tilled and the buildings he has erected are substantial and well cared for.
He is the treasurer of the school district in which he resides, and always responds when called to the public service.
W. H. RUGGLESS.
Among the leading old settlers and publics-pirited citizens of Antelope county, Nebraska, the gentleman above mentioned deserves a foremost place. A. Ruggless has aided in no slight degree in the development of the commercial resources of this region, and has done his full share in building up the schools, doing all in his power for the betterment of conditions.
Mr. Ruggless is a. native of Daviess county, Indiana, born September 15, 1853, on his father's farm. His father, James Ruggless, was also born in the state of Indiana on the same farm. Our subject was reared in Iowa, and when he reached maturity left home and started out to make his own way in the world. He lived in Iowa for twenty-five years intermittently. From there he moved to Butler county, Nebraska, in 1882, remaining there nine years. In 1891, he came to Antelope county, Nebraska, where he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in section twelve, township twenty-six, range eight, remaining here but a short time, trading his farm for a livery barn in Clearwater, and here he remained in business for three years. A farmer's life had a strong attraction for Mr. Ruggless, and having a longing for the tilling of the fertile and productive soil, he sold his livery business and bought one hundred and sixty acres of land in section twenty-one, township twenty-six, range eight, which as before stated is his present home.
Mr. Ruggless was united in marriage December 17, 1875, at Knoxville, Iowa, to Miss E. A. Mark, and Mr. and Mrs. Ruggless are the parents of six children, named as follows: Lena, George, Rex, Arthur, Kittie, and Wilda. Mrs. Ruggless died January 21, 1910, survived by her husband and children, who as well as relatives and a host of kind friends and neighbors deeply mourned her death.
Mr. Ruggless and family are very highly esteemed and respected by all in their community, and Mr. Ruggless is known as an upright and honorable citizen.
JAMES W. TUCKER.
Among the representative citizens of Pierce county, Nebraska, is James W. Tucker, who resides in the village of McLean, Pierce county. He is a gentleman of energetic character and well merits his high standing.
Mr. Tucker was born in Green county, Iowa, December 25, 1864, the son of Jacob Tucker, a native of Pennsylvania,, who was born in 1834, and died in 1909; he was a carpenter by trade. Mr. Tucker's mother was Miss Pauline Mayr, a native of Kentucky, who was born in 1848 and died in 1908. The grandfather, Isaac Tucker, was a native of Pennsylvania, and served his country in the civil war from 1860 to 1864, inclusive.
In 1892 Mr. Tucker was joined in wedlock to Miss Minnie Tillery, whose father was an early settler of Nebraska. To this union one child has been born, a son, Willis.
Mr. Tucker came to Burt county, Nebraska, in 1884, where he resided until 1905, when he came to Pierce county, and is still a resident here. He is an efficient commissioner of highways in the district around McLean and keeps the roads in his district in good condition at all times.
Mr. Tucker is affiliated with Royal Highlander lodge, and in politics casts his vote for the republican party. He always lends his influence for the upbuilding of the better interests of his community, and is highly respected and esteemed by all who know him.
Chris Appel, one of the substantial business men of Dannebrog, Nebraska, is widely known as a successful and progressive citizen of Howard county. He is engaged in the banking business and has a wide patronage throughout the section.
Mr. Appel was born in Denmark on May 24, 1858, and came to America in the spring of 1878. For two years after coming to this country he made his home at Galesburg, Illinois, following farm work, then emigrated west, locating at Fremont, Nebraska. There he was united in marriage to Margarethe Petersen, also a native of Denmark, who came to America with her parents in the fall of 1882, one year previous to her marriage. They lived in Fremont for about four years, then removed to Dunbar, there engaging in farming and stock raising, occupying their farm for two years. They next located in Howard county, where Mr. Appel purchased one hundred and sixty acres on section thirty-four, township thirteen, range eleven, situated two and one-half miles west of the then small town of Dannebrog. Since that time he has gradually added to his acreage until he now owns four hundred and sixty acres of well improved land, besides one of the finest residence properties in Dannebrog, and all of his success is due to his energy and industry.
Mr. Appel is a staunch supporter of the peoples independent party, and in the fall of 1897 was elected county treasurer, taking charge of the office the following year and serving for four years. He also served as precinct assessor for two terms during the early days of his residence here, and for many years has been a member of the Dannebrog school board. In 1907 in company
with several other gentlemen, he incorporated what is known as the First State Bank of Dannebrog, being appointed acting cashier of the bank, and still holds that position. Mr. Appel was one of the prime movers in the organization of the Nysted academy, which is a well-known Danish school, also is a member of the present Dannebrog school board. He is secretary and treasurer of the Loup Valley Co- operative Creamery Association, which concern is doing a flourishing business through that section of the county.
Mr. and Mrs. Appel have had a large family. Six children are now living, named as follows: Christine, wife of A. C. Peterson, of Howard county, parents of two children; Minnie B., assistant cashier and bookkeeper in her father's bank; Jens, a farmer, and Mamie, Roy, and Anna, who live at home.
Oscar Babcock was born in Cattaraugus county, New York, March 15, 1835, the eldest of three children in the family of George C. and Elmira Babcock. The surviving members of this family are Oscar (the subject of this sketch) and Delia, (Mrs. Henry Chase), both residing in North Loup, Nebraska. The other son, Herman A., died in 1904. The Babcock family left New York state in 1842, going to Rock county, Wisconsin, where they remained about five years, then moving to Waushara county, in 1847. Oscar grew up in this county, practically, as he was only twelve years old when the family came there. He received the usual school advantages and also one year of an academy course. He taught for some time in the public schools of Waushara county, and was for many years postmaster of Dakota, Wisconsin. He was also actively engaged in the mercantile business.
His father was an ordained minister in the Seventh Day Baptist church and naturally Oscar took an active interest in this faith. In 1858 he was licensed to preach and in 1872 became an ordained minister of the Seventh Day Baptist church.
Mr. Babcock was married to Marietta A. Bristol in Dakota, Wisconsin, on June 1, 1858, and four children were born to them.
In 1863, 1864, 1865 and 1866, Mr. Babcock was a member of the Wisconsin state legislature. He was then one of the most prominent men of that section of Wisconsin.
In the spring of 1871, an association was formed (principally of the Seventh Day Baptist church people) to organize a colony to emigrate to Iowa, Nebraska or Kansas, securing government or railroad land suitable for farming or stock-raising. Oscar Babcock was chosen president of the colony association, George B. Rood, vice president, and Nathan B. Prentice, secretary. A locating committee of four men was chosen; Charles P. Rood, N. B. Prentice, Amos Travis and Charles Wellman - to make a trip into the western country to select a suitable spot for the colony. A detailed account of the work of this committee is found in the personal sketch of Charles P. Rood.
In the spring of 1872, Mr. Babcock came by railroad to Grand Island, Nebraska, and there joined George and Charles Rood, who were on their way overland from Dakota, Wisconsin, to the North Loup Valley, Nebraska. The party reached their destination on May 13, and on May 18, Mr. Babcock preached to about fifty people, this being the first religious service held by an ordained minister in this neighborhood.
Mr. Babcock took up a homestead claim and in the summer returned to Wisconsin for his family, but owing to the illness of his wife and her death, which occurred on October 11, 1872, his return was delayed until the latter part of November, that same year, when Mr. Babcock and his four children, with Herman Rood, went to their Loup Valley home.
This homestead had been secured by Mr. Babcock paying a young Dane fifteen dollars to relinquish his squatter right and move off. He still resides on the original homestead, although a portion of the town of North Loup, Valley county, is now located on a part of it.
In 1878, Mr. Babcock was, married to Miss Hattie Payne, who died in North Loup, December 24, 1881, leaving one child, who died when two years of age. On September 9, 1889, Mr. Babcock was married to Adaline Johnson Preston in North Loup. Mrs. Babcock is a native of the state of Rhode Island, coming to Nebraska in 1882 to join her brother, Byron Johnson, an early pioneer settler of Valley county.
Mr. Babcock has been closely connected with the history of Valley county and the entire North Loup Valley, in fact. He bears the reputation of being a plain, consistent citizen, always doing his part toward the upbuilding of the community in which he lives, especially along church and educational lines. He was county superintendent of schools in 1874, and probate judge of Valley county in 1876. He was the first postmaster appointed in this county, and has held that position in North Loup for many years. In 1879, he became a member of he Nebraska state legislature.
Mr. Babcock was the first pastor of the Seventh Day Baptist church of North Loup, which was organized in March, 1873, by a meeting held in a dugout cabin. He was pastor at this church for six: years and since that time has officiated in case of a pulpit vacancy. He is known and loved by every family in this community, having had occasion to serve most of them personally, either by christening their children, performing marriages among their relatives, or helping them lay away their dead. Three of his children, Edwin J., Arthur H., and Myra, (Mrs. William E. Gowan), live in North. Loup. One son, George I.,
lives in Mexico, as he is general secretary of the young men's christian Association of the Mexican Republic.
The people of the Seventh Day Baptist church were largely represented in the early settlement of the North Loup Valley. They now have a fine commodious church in North Loup and a membership of about three hundred.
This community shows amongst the people and their homes, the refining influence that the church and christian teaching had much to do with the development of this country.
Of the prominent and leading old settlers of Valley county, Nebraska, none are held in higher esteem by their fellow citizens than Frank Buntrock. He has been a potent factor in the development and growth of his locality, and is a man of untiring energy, possessed of sterling characteristics, and has prospered in his chosen calling.
Mr. Buntrock resides on section twelve, township twenty-four, range one, which has been the homestead farm of his grandfather for many years.
Mr. Buntrock is a native of Nebraska, his birth occurring November 10, 1878, and he is a son of August B. and Caroline (Kaun) Buntrock, both of whom were natives of Germany.
Our subject's father and grandfather came from Germany to America in 1865, sailing from Hamburg in a sailboat, and were nine weeks on the sea. After arriving in the new world, they proceeded westward as far as Janesville, Wisconsin, where they lived nine years. In 1872, they drove from Wisconsin to the state of Nebraska, locating in Madison county, where the grandfather took up a homestead in section twelve, township twenty-four, range one, the one on which our subject now resides, as before stated, and the father took up a claim on the southeast quarter of the same section, township and range. They each built good log houses, in which the two families resided about fifteen years, respectively, then replacing the log structures by good, substantial frame dwellings.
The families suffered many hardships and privations in the pioneer days, and, like so many other first settlers, lost their entire crops for the first few years of residence here, which made it very hard for them to exist. Crops were also destroyed in 1894 through the hot winds that burned all vegetation to almost a crisp, owing to the terrible drouth of that season. These are only a few of the many discouragements and failures which beset the early settler on the western frontier.
Mr. Buntrock was united in marriage in 1905 to Miss Kate Miller, a native of Wyoming, and a daughter of Fritz Miller. Mr. and Mrs. Buntrock are the parents of one child, a daughter, named Paula. They are members of the Lutheran church, and Mr. Buntrock is a democrat.
HENRY C. WELLS.
For over forty years, the venerable gentleman, whose name heads this review, has been identified with the development of Merrick county, Nebraska, where he has gained a high station as a citizen, and incidentally became one of the substantial men of his community.
Henry C. Wells was born in New York state, September 9, 1836, and was third of five children in the family of Varnum and Mary Ann (Maxion) Wells, who had three sons and two daughters, Mr, Wells being the second son. They were a New York state family, and our subject was a farm boy, receiving the advantages of the district schools. When in his twenty-first year he went out in life for himself, going to work in a lumber camp, hauling lumber for some years. In July, 1858, in Oswego county, New York state, Mr. Wells was married to Miss Cynthia Green, who was also a native of New York state. Mr. Wells engaged in tannery work about three years.
In October, 1861, Mr. Wells enlisted in Company K, Eighty-first New York Volunteer Infantry, for three years. A number of the younger men of the community also followed his example, and enlisted with him. In June, 1862, at the battle of Fairoaks, he was severely wounded. His company was on the extreme left, and, at the time, were in the thick of the fight. A bullet struck Mr. Wells just at the base of the neck, in the right, shoulder, and passed quartering through the body, coming out below the shoulder blades. Notwithstanding this terrible wound, Mr. Wells continued to fight until ordered to the rear by his captain. It seems almost incredible that one so severely wounded could remain on his feet, yet Mr. Wells walked to the rear, seeking surgical care, which he did not receive properly until he arrived at his home some seven days later, he being sent home on account of his wound. These few days were days of suffering, and almost an unbelievable amount of endurance was required, as proper care was not given him until his home doctor attended him, who found pieces of clothing carried into the wound by the bullet, which had not been removed. Mr. Wells not only was laid low with the wound, but also had an attack of typhoid fever. He was home about three months, and then rejoined his regiment, and at the battle of Cold Harbor received another severe wound in the same shoulder, the bullet passing down, and becoming imbedded in the muscles under the right shoulder blade, where it still remains. After two years' service, he re-enlisted in the same company and regiment for three years, or during the war. Mr. Wells received his honorable discharge, February 19, 1865. He returned to his home in New York state, and, after several years, moved to Iowa
in 1868, and to Merrick county, Nebraska, in May, 1871, taking up a homestead about six miles northeast of Central City, which he proved up, and then moved to the northern part of Merrick county, taking up a timber claim in the Loup valley, and this was his home farm until the family moved to Palmer about 1904. Mr. Wells did his part as a pioneer settler or Merrick county, and himself and family passed through the early Nebraska days, taking an active part in the building up of Merrick county.
Mr. and Mrs. Wells had five children born to them, four of whom are living - their only daughter is deceased: Henry A., married, has three children, is a leading business man of Palmer; George, married, and living in Lead City, South Dakota, has five children; Fred, married, has three children, and lives in Gage Valley, Merrick county; and Charles, who is married, has two children, and resides in Palmer, Nebraska.
Before Palmer came into existence as a town, Mr. Wells was postmaster of the Burlinggame postoffice for a number of years.
Mr. and Mrs. Wells, after a married life of over fifty-three years, are still active, enjoying their pleasant home, surrounded by their sons and grandchildren, and have the respect and esteem of a large circle of friends.
Mr. and Mrs. Wells are members of the Methodist church, and Mr. Wells is a republican, and a member of the General Wilich post, Grand Army of the Republic, No. 289, of Palmer, and Mrs. Wells belongs to the Womans' Relief Corps. We are pleased to present portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Wells on another page of this volume.
Mr. and Mrs. Henry C. Wells.
SAMUEL C. VANSKIKE.
Among the well-known men of Greeley county, Nebraska, who have at heart the best interests of the region, may be counted Samuel C. Vanskike, a native of Greeley county, where he has spent his entire life, with the exception of it short time, when he was away at school. His birth occurred March 2, 1889, and he is eldest in a family of seven children, born to Charles and Caroline (Scott) Vanskike. A sketch of the father also appears in these pages. Mr. Vauskike received his early education in local schools, reaching young manhood on his father's farm, and in 1905-06 attended Wesleyan College at University Place, Lincoln, Nebraska, graduating with the class of 1906.
Upon completing his education, Mr. Vanskike returned to the home farm, and remained with his father two years. In the spring of 1909, he secured a position with the Weeks Elevator Company at Scotia, and worked for the Beatrice Creamery Company there from August 15, 1909, until June, 1, 1910. On the latter date, he became connected with the First State Bank of Scotia as book-keeper, until February, 1911. Since then he has been engaged in farming. Mr. Vanskike is a young man of good character, and well known for his business ability and good character. He has the. good will and regard of a large number of friends. He was married, March 22, 1910, at the Sautter home in Scotia, to Miss Ella, daughter of Jacob Sautter. Both Mr. Vanskike and his wife were born and reared in Greeley county, and are keenly interested in its development and welfare.
One of the most prominent and progressive farmers and stockmen in Cedar county is William Sullivan, who occupies a well-improved farm in section nine. Like many other settlers in the west, Mt.. Sullivan is not a native of this country, but, like most of the other "adopted sons," he has nobly done his part in converting the wilderness into the present thickly-settled, progressive community.
Mr. Sullivan was born in Ireland in 1837, being the son of Daniel and Ellen Sullivan. The elder Sullivan was a prosperous small farmer, and young William remained at home, assisting his parents, until he had attained the age of nineteen. At this time, in 1856, he made up his mind to sock his fortunes in the west, in the new world. He left Liverpool, bound for New York, on a littlesailing vessel, and, after a long, monotonous journey of forty-one days, reached his harbor.
Mr. Sullivan came at once to Wisconsin, where he remained for a number of years. In 1866, he was here united in marriage to Miss Katie Donagan.
Two years later, in 1868, Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan decided to go farther west before permanently settling down. So, in that year, they took the long overland trip with a yoke of oxen, coming to Cedar county, the journey taking three weeks. Mr. Sullivan here took a homestead on section nine, township thirty-one, range two, and since that time it has been his home. He has improved the farm in every possible way, and it is now considered one of the finest in that locality. While not losing interest in purely agricultural labors, he has Iately turned his attention to stock raising, and has been very successful in that line also.
Mr. Sullivan has always taken a great interest in all that pertains to the welfare of their adopted country, and is in every way a progressive, publicspirited citizen.
Two children, William P. and James Daniel, have been born to Mr. and Mrs. Sullivan. The family are well known socially, and enjoy the respect and esteem of all who know them.
FREDERICK G. BOELTS.
Some of America's best citizens claim their nativity in far-off lands across the sea, and their
immigration to the home of the stars and stripes has added many strong, sturdy characters to our population - characters that have been so instrumental in the upbuilding of the communities in which they chose to live - and such an one is the subject of this biographical writing.
Frederick G. Boelts, farmer, son of Gerd and Anna (Oeltjen) Boelts, was born in Grand Dutchey of Oldenburg, Germany, October 28, 1871. In 1878, he came with his parents to America, locating in Merrick county, Nebraska, in which county Mr. Boelts received his education in the home schools, and in the years 1893, 1894 and 1895 attended Iowa Wesleyan University at Mount Pleasant, after which he taught in Nebraska schools for four years.
On March 29, 1899, Mr. Boelts was joined in wedlock to Miss Kate Bruno, of Nebraska, who had also been a teacher, and whose father, Henry A. Bruno, settled in Nebraska in 1873, and who served one term in the Nebraska state legislature.
Mr. and Mrs. Boelts have had five children born to them, whose names are as follows: Henry, deceased, August 24, 1906, at the age of six years; Margaret M., Ethel Irene, Edith A. and Helen G., all of whom reside under the parental roof.
Mr. Boelts has been prosperous and successful, and owns one hundred and sixty acres of finely cultivated land. His father died May 9, 1898, in Nebraska, and his mother is still living on the old home place in Merrick county.
Mr. Boelts has served as precinct assessor, and, while yet a young man, is one of the early settlers of his county, and is well and favorably known.
DR. W. H. BRITT.
Dr. W. H. Britt first came to Nebraska in September, 1884, beginning practice of medicine in Knox county, at Bazile Mills. He had graduated from the medical department of Iowa University at Iowa City, March 4, 1884. He was a native of Mills county, Iowa, born near Glenwood, January 12, 1863, where he attended the country schools until he went to college in the fall of 1880. Our subject's father, Thomas M. Britt, was a native of Hardin county, Tennessee, born in 1837. His parents, Leroy and Rhoda Britt, born 1811 and 1812 respectively, came to Iowa with their small family, about 1845, and were in western Iowa at the time of the expulison of the Mormons from Nauvoo, Illinois. Many of these sojourned for several years in western Iowa, preparing for the trip across the plains, and the elder Britt became well acquainted with them. Glenwood was in those days known as "Coonville," there being many of those arboreal animals in the region at that time, and coon skins were used as a medium of exchange.
Thomas M. Britt lived in Mills county, Iowa, until a few years before his death, he went to California, where he resided two years, after which he returned to the Missouri valley, and became at resident of Sioux Falls, South Dakota, where he died in 1905. In 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Twenty-ninth Iowa Volunteer Infantry, serving four years, until the close of the war. Like many Tennesseeans, he had remarkable skill with the rifle, and was assigned to the service as a sharpshooter. He was in the battle of Shiloh, Siege of Vicksburg, Chattanooga campaign, and many minor engagements. On his return to Iowa, after the war, he served his people in minor official positions, and was for one term a member of the Iowa legislature. In politics he was always a staunch republican. Thomas Britt was married in Mills county Iowa, to Miss Martha Dunnegan, a native of Ireland, in which country her father died. The mother brought her family to America, and settled in Iowa, where she died.
On coming to Knox county, Nebraska, Doctor Britt resided at Bazile Mills four years, anticipating the railroad's passing through the village, and its development into a thriving town. When the road was pushed on toward the Niobrara, and it was certain Bazile Mills was to be left to one side., Doctor Britt moved to Creighton, in 1884, and has resided here since, building up a large practice throughout the three adjoining counties.
Doctor Britt was married at Bazile Mills, November 22, 1888, to Miss Martha A. Warner, a native of Rock county, Wisconsin, and daughter of Karl and Otillie (Klingbeil) Warner, the former a native of Pottsdam, Austria, the latter of the village of Treptow, near Berlin, Germany. They were married in Wisconsin, and came to Nebraska in 1880. The father died in 1907, and the mother has attained the age of seventy-one, and has lived in America since her eighteenth year.
Three children have been born to Dr. and Mrs. Britt: Percy, a graduate from high school, with two years' training in the state university, is in real estate business with his father; and Cladwell and Marcilene.
The doctor has endured many hardships of the pioneer days in Nebraska. He has swimmed streams, been lost at night on the prairies in storms, traveling in a circle as the lost often do, and has also breasted blizzards in his professional calls to minister to his patients. Like his race, he is quick with the rifle, and can kill game or wolves on the run as readily as when they are standing still.
Dr. Britt is republican in politics; a member of the Knights of Pythias, Royal Highlanders, Modern Woodmen of America and Woodmen of the World. He holds membership in state and county medical societies. Mrs. Britt is a member of the Congregational church. Doctor Britt served the county as coroner one term, and as a member of the board of education seven years.
CHARLES E. CARTER.
The gentleman above named is today a worthy representative of the best agricultural interests of Nance county, and has done much to rescue and redeem Nebraska from a wild prairie to its state of present prosperity. He is now retired from active labor, and enjoys the comforts of a pleasant home and companionship of many friends in the pretty little city of Fullerton.
Charles E. Carter was born in Bureau county, Illinois, on September 13, 1861, and is a son of George F. and Emily P. Carter. George F. Carter died in Bureau county, Illinois, March 7, 1911. He had been a resident of the county sixty years, and his was the first death in the immediate family. Charles E., received his education in his native state, and he early became interested in agricultural pursuits. He was married on March 3, 1886, to Olive Hazard, also reared in Illinois, who had been a teacher in the public schools there for a number of years. In the spring of 1887, Mr. and Mrs. Carter came to Nance county, where the former purchased a quarter section in the southeast quarter of section twenty-two, township seventeen, range four, and this was their home farm for fifteen years. Mrs. Carter died there in 1891, leaving one son, George N., who is an electrical engineer in Boise City, Idaho, at the present time.
While living on the original homestead, Mr. Carter and his wife passed through all the pioneer experiences, but were very successful, notwithstanding the various discouragements that came to them in getting started. He has added to his acreage from time to time, until he was owner of twelve hundred and twenty acres, all in one body, Iying four miles northeast of the town of Fullerion, and of this tract, seven hundred acres was under cultivation. Mr. Carter, in 1909 and 1910, sold a part of his land, and now owns seven hundred and fifty acres, most of which is farm land. In 1903, Mr. Carter removed to Fullerton, and retired from active farm work, although he still superintends the farming operations, carrying on a grain and stock business, principally feeding and shipping cattle.
Mr. Carter is vice president of the Fullerton National Bank, also a stockholder and director in the same. During the years 1907 and 1908, he served as president of the city school board, and during the same time was a member of the city council. He is recognized as one of Nance county's most substantial citizens and men of affairs, and has done as much as any other man in helping to build up the best interests of his vicinity.
Mr. Carter was married the second time on August 16, 1893, to Cynthia A. Porterfield, who was well known throughout Nance county, at the home of her uncle, Hiram Lewis, in Genoa, with whom she had lived for sixteen years. Mrs. Carter was for several years a popular teacher in the public schools here.
Mr. and Mrs. Carter have had six children: J. Lewis, Alice R., Mildred R., Marian, Kathleen, all at home, while the sixth, Edwin C., died in 1908. The family are popular in educational and social circles in their city, and have one of the pleasantest homes to be found anywhere, and have hundreds of friends in Fullerton and the surrounding country.
Mr. Carter is a grandson of Rhoda Milliken Carter, whose father, Joshua Milliken, was a soldier in the revolutionary war, and his name has been famous in history as one of the distinguished men of his time.
FRANK W. WOODS.
Frank W. Woods, president of the First National Bank of Spencer, and of its subsidiary institutions, has had a truly meteoric career in the world of finance. To an unbiased observer, the apparent cause is undoubted talent in financial affairs, and his own explanation is summed up in the word "work." Mr. Woods is possessed of a strong personal magnetism, combined with a genial and cordial manner, that on a first meeting makes men his friends, inspiring them with a confidence and esteem that grows on closer acquaintanceship.
Frank Woods was born in Watonwan county, Minnesota, September 18, 1875, and is a son. of J. T. Woods, of Spencer, a sketch of whom appears in this work. The family lived in various towns during his boyhood, and his education was derived through attendance at the public school's in those places, finishing with a four years' course in the Stuart high school. At an early age he evinced a liking for a business career, and took an active part in his father's business when the latter was engaged in the hotel and livery business in different towns. In 1896, he secured a clerkship in the little bank which occupied the corner where the fine large building of the First National now stands. After three years, he had so far mastered the details of the banking trade that he was appointed cashier under F. M. Weidner, of Corning, Iowa, who then held the controlling interest in the institution. As his experience grew, so did his financial interest expand, until, in 1910, he held a very large interest in the parent bank and its branches, and on January first of that year, was elected president of the entire allied group of banks, including the State Bank of Gross, which was acquired in 1905; the Bristow First National Bank, in 1906, and the Gregory County State Bank, at Fairfax, South Dakota, in 1908. The First National Bank of Nolan, South Dakota, was established in 1909. The home bank in Spencer, one of the finest buildings in the county, was erected in 1906, and is far in advance of anything of its kind usually seen in a small town. All the furnishings are of mahogany, and
equal, if not exceeding, the equipment of any bank between Omaha and the Dakota line. Its resources exceed half a million dollars, while that of the allied banks more than doubles that sum, making them one of the strongest financial institutions along the borders of the two states.
Mr. Woods was married in Spencer, July 26, 1899, to Miss Kate Kloke, she being a daughter of John Kloke, one of the leading business men of the town. Two children have come to bless their union, Clayton and LeVerne, both sturdy youngsters, and the Woods home is one of the pleasantest and most hospitable to be found in the community.
Mr. Woods has been a life-long republican. He is a member of the Masonic order, an Odd Fellow and Royal Highlander, also belonging to both orders of the Woodmen. With his family, he is a regular attendant at the Congregational church.
ELWIN E. BROWDER.
Elwin E. Browder, son of George R. and Mary A. (Wheless) Browder, was born in Hopkinton, Iowa, December 9, 1859, and was seventh in a family of eight children. In March, 1883, he came with his father and family to Boone county, Nebraska.
In 1892 Mr. Browder purchased one hundred and twenty acres in section one, township nineteen, range six, which remained the home place until 1894, when he retired from active farm life and moved to Albion, where he purchased and later improved a good home; the same year, in partnership with his brother, J. A., going into the hardware and implement business, which they continned for two years and then sold, after which Elwin E. engaged in the implement business for three years, and then retired until 1901. In that year he took his nephew, A. E. Browder, into partnership, in which interest they continued until the spring of 1910, when Elwin E. sold and purchased all implement business which he still conducts. Mr. Browder also engages in real estate, mostly in his own interests, buying and selling in his own name.
Mr. Browder served for nine years on the Albion city school board, and has also served as chairman of the Albion city board. He has been prosperous and successful, and owns one-half section of grain and alfalfa land, besides good property and business interests in Albion.
On October 6, 1881, Mr. Browder was married to Miss Faulty Garrett, of Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Browder have had three children, named as follows: George G., who is married and living in Albion, has one daughter; Andra B., and Della who resides at home.
Mrs. Browder's father died in 1883, at Albion, and her mother died in the year 1895. She has one sister residing in Denver, Colorado, one in the state of Oregon, one in Albion, and another in Council Bluffs, and a brother who resides in the state of Washington.
Our subject, Mr. Browder, is one of the substantial business men of his country, and is widely and favorably known. He has been in active church work for twenty-five years and is president of the board of trustees of the First Methodist Episcopal church in Albion. He is also district steward.
The father of our subject,. George R. Browder, was born in Virginia, June 10, 1821. After living some years in Kentucky, Illinois, and Iowa, where he engaged in stock raising and farming, he retired from active life and came to Boone county, Nebraska, in 1883. He had for some years been shipping horses to Boone county.
On February 14, 1844, he married Miss Mary A. Wheless of Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. George R. Browder had eight children born to them, seven of whom are living: two daughters and one son who reside in Council Bluffs, Iowa; one son in Lincoln, Nebraska; one daugter [sic] in Albion; one in Missouri; one daughter deceased; and one son, Elwin E., the subject of this biographical writing. Mr. Browder, the father of our subject died in 1901 at Albion, and the mother died in 1906 at Albion, where they were well and favorably known.
Fred Ulrich is one of the younger farmer's of Wayne county, Nebraska, who have met with success as farmers and stockmen in that region.
Mr. Ulrich was born in the state of Wisconsin, in 1874, and is the son of Peter and Mary Ulrich. Peter Ulrich was born in western Prussia, Germany, in 1830, reached his majority in his native country, and came to Wisconsin as a young man. He was a farmer by occupation and served during the latter part of the civil war, being drafted into service in 1865. After the war, he returned to Wisconsin and resumed his farming operations.
In 1886, the Miller [sic] family came to Wayne county and bought the Arnold homestead, where they now reside, pleasantly situated on section six, township twenty-five, range two, which had a few improvements.
Fred Ulrich had received a fair education in his native state and after coming to Nebraska was chiefly occupied in helping his father to cultivate and improve his land. He has followed farming all his life, and is counted one of the progressive, intelligent operators of his locality. He now operates the home place on his own account.
He is interested in every movement that is calculated to advance the general welfare and prosperity and has many friends throughout the county, where he is well known.
G. E. FREIBERG.
Among the younger "old settlers," if one may use the apparently contradictory term, of Stanton county may be mentioned the name of the above gentleman, who is a prominent farmer and stockraiser of the community.
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by T&C Miller, P Ebel, P Shipley, L Cook