On Line Library
and was formerly a member of the first Library Commission of Geneva. During the World War he served as a member of the advisory board and a member of the examining board. He is a charter and life member of the Civil Legion, is affiliated with the Congregational Church of Geneva, is past patron of the Chapter 180 of the Eastern Star.
A Mason, Dr. Bixby is Past Master of Geneva Lodge Number 79, and is a member of the Lincoln Consistory and Sesostris Temple. His hobby is reading. His political preference is the Republican Party.
His marriage to Josephine Pangle was solemnized at York, Nebraska, September 14, 1917. Mrs. Bixby, who was born at Geneva, September 22, 1891, and died there July 3, 1925, was the daughter of Vance Bush Pangle, who was a pioneer settler in Fillmore County and a Civil War veteran. Members of the Pangle family were prominent in America as early as 1774 and were pioneer settlers of Virginia and Ohio. They have two children: Joseph, Jr., born August 25, 1918, who is a student in Pembroke School, Kansas City; and John Richard, who was born June 10, 1924, a student in the Geneva Public School. Residence: Geneva. (Photograph on Page 127).
Horace Owen Bixler
Horace Owen Bixler was born at Hayes Center, Nebraska, October 20, 1887, the son of Lewis Albert and Ulrika (Peterson) Bixler. His father, whose ancestry was Pennsylvania Dutch, was born at Markelville, Pennsylvania, February 12, 1854, and died at Palisade, Nebraska, February 8, 1921. His mother was born in Sweden, February 9, 1864.
Mr. Bixler received the A. B. degree at Nebraska Wesleyan University in 1922, and was awarded the A. M. degree at the University of Nebraska in 1927. He was a student at the University of Colorado summer school, 1924, and Claremont College summer school, 1930. He taught in rural schools for two years, was a grade school teacher for three years, served as county superintendent of Hayes County for four years. For the past 13 years he has been superintendent of Nebraska schools, and is at present superintendent of the Perkins County High School at Grant, Nebraska.
He holds membership in the Nebraska State Teachers' Association, the National Education Association, the Nebraska Schoolmasters Club, Phi Delta Kappa Fraternity, and the Grant Commercial Club. He is a Mason and a member of the Nebraskana Society. His hobby is music, while his favorite sport is golfing.
On November 18, 1914, he was united in marriage with Lucy Inez Brown at Grafton, Nebraska. Mrs. Bixler, whose ancestry is English, was born at Stuart, Nebraska. They have one child: Dean Allison, born October 24, 1919. Residence: Grant.
Charles M. Black
Charles M. Black, retired farmer and banker, and one of the most outstanding citizens of North Bend, was born at Lexington, Rock Bridge County, Virginia, November 11, 1856. He is the son of James and Cassie (Moore) Black, who were both natives of Virginia. James Black was born in Franklin County, June 8, 1810, and died at North Bend, on February 19, 1896. He was a farmer of German ancestry. His wife, Cassie Moore, was born in Buchanan, Virginia, October 10, 1815, and died at North Bend, August 9, 1895. Her ancestry was English.
Upon finishing country school, Mr. Black started farming, and continued over a period of years, gradually increasing his holdings until now he is an extensive landowner. He has also been active as a banker, and at the present time is vice-president and a director of the First National Bank of North Bend. In politics he is a member of the Democratic party, and has served as supervisor of Dodge County. Mr. Black is a member of the Methodist Church, the Red Cross, and The Nebraskana
He was married to Mary Ann Scott at North Bend, on April 29, 1880. Mrs. Black was born in Philadelphia August 14, 1860, of Irish ancestry. There are three children, Myrtle Mae, born February 16, 1882, who married Oscar David Funk; Theola Isabella, born February Ii 1887, who married Robert A. McWhorter, and David Wilson, born May 28, 1900, who married Sadie Mae Scott. Residence: North Bend.
Leonard Harry Black
Leonard Harry Black, owner and manager of a general store at Verdel, Nebraska, has lived in this state his entire life. He was born at Verdel, September 20 1896, the son of William and Susanna Black, the former an early settler in Knox County, Nebraska. His father was born near Council Bluffs, Iowa, July 4, 1854, and died at Verdel, Nebraska, May 21, 1929. His mother was born at Griswold, Nebraska, September 17, 1867.
Mr. Black attended the Verdel High School and studied business at York College for a year. He was employed by the Farmers Co-operative Association for four years, and since 1919 has owned his own mercantile establishment. He is a member of the Verdel Presbyterian Church, the Red Cross, and the Nebraskana Society.
During the World War he served for six months with the American Expeditionary Forces in France, has been post commander of the American Legion for two years, and is now finance officer of that organization. His chief recreations are hunting and fishing. He is an Odd Fellow.
On September 11, 1919, he was married at Bloomfield, Nebraska, to Laura Dever, who was born in that community, June 15, 1897. They have one child: Melba, born September 1, 1920. Residence: Verdel.
Oswald Ragan Black
Oswald R. Black, known throughout Nebraska as "Oz" Black, popular newspaper cartoonist and art director, has lived in this state for the past 25 years. He was born at Neoga, Illinois, October 29, 1898, the son of Eben Ringo and Julia Cynthia (Ragan) Black. His father, whose ancestry is English and Dutch, was born near Dallas, Texas, May 22, 1860. His mother, a music teacher and an active church worker, was born of Scotch-Irish parents at New Winchester, Indiana, April 29, 1867.
Mr. Black attended the public schools of Cheyenne, Wyoming, and was graduated from the high school at Lincoln, Lancaster County, Nebraska, in 1917. He was a student at the University of Nebraska from 1918 to 1923, where he was sports editor of the Daily Nebraskan, and was art editor of Awgwan. He was a member of Sigma Delta Chi, journalistic fraternity.
He served as newspaper reporter and cartoonist of the Lincoln Star where he conducted the widely known feature, Here in Lincoln, 1919-1927; and was commercial artist in Lincoln from 1928 to 1930. Since 1930 he has been cartoonist and art director on the Nebraska State Journal, drawing a full page Sunday cartoon feature under the title, Here In Lincoln.
His marriage to Alona Carpenter was solemnized at Chicago, March 17, 1923. Mrs. Black, who was born at Knoxville, Iowa, November 14, 1899, is a primary teacher and a writer for children's magazines. They have two children: Virginia Hains, born June 24, 1924; and Judith Louise, born April 11, 1930.
During the World War Mr. Black was a private in the Student's Army Training Corps at the University pf Nebraska. He is a member of the American Legion; the Lincoln Chamber of Commerce; and the Lions Club. He is a director of the People's City Mission at Lincoln; was a director of the Lincoln Advertising Club, 1927; and is a member of the Nebraskana Society and an elder of
Westminster Church. Since 1929, he has been sponsor of the Lincoln Hi Y Club, and is a member of the Boy's Work committee of the Young Men's Christian Association. Politically, Mr. Black is an independent. Residence: Lincoln.
William Conant Black
William Conant Black, milling executive at Beatrice, Gage County, Nebraska, has been a resident of the state for over 30 years and is prominent in civic organizations in his community. He was born at Sycamore, Dekalb county, Illinois, June 3, 1878, the son of William and Mary (Conant) Black. His father, who was a miller, was born in Ireland and died at Beatrice, February 4, 1919. His mother was born in New York and died at Beatrice, January 19, 1920.
Mr. Black received his education in the public school of Youngston, Ohio. He is president of the Black Brothers Flour Mills at Beatrice, is vice president of the First National Bank of Beatrice, and is active in the Beatrice Chamber of Commerce and the Rotary Club. He holds membership in The Nebraskana Society, the Elks, Young Men's Christian Association, and the Presbyterian Church at Beatrice.
He was united in marriage at Beatrice, August 12, 1901 with Ivy Bell Howey, who was born at Kenanee, Illinois. Their children are: Frances, born March 25, 1903; William, born April 28, 1906; and Beatrice, born February 4, 1909. Residence: Beatrice.
Earl Howell Blackburn
Earl H. Blackbunr was born at Fairbury, Nebraska, January 28, 1888. He is the son of Nathan Carson and Hannah (Furry) Blackburn. His father was born at Pleasantville, Bedford County, Pennsylvania, February 13, 1861, and is engaged in the flour milling business with his son under the name of the Blackburn Milling Co. He is of English and German descent. Hannah Blackburn, his wife, who is of Holland Dutch descent was born at New Enterprise, Bedford County, Pennsylvania, December 10, 1865.
At two years, in 1853, N. C. Blackburn was orphaned through the death of his father in Andersonville prison, the story of which makes one of the saddest pages in the history of the Civil War. He was the youngest of six children in the family. At the close of the Civil War, in appreciation of the services of the men who had given their lives to the cause of the country, the Pennsylvania state legislature created the Soldiers' Orphan School at Harrisburg to educate and to care for the orphans between 10 and 16 years of age who survived the conflict. Here the head of the Blackburn firm of today was nurtured, with one visit a year to the home of his mother. At 16 he was sent back to his home. After about a year he succeeded in obtaining employment at the Pleasantville Mills at wages fixed at $4 a month and with no specified number of hours of labor.
Nebraska has counted Mr. Blackburn among her millers since 1883. In that year he and Mr. Furry decided to move to Nebraska in the hope of finding larger opportunities. As a new mill was then under construction in Endicott, Mr. Blackburn went there for employment. The job he obtained paid $40 a month. When he came to the state, Nebraska produced only spring wheat, but experiments had just started with turkey red winter wheat. Mr. Blackburn was therefore a witness to the transition of Nebraska into the ranks of hard winter wheat growers.
Earl H. Blackburn attended the Fairbury High School two years, and removed with his parents to St. Edward, Nebraska where he was graduated in 1904. During 1906-1907 he attended the University of Nebraska. His fraternity is Beta Beta Pi.
Since leaving the University he has been engaged in and milling business, first as a partner in the Blackburn and Furry Mills at St. Edward, Nebraska, and later as president of the Nebraska Consolidated Mills Company of Grand Island. He is now in business with his father and his brother, Glenn, as partner and manager of the Blackburn Milling Company of Omaha.
On May 15, 1910, he was united in marriage with Bertha Jean Brown at Alva, Oklahoma. Mrs. Blackburn was born at Robinson, Illinois, October 19, 1886. There are two children, Nadine, born February 24, 1912, married Walter Cassel and John, born February 24, 1915.
Mr. Blackburn is a Republican. He has always been active in civic and fraternal work and is a member of the Chamber of Commerce of Omaha and of the Omaha High School Parent Teachers Association. While a\ Grand Island he was a member of the Rotary Club during 1921-22. He is a Protestant and a member of the Masonic Order. Residence; Omaha.
Hobert Lee Blackledge
Hobert Lee Blackledge, lawyer at Kearney, Nebraska, for the past few years, was born at Red Cloud, Nebraska, August 18, 1900, the son of Lewis H. and Margaret Edith (Lawrence) Blackledge. His father, who was born in Monroe County, Ohio, January 10, 1868, is a distinguished lawyer, and since 1920, has been judge of the 10th Judicial District of Nebraska. The family genealogy which dates to 1682, when the first member came to America from England, is traced through the following members of the Blackledge family: David, Samuel, William, Robert, Thomas, and William.
His mother was born in La Salle County, Illinois, March 26, 1872, and died at Red Cloud, September 17, 1920. Hobert Lee Blackledge was graduated from the Red Cloud High School in 1918, and in 1925 received the Bachelor of Laws degree at the University of Nebraska where he was a member of Phi Delta Phi, Gamma Lambda, and Kappa Sigma of which he served as president. He practiced law at Grand Island, Nebraska, 1925-29, and was city attorney part of that time; he is now junior member of the law firm Miller & Blackledge.
Mr. Blackledge is a member of the American Bar Association, the Nebraska State Bar Association, Kearney Chamber of Commerce, the New England Historic Genealogical Society, Bucks County Historical Society (of Pennsylvania), and the Nebraskana Society. He is a member of the Kearney Country Club, the American Legion, the Elks, and Scottish Rite Body of the Masons. Politically, he is a Democrat.
On October 1, 1930, his marriage to Helen Negley occurred at Council Bluffs, Iowa. Mrs. Blackledge, who was born at Coyle, Oklahoma, December 2, 1903, is a direct descendant of Roger Williams through Obadiah Edmunds, a Revolutionary soldier, and of Daniel Perrine, The Huguenot. Residence: Kearney.
Samuel Clarence Blackman
One of Nebraska's leading newspaper editors, Samuel Clarence Blackman was born at Naperville, Illinois, September 26, 1867, the son of Francis Wilson and Clarissa (Warne) Blackman. His father, a farmer and lumberman, was born of German and English parents at Rochester, New York, February 22, 1823, and died at West Side, Iowa, February 6, 1902; his ancestors settled in America in colonial times. Clarissa (Warne) Blackman, his mother, was born near Aurora, Illinois, August 28, 1830, and died at West Side, April 2, 1891. Her great-grandfather was one of the 20 proprietors of West Jersey.
Mr. Blackman attended
school at West Side, was graduated from the high school at Geneva, Illinois,
in 1888, and later was a student at Wheaton College. He taught in a rural school
for three years, was employed in a newspaper office at West Side for a time,
and served as postmaster there until 1905. He was editor and publisher of the
Madison Chronicle, Madison, Nebraska, 1905-1909, and in 1917 bought the Citizen at Tilden, of which he is still editor. He has served as president and secretary
of school boards in all the above communities.
He served for several years as secretary of the Madison County Agricultural Society, was one of the promoters of the public library at Madison, and today holds membership in the following civic and fraternal organizations: Tilden Chamber of Commerce; Red Cross; Lions Club; Modern Woodmen of America; and Royal Highlanders. He is a member of the Tilden Country Club, is affiliated with the First Methodist Church of Tilden, and holds membership in the Nebraskana Society.
A Republican, Mr. Blackman has served as a member of the county and state central committees; was register of deeds of Madison County, 1909-12, and was elected state representative from District 50, in 1930.
He was married to Grace Lockwood, daughter of A. C. Lockwood, a Civil War veteran, at Newton, Iowa, November 10, 1892. Mrs. Blackman, whose ancestry was English, was born at Monroe, Iowa, August 22, 1873, and died at Madison, November 30, 1912. She was active in church affairs and held membership in the Woman's Club. To this marriage four children were born: Lloyd C., February 9, 1894, who married Alice Hoagland; Lucille C., January 8, 1898, who married Louis A. Olson; Leslie F., October 27, 1900, who married Cleonice Smith; and Francis E., August 22, 1907, who married Vivene Cunningham.
Lloyd C. is at the head of the dental department of Pelton Clinic at Elgin, Illinois. Leslie F. is connected with the registry department of the Omaha Postoffice. Francis E. is a publisher, and is associated with his father in business, and Lucille is engaged in secretarial work at Lincoln, Nebraska. On June 19, 1919, Mr. Blackman was united in marriage to Edith Cunningham at Council Bluffs, Iowa. She is the daughter of William S. and Mary (Mossbarger) Cunningham, pioneers who homesteaded north of Tilden, in 1879. Mr. Cunningham served in the Civil War. Residence: Tilden. (Photograph in Album).
Samuel Holmes Stout Blackwell
Samuel Blackwell, prominent banker and executive of Omaha, Douglas County, Nebraska, has lived in this state since 1886. He was born at Hopewell, Mercer County, New Jersey, April 12, 1867, the son of Nelson Daniel and Anna (Stout) Blackwell. His father, who was born at Hopewell, March 11, 1834, and died at Lawrenceville, New Jersey, December, 1921, was a merchant; he occupied the same store building used by his father and grandfather. He was a director and officer of several banks and for many years was active in the business and civic life of his community. He was descended from Robert and Mary (Manning) Blackwell; the latter was a daughter of Captain John Manning who settled in New York, in 1676. He was also descended from Captain Ralph Hunt of Long Island, and through the maternal line was descended from: Captain Content Titus, born in 1643, who was the son of John and Mary (Reed) Moore; Rev. John Prudden, born 1645, died 1725; and Judge William Green. He was a direct descendant of Captain Stephen Blackwell and Colonel John VanCleve, who were officers in the Revolution.
Anna (Stout) Blackwell, mother of Samuel Blackwell, was born at Stoutsburg, Somerset County, New Jersey, June 30, 1840, and died at Hopewell, December 4, 1906. She was a graduate of Pennington Seminary and was active in literary club work. She was a direct descendant of Richard and Penelope Van Princes Stout who are credited with being the first settlers of New Jersey. Among her noted ancestors are: Rev. Obadiah Holmes, born 1606, died 1682; Colonel Joseph Stout; and Jonathan Stout. She is a direct descendant of the Revolutionary War soldiers: Samuel Stout; Abraham Cruser; Rudolph Hagaman; and Benjamin Van Kirk.
Mr. Blackwell first attended school at the Hopewell Seminary and later the New Jersey State Model School, where he ranked second in a class of fifty scholars. He was graduated from Stewart's College and later took a special course of law. He started his business career in the Union State Bank of Harvard, Nebraska, about 1887, and resigned his position there in 1893 to become cashier of the First National Bank at Princeton, New Jersey, which was near his boyhood home. About ten years later he purchased the controlling interest of a bank at Friend, Nebraska, and moved there to take over the management thereof. After about five years he sold his interest in this bank and moved to Afton, Iowa, to become president of the Savings Bank of Afton, which he had recently purchased, and where he remained as president and manager until the organization of the Federal Land Bank of Omaha, in 1917, when he sold his interests at Afton, to take the position of assistant registrar of the Federal Land Bank of Omaha, and shortly thereafter was appointed registrar, which position he holds at the present time.
Mr. Blackwell is also registrar of several other banks of the Eighth Federal Land Bank District. He has always taken an active interest in civic affairs and community clubwork wherever he resided and is a member of the Omaha Red Cross, Community Chest, Chamber of commerce, Advertising-Selling League and the Omaha Athletic Club.
He is a member of the Sons of the American Revolution. During the war, he was active in loan drives and Red Cross affairs. He is a member of the Military Affairs Committee of the Omaha Chamber of Commerce, a member of the Presbyterian Church and the Young Men's Christian Association; he is an Odd Fellow, a thirty-second degree Mason, and a member of the Shrine. In politics, he is a Republican; his favorite sports are football and golf, and his hobby, flowers.
His marriage to Bessie Walker Bartine was solemnized at Princeton, New Jersey, June 29, 1899. Mrs. Blackwell was born at Princeton, September 2, 1868. Her French Huguenot ancestors came to America in 1681; she is a direct descendant of Sir Francis Drake and of Edward Hunt, who settled on Long Island many years prior to the Revolution. Three children were born to them: Sarah, who died at the age of three years; Mary was graduated from Central High School at Omaha, and from Choate's School in Boston, had two years at Wheaton College, was graduated from the University of Wisconsin in 1930, and is now doing personnel work for the Northwestern Bell Telephone Company in Omaha; Elizabeth, who also was graduated from Central High School and Choate School at Boston, afterward entered the University of Wisconsin. Both are members of Kappa Alpha Theta. Residence: Omaha.
Edward Samuel Blair
Edward S. Blair, who has been engaged in the practice of medicine in Nebraska for the past 37 years, was born at Forreston, Illinois, June 17, 1857. His father Matthew Blair, who was born at Parish of Raloo, County Antrim, Ireland, May 14, 1823, and died at Forreston, May 21, 1891, was a carriage maker; he served as captain in the Civil War; his ancestry was traced to Brice Blair, born in Scotland, in 1600, who moved to Ireland, in 1625. His mother, Sarah Ann Blair, was born in Crawford County, Pennsylvania, December 23, 1827, and died at Naperville, Illinois, September 5, 1913; she is also descended from Brice Blair.
Dr. Blair attended the high school at Belvedere, Illinois, and the preparatory department of Allegheny College, at Meadville, Pennsylvania, 1878 to 1880, 1880 to 1884; received the A. B. degree at Allegheny College in 1884, and in 1887 was awarded the M. D. degree at the University of Michigan, at Ann Arbor. He was elected to membership in Phi Delta Theta, and is now a member of the Golden Legion chapter of this society, by reason of his 50 years membership.
A lecturer on hygiene
in the Sioux City College of Medicine, 1894, he was state medical examiner
for the insurance department of the Modern Woodmen of America
for four years with the office of headquarters physician, and for 30 years was secretary of the United States Pension Board and examining surgeon. He is now engaged in general practice. He is the author of an article on influenza, published in the proceedings of the Nebraska State Medical Society, in 1902.
During the World War he was a member of the Medical Advisory Board for Wayne County. He is a member of the Nebraska State Medical Society, and the district medical society composed of Cedar, Dixon, Dakota, Thurston, and Wayne counties. In 1905 he was a member of the school board and library board at Wayne, and from 1909 to 192.9, was secretary of the official board of the Methodist Episcopal Church at Wayne. He is a member of the Nebraska Society, is affiliated with Chapter 120 of the Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, and is a Republican.
On August 14, 1889,
he was united in marriage with Ida Rosetta Williams, at Amboy, Lee County,
Illinois. Mrs. Blair, who is city librarian at Wayne, was born June 8, 1867.
Four children were born to their marriage: Helen, born June 24, 1890, who married
Dr. George F. Hodgson; Harold M., born November 29, 1891, who married Anna
Harms; Robert P., born December 16, 1895, who died July t 1902; and Alice D.,
born August 20, 1901, who married Dr. William M. Hawkins, a veterinarian, who
was graduated from the Iowa State College, 1921, where his wife was a student.
William Joseph Blake
Born at Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, April 10, 1859, William Joseph Blake has resided in Nebraska for the past forty-four years, where he has engaged extensively in farming.
His father, Joseph Andrew Blake, was born in Miltonberg, Bavaria, Germany, in 1813, came to America in 1845, where he served as an interpreter. His death occurred at Wheaton, Illinois, in 1870.
His mother, born at Miltonberg, in 1821, died at Naperville, Illinois, in 1908.
William Joseph Blake attended public school. On October 18, 1884, he was married to Mary Lena Bortsch at Somanck, Illinois. She was born at Elbing, West Prussia, Germany, November 7, 1860. To them were born seven children, four of whom are living.
Mary, born August 27, 1888, married Oscar Knutson; Fred, born December 22, 1890; Eleanor, born November 15, 1893, who married Arthur John Iverson; Walter, born April 23, 1899, who married Lucy Ellen Peterson; Henry, born December 19, 1885, died in 1890; William, born September 30, 1887, died in 1890; and George, born May 19, 1897, died in 1898.
Mr. Blake served five years with the Illinois State Militia before coming to Nebraska. He is a Catholic and a member of the Nebraskana Society. Residence: Brewster.
Anton Charles Blatny
Anton C. Blatny was born at Linwood, Nebraska, July 11, 1900, son of Anton Peter and Marie Otilla (Homolka) Blatny. His education was received in elementary schools, and a semester in high school at Linwood.
Anton, father of Anton Jr., was born at Linwood, May 19, 1877, and died at Linwood. November 16, 1927. His life occupation was farming. He is of Bohemian descent. Marie, his wife, was born in Linwood, May 21, 1879, and died there, February 10. 1914.
Mr. Blatny has lived in Nebraska his entire life, his occupation is farming. Being secretary of Butler and Saunders Counties drainage, district No. 3, is one of his business connections.
Although he is not active in politics, he is a Republican. He is a baptized Catholic. Reading is his hobby. Residence: Linwood. (Photograph in Album).
Daniel Victor Blatter
Daniel Victor Blatter, banker, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, September 7, 1866, and on March 14, 1884, settled in Nebraska.
His father, John Blatter, was born in Tuscarawas County, Ohio, November 4, 1839, and died at Baltimore, Maryland, April 14, 1901. He was a merchant who served with the 98th Ohio Volunteer Infantry in the Civil War. His father and mother came to the United States from Switzerland in 1830. John Blatter married Mary Jane Demuth. She was of a Pennsylvania Dutch family who came originally from Moravia in Bohemia.
Mr. Blatter attended the public schools of Baltimore and the Baltimore City College. On coming to Nebraska he worked in the post office one year, and entered the service of Thompson and Baker, bankers, on April 1, 1885. He has been in the same bank since that time. The name of the bank is now the Albion National Bank. It was organized under the name of Thompson and Baker in December, 1881.
Mr. Blatter was married to Gertrude Mae Letson at Albion on June 5, 1889. She was born at Sparta, Wisconsin, September 5, 1869, and died at Albion, July 25, 1904. Six children were born to them, John and Edward, who died in infancy; Donald, born August 14, 1891, who married Laura Knight; Roger, born August 22, 1894, who married Eva Fleming; Oscar, born December 31, 1899, who married Helen Hardin; and Dorothy, born July 15, 1901. On April 14, 1910, Mr. Blatter was married to Carrie Edna Ross, nee Boots. She died at Albion, March 30, 1928.
During the late war Mr. Blatter was county chairman of War Saving Stamp drives. He is a member of Albion Congregational Church, is a Mason and a member of the Modern Woodmen of America. He is a life member of the Nebraskana Society, and a member of the Nebraska State Historical Society. During the World War he was chairman of Boone County Red Cross, and at the present time is a trustee of Doane College. Residence: Albion.
Frank Robert Blincow
Frank Robert Blincow was born at Fairmont, Nebraska, November 3, 1872, the son of William and Betsey Wykes (Howe) Blincow. His father, who was born at Long Buckby, England, December 7, 1831, and died at Colby, Kansas, July 10, 1903, was a farmer in Thomas County, Kansas, where he served as county judge and clerk of the court; his English ancestors came to this country in 1872. His mother was born at Long Buckby, January 26, 1838, and died at Norton, Kansas, December 17, 1915.
Mr. Blincow attended the rural schools of York County, Nebraska. He has been a farmer near Oxford, Nebraska, for many years, and at this time is a stockholder in the Oxford Co-operative Oil Company, the Oxford Equity Creamery, and the Farmers Equity Elevator in which he is a director. From 1912 to 1920, he served as a member of School District Number 17, and since 1925, has been a member of the Oxford Public School Board. He is one of the local people who made it possible to erect the Oxford General Hospital, and is a member of its board of directors. He is affiliated with the Methodist Episcopal Church.
Of his marriage to Millie Priscilla Brown three childwren (sic) were born: Harlan Robert, March 17, 1899, who served in the military training school in the late war and who married Mary Catherine Bailey; Ethel Irene, November 21, 1902, who married Kenneth Aikins; and Homer Brown, December 10, 1909. All the children were graduated from the Oxford High School. Residence: Oxford.
© 2005 for the NEGenWeb Project by Ted & Carole Miller