NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library



Amateur Musical Club.

   This club was organized in 1894 under the name of the "Dilattanti Club" with the following charter members:

Miss Mabel Cobb

Mrs. Floy McConaughy

Mrs. Maud Harrison

 "  Lena Parks

 "  Mabel Jefferay

Miss Grace Reynolds

 "  Winifred Kilner

Mrs. Jennie Sedgwick

 "  Clementine Long

 "  Maud Woods

   The object of the club was to promote the knowledge and enjoyment of the art of music.
   That it has not failed in its object is shown by the ever increasing interest of its members. This 1902 being one of the most successful years since its organization.
   The plan of study has been broad and comprehensive, including some of the best selections from the classic and Romantic schools. Composers have been studied chronologically, and according to their nationality, so that members of this club feel that they have at least a bowing acquaintance with the best (if them from the great Johann Sebastian Bach to those of the present day.
   The study of the Symphony Suite and Danie Foren has been given prominence in such a way as to enable the student to understand and thoroughly enjoy the music of the great Symphony Orchestras.
   One year's work included a, study of the most popular of the Standard Operas.
   The name of this Club was changed in 1897 to "Amateur Musical Club."
   Five "open meetings" and two "artist's recitals" have been given during the eight years of its existance (sic).
   The personnel of the club has changed greatly since its organization, out of the ten charter members, five still remain.
   That music clubs are a great educational factor in the



development of good music all over the country, can not be questioned. They keep the singer, the pianist, the violinist, and the teacher in touch with the best that there is in music, and the Amateur Musical Club having had high ideals from the beginning will say that "the great purpose of music is to say a thing that you mean deeply, in the strongest and clearest possible way."

The Review and Art Club.

   This was organized in 1896 with a membership limited to eighteen. The first year's work was the study of Art, reviews of new books and Browning. The second year the same program was continued with a study of American Art and three Browning dramas, Colombe's Birthday, A Soul's Tragedy and Luria. The third year the program was a survey of Greek and Roman architecture and sculpture, book reviews, and Browning,-- eight short poems and three dramas.
   In 1899 the plan of study was considerably changed. Each meeting was devoted to a discussion of one of the Old Masters, with current events to complete the program. In 1900 the club studied Dutch and Early German-Art, English Literature of Queen Anne's time, and current events. At the close of the year the membership was increased to twenty-four, and a program of foreign travel, and English and French Art was presented for 1901 1902.
   The program for 1902 1903 is foreign travel and Shakespeare. The club meets every alternate Saturday at the home of one of the members. The study of Art continued year after year, has been of great interest and profit. The ladies have become familiar with the masterpieces of ancient and modern times and have found genuine delight in preparing papers and collecting pictures. Every club member has felt that while the study of Art is pleasurable, there is the added satisfaction of constantly acquiring that which keeps her in touch with other club women and the rest of the world.



The Avon Club.

   The Avon Club was founded on November 14,1894. The charter members were, Mesdames George Chilote, C. C. Cobb, C. M. Cowan, E. A. Gilbert, D. J. Hamilton, H. S. Harrison, W. A. Harrison, G. H. Jerome, John S. Knott, C. A. McCloud, John A. Pierson, A. J. Ryan, D. E. Sedgwick, S. H. Sedwick, T. E. Sedgwick and Duncan Smith.

    As the chief study for years was the works of Shakespeare the club was named The Avon. The club was federated in 1897 with Mrs. Ryan as its first President. During the years of its existence the members have studied Shakespeare, Tennyson's Idyll's of the King, Parliamentary Law, Current Events and Book Reviews. They have also made a systematic study of the countries of Germany, France and England and the Art of all countries.
   The present year is devoted to the study of America. The Avon Club has been honored in having one of its members, Miss Hill, elected Secretary of the State Federation of Woman's Clubs and Mrs. Stephens is at present Chief of the Reciprocity Bureau of the State Federation.
   The membership is limited to twenty members and the meetings are held on the first and third Wednesdays of the month from October to May.
   The present members are:

   Miss Annie Beck , Mrs. Ida Bell, Mrs. Emma Brown, Mrs. Clara Carscadden, Mrs. Lydia Clark, Mrs. Bertha Copsey, Mrs. Maria Cowan, Mrs. Etta Harrison, Mrs. Helen Harrison, Miss Mary Hill, Mrs. Adelaide Jerome, Mrs. Flora McCloud, Mrs. Lena Mead, Mrs. Lucy Northup, Mrs. Laura Post, Mrs. Lottie Ryan, Mrs. Clara Sedgwick, Mrs. Jennie Sedgwick, Mrs. Jennie Stephens, Mrs. May Wyckoff.

   The officers of the Club for this year are: President, Mrs. Clara Sedgwick; Vice President, Mrs. Etta Harrison;



   Secretary, Mrs. Helen Harrison; Treasurer, Mrs. Lottie Ryan; Critic, Mrs. Cowan.
   The Program Committee for this year consists of Mrs. Bell, Mrs. McCloud and Mrs. Stephens.
   At present the Avon Club meets in the Club Room of the new Wood's Library Building which has been so nicely furnished by the City Improvement Society and which the Library Board gave the Clubs of the City the privilege of using for their meetings for five years.
   The Avon Club has always been generous to the Library having given valuable donations of Art Books and support whenever needed, for the members of the club are firm believers in their motto, "Tis the mind that makes the body rich"

Six x bar

The Womans Club.

   The Womans Club was organized at the home of Mrs. C. C. Cobb, November, 1894. It is to be a permanent organization, not to exceed 30 members. Its object is for self improvement, mutual help, sympathy and counsel, and united effort toward the higher civilization of humanity. The club is composed of committees representing these lines of work; viz: Rome, Education, Art, Literature, Philanthropy and science. The underlying principle of "The Womans Club" is the acquisition of knowledge, seeking to cultivate on broad grounds the spirit of unity and fellowship, enlarging their sphere of action until they include all classes and all lines of endeavor. It has been well said, the Club is maintained, not for the sake of the club, but for the members composing it, and with increasing knowledge of the needs will come increasing influence, which will help to put the best within the roach of all, and make all better able to decide



what in realy (sic) the best. Our Womans Club began with the following "Charter Members:"

Mrs. C. C. Cobb,

Mrs. M. J. Hammond,

 "  R. T. Cross,

 "  W. Sanford,

 "  J. W. Steward,

 "  C. C. Boston,

 "  Anna Clark,

 "  G. B. France,

 "  L. M. Street,

 "  G. W. Shrock,

Mrs. Josie Sorrenberger.

   There are only four of the charter members in the club at present. Five have moved away from York, one still a resident of York and one has passed over the River; Mrs. Sorrenberger, being the first to bid us a long farewell.
   Mrs. C. C. Cobb was elected President during the years of 1894-1897, with Mrs. G. B. France, Mrs. W. D. Mead and Mrs. Geo. Shreck as Secretaries. Mrs. W. D. Mead was elected President during the years 1897-1898, with Miss Grace Moore, Secretary. Mrs. Cobb was again elected President from 1898-1899, with Mrs. Emma Wellman, Secretary. Mrs. D. T. Moore was elected President from 1899 1902, with Mrs. Anna Clark and Mrs. E. M. Worthington as recording Secretaries. Mrs. Cobb elected President from 1902 1903, with Mrs. Worthington as secretary.There are only four of the charter members in the club at present. Five have moved away from York, one still a resident of York and one has passed over the River; Mrs. Sorrenberger, being the first to bid us a long farewell.

   We are proud of the fact that the Woman's Club is the oldest club in the city, and we are sure good work has been done. Never has there been such great opportunities to reach out the helping hand as at present, and

"The warp and woof may be woven fast
Linked in sympathy like the keys of an organ vast.
SpacerMRS. C. C. COBB.

Seven x bar



D. W. PAYNE, Plumber,

   D. W. Payne was born in Malone, N. Y., Sept. 13, 1865. Received a common school education and entered Franklin Academy for one year. Served an apprenticeship at each of the following trades: Carpenter, Tinner, Plumber, and Steam Fitter. His specialty is heating and ventilating, in which he has served the public for 18 years.
   Mr. Payne has a horough (sic) knowledge of sanitary plumbing in all its details. He started his present business, in York, in 1898 without a dollar of capital. His stock now invoices $4,000. One price to all, small profits and large patronage is his motto. He carries in stock the latest and up-to-date lines of enameled bath room fixtures and a large stock of furnaces and hot water boilers in season.
   This year Mr. Payne contemplates putting in an electric motor for power and a large pipe machine for cutting and threading pipe, so that he will be in shape to handle as large a work as is done in the steam and hot water line, in this section of the country.
   He has installed heating apparatus in Stromsburg, Osceola, and Fairmont schools, and heating and plumbing in twenty residences, last year. He now employs six men and will have one of the most complete and well equipped shops in Nebraska.





Seven x bar


Baker Bros

Show picture




Show picture

Advertisements at Back of Book

previous pageSpacerpicturesSpacercontentsSpacerindexSpacerOnline library
© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller