HON. P. H. EIGHMY.
fifty-first district, composed of the counties of Brown and
Rock, has an able, but unassuming representative in the
house in the person of Hon. P. H. Eighmy, of Long Pine. He
was born in Middletown, New York, April 9, 1839, and at the
age of sixteen became a railroad engineer, was given charge
of a locomotive, and followed that business until the
breaking out of the rebellion. He enlisted in the
Fifty-sixth New York Volunteers, known as the "Tenth
Legion," under Colonel C. H. Van Wyck, whom he remembers as
one of the kindest of officers. After the war he came west
and for a number of years represented the Singer Sewing
Machine at Fort Dodge, Iowa. In 1877 he became a member of
the Northwest Iowa Methodist Conference and was stationed
successively at Spirit Lake, Spencer, Algona, Belmont, and
Sanborn, and became widely and favorably known among his
fellow ministers and parishioners. For twenty-seven years he
was closely identified with the growth of northwest Iowa,
and in 1893 was transferred to the northwest Nebraska
conference and stationed at Long Pine. He was honored with
the chaplaincy for the department of Nebraska, Grand Army of
the Republic. In 1896 he was
elected as a republican from his district by a small majority. He is a member of the committees on school lands and funds, internal improvements, constitutional amendments, and soldiers' home.
HON. FREDERICK W. ENDORF.
FREDERICK W. ENDORF, representative from thirty-first
district, was born in Germany in 1846, and arrived in
America in 1867, where he at once engaged in labor, working
in a store, and afterwards as a farm hand in Will county. He
married Miss Caroline Heideman, of Crete, Illinois, and came
with his young wife to Saline county, Nebraska, in 1871,
took up an eighty-acre homestead, lived in a dugout for five
years, roughing it, but attending strictly to business. He
has become one of the most prosperous farmers in his
district, and now owns 400 acres of valuable land. He has a
family of nine children, six of whom are boys. Mr. Endorf
has served the people of his precinct as assessor for nine
years. In 1896 he was nominated for the legislature by the
fusionists and was elected. Mr. Endorf's eighteen-year-old
son is preparing for the ministry, and is now at Concordia
College, Milwaukee. This is Mr. Endorf's first term in the
islature, but notwithstanding that, his recognition from the beginning placed him upon five important standing committees, as follows: Roads and bridges, penitentiary, labor, immigration, and school lands and funds.
HON. WILLIAM S. FELKER.
of the democrats elected by the people of the tenth district
to the lower house is Hon. William S. Felker, of Omaha. He
was born in Howell, Maine, in 1837, and his early life was
spent in the city of Chicago, where he was educated in the
public schools; afterwards studied law and was admitted to
the bar in 1856. He practiced his profession in the
metropolis of the west until 1883, when he located in Omaha.
He has always been actively identified with the democratic
party, and was one of the enthusiastic supporters of Stephen
A. Douglas, when that distinguished statesman was a
candidate for United States senator. Mr. Felker was at one
time a judge in Chicago, and has served one term prior to
this in the Nebraska legislature. He holds the position of
chairman on the important committee known as banks and
currency, and is the author of what is termed the "Scrip
Law." He makes few speeches, but is an industrious member,
and has very decided opinions on all important public
tions. He serves with ability on the committees on judiciary, corporations, telegraph, telephone and electric lights.
HON. MARTIN C. FERNOW.
forty-fifth district is represented in the house by Hon.
Martin C. Fernow, of Roseland, Adams county. He was born in
Des Moines county, Iowa, in 1869, and came, to Nebraska with
his parents in 1879 and engaged in farming and school
teaching. He is a member of the Evangelical church, having
joined that society at an early age. Largely by his own
efforts he obtained a good common school education, which
was supplemented by a two years' course in Hastings College.
Since 1890 he has divided his attention between teaching and
farming. In 1891 he married Miss Emma J. Hart, of Roseland.
He is a member of the A. O. U. W., A. F. & A. M. This is
Mr. Fernow's first experience as a legislator, although he
has been a student of current economic questions, somewhat
active in local politics, and a devotee of the doctrines of
the populist party. He is of a retiring disposition, and has
preferred the quiet enjoyment of home life to the strife of
political contest. Mr. Fernow is chairman of the
penitentiary committee, and a member of the committees on
judiciary, railroads, and rules.