ASSISTANT, PHYSICIAN HASTINGS ASYLUM.
T. STEELE, M.D., assistant physician of the Asylum for the
Chronic Insane at Hastings, was born in Boston,
Massachusetts, in 1857. At an early age he moved with his
parents to Manchester, Iowa, completed his high school
studies, and entered the State University at Iowa City,
taking the regular academic course. He then entered Rush
Medical College, and received his diploma from that
institution February 19, 1884. The following April he came
to Nebraska, located at Hastings, and engaged in the
practice of his profession with a high degree of success. He
married Miss Luella Hughes, of Lexington, Kentucky, December
28, 1887. Dr. Steele is a thoroughly educated, careful,
competent, and conscientious physician, enjoying an enviable
state reputation. While closely devoted to his official and
professional duties, he is a citizen who may always be
relied upon to forward public or benevolent enterprises. He
was appointed city physician of Hastings in 1883, and
received his appointment from the governor of Nebraska to
his present position August 1, 1895.
STEWARD HASTINGS ASYLUM.
ANDREW J. SCOTT, of Kearney, steward of the Asylum for the
Chronic Insane at Hastings, was born in Raleigh county, West
Virginia, in 1849, and grew to manhood on the farm. In 1872
he married Miss Mary E. Brooke, of Sullivan, Illinois, and
his family consists of three sons and one daughter. He has
been a member of the Christian church in good standing since
1865. He came to Nebraska in 1878, homesteaded in Buffalo
county, and lived there eighteen years. He served two years
as town clerk, two years as justice of the peace, and the
same length of time as a member of the board of supervisors.
In 1892 he was elected to the house as representative from
Buffalo county, and was re-elected in 1894. He resigned at
the close of the twenty-fourth session, and was appointed
steward of the Hastings institution by Governor Holcomb.
This office he still holds, and is known to the public men
of the state as a faithful and efficient public servant. Mr.
Scott is one of the best known populists in western
Nebraska, and has always been true to every trust committed
to his charge.
STEWARD INSTITUTE FOR THE BLIND.
B. S. LITTLEFIELD, steward of the Institute for the Blind at
Nebraska City, was born in East Bridgewater, Massachusetts,
January 21, 1862, of Puritan stock, and points to a
genealogical line reaching back to the Pilgrims of the
Mayflower. His father and mother, at the age of eighty, are
still living on the old homestead, where they celebrated
their golden wedding in June, 1895. Young Littlefield came
to Nebraska in 1884, and taught for a number of years, two
of which he was employed as an instructor in the Lincoln
Business College. In 1889 he became editor of a Lincoln
newspaper, afterwards known as the Nebraska State
Laborer. This paper represented the trades assemblies
and other organizations, and made its mark in the field of
reform. Mr. Littlefield was a caustic, fearless, and
brilliant writer, exposing official corruption vigorously
and without compromise. He located in Perkins county in
1892, and was chosen one of the secretaries of the senate in
the legislature of 1893. In the fall of that year he was
elected county judge on the populist ticket. In 1896 he did
valiant service for the fusion cause, and was appointed to
his present position last January. He was married April 29,
1896, to Miss Hannah Andrews, of Syracuse, daughter of Hon.
Edwin Andrews, an old settler and prominent business
INSTITUTION FOR THE BLIND, NEBRASKA CITY.