VIEW OF THE HATCHING HOUSE, STATE FISH HATCHERY, SOUTH BEND.
PRESIDENT FISH COMMISSION.
WILLIAM L. MAY, president of the Nebraska Fish Commission,
is a native of Ohio, and was educated in the public schools
and academies of that state.
He came to Nebraska in 1861, started as a clerk and
afterwards became a member of the wholesale grocery firm of
May Bros. of Fremont. In 1878 and 1879 he was president of
the State Sportsmen's Association, origi-
nated the idea, prepared and secured the passage of the law establishing a fish commission, and was appointed and elected as its first president. In 1888 he was chosen president of the American Fisheries Society, and was again honored with that position in 1893. Since 1883 he has been a member of the executive committee of the last named organization, and is now its chairman. He was a member of the departmental jury of judges of the fisheries department of the World's Fair, and served with marked ability and distinction. For eighteen years he has been connected with our state fish commission. He initiated the plan of fish exhibits at the Nebraska state fairs, and has had supervision of these interesting and useful object lessons. He was prominently urged as the choice of the west for United States commissioner of fish and fisheries, and was strongly supported by Secretary Morton of the last administration. Commissioner May most happily combines the qualities of business and enthusiasm in his administration of this important department.
JOHN S. KIRKPATRICK, member of the Nebraska Fish Commission,
was born in Fayette county, Iowa, October 23, 1858. His
parents were of Scotch-Irish descent, but the family for
three generations had been native Americans. His father
served in the war of the rebellion as a member of the Iowa
Volunteer Infantry, and the family moved to Madison county,
Iowa, immediately after the war, remaining
until 1873, when they came to Clay county, Nebraska,
where they now reside. John S. was educated in the common
schools of Iowa and Nebraska, took a two years' course in
Western College, Iowa, and taught several terms in the
central west. He began the study of law in St. Paul, this
state, in the spring of 1880, was ad-
mitted to the bar, and located in Broken Bow, where he
practiced with success for thirteen years. He was employed
as county attorney by the commissioners of Custer county in
the spring of 1882 and served until the passage of the law
constituting that position an elective office, after which
he was elected, served one term, and declined a re-election.
In 1896 he was unanimously nomi-