FRANK POCHOP, JUNIOR.
Frank Pochop is a prominent and much respected resident of Pierce county, Nebraska, and owns and resides on a farm in the east half of the northwest quarter of section twenty-one, township twenty-eight, range three.
Mr. Pochop was born October 9, 1870, in Bohemia, and is the son of Frank and Barbara (Panas) Pochop, who were both born and raised in Bohemia.
Our subject's parents came to America in 1871, locating in Saunders county, Nebraska, where they homesteaded eighty acres of land, walking the entire distance, thirty-five miles, to their claim, from Fremont. They lived first in a dugout, later erected a sod house, and finally a frame dwelling. The family experienced all the privations and hardships of the early pioneer days, hauling their grain to Fremont, the nearest market place, by oxen, with which their early farming was done, horses being too expensive for the earliest settlers.
Mr. Pochop's father came to Pierce county in 1892, where he purchased four hundred and eighty acres of good land, which he later divided between his sons.
Frank Pochop was married to Miss Anna Vachal in 1896, the result of this union being six children, whose names are as follows: Frank, Anna, Otto, Lizzie, Emil and Lydia.
Mr. Pochop is a member of the C. Z. B. J. lodge, and also of the Modern Woodmen of America. In politics he is independent, voting for whom he considers the best man.
CHRISTEN A. CHRISTIANSEN.
Prominent among the large number of sturdy Danes who have left everything they held dear in their native land to seek their fortunes in an entirely strange country, is the gentleman whose name heads this personal history. Mr. Christiansen was born October 11, 1848, and is a son of Mogens C. and Annie Christiansen. They had a family of five children, Christen being the second in order of birth. He remained at home until his twenty-third year, following farming in Denmark, then came to America alone, his first stopping place being northern Michigan, where he worked in the copper mines for one year. From there he went to Illinois, settled on a farm and worked it for three years. He spent several months in traveling through the different states, coming to Kearney county, Nebraska, in the Spring of 1876, where he took up a homestead and lived on it for about eight years, engaging in farming and stock raising. He then sold out and removed to Minden, securing a good position with a leading hardware firm for whom he worked twelve years as a tinner.
Mr. Christiansen came to Howard county in the spring of 1901, purchasing eighty acres of choice land on the tableland, situated in section fourteen, township thirteen, range twelve, which he developed into a fine farm, completely equipped, with substantial buildings, etc., and is regarded as one of the well-to-do and progressive agriculturalists of his locality.
Mr. Christiansen was married at Minden, Nebraska, in 1862, to Annie Blase, who was born in Copenhagen, Denmark, and came to America with her parents in 1870. Our subject's parents also came to this country and took up a homestead in Kearney county, near their son's farm there, and were among the pioneers of that region. The father died there in 1906, at the advanced age of eighty years. His wife had passed away in 1890.
Mr. and Mrs. Christiansen have had eleven children, four now being dead and the remaining ones named as follows: Oswald, married and living in Howard county; Clara, wife of Carl Hanson, residing in Boelus; while Nora, Etta, Amy, Walter and Nannie are at home. Our subject and his family are popular in their community, and actively interested in local and county affairs.
Among the old settlers who have watched the growth and development of central Nebraska from the early pioneer days, who have taken an active part in its history from the very beginning and helped to advance its commercial and agricultural industries, the gentleman above named, holds a foremost place. Mr. Hansen resides on section eleven, township eighteen, range fifteen, in Valley county.
Chris Hansen was born in the village of Friedensberg, near Copenhagen, province of Sealand, Denmark, February 19, 1840, where he received his education and grew to his manhood years. He served in the army from the spring of 1862 to the fall of 1864, and during this time participated in the war with Russia. In 1868 he came to America, sailing from Hamburg to New York in the "Cymbria," which was lost on its next trip. He came west and first located in Dodge county, Nebraska, several years later taking up a homestead in Saunders county. He came to Valley county in 1882, purchasing the west half of section eleven, township eighteen, range fifteen, which was railroad land, and this is still his residing place; here he has a good home and a fine grain and stock farm.
Mr. Hansen was united in marriage to Miss Christine Hansen in Denmark in March, 1868. Mr. and Mrs. Hansen have five children living, whose names are as follows: Henry, of whom mention is made elsewhere in this work; Carl, Annie, who is the wife of Andrew Johnson and lives in Cherry county, Nebraska; William and Louie.
Mr. Hansen is indeed one of the very first old settlers of eastern Nebraska, he having come to Dodge county forty-four years ago when this region was but an open, unbroken prairie, inhabited by Indians and wild game. Few people have had the honor and opportunity to have seen so many years of Nebraska life and the ever evoluting changes which time brings from the sod dugout in which the family first lived to a comfortable farm dwelling with good barns and outbuildings protected by orchards and groves.
Andreas Schwank of Madison, Nebraska, until recently an implement dealer, was one of the substantial business men of that place. He is a man of sterling citizenship who has met with deserved success in his business ventures, and commands the respect and confidence of all with whom he comes in contact in a business or social way.
Andreas Schwank, son of George and Margaret (Ammer) Schwank, was born in Widenburg province, Germany, April 8, 1860, and was the seventh in a family of nine children, six boys and three girls. Mr. Schwank has one brother who resides one mile west of Madison, Nebraska; one brother in Platte county, Nebraska; one brother in Springfield, Missouri; and one sister in Omaha, Nebraska; two brothers died in Germany, and two sisters died in America. His father died in 1894, and his mother in 1882.
In the spring of 1868, our subject came with his father and family to America, locating in Kankakee county, Illinois, for one year, and in May of 1869, they moved to Madison county, Nebraska, where the father, George Schwank, homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land in the southeast quarter of section twenty-three, township twenty-one, range two, west, which remained the home place until 1885, when he retired and moved to Madison, where he lived until the time of his death. Andreas Schwank lived on his father's farm until 1888, when he went to Madison where he engaged in different enterprises.
On September 17, 1889, Mr. Schwank was joined in wedlock to Miss Doretta Clausen, of Madison county, Nebraska, this union resulting in the birth of three children, named as follows: Manferd, Hilda and Doretta, all of whom are living under the parental roof. Mrs. Schwank died December 4, 1895, survived by her husband and three children.
In the earlier days, Mr. Schwank was president of the Madison Hook and Ladder company, and was an active member of the company for eighteen years.
On February 14, 1897, Mr. Schwank was again married, to Sophia Stolle, of Madison county, Nebraska. They have one child, Selma J.
Mr. Schwank passed through all the trying experiences and hardships of the early pioneer and is widely and favorably known. He well remembers the early days of Madison county, when the nearest postoffice was thirty-five miles away, at Columbus, Nebraska, and from which place they bought all their provision.
One of the prominent old settlers of Sherman county, Nebraska, is the gentleman whose name heads this biographical sketch. When but a young man, he showed his love of country by enlisting and serving for three years during the civil war. He gained an enviable war record, and was afterwards for a time in business in Taylorville, Illinois. Since that time he has made a name for himself in Sherman county as a successful farmer, and is now a resident of Loup City, having retired from active management of his estate.
Mr. Shetler was born in Ohio, on May 29, 1834, and was the fifth in a family of ten children born to Henry and Mary Hammel Shetler. Of this large family, only five are left, two sisters in Indiana, one brother in Illinois, one in Sioux county, Nebraska, and the subject of this sketch. The father, Henry Schutlar, as the name was originally spelled, was a veteran of the war of 1812, and was born in Pennsylvania, of German descent; he died in 1867 in Illinois. The mother, Mary Hammel before marriage, of Scotch-Irish descent, was also a native of Pennsylvania; she passed away in New Philadelphia, Ohio, in 1887.
Our subscriber received his limited education in the local schools of his native state; and in his young manhood learned wagon and carriage making, working at his trade in Ohio, until 1857, when he went to Illinois for a short time. Later, he went to Keosauqua, Iowa, and during his residence there, he was married on February 8, 1858, to Miss Matilda A. Hunt, a native of Pennsylvania. He went next to Huntsville, Randolph county, Missouri, and after four years residence in this state, the family came to Taylorville, Illinois. This was at the outbreak of the civil war, and the Missourians at that time being intolerant, his life was in danger, as his sympathies were with the north. Being a fine marksman, his neighbors stood somewhat in awe of him in a fair fight, but they were treacherous and apt to kill in the night.
In August, 1862, Mr. Shetler enlisted in Company A, One Hundred and Fifteenth Illinois Volunteers, and served until the close of the war, being mustered out at Camp Harker, Tennessee, in June, 1865. He was in a number of decisive engagements and during the winter of 1863-64 and being one of the finest mechanics in the army, was engaged in building pontoons at Nashville, Tennessee.
After the war was over, he returned to Illinois and engaged in the manufacture of the famous Schutlar carriages and wagons and until
the spring of 1883, when he came to Sherman county, Nebraska, and took up a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres in sections twenty and twenty-one, township fifteen, range sixteen, and this homestead was his home for many years. At the same time, he also took a timber claim of like acreage near the homestead. He still owns the original three hundred and twenty acres.
On April 27, 1887, our subscriber was united in marriage to Mrs. Martha Rouse, who was a native of Tennessee, but grew up in the state of Illinois. They have but one child, Walter, who is married and living on the old Shetler homestead.
In June, 1906, Mr. Shetler retired from active labor and removed to Loup City, where he has built a comfortable home, and where he is now enjoying the results of his early toil. He is a man of much native ability and is respected by all who know him. He has considerable artistic talent and has executed many fine pieces of furniture and wood carving, heads of dogs, deer, lions, and other animals. For many years he has served as a member of the school board in his home district and has also held office as justice of the peace. In politics Mr. Shetler has been successively republican, populist and democrat. He is a member of the Masonic lodge and chapter at Taylorville, never having transferred his membership. For over sixty-five years he has been a member of the Methodist Episcopal church.
Mr. Shetler first lived in a dugout with a sod front, the most primitive residence of the pioneers. At the time of his residence in Missouri, during the fifties, deer were plentiful on the Charitan river. On coming to Nebraska he killed one while on a trip to the Dismal River Valley. Often the family camped in that region to gather the wild fruit that grows there in profusion. While there they occasionally saw mountain lions, lynx and grey wolves, but were never molested by them.
JUDGE ENSINE S. MILLER.
The advent of Judge E. S. Miller, of Randolph, to Nebraska, dates from February 28, 1889, when he purchased a farm in Pierce county known as the Suckstorf ranch, two and a half miles west of Randolph. This he cultivated until the spring of 1898, when he rented the land and moved into Randolph to make his home. He purchased a cottage home in the south part of town and here takes life easy, as one may when life's work has been well done. Being still energetic and thrifty, he cannot endure idleness, so has asked and received at the hands of his fellow citizens the office of justice of the peace, which he has efficiently filled for the past eight years.
Mr. Miller was born in Wyoming county, New York, June 24, 1836, and lived in that state until his mother's death in 1850, since which time he has made his own way in the world and with creditable success. Coming west he found work at Neenah, Wisconsin, nearly one year, and went thence to Du Page county, Illinois, and while here met the girl whom he found indispensable, and for whom he later returned to make his wife. He retraced his steps to his native state and later found work in Ohio; he traveled from time to time into seventeen states and in sixteen of them sojourned for a longer or shorter time. After his marriage in 1861, he settled down in Du Page county and opened a shoe store in Wheaton; after the Chicago fire many of the big printing houses of the city came out to Wheaton to establish temporary plants, and one of these catching fire, burned along with a part of Wheaton's business district, including Mr. Miller's store. He came to Vinton, Benton county, Iowa, in 1872, and was in farming there for seventeen years, moving thence to Pierce county, Nebraska, as before stated.
Mr. Miller is a son of Simeon B. and Julia Ann (Gates) Miller; the father, who died when Mr. Miller was quite young, was a native of the town of Sharon, Litchfield county, Connecticut, whence he moved to New York; the mother was born in Connecticut, of Scotch descent.
Mr. Miller was married near Wheaton, Illinois, January 1, 1861, to Sarah, daughter of Isaac, and Ruth (Wright) Woodward, the former from Connecticut, the latter a native of Rutland county, Vermont. Mrs. Miller was born in Du Page county, Illinois, to which locality her parents emigrated in 1849, settling near Wheaton. The father died at the age of sixty-eight, and the mother attained the goodly span of seventy-seven years. Mr. and Mrs. Miller are the parents of four daughters: Vina, wife of Ed. A. Barkdoll of Longmont, Colorado; where the parents visited them in the summer of 1910; Julia, a very successful teacher of music until her marriage to Oran McCrary in 1891, was left a widow in 1897, and in 1910 married Walter S. Hamilton, and resides in Randolph; Carrie, a former teacher in the Randolph schools, married Daniel Kerr, who died in 1910, and resides in Randolph; Blanche was a successful teacher in Cedar and Pierce counties until her marriage in 1911 to William Ranard, and lives near Randolph.
The blizzard of January 12, 1888, extended into Iowa, and though severe, was not so bad as to prevent Mr. Miller attending to his stock. Unlike many of the early comers to the west, Mr. and Mrs. Miller never found it necessary to live in a log or sod house, a comfortable frame dwelling having always fallen to their lot; nor did they ever have to move by covered wagon, railroads having penetrated to the region in which they settled prior to their coming.
It is pleasant to know that after a life of industry and economy Mr. Miller is enabled to live in comfort in his declining years. Mr. Miller is a republican in politics, having supported the principles of that party since its organization.
LUTELLUS L. FRAZER.
Lutellus L. Frazer, of Central City, Nebraska, is widely known as an earnest and reliable citizen, and a man who is to be relied upon and trusted.
Mr. Frazer was born in Pennsylvania, May 21, 1836. the son of Alexander and Amy (Long) Frazer, being the eldest of nine children, and is now the only one living. His father died in August, 1871, and the mother in 1891, both in Pennsylvania.
Mr. Frazer received his education in the home schools, and later carried on tailoring. On June 27, 1861, he enlisted in Company B, Twenty-eighth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war, receiving his discharge July 17, 1865, in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. Mr. Frazer's first term of enlistment expired in December, 1863, and immediately re-enlisted and veteranized in the same company and regiment. Decisive battles engaged in were at Chancelorville, Virginia, Antietam, Gettysburg, Lookout Mountain, Atlanta campaign, march to the sea with Sherman, through the Carolinas to Washington with Sherman, and many minor engagements and skirmishes. He participated in the Grand Review at Washington in June, 1865. At one time he was taken prisoner while scouting and held for three weeks in Virginia. After war Mr. Frazer returned to his home state and engaged in mercantile business for ten years, then followed farming for three years.
On July 4, 1867, Mr. Frazer was united in matrimony to Miss Eliza J. Newmyer, of Pennsylvania. In March, of 1878, our subject came with his wife and family to Merrick county, Nebraska, where he homesteaded eighty acres in section twenty-six, township fourteen, range seven, seven miles northwest of Central City, which remained the home place until 1908, when Mr. Frazer retired from the farm and moved to Central City and purchased a good home where they now live. Mr. Frazer served in various offices of his school district number twenty-six nearly all through his Nebraska years. Mr. and Mrs. Frazer have had four children: Howard M., lost in the first rush to the Klondike gold fields; Jessie M., wife of C. K. Sinsel has eight children, and lives four miles west of Central City; John N., resides in Basin, Wyoming; and Arthur L., married, has three children, and lives five and a half miles northwest of Central City.
Mr. and Mrs. Frazer are among the early settlers of Merrick county, have passed through all the trying experiences and hardships incident to pioneer life, and are widely and favorably known. They are both members of the Baptist church and Mr. Frazer is a member of Buford Post Grand Army of the Republic of Central City. He is a republican in politics.
JOSEPH H. BARKER.
Few men remain in the west who have seen it in as early a stage of its development, or as many phases of its varied career, as the venerable Joseph H. Barker, and, after the storm and stress of a lifetime on the plains, still retain their faculties as little impaired as he. He has reached nearly four score years, most of his career spent on the frontier, where he has experienced every vicissitude of the pioneer in the west.
Joseph H. Barker was born in Russia, Herkimer county, New York state, on September 10, 1832, and is a son of Oliver and Ruth (Hubbard) Barker, the former killed by lightning when Joseph was but four years of age. Mrs. Barker married again, and in 1844 the family emigrated west, locating in Wisconsin, where they took up their residence in the primeval forest thirty-five miles from Milwaukee, The journey from. the east was made by wagon and was necessarily long and tedious. The family, with the exception of Joseph remained in Wisconsin during the balance of their lives. Our subject lived with his mother until he reached the age of fifteen, then went to Milwaukee to make his own way. He had two dollars and fifty cents in his pockets, given him, by his mother, which was all the money he had in the world, and all that his mother and a stepsister could obtain. On reaching his destination he secured work on a lake vessel plying the great lakes during the summer season, and in the high seas through the winter, remaining at this work for five years.
The year 1853 he spent with his mother in Wisconsin, and the following spring struck out for the west, locating at Mankato, Minnesota, where he clerked in a hotel for a time, afterwards becoming proprietor of a billiard hall, continuing as such until the call to arms in 1861. He enlisted at Fort Snelling, Minnesota, on November 25, of that year, in Company B, Brackett's Minnesota Battalion of Cavalry, which was later consolidated with Company I, Fifth Iowa Cavalry, and they were mustered out in December, 1863, but re-enlisted as veterans at Pulaski Tennessee, on January 1, 1864, serving continuously up to June, 1866. Brackett's Brigade saw the longest term of service of any company sent out of Minnesota, and, so far as is known, longer than any body of troops from any of the states during the war. The regiment was formed of battalions from Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska and Missouri. They proceeded to Benton Barracks at St. Louis, and were soon sent to the front, reaching Fort Henry the day after it was reduced by the gunboats. They participated in the fights around Fort Donaldson, and were in three engagements, followed by the battles of Pittsburg Landing, Siege of Corinth, Lockbridge Mills, and the Tullahoma Campaign, before they were ordered to the northwest to subdue the Indians in 1864. Major Brackett's Battalion was ordered
to join General Sully at Sioux City, marching across the country from Fort Snelling to the rendesvous [sic]. From Fort Randall spuads [sic], were detailed to the various settlements for protection against the redskins, and later Mr. Barker was one of the detachment in which were the first white men to cross the Bad Lands to the Yellowstone river. On starting, they were accompanied by thirty friendly Indians as scouts, and were attacked by hostile tribes, who killed a number of their company including the chief scout. After three days of privation, much of the time without water for themselves or their mounts, they came into the valley of the Yellowstone, where they were cheered by the whistle of a steamboat which had been sent from Sioux City up the river to bring them supplies. In 1865 their campaign extended as far west as Devil's Lake, returning to Fort Union, and in the spring of 1866 they marched back to Fort Snelling, receiving honorable discharge from the service on June 1, of that year.
In 1868 Mr. Barker went to Fort Randall and secured a clerkship with the military traders, Hamilton & Thompson, remaining with them until they lost their franchise, when he obtained a similar position with John W. Smith, an Indian trader, and filled it for two and a half years. They did business with the Spotted Tail Sioux, (now known as the Rosebud Indians), at Whetstone. When Mr. Smith also lost his franchise, our subject moved to Springfield, South Dakota, and kept a hotel for about one year, then followed farming for about the same length of time near the town. In 1874 he secured a franchise for trading with the Indians at the Santee Agency, and for eleven years operated the store and postoffice at that point. He had previously taken an allotment of land under the Indian rights through his wife's relationship with the Sioux tribe, and stocked it with horses, cattle and hogs. On this tract he erected a substantial dwelling, costing $1,500, and his family occupied it while he ran the store. On resigning his rights at the Santee Agency he joined them, remaining on the place and accumulating considerable property, up to 1905, at which time he bought a comfortable cottage in Verdel. This he has improved with shrubbery and flowers, having beautiful lawns, etc., and is prepared to enjoy the remaining years of his life in peace and plenty.
Mr. Barker was married at Fort Randall on October 9, 1871, to Miss Fannie Tackett, who was born at Fort Laramie, and is a daughter of George L. Tackett, a native of Kentucky, of French descent, while her mother was of French and Indian blood. Mr. and Mrs. Barker have four living children: William J., engaged in the real estate business at Gregory, South Dakota; Mabel, wife of Charles Black, living in South Dakota also; Maude, wife of E. J. Dunlap; and Byron J., well know dealer in horses residing in Tripp county, South Dakota. He is an expert judge of horses, also a master of them, and secured first prize in a roping contest held in his vicinity in 1910.
Mr. Barker is a democrat, and is a member of the Grand Army of the Republic Post at Niobrara.
It is now over thirty-eight years since William Foster became a resident of Merrick county, Nebraska, and since that time he has been prominently assocciated [sic] with agricultural interests of this part of the state, and as an old settler and one of its worthy citizens he is prominently known.
William Foster is a son of Alexander P. and Mary (Crawford) Foster. He was born in Abbeville county, South Carolina, September 20, 1828, and was the eldest of nine children; he has one sister residing in Sparta, Illinois, and another in Denver, Colorado. His father died February 11, 1871, and the mother died in July, 1907, at the advanced age of ninety-eight years, eight months and six days, both having passed away in Sparta, Illinois. Mr. Foster went with his people to Illinois, where his father engaged in the mercantile business at Sparta, and here our subject received his education in the common schools; and later engaged in farming.
On January 18, 1849, Mr. Foster was united in Marriage to Miss Nancy L. McDonald, also of, South Carolina, who was born February 13, 1827. Mr. and Mrs. Foster have had five children, two of whom are living: John P., married, has two children and lives in Clarks, Nebraska; James L., married, has ten children and lives in Oregon; William T., deceased in 1873, at the age of eighteen years; Alexander P., died September 24, 1858; and Alva S., died April 28, 1862.
On August 13, 1862, Mr. Foster enlisted in Company G, Eightieth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, serving until the close of the war. He participated in many of the most decisive battles of the war, among them being the following: Perryville, Kentucky, October 8, 1862; Milton Heights, Godsden, Alabama, May 2, 1863; Sand Mountain, Day's Gap, Alabama, April 30, 1863; Look Out Mountain, Kenesaw Mountain, (in which battle Mr. Foster was wounded); Gallatin, Knoxville, Rocky Place, and Nashville. Mr. Foster's regiment was surrendered by Colonel Straight as prisoners of war to Brigadier General Forest at Cedar Bluffs. Alabama, May 3, 1863. They were prisoners of war for about eighteen days, then parolled and went home for a few days, when they were exchanged and reported for duty at St. Louis, Missouri. Mr. Poster received an honorable discharge at Camp Harker, Tennessee, June 10, 1865.
After the war Mr. Foster returned to Illi-
nois and again engaged in farming. In the fall of 1873, with his family, he came to Merrick county, Nebraska, homesteading one hundred and sixty acres of land in section twenty-eight, township fifteen, range eight, which remained his place for eleven years; and then moved on to another farm which he had purchased in the meantime, just north of Palmer. In May of 1886, Mr. Foster retired from farm life and moved to Central City and purchased a home in the southwest part of town, where they lived until April, 1908, when they moved to their present home.
It seldom occurs that two people have traversed together the road of this earthly life so many years, live to enjoy their later days together, and it is surely ideal to pass one's last years surrounded by one's helpmeet, children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren. Mr. and Mrs. Foster have passed their sixty-second wedding anniversary, and they have seven great grandchildren. They are widely known and beloved by all.
Mr. and Mrs. Foster are members of the Methodist Episcopal church. Mr. Foster is a member of Buford Post Grand Army of the Republic and his wife belongs to the Women's Relief Corps. Portraits of this worthy couple will be found on another page of this volume.
Mr. and Mrs. William Foster.
CHARLES H. DAVIS.
Charles H. Davis, deceased, was one of Nance county's early settlers and worthy citizens who have done their full share in the building up of that region, using liberally his money and influence to make of it a thriving agricultural section.
Mr. Davis was born in Albia, Iowa, July 20, 1853, and was a son of William and Ellen Davis who were pioneers in that state, and raised their family there. He received a good education, pursuing the study of law in his young manhood, and afterwards practicing his profession in Iowa. In March, 1881, he married Elizabeth Allen, also a native of the state of Iowa, the event occurring at the home of the bride's mother, at Newton, Iowa, and they made that vicinity their home up to 1887. At that time, accompanied by his wife and two sons they came to Nance county, Nebraska. They settled on a ranch and remained for five years, then located in Fullerton, where Mr. Davis purchased a residence. He at first ran a grocery store, and later opened a mercantile establishment, continuing up to 1902, when owing to ill health he was obliged to retire from active labor.
Mr. Davis departed this life on March 31, 1904, leaving a competence for his family, and his demise was deeply mourned by a large circle of acquaintances. He was well known in public life both in Nebraska and Iowa, having held various offices while living in the latter state, serving as mayor of Chariton, Iowa, for one term, also was city clerk and deputy county clerk.
Mr. Davis was survived by his wife and three children, named as follows: William A., Tom B. and Karl P., the first and last mentioned living with their mother in the old homestead at Fullerton, while Tom B., an attorney, is deputy county treasurer of Nance county. Mrs. Davis' father is dead, but her mother is still living at the advanced age of eighty-three years. The Davis' family located in Iowa in 1845, at which time that state was in the early stages of settlement, and they were among the prominent pioneers. Their family consisted of two girls and six boys. Mrs. Davis' sister now living in Iowa, four brothers in that state, one in Nebraska, and another at Atlanta, Georgia. The parents of our subject, were charter members of, the Methodist Episcopal church at Chariton, Iowa, which church has been rebuilt three times since its organization. The mother of Mr. Davis, at the age of seventy years, wrote a complete history of the church, and this book was published and eagerly read by the old residents of the locality.
PETER H. ANDERSEN.
Peter H. Andersen, postmaster of Naper, is the eldest of a family of sturdy, energetic brothers who have been well and favorably known in Boyd county since prior to the organization of that political division of the state. John is a merchant of Naper, of whom a sketch appears on another page of this work; and William holds the contract for carrying the mail between Naper and the railroad at St. Charles, South Dakota.
Peter H. Andersen was born near the city of Schleswig, in the province of that name, now a part of the German Empire, on May 19, 1859, and up to the time of his emigration to the states, was almost continuously in school. Sailing from Hamburg in 1879, he landed, after a voyage of two weeks, in New York and came on to Benton county, Iowa. He came in advance of his parents who followed with the remaining children in the spring of 1880. For several years Peter found work in Benton county, and about 1882 went to California, working in a number of cities through. out the state, but most of the time in San Francisco, where he was employed for several years on the street railway.
In 1888 Mr. Andersen rejoined his home folks, who had in the meantime migrated to Holt county, Nebraska. Here for four years he farmed the abandoned fields of settlers who had become discouraged and left their farms to return to the prairies from which they had but recently been broken. In 1892 he crossed the Niobrara and filed, on a homestead claim three miles south of Naper; this proved to be school land and had to be abandoned, so he bought the relinquishment of a
quarter section five miles west of town, and in two years commuted, securing a title to the land. During these years he worked at the blacksmith's trade and dealt in implements, driving into town in the morning and returning at night.
He lived in the country until 1901, when, having been elected sheriff of the county, he moved to Butte and lived there for four years. On March 8, 1907, he moved to Naper and opened a general store, which he sold in 1908. He had been appointed postmaster while in the store, and since 1908 has given his entire attention to the duties of his official position.
Mr. Andersen was married in Belle Plaine, Iowa, December 25, 1884, to Miss Mary Schmidt, daughter of Clause Schmidt, who emigrated from Schleswig-Holstein with his family to America. Of nine children born to Mr. and Mrs. Andersen, seven are living. They are: John, George, Ernest, Clarence, Alma, Gertrude, and Gladys.
Mr. Andersen has had a somewhat more varied experience than the usual settler in the west, for in addition to prairie fires, blizzards, hailstorms and tornadoes, he was living near the track of the cyclone that passed down Keya Paha Valley. Two of his brother's children, besides five others, were lost in the storm and many were injured, and the latter he helped rescue and attend until their recovery. Like most of the early settlers, Mr. Andersen has lived in a sod house, and later had a frame addition built to it, hauling the lumber from Stuart, thirty-five miles across the prairies.
Mr. Andersen has all the qualities that go to make the westerner a companionable, loveable [sic] man. He is generous, broad in his views, cordial and public-spirited; the type of man of which the western country may be proud.
Mr. Andersen is a republican in politics, and a member of the Independent Order of Odd Fellows and the Ancient Order of United Workmen.
This gentleman was for many years an agriculturalist of prominence in Boone county, owning a fine farm in Oakland precinct, but is now retired from active labor and lives with his charming family in Petersburg, where he enjoys a pleasant home and is surrounded by every comfort and convenience of modern life. He has always been a man of untiring energy, and through industry and economy has built up a valuable property, now being classed among the eminently successful men of that part of Nebraska.
Ira Whipple is the sixth child in the family of Philip and Sally Whipple, to whom eight were born. He first saw the light on September 6, 1833, The mother died in 1852, and her husband survived her by eleven years. His early childhood was spent in New York state, the place of his birth being Cattaraugus county, and in 1842 the entire family settled in Indiana, where he received a common school education, later engaging in farming there. When he was about twenty-one years of age he returned to New York state, followed farming there for two years, then went to Wisconsin and started to farm. He was married there, in Monroe county, on August 28, 1859, to Lucy Hazen, who was reared in that state, and the young pair made that their home for several years, moving into Minnesota in 1864, in April of that year Mr. Whipple enlisting in Company I, First Minnesota Regiment of Infantry, and serving until the close of the war. He took part in many famous battles and minor skirmishes, saw hard service, and was discharged from the army in July, 1865, at Jeffersonville, Indiana.
After leaving the army, Mr. Whipple returned to Minnesota and followed farming up to 1868, then returned to Wisconsin with his family, remaining up to 1872, when he came to Boone county, Nebraska. He made the trip with a team and wagon, driving across the plains the entire distance, the journey consuming five weeks, and while on the road their fourth son, Claude, was born.
Mr. Whipple homesteaded on section thirty, township twenty-two, range seven, which tract remained the home place for twenty years. He also took up a timber claim of one hundred and sixty acres and proved up on it. In 1892 he sold the homestead and purchased a quarter section of railroad land situated five miles west of Petersburg, this being their home for the following ten years, at which time our subject retired from active farm life and moved to Petersburg, purchasing a good home in which he now lives.
Mr. and Mrs. Whipple had ten children, nine of whom are now living: Francis M., Casper W., Laura E., Charles H., Curtis C., Claude E., Fred H., Ethel M., Erwin R., and Ida C. Laura E. died in 1900; the others all live in Nebraska except Casper W., who is in Colorado. Mrs. Whipple died January 7, 1910.
Our subject is classed among the very earliest settlers of his county, well remembering when antelope and deer ranged at will on the Nebraska plains. He helped in a large measure to produce the prosperity enjoyed in that region at the present time, and well merits the success and esteem which is accorded him. In the early years Mr. Whipple served as director of school district number eighteen for a good many years.
A representative citizen of northeastern Nebraska is James Stephens, who has occupied his present farm on section eighteen, township twenty-seven, range two, since 1885. Mr. Stephens may reasonably be counted as one of the pioneers of the county, and he has always borne his
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by T&C Miller, P Ebel, P Shipley, L Cook