NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library

Show picture



A brief History of the Church of Christ of York, Nebraska.

Four x bar

   In this sketch no effort is made to mention in detail all happenings good or bad in connection with the history of the Church of Christ of York, Nebraska. The present organization of the Church of Christ (commonly known in York as the Christian Church) was organized in North York, May 28th, 1883, by R. C. Barrow. The minutes of this organization read as follows:
   York, Nebraska, May 28, 1883 -- We the undersigned agree to associate ourselves together as members of the Church of Christ in New York, acknowledging no creed but Christ and no discipline but the Bible, and pledging ourselves to live to the best of our ability in accordance with the teaching of the inspired word.
   There were thirty some names written under the above as charter members of the organization.
   June 3, 1883 Dr. T. J. Hatfield, W. W. Williams and J. S. Hiett were elected by the congregation as Elders and H. H. Bowker as Deacon. Soon the brethren decided to build a place of worship in North York and as the result a substantial frame building 28 by 48 was erected and dedicated June, 1884 by Rev. D. R. Lucas. This was a time of rejoicing for the little flock and added permanency to the work so well begun. Unfortunately a few years after the dedication of the church, troubles of harmful, deep, and lasting influence entered into the organization which cooled the spiritual life and hindered the numerical growth of the church for a number of years. Notwithstanding the unpleasant memories and happenings the Church of Christ in North York, in Christ's name, conquered foes and won victories.
   The following are the names of the men who have ministered for the church since its organization: Bro. T. J. Burton, A. W. Harney (who was the pastor three times), T. J. Oliver,



J. H. McSparron, H. A. Lemon, T. L. Reed, Joel Fisher, T. A. Maxwell. J. A. Kierfle and the present pastor G. James Chapman, who has entered upon his fifth year as pastor of the church.
   It was unfortunate for the church that it was first built in North York instead of the more populous part of the city. In 1898 during Bro. T. A. Maxwell's energetic, progressive and wise ministry the church edefice (sic) fortunately was moved from North York to the present beautiful and centrally located site, corner of Eighth Street and Platte Avenue. Soon after this move the church began to increase in prestige in the community and in good works. In February 1899 Bro. G. J. Chapman was called to assist in a revival which resulted in several additions to the church. Soon after, the church tendered Bro. G. J. Chapman a call as pastor which he accepted and began his pastoral labors April 31, 1899. He found the church in some uncomfortable circumstances, the membership was small, some in debt. The building besides being small was in need of repairs outside and inside and several of the membership were not regular in attending services or in meeting upon the first day of every week to break bread. During the first year of Bro. Chapman's ministry all debts were paid and several persons being converted were added to the church. The second year besides paying the pastor an increase in salary, $500 were raised for repairs and beautifying the old building and the substantial growth of the membership continued without ceasing. Old unpleasant memories were forgotten and dismissed and all hearts united in christian love and fellowship. As Mr. Chapman entered his third year's pastorate, the old building was found inadequate to accomodate (sic) the congregations that met to hear him preach and thus hindered the progressive and continued growth of the church. A new building was agitated and finance solicited. Plans were agreed upon, the old building was torn down (except the belfry) and the present beautiful, substantial and commodious edifice was erected by contractors D. Y. Hieslar and A. G. Chessman. The new building was dedicated by Z. T. Sweeney, of Columbus, Ind. Oct. 27, 1901. All indebtedness was provided for and thus marked the gladest day in the history of the York church.



   The building has a seating capacity of 500, and is valued, including lot, at $7000; is furnished with beautiful curve seat and curve back pews, stationed on a slant floor, heated with two splendid furnaces, lighted with electricity and the city water attached to the baptistry (sic). The auditorium is 48 by 50, the lecture room 16 by 32, the two class rooms are 8 by 10 each, the pulpit is large and fronted by a large arch. The ceiling of the auditorium is 22 feet high and thus makes one of the best auditoriums in the city, and a most splendid room in which to speak. The success in building stimulated and increased the faith of the pastor and congregation and the year just closed has been one tilled with victories for the Church of Christ in York. The spiritual life of the church is good and thus the organization is endeavoring to keep the unity of the spirit in the bond of peace and the prestige and standing of the church in the community has been much increased. In addition to building there have been 218 souls added to the church during Bro. Chapman's ministry, and swelling the enrollment to 300.
   The officers of the church at the present time are:


T. J. Winters, chair. of Board,

P. N. Elarth

E. Harlan

R. A. Williams


A. G. Chessman

Ira Harlan

Geo. Paden

A. M. Graham

G. M. Jacobs

Chas Hiett

J. F. Rager


Mrs. Emma Shipman

Mrs. L. N. Lewis


P. N. Elarth, chairman

W. Harlan

M. Payne

J. F. Rager

A. T. Hiett

Geo. Paden

J. B. Frickey, Clerk

R. A. Williams, Treasurer

Heads of auxilleary (sic)
   Mrs. J. B. Frickey, President Senior Y. P. S. C. E.
   Mrs. Geo. Peters, Superintendent Junior Y. P. S. E.
   Mrs. G. J. Chapman, President C. W. B. M.
   Mrs. Emma Shipman, President Aid Society
   J. B. Frickey, Superintendent Bible School



   SUNDAY SCHOOL. There are 150 enrolled in the Sunday School and the school is thoroughly awake and enthusiastic in the study of the word, and meets all appointments for home and foreign missions. J. B. Frickey has been for years and is now efficient and well beloved superintendent. There are 15 officers and teachers. The Sunday School has just begun a Sunday School revival that promises to double the present attendance.

   Y. P. S. C. E. SENIOR. We have 52 active members in the Senior Y. P. S. C. E. These meetings are attended by from 50 to 75 enthusiastic young people. An hour is seldom long enough for all to take part who are moved to do so. The society supports an orphan in India and pays its home and national apportionments for missions and bears a part of the financial burden of the church. Mrs. J. B. Frickey is the much beloved president.

   CHRISTIAN WOMAN'S BOARD OF MISSIONS. The C. W. B. M. has a membership of 22 and meets once a month for prayer and the study of missions. Mrs. G. J. Chapman is the president of this auxiliary. The prayers and good works, of these sisters are felt by the entire church membership.

   Y. P. S. C. E. JUNIORS. The junior's, number 50 and meet once each week for prayer and study of the bible. The children are especially interested in the building of orphanges in heathens lands. Mrs. Geo. Peters is superintendent.

   LADIES' AID SOCIETY. This society is to meet once each week to do work of most any sort that will bring them money to help the needy and the work generally. Much is trusted to the hands of these earnest and hard working sisters. Mrs. Emma Shipman is the president.



Preaching, 10:30 A. M. and 7:30 P. M. (Summer 8:00 P. M.) Bible School, 12:00 M. Junior C. E. 4:00 P. M. Senior C. E. 6:30 P. M. (Summer 7:00 P. M.) Lord's Supper, 11:40 A. M.


   Mid week Prayer Meeting 7:30 P. M. (Summer 8:00 P. M.) C. W. B. M. 2nd Wednesday of each month 3:00 P. M.



G. J. CHAPMAN, Pastor.

   G. J. Chapman was born of Christian parents on a farm in Lawrence Co., Indiana, June 26,1874.
   He came west with his parents in a wagon to eastern Nebraska in 1879, locating on a farm 30 miles north of Omaha. Here Mr. Chapman and his brother John first entered the public schools walking three miles to the little town Hermon.
   A few years later with his parents Mr. Chapman, again in a wagon, moved to south central Nebraska where again he studied in public schools and worked on a farm.
   From Orleans with his parents he moved to Kearney, Nebraska, where he finished the tenth grade studies in the high-school.
   Mr. Chapman was converted in the Christian church when eighteen years of age. He was soon thoroughly convinced the Lord wanted him to preach and having read the Bible from his youth, especially the New Testament, three months after his conversion he began preaching at country points, receiving no pay. So successful was he that in less than a year he was known in Buffalo County, as the "successful boy preacher." Mr. Chapman entered the christian college at Fairfield, Nebraska 1895 beginning the Theological course. The next year Mr. Chapman entered Cotner University, Lincoln, Nebraska, where he studied four years, preaching at different places as student preacher and thus earning his way through school. He was successful at Dorchester this state where he preached, as a student, two years.
   York, Nebraska, his present charge is Mr. Chapman's first located pastorate and is now entering upon his fifth year of successful ministry. Mr. Chapman was married to Miss Myrtle Ayres of Kearney, Nebraska, September 5th, 1898, who has proved to be in every sense a genuine "helpmeet". Two children, a daughter Bernice Lorene, and a son, Alysworth DeWitt have been born to them and their home is one. of faith and happiness in the Lord.

Show picture


previous pageSpacerpicturesSpacercontentsSpacerindexSpacernext page

© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller