This is a NEGenWeb
Project On-Line Library
| Cherry |
| Cuming |
Chase county was
named in honor of Champion S. Chase who was at one time mayor of
Omaha, Nebraska. The county was organized in 1886. The boundaries
were defined by an act approved February 27, 1873. Mr. Chase was the
first attorney general of the state.
- Best. Best post office was named in honor of its first
postmistress, Mrs. Ethel M. Best, who began her term of office in
1902. It is an inland post office in the southwestern part of
Chase county in Valley precinct.
- Blanche. A post office in the northeastern part of
Chase county in Enterprise precinct. It was named after the
daughter of G. C. Davis, the first postmaster.
- Champion. The town of Champion was named in honor of
Champion S. Chase, late of Omaha, Nebraska. The precinct has the
- Chase. This post office took its name from the county
in which it is situated. This post office is in Macedonia
- Enders. This town was named for a ranchman who lived in
the vicinity. The town was laid out by the Lincoln Land Company
and was so named by the company.
- Imperial. Thomas Mercier homesteaded the land on which
this town is located and also laid out and named the town-site.
Mr. Mercier was an emigrant from Canada and it is supposed that he
named the town either after a town in Canada or after the British
Imperial government. Imperial is the county seat of Chase county.
The precinct is also named Imperial.
- Lamar. Named after Lucius Q. C. Lamar, secretary of the
interior in President Cleveland's cabinet and later an associate
justice of the supreme court of the United States. The precinct
has the same name.
- Wauneta. The town of Wauneta was named by its early
settlers after the popular song Juanita. It was the
intention to keep the spelling of the name of the song but since
there was already a town in Nebraska named Juniata, the spelling
was modified to Wauneta in order to prevent confusion. Gannett's
account of place names erroneously states that wauneta is
an Indian word meaning "winter camp." The precinct is also called
Cherry county was
named in honor of Lieutenant Samuel A. Cherry, Fifth United States
cavalry, who was murdered May 11, 1881, about eight miles north of
Fort Niobrara, near Rock creek, Dakota. The boundaries were defined
by an act of the legislature approved February 23, 1883. The claim is
made that it is the largest county in the United States.
- Arabia. Henry V. Ferguson of Sioux City, Iowa, auditor
for the railway, named this town after Arabia in Asia because he
imagined that the soil in the vicinity resembled the desert sands
of Arabia. This assumption proved incorrect, however, for the soil
was found to be very fertile.
- Banner. A former post office in Wells precinct.
- Big Creek. The original post office was situated in Big
Creek valley, the headwaters of Big Creek, and the name of the
valley and creek was given to the post office.
- Brownlee. When this town was first established there
were two brothers-in-law in business as partners. Their wives were
sisters whose maiden names were Brownlee and this town was named
- Burge. This post office was named in honor of Toney
Burge, a stock grower in the vicinity.
- Calf Creek. A locality and a precinct in the southern
part of Cherry county, named after Calf Creek valley which is an
old river bed.
- Capwell. A locality and a former post office in Buffalo
Lake precinct, named for Mr. Allen B. Capwell, an early
homesteader in the vicinity.
- Cascade. J. F. Keller suggested the name Cascade for
the post office here and it was accepted by the department at
- Cashswan. A locality and a former, inland post office
in the southern part of Cherry county, named after the postmaster,
Cassius Swan, who shortened his name to Cash Swan.
- Cherry. This post office was established in 1907 and
named by Mrs. R. F. Osborne, wife of the postmaster, after the
county in which it is situated.
- Chesterfield. This post office was established by a Mr.
Waite on his ranch on Boardman's creek in 1896 or 1897. It is
stated that Mr. Waite (a scholar and a "gentleman," a little above
the rest of the "natives") named his post office
- Cody. This town was named for Thomas Cody of Iowa who
was a foreman of the water supply construction gang while the
railroad was being built in the vicinity in 1885.
- Crookston. Crookston was named for W. T. Crook who was
a yard master of the railroad at Valentine when the railroad was
being built through this part of the state. The Pioneer Town-Site
Company platted this town in 1894. The precinct has the same
- Curlew. Curlew post office was named for the bird,
curlew, there being quite a number in the vicinity when the office
was established. It is in Steen precinct, in the southern part of
Cherry county. There is also a place or neighborhood called Curlew
in the northeastern part of Cherry county, in the eastern part of
- Eli. This town was named for Mr. Daniel Webster
Hitchcock whose nickname was "Get-there-Eli." Mr. Hitchcock at
that time worked for a locating engineer (Captain J. E. Ainsworth)
in the the vicinity. At first the town was called the full
"Get-there-Eli" but when it was permanently named only the last
part of the nickname was used. The precinct has the same name.
- Elizabeth. This post office was named by its
postmaster, John M. Nehling, in honor of his eldest daughter, now
Mrs. William H. Wilkinson of this place.
- Elsmere. This place is situated near the southeastern
corner of Cherry county, in Elsmere precinct. It and the precinct
were probably named after Mrs. Humphry Ward's one time popular
novel entitled Robert Elsmere. The office was established
in 1899 on the homestead of Parkerson R. Giles, the first
- Enlow. A locality and a precinct in the western part of
Cherry county, named after William Enlow, a local resident.
- Erik. Erik post office was named by Mrs. Erik P.
Eriksen in honor of her husband. It is in Kinneyville precinct. In
1924 Mr. Eriksen was elected county judge of Hooker county.
- Ethel. A locality and a former post office in Buffalo
Lake precinct, named after the daughter of Mr. Luenstra, the
postmaster and a homesteader.
- Fern. The post office here was established at the home
of K. F. Kimes and named in honor of his second daughter. This
office was discontinued about a year ago. The precinct has the
- Gilaspie. A locality and a precinct in the central part
of Cherry county, named after Robert F. Gilaspie, a local
- Harmony. The school district in this vicinity was named
after a district in Iowa. Later when a post office was established
it also took the name of Harmony. Harmony is in Table
- Hire. Hire post office was named in honor of a pioneer,
John C. Hire, at whose home the office was first established. Hire
is near the northeast corner of Cherry county in Sparks
- Irwin. This town was named in honor of Bennett Irwin
who started the first cattle ranch in the surrounding country, one
time foreman of Newman's ranch. The precinct has the same
- Kennedy. This office was named after B. E. B. Kennedy
of Omaha, Nebraska. The precinct has the same name.
- Kilgore. This town was named in honor of one of the
first settlers in the vicinity.
- King. King post office was named in honor of its first
postmaster, a Mr. King, the local storekeeper.
- Kinneyville. A locality and a precinct in the southern
part of Cherry county, named by the men of the Standard Cattle
Company that had headquarters here, for Mr. Kinney, a resident in
- Lackey. A locality and a precinct in the southern part
of Cherry county, named after Mr. Lackey, an old resident in the
- Lake. A locality and a former post office in Barley
precinct, so named because of numerous lakes in the vicinity.
- Lavaca. This place is located in Lavaca precinct. It
and the precinct were probably named after a river, county, and
bay in Texas. The name is a corruption of les vaches, the
cows, given by the French explorer, La Salle, because of the
presence of many buffaloes. An erroneous local surmise is that the
place was named after an original postmaster. It is probable that
the name was imported by some of the Texas men connected with the
Zeke Newman's Twelve Mile ranch located in the vicinity.
- Lewanna. The name for this post office was formed by a
Mr. Lewellen on whose ranch the office was established. He wished
to name the office Lewellen, but since there was already a
Lewellen post office in the state, he combined part of his own
name with the name of his daughter, Anna, into Lewanna.
- Lund. The first postmaster was Alfred Lund after whom
the village is named. The village is on the east side of Russell
- Martindale. This place is in King precinct and
doubtless was named after James O. Martin, the postmaster. The
post office has been discontinued.
- Merriman. This post office was named for John Merriman,
train master in charge of construction trains on the railroad at
the time when the road was built through the vicinity. The name
was first spelled Merryman, but when the post office was
established the spelling was changed to Merriman.
- Middle Prong. A locality and a precinct in the southern
part of Cherry county, named after the middle prong of the Loup
river which runs through the precinct.
- Nenzel. This town was named in honor of George Nenzel,
an early settler and owner of the land on which the town-site is
located. The precinct has the same name.
- Newton. This post office was established in 1897 and
named after Isaac Newton Russell, an early local settler, who
worked for the establishment of the post office. It is on
Boardman's creek in Gilaspie precinct.
- Oasis. This post office was established in 1890 at the
ranch home of William H. Stratton who named it Oasis because the
location had much sand with a small lake near the house.
Afterwards the post office was moved to another place and later
- Prentice. Prentice was named for its postmaster,
Benjamin F. Prentice who established the office in October, 1906,
and has been postmaster since that time.
- Pullman. The Pullman post office was named for the
Pullman brothers, Willam, Philip, and John, who homesteaded the
site of the old Pullman office at an early date. This office was
- Reeves. A locality and a precinct in the southern part
of Cherry county, named for a local settler from Virginia.
- Riege. Named after Peter Riege, the first postmaster,
who settled on the Niobrara river in 1881.
- Rita Park. Rita Park post office was named by A. L.
Stewart, now on the staff of the Nebraska State Journal at
Lincoln, for his daughter Rita. This office has been discontinued.
It was in Calf Creek precinct.
- Rolf. This post office was named in honor of the
youngest son of Charles M. Kime who at one time conducted the post
office and a little store at his ranch home. It is near Boardman's
creek in the southeastern part of Enlow precinct.
- Roxby. Roxby is an abridgment of Roxbury. The town was
named after Roxbury Station, Connecticut.
- Simeon. This post office was established during the
summer of 1885 at the ranch home of Simeon Mortgareidge and was
named for him. Elias Stillwell was the first postmaster.
- Soudan. This town was named after the Soudan region in
central Africa, south of the Sahara and Libyan deserts. The name
is derived from a word meaning black or "the land of the blacks."
The town of Soudan, Nebraska, was so named because it is located
in the Black Hills region.
- Sparks. This place is situated near the northeastern
corner of Cherry county in Sparks precinct. It and the precinct
were named after early local residents. Four brothers, Eldon,
James Allen, Charles, and Levi Sparks settled in the vicinity and
laid out a town on the land belonging to Eldon and named it Sparks
- Survey. Survey post office was first located in Survey
valley and received its name from this source. The valley was
called Survey because the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad
ran a railway survey through the vicinity from O'Neill to
- Thatcher. This place was named for James M. Thatcher,
the United States post trader at Fort Niobrara. Thatcher is in the
northeastern part of Schlagle precinct.
- Trouble. A locality and a former, inland post office in
the west central part of Cherry county, presumably so named by
Lerton Jay, the postmaster.
- Valentine. This town was named in honor of Edward
Kimball Valentine who for three terms, from 1879 onward, was
congressman from this district. Valentine is the county seat of
- Vian. Vian was named after Millard W. Vian, the first
postmaster, and an old settler in the vicinity.
- Wells. This place is in Wells precinct in the southern
part of Cherry county. It and the precinct were so named because a
local settler had put down a number of desirable wells in the
- Wood Lake. This town was named after a near-by lake
which is situated on the west side and on whose shores was
practically the only timber to be found in the locality. The
precinct has the same name.
was separated from Lincoln county on June 6, 1871. It was named after
the Cheyenne tribe of Indians, members of the Algonquian family who
were at one time residents of the vicinity.
- Brownson. Brownson is a station on the Union Pacific
railroad in Bronson precinct. It and the precinct were probably
named for an early local settler.
- Clara. Clara is an inland locality in Bronson precinct.
It was probably named after a local resident
- Colton. Colton is a station on the Union Pacific
railroad in Colton precinct. It and the precinct were probably
named after a local resident.
- Dalton. Dalton is a station on the Chicago, Burlington,
and Quincy railroad in the northern part of Cheyenne county. It
was probably named for Dalton, Massachusetts.
- Dye. This post office is located in the southwest part
of Cheyenne county, in Chambers precinct, near the west county
line. It was named for Lida F. Dye, the postmaster.
- Henry. Henry is an inland place in the northern part of
Cheyenne county in Valley precinct. It was probably named for a
- Herndon. Herndon is a station on the Union Pacific
railroad in Bronson precinct.
- Higgins. Higgins is an inland locality in Davison
precinct. It was named for a local settler.
- Ickes. Ickes is located in Davison precinct. It was
named for Adam Ickes, an early county treasurer.
- Leafdale. This post office is situated in Trodnitz
precinct and was named after Anthony M. Leafdale, the
- Lodgepole. This town received its name from Lodgepole
creek. Lodgepole creek was so named because the Indians cut so
many lodge poles for their tepees from its banks. The precinct has
the same name. Lodgepole creek is a literal translation of the
Dakota name, Tushu Wakpala.
- Lorenzo. Lorenzo is a station on the Chicago,
Burlington, and Quincy railroad in the southern part of Cheyenne
- Margate. Margate is a station on the Union Pacific
railroad in Sidney precinct.
- Potter. Named after General Potter, at one time
commander of troops in western Nebraska and a shareholder in the
Union Pacific railway. The precinct has the same name.
- Sextorp. This is an inland place in the northwestern
part of Cheyenne county in Trodnitz precinct.
- Sidney. The town of Sidney was named in honor of Sidney
Dillon, a New York attorney, who was general solicitor in New York
for the Union Pacific Railroad Company. Mr. Dillon was a man of
high intellectual attainments, the author of Dillon's Municipal
Law, etc. His position with the railroad company brought him
recognition in the naming of the towns along the railroad. At the
time Sidney was named it was regarded as an important place on
account of its being the railroad terminus of the route to the
Black Hills, and also because it was the site of a government
fort. Sidney is the county seat of Cheyenne county. The precinct
has the same name.
- Sunol. Sunol is a station on the Union Pacific railroad
in Lodge Pole precinct.
- Weyerts. Weyerts is an inland locality in the northern
part of Lodge Pole precinct. It was probably named for an early
Clay county was
named for Henry Clay, the Kentucky statesman. The boundaries were
defined by an act of the legislature approved March 7, 1855, and
again established and the boundaries defined by an act approved
January 26, 1856, and redefined February 16, 1867.
- Clay Center. This town was surveyed in the summer of
1879. It was located in the center of the county by R. G. Brown
and was named by him on account of its central location. It is the
county seat of Clay county.
- Deweese. Deweese was named for a James W. Deweese,
attorney for the Burlington railroad. Mr. Deweese was a resident
of Lincoln where he died some years ago. He was a member of the
law firm of Marquette, Deweese, and Hall. Deweese post office has
the distinction of being the only one by that name in the United
States, although there is a settlement called Deweese in
- Edgar. The town of Edgar was named for the son of a
pioneer named Ed Graham, who settled in the vicinity. A previous
name of the town was Eden.
- Eldorado. The name is Spanish and means the gilded or
golden. The soil in and around this town-site has a yellowish cast
and because of this the town was so named.
- Fairfield. This town was originally named White Elm.
Later the name was changed to Frankfurt. When it was discovered
that there already existed a town called Frankfurt in the state,
the name was again changed to Fairfield. The name Fairfield was
given the town by the railroad company in conformity with its
alphabetical system of designating the sites along the road,
probably after Fairfield in Illinois or in Iowa. The name refers
to the beauty of the surrounding fields. The precinct has the same
- Glenvil. Glenvil was originally named Georgetown or
Dogtown. The latter was a nickname given the town because it had
more dogs than citizens. When the name was first changed, the
spelling of the new name was Glenville. There were, however, at
least ten Glenvilles in the United States, and as a result so much
mail was missent that Glenville, Nebraska, changed the spelling of
its name to Glenvil. This change affects only the name of the post
office, for the incorporated town is Glenville. The name Glenville
was given the town by the railroad company in conformity with its
alphabetical system of naming.
- Harvard. Named by the officials of the Chicago,
Burlington, and Quincy Railroad Company (in conformity with its
alphabetical system), after Harvard University in Cambridge,
- Inland. This name was transferred from an old town in
Adams county. The present town dates back to about 1878. It was
named by the railroad company in conformity with its alphabetical
system and is supposed to have reference to its locality (inland,
not on the coast).
- Ong. This town was platted on August 22, 1886. It was
named in honor of Judge J. E. Ong who owned the land on which the
town is located. The original name was Greenberry, after
Greenberry L. Fort, a large land owner in the vicinity.
- Saronville. Reverend Haterius, a Swedish Lutheran
minister named the local church Saron, after a small village in
Sweden. When the post office was established it was named
Saronville, after the local church.
- Springranch. A post office was established at Spring
Ranche in 1870. The first settlement in the vicinity was made on
June 8, 1864. The town was so named because of the presence of
numerous springs of water in the locality. The precinct has the
same name. The United States postal guide prints the name as one
word. On the railroad maps it appears as two words.
- Sutton. This locality was entered as a homestead on
March 14, 1870. The town-site was named after Sutton,
- Trumbull. The village of Trumbull was named in honor of
a railway official.
- Verona. Originally called Sweden. The name was changed
to Verona in 1884 in honor of a family by the name of Veronica
that lived in the vicinity at that time. The Veronica family
played an important part in the development of the town. The above
is the local account of the origin of the name and seems
authentic. There are about twenty towns in the United States with
the name of Verona, most if not all of which were named for
Colfax county was
originally a part of Platte county. By an act of the legislature
approved February 15, 1869, this county was divided and Colfax county
was named for Schuyler Colfax who was then vice-president of the
United States. The boundaries were redefined March 3, 1873.
- Clarkson. Clarkson was platted by the Western Town Lot
Company in October, 1886. It was named in honor of Mr. T. S.
Clarkson, the first postmaster of Schuyler, Nebraska, because he
helped to establish a post office in the new town. Mr. Clarkson
was later postmaster of Omaha.
- Howell. This town is called Howells by the railroad
company and Howell by the post office department. It was platted
in August, 1886, by the Western Town-Site Company and named in
honor of J. S. Howell, a prominent citizen of Colfax county.
- Leigh. The land on which Leigh was platted was owned by
Mr. A. M. Walling. The town was named for Mrs. Walling whose
maiden name was Leigh. It was platted in October, 1884.
- Praha. A Bohemian community in Midland precinct, named
after Prague, Bohemia.
- Richland. The village of Richland was platted under the
name of Spitley in September, 1884.
- Rogers. This town was platted in October, 1886.. It was
named after an official of the Union Pacific railroad. The
town-site was owned by Jacob McCall, candidate for governor of
Nebraska in 1896, and a Mr. Leflang of Plum Creek, near Lexington,
- Schuyler. The county seat of Colfax county was located
at Schuyler in 1869 the same year that the county was separated
from Platte county. Like the county, the town was named for
Schuyler Colfax (1823-1885) who was then vice-president of the
The boundaries of
Cuming county were defined by an act of the Territorial Legislative
Assembly passed in 1855 and approved on March 16, 1855. The
boundaries were redefined by an act approved February 12, 1857, and
January 10, 1862. The county was named in honor of Thomas B. Cuming,
acting governor of the Territory of Nebraska in 1854-1855 and
1857-1858. A precinct, a creek, and formerly a village in the county
have the same name for the same reason.
- Aloys. An inland village near the southeast corner of
- Bancroft. This town was named in honor of George
Bancroft, the American historian.
- Beemer. Originally called Rockcreek. Later the
town-site was changed and the name changed to Beemer in honor of
A. D. Beemer the founder of the new town.
- Bismarck. An inland village in the northwestern part of
Elkhorn precinct, named for the German statesman, Prince Karl Otto
Eduard Leopold von Bismarck-Schönhausen (18t5-1898). A
neighboring precinct has the same name for the same reason.
- Cuming. An inland village in Neligh precinct, named for
Thomas B. Cuming, after whom the county was named.
- Germanville. An inland village in the southern part of
Cuming precinct, so named in compliment to the German
- Monterey. An inland village in Monterey precinct, named
directly or indirectly for the battle of Monterey, Mexico.
- West Point. This town, the county seat of Cuming
county, was so named because when located it was the most westerly
point that was settled in the Elkhorn River valley. It was
incorporated by an act of the legislature approved October 29,
1858. Its founder was John D. Neligh (1831-1896) who settled on
the present site of West Point in 1858.
- Wisner. The settlement of Wisner dates back to 1865.
The town was named in honor of Samuel P. Wisner, vice-president of
the railroad company at that time.
Custer county was
named in honor of General George A. Custer, the gallant Indian
fighter who was killed at the battle on the Little Big Horn river in
the summer of 1876. The organization of the county was approved on
February 17, 1877, and its boundaries were defined at this time. A
precinct in the county has the same name for the same reason.
- Anselmo. This town was named for Anselmo B. Smith, a
civil engineer who platted the towns along the Burlington railroad
for the Lincoln Town-Site Company. Anselmo was platted on November
- Ansley. The first settlement was made here in the
summer of 1886. The town was named in honor of a lady who invested
a large sum of money in real estate in the newly platted town.
- Arnold. This town was named in honor of George Arnold
who located in the vicinity in 1875. Mr. Arnold was a member of
the ranch firm of Arnold and Ritchie. The town was laid out in
1883. The precinct is also named Arnold.
- Berwyn. The Lincoln Town-Site Company laid out the town
of Berwyn in 1886. It is believed to have been named after a
railroad surveyor. A previous name was Janesville.
- Broken Bow. Broken Bow was located and platted in June,
1882. The name was suggested to the post office department by
Wilson Hewitt who found on an old Indian camping ground in the
vicinity a broken bow and arrow. Mr. Hewitt had suggested three
different names for the town-site to the post office department,
all of which were rejected. After the third name had been
rejected, he came upon the broken bow and immediately decided upon
the name, feeling sure that there was no other town by that name
in the state. It is not known who was the owner of the broken bow,
or any other facts concerning it. The bow was partially destroyed,
but a fragment still remains. It is owned by E. R. Purcell, editor
of the Custer County Chief. Broken Bow is the county seat of
- Callaway. The town of Callaway was surveyed and platted
in the spring of 1885. It was named in honor of S. R. Callaway, at
that time general manager of the Union Pacific railroad.
- Climax. This town was named Climax by Mrs. Mary T.
Ewing who owned the farm on which the post office is located, and
who had charge of the office when it was established.
- Comstock. W. H. Comstock moved a store building from
Wescott and located on this town-site so it was named in his
honor. The site was surveyed in 1899.
- Cumro. The town of Cumro was named by William Edmunds
after Cumro, Wales.
- Dale. The post office at Dale was named for its first
postmaster a Mr. Daley. The settlers here wished to name the
office Daley, but Mr. Daley objected so they called it Dale. This
office has been discontinued.
- Elton. Named after Elton, New York. The postoffice has
been discontinued for several years.
- Etna. A former inland post office near the southwestern
corner of Custer county, in Wayne precinct. The name is probably
of local selection.
- Gates. An inland post office in Lillian precinct. It
was named for a local resident.
- Huxley. Huxley post office was named by J. M. Lowry
(deceased), the first postmaster at this office. Mr. Lowry named
it for Thomas H. Huxley, the scientist, whose works he admired and
- Lillian. Hugh Gohean was the first postmaster in this
town. The office was named in honor of his second daughter,
Lillian Gohean. The precinct is also named Lillian.
- Lodi. This place was named after Lodi, a city in
- Lomax. A station on the Union Pacific railroad in Wood
River precinct, apparently named for E. L. Lomax, assistant
general passenger and transfer agent, Omaha, Nebraska.
- Mason City. There are two theories concerning the
naming of Mason City. One is that the early settlers in the
vicinity named it for Mason county, Virginia, from which they had
come to Nebraska. The second theory is that the Lincoln Town-Site
Company named the town Mason in honor of Judge O. P. Mason of
Lincoln. The latter theory is generally accepted. The post office,
however, refused to accept the name Mason, because of probable
confusion with Macon; so the town is Mason City to the post office
department and Mason to the railroad.
- Merna. Samuel Dunning was the first postmaster here and
the town was named for his daughter Merna.
- Milburn. James Milburn established the Milburn post
office on December 1, 1887, and it was named in his honor.
- Milldale. A station on a branch line of the Union
Pacific railroad, in Triumph precinct. It apparently was named for
a mill site along a near-by creek, the South Loup river.
- Oconto. This town was located in the fall of 1887. It
was to be called Olax but the name was changed because of its
similarity to Lomax, Nebraska. It received the name Oconto from a
man by that name, according to local tradition; but doubtless the
name is for Oconto, Oconto county, Wisconsin. Oconto is a
Menominee Indian word meaning the "place of the pickerel."
- Ortello. Ortello was named for Grove Ortello Joyner.
The town was first called Ortello Grove and later shortened to
- Sargent. The town of Sargent was laid out in 1883. The
founders were E. P. Savage and Joseph W. Thomas. A few years
previously a post office was located over a mile east of the
town-site with Mrs. George Sherman postmaster. She chose the name,
Sargent which was the name of some friends who lived in her old
home town, Streeter, Illinois. When the town was founded Mrs.
Sherman agreed to surrender the post office and permit its removal
to the new town on condition that the name remain Sargent. This
was agreed to by the founders, as Mr. E. P. Savage had wished to
name the town after his uncle, George D. Sargent, a banker of
Davenport, Iowa, later a resident of New York City, and an
official of the Great Northern railway.
- Walworth. This town was named in honor of a Mr.
Walworth who operated a line of lumber yards in Nebraska at the
time Walworth was established.
- Weissert. The name Weissert was suggested for this post
office by the department at Washington. The office was established
- Westerville. The location here was originally known as
Elm Bridge. The town of Westerville was named in honor of its
first resident, James Westervelt, who established a store in the
vicinity in the fall of 1880. The precinct has the same name.
- Yucahill. A locality and a former post office in the
northwestern part of Custer county in Hayes precinct. It was so
named because of the prevalence of a liliaceous plant known as
bear-grass or Spanish bayonet (Yucca glauca) in the
Dakota county was
named for the Dakota tribe of Indians. The word Dakota means
allies or brothers, according to the usual
interpretation, but it is really an ancient word having the idea of
sodality or society of friends in the mystical sense of a peculiar
people. The white man's name for this tribe was Sioux. The boundaries
of the county were defined by an act of the legislature approved
March 7, 1855, redefined January 26, 1856.
- Covington. Covington, originally Harney City, next
Newport, then finally Covington, was first taken as a town-site in
1856. It was named for the Covington, Columbus, and Black Hills
railroad. The town was consolidated with South Sioux City on May
- Dakota City. The Dakota City Land Company surveyed and
platted this town in 1855-56. The town was named for the Dakota
tribe of Indians. It was incorporated by an act of the legislature
approved October 21, 1858. It is the county seat of Dakota
- Goodwin. This town was named in honor of John C.
Goodwin who was one of the railroad officials in 1892 when the
town was established.
- Homer. The town of Homer was surveyed and platted in
1874. It was named for the poet of ancient Greece.
- Hubbard. The Dakota City Land Company laid out this
town in 1880. Judge Asahel W. Hubbard was the first president of
the Covington, Columbus, and Black Hills railroad and the town was
named for him.
- Jackson. The town was originally called Franklin but
the name was changed because there was already another post office
in the state with that name.
- Nacora. The name of this town was formed from the
Spanish nacio which means "I am born."
- Sioux. The original town-site, called South Sioux City,
was washed away by the Missouri river. The present town was
incorporated on January 4, 1885, and was named for the Sioux tribe
of Indians who had a reservation in the vicinity.
- Vista. This town was originally named Brady in honor of
a pioneer family in the vicinity. Later the name Vista was chosen
because of the picturesque views surrounding the town.
Dawes county was
named in honor of James W. Dawes, former governor of Nebraska,
1883-1887. Its boundaries were defined by an act of the legislature
approved February 19, 1885.
- Antelope. Formerly a post office situated in Antelope
township. The office and township were named for the antelope of
- Belmont. This town was named after an official of the
Burlington railway system. C. L. Phelps, nbw of Bellevue,
Nebraska, was the first postmaster.
- Bordeaux. The town of Bordeaux was named for Bordeaux
creek on which it is located. The creek was named in honor of
Pierre Bordeaux, a French trapper and trader on this stream, who
came from Bordeaux, France, and took his name from that city.
- Chadron. This town was platted in 1885 by the pioneer
Town-Site Company and named in honor of Pierre Chadron, a
French-Indian "squaw-man," who lived and trapped on a river in the
vicinity. He was at one time a trader for the American Fur Company
of St. Louis, Missouri, and was stationed at "Winter Quarters" on
the mouth of the Cheyenne river near Fort Pierre. Chadron is the
county seat of Dawes county.
- Crawford. The town of Crawford was named for Captain
Jack Crawford (John Wallace Crawford, 1847-1917), "the poet
scout," who was stationed at Fort Robinson during the eighties.
Captain Crawford was a soldier, scout, poet, lecturer, as well as
a noted Indian fighter.
- Dakota Junction. So named because the branch line of
the Chicago and Northwestern railroad to the Black Hills joins the
main line to Wyoming.
- Dunlap. The first postmaster of Dunlap was a Mr.
Roberts, a soldier of the Civil War, and he named the place after
an officer under whom he served, probably Brigadier-General James
- Esther. A former, inland post office in Antelope
precinct, probably named for a local resident.
- Fort Robinson. This town was laid out by Colonel W. H.
Carter and named after Fort Robinson military post which was
located in the vicinity. This post was named by the United States
War Department in memory of Lieutenant Robinson who was killed by
Indians just before the post was established.
- Hough. There is no particular reason for calling this
post office Hough except that it was necessary to change the name
of the former office "Huff" because there was already an office by
that name in the state. The spelling H-o-u-g-h was suggested and
accepted by the United States post office department.
- Ida. A former, inland post office near the line of
Antelope and Table precincts, named probably for a local
- Manchester. An inland place in the northeast central
part of Dawes county, named by the settlers for an eastern town.
Many towns in the United States have this name, most of which
derive it directly or indirectly from Manchester, England.
- Marsland. This town was named after Thomas Marsland, of
Lincoln, Nebraska, who was at the time general freight agent of
the Chicago, Burlington, and Quincy railroad.
- Pine Ridge. There is a ridge of pine timber running
across this part of the state, that is called Pine Ridge. The Pine
Ridge post office was named after this ridge.
- Wayside. The name of this town has no historic
significance but is purely fanciful. The name was suggested by the
railroad workmen as descriptive of the place in an early day when
it consisted of a section house by the side of the railway and was
an occasional stopping place for the trains.
- Whitney. This town was originally named Dawes City.
Later it was named Earth Lodge, and finally Whitney. The latter
name was given the town in honor of Peter Whitney who was the
Pioneer Town-Site agent for the railroad at the time.
© 2001 for the NEGenWeb Project by Connie Snyder