueten, province of Silesia, Germany. Her parents, Carl and Juliana Seidel Fechner came to America in 1870, sailing in the "Rising Star" from Stettin, the voyage to America consuming four weeks. They were also among the early settlers of Nebraska. Indians often came to their house, begging flour or bread, and frequently acted ugly when none of the scant supply could be given them. Mr. and Mrs. Krueger had but one daughter, Martha, who is at present a student in the Staunton schools.
Mr. Krueger was a democrat in politics, and a member of the Lutheran church. He was much esteemed by the wide circle of friends whom he made during his long residence in this part of the country. He saw Nebraska develop from a wilderness to its present civilization. His death occurred November 22, 1910, mourned by many friends.
Mr. Krueger was the eldest son of his family,
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by T&C Miller, P Ebel, P Shipley, L Cook