house, and has built two sod houses on this place. He has since improved and developed the place, putting up substantial buildings, and has a valuable and comfortable home.
On March 25, 1872, Mr. Wiltshire was united in holy matrimony to Miss Elizabeth King, a native of Wabash county, Indiana, and Mr. and Mrs. Wiltshire are the parents of six children, named as follows: Temperance J., wife of Freeman Bain, they having two children; Dolly, deceased in 1899; George, who died in 1881; Susie, wife of Henry Montgomery, has three children; Tillie, who is married to Albert Lewis, has four boys; and Daisy, wife of Gustave Harbottle, has one child.
Mr. Wiltshire, after many years of hard labor to build up his home, is now prepared to enjoy the remaining years of his life in peace and comfort, surrounded by a host of good friends and acquaintances.
Mrs. Wiltshire's father, Samuel King, served in the Civil war in Company E, Forty-seventh Volunteer Infantry, in General Grant's division. He enlisted in 1861 and re-enlisted in 1864, as a blacksmith, receiving his discharge in 1865. Among his war experiences, Mr. King was captured by the enemy, but escaped. Mrs. Wiltshire's mother was Lucinda (May) King, who was born in Virginia in 1831.
JOHN COLLIER, JR.
The Colliers have been identified with affairs in Custer county for over thirty years, and during that time have been representative of its best interests. John Collier, junior, was born on Bonnington farm, Pebleshire, Scotland, February 23,1862, the oldest son of John and Janet (Todd) Collier, and accompanied his parents to America. They sailed from Glasgow on the "Nevada" April 25, 1879, and reached Lincoln, Nebraska, May 9. They resided here for three years, becoming original homesteaders of Custer county in the fall of 1882. The father was born in Scotland, June 18, 1840, and Janet Todd, also a native of that country, was born in 1839. They were married there, December 31, 1860, and to them were born eight children, two of whom died in infancy. The parents brought their six children to the United States in 1879, settling near Lincoln, Nebraska, in May of that year. He had been connected with woolen mills in his native country but on coming to Nebraska leased land and engaged in farming. In the summer of 1882 he came to Custer county, and secured a homestead on the northeast quarter of section nineteen, township seventeen, range seventeen, filing his entry at Grand Island. In the fall of the same year, his son, John, came to the. homestead, and the year after, the rest of the family followed. The parents were of sturdy Scotch families, energetic, good, reliable citizens in every respect, and they did their full share in the early upbuilding of the region. Mrs. Collier died on the home farm December 10, 1897, and Mr. Collier passed away February 14, 1908. They were of the true pioneer spirit and were respected and esteemed by all.
John Collier, the eldest son mentioned above, still resides on the northwest quarter of the homestead farm and is a man of independent mind and industry, who has made a success of farming and stock raising and who has made his way in the world by his own efforts. He has remained on his farm throughout the early days of trial and adversity and now owns a splendid farm of eight hundred acres, being an extensive feeder and shipper of stock. The farm is in sections eighteen and nineteen, township seventeen, range seventeen; and sections thirteen and twenty-four, township seventeen, range eighteen. He was married to Miss Constance J. Marsh, at the home of her parents in Custer county, December 28, 1891. The Marsh family are among the highly respected pioneer families of the county. Three children have been born to Mr. Collier and wife, of whom two now survive: John F. and Pearl Jane, both at home. Mr. Collier has followed the noble example of his parents in his character and actions and has a high standing in his community. He and his wife are prominent in all affairs effecting the general welfare and prosperity of the community. Mr. Collier is a republican in politics and a member of the Modern Woodmen of America.
The three sisters of John Collier, subject of this sketch, were: Janet, the third child of the family, married A. H. Pester; Elizabeth, the fifth child, married John Garniss, and the other sister, Margaret, married E. W. Pester. All live in Custer county except Mrs. E. W. Pester, who lives in Arcadia, Valley county. The two brothers, William, the second child, and David the fourth, also residents of Custer county, are given mention elsewhere in this work.
JAMES M. HOLMES.
The gentleman whose name heads this personal history was probably one of the best known and best loved of the residents of Merrick county, Nebraska. He had resided in this region since 1872, and was one of the first settlers here, watching the growth, and aiding in the development of the commercial interests of his community from its earliest beginning.
James M. Holmes was born in Jefferson county, Ohio, June 18, 1837, a son of James and Frances (Pierce) Holmes, the former born in Pennsylvania, the latter in Maryland; both died in Illinois. He was sixth in a family of nine children, two sisters of whom reside in Illinois, two brothers in Kansas, the others being deceased. Mr. Holmes received his education in the home schools, and later engaged in farming. In the summer of 1862 Mr. Holmes en-
listed in the army for three months. Just as his first term of enlistment expired he was taken prisoner at Harpers Ferry and paroled after which he went home and engaged in mercantile business in Athens county, Ohio. In the spring of 1864, he re-enlisted in Company D, One Hundred and Seventy-fourth Ohio Volunteer Infantry, and received his discharge, June 28, 1865. After the war, he returned to Ohio, and on November 27, 1866, was married to Margaret Kerr, also a native of Ohio. Her parents were David and Alice (Crawford) Kerr; both born in Pennsylvania, and both died in Ohio. About this time, our subject began conducting a general merchandise store in Highland county, Ohio.
In the spring of 1872, Mr. Holmes came with his wife and one son to Merrick county, Nebraska, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres five miles north of Chapman, which remained the home place until 1893, when Mr. Holmes retired from the farm and moved to Chapman and built a good home where he lived until the time of his death, April 26, 1903, survived by his wife and two children: Anson K., editor, who is married and resides in Perkins county, Nebraska, and has two children; and Blanche, wife of Hooker Barker, lives in Merrick county.
Mr. Holmes was prosperous and successful, and owned two hundred and forty acres of fine farming land, as well as good city property. He served some years on the board of school district number twenty-six, and was a, man who always took all interest in the upbuilding of his state and county. Mrs. Holmes lives with her daughter, Mrs. Barker, surrounded by a large circle of friends. Portraits of Mr. and Mrs. Holmes will be found on another page of this work.
James M. Holmes.
Mrs. James M. Holmes.
Theodor Raubach, another of the energetic and prosperous farmers of Pierce township in the county of that name, has acquired a fine farm by dint of good management and perseverance, owing five hundred and twenty acres in various tracts. He is all old settler of that region, and has gained hundreds of friends in his home community.
Mr. Raubach is a native of the province of Rhine, Prussia, born on November 26, 1840, in the village of Stoszdorf. He served in the German army his allotted time, and was called into active service as a soldier during that country's short war with Denmark in 1864, and Austria in 1866.
On August 4, 1866, he took passage on the "Theresa," a Russian sailing vessel, and after a voyage of seventeen days, landed in New York, Coming directly west and locating in Wisconsin. He obtained employment at Hurricane, working in the hotel and livery barn through one winter and later was with John Austin, a mill builder in the lumber woods.
Mr. Raubach came to Nebraska in March, 1868, stopping in Stanton county, and remaining for a few days. He finally selected the northeast quarter of section one, township twenty-five, range two, as a homestead, and going to Dakota City where he filed his application, returned to Wisconsin, paying his last dollar to cross the river at Council Bluffs, and being obliged to work his way to his destination. He came back to Nebraska and started to build up his farm, using drift logs for his shanty, and extended his hospitality to all who were settling in the locality and needed shelter until their shanties were built. He was kind to the Indians who traveled the plains, feeding them whenever they asked for food, and they soon made this their stopping place.
Mr. Raubach has passed through every form of pioneer existence, going through grasshopper raids, etc. His first crop of wheat he hauled to Omaha, receiving one dollar and seventy-five cents per bushel for it. He was at that time given credit for one hundred and fifty dollars worth of provisions, which he paid for out of his next crop. He prospered wonderfully, and, now has over three hundred acres under cultivation, his farm is supplied with good buildings of all kinds and he is classed among the wealthy men of his vicinity.
Mr. Raubach was married in 1876, to Barbara Sukup, and to them have been born eight children: Joseph and John, who are the father's helpers on the farm; Henry, now teaching in the Sioux City schools; Frederick, of Valentine; Elizabeth, Frank, Martha and Cora, all in school in Pierce. The family are popular in their community, and all are members of the Catholic church. Mr. Raubach is a democrat.
Hans Nielsen, all old settler of Howard county, Nebraska, has for many years been prominently identified with the farming and business interests of his section of the state. He has always stood for the improvement and progress of his region, passing through all the early experiences of Howard county pioneering and is now a successful and well-to-do farmer and stockman, with his family enjoying the esteem and respect of the entire community in which they reside.
Mr. Nielsen was born in Lolland Island, Denmark, on May 2, 1843, and grew to manhood there, coming to America at the age of twenty-six years, landing in New York City, June 9, 1869. He went directly to Waukesha county, Wisconsin, and remained there up to April, 1871, following farming during most of that time. He then came on to Nebraska, arriving in Howard county about June 1st, having driven the entire distance with a team, bringing with him a small
herd of cattle, which he helped drive through for another man, and carrying his clothes, etc., in the covered wagon, which was also his bed at night. Upon landing here he made entry for a homestead, lived on it a short time then sold both rights and iniprovemens [sic]. In August of the following year he engaged in the general mercantile business at Dannebrog and succeeded in building up a flourishing trade throughout the surrounding country. He carried this on for about thirteen years, at the end of that time disposing of his store and purchasing a farm on section twenty-six, twonship [sic] fourteen, range eleven, and immediately settled on his new property. Here he has lived up to the present time, having put on the place the finest improvements in the way of buildings, planting groves, erecting a handsome residence, etc. He is progressive and up-to-date in his method of operating his farm, engaging in diversified farming and stock raising, and every appointment of the place bears evidence of his good management and thrift.
On April 21, 1883, Mr. Nielsen was married in St. Paul, Nebraska, to Maria Sunstrom, she born and reared in Sweden and coming to America with her parents in 1879. Mr. and Mrs. Nielsen have eleven children, named as follows: Walter, Bertha, Sophia, Ralph, Emelie, Harry, Lela Agnes, Ray, Albert and Mabel, all at home with the exception of Walter, Bertha and Sophia, who are married. Walter lives in South Dakota and Bertha and Sophia are living with their families in Howard county.
For the past twenty-seven years or more, Lysander Watson, subject of this biographical writing, has been a resident of Valley county, Nebraska, and now lives on the southwest quarter of section four, township eighteen, range five, where he has a finely improved farm and it pleasant, comfortable home. Mr. Watson has always been at foremost factor in the upbuilding along all lines pertaining to the best interests of his home state and county, and is highly respected and revered by all who know him, and he has a wide circle of friends and acquaintances, old and new.
Mr. Watson is a native of old New Hampshire State, his birth occurring in Berrington township, near Dover, December 20, 1855, and was second of four children in the family of Lysander and Malinda Watson, who had two sons and two daughters. Mr. Watson was born and raised on the home farm in his native state, in which state he lived until 1883, when he came to Nebraska, being the only one of his family to come here for permanent residence; his brother lived here some few years, during which time Mr. Watson, our subject, owned a farm in partnership with him in Valley county, where they farmed and raised stock. In 1899, Mr. Watson purchased land in the southwest quarter of section four, township eighteen, range fifteen, where he now has a fine, well improved farm and pleasant, comfortable home.
Mr. Watson was united in marriage June 1, 1888, to Miss Myra Travis, at the Travis home in Valley county, Nebraska. The Travis family are amongst the very first families in Valley county, and an extended sketch of them appears on another page of this work. Mr. and Mrs. Watson have had four children, namely: Bessie, a native-born Nebraskan, still residing in her home state; Forrest, who was born in the state of Texas; and two other children who died in infancy. In 1893, Mr. Watson and family moved to Texas, where they lived for six years, returning to Valley county, Nebraska, and purchasing their present home farm. They are well known and have the respect and esteem of many friends. Mrs. Watson can almost be called a native of Valley county, her parents, Amos and Eunice (Crocker) Travis, coming here when she was but a small child. They were one of three families locating as a colony on the North Loup, at a time when Indians made frequent journeys through the valley.
Mr. Watson's father died in Richmond, Virginia, in 1894; and his mother, one brother and two sisters are living.
To the men of perseverance and sterling qualities who went to Nebraska when it was yet an undeveloped country, the present prosperity enjoyed there is due. Among the early settlers of Madison county who have been intimately identified with its development and have gained an enviable reputation as a citizen, may be mentioned August Klentz.
Mr. Klentz is it native of Germany, his birth having occurred near Berlin, February 10, 1860. He is a son of Carl and Christina (Schoenfeldt) Klentz, both of whom are natives of Germany.
In 1866, the family left their native land for America, embarking on a sail boat at Hamburg, being on the sea eight weeks, when they landed in New York. After landing in the new world, they lived in Wisconsin for three years, then came directly to Madison county, Nebraska, making the journey by the popular route in those days -- that of ox team and covered wagon -- being on the road eight weeks. After reaching their destination, the father took up a homestead claim on section two, township twenty-three, range one, which is now the home of our subject. They first put up a sod house, which was later succeeded by a good frame residence.
Columbus and Fremont were the nearest market places in those pioneer days, both places being many miles distant, and the journey to either place consuming many days' time. Many hardships and discouragements beset the brave
settler of the western frontier, and among these were the grasshopper pests that infested this section of the west in the first few years of the Klentz family's residence here. They lost their entire crops by the ravages of these pests, which came in hordes, and fed on the plentiful and thriving vegetation that gave so much promise of bountiful harvest. In 1873, the family lost part of their stock in the raging blizzard of that year. But these dangers and disappointments have been safely passed, and remain but an epoch of history, which in time will be almost entirely forgotten in the progression and prosperity of this glorious land of the west. In those first days, deer and antelope were plentiful on the open prairies, and a few elk were occasionally seen.
Mr. Klentz was united in marriage, October 20, 1885, to Miss Gussie Villnow, a native of Germany, and Mr. and Mrs. Klentz are the parents of four children, namely: Edith, George, Irving and Hattie. They are a fine family, and in their pleasant home are surrounded by a host of good friends and neighbors.
Mr. Klentz is a prosperous citizen, highly esteemed by all who know him, and now owns two hundred and fifty-three acres of good land, on which he has set four hundred fine trees. He is a member of the Lutheran church, and a democrat. He is also a member of the Sons of Herman.
REV. GEORGE B. STRICKLER.
Rev. George B. Strickler, a highly esteemed citizen of Ansley, Nebraska, belongs to an old Nebraska family. He was born in Adams county, Illinois, May 31, 1875, son of Joseph W. and Nancy A. (Bennett) Strickler; the father a native of Pennsylvania. In his eighteenth year, Joseph W. Strickler went to Illinois, and in 1853, was married in Adams county. He came with his wife and five children to York county, Nebraska, early in the spring of 1876. He had been a farmer and storekeeper in Illinois, and, upon coming to York county in February, 1876, he took a homestead, and about one year later also engaged in the mercantile business in Waco, Nebraska. In the fall of 1888, he gave up his business interests in that village, and devoted his time entirely to farming. In the fall of 1900, he retired from active life, and located in Waco, his residence until his death in January, 1903. His widow now resides in York. They had six children: Thomas J., of Kansas City, Kansas; Emma, Mrs. A. R. Downing, of Merna, Nebraska; Bertha, Mrs. W. J. Lancaster, of York; George B., of Ansley; Miss Addie, of York, and Nellie, Mrs. W. S. Rogers, living on a farm near Ansley. Mr. and Mrs. Strickler were pioneers of central Nebraska, and were among that noble band of men and women who helped make the way easier for later generations. They made many friends among the early settlers, and won the respect of their neighbors and associates.
George B. Strickler was an infant when brought by his parents to Nebraska. He was educated in Nebraska schools, attending the Waco schools until he was thirteen years of age, and for the next eleven years his home was on a farm. He completed his education in the United Brethren College at York, Nebraska, and afterward entered the ministry, being ordained in 1908. He had previously served as pastor of various churches. He is now doing a noble work as pastor of the Presbyterian church at Ansley.
On January 2, 1907, Mr. Strickler was united in marriage at York with Laura O., daughter of Benjamin and Sarah Marshall, early settlers of York county. Mrs. Marshall died on the farm near York in 1890, and Mr. Marshall now resides in Regina, Canada. Mr. and Mrs. Strickler have one child, Josephine.
Louis Knoll is one of the early settlers of Wayne county, whose personal history is entitled to a prominent place in a work of this nature. He is active in every measure that is calculated to advance the interests of the agricultural region where he lives, and is always ready to lend his influence where it will insure the beat results.
Mr. Knoll is a native of Germany, born eight miles from Berlin, October 6, 1849, and is a son of Fred and Mattie Knoll, who were farming people.
Louis Knoll, with his wife and two children, left Bremen for New York on the steamship "Hapsburg" in 1882, landing in New York City, whence they immediately set out for the west. They located in Wisner, Nebraska, remaining there four weeks. The family then went to Laramie City, Wyoming, where they remained two years. They then came back to Nebraska, and settled in Wayne county, and, after two years, went to California, where the family lived one year, then coming back to Wayne county, Nebraska. For one year, Mr. Knoll worked on the section, and then, in 1887, bought eighty acres of land. Later he added a quarter section. This land he sold in 1903, and purchased his present place of three hundred and twenty acres. He now lives on section thirty-two, township twenty-seven, range three, where he has all modern machinery and appliances, and is accounted one of the successful operators of his locality. He has a comfortable home and substantial buildings for housing his stock and grain, and every convenience possible to secure. His present prosperity is the result of much hard work and careful management, and he is respected as one of the substantial and reliable citizens of the community. He has displayed intelligence and ambition in winning success from a small beginning, and is one of the many self-made men of his part of the state.
Mr. Knoll was married in 1875 to Miss Mary
Regenberg, who is a native of Germany, and a daughter of Martin and Henriette Regenberg, who were born and died in Germany. Mr. Knoll and wife are parents of three sons, Paul, William and John, who are all at home. Augusta, a daughter, died when five years old.
Mr. and Mrs. Knoll both enjoy the esteem of a large circle of friends, and are well known in Wayne county.
JOHN T. HARRIS.
John T. Harris, one of the prosperous and substantial stockmen of Merrick county, Nebraska, has made this locality his home for the past twenty-seven years, and has done his full share toward the development of all the best interests of the community where he has chosen his residence. He has a reputation as a successful and worthy citizen.
John T. Harris was born in Dekalb, Dekalb county, Illinois, December 25, 1862, and was eldest of ten children, of eight girls and two boys, in the family of Thomas and Margaret (Dewire) Harris. Mr. Harris grew up in Dekalb county, Illinois, until his twentieth year, when he made a trip to Merrick county, Nebraska, in 1882, returning to Illinois, and again came to Merrick county in June, 1883, making purchase of three hundred and twenty acres of land in the east half of section seven, township fourteen, range six. In March, 1884, Mr. Harris came to Merrick county for permanent residence, going on his stock and grain farm.
On January 28, 1890, Mr. Harris was married to Miss Margaret L. Shay, in Chicago, Illinois, of which state Mrs. Harris was a native. Mr. and Mrs. Harris, with the exception of the twelve years they resided in Central City, have made their stock farm their home, where they have a fine farm, well equipped.
Mr. Harris has been a buyer and shipper of live stock for many years -- in fact, his work has been along this line since he was a boy. He has been active in all pertaining to the welfare of his home, county and state. He served as supervisor of Mead township four years, from 1891 to 1895, inclusive. He also has occupied numerous precinct offices, and is now a member of the school board in district number eighteen.
Our subject's father, Thomas Harris, and family came to Central City, Nebraska, in 1886, and engaged extensively in the live stock business, being a large buyer and shipper. His death occurred December 22, 1902, in his home in Central City, survived by his widow and son, John, and eight daughters: Mrs. Harris, senior, and daughters, Madge and Nellie, now reside in Columbus, Nebraska; daughter, Hannah, now Mrs. Michael Shonsey, resides in Clarks, Nebraska; Kate, wife of R. E. Barge, resides in Central City; Mary, wife of J. B. Geitzen, and Elizabeth, wife of F. A. Roberts, reside in Columbus, Nebraska; Mrs. Williams, of Chicago, and Sadie Harris, of Seattle, Washington, complete the family.
Located very pleasantly in section twenty-three, township twenty-nine, range three, Knox county, Nebraska, is to be found the somewhat notable gentleman whose name introduces this biographical sketch. He has been intimately identified with the history of the county from a very early date, and has become widely known and highly respected through his aid in every movement started for the betterment of conditions in his section.
Charles Nelson was born in Sweden, at Hoetlanda village, Jonkoping county, May 6, 1860, and is a son of John and Mary Nelson, who were farmers during their entire lives, both dying in their native land. Charles lived in his native village, following farming from the time he was old enough to work, until he was nineteen years of age.
He then decided to try his fortune in the new world, so went to Guttenberg and embarked on a steamship, crossing to Liverpool, and from there coming on to Philadelphia. He made no stop in that city, but started at once for the west, locating at Boone, Iowa, where he spent five years working on farms near that city.
He first came to Knox county, Nebraska, in 1885, where he had previously purchased eighty acres of well situated land in Columbia township, and started to build a home and farm. He went through the usual experiences of the pioneer Nebraskan, often meeting failure and discouragements, but through it all never gave up courage, and through thrift, industry and perseverance, succeeded in accumulating a fine estate. His holdings now consist of four hundred and five acres of splendidly improved land, equipped with every modern convenience in the way of buildings, machinery, etc. The place is well stocked with cattle, horses, hogs, etc., and he also feeds a large number of the same for market each year.
Mr. Nelson has a fine ten-acre grove of trees, and raises various kinds of fruit, vegetables, etc.
July 1, 1892, Mr. Nelson was married at Wausa, at the bride's home, to Miss Amanda Hult, and eight children have come to bless their union, namely: Arthur, Ernest, Clifford, Clarence, Pearl, Vera and Anna, all living; and Edmar, who died when seven and one-half weeks old.
Mr. Nelson has held various township offices, and is one of the prominent men of affairs in his community.
WILLIAM H. LONGNECKER.
This gentleman, although a newcomer in Boone county, has already made many friends,
and will undoubtedly become one of the substantial public-spirited citizens of his locality. He was engaged in farming and stock raising for many years in Iowa, and is now following that occupation in Manchester precinct, where he has a comfortable home and pleasant surroundings.
Wm. H. Longnecker is a native of Livingston county, Illinois, born on April 6, 1864. He is a son of William and Sarah Longnecker, and the seventh child in order of birth in their family of thirteen. His boyhood was spent in his native county, the entire family moving to LaSalle county, Illinois, in 1884.
The following year William married Emma B. Hadley, of Livingston county, the event occurring in February, and shortly after their marriage the young couple settled in Shelby county, Iowa, making that locality their home up to February, 1908, at that time coming to Boone county, Nebraska. During his residence in Iowa, Mr. Longnecker followed farming and stock raising continuously, and he has been engaged in the same work since coming to this state. He rents a well improved estate situated three miles southeast of Albion, and is recognized as one of the substantial men of his community.
Mr. and Mrs. Longnecker are the parents of six children, named as follows: Sarah Edna, who married Ed Evans, they now living in Idaho; Prudence, wife of George Galyean, of Albion; Pearl DeLyle, wife of Charles Edwards and living in Ogden, Utah; James Glenn, Mabel Irene and Mary Eveline, the latter three living at home. The family enjoy a pleasant and comfortable home and have many friends in the. vicinity.
The gentleman above mentioned was one of the very first settlers in eastern Nebraska. When he first struck this region in 1869, settlers were very few; and eleven years later when he came to Antelope county, Nebraska, settlers were still few and he had the choice of location, picking out a homestead which he considered as nicely situated as any in the county, which is located in sections fifteen and twenty-two, township twenty-eight. range seven. However Mr. Hering has sold this homestead and is now a resident of the village of Royal, Nebraska, where he has a beautiful home and is surrounded by a host of loving friends.
Mr. Hering is a native of Germany, being born in the village of Baldeburg, West Prussia, and was third in a family of eight children born to Ferdinand and Augusta (Paul) Hering. The father was born in 1815 in Germany where he learned and followed the millers' and millwrighting trade, and died in the fatherland in 1878, and the mother is still living in Germany. Our subject's two brothers served in the German army, Louis in the war of 1871 between France and Germany.
In 1869 Mr. Hering left his native land for America. Leaving Hamburg, Germany, he sailed to Hartlepool, then to Liverpool, and from there on the steamship (France) being six days and thirteen hours on the ocean to New York where he remained three days, seeing the sights, then going to Buffalo, where he remained a short time. Starting for the west, our subject landed in Sarpy county, Nebraska, where he secured employment in a mill which position he held for eleven years. In 1880 Mr. Hering came to Antelope county, Nebraska, where he took up a homestead claim in sections fifteen and twenty-two, township twenty-eight, range seven. Mr. Hering first built a sod house in which he lived two years. After some time of residence here, Mr. Hering built a mill and also a mill race, doing all the work and driving every nail himself, except that his wife helped shingle the mill. Notwithstanding his struggles, our subject managed to send his children to school, giving them good advantages; later on some of them going to college and others to high school.
Mr. Hering was united in marriage December 23, 1874, to Miss Ida Fields, who was born in Green Bay, Wisconsin; her parents were natives of England and they were also early settiers in Nebraska. Her mother still lives, and is now eighty years of age. Mr. and Mrs. Hering have had eight children born to them: Augusta, Francis, Bertha, wife of H. S. Lyttle; Hattie, Roy, Stella, George and Edward.
In the early days Mr. Hering went through a great many hardships. He fought prairie fires to save his home and property, and experienced many other drawbacks. In those times deer and antelope were plentiful.
In 1908 Mr. Hering retired from his business and his son Roy J. is now running the mill.
In the fall of 1885, Mr. Hering had a narrow escape from prairie fire, having to run for his life. He with several others were fighting a fire which came from the northwest toward Verdigree Bluffs. This party were on the east side of bluffs and another party on west side. They lost control of the fire which they were fighting and it run southeast. In getting away they had to cut across the country, the smoke was so dense they could not see, so several times they were forced to slide down the side of the hills and keep in the valley. At the critical time the fire changed its course and started southwest, so his mill was saved.
William Collier, second of the six children of John and Janet (Todd) Collier, was born in Scotland, February 1, 1864. His parents were early settlers of Nebraska, and pioneers of Custer county, and for further details regarding the
family the reader is referred to the sketch of John Collier, junior, which also appears in this work. William Collier was reared and educated in his native land, where his father was interested in a woolen mill. He accompanied the other members of the family to the United States in 1879, sailing from Glasgow to New York in the "Nevada." With his parents he located near Lincoln, Nebraska, in May of that year. In 1883 he came to Custer county, where the father and oldest son had already located, and made a filing on a homestead two years later. This land, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, is still in his possession, and is located on section twenty, township seventeen, range seventeen, but he now lives on a grain and stock farm on the northeast quarter of section thirty, township seventeen, range seventeen, and owns altogether four hundred acres of land in Custer county.
Mr. Collier lived on his father's farm until the time of his marriage, October 22, 1898, to Myrtle Richmyre, daughter of Marcus Richmyre, head of an old Nebraska family. Mrs. Collier died in Seward county, Nebraska, September 19, 1902, leaving no children. Mr. Collier is well known throughout Custer county as a public-spirited and useful citizen and is representative of the best interests of his community. He is upright find honest in his business dealings and has become a successful farmer through industry and perseverance.
In politics he is republican, and is a member of the Modern Woomen [sic] of America.
SAMUEL P. CONNER.
Samuel P. Conner, who has passed through much of Valley county's history, is well and favorably known in his part of the county as an honorable, upright citizen, and a successful farmer. He was born in Chester county, Pennsylvania, October 3, 1844, a son of Henry and Ann (Packham) Conner, and second of their twelve children. He has a brother and two sisters in Pennsylvania, two brothers in Delaware, a sister in Rhode Island, and others of the children are deceased. His father and mother, both also natives of Pennsylvania, died in that state, he in 1874 and she about 1875. Samuel P. Conner's grandfather, Samuel Packham, was captain of a rifle company in the war of 1812, and his great-uncle, Henry Conner, served in the war of the revolution.
After being educated in the public schools of his native state, Samuel P. Conner learned the trade of carpenter. In September, 1862, he enlisted in Company F, of the One Hundred Seventy-fifth Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, receiving his final discharge in Philadelphia in July, 1863. In 1863 Mr. Conner enlisted in the construction department of the United States service, and served about three months.
Returning from service, Mr. Conner remained in Pennsylvania several years, and in the spring of 1871 there married Johanna M. Ducie, a native of Ireland, and she died July 10, 1879, in Philadelphia, being survived by her husband and two children: Joseph A., married and has two children, and Ellen, wife of Ned Powers, lives in Valley county. Mrs. Powers has three children by her former marriage, which was with Samuel Berridge.
On August 30, 1880, Mr. Conner married (second) Anna I. Grubbe, who was born in the British East Indies, daughter of William H. Grubbe a native of England who, served as captain in the British army, who died in Canada. Her mother, whose maiden name was Eliza Conwell, was born at Paterson, New Jersey, and died in India in 1845. In 1883 Mr. Conner brought his family to Lincoln, Nebraska, where he engaged in work at his trade, but in November he located in Valley county and secured a homestead of one hundred and sixty acres of land on section thirty-four, township seventeen, range fifteen, where he developed and improved an excellent farm. He has served some years as treasurer and director of the school board of district number thirty-seven and is interested in the cause of education. He owns three hundred and twenty acres of land, six miles east of Arcadia, which has been well improved and equipped and is now a very good stock farm. In the early days the family lived in a sod house for fourteen years and here endured the privations and hardships of the frontier until better times came and prosperity smiled upon those who had the fortitude to endure.
Mr. Conner is a representative of the highest class of citizens, and in furthering their own interests, advance the progress of the place where they have located. He has many warm friends and stands well with his neighbors and associates.
Mr. Conner is a populist in political views and a member of the Grand Army of the Republic; formerly He affiliated with the Knights of Pythias and Independent Order Red Men.
A view of Mr. Conner's farm home with its setting in his fine grove is to be found on one of our illustrative pages.
Residence of Samuel P. Conner.
Cresten Jensen is one of the substantial farmers and stock raisers of Custer county, Nebraska, being a successful man of affairs and one of the best known men of his part of the county. He is a native of Denmark, born in the village of Endropskoe, province of North Schleswig, January 6, 1853, fourth of the six children of Andrew and Mary (Riis) Jensen. The parents died in Denmark, where the remainder of the family live except Cresten. Mr. Jensen grew to manhood in his native land, there receiving the educational advantages offered by the public schools, and after leaving school he learned the
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by T&C Miller, P Ebel, P Shipley, L Cook