NEGenWeb Project
Resource Center
On-Line Library




tional affairs. In politics he has always been a republican, and was elected on that ticket to the regency in 1893. Mr. Weston is a successful business man, has been a life-long student, and has devoted much study to history, political science, and public finance. He is at present engaged in mercantile and banking business, being president of the Northwestern State Bank of his home city.


PictureSpacerIcon or sketchILLARD KIMBALL, director of the University School of Music, was born in Columbus, Ohio, August 10, 1854. He showed at an early age much aptitude for music. His father, a large car manufacturer, died when the son was ten years old, and the family soon after moved to Oberlin, Ohio, on account of superior educational advantages. Here he commenced the study of the piano under the most thorough instructors. He graduated in 1873 from the conservatory with high honors and immediately sailed for Europe, where he spent two years in the study of piano, organ, and counterpoint under famous masters at Leipsic. Upon his return he was chosen as instructor at Oberlin, but in a few months was offered and accepted the position as director of the conservatory in connec-



tion with Iowa College at Grinnell, which was established when he assumed the position, and which became under his management the most thorough and prosperous school of music in the state. In 1894 he was induced to leave Grinnell to undertake the development of a similar project in connection with our own State University, where, with greater facilities and a broader field, he has succeeded in less than three years in establishing a school for the higher study of music especially intended for the training of teachers, and is rapidly extending its influence. The conservatory building is located opposite the University campus and is complete in its appointments. The school has a full corps of instructors and offers advantages for the study of music unsurpassed in the country.


Icon or sketchHE University of Nebraska was originally founded by an act of the legislature entitled "An act to establish the University of Nebraska," which took effect February 15, 1869.
   The University as organized first opened its doors on September 7, 1871.
   The government of the University is vested in a Board of Regents, elected by the people, and serving in three classes in terms of six years each. The chancellor and faculty are appointed by the Board of Regents. The board consists at present of the following gentlemen: C. H. Morrill, president, Lincoln; E. A. Hadley, Scotia; Chas. W. Kaley, Red Cloud; Chas. Weston, Hay Springs;



H. L. Goold, Ogallala; Thos. Rawlings, Wakefield. By appointment of the board, J. S. Dales serves as secretary.
   The faculty consists of George E. MacLean, LL. D., chancellor, and thirty-four professors. These, together with other instructors, make a total of ninety-five. The number of students enrolled last year was 1,506.
   By amendment of the original act of 1869 a tax is provided for the support of the University of three eighths of a mill per dollar upon the grand assessment roll of the state. To be added to this are income from land leases and sales under the land grant act of congress of 1862, for the benefit of the Industrial College, and under the enabling act reserving seventy-two sections of land for the State University; also the money grant by the act of congress of August, 1890, commonly known as the "Morrill Fund" act, and the agricultural experiment station act of 1887. The total annual aggregate approximately of revenue from these several sources, and including fees, is $130,000.
   The University of Nebraska comprises the following named Colleges and schools:
   The Graduate School, A. H. Edgren, Dean.
   The College of Literature, Science, and the Arts, L. A. Sherman, Dean.
   The Industrial College, C. E. Bessey, Dean.
   The College of Law, M. B. Reese, Dean.
   The School of Agriculture, T. L. Lyon, Director.
   The School of Mechanic Arts, C. R. Richards, Director.
   The Sugar School, H. H. Nicholson, Director.
   Special Professional Courses.
   The Summer School, C. E. Bessey, Director.

Prior page
General index
Next page

© 1999, 2000, 2001 for NEGenWeb Project by Geil Wiggins, Ted & Carole Miller