The first election for County officers was held on the 26th day of Aril [sic], 1870, and resulted as follows: Commissioners, S. V. Moore, David Bussard, and L. F. Wyman; Clerk, Edward Bates; Treasurer, J. W. Frost; Sheriff, Geo. Flock; Probate Judge, D. T. Moore; Superintendent Public Instruction, W. H. Armstrong; Coroner, Randolph Fairbanks; Surveyor, Frank Manning.
At this election York was selected as the County Seat.
CHURCHES.--There are at present sixteen Church buildings in the County, and in the Precincts where Churches have not yet been erected, religious services are regularly held in the school houses.
PUBLIC SCHOOLS.--The number of districts is eighty-four; school houses, sixty-nine; children of school age, males, 1,702, females, 1,583, total, 3,285; whole number that attended school during the year, 2,358; qualified teachers employed, males, forty.seven, females, seventy-five; wages paid teachers for the year, males, $4,283.50, females, $6,618, total, $10,901.50; value of school houses, $21,495.72; value of sites, $840; value of books and apparatus, $994.50.
TAXABLE PROPERTY.--Acres of land, 319,991; average value per acre, $2.30. Value of town lots, $86,416. Money invested in merchandise, 39,530; money used in manufactures, $2,420; horses, 4,755, value $146,994; mules and asses, 434, value $17,449; neat cattle, 5,647, value $44,167; sheep 1,383, value $1,151; swine 17,262, value $10,118; vehicles 2,389, value $20,559; moneys and credits, $8,978; mortgages, $13,078; stocks, etc., $18,220; furniture, $21,400; libraries, 1,257; property not enumerated, $55,955; railroads, $52,278.07; telegraph, $562.95; total valuation for 1879, $1,278,953.02.
RAILROADS.--The Nebraska Railway runs from east to west through the central portion of the County, a distance of twenty-four miles.
LANDS.--Improved lands are held at from $6 to $25 per acre, according to location. The Burlington and Missouri Railroad Company owns 30,000 acres here, for which from $1 to $10 per acre is asked.
POPULATION.--The County is divided into nine voting Precincts, the population of each in 1879, being as follows: Stewart,
885; Houston, 737; North Blue, 776; Baker, 905; Beaver Creek, 952; York, 1,879; West Blue, 1,035; Woodruff, 930; Henderson, 1,070.
Total, 9,112,--males, 4,944, females, 4,168.
The County Seat, is handsomely laid out on a well-drained and gently sloping stretch of land on the north bank of Beaver Creek, and at the geographical center of the County. The Nebraska Railway was completed to this point in the fall of 1877, since which time the population and business of the town have increased more than 100 per cent., it having at present 1,200 inhabitants. It contains three school houses, four Churches, two newspapers--the Tribune and Republican, four dry goods, four grocery, three hardware, four drug, five agricultural implement, three furniture, two harness, two boot and shoe, two clothing and six millinery stores, five hotels, two bakeries, three meat markets, five livery stables, five blacksmith and two wagon shops, one foundry, two lumber yards, one flouring mill, four grain elevators, etc.
Is a promising new town of 250 inhabitants, located on the Nebraska Railway, six miles east of the County Seat. It contains a grain elevator, several stores and other business establishments.
Is a flourishing village of about 100 inhabitants, situated on the North Fork of the Blue, in the northwestern part of the County.
PLAINFIELD, WESTFIELD, BLUE VALLEY, McFADDEN, INDIAN CREEK, SEELEY, DANA, LONG HOPE, PALO, THAYER, CRESWELL and EUREKA, are in the County.
© 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Pam Rietsch, T&C Miller