NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library


History of the Holy Trinity Church.

Four x bar

   The Episcopal Church in York has been in existance (sic) some 22 years, and a somewhat chequered career it has had. It was organized under the name of St. Mary's mission at a service held in Bell's Hall on October 3, 1881 when the first Bishop of Nebraska preached to a congregation of some 150 people. G. H. Jerome was appointed warden, J. M. Young treasurer, and G. H. Jerome secretary, and Lay Reader, the services were continued at intervals by Rev's F. O'Connell and G. H. Hawkins. At a later date services were held in the Swedish Church.
   After a somewhat protracted interval, services were again held in Bell's Hall in 1885 by the Rev. E. A. Wells of Central City, and at a later service in the Congregational Church several children of R. J. Coles, T. Houston and J. Porter were baptised (sic), Bishop Worthington on the same evening preached his first sermon in York, and again appointed G. H. Jerome warden, with R. J. Coles treasurer and J. N. Jerome secretary, with the latter Geo. Newman and Wm. Manning Lay Readers. It was decided that from now on services were to be held once a month, and $250 was subscribed towards Dioscesan Missions.
   For a time services were held in the Swedish Church by Rev. E. A. Wells who formed the first Ladie's (sic) Guild of the church with the following officers: president Mrs. McCann, secretary Mrs. J. N. Jerome, treasurer Mrs. Talbot. Plans were perfected for using the Swedish Church permanently with a Lay Reader in charge when priestly ministrations were not available.
   On September 8th of this year Bishop Worthington confirmed the following persons, James Houston, W. B. Houston and Andrew Houston.
   At a meeting held subsequently September 6th the name of the mission was changed to Trinity Mission and was served under that name until April 11th 1886, by Rev. E. A. Wells and G. H. Jerome, Lay Reader.

Show picture




   The records of the next ten years are not available, though three clergymen were at various times residents in the Parish, namely, Mr. Gardiner, who performed the first marriage ceremony in the church, uniting in wedlock Mr. and Mrs. Papin who are still strong members of the church, Mr. Simpson who baptised the present warden's daughter Stella, and Mr. Baxter, under whom the church may be said to have had its most prosperous times. At intervals during this period the Bishop visited the Parish and several confirmation services were held.
   The Rev. W. P. N. Wharton M. A. of the University of Darham, first officiated in Holy Trinity Church in October 1896, when he took up his residence at Fairmont, as local missionary. His work brought him to York the third Sunday of each month. He commenced residence in the city September 1st 1897, officiating until August of the following year. During his tenure of office Bishop Graves of the Platte confirmed ten persons. Subsequently Mr. Wharton removed to St. Georges Church, LeMars, Iowa.
   After a period of some three years, Bishop William's sent the Rev. T. Percival Bate to take charge of the mission. And since his advent, mainly owing to the energetic work of the members of the Ladies' Guild, presided over at first by Mrs. Pick and later by Mrs. Eroe, the church has taken oe (sic) a new lease of life. Mr. Crawford, the energetic Sunday School superintendent, ably assisted by Mr. Sorren J. Hedelund, has been a great source of strength in holding up the present incumbents hands, and the prospects are good for a sure and steady increase in church membership.
   Bishop Williams has already visited the little church, to find a splendid welcome and many were unable to find room in the crowded building to listen to his eloquent and inspiring words.
   The people though small in numbers have responded nobly to the Bishops call for funds to-wards securing the permanent residence of the missionary, and today the members of Holy Trinity are paying far more in proportion to its members than any church in York towards the salary of their ministers and the running expenses of the church.



The church has been repainted, electric lights put in, new pavement laid down, sewerage tax paid, new stove erected, a complete set of altar hangings made, and all expenses promptly met as they fall due. Holy Trinity members have no cause to be ashamed of their efforts up to now. The present officers of the church are:

J. M. Jerome, Warden
   G. Chilcote, Treasurer
      R. T. Crawford, Secretary
         Will Houston, Vestryman


Mrs. Eroe, President
   Mrs. Colling, Vice President
      Mrs. Jerome, Treasurer
         Mrs. Snodgrass, Secretary



Mrs. Crawford,

Mrs. Miller,

Mrs. Chilcote,

Miss Newman,

Mrs. Pick,

Mrs. Behling,

Mrs. Nobes,

Miss Jane Nobes,

Miss Houston.


Miss Newman,

Miss McAlister,

Miss Jerome.


Three x bar

T. P. BATE, Rector.

   The Rev. T. Percival Bate, the present rector was born at Forest Hill, Condon, England, where both his father and brother are priests of the church. While senior master of the Royal Grammar School in Colchester Essex, a serious illness sent him abroad, and he subsequently became Head master of the High School Tohamelsburg, South Africa. He has traveled extensively, finally coming to this country from Winnipeg, Canada, where for some time he was physical instructor to the Royal Canadian Dragoons.
   His theological training was gained at three well known Divinity Schools; Denstone, Standfordshire, England, the Western Theological Seminary, Chicago and Seabury Hall, Fairbault, Minnesota.

Show picture

REV. T. P. BATE. Plate XIII.

previous pageSpacerpicturesSpacercontentsSpacerindexSpacernext page

© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller