on the steamship "Simbria." Later the mother married Claus Hinrichsen, a brother of Henry.
Our subject spent the first five years in Davenport, Iowa, and then moved to Ida county, Iowa, in 1880, and, from there in 1882 to Crawford county, two years later he came to Pierce county, Nebraska where he bought the land he now occupied. He first came to the farm in 1885, driving through from lowa; he broke the prairie during his sojourn here and returned to Iowa to bring his family the next year. He planted four acres of trees on this land.
Mr. Hinrichsen has experienced the drawbacks incidental to the early settlement, burning hay and cornstalks for a time. Drouths killed his corn in 1894 and most of his small grain; he lost his entire crops by the hail of 1900, there being a storm in June that killed his small grain and another in August that ruined his corn.
Mr. Hinrichsen was married in Denison, Iowa, December 11, 1885, to Miss Christina Boyens, a native of Germany. Her parents, Henry and Mona (Johansen) Boyens, emigrated to America in 1880 and settled at Denison, Crawford county, Iowa. Mr. and Mrs. Hinrichsen are the parents of nine living children, who are named as follows: Henry, Mary, Alfred, Lewis, Alvina, Carl, Claus, Hans, and Hilda. John, Edward and Herman died.
Mr. Hinrichsen is of the German-Lutheran faith and in politics he is a republican.
We take pleasure in calling attention to a view Mr. Hinrichsen's fine farm residence and other buildings on a page in this work.
Residence of Claus Hinrichsen.
ROLAND R. HETRICK.
Roland Hetrick is a prominent farmer and stockman living on section thirty-two, township twenty-six, range three, and is well-known throughout Pierce county, Nebraska, as a progressive and successful agriculturist, highly esteemed by all with whom he has to do.
Mr. Hetrick is a native of Jefferson county, Pennsylvania, born January 28, 1865, and is a son of Eli and Mary (Schoffner) Hetrick. His father was crippled when a boy by a log rolling over him. His mother was of German descent, her parents emigrating to Pennsylvania. Our subject grew up in Pennsylvania on a farm, and came to Washington county, Nebraska, with his parents, in 1872, where they lived two years, moving to Madison county, Nebraska, in 1874 driving across the country with oxen. In Madison county they took up a homestead, and also a tree claim.
Here the family experienced all the vicissitudes of the early pioneer, and their nearest market place was at Columbus, forty miles away. They lost all their crops during the grasshopper raids of 1873, 1874, and 1875, and the blizzard of 1873 was very hard on them, as they were starting up in a new country, and were not prepared for hard times. For fuel they burned hay, corn, cornstalks, and even the stems of sunflowers several years.
Mr. Hetrick performed an act of mercy the night of the fearful blizzard of January 12, 1888. The children in school some hundred rods distant were, of course, without food. Mr. Hetrick carried a lot of biscuit his mother made for them, through the storm, to appease their hunger, and then safely returned to his home.
On May 13, 1891, Mr. Hetrick was married to Miss Lena Witzel, a native of Wisconsin. Mr. and Mrs. Hetrick are the parents of four children, George, Maggie, Myra, and Minnie.
Our subject came to Pierce county, Nebraska, in 1902, and bought three hundred and twenty acres of fine land, one hundred and sixty acres of which lies in section thirty. This he has improved until now he has a beautiful place with twelve acres of good orchard and eleven acres of grove.
Mr. Hetrick is independent in politics.
LEWIS C. MADSEN.
Lewis C. Madsen, who owns a fine estate in section twenty-two, township thirteen, range twelve, of Howard county, was born in Denmark, on December 15, 1840.
Mr. Madsen is a son of Hans and Annie Madsen, the twelfth in a family of fourteen children, six of whom are now living, all having settled in, the United States, but the mother and rather spent their entire lives in their native country. Lewis was the first of his family to come to America, and was instrumental in bringing the balance of the children over, three brothers and three sisters becoming identified with different localities here.
Our subject landed in New York City from Denmark in May, 1865. He first went to Wisconsin, where he followed farming, factory work, and lumbering, up to 1872, at that time coming into Nebraska and settling in Howard county. Upon landing in this section, he immediately took up a homestead on section twelve, township thirteen, range eleven, situated just half a mile from Dannebrog, built up a good home, and still owns the original farm, although his residence is now on section twenty-two. He is proprietor of five hundred and forty acres of land, eighty acres of which is in Cleveland, three hundred acres in Dannebrog, one hundred and sixty acres in Loup Fork precincts. He has been very successful in his enterprises, for many years being closely identified with the growth and progress of his locality. Since settling in America, he has made three visits to Denmark.
Mr. Madsen was married April 13, 1871, to Christina Jensen, the event taking place in Wisconsin. Mrs. Madsen was also born and raised in Denmark. They have four living children: Hans P. L. Lillian, Christopher M. E., and Bernhardt F. The first two are married, and Christopher and Bernhardt live on the homestead. All were born
and reared in Howard county, and the entire family is well known and numbered among the prosperous and highly esteemed residents of the region
CHARLES F. BEUSHAUSEN.
The Beushausen family is one of the best known in Sherman county, where they were among the early pioneers and they have done their full share in promoting the general welfare and prosperity of their section. Charles F. Beushausen was reared in the county, spending his boyhood and youth on his father's homestead. He was born in New York City, August 24, 1876, and is a son of August and Matilda (Beck) Beushausen, both natives of Germany, the father born March 5, 1840, and the mother January 19, 1832. The father came to the United States in 1868, remaining in New York until 1879, and there was married October 6, 1869, Mrs. Beck having come to New York in 1854. Of this union four children were born, all in New York City, namely: August, now living in Colorado; Julius living seven miles southeast of Loup City, in Sherman couty [sic]; Emil, of Utah, and Charles of this writing. Mr. and Mrs. Beushausen brought their children to Nebraska in 1879, he coming in March and securing a homestead on section eight, township fifteen, range fourteen, Sherman county, and preparing the place for their reception the middle of August. The parents lived on this and other farms until 1907, then, moved into their, comfortable, residence in Loup City, which they have since occupied. The father was an industrious and ambitious farmer and stockman, winning a very fair degree of success, and he and his wife, who did her share in improving their home and bore her share of hardships in the early days, are now enjoying the fruits of their toil. They reared their family amid pioneer conditions and were active in furthering the development of their county. Mr. Beushausen has always enjoyed the and regard of his neighbors from his uprightness and integrity in all his dealings, and is one of the well known men of the county.
Charles F. Beushausen was about three years of age when he was brought to Sherman county, where, he received his education, enjoying the advantages of the usual training to be obtained in the district school. He had a natural taste for study, made the most of his opportunities, and taught four winters after leaving school. He remained at home until his twenty-fourth year and then connected himself with a hardware store at Ord, and one year later engaged in conducting the E. G. Taylor grain elevator at Ashton, which he continued until the fall of 1905, when, he was elected on the Independent democratic ticket to the office of clerk of Sherman county, being re-elected two years later. Upon his retirement from office he entered upon his work as editor and proprietor of the Sherman County Times-Independent which he had purchased in 1909 and had for a few months conducted. This is the first paper published within the limit of the county, being established at Loup City in 1875, under the name of the Loup City News.
Mr. Beushausen is one of the most prominent among the younger men of Sherman county and has been a leader in political circles. He has been active and enthusiastic in furthering the interests of his party and since attaining his majority has shown great ability in promoting educational measures and other movements that have tended to the general welfare and prosperity. September 21, 1904, he married Miss Nellie Hawk, and they, have one child, Maynard Ray.
Fred Teatke, residing on section two, township twenty-three, range two, Madison county, Nebraska, is one of the leading citizens and old-timers of northeastern Nebraska, coming here many years ago when this portion of the state was not very fully developed as an agricultural and commercial region. Mr. Teatke has done his full share in furthering the best interests, along all lines, of his home state and county, and is now, in his later years, enjoying the rich reward of high esteem and respect of all his fellow citizens, and also the prosperity and comfort which he justly deserves after a long and useful life well spent.
Mr. Teatke is a native of Germany, born October 20, 1835, a son of Martis and Hattie Teatke, both notives [sic] of West Prussia province, Germany. Our subject received his schooling in his native land where he remained at home and helped his parents, until 1878, in that year coming to America. He embarked at Bremen on the sailboat "Neagora," and was on the sea seven weeks.
After arriving in the United States, Mr. Teatke located in New Jersey where he remained almost one year; from there he went to Detroit, Michigan, where he lived four years, working at whatever his hands found to do.
In 1883 Mr. Teatke came to Nebraska, locating in Wisner, and there, as in Detroit, worked at day labor, living there for four years. In 1887, he came to Madison county, Nebraska, and bought the Sharer homestead, which has remained the homestead farm to the present time; on this land Mr. Teatke built a good frame house and has steadily improved the farm, now owning one hundred and sixty acres of fine land.
Mr. Teatke was united in marriage in 1883 to Miss Hattie Remmer, a native of West Prussia, and a daughter of Fred Remmer. Mr. and Mrs. Teatke are the parents of six children, whose names are as follows: Augusta, Carrie, Edward, Fred, August, and William. They are a fine family and are well and favorably known throughout this portion of the county.
Mr. Teatke, as before stated, is a highly respected. citizen of Madison county, and in his home is surrounded by a host of good friends and neigh-
bors, and he is beloved by all who know him. He is a member of the Lutheran church, and a democrat.
JAMES FINLEY SHARPLESS.
The late James Finley Sharpless, who spent many years on the farm in Custer county, Nebraska, where his death occurred, was one of the most highly respected and public-spirited citizens of that region. He and his wife were both liberally educated and interested in every measure for the well-being and development of the county and state.
They were early settlers of Custer county, where they won many friends. Mr. Sharpless was well known in Grand Army and Masonic circles and at the time of his death had large holdings of land as well as city property. He was a native of Belmont county, Ohio, and was descended from a family of English Quakers who settled in Pennsylvania as early as 1682 and became prominent in the affairs of that region in early days. He was born March 19, 1842, being the eldest of seven children of Nathan and Hester (Liston) Sharpless, and was the only survivor of the family with the exception of one sister, Mrs. Estella Henderson, of Columbus, Ohio.
After attending the common schools of his native state Mr. Sharpless attended a medical school in Chicago, and although he never followed the profession of medicine he was for some time engaged in conducting a drug store. In 1864 he enlisted in the Fifty-fourth Ohio Infantry, and served until the close of the war. His marriage occurred at Magnolia, Illinois, on March 17, 1875, when he was united with Miss Martha M. Fyffe, a native of that state and a daughter of Townsend and Zilla (Boyle) Fyffe, both natives of Kentucky and of Scotch descent. Both died at Magnolia, Illinois.
After marriage Mr. Sharpless spent several years in Texas, where he was engaged in stock business on a large scale, then he returned to Illinois and engaged in stock raising near Tonica. In 1881 he brought his family to Iowa and four years later came on to Nebraska.. They lived four years in Kearney in order to secure educational advantages for their children. In 1885 he purchased a two hundred and forty acre farm one-half mile south of Ansley in Custer county, and afterward located on it and conducted it until his death, which occurred September 3, 1908. His loss was deeply deplored by his many friends and felt as a keen loss to the community in which he had lived so many years. he was a man of liberal views and had many endearing qualities, so that to know him was to have a warm regard for him. His wife had died August 13, 1903, and one son, Milam, had also died. Two daughters survived their parents, namely: Mrs. Mary S. Cooper, of Ansley, wife of Charles C. Cooper, a sketch of whom appears in this work, and Miss Emma I. Sharpless, of Lincoln, Nebraska.
Mr. Sharpless was highly regarded as a business man and a citizen and was one of the class of men who care for their own interests in an able manner and at the same time further to a large degree the welfare and prosperity of their community.
LUDWIG P. KERBEL.
Ludwig P. Kerbel, formerly the genial host of Hotel Klug of Spencer, is almost a native born Nebraskan, all but a few months of his life having been spent in the state, his first birthday anniversary being celebrated at North Bend, where the family settled on coming to the state.
Ludwig Kerbel was born in the village of Kluboky, Bohemia, August 1, 1880, a son of Joseph and Anna (Menick) Kerbel, the mother a native of the village of Otratice in Moravia, while the father's native village was the same as the son's.
The family came to America in 1881, sailing from Bremen in the ill fated "Elba," which foundered [sic] at sea with all on board in 1889. They landed in New York on the fourth of July, and received a noisy welcome on the nation's Independence day. The elder Kerbel came directly to the west and settled at North Bend, working two years at the carpenter's and then filing on a homestead at the northeast corner of Custer county, taking up a pre-emption and timber claim at the same time. The dry years of 1894 and 1895, together with chinch bugs, hail and other storms, completely disgusted him with this part of the country, so he abandoned his holdings to his sons and sought other fields of industry. He went to Madison county where he rented land for five years, and has since lived retired in South Omaha.
The Kerbel family consisted of five sons and three daughters; Mr. Kerbel has two brothers in Spencer and one on the old home farm in Custer county. In Custer county, Mr. Kerbel with his brothers and sisters had to go five miles to school. They were fortunately at home during the great blizzard of January 12, 1888. They lived in a sod house while in this part of the country, and frequently fought prairie fires.
As an instance of the edurance [sic] of the early settlers, we make note of the fact that when times were so hard in Custer county the father walked to Omaha, two hundred and fifty miles distant, to find work through the winter in the smelter works to keep his family in bread. But of such metal was made the hardy pioneers.
Ludwig, our subject, began for himself at the age of sixteen, clerking in a store at Madison for five years. Going to Plattsmouth, he secured work as fireman in the yards there for the Burlington and Missouri River railroad. He was next engaged in the saloon business for one year at Battle Creek, coming to Spencer in May of 1906, continuing his former vocation for two years. He clerked one year in the William F. Kloke store, and on July 22, 1909, took charge of the Klug Hotel which he
conducted in a manner pleasing to the traveling public and profitable to himself.
Mr. Kerbel was married in Plattsmouth May 6, 1902, to Miss Anna Krabochail a native of Pennsylvania, daughter of Jacob Krabochail, who came to Nebraska about 1888. Three children were born to Mr. and Mrs. Kerbel: Hattie, Stazie, and Leonard.
Mr. Kerbel is republican in politics, a member of the Catholic church and of the W. O.W., and Z. C. B. J.
Mr. Kerbel is at present living in South Omaha where he is conducting a saloon in the Albright district.
James Baird during his lifetime was one of the most respected and highly esteemed citizens of Merrick county, Nebraska, and was a prominent factor in the upbuilding of his home county. At the time of his demise he was residing in Clarks, Nebraska, and at his death was deeply mourned by hosts of friends and relatives.
Mr. Baird was a native of the state of Illinois, his birth occurring in Randolph county, January 28, 1838, and he was a son of Hugh and Martha Baird who were natives of Randolph county, Illinois; he was fourth in the family of ten children, and has a sister residing in Illinois, one brother in Central City, Nebraska, another in southern Illinois, the others being deceased, as are also the parents. Mr. Baird grew to manhood days in his native state, receiving the usual education, later engaging in farming.
On December 2, 1858, Mr. Baird was united in marriage to Miss Elizabeth Jane Hunter, also a native of Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Baird were the parents of ten children, whose names are as follows: Alexander P., deceased in infancy; Martha E., wife of L. Swartz, has four children and resides in Montana; Hugh A., married and has six children, and lives in Kansas; Henry C., also married and lives in Tacoma, Washington; Nellie M., a teacher in Trinidad, Colorado; James K., married and lives in Kennett, California, has three children; Anna, wife of George Boughner, has five children, and lives in North Carolina; Prudence A., is the wife of Mr. Lawson, they having four children and reside in Grand Island; Flora J., lives in Trinidad, Colorado; and Bertha M., wife of Charlie Pearce and a resident of Inlesburg [sic], Colorado.
In the fall of 1861 Mr. Baird elisted [sic] in Company C, Thirtieth Illinois Infantry, Corps Seventeen, serving until the close of the war, and in the fall of 1865, at Sprigfield [sic], Illinois, receiving his honorable discharge. He participated in the following engageniets [sic]: Belmont, Fort Donalson, Fort Henry, Britton Lane, Siege of Vicksburg, and Atlanta.
After the war he returned to Illinois, and in 1871 drove overland with his family to Merrick county, Nebraska, where he homesteaded one hundred and sixty acres of land three miles west of Clarks, which remained the home place until 1894, when Mr. Baird retired from the farm and moved to Clarks where he purchased a good home, Mr. Baird engaging in the draying business until the time of his death, June 25, 1906. He was survived by his wife and nine children. Mrs. Baird still lives in the old home at Clarks, surrounded a large circle of friends.
Mr. Baird was a progressive man of affairs, interested in all pertaining to the welfare of his state and county and was widely and favorably known. He served on the board of his school district for a number of years.
JOSEPH F. WIRTH.
Joseph F. Wirth, a prominent farmer and stockman, living on section twenty-six, townsip [sic] thirtytwo, range eight, is well known throughout Knox county, Nebraska, as a progressive and successful agriculturist highly, esteemed by all who know him.. Mr. Wirth has the distinction of being a native born son of the county and state in which he now resides, and where he has lived since his birth. He is a young man of energy, and possesses sterling qualities of character which give fair promise to enable our subject to emulate his father.
Mr. Wirth is a native of Knox county, Nebraska, as before stated, his birth occurring in the year 1883, and he is the son of Joseph and Vincin (Jiskra) Wirth, both being natives of Bohemia. In 1870, the father left his native land and came to America, and after landing in the United States proceeded to Knox county, Nebraska, where he took up a homestead claim on section twenty-six, township thirty-two, range eight, which still remains the old homestead farm where our subject now lives. On this land they built a sod house and later a log house, which remained the dwelling of the family for several years, when it was replaced by a frame house.
Here the family experiened [sic] more than the usual drawbacks and hardships endured by all old settlers, having come to this section of the west when it was but a virgin prairie, peopled by bands of Indians who roamed the plains, scarcely knowing what a white man was, and resenting his interference, in their free, and easy life. Our subject's parents experienced many scares and dangers from the redskins, but as time wore on, the Indian became more reconcilled to their white brother, and being also to a certain extent held under government restraint, became less a menace to the peace of sturdy settlers of this early period. The grasshopper pests did their share to discourage the tiller of the soil, on several occasions destroying the entire seasons crops. Prairie fires, have also tragic part in the events of early Nebraska history and the family of our subject fought this danger many times to save their homes and lives.
In 1907 Joseph F. Wirth was united in marriage to Miss Anna Hercik. They have three children--Otto, Mary and Rosie.
Mr. and Mrs. Wirth now reside in their beautiful residence on the old homestead of two hundred and eighty acres of fine land, well improved, on which are fifteen acres of trees; he also has fifteen fine springs of water on the land. Mr. Wirth has charge of and farms this two hundred and eighty acres of land which makes him a busy man of affairs.
In compiling a list of the pioneers of Stanton county Nebraska, who have aided materially in making of that region a thriving agricultural district, a prominent place must be accorded the gentleman whose name heads this personal history. For twenty-eight years, Mr. Long has been closely identified with the history and development of this locality, and his labors to this end are well known to all that reside in that community. Mr. Long lives on section nineteen township twenty-two, range one, east, where he and his family enjoy the respect and esteem of a large circle of old-time friends and acquaintances.
Mr. Long is a native of New York state, his birth occurring in the year of 1853, and he is a son of John and Julia (Gleason) Long. Our subject was raised on a farm, and has stuck to farming and stock-raising all his life, and is now amply repaid for his efforts, in this direction, as he is the owner of a fine farm which will insure him comfort for the remainder of his days.
From New York state, our subject went with his parents to Illinois, where they remained until 1882: then Mr. Long, our subject, came to Stanton county, Nebraska, where he bought one hundred and sixty acres of land. He now owns six hundred and forty acres of fine land, on which he has eight acres of fine orchard and grove trees.
Mr. Long has not gained his present prosperity without enduring the usual amount of worry and hardships that have had to be borne by the earliset [sic] settler of this region; on January 12, 1888, he lost considerable cattle in the terrible storm that wreaked such havoc to all in that locality.
In the year 1876, Mr. Long was united in marriage to Miss Maggie Carroll, and Mr. and Mrs. Long are the parents of nine children, whose names are as follows: John, Anna, now Mrs. Edward Ackerman, of Stanton; Patrick, Thomas, Jr., Leo, Eugene and Jerome, twins; Loretta, and Leonard.
Mr. and Mrs. Long and family live in their pleasant home, where they have a host of good friends and many acquaintances, and where Mr. Long is well known as a prosperous and substantial citizen.
J. S. YAGER.
J. S. Yager tin agriculturist of prominence in Antelope county, Nebraska, resides in section twentyfour, township twenty-three, range six, and is one of those substantial citizens whose integrity and industry, thrift and economy have added so much to the material wealth and growth of Nebraska.
Mr. Yager is a native of Selkirk, Ontario, Canada, born August 14, 1857, and in 1875 went to Michigan where he remained five years. Mr. Yager's father, John Yager, was born in 1818, in Canada, and came to the United States in the early days; his mother, Mary (Stewart) Yager, was born in Canada in 1821, and was of Scotch descent. Mr. Yager's brother Josephus came to Nebraska in 1876 and took homestead in Antelope county, on which he built a sod house; he died later, and the claim was left to our subject. In 1880 Mr. Yager came to Antelope county to take possession of the homestead farm, and while Mr. Yager has traveled quite extensively through the south and in Canada, this pace [sic] has aways [sic] been his home since his coming here in 1880. From 1880 to 1882 Mr. Yager drove the mail route from Central City to Niobrara, a distance of two hundred miles, making two trips a week and several times met with roving bands of Indians, mostly Poncas but suffered no rough treatment from them. He was among the last to drive such routes.
In 1889 Mr. Yager was united in marriage to Miss Rosilda Jeffries, and in 1901, Mrs. Jeffries died, sincerely mourned by her husband and many friends and relatives. In 1903 Mr. Yager again married, his bride being Miss Nellie Carey, who was born in Seneca, Illinois. Mr. and Mrs. Yager are the parents of two fine children, named as follows: Clare and Artamissa.
Mr. and Mrs. Yager and children enjoy the highest respect and esteem of all who know them, and they have many friends and acquaintances in this section of the county.
FRANK O. HANNAWALD.
Frank O.Hannawald, a successful farmer and stock man of Cluster county, Nebraska, belongs to one of the old families of the region and is highly respected as an enterprising and public-spirited citizen. He was born near Oneida, New York, July 15, 1860, and was the first born of the six children of Adam and Anthy (Owen) Hannawald, also natives of New York. A sketch of the father also appears in this work, in which the family is given further mention. In 1865 the parents removed to a farm near Mattawan, Michigan, and they lived in that state until the fall of 1883, when they came to Hamilton county, Nebraska, and located on a farm near Aurora. The father brought with them the following four children: Frank, Etta, Nettie, and Flossie. Stella, Mrs. Merlin Valleau, remained in Michigan, but she and her husband came to Hamilton county in 1884. In the spring of 1885 the family came to Custer county, where in March of that year the father secured a homestead. He lived on this farm, which was located three miles
west of Merna, until his death February 10, 1898. He was survived by his widow and four children, Flossie having died after the family came to Custer county. The mother lives in Merna but still owns the homestead.
In 1884 Frank Hannawald secured a homestead on section seven, township seventeen, range twenty-one, Custer county, and he now has three hundred and twenty acres in his home farm, which is well improved and equipped for raising stock and grain. He has a comfortable, modern residence, surrounded by trees, with an orchard and other improvements, and has other substantial buildings. He has made his home on the original homestead all these years and is one of the best known men in the county, belonging to an old and honored family. He passed through various years of drouth and hard times in his earlier years there and has well earned his present era of prosperity. He has given much time to the furthering of the progress and development of his county and state and he and his wife, who have a wide circle of friends, are active in social and educational circles.
Mr. Hannawald's marriage occurred in Aurora, Nebraska, on Christmas day, 1885, when he was united with Lilly Wilkins, daughter of James H. and Martha Wilkins, an old family of Hamilton county. Three children have been born of this union: Mabel, wife of Claude Leisure, of Portland, Oregon, has two children a son and a daughter; Beryle, wife of Fred Wright, living two miles south of Merna, has one child, a son; Velva, at home. Mrs. Hannawald has one brother, William Wilkins, living in Custer county, and, her parents reside at Aurora.
JOSHUA H. EVANS.
Joshua H. Evans, a prominent citizen of Callaway, Nebraska, is a veteran of the Civil war, and highly respected in his community. He was born in Lawrence county, Indiana, June 12, 1847, fourth child of Ransom and Anna (Morris) Evans, who had three sons and four daughters. The father was a native of Tennessee, and the mother of Alabama, and they were married in Indiana. The family moved to Effingham county, Illinois, about 1845, but later returned to Indiana, and in 1848 again came to Illinois, locating on a farm. The father died in that state, January 1, 1862, and the mother, January 18, 1863. At that time all their seven children survived them. Those now surviving are: Joshua H.; Robert, of Illinois; Ruhama, Mrs. James Rentfrow, of Oklahoma; Mrs. Jane McGee, living in Clay county, Illinois; Mrs. Amanda McNelly, of Clay county, Illinois.
Most of Mr. Evans childhood was spent in Effingham county, Illinois, and he there received a common-school education. February 26, 1864, he enlisted in Company C, Ninety-eighth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and was mustered out at Nashville, Tennessee, December 26, 1865. He served in the Atlanta campaign, being in the brigade of Colonel Wilder, under General Sherman, and participated in many important battles. He was taken prisoner at Columbia, Tennessee, but escaped the same day. In the fall of 1864, his company came back to Louisville, Kentucky, and on Christmas day started for Eastport, Mississippi, via Nashville, then went on to Selma, Alabama, taking part in a battle at the latter place. In the battle of Selma, he was wounded by a ball that sruck [sic] his gun and exploded, the shock knocking him down, and rendering him unconscious for some time, so that he was numbered, among the slain. Upon recovering consciousness, he returned to his command. After this battle, they went to Montgomery, Alabama, and on to Columbus. They were out of communication with the north, and did not hear of the surrender of Lee, or the assassination of President Lincoln, until they reached Macon, Georgia.
After his discharge, Mr. Evans returned to Effingham county, and during the summer of 1867, worked on a farm, after which he learned the blacksmith trade, following the same until 1904. He has practically made his own way in the world since he was thirteen years of age, and early learned the lesson of self-reliance. He was married in Effingham county, December 2, 1869, to Samantha J. Gibson, daughter of John and Fanny Gibson. He brought his family to Iowa in 1881, and thence to North Platte, Nebraska, September 20, 1886. He there engaged in work at his trade, and on April 26, 1887, came to Callaway, making the trip with horses from Cozad to their destination. He engaged in blacksmithing at Callaway, and continued in active business life until 1904, on January 29, of that year, receiving the appointment of postmaster at Callaway, which official position he has since held. He is one of the oldest settlers of Callaway, still making that town his home, and has been closely identified with its growth and development, being well known in the surrounding country. He has served as a member of the village board, and of the school board. A portrait of Mr. Evans will be found on another page.
Mr. and Mrs. Evans have two children, Launa L. and Henry C., the former the wife of George H. LaFleur, of Callaway, was born in Illinois, and she and her husband have four children. Henry C., married, and living in Callaway, is in business at the old stand, where his father worked from 1886 to 1904, and built up a good trade, which has since been successfully cared for by the son.
Joshua H. Evans.
WILBUR G. SQUIRES.
Wilbur G. Squires, formerly editor of the "Verdigris Citizen," was at that time one of the youngest men in the state occupying an editorial chair. He was born near Plainview, Nebraska, June 1, 1888.
His parents, Wilbur and Eva A. (Smith) Squires, were natives of Tioga county, Pennsylvania, where they made their home, and engaged in farming until their migration to Nebraska in 1884. They lived for a short time in Antelope county until a suitable location could be found, and then settled ten miles southeast of Plainview, where the elder Squires filed on a homestead, proved up on it, and resided there until 1902, when he retired from active farming, and bought a comfortable home in Plainview, where he is taking a well-earned rest.
Of the children born to them, two survive: A daughter, Marilla, now the wife of Franklin Larson, a prosperous farmer, living south of Plainview, and a son, W. G.
Mr. Squires was reared on the home farm, near Plainview, attending the district schools and at Plainview, where he graduated in 1907, and later took up a six months course in the Wayne Normal.
Having a love for journalism, where he might make use of his aptitude for writing, Mr. Squires became an apprentice in the office of the "Plainview Republican" in 1907, and two years later, having an opportunity to purchase the "Verdigris Citizen," he became proprieor [sic] and editor of that journal, which he put on a paying basis. On the first of January, 1911, he removed to Wilmer, South Dakota, where he took charge of the "Advocate," and is there meeting with well-deserved success.
Mr. Squires is a musician of considerable ability. He is independent in politics, and conducts his paper along that line. He affiliates with the Odd Fellows, having joined the local lodge of that order.
The great blizzard of January 12, 1888, occurred before Mr. Squires' birth, but he has heard tales of its severity around the family fireside. The cattle had been turned into the pasture that morning, and the father started to get them back to shelter on the appearance of the approaching storm. The blast overtook him before his task was accomplished, and the cattle had to he abandoned to their fate, while he found difficulty in making his way back to the barn, and later to the house, losing about half his stock that was out in the storm. A neighbor and his son, who persisted in bringing in their stock, both, perished in the icy blast - the most disastrous blizzard that has swept the state since settlements began.
Fred Kruse, another of those sturdy and intrepid sons of old Germany, braved the pangs of homesickness, and encountered hardships in coming to the United States as a young man, but, in spite of all, has remained to reap a well-deserved reward in the possession of a comfortable competence, gained by dint of thrift and perseverance. His home is on section nine, township thirteen, range twelve, of Howard county.
Our subject is a son of Hans Kruse, the youngest of three children, and was born in Germany, April 13, 1843. He remained in his native country until his twenty-fourth year, then came to the United States, landing in this country on June 15, 1867, his first location being in Green county, Iowa, where he obtained employment on the railroad.
He was married there the following year to Katrine Felhaber, and together they came to Hall county, Nebraska, in the spring of 1869, remaining there for about eighteen months, when they came into Howard county, where they were among the very earliest settlers. Mr. Kruse took up a pre-emption claim on section four, township thirteen, range ten, and sold his rights a short time afterwards. In the spring of 1878, he purchased land of the Union Pacific railroad, consisting of two hundred and forty acres, in section nine, which has been his home ever since.
During his career in the early years here, he passed through all the different phases of Nebraska times, and, while building up a valuable estate, has become well known to all for his help in developing his section of the country.
Mr. and Mrs. Kruse have had five children, four of whom are living, named as follows: Charles Henry, who was born in Hall county in 1871, was married in Howard county on March 10, 1898, to Annie M. Berck, at the home of her parents. Charles Henry Kruse and his family of five children live on the home farm. The other children of our subject are Charles Frederick, Lida and Emma, all of whom are married, and settled in different parts of Nebraska.
Mr. Kruse is an active member of the German Methodist church, and both himself and wife are prominent in educational and social circles of their community.
JOHN E. DRAKE.
One of the leading old settlers and citizens of Valley county, Nebraska, is the subject of this sketch, John E. Drake, a well-known resident in township nineteen, range thirteen, living on section fourteen. Mr. Drake has lived in Valley county since 1876, coming here when the country was but a raw, unbroken prairie, inhabited by Indians and wild game.
John Elliott Drake, usually known as Elliott Drake, was born in Steuben county, New York, June 12, 1855, and was third of eight children in the family of James P. and Susanah (Sargeant) Drake, who had six sons and two daughters. Mr. Drake was a farm boy, and lived on the farm in Steuben county until his twenty-flrst year.
In May of 1876, Mr. Drake came to Valley comity, Nebraska, where he homesteaded land in the northwest quarter of section twenty-two,
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by T&C Miller, P Ebel, P Shipley, L Cook